Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1425218 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #5280 on: February 7, 2019, 06:12:30 pm »
Exactly. I've had a little stick on this  :) but all I advocate is Klopp's own approach.

At Anfield on Saturday, both Aldo and Phil Neal said the same thing. Neal said they just ticked off each game and saw how many points they had at the end.

Maybe we should send Kenny to do all the interviews in future?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5281 on: February 7, 2019, 06:17:07 pm »
Back on track, big game Saturday so why are we not talking about that? Wheres the thread lads as actually be there for once :) Will be nearly a full side to choose from so fully expecting to be leading the chase again by Sun!!!!!
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5282 on: February 7, 2019, 06:41:09 pm »
Please change the subject before Al shows up.

Lovren to Al is like the bat signal is to Batman :D

😂

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5283 on: February 7, 2019, 07:03:08 pm »
Back on track, big game Saturday so why are we not talking about that? Wheres the thread lads as actually be there for once :) Will be nearly a full side to choose from so fully expecting to be leading the chase again by Sun!!!!!

Big weekend, we can go back to 3 pts clear and if Chelsea can get a win, we then have a game in hand too.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #5284 on: February 7, 2019, 07:14:06 pm »
Should add "Sponsored by Pampers" to the thread title
Huggies are much better, they fit better and they last longer. They cost less as well...
I should know- I've spawned 3 copies- spanning 16 years! :)
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 07:18:35 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #5285 on: February 7, 2019, 07:18:35 pm »
Huggies are much better, they fit better and they last longer. They cost less as well...
I should know- I've got 3- spanning 16 years! :)

You have three Huggies, spanning 16 years?

They must bloody reek at this stage, no?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #5286 on: February 7, 2019, 07:19:40 pm »
You have three Huggies, spanning 16 years?

They must bloody reek at this stage, no?
Haha - care to Hug? ;D
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #5287 on: February 7, 2019, 07:33:38 pm »
I agree with this. Though you can still do this to a degree if you don't consume most or all of the peripheral stuff around football.

The biggest thing for me, and what drives a lot of this, is the constant interaction with fans of other teams. Growing up in Liverpool in the late 80's and early 90's I literally had no interaction with fans of any other team except Everton. To be fair, with the more limited amount of football on the TV, you had less interaction or awareness of any other team compared to now. It's probably why I'm only really bothered by how we do, and to a lesser extent how Everton and United do.  In my opinion, all the other teams are generally just teams we play every now and then. From a personal perspective it's why I can't really understand people who have a massive dislike for City, Spurs or Arsenal for example.

With social media platforms, wall to wall football coverage on TV, football phone-ins there's much more interaction between rival fans nowadays. In an ever competitive market, a lot of these media platforms generate pseudo fan rivalries to initiate debate and controversy. This perpetuated by some on social media where loads of people use this platform to point score with rival fans. Loads give it out when we are winning. Loads of rival fans bring it back when we struggle. Even if that's only for a game or 2.I don't think this creates a healthy environment around football. Every team that even competes for a competition together has this built up, pseudo rivalry. Every win is built up bigger than it is, every setback is taken as the end of the World.

It's not a healthy way to consume any Sport or pastime. The best way is to block out all the peripheral stuff and to take no notice of it. Don't engage with it. That's the approach I've taken over the last few years and I've enjoyed football loads more as a consequence.
This, this and this.

Can this post be made a sticky?

I'm with you on this. I really couldn't give a shit about other teams. I too grew up with just Everton and Utd as 'rivals', all the rest were just other teams from other parts of the country.

I can see a bit of a divide in our fan base and it's basically based on age.

You get the ones who experienced our last title - in their 40s and above?
And those that didn't.

The older heads seem to be calmer and are a calming influence.
The younger fans seem to be buzzing their tits off at every beep on social media that their phones alert them of.
Older fans are a lot more patient too with larger setbacks. Younger ones tend to implode even when a player makes a misplaced pass.
I even notice this divide with other clubs fans. You don't have to look further than Liverpool. A lot of the older blues that we knocked around with are no bother, still proper mates....whereas the younger reds and blues behave like kids in a playground at times...most times.
It's depressing.
We need to win the league soon so that these younger phone-obsessed fans get blooded in and hopefully lose some of their propensity to premature ejaculate after each stimulus.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5288 on: February 7, 2019, 07:38:38 pm »
I agree with this. Though you can still do this to a degree if you don't consume most or all of the peripheral stuff around football.

