Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 629059 times)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #5440 on: March 22, 2024, 07:43:16 am »
If Xabi is offered the Liverpool job he will take it, I'm certain. We have one of the best young squads, one of the best academies and (believe it or not) one of the best run clubs in the world football. At no other top club would he be given the time and space to develop a top side and no where else does he have as much credit with the fan base for when he makes mistakes as he would at Liverpool. The EPL is the richest, most watched league in the world with Mikel fecking Arteta currently at the top of it, there's no way Xabi would shy away from that low key rivalry.

I don't understand the idea that Xabi wouldn't move his family from Germany. He's had no problem moving his family in the past when it suited him and it's not like they'd be going somewhere they don't already know. Besides, his house in Spain is getting knocked down by the council. He's still not my first choice but I really hate the self deprecating idea on here that we are somehow less of an attractive prospect than Bayern or RM for this young manager. WE are the top job for the reasons I've already listed, HE would be the lucky one in my view.

That's a bit bloody random!

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #5441 on: March 22, 2024, 08:51:02 am »
Does Xabi speak German?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5442 on: March 22, 2024, 08:55:52 am »
That's a bit bloody random!

Could suggest he's not in any rush to go back to Spain. I'd be fucking fuming if I was allowed to buy a place, given permission to demolish the existing house and develop on it, spending a few million in the process and then 2 years later being told its illegal and needs to be demolished.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5443 on: March 22, 2024, 08:59:22 am »
Does Xabi speak German?

Yes and very well by now - he was giving interviews in German in 2014 after 2 months of lessons and while he says his German isn't so good, he's doing a lot better than most. He's going to be pretty fluent by now.

The first comment says its unbelieveable how good his grammar is and the second says he's speaking better after 2 months than Ribery after 7 years ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9_gI7muUfj4&amp;t=82s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9_gI7muUfj4&amp;t=82s</a>
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 09:01:56 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5444 on: March 22, 2024, 09:54:10 am »
Does Xabi speak German?

More importantly does he speak Uruguaynese? Has to be able to communicate with Darwin.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #5445 on: March 22, 2024, 09:56:05 am »
Yes and very well by now...

Pity.

I don't know why I thought he might struggle a bit. It's Xabi.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #5446 on: March 22, 2024, 09:59:02 am »
Who are the credible alternatives, it seems to be Alonso or Amorim and idk how credible Amorim is, the rest seem underwhelming.

Amorim is very credible, Liverpool would be a perfect step up for him, given the support of
Edwards he'd get with us and his tendency to promote and polish young talent. Perhaps he secures a second league title this spring as well.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5447 on: March 22, 2024, 10:00:14 am »
Pity.

I don't know why I thought he might struggle a bit. It's Xabi.   

If that's not facing adversity - I don't know what is.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5448 on: March 22, 2024, 10:05:23 am »
If that's not facing adversity - I don't know what is.

If the council knock his house down, with him in it, and he survives, only then will he have faced enough adversity to truly manage us.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #5449 on: March 22, 2024, 10:18:43 am »
More importantly does he speak Uruguaynese? Has to be able to communicate with Darwin.

Haha! you're so dumb sometimes, they don't speak Uruguaynese!! They speak Uruguaynesianese

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5450 on: March 22, 2024, 10:32:09 am »
If the council knock his house down, with him in it, and he survives, only then will he have faced enough adversity to truly manage us.
That might not be quite enough adversity for some here.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5451 on: March 22, 2024, 10:33:47 am »
That might not be quite enough adversity for some here.

They'll need to use TNT to demolish it and him to walk out like John MacLean, torn vest covered in bloody
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5452 on: March 22, 2024, 10:36:24 am »
They'll need to use TNT to demolish it and him to walk out like John MacLean, torn vest covered in bloody
Oh come on, Rob. Anything less than a tactical nuclear device just won't cut it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #5453 on: March 22, 2024, 10:58:02 am »
Amorim is very credible, Liverpool would be a perfect step up for him, given the support of
Edwards he'd get with us and his tendency to promote and polish young talent. Perhaps he secures a second league title this spring as well.

Yeah if Alonso didn't exist Amorim would not only be first choice but someone we should be very excited about... he ticks all the boxes- taken a club to beat bigger rivals and end a title drought, amazing underlying numbers etc etc .. there's a more than decent chance he's a better coach than Alonso - impossible to say - but he's a super credible choice.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 11:07:22 am by JackWard33 »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #5454 on: March 22, 2024, 11:43:23 am »
Alonso or Amorim for me. Anyone else would be a downgrade on the two.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5455 on: March 22, 2024, 01:02:17 pm »
I'm clueless when it comes to this so what do you all reckon; Edwards is in since last week (?), Hughes is in as of this week (albeit still officially with B'mouth till June). Right now according to us the main targets are Alonso and Amorim. Both "targets" have historic league winning seasons within their grasp and must be fully focused on the now.
Sporting are a point up and Leverkusen, well we all know. Is it only now we are sounding out possibilities ? At what point do you think someone from Liverpool made direct contact with these managers and or their clubs? Who will have picked up the phone ?
The season is almost over, most times the transfer targets for next summer would have already been sorted (Macca and Dom for example last summer). We have (had) no CEO, Sporting director, manager, assistant manager(s) and Matos either going into next season. The head has been chopped off.
Is it only now things are being looked at ?

