Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5787990 times)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #43480 on: April 13, 2017, 02:57:57 pm »
ArsenalCentral‏ @AFCCentralHQ

According to @alandavies1 on @yellowbootson podcast, Bould threw a bottle at Ozil in the dressing room at Bayern. #afc

Maybe trying to instill some bottle in him!

Judging by the performance at Palace it didnt work, might need at least a 6 pack thrown at him.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43481 on: April 13, 2017, 02:59:05 pm »
Re Ox, I wouldn't say no if the price was right.  It's all about boosting squad depth for us at the moment.  Even if you don't see him as a first team regular you have to ask if he would be an improvement on some of our existing squad players.  You also have to ask yourself if he would improve in a Klopp managed, hungry Liverpool side.

If we're looking to bring in players in the £30m-£45m bracket for the first team, then we wont be getting more than three or four players.  That might be a step up quality wise on what we've got, but overall our squad depth would remain relatively weak and continue to leave us vulnerable re injuries etc.

Arsenal got him for around £15m and he's been there for six years.  His career has been blighted by injury which has hampered his development, but perhaps the worst is behind him on that front now.  I don't know how long he has left on his contract but if he's in the last year he could be worth a punt, if only to shore up our squad depth.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43482 on: April 13, 2017, 03:22:02 pm »
Re Ox, I wouldn't say no if the price was right.  It's all about boosting squad depth for us at the moment.  Even if you don't see him as a first team regular you have to ask if he would be an improvement on some of our existing squad players.  You also have to ask yourself if he would improve in a Klopp managed, hungry Liverpool side.

If we're looking to bring in players in the £30m-£45m bracket for the first team, then we wont be getting more than three or four players.  That might be a step up quality wise on what we've got, but overall our squad depth would remain relatively weak and continue to leave us vulnerable re injuries etc.

Arsenal got him for around £15m and he's been there for six years.  His career has been blighted by injury which has hampered his development, but perhaps the worst is behind him on that front now.  I don't know how long he has left on his contract but if he's in the last year he could be worth a punt, if only to shore up our squad depth.

The price is basically the main issue. For that money, we could probably get a guaranteed starter. BUT as a player in itself, he makes perfect sense. Pacey, skillful and can play left, right or centre midfield. We'll 100% need squad depth for European football next season. Oxlade-Chamberlain is the right kind of squad depth you want. He's not kind of guy you want in a two in midfield, but in rotation with Lallana and Gini? Seems perfectly good to me, particularly as he seems one of the few Arsenal capable of getting about the pitch.

Personally, i think he's been poorly managed by Wenger and not backed by Wenger as a young player. I don't remember him getting a real run of starts in one position, even though in this second half of the season, he's been one of Arsenal's bright sparks.

Looking at what Klopp has done with Gini and Lallana would make me get behind this signing as it seems to be a position that Klopp knows what he wants and knows exactly how to get it across to his players.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43483 on: April 13, 2017, 03:50:53 pm »
We should have made the Sanchez contract offer when we still had something to play for, he would've been much more inclined to sign it then. Still it's huge money and is a sign that the undoubted failure of finishing outside the top 4 is waking a few people up.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #43484 on: April 13, 2017, 03:51:53 pm »

According to @alandavies1 on @yellowbootson podcast, Bould threw a bottle at Ozil in the dressing room at Bayern. #afc

Wonder if he saw it coming?
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #43485 on: April 13, 2017, 03:53:29 pm »

Because he lacks bottle?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43486 on: April 13, 2017, 04:25:51 pm »
He has nowhere near the numbers of Wijnaldum or Lallana either, Wijnaldum is a much more technically gifted player than him IMO and Lallana is the guy in charge of the press and I don't trust Ox to fill that spot.

