Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 619074 times)

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #5520 on: March 23, 2024, 07:12:09 pm »
This doesn't seem right to me. The noises aren't good. Think he might end up showing his loyalty to Leverkusen.

My inkling is that we end up with Amorim.

Another exit in Europe the other week to Atalanta. For some assurance, it would have been nice if he made a run to the latter stages. He's not shown much when it comes to his ability to navigate European ties. A crucial aspect needed in any Liverpool manager.

Not to say he isn't a good manager. We won't fall off under him, but we'll likely have league campaigns similar to what we had under Rafa. Comfortably in the top 4 most seasons, but not quite able to hit the ceiling.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5521 on: March 23, 2024, 07:18:49 pm »
This doesn't seem right to me. The noises aren't good. Think he might end up showing his loyalty to Leverkusen.

Another exit in Europe the other week to Atalanta. For some assurance, it would have been nice if he made a run to the latter stages. He's not shown much when it comes to his ability to navigate European ties. A crucial aspect needed in any Liverpool manager.

Not to say he isn't a good manager. We won't fall off under him, but we'll likely have league campaigns similar to what we had under Rafa. Comfortably in the top 4 most seasons, but not quite able to hit the ceiling.

This is pretty much how I look at it too regarding Amorim, as for whether he actually is the manager next season no idea, still hoping for Alonso personally but would also take him.

European form is crucial for me too, would say though it's going to be hard to make a mark in the Champions League or Europa League even now when you aren't in one of the top leagues, he is only young too of course. I really do want someone who has done it in Europe before though (suppose you can't really count Alonso then in that case as he's not won anything yet). Emery wouldn't be in my top 3 choices but he'd be around my list anyway given his knowledge for winning European ties even if he's never replicated it in the league yet.

It'd also be quite hard though to argue against Amorim even if they don't win the league title this year, because Benfica are neck and neck with them. Sporting are battering teams every week but could still end up 2nd place, not really any different to what we've been through in recent years.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5522 on: March 23, 2024, 09:48:29 pm »

The noises aren't good because there is absolutely nothing coming out from ourselves, which is how it should be.

If Alonso had turned us down for whatever reason, we would have very likely heard something from our journalists because we would want to get ahead of it from a PR perspective. Instead, they all are saying he is our first choice (which again we wouldn't want out there if we knew he wasn't coming). No news is positive as far as I'm concerned.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5523 on: March 23, 2024, 10:52:53 pm »

If European football is a factor then what makes Alonso so special?

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5524 on: March 23, 2024, 11:28:11 pm »

Handsomeness

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #5525 on: March 23, 2024, 11:54:50 pm »
Well, for starters, after his first "full" season last year he took Bayer to the semi's of the Europa League - losing 1 nil on aggregate to Mourinho's Roma.

This season, well he's unbeaten so far ...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5526 on: March 24, 2024, 12:14:05 am »
Well, for starters, after his first "full" season last year he took Bayer to the semi's of the Europa League - losing 1 nil on aggregate to Mourinho's Roma.

This season, well he's unbeaten so far ...

Plus he's a handsome bastard...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #5527 on: March 24, 2024, 12:43:50 am »
Plus he's a handsome bastard...
Of course, that goes without saying ...  8)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5528 on: March 24, 2024, 02:03:49 am »
Loads of chat about Bayern wanting to rattle Leverkusen with the Xabi interest. I don’t see it. They’re ten points clear with 8 games to go. Leverkusen can afford to draw about 5 out of those 8 and still clinch the title and Bayern haven’t won 8 BuLi games in a row since early 2020. They’re not in form. The league is gone for them.

Think Xabi might join them purely because he has good relationships with a lot of the higher ups at Bayern and he probably doesn’t know any of our “leadership” team given how long it’s been since he was at Liverpool and how much things have changed since then.

That said, Liverpool is objectively the smarter choice in my view. Maybe it will come down to non footballing decisions like what his family want and $$$.

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5529 on: March 24, 2024, 03:25:26 am »
I think there’s a good chance it won’t be Amorim or Alonso, and FSG will identify an unexpected option. A bit like what happened with Rodgers.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5530 on: March 24, 2024, 03:40:00 am »
FSG aren't identifying anything. It's Will Spearman and our crack analytics team.  :D

And at thisstage of the process, we'd have already began negotiations. We  basically wanted a new coach confirmed like a week aftr the season ends.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:41:41 am by Samie »

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5531 on: March 24, 2024, 06:12:43 am »
I think there’s a good chance it won’t be Amorim or Alonso, and FSG will identify an unexpected option. A bit like what happened with Rodgers.

The only way we don’t end up with either Alonso or Amorim is if they both turn us down as they are the standout candidates.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5532 on: March 24, 2024, 06:30:09 am »

Might not be them but this is a horrendous take. FSG didnt have things as well tuned as it is now when Rodgers was appointed.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5533 on: March 24, 2024, 06:51:35 am »
Was Rodgers that unexpected back then given who was available for us?

