Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 403031 times)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #9600 on: May 22, 2024, 10:11:18 pm »
Call me crazy, but I think it would probably have been a lot better for you to play the game to win it? I mean with all that being two points from actually winning the league stuff there at the end no? You took a calculated gamble that it would be enough. Only problem...your calculator showed a different result from all the other calculators in the world... Cannot believe that you STILL think that was a good bet! It wouldn't even have made a difference in the end if you had lost ffs!

If we lost, the title challenge was over that day. We went to City at a similar stage last season, we tried to press them. high, and we got thumped 4-1. We got a result against City in the Community Shield and beat them at home in the league by staying compact, being competitive in duals, not allowing them space in behind for the big cyborg to run into, and getting a bit of luck with deflected strikes, but staying in the game earned us that bit of luck.

Like I say, we had 2 of the better chances in the 2nd half. We didn't have the luck are precision needed to finish them.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9601 on: May 22, 2024, 10:14:34 pm »
Better off leaving it, mate. I've never seen anything like the delusions on here from these fellas. Anyone comes up with anything that could be a negative, a possible negative or a worry at all and they're all on in their floods with every excuse in the book about how nothing negative could ever happen to Arsenal or Arteta. And yet here they are, a lockdown FA Cup in 2020 to show for being the best team ever ever ever.

Na mate, not having that. You and others have 1 particular view, and I respect that. However, there's been a good few on here and plenty other non Arsenal fans say that the approach wasn't wrong, perhaps the execution cohk dbe better. So just because there's certain views on here, doesn't mean it's universal.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9602 on: May 22, 2024, 10:23:01 pm »
Na mate, not having that. You and others have 1 particular view, and I respect that. However, there's been a good few on here and plenty other non Arsenal fans say that the approach wasn't wrong, perhaps the execution cohk dbe better. So just because there's certain views on here, doesn't mean it's universal.

Fair enough, don't have it. But we're the only side to have beaten Pep. We did so because we had enough of as lead that when we went to the Etihad the result didn't matter, in fact we'd already won the league.

Because of that experience we all watched the game in question, with a severely depleted City team and your team blowing teams away and over celebrating every week because of it, expecting you to dismatle City. Instead you just tried to not lose. It has cost you the title. Just like we all said it would.

Have that.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9603 on: May 22, 2024, 10:25:54 pm »
Fair enough, don't have it. But we're the only side to have beaten Pep. We did so because we had enough of as lead that when we went to the Etihad the result didn't matter, in fact we'd already won the league.

Because of that experience we all watched the game in question, with a severely depleted City team and your team blowing teams away and over celebrating every week because of it, expecting you to dismatle City. Instead you just tried to not lose. It has cost you the title. Just like we all said it would.

Have that.

I know we probably needed to beat them. We're arguing about the best way to do that though. Your way hasn't worked in the past. It didn't work for us last season. It didn't work for Madrid last season and even they changed tact.

Answer me 1 thing, I keep reading it, how was the City team severely depleted?!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 10:30:08 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9604 on: May 22, 2024, 10:32:15 pm »
I know we probably needed to beat them. We're arguing about the best way to do that though. Your way hasn't worked it seems.

That's the third time you've edited the post. Would you like another?

Your lot were celebrating and taking pictures for months and didn't have the balls to go for it when you had the chance and lost it again. "Our way" won us every single trophy there is to win, "your" way? Yeah.

Answer me this one, did you play anybody's first 11 this season? Luckiest team in the league. But, there'll be 5 more of you along in a minute to tell us all how next year ye'll be even better with more luck and less goals conceded and more goals scored and Odegard will have a new camera lense and another 100 million pound midfielder and this time another 100 million pound striker but you also don't need a new striker because Havertz...

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9605 on: May 22, 2024, 10:35:13 pm »
I know we probably needed to beat them. We're arguing about the best way to do that though. Your way hasn't worked in the past. It didn't work for us last season. It didn't work for Madrid last season and even they changed tact.

Just looked at their line up. Midfield and attack had all their big guns. They were missing Ederson, Walker and Stones though - three stalwarts in their recent success. That definitely created an impression they could be got at, especially without Walker’s recovery pace.

