Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1430410 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #5160 on: February 7, 2019, 07:30:39 am »
What party? We blew a comfortable advantage and there is a big chance we will bottle the whole thing now. Its normal for the people to be anxious given the fact in the recent years we blew all our chances for a silverware..

It never fails to amuse me that those who accuse the players of a lack of bottle show the same thing themselves. We have not bottled anything, to my knowledge City are not receiving the title tomorrow, the season is still in our hands. So what sbout waiting until the end of the season before coming out with such a stupid statement.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5161 on: February 7, 2019, 07:33:50 am »
There are still 13 games to play for us. On Saturday we can again be in the lead with three points more than City, and after that we have all the time in the world to again go 7 points clear or more. City have lost 4 already and will lose again.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #5162 on: February 7, 2019, 07:41:28 am »
I don't think I've ever seen you write a bad post.  :)

I never watch the twats either. I had Coronation Street on then The Undateables.  8)
The most shocking part of that is you actually admitted to watching Coronation Street.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #5163 on: February 7, 2019, 07:46:58 am »
It never fails to amuse me that those who accuse the players of a lack of bottle show the same thing themselves. We have not bottled anything, to my knowledge City are not receiving the title tomorrow, the season is still in our hands. So what sbout waiting until the end of the season before coming out with such a stupid statement.

im not a professional player, i can shit myself as much as i want  :D

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5164 on: February 7, 2019, 07:52:14 am »
Some of you on here need to cut the whining out, we’ve got the best record in the league currently with half the players city have. We’ll bounce back and watch what will happen then, long way still to go.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5165 on: February 7, 2019, 07:52:17 am »
im not a professional player, i can shit myself as much as i want  :D

There is nothing wrong with being nervous but accusing this set of players as bottling the title when they have as many points they currently have is a nonesense. The real part of the season hasn't started yet,  so take a deep breath and lets see what happens on Saturday.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #5166 on: February 7, 2019, 07:54:48 am »
Mane is doing fine.

Now he is. Before the last three games, he'd scored 2 goals in 11 games.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5167 on: February 7, 2019, 07:57:29 am »
City getting 100 points last season and the form they are showing this season is skewing the perception how well we've done. It's Feb and we have 62 points yet find ourselves in second place and 4 points off 3rd. I'm sorry but that's insane. 9/10 62 points at this stage of the season would see you double figures clear.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5168 on: February 7, 2019, 08:00:44 am »
Looking at the fixtures left to play, City have the more difficult fixtures on paper. Need to hope they go deep in to the FA cup and CL and start drawing some proper teams. If they are playing Barca away through the week and get beat, lets see how they fancy a trip to Palace at the weekend, for example. If that happens, I think 33 points might be enough. That is, winning every game except United away, Spurs at home and Chelsea at home (drawing all 3). That would leave us on 95. Could probably even afford a loss in there instead of a draw. You'd fancy us to beat at least one of those 3 as well, if not 2. Of course, we are likely to drop points against the 'lesser' teams as well. Id say 92 should be the minimum. If we get that tally or more and don't win it, fair do's to whoever finishes above us.

Easier said than done, mind.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 08:10:37 am by deano2727 »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #5169 on: February 7, 2019, 08:15:02 am »
wow, some of the negativity on here, you'd think RAWK would be the bastion of Red fandom and die hardness, instead there is plenty of player bashind and defeatism even given the fact this has been one of the best seasons LFC have put in in the premier league era.

Mental.

I tell you what, those of you who are already scapegoating players and being defeatist, if you were a player, with that level of mentality you'd be the type that you yourselves hate, downing tools at the first time of a hard moment and when struggling for a result... instead this is the time to be defiant and believe in yourselves/the team and fuck what everyone else thinks or says, have some fucking belief because without that, well, that's half the battle.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #5170 on: February 7, 2019, 08:21:21 am »
Now he is. Before the last three games, he'd scored 2 goals in 11 games.

11 in 23 is fine by me for our most defensive forward.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5171 on: February 7, 2019, 08:23:16 am »
This was a good opinion piece

https://www.football365.com/news/the-2018-19-premier-league-title-race-expose-the-fraud

When Liverpool’s official account tweeted the starting XI selected by Jurgen Klopp on Monday night, it provoked a wave of abusive replies from those purporting to be supporters of the club. The principal subject of their disdain was Adam Lallana, an England international picked to play in central midfield due to injuries suffered by Georginio Wijnaldum and Jordan Henderson.

