Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 591435 times)

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #5480 on: March 22, 2024, 09:40:10 pm »
Plettenburg gets things wrong but he also gets many things correct. No question about that. He seems adamant that Alonso won't join Liverpool if he leaves Leverkusen. I hope he's wrong but let's wait and see. I still think Alonso will decide to remain at Leverkusen.

He probably read this thread and said I need to show them how I work with adversity next season when my team is ripped apart. 

Good advisors he has. Very good.

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5481 on: March 22, 2024, 09:58:16 pm »
Plettenburg gets things wrong but he also gets many things correct. No question about that. He seems adamant that Alonso won't join Liverpool if he leaves Leverkusen. I hope he's wrong but let's wait and see. I still think Alonso will decide to remain at Leverkusen.

I think that whatever real ITK info Plettenberg actually might have indicates that Xabi is staying at Leverkusen. He therefore sees it as safe to claim that he'd prefer Bayern, seeing as he can't possibly be wrong.

In other news, if I decide not to stay at my current job for the next few days, I'll be taking over the role of James Bond.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5482 on: March 22, 2024, 11:49:38 pm »
Can’t help but feel that this is Bayern trying some shithouse tactic to unsettle Leverkusen. It’s not normal to be so public with a manager chase. Regardless, it’s not a good look. If I’m Xabi, their behaviour is turning me off.

I do hope we get Alonso. He’s the only one who will give me any excitement about the post Klopp era.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5483 on: March 23, 2024, 12:14:00 am »
If Xabi goes to Bayern after all this Bayern PR and talknig to the media at all opportunites then he's an idiot.  They are trying to get Leverkusen to bottle it by doing this.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5484 on: March 23, 2024, 12:27:28 am »
Whether he stays at Leverkusen or goes to Bayern is really the same thing for us, we will have another coach.
It could be a family decision, not wanting to move his family to another country, kids schools etc….
I have faith in the Liverpool board to have us the best manager in the Summer.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #5485 on: March 23, 2024, 01:06:20 am »
Whether he stays at Leverkusen or goes to Bayern is really the same thing for us, we will have another coach.
It could be a family decision, not wanting to move his family to another country, kids schools etc….
I have faith in the Liverpool board to have us the best manager in the Summer.
Let's face it, Xabi and his family have been living in Germany for 10 years now (with a short break back to Spain), who knows how settled his family are with schools, friends, language etc. These things matter, especially for a good man like Xabi. It's his choice, his heart may well pull our way but he has one kid who spent 1 year in England and the 3 kids are probably fluent in Spanish and German.
I'd love him to come but if he chooses differently, that's up to him.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5486 on: March 23, 2024, 02:04:36 am »
Yeah if Alonso didn't exist Amorim would not only be first choice but someone we should be very excited about... he ticks all the boxes- taken a club to beat bigger rivals and end a title drought, amazing underlying numbers etc etc .. there's a more than decent chance he's a better coach than Alonso - impossible to say - but he's a super credible choice.

Could you say more about numbers and other reasons? When Klopp leaving was first announced, you said the shortlist should only contain Alonso. Seems you've changed your mind.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5487 on: March 23, 2024, 03:51:17 am »
Let's face it, Xabi and his family have been living in Germany for 10 years now (with a short break back to Spain), who knows how settled his family are with schools, friends, language etc. These things matter, especially for a good man like Xabi. It's his choice, his heart may well pull our way but he has one kid who spent 1 year in England and the 3 kids are probably fluent in Spanish and German.
I'd love him to come but if he chooses differently, that's up to him.
Wrong. He's spent just 4.5 years out of the last 10 in Germany, 2014-17 in Munich when he retired from playing, and late 2022 to present in Leverkusen (some 600km away up north). A couple of years at Real Madrid's academy to earn his UEFA Pro License and then back to Sociedad before COVID. Hardly "a short break" in Spain.

His kids - used to moving - will be at an international school in nearby Cologne, with Jon about to finish his GCSE equivalents in the next couple of months, perfect timing for an important switch. As a 16-year old Liverpool fan, starting his A-levels in the city would also massively appeal in a cultural sense.