The biggest thing for me, and what drives a lot of this, is the constant interaction with fans of other teams. Growing up in Liverpool in the late 80's and early 90's I literally had no interaction with fans of any other team except Everton. To be fair, with the more limited amount of football on the TV, you had less interaction or awareness of any other team compared to now. It's probably why I'm only really bothered by how we do, and to a lesser extent how Everton and United do.  In my opinion, all the other teams are generally just teams we play every now and then. From a personal perspective it's why I can't really understand people who have a massive dislike for City, Spurs or Arsenal for example.

With social media platforms, wall to wall football coverage on TV, football phone-ins there's much more interaction between rival fans nowadays. In an ever competitive market, a lot of these media platforms generate pseudo fan rivalries to initiate debate and controversy. This perpetuated by some on social media where loads of people use this platform to point score with rival fans. Loads give it out when we are winning. Loads of rival fans bring it back when we struggle. Even if that's only for a game or 2.I don't think this creates a healthy environment around football. Every team that even competes for a competition together has this built up, pseudo rivalry. Every win is built up bigger than it is, every setback is taken as the end of the World.

It's not a healthy way to consume any Sport or pastime. The best way is to block out all the peripheral stuff and to take no notice of it. Don't engage with it. That's the approach I've taken over the last few years and I've enjoyed football loads more as a consequence.

Good post.

It's also about "Bragging rights" and "Bantz". A lot of fan reaction is not driven by knowledge, but by how their rival-fan mates will treat them. Hence the absolute nonsense hysteria over what players and managers say in the press, the hysteria about signings or lack thereof, the hysteria about manager choices, the lack of time given to managers and players, and the up-and-down nature of match reaction depending solely on the result. It's not driven by the process, but by the expected outcome from their social circles.

Basically, a lot of supporters have become big babies.

Offline redman64

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5289 on: February 7, 2019, 08:03:25 pm »
If you have a minute (or five) read this brilliant article by Daniel Storey, don't think I have seen an article get it so right on so many levels before.

https://www.football365.com/news/the-2018-19-premier-league-title-race-expose-the-fraud
Fantastic read and never a truer word said. Says everything about modern society and the unavoidable acceptance of the keyboard warrior. As has been said, there's nothing to do but ignore the social-media hype and leave the tribalistic fume to itself

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5290 on: February 7, 2019, 09:21:18 pm »

I can see a bit of a divide in our fan base and it's basically based on age.

You get the ones who experienced our last title - in their 40s and above?
And those that didn't.

I think that's a bit of a generalisation. I do think the younger fans are getting their knickers in twist a bit, but there's loads of older fans losing their heads out there too. My old fella goes the game all the time and has done for 50 odd year and in the heat of the moment he was saying the title race was over after we drew with Leicester!

This is a sweeping generalisation on my part but I do see a split, based on age but also location, with how people choose to interact with rival fans. This in turn makes how people view football differently and in particular it seems to become very much results based in a lot of fans eyes. I think PoP nailed one of the things I believe, maybe unfairly, about a lot of football fans nowadays.

A lot of fan reaction is not driven by knowledge, but by how their rival-fan mates will treat them.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5291 on: February 7, 2019, 09:44:03 pm »
I think it's a bit too simplistic just dividing it on age. I rightly got called out for it on the Brexit thread when I was angry at the larger number of old people who voted leave. I think it comes down to your psyche as an individual more than what age you are. There's plenty of older people getting there knickers in a twist on here as well, not just the younger folk.

There is some validity to the argument that people who spend too much time 'bantering' on social media with other fans are more likely to be of the bedwetting propensity but it's not just young fans doing this. Again it comes back to your own personal outlook on life and whether you get nervous easily or look at the glass as being half empty.

