Author Topic: Anfield Road Extension  (Read 889409 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Anfield Road Extension - Construction work resumed on 12th September 2023.
« Reply #5480 on: February 14, 2024, 03:52:39 pm »
Used to hear stories alright of the Kop being closed 90 mins before kick off with thousands locked outside

Crowd used to be swaying everywhere.

I would have loved to stand on it just once.

My uncle did next to Bill Shankly one game

That game would be Coventry City, 1974-5 season (I think).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #5481 on: February 14, 2024, 03:57:15 pm »
That game would be Coventry City, 1974-5 season (I think).
god bless your knowledge

I dont have a clue to be honest
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5482 on: February 14, 2024, 04:01:23 pm »
The Founders Lounge is in the middle and doesn't extend the full width.

From the planning drawings it looks like there will be pitch views on the Kenny side of Brodies. The Main Stand side is blocked off by the kitchen and WCs for the upper visiting GA concourse.

Can I put my work hat on for a moment. That kitchen doesn't look big enough to feed the numbers that will be getting fed. I assume their is a full production kitchen and dishwash facility elsewhere and this is only a finishing kitchen for reheating and plating up the food? Sorry, but as a kitchen designer I need to know. :boxhead

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5483 on: February 14, 2024, 05:42:50 pm »
Used to hear stories alright of the Kop being closed 90 mins before kick off with thousands locked outside

Crowd used to be swaying everywhere.

I would have loved to stand on it just once.

My uncle did next to Bill Shankly one game
https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2513#:~:text=16%20months%20after%20leaving%20the,won%20four%20in%20a%20row.

You might see your uncle on here then.

No idea why Pat Jennings and Gerry Adams are in there too, mind.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5484 on: February 14, 2024, 08:06:46 pm »
https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2513#:~:text=16%20months%20after%20leaving%20the,won%20four%20in%20a%20row.

That is magnificent. I've never seen that photo before.

I wonder if Jurgen will do the same one day. It's a lot different with the seats now, but he shouldn't deprive himself of such an occasion.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5485 on: February 14, 2024, 08:16:53 pm »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5486 on: February 14, 2024, 09:14:47 pm »
Can I put my work hat on for a moment. That kitchen doesn't look big enough to feed the numbers that will be getting fed. I assume their is a full production kitchen and dishwash facility elsewhere and this is only a finishing kitchen for reheating and plating up the food? Sorry, but as a kitchen designer I need to know. :boxhead

As someone who uses hospitality every so often it will almost certainly be a finishing kitchen for the general hospitality (Brodie’s), but possibly a full kitchen for the lounge.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5487 on: February 14, 2024, 09:24:09 pm »

Thanks for posting that. I’d heard about it but those quotes are fantastic. We have had so many great managers over the years, some more successful in terms of trophies win, but it’s all founded on Shankly and his connection with the supporters.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #5488 on: February 14, 2024, 09:29:59 pm »

You're overthinking what is involved.
Saturday was (I'm told) a pie or a jacket spud in disposable cartons in Brodie's.

Any sight of the pitch is blocked. No drink in sight of the pitch

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #5489 on: February 14, 2024, 09:38:56 pm »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5490 on: February 15, 2024, 01:06:15 am »

Thanks for posting that. I’d heard about it but those quotes are fantastic. We have had so many great managers over the years, some more successful in terms of trophies win, but it’s all founded on Shankly and his connection with the supporters.
You're welcome. I remember it from the time, but can't recall if I was actually in the Kop that day or not. If I was, I didn't know Bill was in there at the time.

The man is a genuine legend. I get goosebumps just looking at pictures of him or hearing him talk on old videos. One of the lads we used to go to away games with years ago had interviews with Shanks on vinyl record. He put them on tape and we'd play them in the car on the way to games. They'd make the hairs on your neck stand up. There was something about the man that was incredible. He made you believe we could take on anyone, anywhere.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 01:11:15 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5491 on: February 15, 2024, 03:20:47 am »
You're overthinking what is involved.
Saturday was (I'm told) a pie or a jacket spud in disposable cartons in Brodie's.