‘Now for the real team,’ was the typical reply. One included a gif of a cartoon suicide, another of someone pulling a noose over their neck. At least some were happy, albeit hardly in a supportive fashion: they expressed delight that Wijnaldum and Henderson had suffered knocks because they disliked seeing them in their team.

ADVERTISING

Of course, Lallana played well. He drove forward, protected the ball and looked to provide the link between the midfield and Liverpool’s front three, because that is what he always does. But by full-time, with Liverpool drawing 1-1, Lallana was no longer the story. Suddenly Liverpool supporters on social media expressed concern that their team was ‘bottling the title’. Search on Twitter for ‘Klopp sacked’ if you think that’s the worst of the extreme reaction. Yes, Klopp should be sacked if Liverpool don’t win the league.

For what it’s worth, Liverpool are on course to achieve the third highest points total in Premier League history and the highest points total in the club’s entire history. If social media is no barometer of majority opinion nor the natural habitat of reasoned debate, the entitlement among some is still striking. Where did we all go wrong?

Liverpool are only this week’s example of the wailing hysteria that now envelopes football coverage. Last week, you could listen to pundits saying that Maurizio Sarri faced the immediate sack at Chelsea. When Manchester City lost to Newcastle, the Bald Fraud Army mobilised their troops. In the space of six weeks, Mauricio Pochettino has been damned for Tottenham losing to Wolves, praised for their three-game winning response, castigated again for cup defeats and then lauded for late victories. Tottenham’s participation in the title race follows the same path as a hokey-cokey dance.

ADVERTISING

Things happen in football matches. Teams drop points. Football players are people and by definition are therefore unreliable. We have not yet created a club filled with footballing automata. We liberally bestow greatness and ignominy, and very few merit either description. What’s worse, we redistribute those terms more often than the wind changes.

It has created a bizarro world in which reputations are decided solely through a prism of extremism. If Liverpool finish second, Tottenham third and Manchester United fourth, hardly a highly unlikely scenario, there will be four teams in the top six (Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea) whose current managers will be accused of overseeing disappointment this season. And disappointment means fraudulence. It’s exhausting.

The financial inequality and competitive imbalance of the Premier League is, in part, responsible for increased supporter impatience. The gap between the top six and the rest – in economic terms at least – has never been wider. As such, wins against that ‘rest’ have become expectation rather than ambition, and any dropped points a relative crisis.

ADVERTISING

Take Tottenham as an example of the decreased margin for error. Pochettino’s team are on course to reach 87 points, which would most likely see Tottenham finish third and their manager’s progress seriously questioned. That points total would have won the Premier League in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. The goalposts have moved.

A victory by anything other than a convincing scoreline thus fails to deposit anything into a manager’s bank of goodwill. Defeats and draws make significant withdrawals. Only eventual triumph counts as success, and any stumble is apparent proof of an inability to stomach the fight.

If the media plays little part on the production line of the extremism of supporter opinion, it is a vital cog in its distribution. In the Wild West of digital journalism, it has never been harder to sell pieces and never more necessary to do so. Psychologists have repeatedly proven negativity bias, in which sudden crisis is more interesting to readers than sustainable improvement. Nobody wants to read that everything is fine and nothing sells like bad news. Call someone a fraud, and people click to enjoy them being called a fraud and get angry about them being called a fraud. Easy.

That tendency towards crisis reporting has been exacerbated by the glamorisation of extreme opinion, a phenomenon that applies to far more important subjects than football. ‘Twitter reacts’ has become an undeserving but common headline, media outlets plumping for sensational negative sells and then raising their hands to say ‘Not me, guv’. ‘Liverpool players accused of bottling Premier League title race by angry fans after dropping points against West Ham’ was one Tuesday offering, to stick with the original Liverpool example.

Social media has enabled antisocial people to become social. Someone who would normally have had an outrageous opinion dismissed can now find like-minded (and often anonymous) individuals who share it. When those opinions are given undue prominence (as in this BBC example), they inevitably propagate.

The Premier League and media have provided the petri dish, but the nature of football support itself seems to have changed. Tribalism continues to grow to the extent that many take any praise for an opposition club as blasphemy of their own, and the anger of these people is extraordinary. Journalists and writers joke about it (and I’m taking out my small violin here), but appalling personal abuse is received for accused bias against every top six team. Crucially, this extremism becomes self-fulfilling. Self-centredness breeds isolation, isolation breeds more anger and anger breeds further self-centredness.