I think you'll find a lot of the more positive crowd are younger fans because this is probably the best team we have had in our lifetime, we can't compare it to the all conquering teams of the 70's and 80's so we're less inclined to hark back to those teams and compare Lovern with Lawrenson or Gini with Whelan in a negative way.

I was a bit too young to really appreciate Houllier so Rafa was the first man for me. Not afraid to say I shed a tear the day he was sacked as the years I spent watching his teams were the most enjoyable of my admittedly short years following the reds, until now. For the first time since I've been supporting us it really feels like we belong at the top table again. The club is all pulling in the same direction, we have a manager at the helm who the vast majority would follow in to battle again and we have some of the best players to play for us in 30 years. If you can't be excited and look at the bigger picture now I don't think it comes down to what age you are but more how you're wired internally.

I understand people aren't having a go at us younger fans just thought I'd put down a few words from a member of the non-bedwetting younger crowd.

We're on a journey here and if you can't enjoy the ride I'd respectfully ask you to hop out at the next stop. We'll collect you again in May when they're handing out those big shiny things(hopefully  ;) ).
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 09:55:08 pm by Red85 »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5292 on: February 7, 2019, 11:04:19 pm »
I like you too. Please tell me your 6 foot tall, blonde and with a big pair of hooters  ;D

im 6 foot tall

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #5293 on: February 7, 2019, 11:35:21 pm »
Jesus of City saying they thought the title was lost after the Newcastle game,get the feeling they were ready to concentrate on the champions league.

If we can create a six point gap we may break their resolve,hopefully!
Is it just me or are our players acting a lot more professionally than theirs? Like there's a lot of talk about man city's experience in title races compared to us but they seem to me like they're the ones who would crack if they were under a bit of pressure. I don't think I've seen any of our players talk about City and the only one I've seen talk about the possibility of winning the league is Lovren. Its mainly one game at a time for our players and manager. On the other hand, they seem obsessed with what we're doing like Kyle Walker talking shite and Sterling tweeting "now we wait" or something along those lines after their win against arsenal. And this from Jesus shows a pretty weak mentality in my opinion.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #5294 on: February 8, 2019, 12:33:21 am »
The press coverage of our bid for the title is ridiculous. Yes we have drawn 2 games and lost our only game of the season to the reigning champions. We have clearly hit a tough streak but all teams do. Talk about blowing things out of proportion!
The intensity of media coverage I think permits sensationalism at the expense of realism. I really hope we win the league. What a shot in the arm it would be for the club!

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5295 on: February 8, 2019, 01:07:38 am »
Big weekend, we can go back to 3 pts clear and if Chelsea can get a win, we then have a game in hand too.
Unlikely that Chelsea can even get a result let alone a win.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5296 on: February 8, 2019, 04:23:19 am »
Why? Unlikely cannot happen in football? None of the City defeats were likely but they were beaten 4 times. Just as we have to earn our 3 points on Saturday
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5297 on: February 8, 2019, 05:01:31 am »
Every single newspaper has a variation of the same theme:

Michail Antonio strikes for West Ham as Liverpool suffer stage fright in draw -- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/04/west-ham-united-liverpool-premier-league-match-report

'We scared them': Mark Noble baits Liverpool after draw but Jurgen Klopp insists pressure is not getting to his players -- https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/04/scared-mark-noble-baits-liverpool-draw-jurgen-klopp-insists/

Liverpool slips have given Manchester City mental lift, says Bernardo Silva -- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/07/manchester-city-liverpool-bernardo-silva

Something may be shifting mentally at Liverpool. How will they respond? -- https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/feb/07/liverpool-premier-league-title-race-manchester-city-eni-aluko

Pep Guardiola issues challenge to Liverpool after champions go top -- https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/everton-fc-manchester-city-result-final-score-pep-guardiola-epl-today-liverpool-fc-a8767106.html

Now I dislike Fergie as much as the next Liverpool fan but he was a master at getting his team fired up. And I wasn't around for our glory years but I'm sure Shankly and Paisley and King Kenny were the same

I remember reading (and I'm not sure if if was actually true or not) that when Marca had their infamous "This is Anfield: So what?" headline the day of the 2009 Champions League game, the story goes that Torres just pinned the article in the dressing room and that was all the team talk that was needed.

