Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3501533 times)

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #57680 on: February 11, 2024, 03:38:30 pm »
That's fair  ;D. The action movies are usually around 6/10 in terms of entertainment value. They're not groundbreaking, but they provide a predictable level of enjoyment, and the reviews reflect that.

I'm just baffled as to why these movies always receive such high praise; they often get rated 10/10 and hailed as the greatest thing ever by critics, all because they supposedly have some hidden meaning or artistic merit that we're all supposed to appreciate. But let's be brutally honest here: they're often quite dull, just like Oppenheimer.

People like different things don't they? I never really got into the Marvel movies, I though the acting was wooden by over paid actors, the story telling was poor and they covered over that with loads of expensive CGI. I never felt there was any real substance to them. But millions of others really liked them so  ;D different strokes and all that jazz.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #57681 on: February 11, 2024, 03:51:20 pm »
Banshees scenery was depressing and dull? Jesus I thought it was stunning and would quite happily give up my London life to walk my donkey down to that pub every day to sit in peace and have my Guinness. That part of Ireland couldn’t be more beautiful.

Sounds like you might like Fast and Furious 1-12
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 03:57:25 pm by meady1981 »

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57682 on: February 11, 2024, 04:19:37 pm »
Watched “Sideways” this afternoon. I recall when it was first released I was put off by the critical acclaim and the reviews which spoke of a wine expert and a failed actor have a road trip to various vineyards. Always assumed it would be too pretentious for my liking.

I’m glad I held off watching it, only because I’m around the age of the main character now so a lot of his feelings (if not experiences) I could relate a lot to. His expertise in wine wasn’t really off putting or pretentious in the way I thought it would be. If anything I got thinking how most adults are “experts” in something or other, some choose football, others wine. In both cases, while it can give our lives more meaning, from the outside it just looks like an absolute waste of our days.

Brilliant film all in all, funny and surprising.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57683 on: February 11, 2024, 04:24:04 pm »
Honestly, I must be cursed. I picked another supposed 10/10 from critics and 100% on Rotten Tomatoes—'The Banshee of Inisherin.' Two hours of the most depressing, dull scenery you will ever see. It may as well be called an episode of Emmerdale. The acting is pretty overrated as well. After reading such glowing reviews, the plot is dull. I'm not exactly sure how this reviewed so well. Additionally, the pacing is incredibly slow, the character development is lacking, and the dialogue feels forced and unnatural. Overall, it's a major letdown.

I'm losing faith in movie reviews; so many movies with perfect scores end up being mediocre. I've decided to ignore all critics' reviews before making judgments now. I have avoided movies in the past when they have scored poorly which may been a mistake in hindsight.
How old are you?

Feels quite late but potentially useful to be coming to terms with the subjectivity of 'reviews' (although you don't seem to recognise that different reviews review things differently based on their own tastes/perspectives). If you're keen to restrict your viewing to specific types of films, i'd recommend finding friends/colleagues/reviewers/people on the internet with similar tastes to you and taking their recommendtations, rather than relying of aggregated reviews from anyone/everyone

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57684 on: February 11, 2024, 04:30:48 pm »
Honestly, I must be cursed. I picked another supposed 10/10 from critics and 100% on Rotten Tomatoes—'The Banshee of Inisherin.' Two hours of the most depressing, dull scenery you will ever see. It may as well be called an episode of Emmerdale. The acting is pretty overrated as well. After reading such glowing reviews, the plot is dull. I'm not exactly sure how this reviewed so well. Additionally, the pacing is incredibly slow, the character development is lacking, and the dialogue feels forced and unnatural. Overall, it's a major letdown.

I'm losing faith in movie reviews; so many movies with perfect scores end up being mediocre. I've decided to ignore all critics' reviews before making judgments now. I have avoided movies in the past when they have scored poorly which may been a mistake in hindsight.

Each to their own, but i find the scenery in that movie stunning. Among my favourite in the world. I had some issues with the film, though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 04:32:26 pm by thejbs »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57685 on: February 11, 2024, 04:31:43 pm »
Vegeta.

