Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2964355 times)

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World
« Reply #22880 on: June 8, 2022, 08:59:29 am »
There are all sorts of angles with Salah, more so though than Mane I believe.

What you have in Mo is one of the very best goal scorers in modern times, certainly the best I have seen in a Liverpool shirt and we have had a fair few decent strikers!

What makes Mo different to Suarez, Coutinho and Torres etc etc?  Mo wants to stay. Simple as, if he was on the lookout for another club and pushing for a move id be all in the let him go boat. If his demands are from £250k to £350k pw thats an extra £5m a year, what the actual fuck is the problem? In football terms that is literally sweet FA. On a more realistic level yes, its a horrendous amount of money to give anyone as a wage but that is sadly how the world is working now, our American owners are more than aware as baseball stars have huge contracts. If we are to stay on top of our perch we have to keep our best players, especially if they want to stay.

There is no one out there that we can buy  (for the price of Mo's wages) that will do a job that Mo will do for the team in the next 2-3 years.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22881 on: June 8, 2022, 09:05:14 am »
Think the issue is more the reported 500k a week. He certainly could argue he is worth that given he is top 5 in the world right now. Might be only 4 or 5 clubs willing to pay that much and 2 are in Manchester :D

That might go in our favour too, lack of options but also why City may be a really option for him worryingly.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22882 on: June 8, 2022, 09:36:04 am »

What you have in Mo is one of the very best goal scorers in modern times, certainly the best I have seen in a Liverpool shirt and we have had a fair few decent strikers!

What makes Mo different to Suarez, Coutinho and Torres etc etc?  Mo wants to stay. Simple as, if he was on the lookout for another club and pushing for a move id be all in the let him go boat. If his demands are from £250k to £350k pw thats an extra £5m a year, what the actual fuck is the problem? In football terms that is literally sweet FA. On a more realistic level yes, its a horrendous amount of money to give anyone as a wage but that is sadly how the world is working now, our American owners are more than aware as baseball stars have huge contracts. If we are to stay on top of our perch we have to keep our best players, especially if they want to stay.

There is no one out there that we can buy  (for the price of Mo's wages) that will do a job that Mo will do for the team in the next 2-3 years.

It's all the stuff you've not mentioned.

His age
The length of the contract
Juding his ability/contribution towards the end of that contract and whether that sees us paying a huge salary to a player that's not at the same level.
Knock on effect to other contract renewals/negotiations.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22883 on: June 8, 2022, 09:41:24 am »
Mo wants to stay.

Does he though, really?

He's not acting like it.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #22884 on: June 8, 2022, 09:43:41 am »

What makes Mo different to Suarez, Coutinho and Torres etc etc? Mo wants to stay. Simple as, if he was on the lookout for another club and pushing for a move id be all in the let him go boat. If his demands are from £250k to £350k pw thats an extra £5m a year, what the actual fuck is the problem? In football terms that is literally sweet FA. On a more realistic level yes, its a horrendous amount of money to give anyone as a wage but that is sadly how the world is working now, our American owners are more than aware as baseball stars have huge contracts. If we are to stay on top of our perch we have to keep our best players, especially if they want to stay.

If Mo was that desperate to stay we wouldnt be having these conversations.

And time and time again....its not just increasing his salary. We dont need to look particularly far for cautionary tales about giving one player a huge bump over everyone else. Look at United. Look at Arsenal. Its all very well saying 'Its just Mo on £400k a week', but pretty soon you've got Trent wanting £300k a week when he renews, Konate wants a big bump because he's 'only' on £70k a week, Alisson, VVD and Fab are thinking 'Hang on why the fuck am I now 'only' on £180k a week?' and everyones agents are rubbing their hands together. Its why United now have the likes of De Gea, Maguire, Sancho, Varane, Martial and Rashford all on £200k plus a week.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22885 on: June 8, 2022, 10:16:13 am »

And time and time again....its not just increasing his salary. We dont need to look particularly far for cautionary tales about giving one player a huge bump over everyone else. Look at United. Look at Arsenal. Its all very well saying 'Its just Mo on £400k a week', but pretty soon you've got Trent wanting £300k a week when he renews, Konate wants a big bump because he's 'only' on £70k a week, Alisson, VVD and Fab are thinking 'Hang on why the fuck am I now 'only' on £180k a week?' and everyones agents are rubbing their hands together. Its why United now have the likes of De Gea, Maguire, Sancho, Varane, Martial and Rashford all on £200k plus a week.