If seeing these kinds of headlines doesn't light a fire under our players' asses, nothing will
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #5298 on: February 8, 2019, 06:11:17 am »
I was thrilled at beginning of December when the title race being essentially a toss up between us and City and I still am despite certain set backs. Goalscoring is a real worry, but there is nothing any of us can do about it. I know the importance of the whole team when it comes to doing well and putting yourself in a strong position, but whether we actually pip City or lose out to me will come down to that forward 3. Not out depth or defence or Klopp's tactics, but those 3 will be the difference.

They create and score enough chances for themselves we win, they don't, well . . .  it's going to be a long summer. I'm full confident in Salah, Firmino and Mane's mentality to meet this challenge. I just hope their bodies can handle the strain.
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #5299 on: February 8, 2019, 06:59:23 am »
That's easier said than done though. For that to happen, the team has to start performing better. It'only natural the fans have been getting nervous with the way we've been playing recently. And by that, I don't mean they have to come flying out of the traps every game. They just need to get back to showing they are in complete control of the situation and that sooner or later they will score the goals that will win us the game. Like they were doing in the first half of the season. They just haven't been doing that recently.

When im in the stands, i always put try to put myself in the shoes of them players. If they aren't playing brilliantly, they would recognize that. But if they aren't playing brilliantly and you can hear a pin drop or some of our own support getting on players backs, it doesn't help at all. It makes it worse. Yrs, the players are professionals, but you still have to process those negative comments and toxic atmosphere. So i try to believe i couldn't do all the running around trying to win the game, but i could stand here and belt out any song that you can easily latch on to once it gets started. At West Ham, they started singing the usual, your support is .... We should have responded with a resounding wall of noise. It couldn't hurt.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5300 on: February 8, 2019, 07:12:38 am »
So given the fact that the best attack wins the league more often than the best defence (certainly in the Premier League era), goalscorers on a team make a big difference to league-winning hopes, and the more of them you have, the better you will usually do.

An elite rate of scoring is to score a goal every 180 minutes or less. So looking at the top 6, we can see which teams have the potential to cover for their team-mates when the chips are down. Looking at each team, here are the numbers (excluding players who only scored one goal):

Liverpool - 4 players at 180 mins per goal or less. Unfortunately, Sturridge is one of the four. Even more unfortunately, Firmino isn't. We need more goal output from him, because outside of Sturridge, our three elite scorers are Salah and Mane (obviously), and Shaqiri. And with Shaqiri not an automatic starter, we're relying on two players right now to get our goals, and one of those has had a drought the past two games. We need goals from Salah against Bournemouth to get him back up to speed

City - 4 players at 180 mins per goal or less - but Jesus has been out, so they've had the same problem we have right now, i.e. relying on 2-3 players. But Jesus is back, so they are up to full strength, and Mahrez needs only a little improvement to bring them up to five. They have to the tools to win this league if we let them

Chelsea - 4 players at 180 mins per goal or less. One of those is Higuain, though, who has a small sample size, so it remains to be seen. But not playing Loftus-Cheek regularly is possibly holding them back, so unless that changes and Higuain maintains his level, they'll probably stick around as a top four challenger and no more

United - 3 players at 180 mins per goal or less. Lukaku, Martial, Rashford. Get them on the field at the same time, and they have the means to put on a good run. Any two of them gives them a chance too. But Sanchez is a wash. Any time they play him they're an attacker down, for all intents and purposes.

Spurs - 2 players at 180 mins per goal or less. Kane and Son. It's not even worth guessing. They are dogging their way through the season, but ultimately - unless Lamela improves a bit and they actually play him - they will probably end up falling a bit short

Arsenal - 1 player at 180 mins per goal or less. Without Aubemayang, they are struggling, although Lacazette is at 181 mins per goal, so if his form can get consistent, then they can push on as a top four challenger. But outside of those two, they are in schtuck.

