Author Topic: PL: Vila 3 vs 3 Liv Mart og 2’ Tielemans 12’ Gakpo 26’ Quansah 48’ Duran 85’ 88’  (Read 15634 times)

Online Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
Strange season. We went from conceding first & coming back to win 3-1 regularly, to throwing away leads in games we were comfortable in.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Who analyses an end of season dead rubber like this?! You're all mental. Analysing football has become a parody of itself. Everything has to be over-analysed to the Nth degree because pricks on the telly steal a living doing it, wankers on YouTube, arseholes on Twitter etc...

Fans used to be able to see right past it and just enjoy/endure the footy... now every fan is a nincompoop who feels the need to join in and over-analyse the whole damn shooting match.

As I said, we are in flip-flops mode. Give Jurgen a good send off on Sunday, and stop pissing your pants over a dead rubber.

Really not bothered about yesterday's game but it's the same issues we've seen all season away from home that caught up with us. A lot of the games we've won away have been in injury time.

Our only win away at the top 10 was the Nunez late show at Newcastle. We fundamentally need to become more solid. Similar for me to when Rafa after his first season got the likes of Sissoko, Crouch and Agger in to toughen us up.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
No way Klopp makes those changes if we're chasing the league so it's hard to judge the match because ultimately the game didn't matter. Just insure we win the home game to break the 80 point barrier.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
I think as a team we need to learn to shut the game down once we take the lead and not have so many players ahead of the ball. We're way too open, always.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
We do need to cut out the ability to spark chaos in our own legs and hope in the opposition’s. But you can say the same for most teams, with one obvious boring exception. Although not important result-wise, I worry that games like today play on the mind. Whatever style of play we come out playing next season, I want us regain some control and composure, and hold on to it for a few full games until it becomes routine again. I’m convinced we’ve got a brilliant squad of players. I don’t see the need for wholesale change. We just need to cut out the daftness that, for whatever reason, has crept in.

Anyway, on to Jόrgen’s farewell party. The only thing that matters for the next few days. Let’s give him the send off he richly deserves. Already feeling a bit choked!

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Overall, I think our midfielders are too poor defensively. It cant be a one man job for the 6 to stop everything.
This goes for all of them.

It has all gotten a bit too cute and nonchalant with the current crop of midfielders. There are too many players that dont seem arsed about tackling, like Gravenberch, Jones, Trent etc, plus we have Harvey and Salah who are too slow to even get a tackle in,

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
A nothing game really.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Midfield offered zero protection all game.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
Overall, I think our midfielders are too poor defensively. It cant be a one man job for the 6 to stop everything.

It has all gotten a bit too cute and nonchalant with the current crop of midfielders. There are too many players that dont seem arsed about tackling, like Gravenberch, Jones, Trent etc, plus we have Harvey and Salah who are too slow to even get a tackle in,

I think the structure is off. When there is a turnover we aren't positioned to cope. We create a ton of chances because there are so many players ahead of the ball. We want to be on the front foot at all times but sometimes you need to be pragmatic and have a set number behind the ball in case our attack breaks down. I don't have a problem with our playing out from the back we just need to be positioned better so there are always options for the player on the ball.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jόrgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"

Too many want to attack but have zero interest in the defensive side of the game. If you play there you need both qualities.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan

I think under Slot you are going to see a midfield double pivot that doesn't move from in front of the centre regardless of game state. Our midfield is fluid, too fluid with no set positions.
Also, our forwards don't do enough to stop the balls being played into the midfield. It gives the midfield too much space to cover.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Obviously disappointed with our last 10 minutes, but how can we be critical of other teams being on the beach when there's nothing to play for and we're the same. Other teams are out flying kites in training, Villa had something to play for
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
The excessive changes by Klopp are weird. It's like he is trying to get every single player fit for the new manager.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
For anyone crying about last night...

.. we went into the game with guaranteed 'Champions' League 'Football'

.. we came ouf of the game with guaranteed 'Champions' League 'Football'

The game, like the 'Premier' League this season didn't really matter. I've taken a bit of a step back in the last few days. Why worry? I really need to remember that football is just a game and it doesn't really matter. It's clearly fixed and one of the shittest leagues in the world at the moment.

Enjoy the games and enjoy the goals when they come. Try not to get too upset. Summer is around the corner. Have a Cadburys Caramel and a kit-kat.
The game itself is completely irrelevant but the fundamental issues need to be fixed this summer. They won't magically go away and it's easier to talk about them after a good season.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
For anyone crying about last night...

.. we went into the game with guaranteed 'Champions' League 'Football'

.. we came ouf of the game with guaranteed 'Champions' League 'Football'

The game, like the 'Premier' League this season didn't really matter. I've taken a bit of a step back in the last few days. Why worry? I really need to remember that football is just a game and it doesn't really matter. It's clearly fixed and one of the shittest leagues in the world at the moment.

