Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2951219 times)

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World
« Reply #22960 on: June 12, 2022, 07:47:09 am »
I remember my mates first game at Anfield, went mad in the store and came out looking like a mascot... sadly he was about 30 at the time :D

Priceless.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22961 on: June 13, 2022, 01:08:39 am »
“I want to win it to join George Weah, the only African," he said. “It's true that I was shocked by my ranking in 2021. For this year, the [Champions League] defeat against Real Madrid is a disadvantage, even if I played a good game in the final.

“But it doesn't cancel out everything I've achieved for months. Let's wait for the vote. And if I'm not Ballon d'Or winner in 2022, I'll do everything I can to be the next one.”

Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22962 on: June 13, 2022, 01:33:23 am »
“I want to win it to join George Weah, the only African," he said. “It's true that I was shocked by my ranking in 2021. For this year, the [Champions League] defeat against Real Madrid is a disadvantage, even if I played a good game in the final.

“But it doesn't cancel out everything I've achieved for months. Let's wait for the vote. And if I'm not Ballon d'Or winner in 2022, I'll do everything I can to be the next one.”

It's up to him, but his desire for a ballon d'or and talking about it (talking up individual achievements) this often comes off pretty desperate.

Maybe it'll serve him well in terms of drawing the attention of voters, but it surprises me he's arsed. The players in his league recognised him in the way he wants, and the ballon d'or results are frequently hilariously shit to the point it devalues the award. But as I said, it's up to him so long as he doesn't mind coming off a bit thirsty.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #22963 on: June 13, 2022, 02:15:25 am »
If he had five seasons as good as his first one he'd have two Ballon d'Or's at least, probably.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22964 on: June 13, 2022, 02:40:09 am »
Mané will be ranked higher than Mo because of AFCON and World Cup qualification, loads of the journalists (that vote) don't watch premier league games. I'm sure Benzema wins anyway this season.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22965 on: June 13, 2022, 03:51:38 am »
Mané will be ranked higher than Mo because of AFCON and World Cup qualification, loads of the journalists (that vote) don't watch premier league games. I'm sure Benzema wins anyway this season.

Yep, Benzema wins this one. Mane i reckon is going to be in top3. Benzema, Modric, Mane?

SLAVA
UKRAINI

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22966 on: June 13, 2022, 03:57:36 am »
It's up to him, but his desire for a ballon d'or and talking about it (talking up individual achievements) this often comes off pretty desperate.

Maybe it'll serve him well in terms of drawing the attention of voters, but it surprises me he's arsed. The players in his league recognised him in the way he wants, and the ballon d'or results are frequently hilariously shit to the point it devalues the award. But as I said, it's up to him so long as he doesn't mind coming off a bit thirsty.

He does come across a bit egomaniacal

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #22967 on: June 13, 2022, 04:50:09 am »
It's not a ranking, it's opinion. Opinions are swayed by journalists, clubs, etc., but I agree, Benzema should win this one. Mane would be second. Salah may want it, but have not done enough to sway opinions.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #22968 on: June 13, 2022, 06:26:02 am »

He's the ultimate competitive sportsman when all is said and done, I really don't get why people don't understand that this gives him huge motivation at winning awards. Also, the fact that only one African player has won it, which is outrageous in itself, explains why it is important to him. His African roots are important to him, I suspect its as much for African football as himself.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22969 on: June 13, 2022, 06:26:37 am »
It'll be Benzema, KdB + one other in 3rd, probably not a Liverpool player. And I don't like those comments from Salah, even though a lot of top players probably think that way. My main issue is saying that he had a pretty decent final; while he was our best forward by a distance, he still failed to score so he should not be talking up his performance.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #22970 on: June 13, 2022, 08:24:52 am »
I keep asking myself why he cares so much about these things. Plus it’s really hard to win these individual accolades if your team doesn’t win the big trophies. Mo should know that Benzema is well ahead of him. Why even bother talking about it publicly? He’s just being trolled over and over again on the ESPN FC twitter page.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22971 on: June 13, 2022, 09:00:43 am »
He's the ultimate competitive sportsman when all is said and done, I really don't get why people don't understand that this gives him huge motivation at winning awards. Also, the fact that only one African player has won it, which is outrageous in itself, explains why it is important to him. His African roots are important to him, I suspect its as much for African football as himself.

