Author Topic: Jordan Henderson*  (Read 70625 times)

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
Re: Jordan Henderson*
« Reply #400 on: September 8, 2023, 01:06:06 am »
In contrast, it's been an eye-opener to read that another recent multi-CL-winning captain well into his mid 30s turned down a massive offer (20m euros a year or 400k a week) from Saudi Pro League which would have seen him reunite with an old team-mate.

And instead go back to his boyhood club for less than 20k a week, explaining he's not motivated by money (ignoring his last employer of 2 years), that instead he had a 'debt' to his father and grandfather, and that he made decisions with his heart.

Who is this bastion of morals making Henderson look like a c*nt? Why, that little scamp Sergio Ramos.

Its almost made me forgive him for Kiev. Not quite though. c*nt. 

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #401 on: September 8, 2023, 10:31:42 am »
I wonder if Henderson will go back to Sunderland after Saudi. I don't feel it currently.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: September 8, 2023, 10:35:11 am »
I wonder if Henderson will go back to Sunderland after Saudi. I don't feel it currently.
as long as it's not here!

god knows he'll try adn launder his image as soon as he's back - probably about 18 months, or whenever they decide to stop paying him (which would be a laugh)

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #403 on: September 8, 2023, 10:48:22 am »
I was thinking if I was a top professional footballer I would love to go back to my home town club. Complete the circle. Show the young ones just starting off what is possible. Give advise tell story's. Show honor and love for your neighbourhood or area. Henderson in his interview said he loves the game wants to develop it feels very hollow to me. Not a bright reflective fellow like all us RAWK members  ;D

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: September 8, 2023, 01:30:04 pm »
& we have the contrast to Modric, who has stated he has to work harder to try to get some playing time at Madrid and in the meantime offer advice and support to the younger talents as they take over the starting slots.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: September 8, 2023, 01:53:40 pm »
In contrast, it's been an eye-opener to read that another recent multi-CL-winning captain well into his mid 30s turned down a massive offer (20m euros a year or 400k a week) from Saudi Pro League which would have seen him reunite with an old team-mate.

And instead go back to his boyhood club for less than 20k a week, explaining he's not motivated by money (ignoring his last employer of 2 years), that instead he had a 'debt' to his father and grandfather, and that he made decisions with his heart.

Who is this bastion of morals making Henderson look like a c*nt? Why, that little scamp Sergio Ramos.

Imagine telling RAWK a year ago that Sergio Ramos would turn out to be less of a c*nt than Jordan Henderson  ;D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #406 on: September 8, 2023, 01:58:45 pm »
Imagine telling RAWK a year ago that Sergio Ramos would turn out to be less of a c*nt than Jordan Henderson  ;D

He is still a c*nt for what he did to Salah.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #407 on: September 8, 2023, 02:26:04 pm »

Would be nice to hear, occasionally, player has not accepted the generous offer from Saudi because he does not wish to disrupt his child's education and tear them away from their friends and extended family

that happens to loads of families every year when players accept moves abroad, not just Saudi.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: September 8, 2023, 02:33:47 pm »
I was thinking if I was a top professional footballer I would love to go back to my home town club. Complete the circle. Show the young ones just starting off what is possible. Give advise tell story's. Show honor and love for your neighbourhood or area. Henderson in his interview said he loves the game wants to develop it feels very hollow to me. Not a bright reflective fellow like all us RAWK members  ;D

The wanting to develop the game quote was the biggest load of bollocks he spouted during the interview. And it had a lot of competition. Why the fuck would a guy from Sunderland feel an innate need to progress football within Saudi Arabia? How would that benefit him or anybody close to him in any sort of way? And how exactly does he think his average, aging midfield skills will do it?
« Last Edit: September 8, 2023, 02:36:19 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #409 on: September 8, 2023, 02:39:17 pm »

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #410 on: September 8, 2023, 02:57:02 pm »

I read their forum the other day and their fans are more pissed off with him than we are if anything and not just after the interview. I don't know how much of that is just the Newcastle/Saudi thing though (I suspect a lot). He wouldn't be welcomed back there now.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #411 on: September 8, 2023, 04:10:50 pm »
It's amazing how someone who was respect for hard work, being a good leader, inspiring community etc as Hendo made himself look like a massive idiot in record time, actually baffling.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: September 8, 2023, 04:18:54 pm »
It's amazing how someone who was respect for hard work, being a good leader, inspiring community etc as Hendo made himself look like a massive idiot in record time, actually baffling.

