Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5771667 times)

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #43560 on: April 14, 2017, 10:07:03 pm »
We don't need a natural left back anyway.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43561 on: April 14, 2017, 10:08:44 pm »
Di Marzio is now claiming Kolasinac signed the contract today as well, not sure if people on here think he is reliable?

Di Marzio is not reliable.

As for Kolasinac, he is a solid left fullback, but I don't think that he is an improvement over Monreal. Certainly an improvement over Gibbs.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #43562 on: April 14, 2017, 10:09:43 pm »
Surprised if City didn't actually make him an offer though, he'd walk into their team, I know he would Arsenal too, but City would a) pay more wages probably and b) be likely to win more.  But hey, it's London innit, so who knows :D  Whoever gets him gets a good player.

I disagree re Monreal, he is an improvment, he's also 6 years younger.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43563 on: April 14, 2017, 10:10:53 pm »
Multiple unreliable sources are now reporting it. Know nothing of the player but its a free transfer so could be sound business.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43564 on: April 14, 2017, 10:14:06 pm »
Surprised if City didn't actually make him an offer though, he'd walk into their team, I know he would Arsenal too, but City would a) pay more wages probably and b) be likely to win more.  But hey, it's London innit, so who knows :D  Whoever gets him gets a good player.

But you probably think a lad stacking shelves at Aldi's would improve any premier league team. Your opinion of premier league teams and players seems very low.
I hope you're right though.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43565 on: April 14, 2017, 10:14:11 pm »
We don't need a natural left back anyway.

I would not have been disappointed if Kolasinac ended up at LFC, but we can do better. Talking about young and talented left fullbacks from the Bundesliga, the likes of Wendell from Leverkusen and Gerhardt from Wolfsburg are the ones to watch.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #43566 on: April 14, 2017, 10:18:12 pm »
But you probably think a lad stacking shelves at Aldi's would improve any premier league team. Your opinion of premier league teams and players seems very low.
I hope you're right though.

I don't actually talk more than most about premier league teams apart from taking the piss out of the obvious ones in here :D  It should all be taken with a pinch of salt, I know who I like and don't like :) It's my 2nd favourite league, and one of only 2 leagues I watch, but I don't fall for all the hype about it I guess!

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43567 on: April 14, 2017, 10:18:15 pm »

Yes, Monreal is 6 years older, but he is also tactically more aware than Kolasinac. I suspect that Kolasinac will struggle in the Premier League in the same way as Moreno, unless he improves his tactical awareness.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43568 on: April 14, 2017, 10:19:19 pm »
Kolasinac is the kind of player that's probably worth signing on a free but not worth paying much of a fee for.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43569 on: April 14, 2017, 11:12:07 pm »
Guardian is now reporting it.

I've watched Kolosinac play mostly for our national team, but I've never been amazed by any of his performances. He can be solid at times and ok at others. As a free signing, it's a good signing. He's got the build to play in England, and decent pace, going forward he's nothing to write home about, and his technical ability is  average.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #43570 on: April 14, 2017, 11:15:08 pm »
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43571 on: April 15, 2017, 07:57:26 am »
Always thought we should have gone in for him. He's not the most skilled, but has got enough pace about him, very direct, plus he's a very aggressive and competitive player. I think we really need more of the latter, instead of more skilled and technical players in that position.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43572 on: April 15, 2017, 08:22:50 am »
Been compared to Ivanovic by some. If he is big and tough and strong in the air then he'd be very useful. Because our full backs are always getting bullied in the air.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43573 on: April 15, 2017, 08:36:58 am »
FSG seem more ruthless with their managers then the Arsenal board, how much ambition they have we will see over time. Wenger was right in 4th place trophy to an extent and for some time, it was a vital "trophy" for us but the idea was supposed to be once the finances were sorted, we pushed on. Liverpool may need a few seasons to keep hold of top 4 and then push on but the key is that at some point, clubs have to push on. We didn't, Wenger seems to got trapped into a certain mentality

If someone tells this Arsenal team they're shit, you're more likely to see them crying, moping around and wanting out rather than coming up with a strong reaction.

We tend to bounce back after a poor patch but I don't think we can this time.

New players come in and go out and the same issue remains. Its down to the manager.

Indeed. Somehow all the players we have had are weak or immoral despite constant change of players, despite some of them winning things elsewhere but it is all the players failure of moral character, not the failings of the consistent presences at the club

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43574 on: April 15, 2017, 08:48:01 am »
Always thought we should have gone in for him. He's not the most skilled, but has got enough pace about him, very direct, plus he's a very aggressive and competitive player. I think we really need more of the latter, instead of more skilled and technical players in that position.

I haven't really watched the Bundesliga beyond Dortmund and Bayern this season.

