Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 403154 times)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #9560 on: May 22, 2024, 12:05:10 pm »
Arsenal's biggest issue is that they gained a short-term advantage through the use of a set-piece coach. They packed their team with big players. Played for free kicks and essentially turned games into a gridiron game. They had plays, involving blockers and Arteta even managed to introduce time-outs.

It is a bit like us with the use of analytics. As soon as you are successful teams copy you and the edge largely disappears. Numerous teams are now recruiting set-piece coaches who will look to nullify Arsenal from set pieces. So unless Arteta can come up with a new edge then they will likely regress. It might even get to the stage when they have to abandon American Football moves and return to playing soccer for 90 minutes. Something they arent very good at as evidenced by their performances in the knockout stages of the CL.

That might have already been happening. Looking at the games from the City game onwards in March, i can't remember many set piece goals. A couple of penalties, the Spurs game stands out for set piece goals but Ange has already said that's not their biggest issue  ;D, struggling to think of many more in that period?

Think we need to address the left hand side to be honest, the right side is more set with White > Odegaard > Saka, but the left side has been a bit more dysfunctional, the left back area was a big issue, the left sided number 8 an issue, Martinelli & Trossard have shared the left forward position.

I'd like a bit more pace in the forward areas as well if there are games we need to soak up some pressure then pace on the counter is usually a very good 'out' in these type of games, as sometimes the transition is too slow.

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #9561 on: May 22, 2024, 12:09:52 pm »
Arsenal will probably not have the luck of injuries carry on....but they should be challenging next season. Can win it too if they hold their nerve. To go close twice in consecutive seasons can take a lot out of you - interesting to see how they react.

May need some fresh blood - definitely a new striker that hits the ground running would be ideal for them

Arsenal have been in top gear for two seasons running. But With no Klopp to bother Pep, City have been strolling in second and sometimes third gear. If Arsenal do something even Klopp couldn't do: have an even stronger third season in a row, then I can see Pep breaking a sweat albeit briefly.

To challenge for the league title against Pep you'll need 95 points and even then it's still not heavily in your favour.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9562 on: May 22, 2024, 12:13:11 pm »
Spot on.

Not really we’ve taken staff from City also.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9563 on: May 22, 2024, 12:16:05 pm »

Here's a good article that sums it all up. This was for the previous season 22/23. Seems we're middle of the road for most charts.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/05/guide-to-premier-league-time-wasting/

The obvious thing i see is Klopp very much likes play restarted quicker, probably part of the high energetic football and the feeling of not giving opponents a rest. I remember Ange focussed on this a lot while at Celtic, he wanted play to restart quick so teams don't get settled or even set when taking a throw in.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #9564 on: May 22, 2024, 12:22:56 pm »
Did I see the ref's are clamping down on the time keepers have the ball next season?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9565 on: May 22, 2024, 12:25:03 pm »
That might have already been happening. Looking at the games from the City game onwards in March, i can't remember many set piece goals. A couple of penalties, the Spurs game stands out for set piece goals but Ange has already said that's not their biggest issue  ;D, struggling to think of many more in that period?

Think we need to address the left hand side to be honest, the right side is more set with White > Odegaard > Saka, but the left side has been a bit more dysfunctional, the left back area was a big issue, the left sided number 8 an issue, Martinelli & Trossard have shared the left forward position.

I'd like a bit more pace in the forward areas as well if there are games we need to soak up some pressure then pace on the counter is usually a very good 'out' in these type of games, as sometimes the transition is too slow.

The issue though is similar to what Mourinho found. Once you concentrate on coaching a team to rely on the dark arts and relying on set pieces then it is really hard to move away from. If you want to be a progressive attacking team then like Liverpool under Klopp or City under Ped you want the ball in play as much as possible.

This is damning from O'Neil about how Arsenal currently play.

The Wolves manager said: ‘There was a lengthy stoppage in there and they told us we’d go to 98 minutes but then Arsenal took 45 seconds over at least three free-kicks they had.

Sometimes you don’t expect Arsenal to be time-wasting but I am sure if we had taken as long over some of the throws and restarts away at the Emirates we would have been receiving yellow cards.’

https://www.justarsenal.com/should-arsenal-do-something-about-ben-whites-time-wasting/359513

Even Arsenal fans are getting on to it.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9566 on: May 22, 2024, 12:34:53 pm »
Arsenal will probably not have the luck of injuries carry on....but they should be challenging next season. Can win it too if they hold their nerve. To go close twice in consecutive seasons can take a lot out of you - interesting to see how they react.