We thought he had those values.  Personally, I'm doubting anything he ever told us.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #413 on: September 8, 2023, 07:05:53 pm »

'We Need To Talk About Jordan Henderson' - a 28 minute video from HITC Sevens:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YVoJtkFsnUk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YVoJtkFsnUk</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/YVoJtkFsnUk

'Former Liverpool captain and current England international Jordan Henderson joined Al-Ettifaq in the Saudi Pro League on enormous wages in July 2023.

Henderson's move to Saudi Arabia has been criticised due to his prior support for the LGBT community, but in a recent interview, he claimed money wasn't the reason for his move to the KSA, that his presence there was a positive, and even cast doubt on human rights abuses in both Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

In this video, HITC Sevens analyses Henderson's often laughable claims, his dishonesty, stupidity, and warped view of himself and the world.'
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: September 8, 2023, 07:12:10 pm »
He is still a c*nt for what he did to Salah.

This.

Plus, I bet he was hardly on buttons during a long and storied career at RM. I don't think any elite-level pro needs the kind of money Saudi are throwing around, but I'm hardly going to hold Sergio Fucking Ramos up as a bastion of morality for turning them down.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: September 8, 2023, 07:16:50 pm »
This.

Plus, I bet he was hardly on buttons during a long and storied career at RM. I don't think any elite-level pro needs the kind of money Saudi are throwing around, but I'm hardly going to hold Sergio Fucking Ramos up as a bastion of morality for turning them down.

Dunno, when a massive c*nt like him turns them down, it's an eye opener and showing a lot more honour than Hendo. Don't forget he who fannies about and dives around, he of the 26 odd cars including 2 Bugattis and probably the richest footballer in the world, had no qualms about taking the Saudi Blood Money
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: September 8, 2023, 07:24:17 pm »
Dunno, when a massive c*nt like him turns them down, it's an eye opener and showing a lot more honour than Hendo. Don't forget he who fannies about and dives around, he of the 26 odd cars including 2 Bugattis and probably the richest footballer in the world, had no qualms about taking the Saudi Blood Money

It's just ego and self awareness, mate. In his head, he's played for the biggest club on the planet and won bundles of silverware. He knows Saudi have nothing to offer him except money, which he already has.

By contrast, I reckon Henderson has a bad case of imposter syndrome and has always felt insecure about himself and how he was perceived. I bet in part his support for LGBTQ rights was out of a desire for approval from the public, a form of validation seeking.  He was a weak nut who proved easy for Saudi to crack.

Ramos' ego just tells him he is way too big and too successful to even need to entertain the idea for playing for Saudi, even though he might dress it up in humbler terms. The bottom line is he feels he can afford to do his own think and doesn't need any kind of ego stroking. He's done it all and won it all and has nothing to prove to anybody. Jordan couldn't even win over a chunk of his own LFC fanbase.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: September 8, 2023, 07:25:47 pm »

Other players have turned them down and hopefully this will continue to happen.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #418 on: September 8, 2023, 08:25:46 pm »
We thought he had those values.  Personally, I'm doubting anything he ever told us.

He just had effective PR (pre this interview anyway).

The way he engineered that last contract out of the club (which he didn't need with 2 years to run and over 30) was ruthless as fuck, making all kinds of demands and using the media. That never sat right but showed a different side to the Henderson brand.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #419 on: September 8, 2023, 09:59:00 pm »

And instead go back to his boyhood club for less than 20k a week, explaining he's not motivated by money
Only 20k per week?
How does he survive
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: September 9, 2023, 01:02:23 am »
Dunno, when a massive c*nt like him turns them down, it's an eye opener and showing a lot more honour than Hendo.

Is fucking right Rob.

It's just ego and self awareness, mate. In his head, he's played for the biggest club on the planet and won bundles of silverware. He knows Saudi have nothing to offer him except money, which he already has.

