Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3524559 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #57600 on: January 29, 2024, 09:38:23 pm »
No Hard Feelings with Jennifer Lawrence. Any good?
Let me answer this. It isn't. What was Lawrence thinking.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57601 on: January 30, 2024, 11:03:35 am »
So tried watching Killers of the Flower Moon on Saturday. Did my head in. Found it really boring and turned it of about an hour in. Wanted to get stuck into a movie to take my mind of the whole Klopp thing, but there was just nothing happening. Maybe it was just me being impatient and it got better.
It doesn't. Over-blown, over-long. There was the makings of a good film in there but not enough material to drag it out the running time
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #57602 on: January 30, 2024, 03:38:31 pm »
It doesn't. Over-blown, over-long. There was the makings of a good film in there but not enough material to drag it out the running time
Interesting historical story line but terribly overlong.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #57603 on: January 30, 2024, 03:57:38 pm »
Genuinely don't know what people expected in a Scorsese directed film covering one of the most horrific events in American history. Was it a tad long? Maybe, but I wasn't bored at any point due to the fantastic three lead performances and at this point in his career I'm never going to complain about too much Scorsese.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57604 on: January 30, 2024, 04:14:13 pm »
Anatomy of a Fall is great. Hüller was fantastic and in another year that flashback scene would had her as favourite for Best Actress.

No it was shite.

I watched it in the pictures. It seemed to be promising something great then delivered next to nothing.

Could have been half the length.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57605 on: January 30, 2024, 04:24:24 pm »
No it was shite.

I watched it in the pictures. It seemed to be promising something great then delivered next to nothing.

Could have been half the length.
There we have it - RAWKites should be flocking to see this now ;D it's really good

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57606 on: January 30, 2024, 04:36:52 pm »
There we have it - RAWKites should be flocking to see this now ;D it's really good

Already put it to the top of my watchlist ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57607 on: January 30, 2024, 04:41:28 pm »

Yep, me too

I just want Andy to now claim Xabi Alonso is overrated and we shouldn't even be considering him.

:)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57608 on: January 30, 2024, 04:44:58 pm »
I thought Anatomy Of A Fall was really good one of the best films of last year, I also really enjoyed Triet's Age Of Panic.  As for Flowers Of The Killer Moon, I enjoyed it, it's very well performed and Scorsese's direction is great, but it is a bit long, could have been cut by 30 minutes, I thought similar about The Irishman.  Robertson's score was sublime though.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57609 on: January 30, 2024, 06:57:08 pm »
I thought Anatomy Of A Fall was really good one of the best films of last year, I also really enjoyed Triet's Age Of Panic.  As for Flowers Of The Killer Moon, I enjoyed it, it's very well performed and Scorsese's direction is great, but it is a bit long, could have been cut by 30 minutes, I thought similar about The Irishman.  Robertson's score was sublime though.
Someone I was chatting to the other night called it this as well. Such a weird tic.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57610 on: January 30, 2024, 10:10:23 pm »
Just seen The Zone Of Interest, quite possibly one of the most oppressive films I've ever seen. Even though everything you know what's happening is completely off screen. Just amazing cinema about the absolute banality of evil.

Spoiler
The cut at the end to the staff at Auscwitz readying and cleaning the museum for another day was stunning, I visited myself in 2021 so had stood in those rooms. They even pointed out the Hoss house on the tour, and they rebuilt the structure he was hung from
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57611 on: January 30, 2024, 11:31:45 pm »
Champions with Woody Harrelson

Great film and great to see actors with intellectual disabilities casted like this.

In some ways fairly predictable, but I felt it was a warm and likeable film with great actors and a decent story.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #57612 on: January 30, 2024, 11:38:41 pm »
Champions with Woody Harrelson

Great film and great to see actors with intellectual disabilities casted like this.

In some ways fairly predictable, but I felt it was a warm and likeable film with great actors and a decent story.

Have to say I enjoyed this too. Kaitln Olson was particularly good in it. Fed up of miserable reviewers putting stuff down like this. Made me smile. What more do you want?

