Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2817542 times)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #71520 on: February 12, 2024, 04:23:48 am »
Does anyone still have itv on and if so, wtf is that program?  ???

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #71521 on: February 12, 2024, 05:10:40 am »
Yes they still very much get 1 day and some take it on a trip to their homeland.

The NHL has successfully developed an almost mythical fascination with the Stanley Cup, it's like a holy grail and as per my earlier post, no trophy feels more earned than that one coming off over a month of playoff hockey that ends in June... 

It's an insane achievement honestly the battle scars and trials they go through. No idea how they recover in 3 or so months to do it all over again.

My favorite little tidbit about the Stanley Cup is that it is named after the same Stanley that Stanley Park in town is named after (Lord Stanley of Preston)

Also the same Stanley as Stanley Park in Vancouver

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #71522 on: February 12, 2024, 05:16:49 am »
My favorite little tidbit about the Stanley Cup is that it is named after the same Stanley that Stanley Park in town is named after (Lord Stanley of Preston)

Well Im from Liverpool and have lived in Vancouver the last 15 years and never knew that!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71523 on: February 12, 2024, 05:26:36 am »

Lord Stanley Of Preston was also 16th Earl Of Derby, the seat of the Earl Of Derby is Knowsley Hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Stanley,_16th_Earl_of_Derby
#Sausages

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #71524 on: February 12, 2024, 07:29:01 am »
Through this week looked through all the punditry, weighing up this and that, strengths and weaknesses. Talked to guys who had big money on the game, had one around at our house to watch it. When all's said, there's just one thing to keep front and centre: never bet against Mahomes. He was shit for much of the game, his team weren't stepping in for him, then he got the ball back with a chance to do it, and look out. He's from another planet.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71525 on: February 12, 2024, 08:00:18 am »
Usher sounded awful. They should improve the halftime shows.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #71526 on: February 12, 2024, 08:08:21 am »
Usher sounded awful. They should improve the halftime shows.
There was definitely more quality in the crowd
Taylor, Beyoncé, Gwen Stefani, Lady Gaga, JayZ
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71527 on: February 12, 2024, 08:18:04 am »
Usher sounded awful. They should bin the halftime shows.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71528 on: February 12, 2024, 08:50:32 am »
Goodness, just watched it this am on rebroadcast, insanely tense. 49ers didn't take advantage of their dominance in the 1st half and didn't rely on the run enough in the 3rd quarter. Also failed to make a couple of 3rd and 4s (end of the 4th quarter and their possession in OT). Can't give Mahomes the chances they gave him.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #71529 on: February 12, 2024, 08:54:36 am »

I like my explanation better. It's called the Stanley Cup, because in the old days they used a Stanley Knife to carve the name of the winners in it. Funnily enough, the name of the guy who did it (and had to spend a lot of time to get it done, after all it's carving metall with a knife) was also Stanley, so they named it after him and the tool he used... ;)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71530 on: February 12, 2024, 09:02:13 am »
I like my explanation better. It's called the Stanley Cup, because in the old days they used a Stanley Knife to carve the name of the winners in it. Funnily enough, the name of the guy who did it (and had to spend a lot of time to get it done, after all it's carving metall with a knife) was also Stanley, so they named it after him and the tool he used... ;)

And that man who carved the names was... Lord Stanley of Preston

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71531 on: February 12, 2024, 09:04:14 am »
How old is Reid now?  He doesn't look that old, but, I know he is.

Being a 9ers fan, I'm gutted but, also pleased for Reid again.  He cut his teeth with the best and is still part of the great, 9ers legacy.

I watched his Eagles side for many years.  It's nice to see him getting much success, later on.  Having the best QB in the league, helps, of course.

Already, one of the ATG, at 28. Still no win, since 95!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:15:33 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71532 on: February 12, 2024, 09:05:46 am »
Also failed to make a couple of 3rd and 4s (end of the 4th quarter and their possession in OT). Can't give Mahomes the chances they gave him.