Oh I definitely get it. And it's a great thing to strive to 'be the best'.

But subjective individual awards, like the ballon d'or, aren't proof of being the best or anything else. You can drive to constantly improve yourself, as he's done through his career, but then usually the sporting success is the pinnacle of that rather than the subjective individual awards.

If anything, the slight he had with his hilarious ranking in ballon dor last year could be used as a chip on his shoulder to be better (and it probably has). But from a pride perspective it would probably help him more if he didn't let on that it bothers him so much, while he tries to pursue it. But, it's entirely up to him. For me, individual awards are pretty meaningless and don't really work for a team sport (although votes from peers are the best available)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22972 on: June 13, 2022, 09:11:17 am »
Oh I definitely get it. And it's a great thing to strive to 'be the best'.

But subjective individual awards, like the ballon d'or, aren't proof of being the best or anything else. You can drive to constantly improve yourself, as he's done through his career, but then usually the sporting success is the pinnacle of that rather than the subjective individual awards.

If anything, the slight he had with his hilarious ranking in ballon dor last year could be used as a chip on his shoulder to be better (and it probably has). But from a pride perspective it would probably help him more if he didn't let on that it bothers him so much, while he tries to pursue it. But, it's entirely up to him. For me, individual awards are pretty meaningless and don't really work for a team sport (although votes from peers are the best available)

I agree.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22973 on: June 13, 2022, 09:18:45 am »
Obvious why Salah and players would want them but I dont understand anyone who gives a shit about them. To be fair most dont.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22974 on: June 13, 2022, 09:25:23 am »
Just came into the thread to say that I can't wait to see how Mo performs next season alongside Diaz, Nunez, Bobby & Jota.

I reckon there will be huge "Oh you think this new lad from Benfica will replace me do you...?" vibes alongside a huge desire to make sure Haaland doesn't steal any of his limelight.

I think we might see Mo's best season for the reds, which is fucking frightening for everyone else!

Don't worry about weird little gold balls awarded by french magazines or daft agents with the emoji game of a toddler, enjoy what's coming and if it's his last season in a red shirt, cherish it.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22975 on: June 13, 2022, 09:33:23 am »
Just came into the thread to say that I can't wait to see how Mo performs next season alongside Diaz, Nunez, Bobby & Jota.
I reckon there will be huge "Oh you think this new lad from Benfica will replace me do you...?" vibes alongside a huge desire to make sure Haaland doesn't steal any of his limelight.
I think we might see Mo's best season for the reds, which is fucking frightening for everyone else!
Don't worry about weird little gold balls awarded by french magazines or daft agents with the emoji game of a toddler, enjoy what's coming and if it's his last season in a red shirt, cherish it.

Yeah, not looking forward to it if that is his mindset.
He oscilates wildly when he's in a 'prove a point-chase an award' mode.
Just hope he simply plays his game and works for the team, helping the new guys settle in.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #22976 on: June 13, 2022, 10:14:37 am »
Anyone bothered he is basically running his contract down to go on a free? (didnt he basically say he wont allow himself to be sold?)

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22977 on: June 13, 2022, 10:18:04 am »

Yeah, not looking forward to it if that is his mindset.
He oscilates wildly when he's in a 'prove a point-chase an award' mode.
Just hope he simply plays his game and works for the team, helping the new guys settle in.

When does he oscilate? He's had a pretty consistent output over every season he's played for us.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #22978 on: June 13, 2022, 10:27:25 am »
Anyone bothered he is basically running his contract down to go on a free? (didnt he basically say he wont allow himself to be sold?)

Not ideal, but wouldn't be too keen to have to replace him and Mane in the same summer. If he sees our his contract then not much more we can ask of him, especially if we can't agree on a new deal.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22979 on: June 13, 2022, 10:55:51 am »
I mean we would be demanding a hefty fee for him to go. And I think he would be happy to stay if we gave him what he wants. So it's not like he's running his contract down to specifically go to another club and rat us.