For me we should be targetting better for £35m, and if we sign players like Ox we shouldn't complain about luck when we have another injury crisis

We wouldn't be talking about a figure in that region though, especially since his contract is up in 14 months.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43487 on: April 13, 2017, 04:34:28 pm »
We should have made the Sanchez contract offer when we still had something to play for, he would've been much more inclined to sign it then. Still it's huge money and is a sign that the undoubted failure of finishing outside the top 4 is waking a few people up.
Arsenal is absolutely loaded with cash in the bank. Some people would be shocked at the amount of money 'stashed' away.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43488 on: April 13, 2017, 05:13:41 pm »

oh no, not a bottle
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43489 on: April 13, 2017, 05:21:04 pm »
We wouldn't be talking about a figure in that region though, especially since his contract is up in 14 months.

With so little left on his contract and the fact he's not a first team regular he might go for not much more than what Arsenal actually paid for him.  Maybe as little as £15-£18m.  Anything over £20m and I'd consider looking elsewhere.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline zanwalk

• Main Stander
« Reply #43490 on: April 13, 2017, 06:13:39 pm »
Maybe trying to instill some bottle in him!

Judging by the performance at Palace it didnt work, might need at least a 6 pack thrown at him.

:D  :D :D

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43491 on: April 13, 2017, 09:04:05 pm »
For those that have been to The Emirates, are there any pubs or attractions worth visiting before the match?

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #43492 on: April 13, 2017, 09:11:27 pm »
For those that have been to The Emirates, are there any pubs or attractions worth visiting before the match?
The old Highbury is quite cool to sneak into if somebody opens one of the electric gates as you're passing (easier than you might think, they open and close all the time).  The time we nipped in there was one big LFC flag covering one set of balcony windows, and no indication that Arsenal had had anything to do with the place.

Online TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #43493 on: April 13, 2017, 09:29:17 pm »
Could see Ox being a good squad player for us. Could fill in across many of the front 6 spots, for less than £20m and assuming we get another top wide forward I would be happy with that.

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43494 on: April 13, 2017, 09:50:12 pm »
The old Highbury is quite cool to sneak into if somebody opens one of the electric gates as you're passing (easier than you might think, they open and close all the time).  The time we nipped in there was one big LFC flag covering one set of balcony windows, and no indication that Arsenal had had anything to do with the place.

Hah, cheers! Thought it was fully demolished, or converted to residences by now. Will have to look into it!

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #43495 on: April 13, 2017, 10:01:55 pm »
Hah, cheers! Thought it was fully demolished, or converted to residences by now. Will have to look into it!
It is four long blocks of flats, around a garden where the pitch was.  It's pretty well done to be fair to them, but kind of sad too.  I think there are various details from the old stadium left around, but I didn't really think to look closely.

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #43496 on: April 13, 2017, 10:08:18 pm »
Could see Ox being a good squad player for us. Could fill in across many of the front 6 spots, for less than £20m and assuming we get another top wide forward I would be happy with that.

That's my view, too. Anything for £20m or less would be a good deal.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #43497 on: April 14, 2017, 12:55:22 am »
Did Adams intercept?

"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #43498 on: April 14, 2017, 05:18:03 am »

Apparently they are going to create a new position in their hierarchy. Marc Overmars is being rumored to be on the list for Director of Football.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #43499 on: April 14, 2017, 06:32:46 am »
That's my view, too. Anything for £20m or less would be a good deal.
Well we sold Ibe for 15m and here we are expecting to sign Ox for around the same figure. I think if we are in for him it will be around 20 to 25m not less than that. If Jurgen requires him, then price shouldn't be a matter. Personally I think Jurgen wouldn't sign anyone who he thinks are over priced
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43500 on: April 14, 2017, 09:09:15 am »
Apparently they are going to create a new position in their hierarchy. Marc Overmars is being rumored to be on the list for Director of Football.
Wasn't there a report recently about how terrible Ajax's recruitment and other off field football stuff were?

Yeah found it, there's a translation of it in here: https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/3srfx7/report_ling_about_ajaxs_problems_translated_to/

Overmars doesn't come out of it looking good. 