This was it for me.

Purdy just didn't come up with one big 3rd-down play. :(

Also, SF was so unlucky on that punt that clipped the lads heel and set KC up perfectly for an easy score. 

As a 9ers fan for 40 years, I switched it off immediately when the clock hit 00:00. Still wasn't quick enough to avoid the camera zooming on Kelce's Singer bird and her entourage celebrating.  Who wants to see the reaction of the best QB on the planet after winning the ultimate prize for the 3rd time anyway?

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71533 on: February 12, 2024, 09:15:17 am »
That was Great game.
Mahomes has won 3 Super Bowl and been down by 10 in all them. he is 5-1 down by 10 in the playoffs since 2019 everybody is 6-48.
The KC Defense is so impressive too.
SF is very good but when your dominating KC(This was early in the game), you need to run away with the points not have them be like 1 or 2 possessions down
Also really sucks how they lost Greenlaw too.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #71534 on: February 12, 2024, 09:18:15 am »
Also really sucks how they lost Greenlaw too.
The Michael Stensgaard of Super Bowl injuries that was
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71535 on: February 12, 2024, 09:20:57 am »
This was it for me.

Also, SF was so unlucky on that punt that clipped the lads heel and set KC up perfectly for an easy score. 

As a 9ers fan for 40 years, I switched it off immediately when the clock hit 00:00. Still wasn't quick enough to avoid the camera zooming on Kelce's Singer bird and her entourage celebrating.  Who wants to see the reaction of the best QB on the planet after winning the ultimate prize for the 3rd time anyway?

Cutting to Swift literally seconds after the game finished was certainly a call.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #71536 on: February 12, 2024, 09:36:04 am »
This is the third time Kyle Shanahan has had a significant lead in a Super Bowl and bottled it. First time as the OC for the Falcons against the Pats and in the previous Super Bowl against the Chiefs....

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #71537 on: February 12, 2024, 10:17:56 am »
The experienced Reid, who won his third Super Bowl title, played down the incident telling ESPN: "He came over and gave me a hug, said ‘Sorry about that".

"He just wants to be on the field and he wants to play. There’s nobody I get better than I get him. He’s a competitive kid, and he loves to play. He makes me feel young."

In his post-match press conference the head coach added: "He caught me off-balance – he tested that hip out. Normally I get him a little bit but I didn’t have any feet under me.

I think Reid handled it so well.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71538 on: February 12, 2024, 10:29:34 am »
This was it for me.

Not sure how he could - our OLine melted and allowed 2 rushers directly at him both times, meaning he had to run backwards and then attempt a pass to nobody free.  The one in OT especially no QB in the league could have done anything with. 

Up until that final OT play, Purdy had easily played as well as Mahomes (Purdy had a passer rating of 89, Mahomes 88 prior to Mahomes driving KCC down the field for the TD) - looked after the ball, threw it well, at no point looked like getting intercepted other then the one time when a diving Aiyuk (I think) dove for it, got both hands to it, then bobbled it .  Mahomes had his int, obviously, but 2 or 3 other times threw it straight towards a 49er who, if they were sharper, could have intercepted it. 

The issue was after his fumble, McCaffrey was easily stopped (he averaged 3.15 yards per carry for the rest of the game, and never made a single run more than 8 yards, and only 4 runs in 20 plays between 5 and 8 ), and our defence caller went to sleep and forgot that mahomes on a 4 and 1/2 will often run, instead allowing him all the space in the world to get those short yards.  That and the missed PAT from our rookie kicker.  If we compare him to the Garropolo in the last time we got to the SB, it isn't even close - Jimmy G had a passer rating of 69 that day (heck, even Mahomes had a poorer passer rating of 78) - in fact, out of Mahomes 4 trips to the SB, in 2 of them he did significantly worse (against worse defences) than Purdy did last night.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 10:33:20 am by Scottymuser »