We now know Ortega is very decent as a back up and Stones has ended up replaced by all the other interchangeable robot defenders but I think if we had gone into that game knowing those three were out we’d be fancying our chances to score a couple, while still being worried about what they could do at the other end.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #9606 on: May 22, 2024, 10:38:55 pm »
I don't think pep relaxes because there's no klopp to fear. They started slowly this season due to injuries and slight tweaks. He probably guessed our midfield would take time to gel.

Interesting point raised about the free kick advantage seeming to have been lost already.
Has anyone noticed if they are hitting the deck less? If refs aren't buying it, if teams are better at defending the kicks?

I personally have no problem with them using a playbook. As long as they aren't injuring players it's not really much different to pushing, shoving and a bit of shirt pulling.
When they're won a big one, then they can ask questions about the purity of their football.

It wasnt so long ago our best player bit opponents.

"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline StigenKeegan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9607 on: May 22, 2024, 10:47:06 pm »
Better off leaving it, mate. I've never seen anything like the delusions on here from these fellas. Anyone comes up with anything that could be a negative, a possible negative or a worry at all and they're all on in their floods with every excuse in the book about how nothing negative could ever happen to Arsenal or Arteta. And yet here they are, a lockdown FA Cup in 2020 to show for being the best team ever ever ever.

I know you're right! But I don't know... maybe I'm not a sensible lad, maybe I just can't help myself...or maybe it's kinda fun... ;D

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9608 on: May 22, 2024, 10:47:38 pm »
That's the third time you've edited the post. Would you like another?

Your lot were celebrating and taking pictures for months and didn't have the balls to go for it when you had the chance and lost it again. "Our way" won us every single trophy there is to win, "your" way? Yeah.

Answer me this one, did you play anybody's first 11 this season? Luckiest team in the league. But, there'll be 5 more of you along in a minute to tell us all how next year ye'll be even better with more luck and less goals conceded and more goals scored and Odegard will have a new camera lense and another 100 million pound midfielder and this time another 100 million pound striker but you also don't need a new striker because Havertz...

Feck me, should I apologise for editing a post to say what I want to say in a better way?

Yeah, your way. With all those trophy wins you didn't beat City away in the league. That's the game we're talking about specifically. That's the 1 off game where we apparently lost the league.

Also Tony, I'm my own person, with my own opinions, I don't always agree with what the others say. Do I think Liverpool fans on here all have the same views and opinions?

Offline BigBrainArteta

• Main Stander
« Reply #9609 on: May 23, 2024, 12:24:41 am »
Arteta will be gone by Christmas.

Which Christmas, the Christmas coming or last Christmas?

Offline BigBrainArteta

• Main Stander
« Reply #9610 on: May 23, 2024, 12:42:48 am »
I find it amusing this Arsenal team is being told 'this is it' when the manager is 42. Saka is 22, Martinelli 22, Saliba 22, White 26, Gabriel 26, Odegaard 25, Rice 25, Haavertz 24. All other teams can wait for their players to enter peak ages. But apparently for Arsenal, were capped. 89 points with a 'junior team'.

Arteta was talking around 100 points next season. The new controlled style of play that netted 49 points form 54 is fully engrained. There will be no teething issue at the beginning of last season. Timber will solve a lot of issues at left back. Plus we will invest again after shedding some deadwood.

This 'Arsenal will drop off' talk is pure delusion. Its also what we were told last season.

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9611 on: May 23, 2024, 01:09:27 am »
Sorry, Arteta reckons they will get 100 points next season? Is that how that should read?

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9612 on: May 23, 2024, 04:07:58 am »
I find it amusing this Arsenal team is being told 'this is it' when the manager is 42. Saka is 22, Martinelli 22, Saliba 22, White 26, Gabriel 26, Odegaard 25, Rice 25, Haavertz 24. All other teams can wait for their players to enter peak ages. But apparently for Arsenal, were capped. 89 points with a 'junior team'.

Arteta was talking around 100 points next season. The new controlled style of play that netted 49 points form 54 is fully engrained. There will be no teething issue at the beginning of last season. Timber will solve a lot of issues at left back. Plus we will invest again after shedding some deadwood.