By contrast, I reckon Henderson has a bad case of imposter syndrome and has always felt insecure about himself and how he was perceived. I bet in part his support for LGBTQ rights was out of a desire for approval from the public, a form of validation seeking.  He was a weak nut who proved easy for Saudi to crack.

Ramos' ego just tells him he is way too big and too successful to even need to entertain the idea for playing for Saudi, even though he might dress it up in humbler terms. The bottom line is he feels he can afford to do his own think and doesn't need any kind of ego stroking. He's done it all and won it all and has nothing to prove to anybody. Jordan couldn't even win over a chunk of his own LFC fanbase.

This is trying to rationalise Ramos's actions to let Hendo off the hook as far as I'm concerned. Sergio Ramos was probably my most hated player on the pitch, I despised the c*nt. But some things are bigger than football. He's shown himself to be a better man than Jordan Henderson in the last few weeks.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #421 on: September 9, 2023, 01:25:07 am »
'We Need To Talk About Jordan Henderson' - a 28 minute video from HITC Sevens:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YVoJtkFsnUk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YVoJtkFsnUk</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/YVoJtkFsnUk

'Former Liverpool captain and current England international Jordan Henderson joined Al-Ettifaq in the Saudi Pro League on enormous wages in July 2023.

Henderson's move to Saudi Arabia has been criticised due to his prior support for the LGBT community, but in a recent interview, he claimed money wasn't the reason for his move to the KSA, that his presence there was a positive, and even cast doubt on human rights abuses in both Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

In this video, HITC Sevens analyses Henderson's often laughable claims, his dishonesty, stupidity, and warped view of himself and the world.'

I dropped in to see if this had been posted. Scathing, sarcastic and absolutely dead-fucking-on.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: September 9, 2023, 08:12:50 am »
This.

In directly quoting my post (without quoting, Moyes-style), I think you might have missed the tongue in cheek aspect of calling Ramos a "bastion of morality". Likewise, you've missed the comment referring to him already having quietly benefited from a couple of seasons of insane Qatari wages at PSG.

The point being it's not exactly the grand gesture he's making out to turn the Saudi offer down, but yet he did, and in doing so, what we know of his character, only further shows Henderson up by comparison.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: September 9, 2023, 08:15:25 am »
Other players have turned them down and hopefully this will continue to happen.
It's all very LIV though isn't it. And look how that's panned out.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: September 9, 2023, 08:18:56 am »
Only 20k per week?
How does he survive
You might want to remember from the Messi/Barcelona debacle, that La Liga don't allow players to play for nothing or minimal wage.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: September 9, 2023, 10:13:30 am »
Looks like he's starting for England tonight according to Sky. Saudi move hasn't harmed his international claims then yet.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: September 9, 2023, 10:19:20 am »
Is fucking right Rob.

This is trying to rationalise Ramos's actions to let Hendo off the hook as far as I'm concerned. Sergio Ramos was probably my most hated player on the pitch, I despised the c*nt. But some things are bigger than football. He's shown himself to be a better man than Jordan Henderson in the last few weeks.

Hardly. I utterly condemn Henderson for his actions. I'm saying Henderson was mentally weak and full of doubt of himself as a footballer, and likely a person. But explaining his behaviour doesn't excuse it.

Ramos turned them down because he's got a massive fucking ego and knew all Saudi had to offer him was money, which he knew he didn't need.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: September 9, 2023, 10:29:44 am »
In directly quoting my post (without quoting, Moyes-style), I think you might have missed the tongue in cheek aspect of calling Ramos a "bastion of morality". Likewise, you've missed the comment referring to him already having quietly benefited from a couple of seasons of insane Qatari wages at PSG.

The point being it's not exactly the grand gesture he's making out to turn the Saudi offer down, but yet he did, and in doing so, what we know of his character, only further shows Henderson up by comparison.

Yeah, admittedly some of the tongue in cheek flew a few inches over my head, although I did have a "not sure if serious " moment. ;D

I'll grant Ramos this - he definitely didn't want to be used as a political plaything and definitely wanted to go back to his old club. I admire that. But as you say, he's made plenty of Petro-dollars and he doesn't measure his worth by what he does on the pitch.

