Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 403587 times)

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #9640 on: May 23, 2024, 12:28:28 pm »
Listen, I see both sides. We've just had an 89 point season, and yet there seems like obvious areas we could improve the team, and 1 of them in Timber is already ours.

But at the same time, others make valid points. Improvement isn't always linear, things might affect us more such as injuries etc, and just the simple fact it's really hard to maintain title challenging form over 3 seasons.

What I think Arteta has done is raised the floor of the team probably to an 80 point team. After that, your looking for things to go your way, transfers to be right and settle well, luck with injuries, perhaps rivals to struggle etc.

One thing I do know though, is no-one on here likes to hear is a rival fan telling everyone how good their team WILL be. Most tend to be open to discussing how you might improve, but confidence like BBA's will just get you shot down.

I wouldnt expect an improvement if our main players were approaching 30 or above, or if we bought a lot of new players in. All the conditions are there for another step up next season, providing we strengthen the couple of areas that need improvement.

Then there is that hope that maybe next season will be the season where city post up mid 80s total, it’s unlikely but they did dip the one season when liverpool broke their will.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 12:31:22 pm by The North Bank »

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9641 on: May 23, 2024, 12:52:24 pm »
I wouldnt expect an improvement if our main players were approaching 30 or above, or if we bought a lot of new players in. All the conditions are there for another step up next season, providing we strengthen the couple of areas that need improvement.

Then there is that hope that maybe next season will be the season where city post up mid 80s total, it’s unlikely but they did dip the one season when liverpool broke their will.
You never know what will happen. Players could lose form. Saka might actually get a real injury. Odourgard might actually stop getting away with abusing the officials. Havertz and the rest might not get away with cheating and diving all the time.
The arrogance from Arsenal fans is off the scale, particularly when you consider they’ve actually won fuck all. You have won the same as Everton  over recent seasons!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9642 on: May 23, 2024, 12:57:36 pm »
When you weight it all up Arsenal did have a lot go their way this season but you need that. It's part of every teams success. Will they have it again next season? Who knows but they will probably have another good go, if Arteta is all that.  He might have a job on his hands getting the players motivated again after 2 near misses. (well 1 and 1 where the bed was well and truly shat). One thing I really disagree with though is the notion that they just have to add 1 clinical striker and everything changes. Football isn't as simple as that. What gets taken out of the team up front may be more important than what goes in. And you add a striker like that in you may see a drop off in players like Saka. He probably gets a lot more out of playing with a less selfish type of striker. 

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9643 on: May 23, 2024, 01:06:55 pm »
Getting a pretty easy ride in the media. Imagine if we had their season yet never won anything? We'd be getting pelters.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9644 on: May 23, 2024, 01:17:29 pm »

I get that, and that's all part of my reasoning why we could improve. Where I'm different from BBA is that I'm not automatically assuming it. We had an ACL injury happen to us the very first game of the season last season. How would we have coped if that was Saliba or Rice for instance. These are perfectly valid concerns to have, and why I tend to air on the side of caution against making bold predictions.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #9645 on: May 23, 2024, 01:20:23 pm »
I get that, and that's all part of my reasoning why we could improve. Where I'm different from BBA is that I'm not automatically assuming it. We had an ACL injury happen to us the very first game of the season last season. How would we have coped if that was Saliba or Rice for instance. These are perfectly valid concerns to have, and why I tend to air on the side of caution against making bold predictions.

Saliba, Rice, Saka and all the other players are all playing at a pretty high level at the moment as well and its not a guarantee that they definitely get better next season either. This could be their limit. No one can ever be certain

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9646 on: May 23, 2024, 01:45:54 pm »
Go home the season is finished. Your family misses you Gooners.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9647 on: May 23, 2024, 01:47:51 pm »
Saliba, Rice, Saka and all the other players are all playing at a pretty high level at the moment as well and its not a guarantee that they definitely get better next season either. This could be their limit. No one can ever be certain

Yeah, for me anyway where Im hoping for improvement is more from the supporting cast around them. We've had issues at left back all season. We've had Jorginho and Partey (& Havertz actually) as a partner for Rice, none of them I'd say is the answer. Havertz has done well since being moved up front, but is he the final answer?