Exactly. Add 10 players wanting an extra £50k a week and all of a sudden its an extra £50 million a season on wages.

Heard the argument the other day that we watch football to see these players, so they deserve the money, but WE pay their wages, not the clubs - we stop buying merchandise, paying Sky and BT, stop going the game and the money vanishes. It's about time these greedy fuckers realised that and the money coming in was pumped back into supporters, cheaper tickets would be a fucking start. I've stupidly committed to taking the kids to 4 games next season, £500 fucking notes that's costing, we give giving big rises and we just have to stump up more and more money.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22886 on: June 8, 2022, 10:29:13 am »
United have a lot of players north of 300k for this reason and then the likes of rashford on over 200k for parity. It's insane. Why they can't sell the likes of Jones or lingaard. Both over 100k and don't even play

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22887 on: June 8, 2022, 10:42:15 am »

What about the knock on effect of his wage increase, how would you deal with that? The money has to come from somewhere.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22888 on: June 8, 2022, 11:26:49 am »
Yep, agree with the entire point that once 1 player has set a president, others would follow. It’s a pretty tricky situation for the club but it makes a pretty penny to, am sure if that. Just think that the days of huge transfer fees are drawing to a close as players chose to run down contracts and demand more for their services.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22889 on: June 8, 2022, 12:50:00 pm »
Yep, agree with the entire point that once 1 player has set a president, others would follow. It’s a pretty tricky situation for the club but it makes a pretty penny to, am sure if that. Just think that the days of huge transfer fees are drawing to a close as players chose to run down contracts and demand more for their services.

Yep, the oil states or the Govt funded clubs, in this case Qatar and Real Madrid, have fucked it up with the money they were prepared to lash at Mbappe. All the agents have clocked now that if they have a player on their books, run the contract down and then start a bidding war for a multi million signing on fee. Transfer fees will disappear and clubs will go to the wall the way this is going. It'll be nothing but 5 or 6 oil clubs playing each other 10 times a season, that is all that will be left of the game.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red Dane

• Kopite
  • Probinate nobis similibusque
« Reply #22890 on: June 8, 2022, 12:52:23 pm »
75.6% of Hindi-speaking Uraguayanese disagree. That's only 100K - and you know what happens at 100K.

Hindi-speaking Uraguayanese can't read.
Every power draws its ultimate consequences at every moment. Supposing that this also is only interpretation-and you will be eager enough to make this objection?-well, so much the better. (Nietzsche; Beyond Good & Evil, p. 30-31).

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22891 on: June 8, 2022, 01:01:45 pm »
Does he though, really?

He's not acting like it.

How though?

What does ‘acting like it’ look like in the current scenario?

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22892 on: June 8, 2022, 01:18:18 pm »
How though?

What does ‘acting like it’ look like in the current scenario?

Quite simple really. If he wants to stay then just sign.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22893 on: June 8, 2022, 01:30:23 pm »
Quite simple really. If he wants to stay then just sign.

So you want to sell your car, you want £10,000 as that’s the value of it given the current market, someone says they’ll give you £8,000. You say no, that’s too far below my valuation. Does this mean you dont really want to sell it then?

Of course not because that’s not how negotiation for things works. I get people see players as ridiculously greedy and self centred but ‘you wont take what you’ve been offered so you dont wanna stay’ is not really reality of negotiating a new contract

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #22894 on: June 8, 2022, 01:33:23 pm »
If its true that he's open to a 2 year extension I have absolutely no idea why this isn't done yet

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22895 on: June 8, 2022, 01:41:07 pm »
If its true that he's open to a 2 year extension I have absolutely no idea why this isn't done yet

Bet you it's something weird - like a 2 year extension - with a low release clause of 50m after next year....(which I'd consider).