Henderson was a very good footballer for a time, but he was never worth £700k a week, even at his peak. And he knows that. In contrast, Salah could double his wages fairly easily, but he knows we could never afford to pay him that. Yet he chooses to stay with us. Why? Because he knows how good he is and has nothing to prove to anyone.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: September 9, 2023, 10:56:10 am »
Looks like he's starting for England tonight according to Sky. Saudi move hasn't harmed his international claims then yet.

Southgate doing the Saudis a massive favour if he does, they'll be loving it.

Lets see if he calls up any players from the championship in the next few months seen as they will be playing at a far higher level now.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: September 9, 2023, 11:36:16 am »

Says more about the England squad when you have to call up 33-year old players from the 68th ranked league in the world.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: September 9, 2023, 11:38:07 am »
Hardly surprising. Southgate would be that guy feigning a split-second ankle injury climbing the ladder out of the trenches when the whistle blew.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: September 9, 2023, 11:41:31 am »

I doubt he'd have gone there if it did, he would have spoken to Southgate beforehand.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #432 on: September 9, 2023, 11:47:10 am »
I dropped in to see if this had been posted. Scathing, sarcastic and absolutely dead-fucking-on.

Yes, and the video is quite good too. (I'm here all week - sorry!)

Quality video - well worth 28 minutes of anyone's time.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: September 9, 2023, 11:49:05 am »
Ramos turned them down because he's got a massive fucking ego and knew all Saudi had to offer him was money, which he knew he didn't need.
Disagree. If that were true, he'd have accepted the insane riches AND the adulation/spotlight that comes with being one of their top tier imports like Ronaldo and Neymar.

In fact, his actions returning to Sevilla demonstrate a lack or at least tempering of ego. I never saw him as egotistical, just a nasty piece of work who was willing to do whatever to win and he clearly revelled in being hated for it. Zero fucks given and all that.

Now however, he knows his footballing career is all but finished and wants to give something back to his old club and their young players before Grandfather Time yoinks his knee for the last time (karma would have him slipping in the shower or showing off in the garden with his kids). It may be withered and scorched, but Sergio Ramos, deep down, has a semblance of a soul. You can call him a c*nt all you like, and you'd be right. But he's not an embarrassing hypocrite.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2023, 11:50:57 am by rossipersempre »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: September 9, 2023, 11:55:37 am »
Disagree. If that were true, he'd have accepted the insane riches AND the adulation/spotlight that comes with being one of their top tier imports like Ronaldo and Neymar.

In fact, his actions returning to Sevilla demonstrate a lack or at least tempering of ego. I never saw him as egotistical, just a nasty piece of work who was willing to do whatever to win and he clearly revelled in being hated for it. Zero fucks given and all that.

Now however, he knows his footballing career is all but finished and wants to give something back to his old club and their young players before Grandfather Time yoinks his knee for the last time (karma would have him slipping in the shower or showing off in the garden with his kids). It may be withered and scorched, but Sergio Ramos, deep down, has a semblance of a soul. You can call him a c*nt all you like, and you'd be right. But he's not an embarrassing hypocrite.

We're all about opinions here. I understand kind of why Ronaldo went. He's obsessed with playing, and you saw at United how frustrated he was that his body simply couldn't do the things it used to do anymore. He has a massive ego that needs constant stroking, so he happily fucked off to a small pond where he could still play at being a big fish.

Ramos, for all his ability, is not Ronaldo, or Messi. A wise man knows his limitations. Unlike Ronaldo, he feels he has nothing left to prove, so going back to his home club is his hobby time. Basically the equivalent of retirement and pottering about on your allotment three days a week. Essentially, he's just more grounded in reality than a lot of these other footballers.

But yes, he is still a cnut. ;D

EDIT: You can have a massive ego and still be grounded, ie secure. Just as you can have a massive ego that's weak, or unstable.

I'm not going to get into some deep, psychological analysis of footie players, but Ramos spent 16 years at Real Madrid as a defender. In a world where the AM's and strikers largely get the plaudits, it wouldn't surprise me at all that Ramos is more grounded. But you don't spend 16 years at Real Madrid and NOT have a massive ego. You're surrounded by massive egos, so without one of your own you would quickly be crushed. Not to mention the fans who will rip you to pieces there if you are not instantly successful.

