Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1430448 times)

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #5080 on: February 6, 2019, 11:33:31 pm »
It's all simple psychology. If we had been chasing City all along and only now were gifted an opportunity to go 3 clear of them or even go level, we'd all be absolutely thrilled.

MOMENTUM
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5081 on: February 6, 2019, 11:34:35 pm »
Chelsea just lost 0-4 to who? Do we really think they’ll pose even a minor threat to City? We’ve got to stop hoping other teams do us favours and just focus on our games. Chelsea have no chance and I don’t really care who City play next. We just need to win the next 4 games on the trot and let City worry about their own fixtures.

Crystal Palace lost to Brighton and West Ham prior to beating Man City
Leicester had drew with Fulham and lost to Spurs and Crystal Palace before beating Man City
Newcastle had beaten only Huddersfield and Cardiff in their previous 10 games before beating Man City
Chelsea.....oh, turns out Chelsea have beaten Man City previously this season too.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5082 on: February 6, 2019, 11:34:49 pm »
It's definitely not 'much better' than Rafa's side. A fully fit defence marginally better. Rafa's midfield was much better than this one. You'd probably take this forward line.
This. I'd give the TAA-Gomez-VVD-Robbo defence a bit more credit, but I agree with you. 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5083 on: February 6, 2019, 11:36:10 pm »
It's definitely not 'much better' than Rafa's side. A fully fit defence marginally better. Rafa's midfield was much better than this one. You'd probably take this forward line.

Ok maybe not much better but it is better. That teams defence and attack wasnt as good as ours now.The midfield was great but we have better depth now.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5084 on: February 6, 2019, 11:37:51 pm »
This. I'd give the TAA-Gomez-VVD-Robbo defence a bit more credit, but I agree with you. 

Wouldnt have a single defender in that Rafa side over our current defence.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5085 on: February 6, 2019, 11:39:30 pm »
Just a point on how the media are liars and vindictive. Danny Mills said today we were 9 points clear.

Thats the third time in 2 days i have heard people say we were 9 points clear. They are deliberately trying to create a narrative to push their agenda.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5086 on: February 6, 2019, 11:40:02 pm »
Just a point on how the media are liars and vindictive. Danny Mills said today we were 9 points clear.

Thats the third time in 2 days i have heard people say we were 9 points clear. They are deliberately trying to create a narrative to push their agenda.

Yeah it's utter nonsense we were never 9 points clear.

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #5087 on: February 6, 2019, 11:40:19 pm »

Sami gets in no problem.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5088 on: February 6, 2019, 11:40:41 pm »

Arbeloa - Carra - Agger - Aurelio

This season is a better defence, but not by much I don't think. That defence conceded 27 league goals that season. The current one is on 15. We were up against much better opposition then than most of the dross served up in the league these days.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #5089 on: February 6, 2019, 11:40:44 pm »
People are panicking because we were 7 points clear, and now we're second (I know we've played one less). That is why. It is understandable I think, given our recent history of fucking up every single major competition possible since 2007.

Us and City will both drop points between now and the final game, and it will be a roller coaster. Not all is said and done yet by no means, lets just pray they finally deliver.

Anything less would be extremely hard to take, given the position we were in.

People were panicking when we were seven points clear. Because they’re fannies. Of course they can’t handle this. I feel sorry for them, because I can’t imagine how they handle actually important things in life.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5090 on: February 6, 2019, 11:42:04 pm »
Sami gets in no problem.
Sami for me too. Even though he was a bit slow, his positional sense and reading of the game were absolutely top notch.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5091 on: February 6, 2019, 11:42:36 pm »

In terms of defending I would have the previous manager though. his game of defending wasnt about individuals. and i do love the current manager
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5092 on: February 6, 2019, 11:42:37 pm »

We went 10 clear when we beat Arsenal but that was only every temporary. The next day it was back to 7. In reality City have clawed back 4 points on us since then yet we’re in meltdown.

They went from 2 clear to 7 behind but no one went on about them choking or cracking up at that point.

In reality it’s just fluctuations in form for both of us.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5093 on: February 6, 2019, 11:42:39 pm »

This season is a better defence, but not by much I don't think. That defence conceded 27 league goals that season. The current one is on 15. We were up against much better opposition then than most of the dross served up in the league these days.

Individually you wouldnt swap the current ones for any of them.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5094 on: February 6, 2019, 11:43:34 pm »
Yeah it's utter nonsense we were never 9 points clear.

We were after the Arsenal game. 9 Points clear of Spurs who were in 2nd, but City played the next day. This is what the knobheads are keen to brush under the carpet.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5095 on: February 6, 2019, 11:43:50 pm »

Is that necessarily true though? Back then there wasn't even a 'big 6'. City and Tottenham were nowhere to be had.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5096 on: February 6, 2019, 11:43:54 pm »

I think you gave Aurelio a bit much playing time there. :)
But I don't think that Aurelio would make it in our current team. Horses for courses, I know, different style and all that, but still.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5097 on: February 6, 2019, 11:44:10 pm »
In terms of defending I would have the previous manager though. his game of defending wasnt about individuals. and i do love the current manager

No way are you watching a Rafa team over a Klopp team.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5098 on: February 6, 2019, 11:45:26 pm »
Individually you wouldnt swap the current ones for any of them.

Could have a debate about Arbeloa and Agger getting into the current side maybe.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5099 on: February 6, 2019, 11:45:49 pm »
Sami for me too. Even though he was a bit slow, his positional sense and reading of the game were absolutely top notch.