Enjoy the games and enjoy the goals when they come. Try not to get too upset. Summer is around the corner. Have a Cadburys Caramel and a kit-kat.
I would agree if it were only this game, but our midfield defense has been an issue all season - indeed multiple seasons.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity

Think there’s a personnel issue but also a tactical one.

Not sure how much either is contributing but all season we’ve looked vulnerable defensively.

Would be interesting to see how Klopp would have tried to rectify this in the summer. I don’t think it’s solved by just buying a new centre back and adding a 6. I think there’s fundamentally issues with the system that don’t allow us to be comfortable in games from a defensive perspective. Game state doesn’t seem to matter either. Start of games, chasing games, defending a lead. Issues don’t really change.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
I wish the midfield overload was achieved by dropping a forward into the midfield rather than inverting a fullback but Slot inverts fullbacks as well. Arsenal and City invert fullbacks and look way more solid than us but inverting fullbacks probably isn't the reason we're wide open.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Us being a bit crap is all part of Klopps plan to make the new guy feel less nervous.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
I think we could be more solid but game management has been bad this season especially when defending a lead.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
I fucking hate inverted full backs.  I really do.  I'm not looking forward to next season if Slot uses this tactic.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
I fucking hate inverted full backs.  I really do.  I'm not looking forward to next season if Slot uses this tactic.

Unfortunately, he does.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
Think there’s a personnel issue but also a tactical one.

Not sure how much either is contributing but all season we’ve looked vulnerable defensively.

Would be interesting to see how Klopp would have tried to rectify this in the summer. I don’t think it’s solved by just buying a new centre back and adding a 6. I think there’s fundamentally issues with the system that don’t allow us to be comfortable in games from a defensive perspective. Game state doesn’t seem to matter either. Start of games, chasing games, defending a lead. Issues don’t really change.

I think there are tactical issues certainly but any team with a midfield of 3 slow, weak and small players is going to struggle in this league. Then even when we bring on other midfielders we bring on 2 CMs who aren't great at the defensive side of the game in Szoboslai and Gravenberch. It's not surprising that we didn't absolutely nail the midfield overhaul, you should never be leaving yourself with so much to do in one window. And we did manage to overhaul it enough to get 3rd and get very close to mounting a proper title challenge. But we didn't absolutely nail it. Our only 2 defensively minded summer acquisitions in Mac and Endo are slow, small and weak and one of them is better further forward anyway. Our 2 more attacking minded acquisitions both look, after a season, very raw. Szoboslai has been adjusting to a new position after an initial purple patch. Gravenberch is a project rather than ready to go right now. It would have been far more balanced had we not bought Endo or Gravnenberch (I like them both but the opportunity cost of bringing them in was significant) and instead bought elite level athleticism for the DM.

An athletic 6, Mac and one of Jones or Szoboslai would be a really well balanced midfield in terms of athleticism.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I don’t think our faults are down to just ‘our defenders were poor’. Feels that our problems are systemic. We’re just easy to play through, especially when we give it away. At the moment Jurgen has t got the answers for it, maybe it’s too late in the day and that’s one for the new boss.

Ultimately we should be able to tighten things up when we go again with clear heads next season. We’re still scoring plenty bar that odd little blip a few games ago when we looked a bit out of ideas. It doesn’t feel like we have to change loads to steady the ship. We’re still around the 80 point mark with loads to build on.

The end of season has been somewhere between disappointing and catastrophic depending on your viewpoint but assuming the new man has some bright ideas and an ability to get players on board, then there’s so reason to think it will all just fall apart next season.

Offline Pat The Red

• Main Stander
Couldn't get angry last night,  last 10 minutes were a complete shitshow at the back. 
Can't wait for the season to be over,  don't care about the league. It's either that Prick Arteta and his Shithouse team, or Pep's Oil money gazillionaire funded, 115 charges, Emptyhad Asshats.....
Tuesday night...might read a book.
Sunday, Couldn't get a ticket, so I'm flying off to the beach....our defence is already there 8)

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
Dead rubber (for us) draw away to the team below us in the league who are fighting for their lives, 17 pages with a high proportion of whinging. Nice job RAWK.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
Our only win away at the top 10 was the Nunez late show at Newcastle. We fundamentally need to become more solid. Similar for me to when Rafa after his first season got the likes of Sissoko, Crouch and Agger in to toughen us up.
I know Fabinho quality DMs are a rarity but I'd take a Sissoko in a heartbeat.

These young players need to stop wanting to be the new Messi or Zidane and should have posters of Christian Poulsen and Lee Cattermole on their wall.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
One of the problems with this team is what is our best 11. Allisson, VVD and Robertson. Is it Quansah or Konate as the other CB. Probably should be Trent at right back but does Bradley offer a bit more defensive stability? Macallister is a definite in midfield and possibly Endo but it's a toss up as to who the other midfielder should be. Probably Elliot on performances but we were desperate to buy Gravenberch and we also have got Dom and Jones. . Upfront currently if fit it is probably Jota and Salah at a push. Then any of Diaz, gapko or nunez in the other position. I definitely think overall we have more options in the squad but there are only a handful which i would call guaranteed starters this season - which is completely different from Klopp's title winning side.