I distinctly remember Sheffield Wednesday supporters applauding Nottingham Forest’s goals in a 7-1 win at Hillsborough in 1995, and sections of Forest’s support doing the same during a 5-1 defeat to Blackburn Rovers the following season. It is hard to imagine that happening now as football has increasingly become A Very Serious Business. Fans have become defined not by their love of the game or support of their team, but their angry defence of their own narrow views on both.

In November, Kick It Out reported a rise in discriminatory abuse of 11% from 2016/17 to 2017/18, with reports of racism up 22%. Last week, sports minister Mims Davies announced an urgent meeting with football leaders to tackle the issue of growing discrimination. As the anger noticeably rises, it is hard not to make a correlation between a growth in football tribalism and growth in unacceptable abuse.

Even away from the worst elements of supporters, a general mania exists that is enough to give you a migraine. Melodrama and hysteria now come as standard as clubs and managers lurch between crisis and glory like a runaway train and supporters delight in both according to their loyalties. No longer is it enough to wait until the end of the season for medals and trinkets to be handed out. Why bother, when you can scream and scream and scream until you’re sick after every match. And you can.

Over the next 15 weeks, one of the best title races in years will play out. We have the champions Manchester City, whose financial advantage puts pressure on them defending their crown. We have Liverpool under the magnanimous Klopp, who have lost once all season and will return to the top of the table once more if  they beat Bournemouth at home, despite the bed-wetting from some supporters. We have Tottenham, punching above their financial weight and five points off the top, an undoubted feel-good story.

Twenty years ago, supporters of those three clubs would have hoped and prayed and prayed and hoped. If they had fallen short, the journey would have been appreciated and admired. The rest of us would have sat back and enjoyed the show. Everything felt positive, still a soap opera but one that meant nothing as well as everything.

Is the same true in 2019, or has the ‘nothing’ been lost? Were Everton ‘bottlers’ in 1986 for allowing a rampant Liverpool to creep past them? Was Alex Ferguson a ‘fraud’ because Manchester United failed to beat West Ham on the final day in 1995? Were Arsenal chokers because they lost to Leeds in May 1999? Or did we commiserate the losers but remember the winners?

This could be the first Premier League title race that will be defined by those who miss out rather than those who win, and people are itching to pour scorn on those who miss out. Be victorious, and you shall rise as a knight. Fall short, and you are destined for a lifetime of fraud-itude.

—————-
Illustrates the point about Spurs as well. In the race one week, out the next. Plenty of the posters on this forum have been doing the same thing which shows how they are media influenced.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 08:28:25 am by a treeless whopper »

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5172 on: February 7, 2019, 08:31:24 am »
City clearly think they've won the title.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #5173 on: February 7, 2019, 08:35:11 am »
Looking at the fixtures left to play, City have the more difficult fixtures on paper. Need to hope they go deep in to the FA cup and CL and start drawing some proper teams. If they are playing Barca away through the week and get beat, lets see how they fancy a trip to Palace at the weekend, for example. If that happens, I think 33 points might be enough. That is, winning every game except United away, Spurs at home and Chelsea at home (drawing all 3). That would leave us on 95. Could probably even afford a loss in there instead of a draw. You'd fancy us to beat at least one of those 3 as well, if not 2. Of course, we are likely to drop points against the 'lesser' teams as well. Id say 92 should be the minimum. If we get that tally or more and don't win it, fair do's to whoever finishes above us.

Easier said than done, mind.

We will have the same issues if we get past Bayern though. With our lack of depth you’d expect us to drop more points per game than them if we go deep into the European Cup. We really needed to secure (the unexpected opportunity for) a buffer during this period when the sole focus has been on the league but due to lack of form and injuries we haven’t.

It’s going to be tough but we’ve got a great opportunity to do it.
Internet terrorist

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5174 on: February 7, 2019, 08:44:06 am »
That opinion piece is excellent. But it relates to society in general not just football.

Social media anonymity, promoting the cowardice of insulting others without facing the consequences, pollutes everything from politics to attacks on the disabled.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #5175 on: February 7, 2019, 08:52:38 am »
Just listening/reading to the media this morning...

It's all a bit silly

"MAN CITY TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!1"

Errmm not truly. We are in the middle of a gameweek. If City's Everton game was this Sat at 12.30 I doubt the headlines would be the same, even though they'd play before us.

The fact is.....we have never been more than 5 pts ahead of them. And this Sat we'll probably go back to 3 pts ahead.
So over the last few months, we've basically moved ahead and maintained our position. Hardly alarm bells.