Sami would struggle in this side and although he was amazing, Gomez has much more natural ability.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5100 on: February 6, 2019, 11:45:56 pm »

They wouldn't be able to live with the pace of the game today though. There is also the ages to consider our current back four could be our back line for seasons to come and who knows how much more they'll improve by.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5101 on: February 6, 2019, 11:46:58 pm »
Could have a debate about Arbeloa and Agger getting into the current side maybe.

No way. Trent has more ability than Arbeloa and by a big distance. Agger over Gomez? No way.

Arbeloa was fucking terrible going forward.

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5102 on: February 6, 2019, 11:47:29 pm »
Sami would struggle in this side and although he was amazing, Gomez has much more natural ability.

Natural ability no doubt but he is still learning the game where as Sami was already polished.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5103 on: February 6, 2019, 11:47:37 pm »
I think you gave Aurelio a bit much playing time there. :)
But I don't think that Aurelio would make it in our current team. Horses for courses, I know, different style and all that, but still.

Aurelio had 24 league appearances in 08/09. Dossena only had 16. Even if it was the other way round, I'm still putting Aurelio ahead of Dossena  :D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5104 on: February 6, 2019, 11:47:42 pm »
We suffer from the same lack of depth Rafa's side did. If a forward was injured, we had to turn to Ngog, now it's Origi. Moreno, Sturridge, Shaq, Origi aren't a million miles better than Dossena, Babel, Riera and Ngog.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5105 on: February 6, 2019, 11:48:01 pm »
Natural ability no doubt but he is still learning the game where as Sami was already polished.
He was also 4th choice in 08/09.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5106 on: February 6, 2019, 11:48:29 pm »
Don't know about defense, but if we'd had Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano in midfield we'd have the title wrapped up by now. World class midfield back then but maybe not as good in attack as now. It's always something though isn't it.

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5107 on: February 6, 2019, 11:49:32 pm »
He was also 4th choice in 08/09.

End of his career here unfortunately.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5108 on: February 6, 2019, 11:50:23 pm »
We suffer from the same lack of depth Rafa's side did. If a forward was injured, we had to turn to Ngog, now it's Origi. Moreno, Sturridge, Shaq, Origi aren't a million miles better than Dossena, Babel, Riera and Ngog.

With everyone fit, our backup players are Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Milner, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sturridge, Shaqiri, Lallana and Origi.

Thats more depth than Rafa’s side.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5109 on: February 6, 2019, 11:50:28 pm »
Oh well.
Lead is gone now. 7 points became 5 points and became 3 points and now no daylight between the top two.
Like it or Not, the players are feeling the pressure at 15 games to the finishing line. That's just too early.

The lack of experience is bearing down on the players.
In earlier games they were playing freely and winning comfortably. It has changed. In spite of city faltering they were unable to put a further distance between.

Now that city is ahead again, the pressure will be intense. Even with 13 games to go.
We will see who falters first.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5110 on: February 6, 2019, 11:50:34 pm »

Virgil make lovren looks good.  i think sami would be fine
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5111 on: February 6, 2019, 11:51:32 pm »
Don't know about defense, but if we'd had Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano in midfield we'd have the title wrapped up by now. World class midfield back then but maybe not as good in attack as now. It's always something though isn't it.

The midfield was the only position where we were stronger then. But thats it.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5112 on: February 6, 2019, 11:51:40 pm »
Is that necessarily true though? Back then there wasn't even a 'big 6'. City and Tottenham were nowhere to be had.

There might not have been a big six, but it wasn't the top teams then an absolute chasm to the rest.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5113 on: February 6, 2019, 11:52:50 pm »
Oh well.
Lead is gone now. 7 points became 5 points and became 3 points and now no daylight between the top two.
Like it or Not, the players are feeling the pressure at 15 games to the finishing line. That's just too early.

In earlier games they were playing freely and winning comfortably. It has changed. In spite of city faltering they were unable to put a further distance between.

Now that city is ahead again, the pressure will be intense. Even with 13 games to go.

The only month we have played free is December.

Fans cant remember what happened last season but it seems you cannot remember what has happened this season.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5114 on: February 6, 2019, 11:53:19 pm »

I could swear I read someone (maybe Merson) say we were 10 points ahead recently.  :o

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5115 on: February 6, 2019, 11:53:51 pm »
Virgil make lovren looks good.  i think sami would be fine

Sami couldnt even get Skrtel and Agger out the side. How is he replacing Gomez?

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5116 on: February 6, 2019, 11:54:07 pm »
No way are you watching a Rafa team over a Klopp team.

football isnt about natural ability, its a teams game. the week liverpool thrashed real madrid and united in one week with a decent team was the ultimate proof

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5117 on: February 6, 2019, 11:54:55 pm »
football isnt about natural ability, its a teams game. the week liverpool thrashed real madrid and united in one week with a decent team was the ultimate proof

Yes they were a fantastic side.

Not as good as this one though.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5118 on: February 6, 2019, 11:54:59 pm »
There might not have been a big six, but it wasn't the top teams then an absolute chasm to the rest.

I'm not sure about that. Before the TV money you wouldn't have teams like Leicester, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace etc buying players for £20m+ on a regular basis. I think the sides from 10th down were absolute dross even back then and it's how United always won the league. By making an art of beating the dross.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5119 on: February 6, 2019, 11:55:18 pm »
Oh well.

With City playing more games than us. We'll see what the standings are like at the end of the month. No point in being upset about a not being in the lead when they have played more games.