Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3501376 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #57720 on: February 15, 2024, 12:36:45 am »
If you haven't realised Vegeta is on a wind-up by now, there's no hope for you :)

Veggy - Please tell me you are on a big wind-up, right?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57721 on: February 15, 2024, 08:23:58 am »
For those that haven't had the pleasure of seeing it yet, Past Lives is on Netflix today.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57722 on: February 15, 2024, 08:54:14 am »
I'd love to live in a world whereby I could be entertained by a Jason Statham movie.
To give Vegeta his due, both Crank films are decent and Crank: High Voltage in particular is genuinely brilliant, even if they are essentially satirising action films and action fans. He probably shouldn't go for the extended versions of LOTR though.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #57723 on: February 15, 2024, 08:56:27 am »
To give Vegeta his due, both Crank films are decent and Crank: High Voltage in particular is genuinely brilliant, even if they are essentially satirising action films and action fans. He probably shouldn't go for the extended versions of LOTR though.

Yeah just popping in to agree with this.  The Crank films are brilliant for what they are, really entertaining stuff and perfect for Statham.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #57724 on: February 15, 2024, 03:03:08 pm »
If the statue of Liberty and a CGI version of Charlton Heston doesn't appear in this film I will be very disappointed.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XtFI7SNtVpY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XtFI7SNtVpY</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #57725 on: February 15, 2024, 03:17:21 pm »
If the statue of Liberty and a CGI version of Charlton Heston doesn't appear in this film I will be very disappointed.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XtFI7SNtVpY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XtFI7SNtVpY</a>

so were the previous three Planet of the Apes films prequels to the Charlton Heston ones? Always thought these were 'stand alone' films.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:48:19 pm by pazcom »
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #57726 on: February 15, 2024, 04:00:39 pm »
so were the previous three Planet of the Apes films prequels to the Charlton Heston ones? Always thought these were 'stand alone' films.

Yes they are stand alone films but they have seemed to have reached the same time period as the first Planet of the Apes film I just mean a tip of the hat to the original film that beach looks familiar in the trailer

just something like in the background in one scene you get Heston getting off his horse and  kneeling in front of the Statue of Liberty his story is just going on at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 04:11:47 pm by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #57727 on: February 15, 2024, 04:39:38 pm »
He just can't let go of the part with his famously cold dead hand.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57728 on: February 15, 2024, 04:58:18 pm »
Did they explain how the apes overpowered the US military?

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57729 on: February 15, 2024, 05:38:53 pm »
Did they explain how the apes overpowered the US military?

Trump got in and encouraged the apes to attack the Nato members who didn't pay enough. Snowballed from there

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #57730 on: February 15, 2024, 05:49:23 pm »
Trump got in and encouraged the apes to attack the Nato members who didn't pay enough. Snowballed from there

Wasn't an insurrection, though...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #57731 on: February 15, 2024, 10:53:11 pm »
Dune part 2 had its premier tonight and people seem to be loving it calling its masterpiece and one of the best Sci Fi films ever

If it's half of that I will be happy.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57732 on: February 16, 2024, 09:02:38 am »

I remember seeing the scene in the original when I was a kid and it sent a shiver down my spine.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #57733 on: February 16, 2024, 09:52:33 am »
Dune part 2 had its premier tonight and people seem to be loving it calling its masterpiece and one of the best Sci Fi films ever

I'm not interested until I've heard Vegeta's review.

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #57734 on: February 16, 2024, 11:06:10 am »
I wasn't massively impressed by The Zone of Interest while watching it, but it's stuck in my mind. It was essentially the same scene repeated throughout, the family doing something mundane while the camp itself is right there. It was short and I felt like it still dragged at times.

However, certain moments stick out as being incredibly haunting. The night vision sequences, the mother who comes to stay looking out of the window at night and the jarring cut back from the present day scenes to Hoss looking down the hallway. It was all so surreal and scared me in a way films haven't in a long time. Sound design helped massively.

I think the mundanity of the activities around the house is part of the point. We are watching people go about their everyday lives, for some living out their dream life, all the while surrounded by death on an unimaginable scale, living in absolute certainty that what they are doing/witnessing is right and just  The sound design is haunting, the continuous noise of the crematoria working 24/7, the dogs, the screaming, the intermittent gunfire, all loud enough to hear, but just quiet enough to ignore.

