Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 389588 times)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #8720 on: May 14, 2024, 11:38:26 pm »
It's mental when you think about

Won the league by 11mm
I seem to be the only person who doesn’t think it’s a given that wins us the league. It was the first half, there’s no telling how either team would have reacted to it.

The handball that wasn’t given in the dying moments against Everton in 2022? That’s the one I think about more.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #8721 on: May 14, 2024, 11:38:41 pm »
But a lot of things really went their way this season, such as having virtually no injuries or playing teams that had half their sides out due to injuries. If they lose someone like Saliba or Odegaard for an extended period of time it'll hit them hard.
This is true but they’ve got the advantage of being able to make only 2 or 3 signings. Timber coming back too. If they get that bit right I think they might kick on.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #8722 on: May 14, 2024, 11:39:14 pm »
I seem to be the only person who doesn’t think it’s a given that wins us the league. It was the first half, there’s no telling how either team would have reacted to it.

The handball that wasn’t given in the dying moments against Everton in 2022? That’s the one I think about more.
They’d have missed the pen anyway.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #8723 on: May 14, 2024, 11:40:13 pm »
They’d have missed the pen anyway.
Haha, fair point.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8724 on: May 14, 2024, 11:42:11 pm »

That was the only game we lost. That goes in and we finish them on the counter.

If we'd avoided defeat, we'd have definitely gone on to win it because it was a do-or-die game for them psychologically. The next season showed how big the H2H is because we beat them in October? and they were done.

Those H2Hs are really important but we've just not won enough of those kind of games.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 11:44:23 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8725 on: May 14, 2024, 11:42:38 pm »
But a lot of things really went their way this season, such as having virtually no injuries or playing teams that had half their sides out due to injuries. If they lose someone like Saliba or Odegaard for an extended period of time it'll hit them hard.
Last season's first choice striker, left back and holding midfielder - all had an injury ridden season. The only difference is that Saliba wasn't injured in the run in and Tomiyasu showed up for a few games as well. That's all.

Not to mention that Kiwior also did a good job.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #8726 on: May 15, 2024, 12:07:01 am »
Leicester only losing 3 all season is incredible. We beat them on Boxing Day and I think Arsenal did the double over them. No other defeats.

Leicester must have had a lot of draws as they won the title with only 81 points. Incredible achievement for them but it was a really poor league that year.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8727 on: May 15, 2024, 12:08:29 am »
Leicester must have had a lot of draws as they won the title with only 81 points. Incredible achievement for them but it was a really poor league that year.

12 draws.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #8728 on: May 15, 2024, 12:09:32 am »
12 draws.

There you go. Imagine drawing 12 times and winning the league now. Impossible.

Offline BigBrainArteta

• Main Stander
« Reply #8729 on: May 15, 2024, 12:19:45 am »
They've had incredible luck with officiating, injuries and the health and form of the opposition. It was a perfect storm for them. But such luck is unsustainable. Other teams will improve in the summer. Wouldn't surprise me if the PL quietly clamps down on Arsenal's set-piece antics over the summer too. More wins and goals than The Invicibles this season and they will likely leave the season empty handed

Nothing about luck has us in our current position. We are the second-best team in the league. As for our set piece antics, whats that, a good in swinging delivery with our players attacking the ball in the air. Football is a contact sport.

Offline BigBrainArteta

• Main Stander
« Reply #8730 on: May 15, 2024, 12:26:55 am »
You mean a usual amount of injuries. It's absolutely bizarre how lucky they've been this season. I can't ever remember the likes of it to be honest.

Thats because our football is controlled. Its less physically demanding and straining than the style of football Klopp prefers. If hard running, extreme pressing and end to end football is your thing, its taxing physically.

However Arteta does not like end-to-end football, we have patterns of play that revolve around keeping the ball for long periods and thus controlling the game; yes we press, however we also have a rest defence were we get 11 men behind the ball. By design were not burning extreme amounts of energy every game, nor are our players forced to sprint for large periods of the match.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8731 on: May 15, 2024, 01:05:57 am »
We ll be even better next season, and not have to rely on useless spurs and fulham.