So for us, a turnaround in Firmino's form will be a huge boost, and maybe using Shaqiri and Sturridge more as impact subs in stalemates is an idea for Klopp to consider, as they add goals on a consistent basis.

Hopefully that upturn can begin against Bournemouth. A hat trick would be nice, both for the campaign, and for his numbers.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5301 on: February 8, 2019, 07:56:21 am »
I think Klopp all season, for the most part, hasn't put a foot wrong but for me, he has made a small mistake and it's the same mistake Rodgers made in 13/14.

What Fergie did brilliantly was to included his fringe players. Yes, you've got your favorites but you have to keep the fringe players involved. This means mentally and physically. Despite being a fringe player you need to be mentally engaged meaning feeling like you're part of the sqaud and also been phyiscally involved, keeping the minutes up so when you come into games you aren't coming in completely cold.

What we've done is rely on first team players for the vast majority of games. This is fine and to be expected but every opportunity we have had to include fringe players should be taken. In games that are already won for instance. What is happening is the likes of the front three are playing virtually every minute which is putting a strain on their bodies making them exceed season highs for past season and the fringe players aren't playing so there is no chance to get a rhythm for high intensity football. For instance, at the start of the season you had Sturridge in relatively good form despite the lack of minutes and those minutes become more and more reduced. Any form and by extension confidence would dissipate over time.
Now you have a player who is less engaged as his confidence is chipped away and has a lack of match fitness when and if he is eventually needed. Hopefully, nothing happens to the front three but if something did then Sturridge and Origi would have precious little sharpness to make a difference in crucial games.

We have also overloaded our young players whose bodies are still developing. For instance, Gomez was used at right back (where he got injured) when it would have been a good chance to rest Gomez and give Clyne minutes at right back which would have made him feel more involved in the squad. So you have a young player being played to much and a squad player who doesn't feel involved so asks to move on.

Whatever happens this seasons, happens. But for next season Klopp has to move on the players he doesn't trust because there is zero point in having them and try to involve his entire squad. I likened it to Rodgers because the same thing happened to Aspas. Hardly played, not involved so when you come to the business end of the season you have a player who has no match fitness and is coming into team completely cold.

This isn't meant for anyone in particular. This has annoyed me all season and I just needed to get it off my chest. It's a flaw in Klopp's management and it needs to change otherwise what's the point of having a big squad?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5302 on: February 8, 2019, 08:49:18 am »
I can’t argue with the above from Spider-Neil, I just don’t want to see Gomez played out of position at right back ever again.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5303 on: February 8, 2019, 09:07:46 am »
We have also overloaded our young players whose bodies are still developing. For instance, Gomez was used at right back (where he got injured) when it would have been a good chance to rest Gomez and give Clyne minutes at right back which would have made him feel more involved in the squad. So you have a young player being played too much and a squad player who doesn't feel involved so asks to move on.

Gomez started 16 out of 21 games where he's been available this season. That doesn't feel like he was overloaded with games.

It's also pretty obvious that Klopp didn't want to play Clyne. TAA, Gomez and Milner were all picked ahead of him. The only game he started in the league was when all 3 where not available. He was surplus to requirements unless there was a significant injury crisis in defence. Unfortunately we've had that for a 2 game period. Now I'd hope that it's over.

What is happening is the likes of the front three are playing virtually every minute which is putting a strain on their bodies making them exceed season highs for past season and the fringe players aren't playing so there is no chance to get a rhythm for high intensity football. For instance, at the start of the season you had Sturridge in relatively good form despite the lack of minutes and those minutes become more and more reduced. Any form and by extension confidence would dissipate over time.

I think this is a bit of an issue. I think it's compounded by Sturridge having a poor season as much as anything. Beyond the 1st month or so of the season he's been relatively poor. I think it's arguable that Origi and Shaqiri have over taken him in the pecking order for those 4 attacking positions we play.

I had a look at how many minutes and how much 'rest' our front 3 have had so far this season. Roberto Firmino has been substituted in 13 of the 27 games he's started this season. Even though he's been taken off late in games, the minutes 'saved' in his legs equates to 2 whole games. He's not started in another 6 games. He's played about 80% of the game time this season.

