Author Topic: Anfield Road Extension  (Read 898411 times)

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
Re: Anfield Road Extension - Construction work resumed on 12th September 2023.
« Reply #5240 on: December 22, 2023, 10:23:44 am »
The only sensible solution here is flying taxis.

Finally some proper talk.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #5241 on: December 22, 2023, 10:47:34 am »
The excuses people come out with for leaving early always makes me laugh. They talk as if its a necessity, yet you can guarantee that when a game like Barcelona comes around absolutely none of them are going before the final whistle.

Everyone who goes to a match will want to get home or to the pub as quickly as possible afterwards, but if you're going to the match you should be accepting that it might take longer than you want it to. A small sacrifice for being lucky enough to have a regular ticket. If you can't accept having 45 mins less sleep before work the next day then just don't go and get all the sleep you need.
Exactly, well said.

As Klopp pretty much said the other day, if you can't be arsed don't bother - give the ticket to someone else.

I get that some people may need to catch the last train and stuff - so those games, give your ticket to someone that can stay until the final whistle.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5242 on: December 22, 2023, 06:20:38 pm »
Not sure where all the buses run now but a ring of football specials running along Walton La, St Domingo, Breckfield Road and Priory Road and no private cars within that circuit seems about right to me.
Merseyrail need to up their game massively on night matches. It's okay getting to the ground but if you just happen to just miss a train after the final whistle you could, depending on your destination, have a half hour wait for the next one. Given some stations have minimal or no indoor waiting facilities, it's pretty poor and simply an encouragement to use the car.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5243 on: December 22, 2023, 06:22:38 pm »
Merseyrail need to up their game massively on night matches. It's okay getting to the ground but if you just happen to just miss a train after the final whistle you could, depending on your destination, have a half hour wait for the next one. Given some stations have minimal or no indoor waiting facilities, it's pretty poor and simply an encouragement to use the car.

Transport links to Anfield are terrible compared to a lot of grounds, especially in Europe. I went to watch Nice-Marseille a month or so ago, got the tram up to the stadium from the centre of Nice for a couple of Euros, took my right to the turnstiles basically. Then tram on the way back very efficient. Was back at the hotel well before midnight even with the 9pm kick off.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5244 on: December 22, 2023, 07:23:07 pm »
Transport links to Anfield are terrible compared to a lot of grounds, especially in Europe. I went to watch Nice-Marseille a month or so ago, got the tram up to the stadium from the centre of Nice for a couple of Euros, took my right to the turnstiles basically. Then tram on the way back very efficient. Was back at the hotel well before midnight even with the 9pm kick off.

You wanna try living near Old Trafford, that place fucks the traffic for at least a couple of hours either side of kick off. If they are playing a night match same as us, I can leave the Kop, walk a mile to the car, drive home and when I hit the M60 its still chocker going the opposite way I go.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5245 on: December 22, 2023, 11:11:31 pm »
You wanna try living near Old Trafford, that place fucks the traffic for at least a couple of hours either side of kick off. If they are playing a night match same as us, I can leave the Kop, walk a mile to the car, drive home and when I hit the M60 its still chocker going the opposite way I go.

Weird, unless held back we always manage to get home from OT in an hour or so after the end of the game and that is a 30 mile drive.  Mind you we park on the north side so miss out on the massed hordes heading back to the M6 south.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5246 on: December 23, 2023, 08:59:27 pm »
Can’t wait to see Anfield Road end full. Hate seeing that empty strip right now
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5247 on: December 23, 2023, 10:23:06 pm »
57,548 in today.  :scarf
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5248 on: December 23, 2023, 10:56:10 pm »
57,548 in today.  :scarf

Yep it’s a bit like my belly at Christmas slowly getting bigger.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5249 on: December 23, 2023, 11:15:31 pm »

Yep it’s a bit like my belly at Christmas slowly getting bigger.
;D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5250 on: December 24, 2023, 10:01:36 am »
Weird, unless held back we always manage to get home from OT in an hour or so after the end of the game and that is a 30 mile drive.  Mind you we park on the north side so miss out on the massed hordes heading back to the M6 south.