First half of this season was largely experimental. Started the season with Gabriel benched and Partey at right back, Havertz in midfield , Jesus and nketiah upfront, Timber injured for the season and Rice was leaving Moyes ball behind. 40 points from first 18 games( enough for  cl and 3rd place over a season) . 49 points from next 18 (if we win Sunday, over a season wins the title). Its a different team now to the first half of the season, and we can still improve on 2/3 starters. Big summer again and next season we might get over the line.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 01:11:52 am by The North Bank »

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #8732 on: May 15, 2024, 01:06:31 am »
They also have 5 defeats...no team should win this league with that many defeats imo.

Fair play to them for becoming a really competitive team but on the other hand this was a bit of a down year for City. Likelihood is they'll be back in the high 90s again. Let's see if Arsenal can make another step forward in their development to match that.

Yeah, I love all this talk about how much room Arsenal has to improve and that next year's going to be the year... as if City are just going to stay stagnant. They had one of their 'worst' seasons under Guardiola and still chased down and passed what is a pretty brilliant Arsenal squad. But yeah, next year will be different.  ::)
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8733 on: May 15, 2024, 04:47:29 am »
That was the only game we lost. That goes in and we finish them on the counter.

If we'd avoided defeat, we'd have definitely gone on to win it because it was a do-or-die game for them psychologically. The next season showed how big the H2H is because we beat them in October? and they were done.

Those H2Hs are really important but we've just not won enough of those kind of games.

If we'd won that game we'd have finished unbeaten and on 100 points
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8734 on: May 15, 2024, 05:31:59 am »
5 seasons under Arteta, one of the biggest net spenders in the league over that period, and still yet to breach  the 90 point barrier. You’d think it should’ve happened this year given how many other of the top 6 or so are in transition, but even with the insane injury record Arsenal haven’t managed it.

They might yet win the league, but looking like another fruitless season for Arsenal. Presume it will be another big spend this summer for Arsenal, but will start to look a bit poor if they go without a major trophy yet again after that.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8735 on: May 15, 2024, 06:16:11 am »
5 seasons under Arteta, one of the biggest net spenders in the league over that period, and still yet to breach  the 90 point barrier. You’d think it should’ve happened this year given how many other of the top 6 or so are in transition, but even with the insane injury record Arsenal haven’t managed it.

They might yet win the league, but looking like another fruitless season for Arsenal. Presume it will be another big spend this summer for Arsenal, but will start to look a bit poor if they go without a major trophy yet again after that.
Net spend is a function of existing assets (if you sell). Arteta's per player spend is similar to Klopp's.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8736 on: May 15, 2024, 06:26:09 am »

When he joined we were far worse than man utd are now, the job hes done is incredible. Unfortunately trophies are in short supply when there is one team cheating their way to clean up every season.
Essentially we have now replaced Liverpool as the cheats main challengers and we are being robbed the same way you were.
Klopp won one league title in 8 years because he was cheated out of many more.
The one person liverpool didnt question when you missed out on titles is klopp, because you wouldn’t be challenging without him, ditto Arteta.
Confident we ll get over the line in the next couple of seasons, like Liverpool did. But city will keep sweeping up the trophies unfortunately.

On the transition thing, that was the same last season, and next season. Every time a team fails, its in transition.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 06:31:45 am by The North Bank »

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8737 on: May 15, 2024, 06:29:40 am »
We all love sportswashers when we sell players to them to fix our net spend. ;)

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #8738 on: May 15, 2024, 06:42:30 am »

Aaah, is the city result hurting?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #8739 on: May 15, 2024, 06:47:00 am »
I think Arsenal have been the best team this season and if they don't win it Sunday probably will next year.

If they do win the 4 in a row I can't see City and Pep having the same hunger next year, especially with Klopp gone. Plus they could be charged at any point. On the other hand maybe they spend a fortune and blitz it again but the aren't the side they were. They seem to play shit and win now a lot because Haaland will tap one in. Pre-Haaland they'd dominate every game