I know this isn't a film for everyone, and I already have an interest in the subject matter so am biased, but I thought it was excellent and so different from pretty much anything else I have seen before.  It has stuck with me long after viewing.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57735 on: February 16, 2024, 04:22:24 pm »

Anything like part one, it will be absolute rubbish.

Honestly the most po-faced, dour film I've ever watched. The main character constantly looks like they're auditioning for an aftershave commercial. I'll admit I am not into all that fantasy stuff, but even I can appreciate Lord of the Rings. I can see why its great without necessarily liking it. With this, there's absolutely no sense of humanity or depth to any of the characters in Dune. Possibly the most overrated film I've ever watched. Shallow, one dimensional characters.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 12:14:21 am by mattD »

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57736 on: February 16, 2024, 04:22:58 pm »
For those that haven't had the pleasure of seeing it yet, Past Lives is on Netflix today.

The best film I saw last year. Just fantastic.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57737 on: February 16, 2024, 10:40:29 pm »

Saw Bob Marley - One Love today, the biopic covering Bob Marley in the late 70s when he's nearly killed in his own home in Jamaica, moving to London and becoming a global super star following the recording and release of Exodus.

Despite the fact it very much eschews the usual music biopic trope of the climb to fame (see Walk Hard) in this Marley is already a famous man in Jamaica and abroad. It still is very much by the numbers plotting. Feels like it relys too much on putting in another Marley tune instead of really digging into what made the man tick during these key years of his life.

A pity as Kingsley Ben-Adir is excellent as Bob Marley, as is Lashana Lynch as his wife Rita.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57738 on: February 16, 2024, 11:09:34 pm »
Saw Bob Marley - One Love today, the biopic covering Bob Marley in the late 70s when he's nearly killed in his own home in Jamaica, moving to London and becoming a global super star following the recording and release of Exodus.

Despite the fact it very much eschews the usual music biopic trope of the climb to fame (see Walk Hard) in this Marley is already a famous man in Jamaica and abroad. It still is very much by the numbers plotting. Feels like it relys too much on putting in another Marley tune instead of really digging into what made the man tick during these key years of his life.

A pity as Kingsley Ben-Adir is excellent as Bob Marley, as is Lashana Lynch as his wife Rita.

I know Ben Kingsley won an Academy Award for playing Gandi but doing Marley would be a bit of a stretch.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57739 on: February 16, 2024, 11:25:58 pm »
Finally saw american fiction as it wasn't out iny local light cinema in Bradford  (I have an unimited pass there so am loath to pay somewhere else). Wow. Just wow. Hysterically funny in parts, moving in others. Cant recommend highly enough

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57740 on: February 17, 2024, 12:02:29 am »
"I found 'Oppenhiermier' to be incredibly boring. How did this movie receive such high ratings? It felt like I was watching a History Channel documentary does anything interesting actually happen apart from boring people talking and talking fuck me!

"Does anything interesting actually happen" :lmao

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #57741 on: February 17, 2024, 08:53:48 am »
I know Ben Kingsley won an Academy Award for playing Gandi but doing Marley would be a bit of a stretch.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57742 on: February 17, 2024, 09:48:21 am »

Honestly the most po-faced, dour film I've ever watched. The main character constantly looks like they're auditioning for an aftershave commercial. I'll admit I am not into all that fantasy stuff, but even I can appreciate Lord of the Rings. I can see why its great without necessarily liking it. With this, there's absolutely no sense of humanity or depth to any of the characters in Dune. Possibly the most overrated film I've ever watched. Shallow, one dimensional characters.

Ah, I did miss your 'shallow, one dimensional' insights into a story you obviously know nothing about.

What you call 'lack of humanity' is portrayed perfectly in the movie as it is in the book. Mankind is not the same as what we understand - this journey of mankind is basically the core premise of the book. The peak of civilization trajectory we're currently on (one fueled by technology) is in the ancient past when events of Dune happen. We've hit peak automation apex and it came crashing around our ears in a devastating wars against sentient machines. Mankind said - never again. High level computations are done by humans, 'thinking machines', or computers, are strictly prohibited and controlled. These humans are called Mentats and much has been done to find way to increase their capabilities, including a covert breeding program, extensive training from young age and obviously mind altering drugs - ie spice. The main character 'auditioning for aftershave commercial' is one such mentat and then some. He is an unexpected result of hundreds of years of secret breeding program, done without consent of involved parties. He is basically beyond our understanding of humanity. Our definition of him would be a freak mathematical genius with prescient capabilities, fighting skills of Batman, political skills of FDR, military nous of Alexander the Great, trapped in a body of a teenager who is still very much a teenager going through losing of his father while falling in love. At the forefront of his mind through - is avoiding the pitfalls for mankind ahead. That's it basically, his game is making humanity survive long term, guiding them down that path kicking and screaming.