May need some fresh blood - definitely a new striker that hits the ground running would be ideal for them
If they get a new striker, what happens to Havertz who's their highest earner?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9567 on: May 22, 2024, 12:36:45 pm »
I think Arsenal may well regress next season to be honest. Lego head isn't bringing in the silverware despite spending massive amounts of money and that in itself brings it's own pressure. Will top players like Saka and Rice want to spend years more at a club that can't even land a league cup?
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9568 on: May 22, 2024, 12:38:50 pm »
Did I see the ref's are clamping down on the time keepers have the ball next season?

I hope so. Also this nonsense of keepers catching an easy cross and then diving onto the ground to waste time should be an automatic yellow card. Another cuntish tactic lego head has employed the last few seasons.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9569 on: May 22, 2024, 12:40:19 pm »
Here's a good article that sums it all up. This was for the previous season 22/23. Seems we're middle of the road for most charts.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/05/guide-to-premier-league-time-wasting/

The obvious thing i see is Klopp very much likes play restarted quicker, probably part of the high energetic football and the feeling of not giving opponents a rest. I remember Ange focussed on this a lot while at Celtic, he wanted play to restart quick so teams don't get settled or even set when taking a throw in.

It works for Arsenal at the moment because you clearly have an advantage from set pieces. Taking time out of the game also allows you to maintain a high press for longer periods. The issue will come if teams nullify your set piece advantage.

That then requires a whole new mindset if you then need to revert to making games as long as possible if you are being forced to break teams down through open play. That will also require more squad depth.

Arteta is currently looking to control games by breaking them down into small chunks. A game of constant slowed-down restarts currently suits you. You have a lot of big players who enjoy playing in short high high-intensity bursts. Lose the set piece advantage and that will change especially for your big full backs.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9570 on: May 22, 2024, 12:43:10 pm »
I hope so. Also this nonsense of keepers catching an easy cross and then diving onto the ground to waste time should be an automatic yellow card. Another cuntish tactic lego head has employed the last few seasons.

The worst one is Arsenal players faking head injuries as soon as the opposition builds up a head of steam. Regular as clockwork you will see an Arsenal player go down and Arteta getting his players into a huddle.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #9571 on: May 22, 2024, 12:45:20 pm »
The worst one is Arsenal players faking head injuries as soon as the opposition builds up a head of steam. Regular as clockwork you will see an Arsenal player go down and Arteta getting his players into a huddle.

When Saka injured himself off the pitch a game or two ago, I said to my dad, he'll be back on in a min to sit down and stop the game, and...................

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9572 on: May 22, 2024, 12:47:16 pm »
Arteta will be gone by Christmas.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9573 on: May 22, 2024, 12:48:18 pm »
When Saka injured himself off the pitch a game or two ago, I said to my dad, he'll be back on in a min to sit down and stop the game, and...................

It is just blatant cheating and needs to be stopped.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #9574 on: May 22, 2024, 12:51:05 pm »

No they're thinking about changing the law to 8 seconds and then a corner or a throw in being given to the opposite team because referees think the current punishment of an indirect free is too harsh and difficult to manage so they won't apply the law.

This annoys the fuck out of me as well and its something every team does

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9575 on: May 22, 2024, 01:02:10 pm »
No they're thinking about changing the law to 8 seconds and then a corner or a throw in being given to the opposite team because referees think the current punishment of an indirect free is too harsh and difficult to manage so they won't apply the law.

This annoys the fuck out of me as well and its something every team does

No it's not. I've only ever seen Allison do it once and that was taking the piss out of Pickford.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 01:03:56 pm by Mister Flip Flop »

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9576 on: May 22, 2024, 01:02:14 pm »
I get that mate, and i would say perhaps I'm not as vocal as some of the others that progression is a sure thing, i fully understand a variety of things can happen that stalls progression.

I can say why i think it could happen, but at the same time, i know football has a great way of coming back to bite you on the arse with these things. I've never been one for making bold proclamations that things WILL happen.
No idea what gave you that impression

Thought I’d kept it well hidden.

Online Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #9577 on: May 22, 2024, 01:11:45 pm »
No it's not. I've only ever seen Allison do it once and that was taking the piss out of Pickford.

He's done it plenty more times than that

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9578 on: May 22, 2024, 01:28:10 pm »

We are the team who takes the least time over goal kicks in the League.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9579 on: May 22, 2024, 01:34:21 pm »
Only ever seen him do it against Everton.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9580 on: May 22, 2024, 01:39:00 pm »
The issue though is similar to what Mourinho found. Once you concentrate on coaching a team to rely on the dark arts and relying on set pieces then it is really hard to move away from. If you want to be a progressive attacking team then like Liverpool under Klopp or City under Ped you want the ball in play as much as possible.

