Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1430408 times)

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #5240 on: February 7, 2019, 03:27:33 pm »
Jesus of City saying they thought the title was lost after the Newcastle game,get the feeling they were ready to concentrate on the champions league.

If we can create a six point gap we may break their resolve,hopefully!

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5241 on: February 7, 2019, 03:35:53 pm »
I find everything about football tiring now. Just people endlessly talking shit about nothing. It's 24/7.
Seriously, take me back to watching a game, watching match of the day, reading the match report on ceefax, talking to your mates about it on Monday then getting on with your life for the rest of the week.

I agree with this. Though you can still do this to a degree if you don't consume most or all of the peripheral stuff around football.

The biggest thing for me, and what drives a lot of this, is the constant interaction with fans of other teams. Growing up in Liverpool in the late 80's and early 90's I literally had no interaction with fans of any other team except Everton. To be fair, with the more limited amount of football on the TV, you had less interaction or awareness of any other team compared to now. It's probably why I'm only really bothered by how we do, and to a lesser extent how Everton and United do.  In my opinion, all the other teams are generally just teams we play every now and then. From a personal perspective it's why I can't really understand people who have a massive dislike for City, Spurs or Arsenal for example.

With social media platforms, wall to wall football coverage on TV, football phone-ins there's much more interaction between rival fans nowadays. In an ever competitive market, a lot of these media platforms generate pseudo fan rivalries to initiate debate and controversy. This perpetuated by some on social media where loads of people use this platform to point score with rival fans. Loads give it out when we are winning. Loads of rival fans bring it back when we struggle. Even if that's only for a game or 2.I don't think this creates a healthy environment around football. Every team that even competes for a competition together has this built up, pseudo rivalry. Every win is built up bigger than it is, every setback is taken as the end of the World.

It's not a healthy way to consume any Sport or pastime. The best way is to block out all the peripheral stuff and to take no notice of it. Don't engage with it. That's the approach I've taken over the last few years and I've enjoyed football loads more as a consequence.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #5242 on: February 7, 2019, 03:40:16 pm »
Jesus of City saying they thought the title was lost after the Newcastle game,get the feeling they were ready to concentrate on the champions league.

We’ve lost the points gap so they know we can do it again. No chance of that happening

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5243 on: February 7, 2019, 03:41:05 pm »
If you have a minute (or five) read this brilliant article by Daniel Storey, don't think I have seen an article get it so right on so many levels before.

https://www.football365.com/news/the-2018-19-premier-league-title-race-expose-the-fraud
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5244 on: February 7, 2019, 03:44:15 pm »
If you have a minute (or five) read this brilliant article by Daniel Storey, don't think I have seen an article get it so right on so many levels before.

https://www.football365.com/news/the-2018-19-premier-league-title-race-expose-the-fraud

It's spot on. Should be essential reading for any football fan with a social media login.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #5245 on: February 7, 2019, 03:52:26 pm »

Interesting!

And quite revealing. Where did he say this?

Weird to see "Jesus of City" in print when so used to seeing "Jesus of Nazareth" !!

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5246 on: February 7, 2019, 03:55:58 pm »

Weird to see "Jesus of City" in print when so used to seeing "Jesus of Nazareth" !!

No loyalty in football anymore

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5247 on: February 7, 2019, 03:58:01 pm »
Interesting!

And quite revealing. Where did he say this?

Seen it on football 365 on newsnow,also says they need to win every game.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5248 on: February 7, 2019, 04:03:23 pm »
It could all change big time in a couple of days
Liverpool take all their anger out and beat Bournemouth 5-0
Man City lose to Chelsea 0-2
We go 3 points clear with a game in hand
Goal Difference sorted in our favour too.
And possible 6 points clear with the better goal difference and 12 games to go.
Win 9 of those and draw 3 . Job done. Champions

i like you

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5249 on: February 7, 2019, 04:33:10 pm »
I have to say, I wish the players would stop coming out and talking about how confident they are on winning the title and instead show it on the pitch.

They are just setting up their own cross to be crucified on.