Has he improved his decision making regarding tackling? Or does he still rush into challenges?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43575 on: April 15, 2017, 09:50:34 am »
Wenger says he wont break wage structure for Sanchez.

Arsène Wenger has told Alexis Sánchez he will not be held to ransom by the forward’s wage demands and nor will he jeopardise the unity of the Arsenal dressing room by caving in to them.
Tony Adams: the accidental manager who has to be Granada’s Winston Wolfe
Read more

Sánchez will enter the final year on his contract this summer and he is in a strong negotiating position. The 28-year-old is wanted by a clutch of clubs who are a part of Europe’s financial elite – namely, Chelsea, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain – and he has an offer from an unnamed Chinese club worth £400,000 a week.

Sánchez’s advisers have used it as leverage in their talks with Arsenal, who have agreed a deal to sign Schalke’s highly-rated Bosnia left-back Sead Kolasinac on a free transfer in the summer after the player appeared to be on his way to Everton. “It certainly contributes to the imagination of the players,” Wenger said on the notion of whether the Chinese Super League had inflated the market.

Wenger was asked whether the Arsenal dressing room would be destabilised if one of the players earned such a massive salary. “Always,” he replied, “but we must also accept that modern life has changed a little bit. We always had a wage schedule that was respected but players earn so much money now that the cases have become much more individual than global.

“You have many different opinions. Some people tell me: ‘Just give him what he wants.’ But then you cannot respect any more any wage structure and you put the club in trouble as well. You have to make the decision in an objective way. The club always has to be the priority. I understand top players are a big priority but, even for important players, you can only pay as much as you can afford.”

Sánchez has become increasingly frustrated as Arsenal’s form has disintegrated and the nightmare for the club would be if he refused to sign a new contract and insisted that he wanted to join Chelsea or Manchester City in the summer. With more than one club interested, a bidding war could develop that would push the fee to a high level. Arsenal would have to accept it or risk getting nothing for him in the summer of 2018.

Wenger was clear he did not see the emerging Chinese league as an option for Sánchez, who is Arsenal’s top scorer this season with 22 goals in all competitions and has been named on the short-list for the PFA’s player of the year award.

“Every club and every player has to make decisions,” Wenger said. “Where are your priorities? Where do you want to play? The first priority for top players is to play with the best players and in the best league. After that, it is not about choosing to go to China because you earn big money. You make big money in England as well. You have the best combination of playing at the top and big money is in England, at the moment. So, for me, China is not a debate.”

Wenger said that Petr Cech (calf) and Laurent Koscielny (achilles) had an 80% chance of being fit for the trip to Middlesbrough on Monday, when Arsenal will attempt to stop a run of four successive away defeats in the Premier League. They have conceded three goals in each of them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/14/arsene-wenger-not-break-arsenal-wage-structure-alexis-sanchez

Good for Wenger. If that 300k/week figure mentioned earlier in the thread is true then its an absolutely insane amount to spend on an attacker who barely ever breaks the 9km/match barrier and barely managed 8km against City. Just not worth it for anyone, let alone a player who puts so much strain on the rest of the team.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:54:16 am by Xabi Gerrard »

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43576 on: April 15, 2017, 10:01:39 am »

Good for Wenger. If that 300k/week figure mentioned earlier in the thread is true then its an absolutely insane amount to spend on an attacker who barely ever breaks the 9km/match barrier and barely managed 8km against City. Just not worth it anyone, let alone a player who puts so much strain on the rest of the team.

You keep using distance covered stats to beat Sanchez with but seem to completely ignore the fact he's played in 171 games for Arsenal and Chile since August 2014. That is an absolutely insane amount of football in less than 3 years and your stats seem completely devoid of that context. He's rushed back from multiple injuries to be fit for Arsenal.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43577 on: April 15, 2017, 10:04:08 am »

Good for Wenger. If that 300k/week figure mentioned earlier in the thread is true then its an absolutely insane amount to spend on an attacker who barely ever breaks the 9km/match barrier and barely managed 8km against City. Just not worth it for anyone, let alone a player who puts so much strain on the rest of the team.

Football is not about distance covered. sometimes standing still is better than running

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43578 on: April 15, 2017, 10:12:58 am »
You keep using distance covered stats to beat Sanchez with but seem to completely ignore the fact he's played in 171 games for Arsenal and Chile since August 2014. That is an absolutely insane amount of football in less than 3 years and your stats seem completely devoid of that context. He's rushed back from multiple injuries to be fit for Arsenal.