Just looking at some articles from the time Guardiola and Klopp get mentions, but De Boer, Cappello, Villas Boas, Martinez obviously. What a weak lot that was. Rodgers probably ended up being third best from that

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5534 on: March 24, 2024, 07:03:44 am »
The position we were in when we appointed Rodger is far different than the position we find ourselves now. We are hiring from a position of strength. The problem is when you chase top candidates other top teams are also chasing them. We had a clear run for Hodgeson and Rodgers.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5535 on: March 24, 2024, 07:06:35 am »
think Bielsa would be a good apointment but wouldnt be that long term

exceptional job at Leeds & Bilbao

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5536 on: March 24, 2024, 07:08:17 am »
The worry is if we don’t land Alonso or Amorim who else is there? De Zerbi? Ange? Forget Zidane. Inzargi?

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5537 on: March 24, 2024, 07:09:31 am »
think Bielsa would be a good apointment but wouldnt be that long term

exceptional job at Leeds & Bilbao

He’d break the players. That was actually my worry about Klopp before he joined.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5538 on: March 24, 2024, 07:14:20 am »
My inkling is that we end up with Amorim
Sporting knocked out the PL leaders Arsenal just last season.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5539 on: March 24, 2024, 07:25:19 am »
1. Silverware
2. Style of play
3. League performance
4. European performance
5. Tactics from the start and from the bench
6. Improving players
7. Bringing through youth
8. Personality
9. Working with others
10. Ability to delegate

Hard to find someone that ticks all those boxes. Unfortunately, our current manager does but is leaving.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5540 on: March 24, 2024, 08:00:26 am »
1. Silverware
2. Style of play
3. League performance
4. European performance
5. Tactics from the start and from the bench
6. Improving players
7. Bringing through youth
8. Personality
9. Working with others
10. Ability to delegate

Hard to find someone that ticks all those boxes. Unfortunately, our current manager does but is leaving.

Even when there have been managers out there that tick a lot of those boxes, there’s no guarantees they’ll be a success. Look at 7Hag at United, widely considered one of the more promising coaches in Europe to an outsider at Ajax, yet he’s looked miles out of his depth in England. It can be difficult to get a proper read on some of these managers. It was perceived that his Ajax side were free flowing, playing total football (maybe they were with de Jong) but I can recall some at the time saying he was more of a Ronald Koeman, more of a pragmatist. It turns out they were right but all the chatter at the time was he was some kind of Guardiola-type with huge footballing principles and philosophies, when in reality he’s just another Solskjaer, if that.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5541 on: March 24, 2024, 08:01:29 am »
The worry is if we don’t land Alonso or Amorim who else is there? De Zerbi? Ange? Forget Zidane. Inzargi?

I imagine it'll be one of the two.

Really can't be arsed with Nagelsmann or De Zerbi who'd probably be back up targets.

You've potentially got Chelsea and United looking for new managers as well and Barca and Bayern with limited top talent to pick from.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5542 on: March 24, 2024, 08:04:47 am »
Was Rodgers that unexpected back then given who was available for us?

Just looking at some articles from the time Guardiola and Klopp get mentions, but De Boer, Cappello, Villas Boas, Martinez obviously. What a weak lot that was. Rodgers probably ended up being third best from that

I think we actually wanted De Boer but couldn't get him from Ajax. Might have tried to get Klopp out of Dortmund (just won back to back titles) but couldn't.

FSG wanted a young manager to work under a DOF structure and produce a tiki taka style of play. Martinez and Rodgers ended up the two on the shortlist, but Rodgers managed to bullshit them that much with his dossiers and snake oil, that they did away with the DOF thinking they had a Klopp on their hands. A decade on, they've delegated a lot of the football ops to Edwards now, so he'll be overseeing the appointment process.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 08:08:50 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5543 on: March 24, 2024, 08:46:56 am »
I imagine it'll be one of the two.

Really can't be arsed with Nagelsmann or De Zerbi who'd probably be back up targets.

You've potentially got Chelsea and United looking for new managers as well and Barca and Bayern with limited top talent to pick from.

Nargelsmann is a good third choice.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #5544 on: March 24, 2024, 09:05:42 am »
Amorim doesn’t speak English, surely that’s a huge negative

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5545 on: March 24, 2024, 09:06:22 am »

His English is great

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #5546 on: March 24, 2024, 09:10:16 am »
His English is great

Then it’s a big postive , i read he didn’t

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5547 on: March 24, 2024, 09:19:55 am »

He absolutely does.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5548 on: March 24, 2024, 09:41:12 am »
FSG aren't identifying anything. It's Will Spearman and our crack analytics team.  :D

And at thisstage of the process, we'd have already began negotiations. We  basically wanted a new coach confirmed like a week aftr the season ends.
Wonder who Hunters is stalking right now, sipping an espresso.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5549 on: March 24, 2024, 09:42:11 am »

That’s a bit of a big assumption to make. I don’t know much at all about Amorim, so can’t really comment but he will have a much much better squad here and more money, with a good structure and ‘men in suits’ around him.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5550 on: March 24, 2024, 09:53:31 am »
This doesn't seem right to me. The noises aren't good. Think he might end up showing his loyalty to Leverkusen...
I think if he could retain all of his players, then that would make sense. But if they get cherry picked by Bayern and other clubs, wouldn't Xabi be basically starting all over again next season rather than pushing on?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5551 on: March 24, 2024, 10:55:53 am »

Nagelsmann

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5552 on: March 24, 2024, 10:58:33 am »
I think we actually wanted De Boer but couldn't get him from Ajax. Might have tried to get Klopp out of Dortmund (just won back to back titles) but couldn't.