And no, I'm not saying they have to play it down, rather, keep it quiet. Let their football do the talking.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5250 on: February 7, 2019, 04:40:02 pm »
I have to say, I wish the players would stop coming out and talking about how confident they are on winning the title and instead show it on the pitch.

Can you link to an article where one of our players has done this? There was some Mane quotes doing the rounds a few weeks ago which he almost immediately denied he said. I can't recall any of our other players saying anything of the sort.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5251 on: February 7, 2019, 04:44:51 pm »
Can you link to an article where one of our players has done this? There was some Mane quotes doing the rounds a few weeks ago which he almost immediately denied he said. I can't recall any of our other players saying anything of the sort.

They haven't it's nonsense. every one of them have said that they are taking it one game at a time. No player has said anything other than that. They treat each game as a final and that they aren't getting ahead of themselves

Offline Rawkybalboa

• "I wouldn't have a clue..."
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • somebody puts his hand on u, send him2the grave
« Reply #5252 on: February 7, 2019, 04:55:48 pm »
i like you

I like you too. Please tell me your 6 foot tall, blonde and with a big pair of hooters  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5253 on: February 7, 2019, 04:58:43 pm »
I know Lovren said a few things that had me wishing he'd kept his mouth shut.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11586485/dejan-lovren-says-liverpool-can-win-the-title-by-being-invincible

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/27/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-title-puzzle-dejan-lovren-salah

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-can-be-invincibles-just-like-arsenal-insists-lovren-37643388.html
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 05:00:46 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5255 on: February 7, 2019, 05:06:17 pm »
CAN

Would you prefer him to say that we cannot ?

Exactly. he's said nothing wrong. He was asked questions '' can we win it'' ''can we be unbeaten'' sure we can, we'll try, its tough, it's a challenge but we are only looking one game at a time.

So

1. Instead of posting links, post the full context of the article and quotes
2. There have been no other instances of any other player saying anything remotely similar to what is suggested

I.e fake news

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5256 on: February 7, 2019, 05:06:22 pm »
I agree with this. Though you can still do this to a degree if you don't consume most or all of the peripheral stuff around football.

The biggest thing for me, and what drives a lot of this, is the constant interaction with fans of other teams. Growing up in Liverpool in the late 80's and early 90's I literally had no interaction with fans of any other team except Everton. To be fair, with the more limited amount of football on the TV, you had less interaction or awareness of any other team compared to now. It's probably why I'm only really bothered by how we do, and to a lesser extent how Everton and United do.  In my opinion, all the other teams are generally just teams we play every now and then. From a personal perspective it's why I can't really understand people who have a massive dislike for City, Spurs or Arsenal for example.

With social media platforms, wall to wall football coverage on TV, football phone-ins there's much more interaction between rival fans nowadays. In an ever competitive market, a lot of these media platforms generate pseudo fan rivalries to initiate debate and controversy. This perpetuated by some on social media where loads of people use this platform to point score with rival fans. Loads give it out when we are winning. Loads of rival fans bring it back when we struggle. Even if that's only for a game or 2.I don't think this creates a healthy environment around football. Every team that even competes for a competition together has this built up, pseudo rivalry. Every win is built up bigger than it is, every setback is taken as the end of the World.

It's not a healthy way to consume any Sport or pastime. The best way is to block out all the peripheral stuff and to take no notice of it. Don't engage with it. That's the approach I've taken over the last few years and I've enjoyed football loads more as a consequence.

Amen. And life in general.

I think despite us having more information at our fingertips the internet (and in particular social media) has in fact made us more stupid, less able to actually have our own opinion, more likely to regurgitate someone else's extreme opinion (dressed as facts...).

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5257 on: February 7, 2019, 05:29:08 pm »
Fuck me, not back to this bullshit about Lovren again  :butt
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5258 on: February 7, 2019, 05:32:24 pm »

It's that time of month

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #5259 on: February 7, 2019, 05:33:05 pm »

Needs to be required reading...
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5260 on: February 7, 2019, 05:36:22 pm »
CAN

Would you prefer him to say that we cannot ?