That's where I see the most room for improvement, rather than from the core you mention.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #9648 on: May 23, 2024, 01:51:13 pm »
Ive long said the cycle is kind to us. Arsenal do not have any key players getting to the age where the powers wane, nor will we face any big name exists the summer. Partey and maybe Smith-Rowe is probably the biggest names who might leave the club, in additional to Ramsdale.

I look at Liverpool I see massive change given the managerial change. Salah will be 32 into the new season, VVD will be 33. Both are really pushing it and getting to the Saudi/MLS age. Same goes De Bruyne will be 33 next season, Kyle Walker will be 34, and decent probability Bernardo Silva leaves this year.

There comes a time when the axis turns. Cycles exit their peak and start a come down, whole other cycles commence their peak. Ive always said Arsenal need to play the long game, which even goes beyond 2025 in a world in which Pep retires. There will be dividends in backing Arteta. Contrast to these Arsenal 'fans' who want to nosebleed a Conte or Tuchel appointment.

Arteta will win the Premier League at Arsenal. I know it

Any way this clown could have a name change to NoBrainArteta?

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9649 on: May 23, 2024, 01:54:01 pm »
He's gonna blow a fuse if Saka and Rice come back from the Euro's with broken legs..... season over there and then.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9650 on: May 23, 2024, 01:56:06 pm »

I'm 50:50 whether it is actually Arteta.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9651 on: May 23, 2024, 01:56:22 pm »
We need a vote on a new name for them.

Come on Andy, get it sorted.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9652 on: May 23, 2024, 01:57:13 pm »

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #9654 on: May 23, 2024, 02:22:31 pm »
Go home the season is finished. Your family misses you Gooners.

[FERRIS]  You're still here? it's over, go home.  [/FERRIS]

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #9655 on: May 23, 2024, 04:22:43 pm »

Arsenal are playing the long game. That's why they've won fuck all in the last 10 years beyond a couple FA Cups. Everton need to start using that as a reason for winning sweet fuck all in decades: "We're playing the long game."

Arteta's playing 4D chess while we're all still playing checkers.

[Side note: Sometimes I reply in this thread just to bump it up to the top for Samie.]
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9656 on: May 23, 2024, 05:06:27 pm »
Arsenal are playing the long game. That's why they've won fuck all in the last 10 years beyond a couple FA Cups. Everton need to start using that as a reason for winning sweet fuck all in decades: "We're playing the long game."

Arteta's playing 4D chess while we're all still playing checkers.

[Side note: Sometimes I reply in this thread just to bump it up to the top for Samie.]

Ive actually been close to taking an extended break lots of times, but it's Samie's posts that draw me back in!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jurgen YNWA

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #9658 on: May 23, 2024, 07:06:30 pm »
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9659 on: May 23, 2024, 07:11:16 pm »

How about LegoBrainArteta.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #9660 on: May 23, 2024, 07:44:28 pm »
Ive actually been close to taking an extended break lots of times, but it's Samie's posts that draw me back in!

;)
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #9661 on: May 23, 2024, 09:05:37 pm »
How about LegoBrainArteta.

Very good.   ;D

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9662 on: May 25, 2024, 11:03:50 am »
Morning

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #9663 on: May 25, 2024, 11:31:18 am »
I think Arsenal should improve. Saliba and Gabriel are a brilliant centre back pairing. Rice and Odegaard are great pairing in midfield. Saka is still young. Havertz after a slow start looks to be fitting in well now. All young and more experienced now. Not sure about Arteta though is he a top level coach, and hate the diving and moaning. But I can see they are a good team.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9664 on: May 25, 2024, 11:49:32 am »
I think Arsenal should improve. Saliba and Gabriel are a brilliant centre back pairing. Rice and Odegaard are great pairing in midfield. Saka is still young. Havertz after a slow start looks to be fitting in well now. All young and more experienced now. Not sure about Arteta though is he a top level coach, and hate the diving and moaning. But I can see they are a good team.

Good day

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #9665 on: May 25, 2024, 12:15:59 pm »
Question though if pep or Jurgen had Arsenal this past season where would they finish? Still 2nd ?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9666 on: May 25, 2024, 01:28:04 pm »
Question though if pep or Jurgen had Arsenal this past season where would they finish? Still 2nd ?