This would be Arsenal's 18/19. We blew them out the water the next season.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 06:51:50 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8740 on: May 15, 2024, 06:49:06 am »
I'd be a bit worried as an Arsenal fan about Saka and Rice going to the Euros after playing so many minutes. I'm not sure there's many others who've played a smich who are guaranteed starters? And I don't really agree that they play that less of an intense game for that not to matter. They both get though a huge amount of defensive work as does the team in general.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8741 on: May 15, 2024, 07:02:53 am »
I'd be a bit worried as an Arsenal fan about Saka and Rice going to the Euros after playing so many minutes. I'm not sure there's many others who've played a smich who are guaranteed starters? And I don't really agree that they play that less of an intense game for that not to matter. They both get though a huge amount of defensive work as does the team in general.
I thought Saka was out for 6 months? He looked seriously injured in last game, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that…

Offline BigBrainArteta

• Main Stander
« Reply #8742 on: May 15, 2024, 07:04:10 am »
When he joined we were far worse than man utd are now, the job hes done is incredible. Unfortunately trophies are in short supply when there is one team cheating their way to clean up every season.
Essentially we have now replaced Liverpool as the cheats main challengers and we are being robbed the same way you were.
Klopp won one league title in 8 years because he was cheated out of many more.
The one person liverpool didnt question when you missed out on titles is klopp, because you wouldn’t be challenging without him, ditto Arteta.
Confident we ll get over the line in the next couple of seasons, like Liverpool did. But city will keep sweeping up the trophies unfortunately.

On the transition thing, that was the same last season, and next season. Every time a team fails, its in transition.

Agreed. Dont be gaslighted by fans trying to tell us Arteta hasn't done a good job. He has literally changed the culture and took us form banter to competitive.

I look forward the annual 'Arsenal need to be careful next year, because such and such will improve'.

If teams improved every year, then football would in essence grow in quality every year, which just isnt the case. There also needs to be a catalyst for improvement, or regression, you cant just say it as a cliche.

And when you look at the improvement expected from Chelsea, Newcastle, United ect, its only because they have been dogshit that its might be harder for them to be worse than last season.

Think it will be us and City again next year. Although hopefully the 115 kick into action. Would enjoy a one horse race

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8743 on: May 15, 2024, 07:06:16 am »
I think Arsenal have been the best team this season and if they don't win it Sunday probably will next year.

If they do win the 4 in a row I can't see City and Pep having the same hunger next year, especially with Klopp gone. Plus they could be charged at any point. On the other hand maybe they spend a fortune and blitz it again but the aren't the side they were. They seem to play shit and win now a lot because Haaland will tap one in. Pre-Haaland they'd dominate every game

This would be Arsenal's 18/19. We blew them out the water the next season.

It will be interesting to see if us going through a transition as a club has any bearing on city

But 2017-20 was an anomaly of two teams going at nearly 100 points for 2 or 3 seasons. It's reverted back to a 90 point title and to be in the mic you need to be a side that is capable of a couple of 10-12 match winning runs through the season and only really have one bad patch as long as it's not too damaging. Arsenal have shown they're capable of that so would expect them to do it again next year.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8744 on: May 15, 2024, 07:06:26 am »
Agreed. Dont be gaslighted by fans trying to tell us Arteta hasn't done a good job. He has literally changed the culture and took us form banter to competitive.

I look forward the annual 'Arsenal need to be careful next year, because such and such will improve'.

If teams improved every year, then football would in essence grow in quality every year, which just isnt the case. There also needs to be a catalyst for improvement, or regression, you cant just say it as a cliche.

And when you look at the improvement expected from Chelsea, Newcastle, United ect, its only because they have been dogshit that its might be harder for them to be worse than last season.

Think it will be us and City again next year. Although hopefully the 115 kick into action. Would enjoy a one horse race
What has he won?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8745 on: May 15, 2024, 07:10:56 am »
I tend to think the only way something will change is by City winning trophies for fun, again and again. Show this up for the farce it is.

As opposed to what they’re doing now?!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #8746 on: May 15, 2024, 07:15:59 am »
Did Son miss on purpose?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8747 on: May 15, 2024, 07:31:54 am »
Comparing lego head to Klopp  ;D

Fuck me  what an arrogant bunch
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8748 on: May 15, 2024, 07:36:31 am »
"Anyone but the scousers" for so long, but karma is a bitch I guess. Sign some more City or Chelsea rejects and try again next year.  :wave
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #8749 on: May 15, 2024, 07:38:47 am »

What is the reference here?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8750 on: May 15, 2024, 07:43:18 am »
If Arsenal will their final league game (and they should because Everton are fucking shit) their run-in form would be

Played 19
Won 17
Draw 1
Lost 1

and still likely to lose the league. That is what you are up against if you want to dethrone Pep's City.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8751 on: May 15, 2024, 07:48:10 am »
Enjoyed watching Arsenal play. City on the other hand, put me to sleep.