Offline Kenny Red

• Anny Roader
  • Don't park your tank on my lawn sunny jim
« Reply #5456 on: March 22, 2024, 01:06:43 pm »
I'm clueless when it comes to this so what do you all reckon; Edwards is in since last week (?), Hughes is in as of this week (albeit still officially with B'mouth till June). Right now according to us the main targets are Alonso and Amorim. Both "targets" have historic league winning seasons within their grasp and must be fully focused on the now.
Sporting are a point up and Leverkusen, well we all know. Is it only now we are sounding out possibilities ? At what point do you think someone from Liverpool made direct contact with these managers and or their clubs? Who will have picked up the phone ?
The season is almost over, most times the transfer targets for next summer would have already been sorted (Macca and Dom for example last summer). We have (had) no CEO, Sporting director, manager, assistant manager(s) and Matos either going into next season. The head has been chopped off.
Is it only now things are being looked at ?

No one knows for sure. Though I'd have thought it reasonable to assume that club (somebody senior) started forming the shortlist and reaching out to candidates via agents back in November, when Klopp informed the club.
Perception is nine tenths of reality

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5457 on: March 22, 2024, 02:02:44 pm »
No one knows for sure. Though I'd have thought it reasonable to assume that club (somebody senior) started forming the shortlist and reaching out to candidates via agents back in November, when Klopp informed the club.

That's my take too. They'll have given Jurgen a few days after he informed the club to reconsider his decision and once they knew he wasn't changing his mind, they'll have started looking for a new manager then.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5458 on: March 22, 2024, 02:32:10 pm »
Our analytics team led by by Will Spearman hasn't leftthough. They'll ahve been doing data analysis on all recruitment targets.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5459 on: March 22, 2024, 02:34:07 pm »
To the person that said maybe Madrid want their version of Guardiola? Xabi is from the Basque country, Sociedad would be pissed off if Madrid claimed him as theirs.  ;D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5460 on: March 22, 2024, 02:35:11 pm »
That's my take too. They'll have given Jurgen a few days after he informed the club to reconsider his decision and once they knew he wasn't changing his mind, they'll have started looking for a new manager then.
FSG will have had a list in place before that, basic succession planning = be ready to act in case shit happens.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5461 on: March 22, 2024, 02:37:13 pm »
I heard that the first thing they did was buy this book and all study it over the weekend.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inspiring-Lives-Remarkable-People-Defied-ebook/dp/B0BZSDR5P6

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5462 on: March 22, 2024, 02:44:19 pm »
FSG will have had a list in place before that, basic succession planning = be ready to act in case shit happens.

True - anything can happen, as we saw with Ged, so you need to be ready -  they probably thought it could be left til 2025/26 though ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5463 on: March 22, 2024, 02:47:06 pm »

We don't know but perhaps we were trying to keep the Klopp news quiet (I assume the players didn't know) and leaked it when we did precisely so we could start sounding out candidates (including Edwards).
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Kenny Red

• Anny Roader
  • Don't park your tank on my lawn sunny jim
« Reply #5464 on: March 22, 2024, 04:11:20 pm »
We don't know but perhaps we were trying to keep the Klopp news quiet (I assume the players didn't know) and leaked it when we did precisely so we could start sounding out candidates (including Edwards).

My theory is he told them in November. Though they give him until January to reconsider before notfying the squad, and thats what drove the announcement timing. Once he confirmed in Jan he wasn't for turning on the decision and once Gordon and co had offered whatever they thought would keep him (player funds, salary increase, greater assistance, sabbatical etc). I'm sure they would have insisted he rested on the decision for a reasonable period, given the magnitude of it.

They would have began shortlisting on paper from Nov, however no agent or candidate would have been approached until he publicly announced it, otherwise at that point it would have got out in an unmanaged way, causing all sorts of problems whether sporting, PR or from a club business perspective. That was why it was important to make it public so It would be known the vacancy will exist, manage the delivery of sad news plus crucially - at that point agents could be contacted without the fear this news would have leaked.

I'm under no doubt that the candidates have been contacted, and they will have indicated thier interest or not at the very least by now, perhaps even as far as a verbal agreement to join, subject to negotiations with clubs to release them and contracts being agreed.