Any sight of the pitch is blocked. No drink in sight of the pitch

I can’t imagine it’s much more than pre-plated (pre-boxed) and zapped in the microwave (bit like plane food)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5492 on: February 15, 2024, 03:38:02 am »
I doubt today will be the actual league attendance record even though it probably will go down as it. They must be made up to finally see it done for the matchday revenue.

It does look great though. Outside of getting Klopp it's the best thing the ownership have done, getting another 15000 seats in the same ground. All those times I remember seeing crap futuristic stadium designs in the Echo in the mid 2000s and getting depressed, I never believed we could improve Anfield like this. Wish it was far less corporate/hospitality minded but as far as I know there was never much organised pushback on it from the fan groups, it was very predictable that it'd be like this and now it'll be hard to get them to go back on it, shame really.

Sets the club up very nicely for the future though. I've loved every iteration of Anfield I've seen and regular 60 thousand crowds is the least of what we deserve. Each stand looks different yet they all seem to go together strangely well.

You have to accept that any stadium has some kind of financial driver. Multi-use at the Bernabeu, property development (and hospitality) at the Emirates, ditto at Spurs.

Corporate sales at Anfield have made more GA tickets possible. Successful organised push back would have meant staying at 45,000 at Anfield.

About 12% or 7,200 package seats of one type or another is about standard. Of which Anfield had about two and was one of the worst performers financially and one of the least providers of GA tickets. Keeping packages in the ARE is a master stroke.

The other thing the club has done well is finding more people to pay for the pricier packages. Despite all the bravado back in the day, there was no absolute guarantee of filling 60,000 at the prices needed to cover the cost.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:52:55 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5493 on: February 15, 2024, 04:08:10 am »
I posed this question but forgot to give an answer. The second highest official attendance at Anfield was in January 1934. A shade over 61,000 for the visit of....Tranmere Rovers. Clearly the greatest of the Merseyside derbies.

The stories in the Echo after the Liverpool v Wolves match by the way are of distressed supporters on the Kop and in the Annie Road who felt the thing had become dangerously over-full. One of the crush barriers at the Annie Road had badly buckled. This was just a few years after the Burnden Park disaster where 33 people had been killed on an overcrowded terrace. I think in response the club directors at Liverpool decided to reduce the capacity at Anfield - though there was no legal requirement to. People were also getting bigger of course - taller and wider - because they were Welfare State kids not Great Depression kids. The old calculations had been based on the British working class remaining malnourished and under-sized for ever.

I remember the Kop could also be hectic when it was under-full - too much room to bounce about. As for malnourishment, certainly people had a healthier body shape across all classes (war rationing or not). I’d also suggest the average match-goer has got older and probably naturally bigger.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5494 on: February 15, 2024, 08:51:26 am »

unfortunately I dont see him but great picture, thanks for sharing.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5495 on: February 15, 2024, 10:05:12 am »
unfortunately I dont see him but great picture, thanks for sharing.

:thumbup

I tried to find a wider shot with more faces on but that was the only photo I could find, unfortunately.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5496 on: February 15, 2024, 10:20:26 am »
:thumbup

I tried to find a wider shot with more faces on but that was the only photo I could find, unfortunately.
ah it is a great find

Sure with the Kop in those days anyone could end up anywhere

Mind you along with my uncle there are probably 200000 people who claim to have stood beside him that day

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5497 on: February 18, 2024, 08:26:31 pm »
It’s from the FA cup parade. You can see people getting their speck on the shop roof/kop wall

Dave Waller has just shared the 89 cup parade on Youtube

https://youtu.be/2-jdslOd2OY?si=gNU-F0Tc6FoRQekd&t=544

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5498 on: February 23, 2024, 05:33:39 pm »
there is a furniture store......