I think Salah has been on the pitch for ~90% of the minutes we've played this season. He's started 30 out of 33 games, and only been substituted 6 times.

The cumulative time the front 3 haven't been on the pitch this season is around 1400 minutes. That equate to 16 full games.

Sadio Mane is somewhere in between. Played about 85% of the available minutes and started 28 out of 33 games. Been substituted 8 times.

I'm not a sports scientist so can't really comment on if we've over worked these players or not. But it would have nice to have had back-up options with more minutes in their legs. I suspect the drop off in quality and Klopp's inherent want to work with a slightly smaller squad has probably dictated why the front 3 have played 80-90% of the available minutes.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5304 on: February 8, 2019, 09:25:44 am »
Gomez started 16 out of 21 games where he's been available this season. That doesn't feel like he was overloaded with games.

It's also pretty obvious that Klopp didn't want to play Clyne. TAA, Gomez and Milner were all picked ahead of him. The only game he started in the league was when all 3 where not available. He was surplus to requirements unless there was a significant injury crisis in defence. Unfortunately we've had that for a 2 game period. Now I'd hope that it's over.

I think this is a bit of an issue. I think it's compounded by Sturridge having a poor season as much as anything. Beyond the 1st month or so of the season he's been relatively poor. I think it's arguable that Origi and Shaqiri have over taken him in the pecking order for those 4 attacking positions we play.

I had a look at how many minutes and how much 'rest' our front 3 have had so far this season. Roberto Firmino has been substituted in 13 of the 27 games he's started this season. Even though he's been taken off late in games, the minutes 'saved' in his legs equates to 2 whole games. He's not started in another 6 games. He's played about 80% of the game time this season.

I think Salah has been on the pitch for ~90% of the minutes we've played this season. He's started 30 out of 33 games, and only been substituted 6 times.

The cumulative time the front 3 haven't been on the pitch this season is around 1400 minutes. That equate to 16 full games.

Sadio Mane is somewhere in between. Played about 85% of the available minutes and started 28 out of 33 games. Been substituted 8 times.

I'm not a sports scientist so can't really comment on if we've over worked these players or not. But it would have nice to have had back-up options with more minutes in their legs. I suspect the drop off in quality and Klopp's inherent want to work with a slightly smaller squad has probably dictated why the front 3 have played 80-90% of the available minutes.

Enjoyed reading your replies.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5305 on: February 8, 2019, 10:52:55 am »
Enjoyed reading your replies.

Thanks.

I think Clyne not playing and the front 3 not being rotated are 2 related things. Namely that Klopp likes to work with a smaller squad than most fans would have.

It's why I think we'll look for a new LB who can play LCB this summer. Ideally he'd have 7 players to cover the 4 defensive positions rather than the 8 many of us would say.

In midfield I think he'll rotate more. Mainly because his formation require the midfield to run more than most other positions. Full back is similar though at LB Robertson isn't rotated much.

Upfront, CB and GK he won't rotate as much. Or at least he hasn't done over the time he's been in charge. Will be interesting to see if that changes if and when we buy another forward option.

Offline rafathegaffa

• Legacy Fan
  • Bang bang Rosie
    • A few songs...
« Reply #5306 on: February 8, 2019, 12:03:13 pm »
If you have a minute (or five) read this brilliant article by Daniel Storey, don't think I have seen an article get it so right on so many levels before.

https://www.football365.com/news/the-2018-19-premier-league-title-race-expose-the-fraud

Superb read, thanks for sharing that.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5307 on: February 8, 2019, 12:49:57 pm »
So given the fact that the best attack wins the league more often than the best defence (certainly in the Premier League era), goalscorers on a team make a big difference to league-winning hopes, and the more of them you have, the better you will usually do.

An elite rate of scoring is to score a goal every 180 minutes or less. So looking at the top 6, we can see which teams have the potential to cover for their team-mates when the chips are down. Looking at each team, here are the numbers (excluding players who only scored one goal):

/snip

Funnily enough i created this last night and noticed the huge chasm between our front 3 and the closest other player to take shots (and hence score): Shaquiri.