It doesn't matter why he runs so little, contributes so little to Arsenal's off ball play and offers such inadequate movement when his fellow attackers could use some off the ball running to create space. What matters is that he does run so little. Its detrimental to the whole team. In this day and age at top level football being super talented just isn't enough (or at least you have to be contributing at Ronaldo or Messi levels to get away with it, which Sanchez is WAY short of), you need to contribute through movement, pressing, off the ball running to create space, etc. For right or wrong, thats what it takes to compete at the highest level now.

I dont think you can keep hiding behind the "amount of games played" line either. For one thing, by all accounts HE HIMSELF insists on playing as much as he can, for example it was him who wanted to be involved V Sutton rather than having a proper break. Which was absolutely ridiculous for both him to insist upon and the club to allow. Plus his physique isn't conducive to putting in the shift top level attackers in succesful teams need - he's way too bulky, suitable for explosive movement rather than the rigours required at Arsenal. Maybe at a counter attacking team he (and the team) would thrive where he could just hang on the shoulder of the last defender and then explode into action a few times a game?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43579 on: April 15, 2017, 10:19:28 am »

Funnily enough, exactly what I came on to say about him joining us.

I had a look around a few different forums and there seems to be a mixed bag of opinions. Some say he's quite average, others say he's really good and had a bit of a breakout season. Some say he's poor going forward but strangely he's been employed as a wingback most recently and has the best goals / assist stats for a defender in the league.

The main thing everyone agrees on is that he's strong, aggressive and a bit of a fighter. Qualities I think everyone will agree that we lack. I won't be upset if it's a sign of more of the qualities we are looking for this summer, we have small technical players coming out our ears!

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43580 on: April 15, 2017, 10:19:52 am »
It doesn't matter why he runs so little, contributes so little to Arsenal's off ball play and offers such inadequate movement when his fellow attackers could use some off the ball running to create space. What matters is that he does run so little. Its detrimental to the whole team. In this day and age at top level football being super talented just isn't enough (or at least you have to be contributing at Ronaldo or Messi levels to get away with it, which Sanchez is WAY short of), you need to contribute through movement, pressing, off the ball running to create space, etc. For right or wrong, thats what it takes to compete at the highest level now.

I dont think you can keep hiding behind the "amount of games played" line either. For one thing, by all accounts HE HIMSELF insists on playing as much as he can, for example it was him who wanted to be involved V Sutton rather than having a proper break. Which was absolutely ridiculous for both him to insist upon and the club to allow. Plus his physique isn't conducive to putting in the shift top level attackers in succesful teams need - he's way too bulky, suitable for explosive movement rather than the rigours required at Arsenal. Maybe at a counter attacking team he (and the team) would thrive where he could just hang on the shoulder of the last defender and then explode into action a few times a game?

If Wenger is so weak as to not tell a player he's not going to be used in a largely meaningless cup game he shouldn't be in charge. It's not really even just about the amount of games he's played though, he hasn't had a proper summer break since 2013 and won't this year as the Confederations Cup is to be played. He's basically finishing international tournaments and then going straight back into competitive footie with Arsenal about 3 or 4 weeks later, it's hardly surprising he's not covering huge amounts of ground every game.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:23:32 am by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43581 on: April 15, 2017, 10:29:04 am »
If Wenger is so weak as to not tell a player he's not going to be used in a largely meaningless cup game he shouldn't be in charge. It's not really even just about the amount of games he's played though, he hasn't had a proper summer break since 2013 and won't this year as the Confederations Cup is to be played. He's basically finishing international tournaments and then going straight back into competitive footie with Arsenal about 3 or 4 weeks later, is it any wonder he's not covering huge amounts of ground every game?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that the only reason he runs so little is because of the lack of summer breaks (I dont actually think that is the only reason, I think is physique is a bigger factor, but lets assume what your saying is right) - it still doesn't matter. All that matters is that he's not contributing enough to Arsenal through off the ball movement, pressing etc. The why still doesnt matter. It's just not worth it for Arsenal to spend so much on a player who'll carry on doing it - he's got the Confeds Cup this year, World Cup next year. Why would Arsenal want to break their wage structure and pay £300k/week for a player who's letting his Arsenal game suffer to be a hero for Chile? Just not worth it for Arsenal.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43582 on: April 15, 2017, 10:29:19 am »
Funnily enough, exactly what I came on to say about him joining us.

I had a look around a few different forums and there seems to be a mixed bag of opinions. Some say he's quite average, others say he's really good and had a bit of a breakout season. Some say he's poor going forward but strangely he's been employed as a wingback most recently and has the best goals / assist stats for a defender in the league.

The main thing everyone agrees on is that he's strong, aggressive and a bit of a fighter. Qualities I think everyone will agree that we lack. I won't be upset if it's a sign of more of the qualities we are looking for this summer, we have small technical players coming out our ears!