Pep can talk all he wants about his net spend now, it’s what they’ve done over the years he should be questioned about.

Lastnight brought back that Iniacho moment, which I 100% believe he purposely missed, and our only defeat in the season where I think Kompany should have gone off for fouling Salah and then that goal line clearance.

Son the fucker, why couldn’t he have missed in 22

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8752 on: May 15, 2024, 07:56:30 am »
Enjoyed watching Arsenal play. City on the other hand, put me to sleep.

Pep can talk all he wants about his net spend now, it’s what they’ve done over the years he should be questioned about.

Lastnight brought back that Iniacho moment, which I 100% believe he purposely missed, and our only defeat in the season where I think Kompany should have gone off for fouling Salah and then that goal line clearance.

Son the fucker, why couldn’t he have missed in 22

If it were us last night chasing the league, 100% Son slots that shot.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #8753 on: May 15, 2024, 08:03:27 am »
If it were us last night chasing the league, 100% Son slots that shot.

We won the CL that year and the PL the following year.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8754 on: May 15, 2024, 08:05:06 am »
I don't think any professional player would miss a shot intentionally. Footballers get to where they are by being competitors.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8755 on: May 15, 2024, 08:10:16 am »

How will it look poor? They've been beaten by cheats two years in a row. Without the cheats, they win two titles, and probably have more energy and confidence for other trophies too, just as it was with us. We weren't just denied league titles, the energy we spent trying to keep up with the cheats almost certainly affected our performances in late-season CL games.

I don't particularly "like" Arsenal, but they are a proper football club, with actual fans, with a respectable history of winning things. I don't want to see anyone cheated by Abu Dhabi, whether it's us or them or anyone else.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8756 on: May 15, 2024, 08:28:13 am »
Don't know about that. I think you should look forward to the annual "spend a ton of money but won nothing".
Yes. Arsenal are the only team that are guaranteed to improve next year
It was glorious, I can say from experience. Of course we were reigning European Champions at the time.

It's this kind of arrogance that turns people off Arsenal. You're no different than Keegan's Newcastle at this point.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #8757 on: May 15, 2024, 08:32:37 am »
Arsenal fans really shouldn't think it's a 'given' that they'll challenge again next season. Yes, they are an excellent side with consecutive 80+ point campaigns and a near 90-point one. Also, their football is indeed less intense than ours under Klopp, which reduces the risk of burnout.

However, don't underestimate the mental side of things. They have been close twice now and have no trophies to show for it. They produced a near-legendary second half of the season only to lose out by a point to a side that's apparently not as good as before yet still gets 90+ and the title. We have to assume that the cheats will again be 90+ points next season.

Arsenal have only hit that mark once? in their history in a 38 game season and that's because it is a really hard target! Many things have to go in a team's favour to get there. Next season, Arsenal may strengthen but there's no guarantee that whoever they buy will play well or be a good fit. There's no guarantee they won't get injuries to key players. There's no guarantee that key players will continue to play to a high standard for a whole season. Players are human and the likes of Rice and Saka could go through a bad patch which may prove costly.

Also, Arsenal's game of control comes with a trade off; they are reliant on scoring first. They aren't particularly good when conceding first, and that's something they need to improve on to win the league IMO. Tbf, they are very good at scoring first, and I think they only conceded first in 8 league games which is phenomenal. However, by my count, they only won 1 of those games and lost 5. (Correct me if I am wrong).

In a nutshell, a title challenge next year is not 'guaranteed' at all. It is more likely than not but hardly a sure thing.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8758 on: May 15, 2024, 08:40:48 am »
Please kick off and raise awareness of being cheated out of a title. I'm sick to death of clubs just passively allowing this very apparent cheating go on whilst it destroys all their legitimate hard work.

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8759 on: May 15, 2024, 08:59:25 am »
What is the reference here?

Arsenal have huge net spend, so apparently we’ve “fixed” ours by selling Players to Saudi. His point, however, ignores entirely that very minimal fees were paid for those players.