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57613 on: January 31, 2024, 08:28:14 am »
I thought Ferrari was meandering even by Mann's standards. So many scenes that didn't feel like it added anything and having the actors attempt Italian accents just didn't work at all. But then he drops one of the most harrowing things I think I've ever seen in a film and it's all I could think of after watching.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #57614 on: January 31, 2024, 02:49:37 pm »

:D

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57615 on: February 1, 2024, 02:17:48 pm »
Saw the 1946 Pressburger/Powell Classic "A Matter of Life and Death" at the cinema on Sunday.  Utterly blown away by it, wonderful charming film.

Going to try and catch 3-4 films between now and Sunday - it will depend on whether I see kinky boots (filmed stage musical as a "CULTURE" thing) - if I do, then it will be Argylle/Holdovers Fri/Sat; and then try and catch The Colour Purple Sunday morning.  Or whether I skip the kinky boots and just do the other 3 - unfortunately busy Saturday, and Sunday the boy and the heron clashes with the Arsenal match.

So should I try and see kinky boots?  Or skip it, and see Colour Purple tonight (and free up Sunday morning for a lay in).

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57616 on: February 1, 2024, 02:29:27 pm »
Absolutely love A Matter Of Life And Death, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is great as well.

Probably try and see The Color Purple and Argylle over the weekend as American Fiction isn't showing at my Cineworld.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #57617 on: February 1, 2024, 04:04:39 pm »
Absolutely love A Matter Of Life And Death, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is great as well.

Probably try and see The Color Purple and Argylle over the weekend as American Fiction isn't showing at my Cineworld.
Bradshaw gave Argylle a 1 star review in today's Guardian.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57618 on: February 1, 2024, 04:57:22 pm »

I really enjoyed the remake:

« Last Edit: February 1, 2024, 09:42:48 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57619 on: February 1, 2024, 08:30:24 pm »
Genuinely don't know what people expected in a Scorsese directed film covering one of the most horrific events in American history. Was it a tad long? Maybe, but I wasn't bored at any point due to the fantastic three lead performances and at this point in his career I'm never going to complain about too much Scorsese.

Agreed.

The mark of a good film is that it never seems to drag, and this, for me, never seemed to drag at all.

I thoroughly enjoyed sitting there (in my recliner seat) watching it.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #57620 on: February 1, 2024, 11:49:18 pm »
Saw the 1946 Pressburger/Powell Classic "A Matter of Life and Death" at the cinema on Sunday.  Utterly blown away by it, wonderful charming film.

One of the all-time great films

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57621 on: February 2, 2024, 09:51:44 am »
Bradshaw gave Argylle a 1 star review in today's Guardian.

I ended up missing the start of Kinky Boots due to missing a bus, so went to see Argylle instead.  I have *no idea* how you would rate something that fun as only a 1 star.  Not saying it is worth more than 3, but it is *way* better than Kingsman 2, for instance (I  know Bradshaw rated the first 2/5 - so if you liked that film, I'd say you'd like this one - it's certainly less misogynist).  Maybe 20 mins too long, which is why I'd probably rate it a 7/10. Very silly plots and twists, but executed well - dumb spy fun it certainly is.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57622 on: February 2, 2024, 12:27:54 pm »
I thought Ferrari was meandering even by Mann's standards. So many scenes that didn't feel like it added anything and having the actors attempt Italian accents just didn't work at all. But then he drops one of the most harrowing things I think I've ever seen in a film and it's all I could think of after watching.

Yeah. Finished this the other day. Was abit... uhm... meh? By all means, its well done and with decent performances and all that, but I felt the story - and substories, was lacking. Felt it lacked focus.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57623 on: February 2, 2024, 01:46:52 pm »

Genuinely no idea how you can watch that and write it off as "shite". Fantastic courtroom drama that had me gripped throughout. That flashback scene was unbelievable and for me probably the most accurate depiction of a marriage argument I've ever seen in a film.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #57624 on: February 2, 2024, 07:43:44 pm »
I really enjoyed the remake:

There’s a new Wallace and bro it film out at Christmas
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57625 on: February 2, 2024, 07:52:20 pm »
Carl Weathers dead at 76.   :'(
« Last Edit: February 2, 2024, 07:54:21 pm by Livbes »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57626 on: February 2, 2024, 08:28:25 pm »
Carl Weathers dead at 76.   :'(

Not Apollo. Fucking shite news.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57627 on: February 3, 2024, 05:21:15 am »
Killers of the Flower Moon. What a movie. Absolutely brilliant story-telling and acting about a piece of history I knew nothing about.