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:18:31 am by Chris~ »

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43501 on: April 14, 2017, 10:43:12 am »
Well we sold Ibe for 15m and here we are expecting to sign Ox for around the same figure. I think if we are in for him it will be around 20 to 25m not less than that. If Jurgen requires him, then price shouldn't be a matter. Personally I think Jurgen wouldn't sign anyone who he thinks are over priced

I am not sure. I think a lot of people would have considered £25 million for Wijnaldum overpriced, but it was the player Klopp wanted and he has slotted in perfectly. Maybe he has a specific plan for Ox who knows.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43502 on: April 14, 2017, 11:20:46 am »
Steve Bould should be going round pinning the stuff coming out of the likes of Graham Roberts onto the dressing room wall to try & get a reaction out of the players. Wenger probably won't allow him to do so mind you.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43503 on: April 14, 2017, 11:43:16 am »
The Ox stuff isn't from a reliable Liverpool journalist, it's from James Ducker. It never has been, in January it was from London journalists again. Sounds like agent nonsense to me to be honest

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43504 on: April 14, 2017, 12:07:11 pm »
Steve Bould should be going round pinning the stuff coming out of the likes of Graham Roberts onto the dressing room wall to try & get a reaction out of the players. Wenger probably won't allow him to do so mind you.
If someone tells this Arsenal team they're shit, you're more likely to see them crying, moping around and wanting out rather than coming up with a strong reaction.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43505 on: April 14, 2017, 01:07:07 pm »

That Graham Roberts is a right gobshite. Said some stuff about us in the past.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #43506 on: April 14, 2017, 01:09:59 pm »

They've so little bottle it would probably make half of them break down into quivering wreaks.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43507 on: April 14, 2017, 01:14:28 pm »
New players come in and go out and the same issue remains. Its down to the manager.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #43508 on: April 14, 2017, 01:29:31 pm »
The sense of entitlement from Arsenal players were unbelievable. They used to start well, have one bad month, then raise their games until the end of the season but not this time. They started well, then collapsed and never got back on their feet.

I watched the Arsenal players strolling around game against Crystal Palace and it was shameful. Walcott can talk all the talk but he is not showing it on the pitch. And like Wiltshire, his improvement since joining Arsenal has been minuscule. Sanchez has basically stopped playing with others and try to do it all on his own.  Their selfie culture is an embarrassment and a parody of the club. Who gives a shit about your holidays and what you cooked for dinner, turn up for work you lazy bunch of shit.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43509 on: April 14, 2017, 01:58:34 pm »
They've so little bottle it would probably make half of them break down into quivering wreaks.

If someone tells this Arsenal team they're shit, you're more likely to see them crying, moping around and wanting out rather than coming up with a strong reaction.

This is what is different this time. We've had terrible results before, poor patches in general but we always seem to knuckle down, tighten up & fight back. It's obvious that in the main it's a mentality thing, we can go half a season or a calendar year almost where results wise we are the up there right at the very top of the table, so despite how we've played the last couple of months, we haven't just turned into a rotten team that won't do anything in the future.

That's what gives me hope, that whatever the outcome of Wenger staying or going, once it is settled either way we can still knuckle down & become somewhat competitive again. All this talk about shifting powers in North London, or we'll struggle to make top 4 for years if we miss out is all a bit premature in my opinion, again regardless of who the manager is. Sure, there are likely to be some big changes, but lets just see the outcome of those & how it pans out the start of next season before making any bold statements.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:00:17 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #43510 on: April 14, 2017, 02:04:15 pm »
They'll probably get fourth after all this..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43511 on: April 14, 2017, 02:10:52 pm »
This will do us a lot of good, everyone else has been trying to improve while we happily stand still doing the same thing every year. Even the fans had up to this point been reluctant to have a go at the players. Partly because some solely blame Wenger, and partly because it doesn't feel right to turn on players who get top 4 every season and win the odd trophy, something other big clubs fans would see as a very good season. The penny has finally dropped. We have pretty much hit rock bottom, 7th in a 7 team league. Players, board, as well as manager have nowhere to hide.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43512 on: April 14, 2017, 02:54:26 pm »
The sense of entitlement from Arsenal players were unbelievable. They used to start well, have one bad month, then raise their games until the end of the season but not this time. They started well, then collapsed and never got back on their feet.