Knowing how shrewd FSG are, it feels more probable than not to me that a select few know who the next manager will be, though until the season finisheses, legal admistraitive matters dealt with , they couldn't, even if they wanted to, announce it until after the end of the season, as thats the earliest point when actual contracts can be terminated, compensation paid and new contracts signed.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 04:22:55 pm by Kenny Red »
Perception is nine tenths of reality

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5465 on: March 22, 2024, 04:48:32 pm »
Alonso or Amorim for me. Anyone else would be a downgrade on the two.

There's whispers that Hodgson is using his contacts at the Garrick Club to get an interview with the club.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5466 on: March 22, 2024, 04:53:46 pm »

The players 100% didn't know. Mo has said that they were called into a team meeting at 10:30am the day they announced it, they never hold team meetings on Fridays so he knew something was going on, but he thought Jurgen was going to tell them he'd extended his contract, they were all speechless when he said he was quitting.

The club did say that they had announced it to allow the search to start, but I took that with a pinch of salt, they were probably worried a journo would cotton on.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5467 on: March 22, 2024, 05:29:12 pm »
I just can’t see how Alonso would be a gamble. There’s a shortage of great proven managers. And in a couple of years the most proven manager in the league might be Arteta. Who knows who City will get when Pep goes. If anything, now’s possibly the perfect time for him to come here.
An Alonso that does this with Leverkusen is a standout candidate in any season imo. What he's done and is doing is remarkable. Experience the only thing that counts against him but when you have this effect on a team so quickly you're not gonna get a chance to get experience before a big club comes in.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5468 on: March 22, 2024, 05:41:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Good chat.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5469 on: March 22, 2024, 05:49:41 pm »
Sky Germany (Plettigoal):

Our clear information is that if Xabi Alonso leaves Leverkusen this summer, he will join Bayern Munich and not Liverpool

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5470 on: March 22, 2024, 06:11:20 pm »

Our clear information is that if Xabi Alonso leaves Leverkusen this summer, he will join Bayern Munich and not Liverpool

It's worth noting that the German media is as much up Munich's hoop as the English media is up Utd's.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5471 on: March 22, 2024, 06:39:36 pm »

Bayern or Sky Germany making shit up again.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5472 on: March 22, 2024, 06:44:51 pm »
Plettigoal is full of shit.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5473 on: March 22, 2024, 06:58:50 pm »
Jurgen’s announcement was in plenty of time so soundings could be taken and discreet moves could be made, all while beefing up the structure at the club.

My take is the deal is all but done, but since both Jurgen and Xabi have history to write this season, the Job in hand for both men is the current season playing out. And rightly so.

Arguably once Leverkusen mathematically win the Bundesliga, an announcement might be made, but even then the suits would prefer to wait.

If it isn’t Xabi Alonso I will be surprised. Bayern Munich seem to be doing their business in public, or at least they are trying to wield influence over what Alonso does, publicly. It seems small time, and strikes me as desperate. My conclusion is we have him all but wrapped up.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #5474 on: March 22, 2024, 07:06:55 pm »
Bayern or Sky Germany making shit up again.

Don't think that the quote is new news. Can't find it anywhere recent. It's what Plettenberg (Plettigoal) has said two or three weeks ago based on fuck all basically. The argument being that Alonso is afraid of following Klopp. First question I'd ask is, why would a manager be afraid of taking over a well-run, fully functioning club from a great manager, but would be completely fine with taking over a club that's run like a corner-shop with players wanting to leave left, right and centre.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 07:08:58 pm by stoa »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5476 on: March 22, 2024, 07:15:45 pm »
Don't think that the quote is new news. Can't find it anywhere recent. It's what Plettenberg (Plettigoal) has said two or three weeks ago based on fuck all basically. The argument being that Alonso is afraid of following Klopp. First question I'd ask is, why would a manager be afraid of taking over a well-run, fully functioning club from a great manager, but would be completely fine with taking over a club that's run like a corner-shop with players wanting to leave left, right and centre.

It’s from today. Hopefully it’s bollocks

https://x.com/imiasanmia/status/1771221288759054741?s=46

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5477 on: March 22, 2024, 07:17:04 pm »
He's been saying the same thing for the past two months mate.  ;D

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #5478 on: March 22, 2024, 07:27:30 pm »
It’s from today. Hopefully it’s bollocks

https://x.com/imiasanmia/status/1771221288759054741?s=46

Fair play, but it's still bollocks, because it's still the same thing he has been saying for weeks. And you don't have to think twice where his "sources" are. Clearly not in Leverkusen and clearly not in Alonso's camp.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5479 on: March 22, 2024, 08:00:31 pm »
Plettenburg gets things wrong but he also gets many things correct. No question about that. He seems adamant that Alonso won't join Liverpool if he leaves Leverkusen. I hope he's wrong but let's wait and see. I still think Alonso will decide to remain at Leverkusen.