I think however my perception might be clouded by the fact that the front 3 are doing quite well and therefore stretch that space more than happens with the other teams here. For me - and rather arbitrarily - there's 3 groups here.
  • The elite group (usually the focal point of teams) - players above the 26 SoT line
  • The middle group - between 14 & 24
  • The rest.

The fact of the matter is Liverpool have 3 in that top group (and no other team can boast that) but conversely none in the middle group .

« Last Edit: February 8, 2019, 01:36:02 pm by JCB »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5308 on: February 8, 2019, 01:46:45 pm »
Good summary of how far we've come from Tomkins. Also covers how little squad development Guardiola has had to do compared with Klopp and of course how they're benefiting from elite players bought before fees escalated again.

https://tomkinstimes.com/2019/02/tons-of-big-picture-positives-for-liverpool-for-this-season-and-beyond/

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5309 on: February 8, 2019, 01:58:00 pm »

Did you read Chelsea as Cardiff??
Jurgen YNWA

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5310 on: February 8, 2019, 04:47:12 pm »
Some brilliant words from Klopp today. He often says about his English not being great but he can put things across in a way no one else can. No other man I would want leading this charge.
"We have to show on the pitch we are ready to fight, and the people on the stand have to show they are ready to fight as well," - anyone who is going to the game, listen to that and understand it. Don't just read it and move on. Fight, not moan or groan or transmit nervousness, fight.
This title carry on, I can accept City have a better squad and maybe they are a more complete side, but our fans can give us an edge that they will never have

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5311 on: February 8, 2019, 04:53:20 pm »
If you can’t take that rallying cry from the gaffer today and use it to stop whinging, whether it’s here, on twitter, at the game, whatever, then you honestly don’t deserve a successful end to the season.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5312 on: February 8, 2019, 05:02:17 pm »
Well said Slaphead & Eel Lobo.

We're all in this together - manager, players and supporters!

Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5313 on: February 8, 2019, 05:11:49 pm »
Well said Slaphead & Eel Lobo.

We're all in this together - manager, players and supporters!

Cheers mate, and abso-fuckin-lutely and all.  Not that I know many, but any City fan I do know have a cockiness about them, even an expectancy, and maybe fair enough, but Id love to rub it right up them and show its about more than having the best squad. There's a difference in the squads yes, theres nothing between Pep and Klopp but there's a gap as wide as Jordans........no stop, theres a massive gap between the fans.
Klopp knows that and he wants to use it.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5314 on: February 8, 2019, 05:17:09 pm »
If you can’t take that rallying cry from the gaffer today and use it to stop whinging, whether it’s here, on twitter, at the game, whatever, then you honestly don’t deserve a successful end to the season.

They should fuck off and support a club more suited to them - such as Everton
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #5315 on: February 8, 2019, 05:25:38 pm »
Some brilliant words from Klopp today. He often says about his English not being great but he can put things across in a way no one else can. No other man I would want leading this charge.
"We have to show on the pitch we are ready to fight, and the people on the stand have to show they are ready to fight as well," - anyone who is going to the game, listen to that and understand it. Don't just read it and move on. Fight, not moan or groan or transmit nervousness, fight.
This title carry on, I can accept City have a better squad and maybe they are a more complete side, but our fans can give us an edge that they will never have
This!

Thanks for sharing.

If you was in front of me now I'd slap yer head in agreement

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5316 on: February 8, 2019, 05:28:31 pm »
 :lmao :lmao at the title change

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5317 on: February 8, 2019, 05:30:13 pm »

Agree completely with the bolded bit. He really is inspiring.

I find it really weird when he answering a German journalist he slips into fluent German almost as if it's his first language. :D

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5318 on: February 8, 2019, 06:35:02 pm »

Basically, a lot of supporters have become big babies.

Nail on the head

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5319 on: February 8, 2019, 08:28:19 pm »

Great stuff.

Now that we are getting closer to the end, match going fans need to start approaching our games like nights in Europe and really get behind the team.   The dark days are over, it’s time to come out fighting!!