This 'Arsenal will drop off' talk is pure delusion. Its also what we were told last season.

Whose burner account is this? :lmao
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9613 on: May 23, 2024, 04:22:32 am »
Sorry, Arteta reckons they will get 100 points next season? Is that how that should read?

Quotes from the legoheaded timewasting dickhead:

“We’ll win [the league], when, I don’t know. But if we keep knocking and being that close, in the end it will happen.”

Asked if it might take 100 points to win the title, Arteta admitted: “Yeah. But I was there when we did 100 points (in 2017-18) so I know what it takes. I know what happened and this is the level."

The last quote is uttelry hilarious. ‘I was there’. Yes, working for the cheating scum that you are now trying to beat.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #9614 on: May 23, 2024, 06:21:08 am »
I really hate to break this to you...but as long as that bald c*nt is there you or anyone else is not winning the league. Win 100 pts? They'll win 101.

They had a down year in the first part of the season , didn't beat yous or us but still managed to win last 8 or 9 games like it's the easiest thing in the world.

It's gonna suck until he's gone.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9615 on: May 23, 2024, 06:44:32 am »
It’s gonna be some season for the gunners next season. They’re going to get 100 points and concede zero goals! Everyone else should just give up now!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9616 on: May 23, 2024, 06:56:33 am »
The ‘engrained system’in the second half of the system was probably helped by being out of both cups early and not having too many European games. There’s 8 CL group game this side of Christmas remember. Might that have an impact on form? I know it’s impossible to think how Arsenal won’t get close to 100 points and break the record for fewest goals conceded but who knows.

I’m not saying Arsenal will fall away. I think you’ll challenge again. As it stands you’re favourites for 2nd again. But if I was spread betting I say you’ll be under the 89 points you got this season.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9617 on: May 23, 2024, 07:23:11 am »

See when I say we don't always necessarily think the same. The certainty and conviction in this post is a good example of it (no offence BBA).

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9618 on: May 23, 2024, 07:28:18 am »
See when I say we don't always necessarily think the same. The certainty and conviction in this post is a good example of it (no offence BBA).
It’s ok, we all know they are just a school kid  troll.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9619 on: May 23, 2024, 07:36:19 am »

it's more from a statistical, probability stand point. It's easier to get less points than you did this season.

It's also probably more likely you have more injuries too. You can acknowledge reality without it being a dig at Arsenal. They would have to keep exceptionally high levels to surpass this season. We know as we've done it, you have not

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #9620 on: May 23, 2024, 08:03:10 am »
City and Arsenal are the top two teams in the country (the league table never lies). We're the third best team in the country and the question is can we kick on with all upheaval with backroom staff? I think just keeping our current players fit gives us a great chance of closing the gap. For me, our season can go either way. There are too many unknowns to know which way it will go. City and Arsenal have settled sides and that will help them.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9621 on: May 23, 2024, 08:25:17 am »
I could understand the confidence, in 19/20 season we ended up with 56 points, west ham finished above us. The trajectory has been upwards all the time since.

I expect us to go up another level next season and break 90 points.

Getting over 90 points might not be enough to win the league, but its been a couple of decades since opposition fans celebrated Arsenal finishing second. Fair to say we are back.

One last hurdle to climb, finishing above the cheats, but personally i cant wait to get going again.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9622 on: May 23, 2024, 08:26:45 am »
City and Arsenal are the top two teams in the country (the league table never lies). We're the third best team in the country and the question is can we kick on with all upheaval with backroom staff? I think just keeping our current players fit gives us a great chance of closing the gap. For me, our season can go either way. There are too many unknowns to know which way it will go. City and Arsenal have settled sides and that will help them.

Fair assessment.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9623 on: May 23, 2024, 08:32:28 am »

Nah, the shit you write is pure delusion. Impressive that after yet another season of winning absolutely fuck all with another horrendous flop in Europe that you've somehow become even more arrogant though.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9624 on: May 23, 2024, 08:34:52 am »

;D  ;D

There's more chance of us having a 90+ point season next season than Arsenal getting 100 points (and I'm not betting on that, either).