Mad to think that was only 100 years ago.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57628 on: February 3, 2024, 10:40:37 am »
There’s a new Wallace and bro it film out at Christmas

Their stuff is great!  Proper laugh out loud!  Last thing I read, was that Ardman were running out of modelling clay, as their supplier went under.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57629 on: February 3, 2024, 04:19:20 pm »
I ended up missing the start of Kinky Boots due to missing a bus, so went to see Argylle instead.  I have *no idea* how you would rate something that fun as only a 1 star.  Not saying it is worth more than 3, but it is *way* better than Kingsman 2, for instance (I  know Bradshaw rated the first 2/5 - so if you liked that film, I'd say you'd like this one - it's certainly less misogynist).  Maybe 20 mins too long, which is why I'd probably rate it a 7/10. Very silly plots and twists, but executed well - dumb spy fun it certainly is.

Yeah a solid 3/5 for me, maybe too long. Action sequences in the 3rd act a bit of a let down.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57630 on: February 4, 2024, 11:01:04 pm »
Badland Hunters

An entertaining action romp - South Korean - worth a watch, but gets a bit silly at the e.. well, the beginning probably :D
« Last Edit: February 4, 2024, 11:21:21 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57631 on: February 5, 2024, 08:14:30 am »
Watched Triangle Of Sadness last night.

Absolutely brilliant movie and such a piss take of the super rich.

Woody Harrelson only has a small part and steals every scene.

The Russian Oligarch hiring a Helicopter to fly out miles out to sea to drop 3 jars of Nutella for his Wife and also his "Side Ho" as my Other Half called her was a blatant piss take.

I need to watch it again to see if i missed anything in it.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57632 on: February 5, 2024, 08:59:43 am »
Watched Triangle Of Sadness last night.

Absolutely brilliant movie and such a piss take of the super rich.

Woody Harrelson only has a small part and steals every scene.

The Russian Oligarch hiring a Helicopter to fly out miles out to sea to drop 3 jars of Nutella for his Wife and also his "Side Ho" as my Other Half called her was a blatant piss take.

I need to watch it again to see if i missed anything in it.

I love the old couple Clementine and Winston who just happen to be grenade manufacturers. Wonder if there characters were named after Clementine & Winston Churchill.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57633 on: February 5, 2024, 09:47:08 am »
I love the old couple Clementine and Winston who just happen to be grenade manufacturers. Wonder if there characters were named after Clementine & Winston Churchill.
I didn't know they made their money from that.

I'm definitely watching it again this week.

"Is this one of ours"  :lmao
« Last Edit: February 5, 2024, 09:51:31 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57634 on: February 5, 2024, 10:28:39 am »
Partly because I was in a slightly masochistic mood and partly because I wanted to recalibrate my idea of what a good film looked like, last night I sought out to watch as bad a film as I could find. Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (2007) fit the bill quite nicely. Possibly the worst lit major film I've seen (it's impossible to make out what's happening for the majority of the runtime), it's also weirdly mean-spirited, introducing characters and then killing off them immediately in unusually brutal ways.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57635 on: February 5, 2024, 10:44:42 am »
Going to see ‘Dune Part 1’ in IMAX on Friday. Again. For those who might have missed it first time around it is showing worldwide in select cinemas this weekend only - so look around. It’s well worth a trip to the best screen you have near you.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57636 on: February 5, 2024, 10:46:06 pm »
They cloned Tyrone

Absolutely loved it and star turns from all the cast. Great story and great motherfucking acting.

9/10

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57637 on: February 7, 2024, 03:53:00 am »

The Beekeeper.

-1/10

One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57638 on: February 7, 2024, 09:57:18 am »
The Beekeeper.

-1/10

One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Better than Lost in Translation though.

Offline Vegeta

• Is definitely a vegetable. All posts stink like sprouts.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #57639 on: February 7, 2024, 11:19:49 am »
"I found 'Oppenhiermier' to be incredibly boring. How did this movie receive such high ratings? It felt like I was watching a History Channel documentary does anything interesting actually happen apart from boring people talking and talking fuck me!
« Last Edit: February 7, 2024, 11:22:21 am by Vegeta »
150 IQ never wrong.