Yeah if you are on the Trafford Park side of the ground its mental and it is traffic heading for both the M6 and the M60, its taken the missus over an hour to get home, workmate once made the mistake of parking facing towards Manchester, took him about an hour and a half just to get to the M60. Can be fun though, I was working when we beat them 4-1 under Rafa and was driving towards Manc on the M56, hanging out of the truck giving the 5 fingers to this massive queue of very pissed off southern Mancs ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5251 on: December 24, 2023, 12:14:36 pm »
Maybe I'm getting old but yesterday was my first game with the crowd in the annie upper and I'm convinced the acoustics were different. Obviously it's slightly odd when on the Kop to hear a noise from higher than usual (like the cheers when reading out the teamsheet). But also (and this is entirely unscientific) the acoustics of the songs and noise from the Kop (and probably the others too) seem to bounce off the upper but stay within the ground instead of getting lost (like is often the case in the modern bowl stadiums). hope that means, aside from the higher capacity, that the 'cauldron' type atmosphere is going to be even more prevalent and intense, but will have to see. need a big european match this season to properly test it ;)

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5252 on: December 24, 2023, 12:45:03 pm »
It does look superb did it seem a hell of a lot louder in the stand, be even better when it is in full use, I still dream of the day all four stands are done but that’s a different discussion

Offline btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5253 on: December 25, 2023, 11:00:55 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7zKWI3fOvmw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7zKWI3fOvmw</a>

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5254 on: December 28, 2023, 11:45:14 pm »

Old Trafford is right by motorways and ring roads, it's easier to disperse. Plus you've got different tram lines within a short walk.

Anfield needs better public transport links. At least more buses put on and increased Merseyrail capacity.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5255 on: December 29, 2023, 01:20:21 am »
Old Trafford is right by motorways and ring roads, it's easier to disperse. Plus you've got different tram lines within a short walk.

Anfield needs better public transport links. At least more buses put on and increased Merseyrail capacity.
It does, also more needs to be done to get more of the 6-car merseyrail services running and also get an express service running (missing some stops) to speed things up.

Also, the club need to be compelled to foot the bill to improve infrastructure for the area. Can't be having a multi billion pound business, that receives money for playing sport on television in front of a full and passionate crowd, contribute nothing to the funding pot.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5256 on: December 29, 2023, 08:52:24 am »

You’re joking right? Everywhere is a standstill for at least an hour when the match ends. It’s a single road to get to the motorways.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5257 on: December 29, 2023, 12:23:51 pm »
You’re joking right? Everywhere is a standstill for at least an hour when the match ends. It’s a single road to get to the motorways.

It's not to say it's straightforward. You're going to have some bottleneck on the roads moving 76000 people on. Anfield simply wouldn't cope with that with the existing infrastrcture 60000 will be tough enough and capacity beyond that would need big infrastructure upgrades. Even at 40k you had traffic at a standstill for a while after the match.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5258 on: December 29, 2023, 02:14:08 pm »
It's not to say it's straightforward. You're going to have some bottleneck on the roads moving 76000 people on. Anfield simply wouldn't cope with that with the existing infrastrcture 60000 will be tough enough and capacity beyond that would need big infrastructure upgrades. Even at 40k you had traffic at a standstill for a while after the match.

Sorry mate, but you are chatting absolute shite. I live 5 miles from the ground, near the M60, I see it with my own eyes and its a nightmare. My wife had to leave games on 85 minutes to have any chance of getting home in under an hour. As I've said, night games I leave the Kop, walk a mile to my car, drive through Norris Green, Crocky, Huyton, M57, M62 and when I get to the M60 its at a standstill with football traffic at 11:30pm.

We have to deal with lots of queues as people head to the ground, the M60 gets snarled up as you have match traffic mixed with Trafford Centre traffic, day games are the worst, as you've people leaving the game and people leaving the TC at the same time.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #5259 on: December 30, 2023, 06:51:37 am »
Sorry mate, but you are chatting absolute shite. I live 5 miles from the ground, near the M60, I see it with my own eyes and its a nightmare. My wife had to leave games on 85 minutes to have any chance of getting home in under an hour. As I've said, night games I leave the Kop, walk a mile to my car, drive through Norris Green, Crocky, Huyton, M57, M62 and when I get to the M60 its at a standstill with football traffic at 11:30pm.

We have to deal with lots of queues as people head to the ground, the M60 gets snarled up as you have match traffic mixed with Trafford Centre traffic, day games are the worst, as you've people leaving the game and people leaving the TC at the same time.