I think Arsenal would be doing extremely well to get 94-95 points. I still think there is more chance Arsenal get 89 points or less again than there is of getting 93+.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9625 on: May 23, 2024, 08:42:35 am »
Every single thing went right for Arsenal this season. Everything. It is extremely unlikely that will happen again.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #9626 on: May 23, 2024, 09:14:55 am »
Arsenal had great fortune with regard to injuries this season. Next season will determine whether it was good luck or good planning. We've had catastrophic injuries in 3 of the last 5 seasons. At this point, that goes beyond bad luck.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #9627 on: May 23, 2024, 09:17:57 am »
Every single thing went right for Arsenal this season. Everything. It is extremely unlikely that will happen again.

5 years ago I would've accepted your assessment mate.

But after see it happen to us, the pain and the agony of those 2 seasons, makes me think it will happen more often than not.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9628 on: May 23, 2024, 09:26:08 am »
Arsenal had great fortune with regard to injuries this season. Next season will determine whether it was good luck or good planning. We've had catastrophic injuries in 3 of the last 5 seasons. At this point, that goes beyond bad luck.

They not only had luck with injuries they had luck the other way. Felt like every team they faced had a little injury crisis.

I doubt they get the same luck again. So they will have to be better than they were this season.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9629 on: May 23, 2024, 09:56:28 am »
The ‘engrained system’in the second half of the system was probably helped by being out of both cups early and not having too many European games. There’s 8 CL group game this side of Christmas remember. Might that have an impact on form? I know it’s impossible to think how Arsenal won’t get close to 100 points and break the record for fewest goals conceded but who knows.

I’m not saying Arsenal will fall away. I think you’ll challenge again. As it stands you’re favourites for 2nd again. But if I was spread betting I say you’ll be under the 89 points you got this season.

The last 2 group games are midweeks in January. It's a ridiculous schedule.
It's likely one of the CL teams will be in the League cup semi (I know it didn't happen this year), it's still 2 legs, with no winter break -  I think it makes it up to 9 games in Jan, playing every midweek. New years day is a Weds, so I am assuming a game there and 4 other cup midweeks.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9630 on: May 23, 2024, 10:11:19 am »
I could understand the confidence, in 19/20 season we ended up with 56 points, west ham finished above us. The trajectory has been upwards all the time since.

I expect us to go up another level next season and break 90 points.

Getting over 90 points might not be enough to win the league, but its been a couple of decades since opposition fans celebrated Arsenal finishing second. Fair to say we are back.

One last hurdle to climb, finishing above the cheats, but personally i cant wait to get going again.

Listen, I see both sides. We've just had an 89 point season, and yet there seems like obvious areas we could improve the team, and 1 of them in Timber is already ours.

But at the same time, others make valid points. Improvement isn't always linear, things might affect us more such as injuries etc, and just the simple fact it's really hard to maintain title challenging form over 3 seasons.

What I think Arteta has done is raised the floor of the team probably to an 80 point team. After that, your looking for things to go your way, transfers to be right and settle well, luck with injuries, perhaps rivals to struggle etc.

One thing I do know though, is no-one on here likes to hear is a rival fan telling everyone how good their team WILL be. Most tend to be open to discussing how you might improve, but confidence like BBA's will just get you shot down.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9631 on: May 23, 2024, 10:15:49 am »
They’ll challenge again but I don’t think next season will be much better points-wise. You’ll have more games and will be coming off the back of the euros and two seasons where everything was given and nothing was won.

That being said, with City likely the other contender, a points deduction could hand you the title without having to get crazy points.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 10:18:41 am by thejbs »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9632 on: May 23, 2024, 10:24:31 am »
Listen, I see both sides. We've just had an 89 point season, and yet there seems like obvious areas we could improve the team, and 1 of them in Timber is already ours.

But at the same time, others make valid points. Improvement isn't always linear, things might affect us more such as injuries etc, and just the simple fact it's really hard to maintain title challenging form over 3 seasons.

What I think Arteta has done is raised the floor of the team probably to an 80 point team. After that, your looking for things to go your way, transfers to be right and settle well, luck with injuries, perhaps rivals to struggle etc.

