Author Topic: ASTON VILLA - Mingy and Moaning Moobs  (Read 324183 times)

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Re: ASTON VILLA - Mingy and Moaning Moobs
« Reply #2680 on: August 7, 2022, 03:11:09 pm »
I've paid no attention to their off-season. Have they brought in lots of new players who need to gel together? If so it might take a while - assuming he is afforded the time.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Americano12345

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2681 on: August 7, 2022, 03:22:03 pm »
judging based off their forum; their fans are upset that he took the captaincy from Mings and quite alarmingly a lot of them want him sacked already

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2682 on: August 7, 2022, 04:15:00 pm »
Thought at the time it was a strange decision to leave Rangers mid season with a lot to play for and a chance to enhance his reputation. I really don't see how keeping Villa mid table at best improves his chances of getting a bigger job.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #2683 on: August 7, 2022, 04:25:20 pm »
Thought at the time it was a strange decision to leave Rangers mid season with a lot to play for and a chance to enhance his reputation. I really don't see how keeping Villa mid table at best improves his chances of getting a bigger job.
Just came in to say the very same thing. Stevie has put himself in some massive pressure and should have waited at least 2 seasons in the Scottish Sunday Park League.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2684 on: August 7, 2022, 05:36:56 pm »

He needs to emulate what Moyes has done at West Ham or Rodgers at Leicester before it started to go to shit. A best of the rest side, maybe get into Europe and win the Conference League or something. If he can't get past mid table they'll just get rid within a season or two.

He relied a lot on Mick Beale as well who has now left, although Critchley is a good coach.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2685 on: August 7, 2022, 09:54:17 pm »
Just came in to say the very same thing. Stevie has put himself in some massive pressure and should have waited at least 2 seasons in the Scottish Sunday Park League.
He couldn't really go further there and Celtic were only getting better
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #2686 on: August 8, 2022, 12:38:48 am »
Just beat Everton Saturday.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #2687 on: August 8, 2022, 12:43:39 am »
He’s fucked up taking on this shower.  Sacked before Christmas.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #2688 on: August 8, 2022, 01:15:58 am »
I dont see how taking over midtable clubs helps in building reputation/ experience gor a manager who wants to manage at the top. I am talking about clubs who have more than enough to easily stay up but too much of a gap from the trophy challengers because you end up with unrealistic fan expectations which then lead toanaging conservatively to get results. You can want to implement your style etc, but it goes out of the window pretty quick when you end up with a balancing act of not allowing bad results while you try to do that.
It makes more sense to start at a lower division or a lower profile league for a few years away from the attention first. Another thing I dont like is young managers moving on too quickly after having some modicum of success. Stay around and build consistency where you are first. Do atleast a couple rebuilds and maintain an expected level at a place where you have earned the trust to do it. Too many young managers treat any big job offer as the last they'd receive. I dont like it.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2689 on: August 8, 2022, 09:21:07 am »
First game of the season and someone was wonky? Not unfamiliar, some decent players bought so once all settle should be fine

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2690 on: August 8, 2022, 09:25:45 am »
Gerrard moved to Villa because he thinks he can get them up the table and competing for Europe spots - That much should be obvious from a world class player that is clearly full of self belief.

He seems to have got backing with some decent transfers and has a strong squad that looks like it should be challenging for top half at least for now. Doing well with Villa is much better for him than getting stuck long term at Rangers. On him to prove himself now, especially with the change of coaching that he has had close to him since he took up management.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2691 on: August 8, 2022, 12:58:33 pm »
I watched a big chunk of the match and they really need more options up front.  Ings is a shadow of the player he once was and Watkins is streaky.  Beyond that, there's no real threat, other than from their midfielders/Coutinho.  Bailey looked decent, but didn't really do anything of note.

Think they should be looking to bring in another attacker before the window closes.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2692 on: August 8, 2022, 01:02:55 pm »
Surprised at how little they've done in the market, not that he's had no backing but thought they'd do more. Hasn't helped himself making Mcginn captain though and Buendia consistently looks their best attacker but is often benched.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2693 on: August 8, 2022, 02:15:32 pm »
He’s fucked up taking on this shower.  Sacked before Christmas.

yeah afraid so.