FSG wanted a young manager to work under a DOF structure and produce a tiki taka style of play. Martinez and Rodgers ended up the two on the shortlist, but Rodgers managed to bullshit them that much with his dossiers and snake oil, that they did away with the DOF thinking they had a Klopp on their hands. A decade on, they've delegated a lot of the football ops to Edwards now, so he'll be overseeing the appointment process.

I think De Boer was frankly lying, because he did the whole "Liverpool wanted me but I wouldn't go" if I remember correctly. He then went on to take the Crystal Palace job and last 3 days

I seem to remember back then, the options for us realistically were Martinez and Rodgers, as Klopp was a no go. We ended up getting Rodgers. I don't remember it being particularly left field or unexpected that we got him

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5553 on: March 24, 2024, 11:03:35 am »
I understand Amorim looks very promising but I understand from the stat heads that the underlying numbers are good (Jack and your nerd boner I am looking on your direction)

I am really interested in this so could I see these numbers? I want to properly get Amorim, because at the moment the main thing selling to me is the unknown of him (I don't know if he is an uninspiring pick, unlike most other names touted for the job)

Because my big worry with Amorim is he is a big fish in a small pond so to speak (that's an unfair way to put it, I am just worried about the likes of AVB's display as a manager, or someone like Ten Hag, and how performance in a smaller league translates to the Premier League)

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5554 on: March 24, 2024, 11:07:13 am »
I understand Amorim looks very promising but I understand from the stat heads that the underlying numbers are good (Jack and your nerd boner I am looking on your direction)

I am really interested in this so could I see these numbers? I want to properly get Amorim, because at the moment the main thing selling to me is the unknown of him (I don't know if he is an uninspiring pick, unlike most other names touted for the job)

Because my big worry with Amorim is he is a big fish in a small pond so to speak (that's an unfair way to put it, I am just worried about the likes of AVB's display as a manager, or someone like Ten Hag, and how performance in a smaller league translates to the Premier League)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68368787

This was posted a few weeks back by the BBC which I think is influenced by some data, apologies if you’ve already read it.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #5555 on: March 24, 2024, 11:29:49 am »
And thats if the manager does well. I very much Alonso will think if I dont take the job now that it will be another 10 years he gets that chance. He is only young himself so he will be plenty sure that the opportunity arises again possibly even very soon.

Our job is available a lot less frequently than Bayerns. If he genuinely has ambitions to manage all three teams, then logically this is the one you take when it’s offered to you.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #5556 on: March 24, 2024, 11:35:18 am »
Alonso currently 2.8 on Betfair.

For those not au fait, this means if you lay Xabi for a tenner, then if ANYONE else gets the jib, you get £20. If Alonso get the job, you lose £18.

If you're that convinced he aint coming, go get yourself some easy money for little risk.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5557 on: March 24, 2024, 11:45:31 am »
It can’t be understated that Alonso will have watched us go toe to toe with the financially doped Man City again and again, only to be pipped by a side that’s created an uneven playing field, despite being nearly perfect ourselves and having a once in a generation manager.

And then you have to consider that with the emergence of Arsenal, Newcastle trying to replicate Man City, the inevitability of Chelsea/Man Utd returning to the fore amongst others - the PL is a much, much more difficult league to win than La Liga/Bundesliga. It’s so easy to slip out of that top 4.

And we are a club that will continue to spend frugally, with a transfer budget that will pale in comparison to the other clubs around the top of the table. Whoever takes the job has to do so with the wholehearted acceptance that it will be somewhat of an uphill battle from day one, and success is far from guaranteed. Adversity will have to be embraced.

Considering the above - you can see why there might be some hesitance to take the job when you’re only two years into management, and your other options are 1) winning guaranteed titles and gaining CL experience with Bayern or 2) taking a bit more time to oversee the project at Leverkusen and then managing a super team with the likes of Bellingham, Mbappe, Endrick, Camavinga etc in Madrid…

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5558 on: March 24, 2024, 12:02:19 pm »
Our job is available a lot less frequently than Bayerns. If he genuinely has ambitions to manage all three teams, then logically this is the one you take when it’s offered to you.

There's also the question of whether we'd want him if he did turn us down this time around.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5559 on: March 24, 2024, 12:55:38 pm »
Alonso currently 2.8 on Betfair.

For those not au fait, this means if you lay Xabi for a tenner, then if ANYONE else gets the jib, you get £20. If Alonso get the job, you lose £18.

If you're that convinced he aint coming, go get yourself some easy money for little risk.

I think I will.