This is damning from O'Neil about how Arsenal currently play.

The Wolves manager said: ‘There was a lengthy stoppage in there and they told us we’d go to 98 minutes but then Arsenal took 45 seconds over at least three free-kicks they had.

Sometimes you don’t expect Arsenal to be time-wasting but I am sure if we had taken as long over some of the throws and restarts away at the Emirates we would have been receiving yellow cards.’

https://www.justarsenal.com/should-arsenal-do-something-about-ben-whites-time-wasting/359513

Even Arsenal fans are getting on to it.

This is where we need to distinguish things though. For a start, 'dark arts' as a description is subjective. We apparently play for set pieces, how does free kicks awarded or corners won compare to our peers? The charts are showing data that is 1 or 2 sec difference, when you count that in your head, is that a massive difference really? You supply an article that talks about Ben White time wasting, whereas the same article talks about Zinchenko not, so does this suggest it's coached or player dependent?

Then you mention that we rely on dark arts. I think we can do both sides of the game to be honest. I actually like that we seem adept at all facets of the game, that we can play nice football, that we can mix it up if we need to, that we are a threat on set pieces while at the same time being good at defending them. I've too often seen us being weak, in defending set pieces, in being physically bullied, in being naïve when playing the likes of Chelsea in the past.

Online Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #9581 on: May 22, 2024, 01:39:35 pm »
We are the team who takes the least time over goal kicks in the League.

I'm not on about goal kicks so don't know what that's got to do with anything

Only ever seen him do it against Everton.

He's done it more than that. Granted its usually in stoppage time and its not everytime we're under pressure but to say he's only ever done it once is looking through extremely red tinted specs.

Still doesn't take away from it being something that needs to be clamped down on.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9582 on: May 22, 2024, 02:06:02 pm »
Arsenal were definitely very fortunate that none of their key players suffered any medium term injuries. They pretty much played the same first 11 for the last month of the season which is unheard of. That will probably be the key to sustaining another title challenge next season.

They had 8 players make 30+ league starts - Raya, Saliba, Gabriel, White, Rice, Odegaard, Havertz, Saka. And 7 of those had 35 or more appearances (the exception being Raya because he wasn't first choice at the start of the season).

At no point did they ever have less than 6 of them in a starting line-up, and most of the time any missing players would still be on the bench.
The only time they had two of the eight missing from the squad entirely was at home to Burnley in Nov.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9583 on: May 22, 2024, 02:39:26 pm »
This is where we need to distinguish things though. For a start, 'dark arts' as a description is subjective. We apparently play for set pieces, how does free kicks awarded or corners won compare to our peers? The charts are showing data that is 1 or 2 sec difference, when you count that in your head, is that a massive difference really?

Dark arts is the likes of Saka hitting the deck whenever anyone breathes on him. You taking an age over every free kick. Then looking to block multiple players from free kicks. With Ben White given the role of obstructing the keeper. Getting mysterious head injuries when under pressure. Head injuries so concerning that your entire team has to get into a huddle with Arteta on the touch line to console each other.

The bit you seem to be missing is that it is usually the underdog who looks to time waste to try and shorten the game. You are a supposedly top team that looks to do it at almost every opportunity. It is about reducing the game into small manageable chunks that Arteta and Jover can micro-manage.

You supply an article that talks about Ben White time wasting, whereas the same article talks about Zinchenko not, so does this suggest it's coached or player dependent?

I would say that it is about the formative years of a players career. Zinchenko played for years under Ped whose teams look to restart the game as quickly as possible to try and extend games. White has been coached by Lego head to be incredibly cynical.

Then you mention that we rely on dark arts. I think we can do both sides of the game to be honest. I actually like that we seem adept at all facets of the game, that we can play nice football, that we can mix it up if we need to, that we are a threat on set pieces while at the same time being good at defending them. I've too often seen us being weak, in defending set pieces, in being physically bullied, in being naïve when playing the likes of Chelsea in the past.

I think it is pretty poor trying to excuse becoming a bully just because you were previously bullied by Chelsea. What Arsenal now do from set pieces is downright cheating. It isn't American Football where the objective is to block the opposition's keeper and centre-backs. It is just deeply cynical gamesmanship and why I compare Arsenal under Arteta to Chelsea under Mourinho.

Arsenal used to be a class club who played the game the right way. Not a cynical win at all costs team that pushes the boundaries of fair play in every game. We have lost one of the good guys in Klopp who demanded his players play the game in the right way. Will the game be worth watching if it becomes a battle of City cheating off the pitch versus Arsenal cheating on the pitch.