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #5176 on: February 7, 2019, 08:54:57 am »
What party? We blew a comfortable advantage and there is a big chance we will bottle the whole thing now. Its normal for the people to be anxious given the fact in the recent years we blew all our chances for a silverware..

:shite: Grow a pair and enjoy the ride.

Online Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5177 on: February 7, 2019, 08:55:07 am »
Guardiola is pointing out that we have to go to Old Trafford?

Are City not going there or is he so certain that they already have those points sewn up?

Arrogance or mind-games?

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #5178 on: February 7, 2019, 08:56:01 am »
Our attackers have all lost their form at the same time. We only need one of them to get back on track with their goals-to-game ratio, and we'll be flying again.

Mane has done alright..

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5179 on: February 7, 2019, 08:58:18 am »

Are City not going there or is he so certain that they already have those points sewn up?

Arrogance or mind-games?

They do, but we go there first and the Manu away game is the game in hand game.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5180 on: February 7, 2019, 09:00:58 am »
A good balanced opinion piece.
Can't stand mainstream media creating a story from "Twitter reaction" without often any effort whatsoever to validate the tweets used. As the article says, if it's extreme, it's in.
Still, if as a journo you've got to write x number of pieces in a day in time for the surge times for the site, this is the lowest of low hanging fruit to go for. The hysteria surrounding modern football is ridiculous to the point where it is putting many people off the whole thing.

Would be good if "the media" having successfully made Salah if not quite public enemy No 1, would turn their attention on why Fernandinho gets away with what seems to be a couple of clear yellows each game. Don't know why not, it's content after all and there's an established template on how to do it. Just look at Skrtel and Salah.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #5181 on: February 7, 2019, 09:01:05 am »

Arrogance or mind-games?
Mind games?

Why would Klopp be affected by a comment from a fellow manager about something he already knows?

People put too much emphasis on mind games this mind games that. I doubt people at top end of sport are affected by a few words here and there from others. They've got bigger things to think about.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5182 on: February 7, 2019, 09:04:07 am »
A good balanced opinion piece.
Can't stand mainstream media creating a story from "Twitter reaction" without often any effort whatsoever to validate the tweets used. As the article says, if it's extreme, it's in.
Still, if as a journo you've got to write x number of pieces in a day in time for the surge times for the site, this is the lowest of low hanging fruit to go for. The hysteria surrounding modern football is ridiculous to the point where it is putting many people off the whole thing.

Would be good if "the media" having successfully made Salah if not quite public enemy No 1, would turn their attention on why Fernandinho gets away with what seems to be a couple of clear yellows each game. Don't know why not, it's content after all and there's an established template on how to do it. Just look at Skrtel and Salah.

Fernandinho keeps his tackles just below outright assault knowing that refs normally bottle sending someone off if they can help it.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5183 on: February 7, 2019, 09:04:44 am »
It's great that we have 62 points at the moment. Joint top with a game in hand.

Did I expect to keep up performances all season? No. We have depth but we don't have quality in depth, which sadly isn't enough if you want to compete with City who have spent £280m on attacking players and £280m on defenders in the past few seasons. That's to compliment the likes of Ederson, Fernandino, Gondogan, David Silva and one of the best strikers in prem history, Aguero.

The first half of the season we had a stable first 11. Now our first and second choice CB's are injured, our only RB is injured and we have no players of the same quality as our attackers when there is a drop off in their performances.

Beginning of the season it was a stable midfield of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner. Not a star studded midfield but they got the job done.
Henderson then was injured for 4 games.

Obviously we bought Keita and Fabinho for £90m in the summer so we do have depth in the midfield but Klopp has said they need to learn the setup. Keita was injured in October too for 4 games.
Fabinho has shown his class since around that time which is a positive sign going forward in the remaining games.

We were in great spirits at Christmas after winning 8 games in December.

Jan 3rd loss to City
Jan 7th loss to Wolves *Lovren injury
Jan 12th 1-0 win Brighton *Trent Injury
Jan 19th 4-3 win Palace
Jan 30th 1-1 Leicester
Feb 4th 1-1 West Ham

Klopps dilemma, how do we not leak goals with half a first choice defence whilst at the same time beating the low block/ well organised opposition?
Feels like last January when Swansea managed to keep us out and even score against us.

Frustrating.
In the midst of a defence injury crisis, the lads at the other end of the pitch need to make every pass and shot count...