As for mouthpiece Plettenburg regurgitating that shit, just after Hoeness' "Bayern is the measure of all things" boast, well it's as transparent as it is embarrassing. They're sore losers and their arrogance knows no bounds. The perfect culture for Mourinho.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #5488 on: March 23, 2024, 05:09:06 am »
Moving to Bayern would seem like an odd move for him. I get he’s played for them, and it’s less of a move, though Munich and Leverkusen are hardly close, but if you can win the Bundesliga with a team that isn’t Bayern, then it’s a fair bet that you could win it with Bayern so you can only really lose when it comes to your reputation unless you win the champions league, potentially. Firstly, you’d alienate the Leverkusen fanbase and secondly, if you don’t win the league, or even just underperform at Bayern whilst winning the league, and maybe not going deep enough in the champions league, you come away with people having more doubts over your ability.

If I was working at Liverpool, and be asking Klopp to get his agent to flirt with Bayern to distract them in their chase, only to pull out once we’ve locked Alonso down.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #5489 on: March 23, 2024, 07:02:13 am »
If it's not Xabi then I'd like to see Pep given the job. I know he is apparently "leaving" but surely if we offered him the hot seat he'd be keen. Klopp's Paisley, so to speak. You never know.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5490 on: March 23, 2024, 07:35:41 am »
If it's not Xabi then I'd like to see Pep given the job. I know he is apparently "leaving" but surely if we offered him the hot seat he'd be keen. Klopp's Paisley, so to speak. You never know.

I reckon he’s got something else lined up so can’t see that happening at all now. I also reckon part of Edwards coming back is the idea it’s a fresh start from a structure perspective. Pep has obviously had involvement over recent years, quite how much we’ll never know, but my own theory is they can’t offer Pep the job and expect him to have less of a say than Jurgen did. It’s probably for the best everyone has a blank slate and Hughes is allowed to bring his own man in rather than have Pep thrust upon him who may be reluctant to let an ‘outsider’ dictate to him where things are going when he’s been here for a decade on/off.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5491 on: March 23, 2024, 07:53:03 am »
Thought he was going to Ajax.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5492 on: March 23, 2024, 08:26:05 am »
Moving to Bayern would seem like an odd move for him. I get he’s played for them, and it’s less of a move, though Munich and Leverkusen are hardly close, but if you can win the Bundesliga with a team that isn’t Bayern, then it’s a fair bet that you could win it with Bayern so you can only really lose when it comes to your reputation unless you win the champions league, potentially. Firstly, you’d alienate the Leverkusen fanbase and secondly, if you don’t win the league, or even just underperform at Bayern whilst winning the league, and maybe not going deep enough in the champions league, you come away with people having more doubts over your ability.

I don't know how anyone would choose Bayern over us, dealing with that old boys network and the stupid media circus around them. But it's no doubt the same at Madrid, and Alonso's gone to both clubs as a player, so maybe he's ok with it.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #5493 on: March 23, 2024, 09:05:17 am »

Pep's leaving the club. Has been said officially.
Also, has no manager profile to speak of.

He can come back in 7-10 years maybe.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5494 on: March 23, 2024, 09:14:55 am »
Pep's leaving the club. Has been said officially.
Also, has no manager profile to speak of.

He can come back in 7-10 years maybe.

Too massive clubs to choose if he leaves this year or Real next year (if he has another good year at Leverkusen).
He will be given more time at Liverpool, the more romantic option too.
But both Bayern and Liverpool are huge clubs, so family situation will also play a part.
Things will be a lot clearer in the next 1-2 months.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5495 on: March 23, 2024, 09:39:11 am »
Plettenburg was also adamant we weren't getting Gravenberch so I’m not convinced he’s someone to be trusted.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 11:17:39 am by sminp »
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5496 on: March 23, 2024, 09:43:12 am »
Doesn’t seem to be any serial winners around, in 2015-16, we got Klopp, United got Jose and City got Pep.

One of Xabi or Ruben would be great for us. I’ll trust the board and the process to choose the correct manager.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #5497 on: March 23, 2024, 09:51:12 am »
I am FAR from an ITK and this is probably me misinterpreting what was said, but my boss is from a small town between Düsseldorf and Leverkusen. He’s a long term Leverkusen season ticket holder, and his son - now in the US on a sports scholarship for golf - was in Leverkusen’s academy in the same group as Florian Wirtz. My boss knows Wirtz’s father. He claims Wirtz’s father told him that Wirtz was staying one more season because Alonso was and then wanted to follow Xabi wherever he goes next.