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5499 on: February 26, 2024, 03:14:33 pm »
Does anyone know when the wheelchair section will be open ?

There is just a red board up there at the moment
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5500 on: February 27, 2024, 10:55:19 am »
there is a furniture store......

You go in looking for sofa and come out with a lamp.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #5501 on: February 28, 2024, 05:04:54 pm »
Anyone had mapping of forever stones yet?
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline 30fiver

• Legacy Fan
  • Now it's time for Jurgens men
« Reply #5502 on: February 28, 2024, 05:11:33 pm »
Anyone had mapping of forever stones yet?

Nah nothing sent yet

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5503 on: February 28, 2024, 06:39:37 pm »
Does anyone know when the wheelchair section will be open ?

There is just a red board up there at the moment
You mean the guest team dug out???!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Interview with LFC’s commercial director Ben Latty

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1765312483319771418

Deals with blue chip brands Google Pixel, UPS, Peloton and Orion Innovation to bring in over £45m
🛑 Talks with Nike and AXA over lucrative extensions ongoing
🛑 Possible naming rights deal for Anfield Road
🛑 #LFC partnerships team now 80-strong

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four

Peloton is a blue chip brand?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Peloton is a blue chip brand?

No is the answer to that.

We'd better get used to Virg being handed a Pixel phone to video the players celebrations everytime we score a goal :puke
Jurgen YNWA

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four

We'd better get used to Virg being handed a Pixel phone to video the players celebrations everytime we score a goal :puke

And subs warming up on Pelotons, like the NFL exercise bike fad...

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And subs warming up on Pelotons, like the NFL exercise bike fad...

;D

Rugby League teams used to do that (not sure if they still do it) especially as subbed players can come back on. I can see players getting deliberate blue cards so they can be filmed keeping warm on the Peloton bike.........
Jurgen YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Pretty sure Fulham did that one season. Definitely have seen it (players on bikes on side line)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

2bn revenue last year... I'd say that was pretty blue chip.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
2bn revenue last year... I'd say that was pretty blue chip.

They appear to be struggling though. I'm seeing losses of $749 million, stocks at their lowest price ever and declining sales.

I always thought Blue Chip were the likes of GM, Ford, VAG, BMW, Coca Cola etc
Jurgen YNWA

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
They appear to be struggling though. I'm seeing losses of $749 million, stocks at their lowest price ever and declining sales.

I always thought Blue Chip were the likes of GM, Ford, VAG, BMW, Coca Cola etc

Which were the basis of my slightly flip question... Peloton is something of a cultural byword for a company that grew too big too fast based on a lot of marketing fluff...

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Pretty sure Fulham did that one season. Definitely have seen it (players on bikes on side line)

Can remember them at Fratton Park, due to lack of space.

Offline reddazforever

• Anny Roader
International rugby teams all have the bikes for keeping sin binned players warm - am sure we’ll see them in the PL at some stage
Proudest ever moment was in the Ataturk stadium - i'm sure the wife will understand!

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
International rugby teams all have the bikes for keeping sin binned players warm - am sure we’ll see them in the PL at some stage

Those guys probably do more exercise on the bikes than they'd ever get on a rugby (union) pitch.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
At least our auld fellas will be drinking ale instead of water in the promo video from Google Pixel
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5517 on: March 10, 2024, 08:56:52 pm »
Just me that thinks there isn't enough turnstiles to deal with people going to the upper tier ? Always long queues that move so slowly. Just feels like there isn't enough.

Offline Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5518 on: March 10, 2024, 10:06:37 pm »
Massive queues outside at about 3pm

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5519 on: March 10, 2024, 10:39:26 pm »
Just me that thinks there isn't enough turnstiles to deal with people going to the upper tier ? Always long queues that move so slowly. Just feels like there isn't enough.

Been in the Upper for the FA cup games and agree.  Need to install more turnstiles in the close season.
We are Loyal Supporters