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #22896 on: June 8, 2022, 01:41:50 pm »
Bet you it's something weird - like a 2 year extension - with a low release clause of 50m after next year....(which I'd consider).

I mean so would I given we're currently set to lose him for nothing

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22897 on: June 8, 2022, 02:02:42 pm »
So you want to sell your car, you want £10,000 as that’s the value of it given the current market, someone says they’ll give you £8,000. You say no, that’s too far below my valuation. Does this mean you dont really want to sell it then?

Of course not because that’s not how negotiation for things works. I get people see players as ridiculously greedy and self centred but ‘you wont take what you’ve been offered so you dont wanna stay’ is not really reality of negotiating a new contract

Except he's already pulling between £300 and £400k a week with us, that's 20 YEARS wages for most people in the ground, in a week, so when a player is saying no to another contract for around those wages, it'll always translate as they don't want to sign. Just how much money do these players need?

I'm 55, £250k allows me to retire now, that's  about 13 hours pay for these players.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2022, 02:04:29 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22898 on: June 8, 2022, 02:20:28 pm »
Except he's already pulling between £300 and £400k a week with us, that's 20 YEARS wages for most people in the ground, in a week, so when a player is saying no to another contract for around those wages, it'll always translate as they don't want to sign. Just how much money do these players need?

Speaking from the position of an average person doesn’t make reality change though. Who the fuck knows what he does with what he earns and what his plans are. Yes to the average normal football fan it’s a complete different world but that doesn’t change the fact ‘you wont take what we offer so you dont want to stay’ isn’t actual reality of it. The thing is there are plenty of negotiations where contracts aren’t signed instantly, it’s far from as simple as not paying or accepting = you dont want it. Flip it, we wont pay what he wants… so does that mean we dont want Salah here? No, its we don’t want to renew on those specific terms, the same principals apply both ways. Do Bayern not really want Mane because they bid below what we want? No, again it’s negotiation… terrible negotiation on their part but it still isn’t as simple as suggested.

I dont think footballers should earn as much as they do but to lay all of the blame at their feet is misguided. These issues are out of control but the same ones lambasting the money and issues continue to contribute to it, it’s not JUST the players being greedy which is how many fans seem to want to frame it. I dont feel sorry for the players but the ‘you’re a villain if you dare not just take whatever you’re offered’ has to come with some kind of perspective surely. If he doesn’t want to sign the contract that’s been offered then that’s on him, but it doesn’t mean he wants to leave, compromising on your own value comes in many forms and the magnification of the financial side seems to make the same principals not mean anything.

Most people who dont have access to things insist they would do x y and z but its easy to from a far inferior financial position. How many people realistically turn down pay raises when people they see as inferior in the same work are earning more?

My family are from a pretty poor country and I work in a competitive industry, never been a greedy person and I help people as much as I can, great earning potential in my industry and if I get the chance to earn in line with people of a similar ability, more so if some peoples work/ability is inferior to my own and they earn more, I am going to negotiate for parity if the opportunity arises, I could help so many and do so much to prevent people from going through the difficulty I had to growing up with little to nothing, the more I make the more I can do and the more people I can help. This isn’t true for all players and some just want to buy buy buy material things but there are some who genuinely want to provide and make differences, it seems like the difference in money is small at those levels but sometimes it really isnt.