Take it with a huge pinch of salt, I’m still feeling the guy out for what he’s like, but he doesn’t seem a bullshitter. What I will say is I’m still unsure if he’s painting idle chatter and wishful thinking as fact or not. I also think it’s all well and good Wirtz saying he’s staying, but Alonso probably won’t have told the team his intentions because it would prove a distraction, and if a club comes in with £100m for Wirtz, he’ll have little say in whether he’s there another year or not.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Cesar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5498 on: March 23, 2024, 12:03:00 pm »
It’s from today. Hopefully it’s bollocks

https://x.com/imiasanmia/status/1771221288759054741?s=46

No negotiations,  no talks and no approach, but other than that he's deffo going to Bayern?

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #5499 on: March 23, 2024, 12:09:14 pm »
Plettenburg was also adamant we weren't getting Gravenberch so I’m not convinced he’s someone to be trusted.

He also said last June that Kane was too expensive for Bayern and they were looking at getting Havertz. We all know how that ended. I have no doubt, that he has his sources, but that doesn't mean they won't be using him to get their message out. It won't matter to him whether he's getting played as long as he gets some real info that allows him to break stuff like what happened later in the Kane-deal.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5500 on: March 23, 2024, 12:36:40 pm »

i will wait for what Joyce/Ornstein say on the manager topic before leaping to any conclusions

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5501 on: March 23, 2024, 01:15:22 pm »
Never liked Alonso anyway.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5502 on: March 23, 2024, 01:29:56 pm »
I am FAR from an ITK and this is probably me misinterpreting what was said, but my boss is from a small town between Düsseldorf and Leverkusen. He’s a long term Leverkusen season ticket holder, and his son - now in the US on a sports scholarship for golf - was in Leverkusen’s academy in the same group as Florian Wirtz. My boss knows Wirtz’s father. He claims Wirtz’s father told him that Wirtz was staying one more season because Alonso was and then wanted to follow Xabi wherever he goes next.

Take it with a huge pinch of salt, I’m still feeling the guy out for what he’s like, but he doesn’t seem a bullshitter. What I will say is I’m still unsure if he’s painting idle chatter and wishful thinking as fact or not. I also think it’s all well and good Wirtz saying he’s staying, but Alonso probably won’t have told the team his intentions because it would prove a distraction, and if a club comes in with £100m for Wirtz, he’ll have little say in whether he’s there another year or not.

Think you're right in the Alonso won't have told the team what he's going to do - if he does, he might just as well do a press conference. Also there's little linguistically between "he is staying another year, so am I", and "if he's staying another year", and as you said, wishful thinking can skew those words easily.

I can't see Alonso staying there another year, unless he really doesn't fancy the job here. We tend to keep our managers for a while, and it might be another decade until it'll become available again. I also think that even though following Klopp is hard, other conditions are quite favourable for a new manager. We have a good, young team, and though some important senior players are on the way out soon, it's not a massive rebuild. And even though expectations are high, we'll give a new manager time, both because it's the right thing to do, but also because we've had recent success, and the pressure to deliver a league title is perhaps a bit less than it was a few years ago.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5503 on: March 23, 2024, 01:58:00 pm »
Think you're right in the Alonso won't have told the team what he's going to do - if he does, he might just as well do a press conference. Also there's little linguistically between "he is staying another year, so am I", and "if he's staying another year", and as you said, wishful thinking can skew those words easily.

I can't see Alonso staying there another year, unless he really doesn't fancy the job here. We tend to keep our managers for a while, and it might be another decade until it'll become available again. I also think that even though following Klopp is hard, other conditions are quite favourable for a new manager. We have a good, young team, and though some important senior players are on the way out soon, it's not a massive rebuild. And even though expectations are high, we'll give a new manager time, both because it's the right thing to do, but also because we've had recent success, and the pressure to deliver a league title is perhaps a bit less than it was a few years ago.