Early November we were visiting my partner's sister who lives Sale way and they were at home. Made the mistake of getting caught up in all this. Certainly looks like an absolute nightmare when that shower are at home

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5260 on: December 30, 2023, 08:47:05 am »
Early November we were visiting my partner's sister who lives Sale way and they were at home. Made the mistake of getting caught up in all this. Certainly looks like an absolute nightmare when that shower are at home

Get stuck on washway Road did you? Once took me over an hour to get from Sale to Altrincham in the truck cos I got caught in the matchday traffic, its nuts
Jurgen YNWA

Offline reddazforever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5261 on: December 30, 2023, 12:02:18 pm »
Anyone know if the Annie Rd builders /fitters were in between Xmas and New year? Or has everyone been given time off till the 2nd?
Proudest ever moment was in the Ataturk stadium - i'm sure the wife will understand!

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5262 on: December 30, 2023, 01:03:33 pm »
Anyone know if the Annie Rd builders /fitters were in between Xmas and New year? Or has everyone been given time off till the 2nd?

Not seen any work going on in the few drone vids that have been done but not surprised either as had the bank hols and a few home games on the bounce where a fair bit of the work has to stop. Hence why they've done the temporary tarmac in areas

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5263 on: December 31, 2023, 07:15:39 am »
Re transportation to Anfield...

The two main obstacles to further Anfield expansion are transport infrastructure and local housing. The club won't look at expanding until the transport links are sorted.

The only option would be the rail link, but it's not economical. The club can't pay for it; it would likely cost as much as both new stands combined - and Merseytravel certainly can't afford it either.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5264 on: December 31, 2023, 09:44:42 am »
Re transportation to Anfield...

The two main obstacles to further Anfield expansion are transport infrastructure and local housing. The club won't look at expanding until the transport links are sorted.

The only option would be the rail link, but it's not economical. The club can't pay for it; it would likely cost as much as both new stands combined - and Merseytravel certainly can't afford it either.

Anfields location doesn't help, it was fine when it was majority locals, most walked home or got the bus, cars were rare (my dad parked at the sangster or on priory which was dead, but as we've grown our non scouse fanbase and the likes of me have moved away, it's  not great now

A decent park and ride would help for those who use the East Lancs/M62, only due to lack of parking within a mile or so of the ground. Ive always find getting away quite easy, just over an hour from final whistle to home. It's longer when I get to use my mates Stanley Park car park passes though.

Getting into town seems to be the biggest issue, only done it twice, once when I drove in the night I first met the missus, took ages to get into town and wolves the end of the 21/22 season, had a bevvy in the twelfth man after the match and still had to walk to Scotty before we could grab a taxi.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #5265 on: December 31, 2023, 12:30:07 pm »
Said it in the parking thread, but it'll only get worse once Goodison is demolished and replaced with the community housing scheme. That big car park on the dual carriageway will likely be built over and the rat runs will be cut off.

If they did stick a park and ride say near the Showcase on the ELR, would it be used?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5266 on: December 31, 2023, 01:34:48 pm »
If it was say a fiver and buses were regular and given priority I think it would. I pay £10 to park at the minute and still have to walk a mile to the ground, so to have a load of buses parked up down Utting that ferried you to the car park would be ace.

The worst decision was the residents only parking, cost the kids a bomb that did, one kid made about £30 a season just off me alone, they've lost out on hundreds a year
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #5267 on: December 31, 2023, 06:23:28 pm »
Anfields location doesn't help, it was fine when it was majority locals, most walked home or got the bus, cars were rare (my dad parked at the sangster or on priory which was dead, but as we've grown our non scouse fanbase and the likes of me have moved away, it's  not great now

A decent park and ride would help for those who use the East Lancs/M62, only due to lack of parking within a mile or so of the ground. Ive always find getting away quite easy, just over an hour from final whistle to home. It's longer when I get to use my mates Stanley Park car park passes though.

Getting into town seems to be the biggest issue, only done it twice, once when I drove in the night I first met the missus, took ages to get into town and wolves the end of the 21/22 season, had a bevvy in the twelfth man after the match and still had to walk to Scotty before we could grab a taxi.
I have been saying this for years. Despite the capacity increase the transport links are terrible. I can’t think of another top club and city where the links to and from the city centre are so bad. The club needs to make an investment into shuttle buses on match days. You wouldn’t trust Liverpool city council  or Merseytravel to brush the street let alone organise it.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5268 on: December 31, 2023, 11:08:00 pm »
The problem with the club paying for transportation is what it does to ticket prices. Expanding capacity is about expanding revenues. If you're shelling out money to ferry fans to the stadium, then that affects your bottom line.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5269 on: January 1, 2024, 12:39:34 am »
Never really had any issues in recent years getting the train to Sandhills and then the soccerbus to the ground, and then after the game getting a soccerbus back to the city centre. If anything the biggest pain in recent years was the Champions League kick off times changing from 7.45pm to 8pm as it meant trying to get back to Queens Drive for the next 81 is nearly impossible.