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #71539 on: February 12, 2024, 10:34:10 am »
And yet after all that on the final drive when Chiefs had to score he got the td to win it. That was real pressure. I had more faith in Pat to do that than Brock

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71540 on: February 12, 2024, 10:43:07 am »

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #71541 on: February 12, 2024, 10:58:42 am »
I hadn't realised that SF won the toss for OT and elected to receive first. I would think that's a mistake with the new OT rules. It allows the Chiefs to have 4 downs in every situation, knowing exactly what they needed to do each time. If the Chiefs had first possession, would they have gone for it 4th and 1 on their own 34? Maybe they would, but maybe not.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71542 on: February 12, 2024, 11:09:32 am »
I hadn't realised that SF won the toss for OT and elected to receive first. I would think that's a mistake with the new OT rules. It allows the Chiefs to have 4 downs in every situation, knowing exactly what they needed to do each time. If the Chiefs had first possession, would they have gone for it 4th and 1 on their own 34? Maybe they would, but maybe not.

The blocked PAT was crucial too, that allowed the Chiefs to go down the field knowing a FG would tie the game up, an extra point the Chiefs needed to score a TD, & would have a different mindset on that final drive in regulation

Niners had the Chiefs at 4th & 1 in overtime, a stop then would have won the game for the Niners, but Mahomes found space to get the 1st down
#Sausages

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #71543 on: February 12, 2024, 11:15:13 am »
Lots of if buts and could have beens. That's sport. I could say the same about Lions v 49ers. Lions fucked up there plenty.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71544 on: February 12, 2024, 11:50:09 am »
Good point, at the time I thought old rules applied to overtime which were 1st TD wins game so wasn't surprised to see them elect to get the ball first . that's the only reason for doing this as your right you know exactly what you have to do when you take the ball 2nd,  high scoring game and maybe they do go for 4th down but not that many TDs in game, makes you wonder.
Chris Bryant

It feels as if the major from Fawlty Towers has taken over the Tory campaign.
10:42 PM · May 25, 2024
·

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71545 on: February 12, 2024, 11:51:46 am »
That was an absolute war between two teams. Both made some very very odd mistakes but only seemed to be punished in the 49ers muffed punt.

Once it went to HT at 10-3 i knew it was the Chiefs game. Too slender of a lead, and the Chiefs could only get better.

Purdy played well but as soon as the run game was shut down it was an uphill battle for him

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71546 on: February 12, 2024, 12:12:55 pm »
This is the third time Kyle Shanahan has had a significant lead in a Super Bowl and bottled it. First time as the OC for the Falcons against the Pats and in the previous Super Bowl against the Chiefs....

It took Reid a long time to win one, too.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71547 on: February 12, 2024, 12:16:54 pm »
Well that's the playing season over until September [pre season is dreadful, the only interest in pre season is the team featured on Hard Knocks] but still load of off field stuff going on, free agency & trades open up in a few weeks, then you have the draft the end of April.
#Sausages

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #71548 on: February 12, 2024, 12:18:06 pm »
That was an absolute war between two teams. Both made some very very odd mistakes but only seemed to be punished in the 49ers muffed punt.

Once it went to HT at 10-3 i knew it was the Chiefs game. Too slender of a lead, and the Chiefs could only get better.

Purdy played well but as soon as the run game was shut down it was an uphill battle for him
that was the crucial turnover due to the field position it gave the Chiefs
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #71549 on: February 12, 2024, 12:20:53 pm »
For a game where the offenses struggled so much, you'd have to say it was still an amazing contest in the end. Not sure if you could call it a classic but was a fascinating game.

Paying for it today though.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71550 on: February 12, 2024, 12:21:24 pm »
It took Reid a long time to win one, too.