Can I suggest you watch Battleship Potemkin.

Cracking movie you will love it.

PS: Could Vegeta possibly be Andy@Allertons ghost writer?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57686 on: February 11, 2024, 04:35:29 pm »
Vegeta.

;D

Maybe double bill it with the critically acclaimed Gone with the Wind, which I believe definitely has a plot

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57687 on: February 11, 2024, 04:36:19 pm »
Each to their own, but i find the scenery in that movie stunning. Among my favourite in the world. I had some issues with the film, though.
Yeah the location is anything but dull. Stupid suggestion.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57688 on: February 11, 2024, 04:40:30 pm »
Yeah the location is anything but dull. Stupid suggestion.

Yeah, but I l found all of those comments strange, the dialogue is terrific and the characters so well drawn. Such a great film all round.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57689 on: February 11, 2024, 04:51:05 pm »
Yeah, but I l found all of those comments strange, the dialogue is terrific and the characters so well drawn. Such a great film all round.
The person might be making an attempt at being a WUM. I agree that the film is quality. Really enjoyable performances and that's from someone who doesn't really like Colin Farrell movies prior to this.

The location cannot be faulted. It just seems a beautiful part of the world.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #57690 on: February 11, 2024, 06:53:05 pm »
Vegeta.

Query him about Lost in Translation...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57691 on: February 11, 2024, 07:08:01 pm »
Nah, it's not Andy's ghostwriter.  I disagree with Andy about everything to do with film (and nearly everything in general) but he always fights his corner and can explain his reasoning, there's always an argument there, rather than 'it's boring'.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57692 on: February 11, 2024, 10:51:28 pm »
Going to see ‘Dune Part 1’ in IMAX on Friday. Again. For those who might have missed it first time around it is showing worldwide in select cinemas this weekend only - so look around. It’s well worth a trip to the best screen you have near you.

Just been to see it again on the Super Screen. Immense. The sound/score especially. I didn’t wait around for the exclusive look at part 2. Be here in full soon enough.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57693 on: February 12, 2024, 06:44:08 am »
Just been to see it again on the Super Screen. Immense. The sound/score especially. I didn’t wait around for the exclusive look at part 2. Be here in full soon enough.

I ended up not going. Was so shattered from work and lack of sleep. 😞

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57694 on: February 12, 2024, 11:00:18 am »
Some of my recent cinema trips:

- American Fiction: God, this is good. The trailer makes it look like a knockabout comedy but there's so much more going on. At heart, it's a portrait of a dysfunctional family with some biting satire and observations on race. Also blisteringly funny. Jeffrey Wright is as good as ever, but Sterling K Brown steals the show, he's great.

- The Zone Of Interest: This is an incredible technical achievement, and as a study of the banality of evil, it can't be beaten. The Hoss family go about their day to day lives - go on day trips, read stories to their children, tend to their garden. All normal enough, expect that the head of the family works at the Auschwitz concentration camp, and they live right next door. So, thanks to the incredible, immersive sound design, there's a constant background of anguished screams, gunshots, the ominous sound of a train chugging past, and all the while, the smoke rises from the chimney next door. You never see what's happening (thank god) but your imagination fills in the gaps. A film where the horrific becomes mundane, where evil is everyday. I saw this last night and can't stop thinking about it, but I never, ever need to watch it again.

- The End We Start From: Jodie Comer is as brilliant as ever in a disaster movie that's all too relatable. It's not a film without flaws (there are several plot holes, and the post-disaster scenes just make it look as if the country had suffered a slight storm) but Comer makes this a must-see.

Thank you Jurgen

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57695 on: February 12, 2024, 11:29:15 am »
Watched The End We Start From last night and not sure what to make of it. Jodie was again fantastic but I can't figure out if I enjoyed it or not. May need a second watch.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57696 on: February 12, 2024, 02:58:10 pm »

Went yesterday afternoon as well, great to see it on the big screen again. Excited for Part 2 now, booking opened for that today.