But yeah, shallow.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57743 on: February 17, 2024, 09:54:41 am »

Watched this last night, thought it was really good and will be going the cinema for Part Two.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57744 on: February 17, 2024, 10:17:42 am »
Going to see the Bob Marley film with the missus.

Love the fella. His music, his vibes, his passion.

I was lucky enough - about 30 years ago - to go to Jamaica and I sat on his 'dreaming stone' at his house. Met loads of Rastas and it was an incredible experience.

Jamaica is as rough as fuck, but there are some lovely people there among the dickhead drug dealing shithouses.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #57745 on: February 17, 2024, 12:18:07 pm »
Would anyone recommend Dune ahead of the second one coming out? A lot of hype over both films but I've never seen the David Lynch one or even read the books.

One thing I will say is I've seen a few of Dennis Villeneuve's films before and they've thoroughly whelmed me. Prisoners dragged and never really gripped me, thought Sicario was shite, Arrival bored me too. I gave Enemy a go and did think it was decent though. Strange because those few films I mentioned as not liking all looked as if they'd be my type of films too. Just didn't really like any of them bar Enemy.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #57746 on: February 17, 2024, 02:53:04 pm »
I wanted to moan about the people who recommended Aftersun. I was an emotional wreck afterwards.

Fuckers  ;D
Will probably watch this tonight as I have just found it's on the BBC iPlayer.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57747 on: February 17, 2024, 09:25:10 pm »

Ah, I did miss your 'shallow, one dimensional' insights into a story you obviously know nothing about.

What you call 'lack of humanity' is portrayed perfectly in the movie as it is in the book. Mankind is not the same as what we understand - this journey of mankind is basically the core premise of the book. The peak of civilization trajectory we're currently on (one fueled by technology) is in the ancient past when events of Dune happen. We've hit peak automation apex and it came crashing around our ears in a devastating wars against sentient machines. Mankind said - never again. High level computations are done by humans, 'thinking machines', or computers, are strictly prohibited and controlled. These humans are called Mentats and much has been done to find way to increase their capabilities, including a covert breeding program, extensive training from young age and obviously mind altering drugs - ie spice. The main character 'auditioning for aftershave commercial' is one such mentat and then some. He is an unexpected result of hundreds of years of secret breeding program, done without consent of involved parties. He is basically beyond our understanding of humanity. Our definition of him would be a freak mathematical genius with prescient capabilities, fighting skills of Batman, political skills of FDR, military nous of Alexander the Great, trapped in a body of a teenager who is still very much a teenager going through losing of his father while falling in love. At the forefront of his mind through - is avoiding the pitfalls for mankind ahead. That's it basically, his game is making humanity survive long term, guiding them down that path kicking and screaming.

But yeah, shallow.

Doesn't stop it from being a cold, unemotional film. That's fine if you can execute it in a way that is compelling which hits at your emotion. I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is a cold, unemotional film but mindbending and spectacular in its isolating and terrifying concept of humanity.

This film is just overwrought guff, refusing to engage any emotion.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 09:27:37 pm by mattD »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57748 on: February 17, 2024, 11:01:35 pm »
Will probably watch this tonight as I have just found it's on the BBC iPlayer.

I’ve just finished and wasn’t as moved as I thought I would be.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #57749 on: February 18, 2024, 09:08:55 am »
I’ve just finished and wasn’t as moved as I thought I would be.

Can see how it could go both ways for people to be honest.