It would depend who had man city

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9667 on: May 25, 2024, 01:34:15 pm »
It would depend who had man city
Arteta

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #9668 on: May 25, 2024, 01:41:15 pm »
Yes it's a bit of a silly question. Guess city have Pep. Its more I should have said would Pep or Klopp get more from Arsenal than Arteta this last season. Probably unfair because Pep and Klopp are vastly more experienced and Arteta is only starting. I thought he played it safe at City away. If more confident should have gone for the throat. Tough to say. Could lose. But the mindset to me is a bit negative doesn't really trust his team to win and dominant. So no real faith in your guys that they are the big boy bollocks lol. Maybe that will come next season. Learning on the job still.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9669 on: May 25, 2024, 01:46:46 pm »
Yes it's a bit of a silly question. Guess city have Pep. Its more I should have said would Pep or Klopp get more from Arsenal than Arteta this last season. Probably unfair because Pep and Klopp are vastly more experienced and Arteta is only starting. I thought he played it safe at City away. If more confident should have gone for the throat. Tough to say. Could lose. But the mindset to me is a bit negative doesn't really trust his team to win and dominant. So no real faith in your guys that they are the big boy bollocks lol. Maybe that will come next season. Learning on the job still.

He made this team, with outgoings and incomings over a few seasons so its a bit more than one season of managing good players. Tactics spot on, probably wouldn’t have started Jesus upfront against Villa though, after going unbeaten all year with Havertz upfront. But its hindsight etc.

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #9670 on: May 25, 2024, 01:55:24 pm »
If I was to pick I would go for Arsenal over city over the next few years. KDB will be gone, Silva too probably. Foden is their future  but Arsenal have lots in the 22-26 age group that is it chore. Like Liverpool in 2018. Plus city are cheats stale football no fan base boring fuckers. With a big donkey robot upfront.

I still have faith in liverpool. But have to get the summer transfers right and I have a good feeling about Arne

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9671 on: May 25, 2024, 02:02:23 pm »
If I was to pick I would go for Arsenal over city over the next few years. KDB will be gone, Silva too probably. Foden is their future  but Arsenal have lots in the 22-26 age group that is it chore. Like Liverpool in 2018. Plus city are cheats stale football no fan base boring fuckers. With a big donkey robot upfront.

I still have faith in liverpool. But have to get the summer transfers right and I have a good feeling about Arne

City will renew their sponsorship deal for unlimited funds again and get the next KDB walker silva etc. In a normal era we should be coming into our peak success now, but against these cheats nothing is normal.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9672 on: May 25, 2024, 05:17:04 pm »
For all the money spent, Arteta has won less in 5 years, than Seven Hag in 2 years ...

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #9673 on: May 25, 2024, 05:42:01 pm »
Three trophy winners this season. Arsenal were not one of them.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9674 on: May 25, 2024, 05:45:23 pm »
Three trophy winners this season. Arsenal were not one of them.
again

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9675 on: May 25, 2024, 05:48:35 pm »
For all the money spent, Arteta has won less in 5 years, than Seven Hag in 2 years ...

In the time Ten hag has been here hes won more than Klopp.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9676 on: May 25, 2024, 05:49:07 pm »
Luckily for Arsenal they will improve next season while the other 19 teams will go backwards.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9677 on: May 25, 2024, 05:51:25 pm »
Can we change North Bank's name to BigBrainTenHag?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9678 on: May 25, 2024, 05:52:26 pm »
Luckily for Arsenal they will improve next season while the other 19 teams will go backwards.

Hopefully someone will step up so its not just us against the cheats for the 3rd year running. The last 2 years has been embarrassing for everyone else.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9679 on: May 25, 2024, 05:54:50 pm »
City will renew their sponsorship deal for unlimited funds again and get the next KDB walker silva etc. In a normal era we should be coming into our peak success now, but against these cheats nothing is normal.

Remind me again who Arsenal's main sponsors are. For me, it is a toss-up which club has received the most dodgy Middle Eastern oil revenue.

How much money do you think Arsenal have received from state-owned airline Emirates?

Arsenal are the original sports washers.
"Ohhh-kayyy"