Liverpool v City games between Klopp and Ped have become legendary affairs. With both teams looking to attack each other at every opportunity. Compare that to Arsenal's performance at the Etihad in which you took every opportunity to kill the game stone dead.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 02:42:06 pm by Eeyore »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9584 on: May 22, 2024, 02:43:03 pm »
^

Don't forget wrestling a player back towards his own goal line to play everyone onside too
Jurgen YNWA

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9585 on: May 22, 2024, 03:12:46 pm »
Don't forget wrestling a player back towards his own goal line to play everyone onside too
Which the gooners on here said was a great piece of play, by the way.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9586 on: May 22, 2024, 06:54:36 pm »

I know what dark arts you are taking about because they are mentioned like almost every 2nd post on here.
My issue is that I think it's over emphasised, but that's just me.

I mean people have a bee in their bonnet about Saliba's supposed cheating on a corner. I watched part of that game back, and it looks like it's, Enzos job to try and block Saliba on corners. There's different occasions he has his arms round him trying to block him. I think on this occasion Saliba just is too strong and walks him back.

The problem is that some of the Arsenal social media plonker highlighted this play and portrayed this as some sort of genius deliberate act, despite the fact it wasn't ever really seen before or seen since.

Meanwhile your man on here has bitten has taken the bait and is now adding it to the cheating list.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9587 on: May 22, 2024, 07:34:25 pm »
This one image sums up Arsenal under Arteta.

Ben White against his old club trying to get an opponent sent off in an incident he instigated.

Win finish second at all costs.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #9588 on: May 22, 2024, 07:50:25 pm »
I'm not on about goal kicks so don't know what that's got to do with anything

He's done it more than that. Granted its usually in stoppage time and its not everytime we're under pressure but to say he's only ever done it once is looking through extremely red tinted specs.

Still doesn't take away from it being something that needs to be clamped down on.

Part of the conversation was about time-wasting. Liverpool is the quickest to get the ball back into play, including from goal kicks.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9589 on: May 22, 2024, 08:16:49 pm »
This one image sums up Arsenal under Arteta.

Ben White against his old club trying to get an opponent sent off in an incident he instigated.

Win finish second at all costs.
Fucking blatant red card there! Ben White is literally being strangled!

Offline StigenKeegan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9590 on: May 22, 2024, 08:43:24 pm »

Liverpool v City games between Klopp and Ped have become legendary affairs. With both teams looking to attack each other at every opportunity. Compare that to Arsenal's performance at the Etihad in which you took every opportunity to kill the game stone dead.

Yeah... How did that work out for them? While most people were saying that they wasted their chance to really have a go at a weakened City and even pointing out that all the number crunchers showed that they really needed to win it to have any chance at the title, all the Goons were bigging their cowardly gamesmanship display as some sort of monumental epic triumph. Even Rodri this week that they took Arsenal less seriously after... We all knew what it takes to beat the cheat, but they thought they knew better.

I'm not 100% convinced that this Arsenal team has peaked yet. I remember Tomkins writing a piece years ago showing how teams often imporoved the most in the second year after big investments. It would be interesting to see if they can compete without the massive shithousery, as they in my eyes, are the most dislikeable team in the PL atm (on the field, obviously, not compared to Citys cheating and Newcastles owners), but it might well be that being cyincal, sly and cheating is not the best way to devolop a real winning culture...

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9591 on: May 22, 2024, 09:11:23 pm »
Arteta changed the style from the 22-23 fast paced/fast start, to a more 'controlled' style. This upset a lot of people, mainly as there were teething issues and an adjustment period. First 19 games of the year, we conceded 18 league goals. Second 19 games of the season, we conceded 8.

Reason im saying this, is it was the second half of the season were the team started to look more comfortable playing the more 'controlled' style of play. We went long stretches keeping cleansheets by design. We were seldom conceding chances and simply put, if you limit the chances on your goal, you reduce the likelihood of conceding. Raya isnt an Allison level keeper who 'bails us out', Raya won the golden glove because of the organization and defensive nous in front of him.

There will be no teething issue at the beginning of next season. And if we execute over the course of a season, what we did in the league in the second half of the season, we have the chance to concede circa 20 goals a season, maybe even less, maybe even push that Chelsea record of 15 in a whole season.

This is why Arteta is talking about 100 points. This is what the Arteta doubters dont understand. Arsenal fans who want Arteta out = lemmings

Good God almighty.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9592 on: May 22, 2024, 09:20:06 pm »
Good God almighty.
He thinks it’s Fifa on the PlayStation.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9593 on: May 22, 2024, 09:28:40 pm »
Yeah... How did that work out for them? While most people were saying that they wasted their chance to really have a go at a weakened City and even pointing out that all the number crunchers showed that they really needed to win it to have any chance at the title, all the Goons were bigging their cowardly gamesmanship display as some sort of monumental epic triumph. Even Rodri this week that they took Arsenal less seriously after... We all knew what it takes to beat the cheat, but they thought they knew better.