Easy to say this from a position of never having to choose but going abroad somewhere post rangers would have looked a better bet than this to me. What was the absolute best case with Villa? 6th maybe? I can't say I'd have wanted him taking over at liverpool if that was his 'pedigree'. Afraid he's currently looking likely to join the pack of british managers that are kind of alright doing the circuit of average clubs.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2694 on: August 8, 2022, 02:55:07 pm »
Maybe Rangers was Gerrards level as a manager.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2695 on: August 8, 2022, 04:16:42 pm »
Should've stayed here and learnt his trade under Klopp

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2696 on: August 8, 2022, 04:27:05 pm »
We're quick to write Gerrard off.  I hope we give whoever Klopp's successor is a bit more time to prove themselves!

For me the challenge Gerrard has with Villa is two-fold; firstly to get them playing a possession based game where they try to dominate teams and secondly to get them in and around the "big six".

Dean Smith had them playing counter-attacking football like most of the non big six clubs.  They would get some occasional big scalps but also drop loads of points in turgid encounters where both sides wanted to counter-attack and neither wanted to blink first and actually attack.  Leicester's freak season aside there's very much a ceiling to how high you can finish playing that way.

Villa had double Bournemouth's possession, shots and passes completed so it looks like Gerrard is having some impact on how they play.  Just as Smith's counter-attacking Villa got some big scalps, Gerrard's possession based Villa are going to be susceptible to being scalped by a counter-attacking side.  Ancelotti, with all his experience and trophy laden career, tried and failed to get Everton to transition to possession based football.

For me what Gerrard's trying gives him the best chance of getting a bigger job.  If he just becomes another English manager playing percentages then no bigger club is going to touch him.  Similarly, flat-tracking the SPL with Rangers isn't going to have the big clubs lining up.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #2697 on: August 8, 2022, 04:36:56 pm »
I  hope Villa go down.

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2698 on: August 8, 2022, 04:38:44 pm »
Yeah only Villa I know is quite derogatory towards him and wants him gone

Many said this was a poor move. I thought the timing was poor but in terms of the club it could of worked out alright for him and I didn’t blame him for taking the job. But I feel it may end in tears

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2699 on: August 8, 2022, 04:40:10 pm »
I  hope Villa go down.

But win handsomely this coming weekend and when they play City, United, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Americano12345

• Main Stander
« Reply #2700 on: August 9, 2022, 02:34:53 am »
I dont see how taking over midtable clubs helps in building reputation/ experience gor a manager who wants to manage at the top. I am talking about clubs who have more than enough to easily stay up but too much of a gap from the trophy challengers because you end up with unrealistic fan expectations which then lead toanaging conservatively to get results. You can want to implement your style etc, but it goes out of the window pretty quick when you end up with a balancing act of not allowing bad results while you try to do that.
It makes more sense to start at a lower division or a lower profile league for a few years away from the attention first. Another thing I dont like is young managers moving on too quickly after having some modicum of success. Stay around and build consistency where you are first. Do atleast a couple rebuilds and maintain an expected level at a place where you have earned the trust to do it. Too many young managers treat any big job offer as the last they'd receive. I dont like it.
i think the problem is that a lot of fans want the so called "PL experience" and it's also probably why we don't ever really see English managers at top top level jobs. They lose the midtable jobs because those "midtable" clubs want to break into the top 6 and get sacked when things go wrong. 

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2701 on: August 9, 2022, 02:56:58 pm »

For me the challenge Gerrard has with Villa is two-fold; firstly to get them playing a possession based game where they try to dominate teams and secondly to get them in and around the "big six".

Not forgetting, it must be really hard to motivate yourself to want Villa to do well. Even if you're their manager.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2702 on: August 9, 2022, 03:17:51 pm »
Not forgetting, it must be really hard to motivate yourself to want Villa to do well. Even if you're their manager.
;D

Gerrard's too professional but it would be great if he was secretly thinking: "That Bournemouth defeat was pay-back for Villa beating us in 2014.  It will take a lot of defeats to settle the score for Timmy Sherwood knocking us out the FA Cup in my final season.  Bloody Villa meffs!"