Henderson seemingly has neither a massive ego or a secure one. He is a kid gloves player who confuses a fat pay check with adulation.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2023, 12:04:06 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: September 9, 2023, 12:12:59 pm »
We're all about opinions here. I understand kind of why Ronaldo went. He's obsessed with playing, and you saw at United how frustrated he was that his body simply couldn't do the things it used to do anymore. He has a massive ego that needs constant stroking, so he happily fucked off to a small pond where he could still play at being a big fish.

Ramos, for all his ability, is not Ronaldo, or Messi. A wise man knows his limitations. Unlike Ronaldo, he feels he has nothing left to prove, so going back to his home club is his hobby time. Basically the equivalent of retirement and pottering about on your allotment three days a week. Essentially, he's just more grounded in reality than a lot of these other footballers.

But yes, he is still a cnut. ;D
I think we're circling around the point I made the other day about a player's psyche. You can tell the ones who have a degree of intelligence and know this short-lived career can be just a prelude to a second act in their lives, one where they can enjoy the trappings and influence they used to have just in a different capacity, maybe a football exec/CEO or agent themselves.

Then you have players like, and I'm using random examples here, Maguire, Kane, etc. who know full well, they've got nothing to look forward to after retirement, except watching YouTube compilations of themselves (Maguire might want to give this a miss, he'd struggle with the remote in any case). What's left after the hangers-on have disappeared, once the kids have left the family soulless mansion, and the wife is fucking the pool boy? They have nothing to stimulate their lonely brain cell. So the end of their football careers terrifies them, unless they're a shoe-in for a media punditry gig.

Ronaldo however is a different animal altogether, he's not wired normally, an ego the size of a planet, totally obsessed with his own legacy and you only have to look at his family background to understand why.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: September 9, 2023, 12:22:21 pm »

I'm not going to get into some deep, psychological analysis of footie players, but Ramos spent 16 years at Real Madrid as a defender. In a world where the AM's and strikers largely get the plaudits, it wouldn't surprise me at all that Ramos is more grounded. But you don't spend 16 years at Real Madrid and NOT have a massive ego. You're surrounded by massive egos, so without one of your own you would quickly be crushed. Not to mention the fans who will rip you to pieces there if you are not instantly successful.
Still not buying the 'ego' shout. You're forgetting that Ramos was the poster child of Perez' policy change from the Galactico era to acquiring as much world class home-grown Spanish talent (non-Catalan obviously) as possible. He was Perez' Rottweiler and captain. That gave him a security and self-belief in his own particular talents (headed goals from corners and the 'dark arts') within the team no matter which players came and went during that long period. He danced to his own tune. Not the same as ego.

But enough, think we're flogging this dead horse now. Once the disappointment and anger (for some) at Henderson's selfish behaviour and hypocritical actions have died down, the most fitting way to remember him as a Liverpool footballer is with complete indifference. I've been there for a long time to be honest, was only surprised he tarnished his reputation like this. Idiot.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2023, 12:27:39 pm by rossipersempre »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #437 on: September 9, 2023, 02:04:40 pm »

It wasn't just his body, was it? Defenders wouldn't let him do his old tricks either. The game (as well as just time) caught up with Ronaldo. The step-over, for example, became obsolete several years ago but Ronaldo kept on using it. I guess it still works in Saudi Arabia? 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #438 on: September 9, 2023, 02:36:35 pm »
to be honest, I think Henderson could have been replaced by any other workmanlike midfielder. A James Ward-Prowse could arguably do what he’s done from a footballing perspective.

Even if we don't like Henderson anymore, is this sort of revisionism really necessary? He was the captain for a team that got 99 points and would have got more if necessary, we were the best non cheating team in the world by a mile, it's not the sort of thing you achieve by carrying passengers or that just any other player could have been a key part of.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #439 on: September 9, 2023, 02:37:38 pm »
The step-over, for example, became obsolete several years ago but Ronaldo kept on using it. I guess it still works in Saudi Arabia? 

Someone didn't let Mbappe know about this, he spams step-overs every game.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.