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If you didn't find it objectively funny that their score sheet said 'Duran Duran' in a dead rubber game then there's nothing here for you.

This season pretty much died a month or two ago - whether at one of the old trafford games or palace at home - the rest has just been a bit of dicking about really.

Onto Sunday and the hardest goodbye to a manager since I've been going to the game. Good luck Slotty, you'll need it.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
My take is that it’s the players who have let Klopp down cos they knew he was leaving. Contract negotiations etc they are not focussed. I can’t be arsed with them. Carragher talking a lot of shit about Klopp teams being too open. How many prem managers have got 99 points? The blurt.. What was it the Dortmund owner said …sack all the players and keep Klopp.

In the context, Carragher was right as it was based on the performance last night. Our other successful seasons were compact and pressed as a team. I didn't see any pressing last night and if they did, it felt leggy that completely negates its effectiveness.

We were so spaced out that passes were forced to go long and therefore inaccurate.

I understand it is demoralising to lose out in the title run but that happened 2 weeks ago and I am really disappointed that the players have not gotten over it and still feeling sorry for themselves. The fans and Klopp deserve better.

I would hate to see them carry this over to the next season.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Genuinely couldn't care less about the result, I checked out after the derby.

It was a good game to watch though.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
Sixteen pages on an end of season dead rubber. There are many on here who should reevaluate their priorities in life.

Enjoy the end of the journey of the Manager that has returned LFC to super club status.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline baltic out here

• Would you buy a second hand vinyl off this fella?!
  • Main Stander
Is right. Doesn't matter and it was an enjoyable, yet another mental match under the great Klopp, you just have to enjoy it. Sums up how through the great times and the not so great times we've always been entertained. You just never know what Klopp's team might serve you.
In that sense his team was always the most Notorious on Planet Earth, just sad our defence has Come Undone. Just Save A Prayer for the new manager, he has some work to do. Sorry, bye.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Sixteen pages on an end of season dead rubber. There are many on here who should reevaluate their priorities in life.

Enjoy the end of the journey of the Manager that has returned LFC to super club status.
People are quite rightly pissed off because of the way we threw away the game and defended throughout the game. Post games thread will always be governed by how the game ends, regardless of its importance.

Had this game finished 1-1 or even 2-2 there would be far less arguments as we all know the result means fuck all for the season.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Games like this make me miss James Milner coming on at the end of games. That could have been Jordan's role if he'd agreed to stay and accepted he'd be playing less.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
We lack a leader in midfield. Mac is a top player (shit yesterday), but he's not a leader.
We replaced Henderson the player, easily, but not his on-pitch leadership

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to

It's gone back full circle to the Rodgers era, where we only seem bothered about attacking and having the ball, no interest in defending without it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
It's gone back full circle to the Rodgers era, where we only seem bothered about attacking and having the ball, no interest in defending without it.
Exactly. I feel like half our CMs dont want to do the defense part: Szobo, Gravenberch, Jones, Trent (since he is inverted).
Harvey is too slow to even get near.
Endo is good and a natural ball winner, but a bit slow.
Macca is very aggressive, but his style is too risky at 6.

The first group is of course the most annoying, because they have the wrong attitude IMO.

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupι Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
A few people have mentioned the subs and it’s something I referred to in the OP.

Early in the season they were difference makers for us regularly, now it’s the opposite. Not sure if it’s just due to the general form of players or what but the impact recently has usually been to our detriment.

I do think 4 at once is a bit much. 2 and 2 would be easier to cope with. There is still opportunity to do that and have one remaining sub window I think.

I think the first time we went for the mass substitution bringing on the ‘first’ teamers was Toulouse away as the initial eleven went performing at all well. It got worse, albeit we could have scraped an extremely fortunate draw but for a poor VAR decision.

There were too many games were we conceded early/first, looked lethargic and needed some genius or luck to win. That was unsustainable and allied to a pretty rotten away form finishing third and winning a trophy is pretty reasonable.

It’s sad to see Klopp leaving but I think he has made the right decision for his own health and well being. Come August the sun will be shining, the grass will be glowing green and we’ll probably be moaning about our fixture list. ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
If you didn't find it objectively funny that their score sheet said 'Duran Duran' in a dead rubber game then there's nothing here for you.

This season pretty much died a month or two ago - whether at one of the old trafford games or palace at home - the rest has just been a bit of dicking about really.

Onto Sunday and the hardest goodbye to a manager since I've been going to the game. Good luck Slotty, you'll need it.

I was angry about our attitude and how much our players wanted to last night (I wasn’t but bear with me). One game left to put it right, just hope the boys will be hungry like the Wolves will be on Sunday.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Klopp out?   ::)