Spoiler
Personally It felt like a bit of a perfect storm for me, my own struggles with mental health and the long difficult quest not to let it effect my own young daughter (and me often failing), the loss of my father, the shockingly real dreams of longing I have for people I've lost, searching for answers you can't ever find, the men I've known take their own lives. Even the time period and hotel was copy of ones that I went to when I was a teenager. And the music was all stuff I loved. All in all it all hit me like a tonne of bricks and left me quite shaken. I had no idea what the film was about and just happened upon it as I was going to bed and I got sucked in. It felt like some weird cosmic event i was experiencing wrapped around me. Hard to explain.
[close]

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57750 on: February 18, 2024, 09:40:17 am »
So. Post Bob-Marley film.

Brilliant. Me and the missus loved it. We love the Caribbean and Bob Marley kind of sums it up for us - though we've only been to Jamaica about 15 times. 

Was an amazing fella and does show that music can change the world.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57751 on: February 18, 2024, 11:39:41 am »
Doesn't stop it from being a cold, unemotional film. That's fine if you can execute it in a way that is compelling which hits at your emotion. I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is a cold, unemotional film but mindbending and spectacular in its isolating and terrifying concept of humanity. This film is just overwrought guff, refusing to engage any emotion.

Again, you're judging the movie on some imagined parameters that simply do not exist in the book. I'm judging it based on the book - and it almost perfectly nails the mood. Only thing really missing from Part 1 is an even longer, more elaborate period of scheming, paranoia and plotting after Atreides take over Arrakis. It is my favourite part of that section of the book, because you can feel the tension building. They know they are effectively trapped there, they know the hammer is coming, they suspect Emperor will help Harkonnens (they don't know he'll go as far as he does) and they know there is a traitor amongst them - so they suspect and blame each other. The only really emotional part of Part one of the book and the movie, only really tragic figure - is Paul's father Leto. I think their relationship in the movie is done perfectly. Leto never actually fully understands his son, while for Paul his father is the only real chink in his armour of pure logic, until later he gets involved with Chani. And him sensing his father's death (as Jessica does too) during the scene in the tent, while also tripping his balls on being overexposed to spice in the open desert - is the only moment his mask cracks and he breaks.

You say there is no emotion, but that's just it - almost all of the characters are working relentlessly all the time to conceal and deflect from their emotions. That's basically the way of the world. There are so many scenes with Jessica where you can see her having little turmoils she pushes down and refocuses, before and during Paul's Gom Jabbar trial, on Arrakis where she needs to 'stay strong' for Leto etc. Thing is - you miss these and just assume these are stone faced, robotic charicatures droning and waffling about. They aren't.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57752 on: February 18, 2024, 11:53:06 am »
Can see how it could go both ways for people to be honest.

Spoiler
Personally It felt like a bit of a perfect storm for me, my own struggles with mental health and the long difficult quest not to let it effect my own young daughter (and me often failing), the loss of my father, the shockingly real dreams of longing I have for people I've lost, searching for answers you can't ever find, the men I've known take their own lives. Even the time period and hotel was copy of ones that I went to when I was a teenager. And the music was all stuff I loved. All in all it all hit me like a tonne of bricks and left me quite shaken. I had no idea what the film was about and just happened upon it as I was going to bed and I got sucked in. It felt like some weird cosmic event i was experiencing wrapped around me. Hard to explain.
[close]

Yeah that makes complete sense as to why it hit you so hard. It was a good film that I’m glad I watched (in a weird way as it is depressing) but it just didn’t hit me like I expected.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57753 on: February 18, 2024, 12:11:23 pm »
Again, you're judging the movie on some imagined parameters that simply do not exist in the book. I'm judging it based on the book - and it almost perfectly nails the mood. Only thing really missing from Part 1 is an even longer, more elaborate period of scheming, paranoia and plotting after Atreides take over Arrakis. It is my favourite part of that section of the book, because you can feel the tension building. They know they are effectively trapped there, they know the hammer is coming, they suspect Emperor will help Harkonnens (they don't know he'll go as far as he does) and they know there is a traitor amongst them - so they suspect and blame each other. The only really emotional part of Part one of the book and the movie, only really tragic figure - is Paul's father Leto. I think their relationship in the movie is done perfectly. Leto never actually fully understands his son, while for Paul his father is the only real chink in his armour of pure logic, until later he gets involved with Chani. And him sensing his father's death (as Jessica does too) during the scene in the tent, while also tripping his balls on being overexposed to spice in the open desert - is the only moment his mask cracks and he breaks.