Personally, I prefer players to be a lot more clever when answering questions. You know full well that people can't wait to twist anything that's said. If I were a player they'd get nothing out of me they could twist. ''Can you win the title?''  Me - ''Who knows? We will do what we can. Let's wait and see... '' It doesn't make headlines and sell papers, but it also doesn't stir the opposition up either. It's all psychology. Poker too. Don't show your hand. Never set yourself up for a fall.

I wish Lovren had not said those things. There are lots of ways to address a question. Plenty wished he'd not said it at the time too. I like the guy, so no axe to grind with him otherwise.

As I said, that's just my personal take. I'll leave it to deano2727 to highlight his point further if he'd like to.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #5261 on: February 7, 2019, 05:36:56 pm »
Nobody should be telling anyone how to feel at the minute. It's new ground. People could do with being more understanding. If someone is a bit hysterical, think of it like being shut in the lift with someone who's claustraphobic. Are you going to shout at them and tell them to pull themselves together if they're hyperventilating? If you are, chances are you're a twat.

Question - am I in 1970s London and am I Peter Vaughan?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5262 on: February 7, 2019, 05:39:11 pm »
Personally, I prefer players to be a lot more clever when answering questions. You know full well that people can't wait to twist anything that's said. If I were a player they'd get nothing out of me they could twist. ''Can you win the title?''  Me - ''Who knows? We will do what we can. Let's wait and see... '' It doesn't make headlines and sell papers, but it also doesn't stir the opposition up either. It's all psychology. Poker too. Don't show your hand. Never set yourself up for a fall.

I wish Lovren had not said those things. There are lots of ways to address a question. Plenty wished he'd not said it at the time too. I like the guy, so no axe to grind with him otherwise.

As I said, that's just my personal take. I'll leave it to deano2727 to highlight his point further if he'd like to.

Lovren DOUBTS Liverpool title credentials, Klopp FUMING at star player.

You can make a headline out of anything, literally anything and shape it any way you want. Of course these days the headline rarely actually reflects the body of the article.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5263 on: February 7, 2019, 05:41:18 pm »
Lovren DOUBTS Liverpool title credentials, Klopp FUMING at star player.

You can make a headline out of anything, literally anything and shape it any way you want. Of course these days the headline rarely actually reflects the body of the article.

And that's why I like my footballers to do their talking on the pitch.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5264 on: February 7, 2019, 05:41:52 pm »

World Cup hangover has defeatist Son of Spion doubting Liverpools credentials.

Klopp Mucho ANGRY.

See Red beat me to it and yet both our headlines are virtually the same.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5265 on: February 7, 2019, 05:45:45 pm »
And that's why I like my footballers to do their talking on the pitch.

They have obligations, someone has to go for the interviews, as people have often said in his defence he doesn't just wake up in the morning and ring up the Telegraph or Independent. I suppose he could take a leaf out of Marshawn Lynch's playbook but the gutter press here wouldn't stand for that.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5266 on: February 7, 2019, 05:46:43 pm »
World Cup hangover has defeatist Son of Spion doubting Liverpools credentials.

Klopp Mucho ANGRY.
:D

Funny enough, I doubt very much that a wise owl like Klopp would be angry at any of his players playing down our title chances. This game is about what you do on the field, but it's also played in your head. Psychology plays a massive part in it. How often do we hear about 'mentality' in football and certainly in becoming champions. Letting outsiders think you doubt yourself, whilst inside you know the opposite can be very, very useful. Many a ruthless bastard has a calm, unassuming exterior.

« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 05:52:51 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #5267 on: February 7, 2019, 05:46:55 pm »

TBF, when he said that, we were two points behind having played the same number of games. Now we've caught up the points and have a game in hand. But this disaster can all be traced backed to a fairly rote and innocuous answer to a question 6 weeks ago.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5268 on: February 7, 2019, 05:47:19 pm »
Alisson was talking about the teams confidence that they can win the title this time. Not the worst thing in the world to say, but I prefer Klopps approach. One game at a time, lets see where we finish. Avoids giving anyone the chance to get the daggers out if it goes tits up. Nice to hear they are confident though.