Like I said we dont know what Salah does with his money and it could be that he isn’t one of those looking to use his money to help others but at the same time it doesn’t always just come down to pure greed and having a value for yourself and your ability and work is not wrong or unreasonable, regardless of what the average fan says they would do thoeretically
« Last Edit: June 8, 2022, 02:29:56 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #22899 on: June 8, 2022, 02:23:26 pm »

Playing devils advocate here as I agree with you sentiment but football clubs are not bubbles. There’s nothing stopping Trent or VVD already saying x player at y club is on zK a week and I want the same, if reports are to be believed that’s exactly what Mo is doing. He’s not comparing himself to players at LFC, he’s comparing himself to players at other clubs and saying I want the same.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #22900 on: June 8, 2022, 02:28:56 pm »
Playing devils advocate here as I agree with you sentiment but football clubs are not bubbles. There’s nothing stopping Trent or VVD already saying x player at y club is on zK a week and I want the same, if reports are to be believed that’s exactly what Mo is doing. He’s not comparing himself to players at LFC, he’s comparing himself to players at other clubs and saying I want the same.

There's not, but the reply to them I imagine would be the same as Mo. We're not an oil sports washer. Its a lot, lot easier to push for a payrise if you're comparing yourself to someone at your own club instead of someone at a different club.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22901 on: June 8, 2022, 03:58:49 pm »
and he is entitled to do that. But if it break OUR structure then the fans should side with the clubs decision.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #22902 on: June 8, 2022, 05:46:39 pm »
Haven't seen it mentioned but I think we should pay him what he wants, whats the worst that could happen?
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #22903 on: June 8, 2022, 05:47:13 pm »
Haven't seen it mentioned but I think we should pay him what he wants, whats the worst that could happen?

We completely break our wage structure.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22904 on: June 8, 2022, 06:13:32 pm »

Fishing..............?

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22905 on: June 8, 2022, 06:49:19 pm »

We fans know what he wants. At least that's what he said.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #22906 on: June 8, 2022, 07:28:48 pm »
Fishing..............?
Clue was in the first 4 words ;D seems like someone pokes their head out with that statement every 2-3 pages just to start the circular argument again, thought I'd leep it going!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22907 on: June 8, 2022, 07:39:23 pm »
Yeah feels like these chats just need a summarising set of bullet points :D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22908 on: June 8, 2022, 11:25:31 pm »
Does he though, really?

He's not acting like it.
you (we) are supposed to know the answer to that.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #22909 on: June 8, 2022, 11:58:24 pm »
you (we) are supposed to know the answer to that.
Well, you know when your wife/girlfriend sits quietly on the sofa without saying a word. you ask her "what's wrong" and she says "nothing"? That's the Salah story.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22910 on: June 9, 2022, 01:57:16 am »
Thats beside the point. 10k a month in theory is more then enough to live on...he's worth a lot more then that and feels he should be paid like his peers.

I dont see the issue.

He’s not worth more than that. He believes he is because of what his peers are being paid by sportswashers. He and they are not worth that. It’s utter madness.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22911 on: June 9, 2022, 02:33:21 am »
He loves posing shirtless, so maybe all he wants is some extra body lotions, or maybe the front face of Nivea MEN advert?
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22912 on: June 9, 2022, 03:54:43 am »

When someone offers you 8,000, and doesn't budge, and no one offers you 10,000, then the "market" for your car is 8.000. By definition.

Things sells for whatever the buyer is willing to pay for it. Not what the seller wants for it.

Of course, their valuations could match. Or not, in which case, the seller then has to decide whether to sell. That's when you find out if they really "want to sell".

We will soon find out what the market for Mane is. And, possibly later this summer, what the market for Salah is.

« Last Edit: June 9, 2022, 04:04:56 am by FLRed67 »

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22914 on: June 9, 2022, 07:50:18 pm »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22915 on: June 9, 2022, 07:50:49 pm »

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #22916 on: June 9, 2022, 07:57:57 pm »
Some of you might like to know the interviewer, Liam Macdevitt, is a huge Red. This is his granddad here, so he had absolutely no choice, whatsoever.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #22917 on: June 9, 2022, 07:59:55 pm »

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Now sign the fucking contract, Mo
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22918 on: June 9, 2022, 08:00:00 pm »
:wellin
Jurgen YNWA

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22919 on: June 9, 2022, 08:03:31 pm »
Some of you might like to know the interviewer, Liam Macdevitt, is a huge Red. This is his granddad here, so he had absolutely no choice, whatsoever.
Hey, that’s pretty cool
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W