I'm not 100% convinced that this Arsenal team has peaked yet. I remember Tomkins writing a piece years ago showing how teams often imporoved the most in the second year after big investments. It would be interesting to see if they can compete without the massive shithousery, as they in my eyes, are the most dislikeable team in the PL atm (on the field, obviously, not compared to Citys cheating and Newcastles owners), but it might well be that being cyincal, sly and cheating is not the best way to devolop a real winning culture...

Feck me, this Man City game has taken on some status now. A weakened City, that hasn't lost at home in 18 months or so, a Man City team that the likes of Liverpool & Klopp couldn't beat in the league at The Etihad under Pep and likewise Madrid with Ancelotti. It's some stick to beat us with like.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 09:30:26 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9594 on: May 22, 2024, 09:30:49 pm »
Feck me, this Man City game has taken on some status now. A weakened City, that hasn't lost at home in 18 months or so, a Man City team that the likes of Liverpool & Klopp and Madrid with Ancelotti couldn't beat at The Etihad. It's some stick to beat us with like.

I know, even the professional footballers involved in the game have commented on it. Almost as if there's something in it eh?

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9595 on: May 22, 2024, 09:33:30 pm »
Feck me, this Man City game has taken on some status now. A weakened City, that hasn't lost at home in 18 months or so, a Man City team that the likes of Liverpool & Klopp couldn't beat in the league at The Etihad under Pep and likewise Madrid with Ancelotti. It's some stick to beat us with like.
The point we were all making, including before the game, was that if you didn’t win that game then you wouldn’t win the league. No one is saying you would’ve definitely won if you’d attacked Abu Dhabi, but that you didn’t even try. That game was Arsenal’s chance to win the title but they shit out of it.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9596 on: May 22, 2024, 09:42:54 pm »
I know, even the professional footballers involved in the game have commented on it. Almost as if there's something in it eh?

Aye, we believe Rodri needed that wee bit of belief as City struggle for belief at the end of a season. I mean it couldn't be an opportunity to just have a wee dig because they didn't get things their own way like they usually do vs Arsenal this season. Would be much better if we opened up and played into their hands.  ::)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9597 on: May 22, 2024, 09:57:20 pm »
The point we were all making, including before the game, was that if you didn’t win that game then you wouldn’t win the league. No one is saying you would’ve definitely won if you’d attacked Abu Dhabi, but that you didn’t even try. That game was Arsenal’s chance to win the title but they shit out of it.

And the problem I have with this is you automatically assuming we went there to defend only, and you don't just think we actually wanted to play on the counter as we seen that as the best chance to get a result, but we just didn't do it well enough. The players interviewed after the game were disappointed in their use of the ball as well.

Even still, we probably created 2 of the best opening of the game late on when Jesus was a yard from a Saka squared ball, and then Trosaard should have squared to Martinelli for a near tap in. The game is about small margins, poor decision making cost us then.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 10:02:54 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline StigenKeegan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9598 on: May 22, 2024, 10:00:24 pm »
Aye, we believe Rodri needed that wee bit of belief as City struggle for belief at the end of a season. I mean it couldn't be an opportunity to just have a wee dig because they didn't get things their own way like they usually do vs Arsenal this season. Would be much better if we opened up and played into their hands.  ::)

Call me crazy, but I think it would probably have been a lot better for you to play the game to win it? I mean with all that being two points from actually winning the league stuff there at the end no? You took a calculated gamble that it would be enough. Only problem...your calculator showed a different result from all the other calculators in the world... Cannot believe that you STILL think that was a good bet! It wouldn't even have made a difference in the end if you had lost ffs!

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9599 on: May 22, 2024, 10:08:28 pm »
Call me crazy, but I think it would probably have been a lot better for you to play the game to win it? I mean with all that being two points from actually winning the league stuff there at the end no? You took a calculated gamble that it would be enough. Only problem...your calculator showed a different result from all the other calculators in the world... Cannot believe that you STILL think that was a good bet! It wouldn't even have made a difference in the end if you had lost ffs!

Better off leaving it, mate. I've never seen anything like the delusions on here from these fellas. Anyone comes up with anything that could be a negative, a possible negative or a worry at all and they're all on in their floods with every excuse in the book about how nothing negative could ever happen to Arsenal or Arteta. And yet here they are, a lockdown FA Cup in 2020 to show for being the best team ever ever ever.