Just my view.  :wave

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5269 on: February 7, 2019, 05:48:18 pm »
TBF, when he said that, we were two points behind having played the same number of games. Now we've caught up the points and have a game in hand. But this disaster can all be traced backed to a fairly rote and innocuous answer to a question 6 weeks ago.

I'm still waiting for UEFA to kickstart their crusade to have him banned indefinitely since his Ramos comments.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5270 on: February 7, 2019, 05:48:32 pm »
Should add "Sponsored by Pampers" to the thread title
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5271 on: February 7, 2019, 05:50:30 pm »
They have obligations, someone has to go for the interviews, as people have often said in his defence he doesn't just wake up in the morning and ring up the Telegraph or Independent. I suppose he could take a leaf out of Marshawn Lynch's playbook but the gutter press here wouldn't stand for that.
As I said. I like Lovren and have no axe to grind with him at all. Posters asked for quotes. I posted a few quotes. Nothing much to see here other than that.
Some seem to think I have an issue with Lovren himself, but I don't at all. It's a footballer thing. Sometimes footballers say stuff that is ripe to backfire in their faces. We see it all the time. Clearly my take on how psychology in sport works is different from other posters here. That's fine.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5272 on: February 7, 2019, 05:51:42 pm »
Please change the subject before Al shows up.

Lovren to Al is like the bat signal is to Batman :D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5273 on: February 7, 2019, 05:53:11 pm »
As I said. I like Lovren and have no axe to grind with him at all. Posters asked for quotes. I posted a few quotes. Nothing much to see here other than that.
Some seem to think I have an issue with Lovren himself, but I don't at all. It's a footballer thing. Sometimes footballers say stuff that is ripe to backfire in their faces. We see it all the time. Clearly my take on how psychology in sport works is different from other posters here. That's fine.

No I don't think you have a problem with him, sorry if it comes across that way, but the club have media obligations and someone has to do these interviews. I was just trying to show any sort of answer can be used as a shock and awe headline.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5274 on: February 7, 2019, 05:53:42 pm »
Please change the subject before Al shows up.

Lovren to Al is like the bat signal is to Batman :D

Yeah I might delete that post about UEFA.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5275 on: February 7, 2019, 06:00:20 pm »
Should add "Sponsored by Pampers" to the thread title

Piss up the front and shit at the back?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5276 on: February 7, 2019, 06:01:05 pm »
No I don't think you have a problem with him, sorry if it comes across that way, but the club have media obligations and someone has to do these interviews. I was just trying to show any sort of answer can be used as a shock and awe headline.
Of course, and I agree with you. Anything can be twisted and usually is. Personally speaking, my approach would always be cautious. I'd much prefer to play it down even if inside I was adamant we were going to do it. That's just my approach to the psychology of psyching out opponents. As I said at the end of another post - many a ruthless bastard has a calm, unassuming exterior. If others think you doubt yourself, all the better. It breeds complacency within them.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5277 on: February 7, 2019, 06:04:29 pm »
Of course, and I agree with you. Anything can be twisted and usually is. Personally speaking, my approach would always be cautious. I'd much prefer to play it down even if inside I was adamant we were going to do it. That's just my approach to the psychology of psyching out opponents. As I said at the end of another post - many a ruthless bastard has a calm, unassuming exterior. If others think you doubt yourself, all the better. It breeds complacency within them.

Fair enough way of looking at it.  :)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5278 on: February 7, 2019, 06:05:42 pm »
Alisson was talking about the teams confidence that they can win the title this time. Not the worst thing in the world to say, but I prefer Klopps approach. One game at a time, lets see where we finish. Avoids giving anyone the chance to get the daggers out if it goes tits up. Nice to hear they are confident though.

Just my view.  :wave
Exactly. I've had a little stick on this  :) but all I advocate is Klopp's own approach.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5279 on: February 7, 2019, 06:08:37 pm »
Fair enough way of looking at it.  :)
:thumbup