To be fair the quality of player you sign is largely irrelevant these days isn't it? Wenger could sign Messi and Suarez and you'd be scrapping for 4th. He could sign Gaston Ramirez and Alvaro Negredo and you'd be scrapping for 4th  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:31:12 am by Gerry Attrick »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43583 on: April 15, 2017, 11:12:07 am »
Wonder if Sanchez likes the idea of their new left back Kolasinac being on same wages as him.

Good signing btw.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43584 on: April 15, 2017, 11:28:40 am »
We know that we will win the league under Klopp very soon. You know that you will never win the league under Wenger again.

Like I said, we are not in the same position.
I wonder how many times that has been said for 28 years. Regarding the signing, it means Gibbs is on his way out. I think we will find out what Wenger is doing once City beat us at Wembley since top 4 is gone.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43585 on: April 15, 2017, 11:40:32 am »
I wonder how many times that has been said for 28 years. Regarding the signing, it means Gibbs is on his way out. I think we will find out what Wenger is doing once City beat us at Wembley since top 4 is gone.

I think it's fairly obvious he's staying now. Would you be signing players if he wasn't going to sign a new deal?

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43586 on: April 15, 2017, 11:48:56 am »
He's already signed it, just waiting for the right moment to come out with it.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43587 on: April 15, 2017, 11:53:46 am »
If he had signed it it would have come out by now by the club. The international break would have been perfect time for it. I don't think he has signed it. If he has signed it then why did Gazidis talk about 'catalyst' for change?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #43588 on: April 15, 2017, 11:59:07 am »

As ever the summer will prove it one way or another. Recently many Liverpool journalists who have connections with the club, have said he will get substantial funds to spend. Should that happen and we get in the players we need, there is no reason to suppose we won't make the next step up. Just because we've been disappointed before, doesn't mean it will happen again.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43589 on: April 15, 2017, 12:33:19 pm »
To be fair the quality of player you sign is largely irrelevant these days isn't it? Wenger could sign Messi and Suarez and you'd be scrapping for 4th. He could sign Gaston Ramirez and Alvaro Negredo and you'd be scrapping for 4th  ;D

True. At least it might make a change from being bullied off the ball from the likes of Raheem Sterling mind you.

As ever the summer will prove it one way or another. Recently many Liverpool journalists who have connections with the club, have said he will get substantial funds to spend. Should that happen and we get in the players we need, there is no reason to suppose we won't make the next step up. Just because we've been disappointed before, doesn't mean it will happen again.

Our motto for the last 13 years!  ;D

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43590 on: April 15, 2017, 12:36:38 pm »
I haven't really watched the Bundesliga beyond Dortmund and Bayern this season.

Has he improved his decision making regarding tackling? Or does he still rush into challenges?

Still rash in challenges, and very injury prone, he's done his ACL already in his career. Imo he's no better than Milner as fullback

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43591 on: April 15, 2017, 01:00:36 pm »
Still rash in challenges, and very injury prone, he's done his ACL already in his career. Imo he's no better than Milner as fullback

A Milner that's 7 years younger isn't such a bad thing. Plus Milner's biggest issue is that he really doesn't use his left foot much, it has limited him offensively for large stretches this season.

But you're right, the ACL tear is an issue. Though it seems that he's been getting back into form this season, staying relatively healthy. It could still be a long term liability issue however with his past injuries.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #43592 on: April 15, 2017, 04:56:58 pm »
Someone told me that that Graeme Kelly guy on Twitter and Anfield Index, has said that Oxlade to Liverpool is done. No info on the fee.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #43593 on: April 15, 2017, 05:13:06 pm »
Someone told me that that Graeme Kelly guy on Twitter and Anfield Index, has said that Oxlade to Liverpool is done. No info on the fee.

No  :'(

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43594 on: April 15, 2017, 05:20:34 pm »
I don't miss the endless "bottler" debates in this thread but it is sad to see the Arsenal lot so broken.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43595 on: April 15, 2017, 05:46:32 pm »

If it's for anything over £20m we've been had. 1 year left on contract and wants to leave, also Injury prone and barely scores.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #43596 on: April 15, 2017, 05:50:30 pm »
If it's for anything over £20m we've been had. 1 year left on contract and wants to leave, also Injury prone and barely scores.

Agreed.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43597 on: April 15, 2017, 05:51:35 pm »
If were paying anything less than £25 million, it could prove the be a very good signing because he does have the talent to be an excellent player.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43598 on: April 15, 2017, 05:51:37 pm »
:D Hopefully so. Now to sell a number of others who aren't up to it.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43599 on: April 15, 2017, 05:54:36 pm »
Anything over 15 mill, and we are insane. He hs ability but he is massively injury prone and has year left on his contract.