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #5184 on: February 7, 2019, 09:05:23 am »
Some things I have control over.. What clothes I am going to wear, the food I stuff down my face, where I go for a drink. Then there are things that I have no control over.. Brexit, getting old and the results our wonderful but crazy club get when they walk out on that pitch. What I can control though is how much, how long and how loud I can sing on the terraces.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5185 on: February 7, 2019, 09:05:35 am »
Are posters here really 'media influenced'?  If you're on RAWK it' s a fairly common pattern to get the liverpool news from here and have minimal exposure to other sources.  I can't even remember the last pre or post match show I watched,  probably been years. Social platforms probably play a bigger part these days for those who are active.

Ultimately fear is normal on here,  as is calm down we'll be alright prophets piping up in reaction to that when every game starts looking like the champs league final. It doesn't matter what the state of mind of the fans on here is, worry away if that's your honest reaction,   it should'nt even be an issue.  The f365 article does make a lot of good points about enjoying the spectacle,  being civil to your fellow fan,  and seeing the bigger picture when assessing managers.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 09:16:45 am by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5186 on: February 7, 2019, 09:05:38 am »

Arrogance or mind-games?

Be weird if United end up deciding the title in favour of either their one true rival or their noisy neighbour.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5187 on: February 7, 2019, 09:09:25 am »
Fernandinho keeps his tackles just below outright assault knowing that refs normally bottle sending someone off if they can help it.
I know what you mean, but just look at some of our yellows. For example I think Wijnaldum got one recently, it may have been v City for a slight pull back to stop a break. Instant yellow. He does several of these as well as some of his rougher challenges.

Offline scouse92

• Main Stander
« Reply #5188 on: February 7, 2019, 09:10:43 am »
Majority of you are mad! Why do you watch the reds? Surely you only do it for enjoyment? it sounds like most of you aren't enjoying this season- yet when we are finishing 4-7th in the past 5 years we all crave a situation where with 10 games to go we are in with a shout. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Yes we had the opportunity to go 7 clear against Leicester BUT only because City lost to Newcastle. January has seen us drop 7 points. December saw City drop 9 points.

The difference at the end of the season may well go down to head to head. a draw at Anfield and a Win for City at Home, however after that game at the Etihad we were 4 points clear and now will go 3 points ahead if we win our game in hand, that's a -1 point difference over 5 games.

13 games to go- lets enjoy it- because why the hell not?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5189 on: February 7, 2019, 09:14:26 am »
Majority of you are mad! Why do you watch the reds? Surely you only do it for enjoyment? it sounds like most of you aren't enjoying this season- yet when we are finishing 4-7th in the past 5 years we all crave a situation where with 10 games to go we are in with a shout. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Yes we had the opportunity to go 7 clear against Leicester BUT only because City lost to Newcastle. January has seen us drop 7 points. December saw City drop 9 points.

The difference at the end of the season may well go down to head to head. a draw at Anfield and a Win for City at Home, however after that game at the Etihad we were 4 points clear and now will go 3 points ahead if we win our game in hand, that's a -1 point difference over 5 games.

13 games to go- lets enjoy it- because why the hell not?
:wellin
We'd have killed for a season like this. I'm sure at the start of the season loads would have been made up with us just being in with a shout at this point in the season.
People forget what this team's done and what they are up against. The season so far stacks up against just about anything this club has done in any other season ever.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5190 on: February 7, 2019, 09:18:12 am »
...Illustrates the point about Spurs as well. In the race one week, out the next. Plenty of the posters on this forum have been doing the same thing which shows how they are media influenced.

It's possible to count on one finger the number of people who keep mentioning what's being said in the media. People, it seems to me, are just expressing what they feel. This context is unprecedented because the side is statistically outperforming Paisley's sides in the league this season, yet still there are two sides close to it. It's only natural that people are discombobulated.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5191 on: February 7, 2019, 09:20:06 am »
Nobody should be telling anyone how to feel at the minute. It's new ground. People could do with being more understanding. If someone is a bit hysterical, think of it like being shut in the lift with someone who's claustraphobic. Are you going to shout at them and tell them to pull themselves together if they're hyperventilating? If you are, chances are you're a twat.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #5192 on: February 7, 2019, 09:21:15 am »
Those people worried about how the lead is down to (potentially) 3 points - you are right. We should not have drawn to Leicester and West Ham back to back.

Those people saying to stop worrying and enjoy the ride - you are right. There's a long way to go and still (potentially) 3 points in front.