If we got a huge offer and he refused to go maybe we could be annoyed. But I think if that did happen he probably would go to be honest

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22980 on: June 13, 2022, 11:04:20 am »

No.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #22981 on: June 13, 2022, 12:02:21 pm »

More bothered about it being a sideshow for most of the year to be honest but given his agent has shown he doesn't give a fuck about us and Salah doesn't seem particularly arsed about dissuading him, I guess that's what we're getting. Can't really be arsed to be honest.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Redknight60

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22982 on: June 13, 2022, 12:06:17 pm »

Negotiations are still going on. It's a lot different from the Mane situation where the club have been looking to sell. There is still hope and a good chance that they come to an agreement with mo imo.

If there was really a strong desire from mo to leave I think we'd know about it. It's about money and he's not going to get a much bigger offer from elsewhere if you look at potential club's.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22983 on: June 13, 2022, 12:13:33 pm »
Negotiations are still going on. It's a lot different from the Mane situation where the club have been looking to sell. There is still hope and a good chance that they come to an agreement with mo imo.

If there was really a strong desire from mo to leave I think we'd know about it. It's about money and he's not going to get a much bigger offer from elsewhere if you look at potential club's.
No, but they can hand him a Ł30/40m signing on fee, match our wage offer and Mo's laughing. It's best if we all just assume he's leaving on a free and if anything changes it's a nice surprise.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22984 on: June 13, 2022, 12:32:33 pm »

That's definitely what's happening but I'm not sure the club are too bothered. It was always better to keep one of Mane or Salah to help with the transition even if they left on a free at the end of next season.

Mo has better numbers and isn't going to the WC so I think that's why we decided it would be him. If we can get him to resign on our terms we will but otherwise we will let him go for free.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #22985 on: June 13, 2022, 01:33:22 pm »
The mere thing that Benzema is favourite to win when Lewandowski clearly is the better player, De Bruyne had a better season and Salah scored so many from out wide shows what a joke contest it is. Whenever the Spanish media feels like someone should get it, they get given that one.

Not to mention that Benzema's background of criminal behaviour should automatically DSQ him from such an award.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 01:36:11 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22986 on: June 13, 2022, 01:35:54 pm »
The mere thing that Benzema is favourite to win when Lewandowski clearly is the better player, De Bruyne had a better season and Salah scored so many from out wide shows what a joke contest it is. Whenever the Spanish media feels like someone should get it, they get given that one.

If it wasn't for Benzema this Real Madrid team would have been out of the Champions League in February. Granted it's a team sport but he's been sensational all season and deserves the individual accolades.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22987 on: June 13, 2022, 02:06:09 pm »
He does come across a bit egomaniacal
bollocks.  what's he supposed to say?  "I don't care about winning things" ? 

he'd get slated for that ffs.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22988 on: June 13, 2022, 02:06:33 pm »

I think the Ballon d’Or would mean he’s won every (top) honour in football both club and individual? He’s never been shy about admitting his motivation is trophies. He even declared he has a special trophy cabinet where he keeps spaces clear, and he imagines what the next trophy will be in that space, to motivate himself. They’re all desperate for trophies, wins, etc, it’s what marks them out as elite competitors/athletes. Salah is just honest about his desire rather than pretending he’s not bothered. It’s harder for us mere mortals to understand that extreme drive I suppose.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22989 on: June 13, 2022, 02:13:49 pm »

Not to mention that Benzema's background of criminal behaviour should automatically DSQ him from such an award.

League & Champions League. Scored an obscene amount of goals

I'm not his biggest fan but Benzema fully deserves it, there isn't even another close contender to be honest and De Bruyne has not had a better season at all

Offline Red Being

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22990 on: June 13, 2022, 02:15:29 pm »

I simply hate Real. But Benzema deserves it imo.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #22991 on: June 13, 2022, 02:35:25 pm »
It's downright insulting that once their careers are done, the likes of van Dijk, Lewandowski, Salah and De Bruyne will total zero Ballon d'Ors and Benzema (who's maybe top three) will have one because of the Spanish PR machine. You won't change my mind on it.
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #22992 on: June 13, 2022, 04:42:38 pm »
League & Champions League. Scored an obscene amount of goals

I'm not his biggest fan but Benzema fully deserves it, there isn't even another close contender to be honest and De Bruyne has not had a better season at all

Dont think thats really true. Mane, Salah, Lewandowski, De Bruyne, Rodri and probably a few others should be close contenders. If Villa hadn't conceded a third goal, and Mane had scored with his chance that went onto the post, we'd be talking about him as an absolute shoe-on for it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22993 on: June 13, 2022, 05:09:32 pm »
Dont think thats really true. Mane, Salah, Lewandowski, De Bruyne, Rodri and probably a few others should be close contenders. If Villa hadn't conceded a third goal, and Mane had scored with his chance that went onto the post, we'd be talking about him as an absolute shoe-on for it.