You say there is no emotion, but that's just it - almost all of the characters are working relentlessly all the time to conceal and deflect from their emotions. That's basically the way of the world. There are so many scenes with Jessica where you can see her having little turmoils she pushes down and refocuses, before and during Paul's Gom Jabbar trial, on Arrakis where she needs to 'stay strong' for Leto etc. Thing is - you miss these and just assume these are stone faced, robotic charicatures droning and waffling about. They aren't.

Well put. I've read all the books (many times) and knowing the stories and how the background sets out made it an astonishing film.

I was gobsmacked by how brilliantly it captured everything. I can see if you are just a punter and not much of a science fiction (And especially Dune) fan then it might be read differently, but this for once was a film made by nerds for nerds and it was fucking stunning.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57754 on: February 18, 2024, 02:46:48 pm »
For nerds, by nerds indeed.

There is one moment in the scene where Jessica interviews/interrogates Shadout Mapes. This scene is so richly explained in the book. Jessica is basically tapping in the dark, using her Bene Gesserit training and knowledge of myths they planted on Arrakis to find her way through. Shadout is both being interviewed and also interviewing Jessica. One wrong word and violence is inevitable.

Jessica basically by accident uses the word ‘Maker’ when asked by Shadout what crysknife is. She was going to say ‘Maker of death’. But she sees Shadouts reaction and halts. She hit the jackpot by using secret Fremen word for the sandworm. In the movie you see that ‘Maker ….. ‘ rest of the sentence being swallowed by Jessica. It is utterly brilliant the way it’s done. Almost imperceptable. But it carries the weight of five pages of the book behind it.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #57755 on: February 18, 2024, 02:51:57 pm »
Im really annoyed wanted to see Dune 2 in Imax so I thought I would check out where my local screen was and thought there must be one in Bristol or Bath nice and easy to get a bus tos seeing I have no car now but no my closest is in Swindon which takes hours to get to from Frome so it looks like it will be my local Fleapit.

It weird reading what people are saying about Dune 2 who have seen it saying its a generation defining movie, and not only one of the greatest sci fi films ever made but also one of the greatest war films

And watching this film young people will suddenly know what it was like for people watching Star Wars and The Empire strikes back for the first time when they were released.

The hype is huge I hope the Boxoffice matches it so he can make the 3rd final film.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IlN8YXf_xG4&amp;t=369s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IlN8YXf_xG4&amp;t=369s</a>
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 02:53:57 pm by Trada »

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57756 on: February 18, 2024, 04:25:01 pm »
Finally saw American Fiction today, such a quality film filled with great acting performances.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57757 on: February 18, 2024, 05:52:56 pm »
Been to see The Red Shoes and Casablanca on the big screen yesterday and today. Both were rewatches, but they're every bit as incredible as the first time seeing them. There's real magic in both of them, in very different ways. What a treat

Got to see a free preview of Perfect Days the other day too. Only my second Wenders viewing. very much a slow cinema film - if only it were slightly longer I reckon Vegeta might bafflingly choose it and struggle!

It's a lovely film though, and for me it successfully managed to avoid the twee feeling that films of a similar colour often fall into. didn't feel it's length and left wanting more. great performance from the main actor. perfect soundtrack too. obviously a bit meat and potatoes, but i think that was part of the magic - re-hearing songs i've been familiar with for so long but with a fresh eye/ear of appreciation. I also think there's something about this post-acute stages of the pandemic era that will make themes of this film chime extra for some.

if the simple premise sounds up your street, i'd highly recommend Perfect Days. if you often say about films 'what was the story, i didn't see the point' i wouldn't'
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 05:57:35 pm by classycarra »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57758 on: February 18, 2024, 09:10:28 pm »
I'm yet to see it but Oppenheimer was the big winner at Bafta's today including best film, best male actor & supporting actor. That right?

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57759 on: February 18, 2024, 10:04:13 pm »
I'm yet to see it but Oppenheimer was the big winner at Bafta's today including best film, best male actor & supporting actor. That right?

Yeah won best director and cinematography as well.

Da'vine Joy Randolf deservedly won best supporting actress for The Holdovers. Emma Stone won best actress for Poor Things.

Zone of Interest won best film in a foreign language and outstanding British film.

American Fiction won best adapted screen play.
Anatomy of a Fall won best original screen play.