Those people trying to point out or change people's perceptions of our situation - you are wrong. Ain't nobody gonna change the way they are or what influences their opinions. waste of breath if you ask me..

Unless you're just doing it for fun?  ;D

I lean on the optimistic side of things usually so while we have looked a bit jaded recently i don't think we can't come out of it strong and get some wins on the board to put us back in a good position. City I don't think will win every game and I am hoping with CL around the corner their focus will divert more than ours and we just need to stay ahead of them until then, even if it is just by a little. This was always going to be the most dangerous time of the year I felt for us....with the injuries and now with the added loss of form for certain players

Nobody should be telling anyone how to feel at the minute. It's new ground. People could do with being more understanding.
EDIT - great minds n all that
haha
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 09:24:23 am by just redk84 will do »
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5193 on: February 7, 2019, 09:23:10 am »
Nobody should be telling anyone how to feel at the minute. It's new ground. People could do with being more understanding. If someone is a bit hysterical, think of it like being shut in the lift with someone who's claustraphobic. Are you going to shout at them and tell them to pull themselves together if they're hyperventilating? If you are, chances are you're a twat.

:thumbup

discombobulated haha... Woh.  Nice,  new word for the day.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5194 on: February 7, 2019, 09:27:33 am »
What's most frustrating for me is that we can't beat the low block sides.
The alternative to a poor performing Firmino or Salah is Sturidge or Shaqiri and the drop off in quality is a massive nose dive.

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5195 on: February 7, 2019, 09:27:34 am »

Isn't that exactly what Manchester City fans were saying when we overhauled them in December?

Yes, everyone's a bit more nervous now, because we've had a taste of what could be, but let's just get behind the team and hope that this is our mid-season slump (and that it's over with), because even though we are currently second, everything is still in our own hands.
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5196 on: February 7, 2019, 09:47:41 am »
The alternative to a poor performing Firmino or Salah is Sturidge or Shaqiri and the drop off in quality is a massive nose dive.

I’m sorry but this is complete rubbish.

We’ve beaten every team we’ve played outside of the top 6 this season Barr the last 2 matches, and even then it took set pieces to draw the games.

Granted we haven’t looked great going forward recently, but to ignore 5 months of results in favour of 2 draws (both of which we scored in) is frankly ridiculous.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #5197 on: February 7, 2019, 09:54:47 am »
What are you talking about?
We had WON ALL our games against teams outside the top 6 BEFORE these last 2 fixtures; and none of City, Chelsea or Arsenal played in a low block when we faced them.

How did you come to that conclusion? You must have gotten that from a rival supporter and decided not to check whether it holds up.
That's the only reason, cause you had watched all our games up until Leicester. I sound like a prick saying this and sorry for that, but see how "influences" and emotion colour our observation?
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 10:15:41 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline rafathegaffa

• Legacy Fan
  • Bang bang Rosie
    • A few songs...
« Reply #5198 on: February 7, 2019, 09:58:57 am »
It's possible to count on one finger the number of people who keep mentioning what's being said in the media. People, it seems to me, are just expressing what they feel. This context is unprecedented because the side is statistically outperforming Paisley's sides in the league this season, yet still there are two sides close to it. It's only natural that people are discombobulated.
:wellin
Yep, uncharted waters. I thoroughly enjoyed the title triumphs in the 80's but I was a kid and this feels a whole lot different for a million reasons.
My defence mechanism is to be fatalistic as soon a s something goes wrong, others get angry, some cover their ears and eyes, some are capable of being patient and playing the long game.
Every point dropped/gained is amplified due to the deluge of reporting and discussion that follows football these days, ourselves included.
It's quite the rollercoaster.... and a lot of people aren't too fond of rollercoasters.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5199 on: February 7, 2019, 10:01:24 am »

I agree with a lot of this. Particularly if by discombobulated, you mean some people are spouting shite. A prime example below:

Let's assume low block sides are anyone we play outside the Top 6. I think that's a relatively fair assumption. Some may have given it a go a bit more than others but on the other hand the United came to Anfield and played with a low block.

Our record against teams outside the Top 6 this season is Played 18 Won 16 Drawn 2 Lost 0 Scored 43 Conceded 8. We've gained 50 out of a possible 54 points.

For someone to come on here and say we can't play against low block sides is frankly bollocks. Whether they are feeling upset, angry or discombobulated  by our current situation it's hard not to pull people up if they are talking wham.

I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.