Anyhow was in the upper Anfield Road stand for Arsenal and it seems pretty good, was amazed at half time just how easy it was to get a drink from those island bars.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5270 on: January 1, 2024, 12:51:33 am »
The problem with the club paying for transportation is what it does to ticket prices. Expanding capacity is about expanding revenues. If you're shelling out money to ferry fans to the stadium, then that affects your bottom line.
without wanting to create a debate, it's not a necessity that it affects ticket prices.

that would be a voluntary choice, if FSG (or whoever owned us at the time) decided that making improvements to transport infrastructure in the city that allows them to print themselves money should be a cost borne by lfc supporters rather than billionaire hedge funde owners

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5271 on: January 1, 2024, 02:56:18 am »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/anfield-road-capacity-fears-liverpool-28370049

According to the Echo the club are concerned that they may have to operate the new ARE at reduced capacity due to persistent standing. So I expect stewards will be all over it tomorrow, telling fans to sit down.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #5272 on: January 1, 2024, 08:53:08 am »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/anfield-road-capacity-fears-liverpool-28370049

According to the Echo the club are concerned that they may have to operate the new ARE at reduced capacity due to persistent standing. So I expect stewards will be all over it tomorrow, telling fans to sit down.

The stewards should be all over it anyway.

Many have had their hands forced with the kop being so restricted and no one really wants to be sitting in the main or Kenny unless you have too. you might as well be watching at home in the lower especially

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5273 on: January 1, 2024, 09:51:35 am »
Saw this on Then and Now FB page, thought I'd share :)

Love one of the comments below, "lippy on a pig". I'm assuming it's an Everton fan. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5274 on: January 1, 2024, 10:00:59 am »
Saw this on Then and Now FB page, thought I'd share :)

Love one of the comments below, "lippy on a pig". I'm assuming it's an Everton fan. ;D

Still got the same stripes on the pitch ;😉

What years the top one, 85/86 ish or earlier? Can't for the life of me remember when they seated the anny, but I remember the different coloured seats due to Crown sponsoring us.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5275 on: January 1, 2024, 10:10:25 am »
without wanting to create a debate, it's not a necessity that it affects ticket prices.

that would be a voluntary choice, if FSG (or whoever owned us at the time) decided that making improvements to transport infrastructure in the city that allows them to print themselves money should be a cost borne by lfc supporters rather than billionaire hedge funde owners

Well I'm not saying it would affect ticket prices either. I'm just saying that the cost is prohibitively high for an owner who wants LFC to turn a profit that keeps it competitive.  As you say, it's their choice, but I can't envisage them making that choice anytime soon.

I'm not after a debate either, but the matter has been discussed on here before and I do find it very interesting. The logistics are demanding, but not insurmountable. If it's about creating a rail link, the line is on the other side of Stanley Park and already used for freight. Building stations that would only be used on home match days would cost millions, and then they would need trains - and presumably the line would need electrifying as well.

It took MPTE/Merseyrail 50 years just to get around to building Headbolt Lane.

Personally, I do think the line should be restored for public use, but there needs to be a solid business case for it. Like I said, it would likely cost more than both new stands combined - FSG isn't footing a bill like that.

And there's no way to improve the road links unless the council go for the Edge Lane option - buying up a load of homes to widen Walton Breck Road into a dual carriageway, that's closed to all traffic except buses on match days.

Both are possible in the future, but likely tied into future regeneration of the area and further stadium expansion.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5276 on: January 1, 2024, 10:10:48 am »
Still got the same stripes on the pitch ;😉

What years the top one, 85/86 ish or earlier? Can't for the life of me remember when they seated the anny, but I remember the different coloured seats due to Crown sponsoring us.

The caption said 1989.

Popcorn's Art

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5277 on: January 1, 2024, 10:52:26 am »
The caption said 1989.

It’s from the FA cup parade. You can see people getting their speck on the shop roof/kop wall

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5278 on: January 1, 2024, 10:58:19 am »
It’s from the FA cup parade. You can see people getting their speck on the shop roof/kop wall

cool!

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5279 on: January 1, 2024, 10:59:01 am »

Great spot.
Jurgen YNWA