Optimistic to think its a decade that the next manager vacancy at ours comes around. Good chance that provided Alonso still does well that the role could be available in 4-5 years.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5504 on: March 23, 2024, 02:29:19 pm »
Optimistic to think its a decade that the next manager vacancy at ours comes around. Good chance that provided Alonso still does well that the role could be available in 4-5 years.

Yep, we've had 8 managers in the last 32 years
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5505 on: March 23, 2024, 02:35:21 pm »
Somethings been pointed out last couple of day but Torres has been all over our social media platforms.  It's weird as they never do that for ex players. Maybe he might be coming back as an Assistant?

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5506 on: March 23, 2024, 02:36:22 pm »

Bayern have had 25 in that time.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5507 on: March 23, 2024, 02:48:01 pm »

And thats if the manager does well. I very much Alonso will think if I dont take the job now that it will be another 10 years he gets that chance. He is only young himself so he will be plenty sure that the opportunity arises again possibly even very soon.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5508 on: March 23, 2024, 03:01:53 pm »
If you’re going to talk to managers, now is the time as it’s the international break.
But everything will be out of sight.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5509 on: March 23, 2024, 03:03:39 pm »
As in "all right, out of sight"?

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5510 on: March 23, 2024, 03:20:17 pm »
Somethings been pointed out last couple of day but Torres has been all over our social media platforms.  It's weird as they never do that for ex players. Maybe he might be coming back as an Assistant?

Or it's just because he's playing the legends game for the first time?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #5511 on: March 23, 2024, 03:29:20 pm »
I mean, it's okay if it's Amorim!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 03:30:56 pm by 1892tillforever »

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5512 on: March 23, 2024, 03:31:01 pm »

Or he's one of the biggest names to use for marketing ahead of the Legends game.

Offline **** The Pain Away.

• the cat who went all Yusuf Islam
  • Kopite
  • "We are the real people's club."
« Reply #5513 on: March 23, 2024, 03:38:15 pm »
Is Del Bosque still alive?
Meh...

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #5514 on: March 23, 2024, 03:39:57 pm »
Is Del Bosque still alive?

Bonnet de douche, you plonker.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5515 on: March 23, 2024, 03:44:02 pm »

I think it's unlikely, though he is currently the manager of Atletico u19s, so maybe the next logical step for his coaching career would be to join the coaching staff of a serious senior team?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5516 on: March 23, 2024, 04:50:27 pm »

We do tend to give managers time though, H&G skewed a lot of that, we had 3 managers in 6 months because of them pricks, that is unprecedented for us. Kenny wasn't a long term appt and Jurgen was well on course to do 10 years, so who's to say the new guy won't get 10 years?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 05:47:28 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #5517 on: March 23, 2024, 06:56:24 pm »
Wrong. He's spent just 4.5 years out of the last 10 in Germany, 2014-17 in Munich when he retired from playing, and late 2022 to present in Leverkusen (some 600km away up north). A couple of years at Real Madrid's academy to earn his UEFA Pro License and then back to Sociedad before COVID. Hardly "a short break" in Spain.

His kids - used to moving - will be at an international school in nearby Cologne, with Jon about to finish his GCSE equivalents in the next couple of months, perfect timing for an important switch. As a 16-year old Liverpool fan, starting his A-levels in the city would also massively appeal in a cultural sense.

As for mouthpiece Plettenburg regurgitating that shit, just after Hoeness' "Bayern is the measure of all things" boast, well it's as transparent as it is embarrassing. They're sore losers and their arrogance knows no bounds. The perfect culture for Mourinho.
Ah, right, thanks
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5518 on: March 23, 2024, 06:59:29 pm »
Alonso won’t be discussing his plans with Leverkusen players, so the Wirtz stuff doesn’t ring true for me. But even if Wirtz’s father has the impression that Alonso will stay there for another year, plans can change. Go back a month and Edwards wasn’t coming, for example. But he’s here now and the pieces are quickly falling into place behind the scenes. I think Alonso will come and it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if soundings weren’t taken early in, and a deal all but agreed in principle, awaiting the dotting of the I and crossing of the t once our structure behind the scenes was built out.

The timing of it being announced is sensitive, as both managers, ours and Leverkusen’s, have history to write.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5519 on: March 23, 2024, 07:06:43 pm »
'I hope for him' - Fernando Torres shares Xabi Alonso wish as Liverpool manager.