Re the sneak peak

Spoiler
started off as like a trailer, some interviews with Zendaya and Chalamet. Then Denis Villneuve talking about part 2, the exclusive clip was Paul riding a sand worm for the first time which was epic.
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #57697 on: February 12, 2024, 05:57:45 pm »
Jesus I just watched Aftersun. What a film. What an ending. Really moved by that.

That fella who didn't like Oppenheimer and Banshees would love this one.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57698 on: February 12, 2024, 08:03:01 pm »
Jesus I just watched Aftersun. What a film. What an ending. Really moved by that.

That fella who didn't like Oppenheimer and Banshees would love this one.

It sticks with you that one. I only watched it once about a year ago and I reckon I could still give a scene by scene description of it.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57699 on: February 12, 2024, 08:03:17 pm »
Went yesterday afternoon as well, great to see it on the big screen again. Excited for Part 2 now, booking opened for that today.

Re the sneak peak

Spoiler
started off as like a trailer, some interviews with Zendaya and Chalamet. Then Denis Villneuve talking about part 2, the exclusive clip was Paul riding a sand worm for the first time which was epic.
[close]

Cheers for the info on the sneak peak. Very much looking forward to part 2

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57700 on: February 13, 2024, 12:44:54 am »
I'm more predisposed to like The Iron Claw than most, considering it's an A24 film set in the 80's about wrestling (and not a part I know enough about to get annoyed at dramatic interpretation). But I liked it a lot, just a great portrayal of familial love and tragedy. The acting is more or less excellent throughout, it looks really good, sounds great and the wrestling is largely smooth. Well worth watching regardless of whether you're into the subject matter.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57701 on: February 13, 2024, 12:57:00 am »
I'm more predisposed to like The Iron Claw than most, considering it's an A24 film set in the 80's about wrestling (and not a part I know enough about to get annoyed at dramatic interpretation). But I liked it a lot, just a great portrayal of familial love and tragedy. The acting is more or less excellent throughout, it looks really good, sounds great and the wrestling is largely smooth. Well worth watching regardless of whether you're into the subject matter.
That's good to hear. Was always going to watch at some point, but don't know anything about them or wrestling (outside of a tiny window growing up), but the rest of it appeals so will hopefully go out to see it now

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57702 on: February 13, 2024, 07:51:09 am »

Watched an interview with Chavo Guerrero Jr who trained the actors for the in ring film scenes. He said that they would repeat each match 15 times and then take the best looking moves for the film. I think that really helped with the realism as everything felt right, and there were no out of the ordinary moves nor did they appear to use many if any stunt doubles.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #57703 on: February 13, 2024, 10:41:18 am »
It sticks with you that one. I only watched it once about a year ago and I reckon I could still give a scene by scene description of it.

You're not wrong. It struck a chord for me personally with a lot of things and I'm actually pretty emotionally wrecked still from it. One of the best entities of storytelling/life I've ever seen and heard.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #57704 on: February 13, 2024, 11:49:30 am »
I put Aftersun on with the wife a few weeks ago on a Sunday night in the mistaken belief that it was a coming-of-age story. Christ.

Spoiler
I can't listen to Under Pressure any more.
[close]
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57705 on: February 13, 2024, 11:52:50 am »
I wanted to moan about the people who recommended Aftersun. I was an emotional wreck afterwards.

Fuckers  ;D

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #57706 on: February 13, 2024, 02:00:54 pm »
Aftersun really is an unbelievable piece of filmmaking. Been over a year since I saw it and I don't think a week has gone by without me thinking of that final sequence.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57707 on: February 13, 2024, 02:02:50 pm »
Aftersun really is an unbelievable piece of filmmaking. Been over a year since I saw it and I don't think a week has gone by without me thinking of that final sequence.
I'm with you, I don't think I have been moved so much by a film since (and very few I can recall before too). And that's without having similar experiences to the film's themes.

Not many better feature debuts I can think of in this era, either

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #57708 on: February 13, 2024, 02:22:35 pm »
Frankie Corio doesn't get half as much credit as she deserves for her performance in Aftersun. She's stellar in it.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #57709 on: February 13, 2024, 04:18:43 pm »
Frankie Corio doesn't get half as much credit as she deserves for her performance in Aftersun. She's stellar in it.