I watched the Arsenal players strolling around game against Crystal Palace and it was shameful. Walcott can talk all the talk but he is not showing it on the pitch. And like Wiltshire, his improvement since joining Arsenal has been minuscule. Sanchez has basically stopped playing with others and try to do it all on his own.  Their selfie culture is an embarrassment and a parody of the club. Who gives a shit about your holidays and what you cooked for dinner, turn up for work you lazy bunch of shit.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]
Why do people talk about the selfie thing when all clubs do it. I see it all the time from Premier league clubs or clubs abroad. Social media is just part of life now, some people need to just deal with it.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43513 on: April 14, 2017, 02:55:37 pm »
This will do us a lot of good, everyone else has been trying to improve while we happily stand still doing the same thing every year. Even the fans had up to this point been reluctant to have a go at the players. Partly because some solely blame Wenger, and partly because it doesn't feel right to turn on players who get top 4 every season and win the odd trophy, something other big clubs fans would see as a very good season. The penny has finally dropped. We have pretty much hit rock bottom, 7th in a 7 team league. Players, board, as well as manager have nowhere to hide.
I heard the contract is no longer on the table..

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43514 on: April 14, 2017, 03:05:29 pm »
Why do people talk about the selfie thing when all clubs do it. I see it all the time from Premier league clubs or clubs abroad. Social media is just part of life now, some people need to just deal with it.

It's another easy stick for people to bash us with. It's like the 4th place trophy, or the fact we never win anything, both of which haven't been true the last few years, or lack of atmosphere &  tourist fans...which i see at every big club in the country.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:07:26 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43515 on: April 14, 2017, 03:18:54 pm »
It's another easy stick for people to bash us with. It's like the 4th place trophy, or the fact we never win anything, both of which haven't been true the last few years, or lack of atmosphere &  tourist fans...which i see at every big club in the country.

The 4th place trophy thing is ironic , everyone who laughed at us for celebrating 4th is now counting the number of points needed to get 4th place, as if it was a title run in, and looking at other teams fixtures, you really would think there's a trophy at the end of it.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43516 on: April 14, 2017, 03:43:50 pm »
Look at you lot getting all defiant!  ;D

Every team wants top 4, the difference with Arsenal is that that's the goal. For the rest of us getting top 4 is a stepping stone to the goal, it means two things;

1) Doing something in Europe

and

2) Attracting better players so we can challenge for the big trophies.

For Arsenal though those things dont seem to matter, it's as if finishing 2-4th in itself is enough. That's why everyone laughs at you and the 4th place trophy.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #43517 on: April 14, 2017, 03:50:18 pm »
Never forget..

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #43518 on: April 14, 2017, 03:54:27 pm »
oh no, not a bottle
Needs some "bottle", the lad..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:13:29 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43519 on: April 14, 2017, 04:23:11 pm »
Look at you lot getting all defiant!  ;D

Every team wants top 4, the difference with Arsenal is that that's the goal. For the rest of us getting top 4 is a stepping stone to the goal, it means two things;

1) Doing something in Europe

and

2) Attracting better players so we can challenge for the big trophies.

For Arsenal though those things dont seem to matter, it's as if finishing 2-4th in itself is enough. That's why everyone laughs at you and the 4th place trophy.
How many trophies have Liverpool won under FSG? You think FSG give a shit about winning the league? FSG will invest little again in the summer and lose out in signing the better quality players and end up with 2nd tier players. I don't see FSG going all out to win the league.