Yep

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #22994 on: June 13, 2022, 05:13:42 pm »
Something is rotten with Ballon d'Or and it's plain to see at this point.

The last time someone who didn't spent at least most of the year at a Spanish club won it was Cristiano Ronaldo in 2008 (!)

Meanwhile we've had some high-profile snubs. These are Sneijder in 2010, Ribéry/Schweinsteiger in 2013, Salah in 2018, van Dijk in 2019, Lewandowski cancelled 2020 and lost in 2021.

It's hard to take that thing seriously anymore. It feels like Real Madrid and Barcelona are just paying people off to give the award to their guys. I mean, Salah 6th in 2018 and 7th in 2021 what the hell?  ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05:17:42 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #22995 on: June 13, 2022, 05:19:45 pm »
Individual awards don't bother me at all, but I don't think you could look past Benzema on the events of the last 9 months, he's been outstanding, ridiculous in Europe and also their best player as they ran away with La Liga.

Lewandowski was unfortunate it was cancelled, I don't think he'd have been looked past, there have been some joke winners though, Modric especially a few years ago even though he's superb. That c*nt winning it five times. Apart from his last I've always thought Messi has been full value for them all.

Don't even think Salah was top 5 when he scored 40+ in his first season here, bizarre that because I think it was the year Modric won it, a strange one all round.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22996 on: June 14, 2022, 01:00:47 am »
I simply hate Real. But Benzema deserves it imo.
Virg deserved it in 2019, and Lewandowski even more so in 2020. It’s not about deserving it, it seems it’s more about playing for the two Spanish clubs, winning the CL, and in Benzema’s case, being French (despite being a piece of shit) swaying it.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22997 on: June 14, 2022, 02:46:14 am »
Very well could be that we were only going to renew 1 of mane or salah - and now that Sadio has made it known that he wants out - we can make the effort for Mo?

My hope anyway.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #22998 on: June 14, 2022, 07:19:17 am »
Something is rotten with Ballon d'Or and it's plain to see at this point.

The last time someone who didn't spent at least most of the year at a Spanish club won it was Cristiano Ronaldo in 2008 (!)

Meanwhile we've had some high-profile snubs. These are Sneijder in 2010, Ribéry/Schweinsteiger in 2013, Salah in 2018, van Dijk in 2019, Lewandowski cancelled 2020 and lost in 2021.

It's hard to take that thing seriously anymore. It feels like Real Madrid and Barcelona are just paying people off to give the award to their guys. I mean, Salah 6th in 2018 and 7th in 2021 what the hell?  ;D
It's a French award with a strong Spanish (and previously Italian) connection. I don't understand why it got so much status in the first place.
PL players basically cant get it, even though PL has been the strongest league for decades. Henry? Gerrard? De Bruyne?
And everyone knows that Mbappe will get it if PSG wins PL, no matter how average he has been.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 07:21:13 am by jepovic »

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22999 on: June 14, 2022, 07:22:23 am »

Can we really use if buts and maybes as a metric to decide an award though?

We would be talking him up for it but that stuff never happened, we DIDN'T win the trophy which is what makes all the difference.

Benzema has had the most outstanding year out of the candidates for the award which is exactly why he will win it.

The named players have been brilliant but no ones year is in the same category as Benzemas. I cant fucking stand madrid but credit where it's due. De Bruyne for example, very good season but didn't do it all season for one, didn't win anything other than the title that realistically all things considered they should be winning every year anyway when you look at what they spend.

Give any of our players Benzemas season, numbers AND a league and Champions League double and you would be saying they've been robbed if they dont get it and no one else came close. There's been some very good seasons for players across europe but Benzemas has been the very top.

Salah and Mane have both been class but I dont think we can really argue about them not winning it or claim they should have won it