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2703 on: August 9, 2022, 03:19:53 pm »
;D

When he leaves he'll have a party in a train
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2704 on: August 12, 2022, 09:14:09 pm »
A relegation battle looms for them methinks.

A lot of affection obviously for their manager but I'm not yet convinced he's PL quality or ever will be. If your assistant manager is Gary McAllister you're probably good for a top 6 finish in 2003 era. It all seems a bit Martin O'Neill to me.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #2705 on: August 13, 2022, 02:54:34 pm »
Just beat Everton Saturday.

Ta, Stevie.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2706 on: August 13, 2022, 02:57:17 pm »
There's little identity to them at the minute and I think they've made a couple of wrong signings, but in spells today they done well and despite a rocky ending deserved the win. Great goal from Ings.

One of those signings they've got wrong is Digne. I'm not sure I've ever seen him have a good game for either club. Andy Townsend mentioned while he might not be great defensively he's good going forward but if you look at his stats he's bang average in that department too.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2707 on: August 13, 2022, 02:58:29 pm »
They need a couple of good wide forwards.  Stevie is stuck playing that diamond with two up front without those options.  Will be surprised if they don't bring someone in before the window closes.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2708 on: August 13, 2022, 03:00:07 pm »
Fair dos

Saw about six minutes of the game as Everton are shit for c---s but they got a result

Stevie can do better I reckon. Hope he gets support at this mild dull club

Carve his niche out. He has class, we saw that today, just on a low rate level

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2709 on: August 13, 2022, 03:00:33 pm »
Blown their budget on Coutinho when Buendia is better suited and blown millions on the dog shit Digne and stuck with Mings in their side.

Not looking good but at least they beat the shite
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #2710 on: August 14, 2022, 03:49:37 pm »
Think they’ll finish top 10 personally, Gerrard is an underrated manager

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2711 on: August 14, 2022, 11:23:16 pm »
They need a couple of good wide forwards.  Stevie is stuck playing that diamond with two up front without those options.  Will be surprised if they don't bring someone in before the window closes.

What happened to that Leon Bailey? Always injured?

Offline Fazak_Red

• Seems to think everything is shite, not including his own one-liners though, of course not......
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #2712 on: August 15, 2022, 07:56:05 am »

Always injured and he’s shite anyway.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #2713 on: August 15, 2022, 12:09:47 pm »
Diego Carlos done his Achilles, likely out for the season.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2714 on: August 15, 2022, 12:10:35 pm »
Diego Carlos Done his Achilles, likely out for the season.

That's literally the worst possible scenario for Villa.  Mings will be starting for the next 10 years.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2715 on: August 15, 2022, 01:22:13 pm »
Cam Akers (NFL running back) did his achilles and got back in five months so it all depends on the recovery really. It doesn't need to be the full season necessarily.
Linudden.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2716 on: August 15, 2022, 01:54:04 pm »
Didn't really like the Carlos signing for Villa anyway, but with him being 30 soon and coming in for decent money/wages it's certainly a blow.

Still, can't see them finishing any lower than 12th so not exactly in deep trouble, they'll probably go back into the market anyway. Good job we got Gomez tied up as they'd have definitely been interested in him.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2717 on: August 15, 2022, 04:21:02 pm »

He came on for Ings late on Saturday, supposedly had a good pre-season though.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2718 on: August 15, 2022, 05:56:55 pm »
He came on for Ings late on Saturday, supposedly had a good pre-season though.
Man u had a good preseason too.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2719 on: August 15, 2022, 06:00:16 pm »
Cam Akers (NFL running back) did his achilles and got back in five months so it all depends on the recovery really. It doesn't need to be the full season necessarily.
It’s a terrible injury.  Look at what it did for John Barnes.

It’s going to be a problem for a centre back, as I’d imagine you use your Achilles quite a bit for explosive jumping…

Hate to see serious injuries to players to be honest
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W