Yeah, all those years Reid had in Philly, he could never get over the line, it's only after leaving Philly for KC then drafting Mahomes he finally [like a London bus] wins not 1 SB but 3 SBs in 4 years.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 12:24:43 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71551 on: February 12, 2024, 12:32:40 pm »
that was the crucial turnover due to the field position it gave the Chiefs

Mahomes INT was also in good field position for the 9ers

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71552 on: February 12, 2024, 12:48:43 pm »

there is that, but those losses were to brady and mahomes on the other hand. and on the other side the chiefs have been behind at half time in all 3 that they've won in the past few years.

the opposition is alllowed to play well too.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #71553 on: February 12, 2024, 12:59:54 pm »
Mahomes INT was also in good field position for the 9ers
missed that as fell asleep during the half-time show 🫣
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71554 on: February 12, 2024, 01:10:44 pm »
And yet after all that on the final drive when Chiefs had to score he got the td to win it. That was real pressure. I had more faith in Pat to do that than Brock

To be fair, there are less than 5 QBs in the history of the sport you'd have more faith on that Mahomes - and the SF defence was beat up to boot (losing Greenlaw super early was really important).  It'd be like criticising Suarez at Barcelona for scoring fewer goals than Messi - it is entirely accurate to say that Brock had a very fine SB, and was in no way at fault even slightly for the 49ers loss - and given his performance in the regular season and the last 2 play off games, he is deservedly being touted as the best QB we've had since Montana or Young.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #71555 on: February 12, 2024, 01:19:24 pm »

What do you mean by significant lead with regards to last night's game?

I personally wouldn't call a 10-0 lead in the 2nd quarter as signifncant

I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71556 on: February 12, 2024, 01:20:02 pm »
To be fair, there are less than 5 QBs in the history of the sport you'd have more faith on that Mahomes - and the SF defence was beat up to boot (losing Greenlaw super early was really important).  It'd be like criticising Suarez at Barcelona for scoring fewer goals than Messi - it is entirely accurate to say that Brock had a very fine SB, and was in no way at fault even slightly for the 49ers loss - and given his performance in the regular season and the last 2 play off games, he is deservedly being touted as the best QB we've had since Montana or Young.

This is exactly my take on Purdy - which people cannot comprehend as they think its a dig at him. He is a good QB, a very fine QB, but you just never got the sense he was going to make some WOW plays when CMC was getting stuffed and his recievers were locked up.

He deserves to be the starter, and if 49ers keep that offence together then he will probably get another shot at a SB or NFCCG atleast.

Can we also just take a moment to reflect on that game winning TD drive from Mahomes. 8/8, 2 big rushes. No debate about refs on his side, just pure clutch

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71557 on: February 12, 2024, 01:24:00 pm »
What do you mean by significant lead with regards to last night's game?

I personally wouldn't call a 10-0 lead in the 2nd quarter as signifncant

it used to be. until the 28-3 game a 10 point lead in the super bowl pretty much meant game over.

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #71558 on: February 12, 2024, 01:24:05 pm »

Don't disagree thought Purdy played well enough. Just Mahomes is another level up

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #71559 on: February 12, 2024, 01:25:54 pm »
Hard one to take last night. Felt like the 49ers had opportunities they didn't take - missed PAT, 3rd and 6 at the 2 minute warning, the 3rd and 4 in OT where Purdy missed Jennings when under pressure from Jones. Then there's the turnovers - CMC and muffed punt return.

I ultimately thought 2 things made the difference: 1. Spagnuolo and Reid were better at calling plays at key times then Shanahan and Wilks, 2. experience of the QBs in certain situation -  particularly Purdy's  pre-snap adjustments of the OL at the line of scrimmage before Chiefs brought pressure.

Last 13 seasons for the 49ers:

6 seasons with losing records and not making play-offs
4 x NFC Championship defeats
3 x Super Bowl defeats

Strange following a team that's boom or bust but the boom doesn't equal the big prize. A little bit familiar of Liverpool in some ways (though ultimately we've managed to get our hands on the big prize)
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.