A proper character on the X Factir back on the day too.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #57710 on: February 13, 2024, 04:29:25 pm »
I wasn't massively impressed by The Zone of Interest while watching it, but it's stuck in my mind. It was essentially the same scene repeated throughout, the family doing something mundane while the camp itself is right there. It was short and I felt like it still dragged at times.

However, certain moments stick out as being incredibly haunting. The night vision sequences, the mother who comes to stay looking out of the window at night and the jarring cut back from the present day scenes to Hoss looking down the hallway. It was all so surreal and scared me in a way films haven't in a long time. Sound design helped massively.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57711 on: February 13, 2024, 06:10:37 pm »
I wanted to moan about the people who recommended Aftersun. I was an emotional wreck afterwards.

Fuckers  ;D

I'm going to think it's shite aren't I? :D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57712 on: February 14, 2024, 09:22:21 am »
I'm going to think it's shite aren't I? :D

Maybe! But you would have to be a piece of wood not to get emotional at it  ;D

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57713 on: February 14, 2024, 12:02:20 pm »
I was going to give Madame Web a miss (well, at least I was going to de-prioritise it) until I saw the reviews today.  Fresh score on RT of 17%, 29% average score on metacritic.  By far the worst scoring Marvel adjacent property (well recent at least).  Wow - might have to go see just to see how much a train wreck it is

Offline Vegeta

• Is definitely a vegetable. All posts stink like sprouts.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #57714 on: February 14, 2024, 06:10:44 pm »
Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to the Crank movies - if you're into action-packed thrill rides, these are a must-watch! Jason Statham is an absolute beast in these films, delivering non-stop excitement and insane stunts. The direction and editing are off the charts too, keeping the adrenaline pumping from start to finish. So if you're looking for some high-octane entertainment, definitely give Crank 1 and 2 a try!

So, I finally caved and watched the Lord of the Rings movies, and I have to be honest - I didn't see what all the hype was about.  Sure, they had some impressive visuals and epic battles, but there were a lot of issues that I couldn't overlook.

First off, the pacing was a major problem for me. It felt like they could have easily trimmed down each movie by an hour or two. There were so many unnecessary scenes that dragged on, and those walking scenes? I swear, it felt like they spent half the trilogy just trekking through mountains and forests. It got old real fast.

And speaking of the story, I found it pretty convoluted and hard to follow at times. There were so many characters and plotlines to keep track of that I often found myself feeling lost. Plus, some of the dialogue felt really cheesy and forced, which took me out of the experience.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the effort that went into making these movies, but they just didn't click with me. Maybe I'm missing something, but I was left feeling pretty disappointed overall.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 06:15:29 pm by Vegeta »
150 IQ never wrong.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #57715 on: February 14, 2024, 09:00:24 pm »
Haha, stop watching long, dialogue heavy films mate.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #57716 on: February 14, 2024, 09:46:42 pm »
How the fuck is LOTR hard to follow? A group of people have to destroy a powerful ring, the bad guys want to take the ring. That's fucking it.

Honestly, movies might not be your thing.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57717 on: February 14, 2024, 09:49:01 pm »
How the fuck is LOTR hard to follow? A group of people have to destroy a powerful ring, the bad guys want to take the ring. That's fucking it.

Honestly, movies might not be your thing.
Definitely a skill issue for Vegeta!

Imagine watching the first one and thinking hmm not sure I'm into this then watching another 5-6 more hours! ;D

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57718 on: February 14, 2024, 10:21:04 pm »
I'd love to live in a world whereby I could be entertained by a Jason Statham movie.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #57719 on: February 14, 2024, 10:28:29 pm »
I'd love to live in a world whereby I could be entertained by a Jason Statham movie.

Sometimes when I’m still thinking about Aftersun and sobbing 48 hours after watching it, I do wish I was simply just satisfied by watching The Meg 2.