One thing I do know though, is no-one on here likes to hear is a rival fan telling everyone how good their team WILL be. Most tend to be open to discussing how you might improve, but confidence like BBA's will just get you shot down.

Exactly. We talk from experience, 18/19 97pts CL Winners, 19/20 99pts PL winners, 20/21 69 pts losing as many games as we'd done in the previous 3 seasons. We had an horrendous run where all our CB's got long term injuries, your best players are only a Pickford or Richarlison challenge away from a season out.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9633 on: May 23, 2024, 10:46:00 am »
Exactly. We talk from experience, 18/19 97pts CL Winners, 19/20 99pts PL winners, 20/21 69 pts losing as many games as we'd done in the previous 3 seasons. We had an horrendous run where all our CB's got long term injuries, your best players are only a Pickford or Richarlison challenge away from a season out.

We seen a few of those type of challenges go unpunished ourselves the last few weeks of the season, lucky there wasn't a serious injury occurred then.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #9634 on: May 23, 2024, 11:00:44 am »
Imagine going so close to overtaking the cheats 2 seasons on the run and having to try and outdo them again next season?

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #9635 on: May 23, 2024, 11:17:04 am »

You guys seem to be putting a lot of faith into Timber when he's coming back from an ACL injury when we know that the vast majority of players don't reach their best for up to a year and a half after returning from such an injury

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9636 on: May 23, 2024, 11:27:39 am »
You guys seem to be putting a lot of faith into Timber when he's coming back from an ACL injury when we know that the vast majority of players don't reach their best for up to a year and a half after returning from such an injury

I know, his brief cameos for the U21 and even at the weekend there looked promising, but I know it will take him a while to get back up to speed

I don't think it was ever really revealed the extent of the damage, but the guy seems a bit of a freak in terms of the workload he was able to do quite early on in his rehab.

I like the fact he's not been rushed back for the Dutch squad for the Euros mind you. Means he will get a full pre season and can build up maximum amount of game time in that.

I do get your point though, fitness and form will need managed.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 11:36:56 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #9637 on: May 23, 2024, 11:43:06 am »
I thought a lot went right for them the season before too.  They got off to a great start, didn't play any of the top 6 for weeks and again had luck with injuries both in terms of themselves and other teams.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #9638 on: May 23, 2024, 12:06:11 pm »
I know, his brief cameos for the U21 and even at the weekend there looked promising, but I know it will take him a while to get back up to speed

I don't think it was ever really revealed the extent of the damage, but the guy seems a bit of a freak in terms of the workload he was able to do quite early on in his rehab.

I like the fact he's not been rushed back for the Dutch squad for the Euros mind you. Means he will get a full pre season and can build up maximum amount of game time in that.

I do get your point though, fitness and form will need managed.

He had surgery so he was back incredibly early for it, I remember Virgil was aiming to come back for the Euros until Jonny Otto returned around the same time he would have and reinjured himself so he then ruled himself out and focused on rehab. The next season he had some good matches but was way way below his usual standards and you could argue that he's only just got back to being himself in the season just gone. It'll be incredible tough for Timber to show consistent performances next season I think.

Offline BigBrainArteta

• Main Stander
« Reply #9639 on: May 23, 2024, 12:09:13 pm »
Ive long said the cycle is kind to us. Arsenal do not have any key players getting to the age where the powers wane, nor will we face any big name exists the summer. Partey and maybe Smith-Rowe is probably the biggest names who might leave the club, in additional to Ramsdale.

I look at Liverpool I see massive change given the managerial change. Salah will be 32 into the new season, VVD will be 33. Both are really pushing it and getting to the Saudi/MLS age. Same goes De Bruyne will be 33 next season, Kyle Walker will be 34, and decent probability Bernardo Silva leaves this year.

There comes a time when the axis turns. Cycles exit their peak and start a come down, whole other cycles commence their peak. Ive always said Arsenal need to play the long game, which even goes beyond 2025 in a world in which Pep retires. There will be dividends in backing Arteta. Contrast to these Arsenal 'fans' who want to nosebleed a Conte or Tuchel appointment.

Arteta will win the Premier League at Arsenal. I know it