Author Topic: Champions League, Europa League, Conference League SF 2nd leg 7th-9th May  (Read 18951 times)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I dont think Alonso being at Leverkusen is going to be very healthy for the new manager. Say he has a dodgy start, its one thing fans being agitated, its another thing fans being agitated and having a manager out there who people wanted.
But that's tough isn't it?
Isn't that the sulkiest any set of fans has ever been?
I really don't subscribe to that.

I'm not saying if Xabi went to City at any time I'll grow to dislike him - but sulking now and anticipating dislike now is really not healthy.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What year was it for Benfica? Looking through Benifca's previous seasons I can't see where they'd have gone that many unbeaten. They didn't have an unbeaten league season when or around when they won European trophies.

December 1963 - February 1965
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
So you're hoping that Slot ultimately will be a failure and we'll be able to get Alonso to replace him at some point in the future. Unless I'm reading that wrongly that is quite bizarre.

Its a bit mad people waiting for him though. I mean its crazy enough people waiting for a player for 12 months, but there are people thinking about Alonso joining us in 5-10 years time. Thats a bit mad if you think about it.

Offline KC7

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Should've been us. Not bitter at all.

We were well beaten.

The best two teams are in the final.

That coach of theirs deserves immense credit for the way they play.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
Jesus, some incredible bitterness. I'll be digging some of these posts in years to come when Xabi is at the helm! ;)
Some of our fans are incredibly bitter. Just look at the comments about Mane when he left, that he's not a legend, glad he left becuase he didn't get on with Salah etc.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

I'm not saying if Xabi went to City at any time I'll grow to dislike him - but sulking now and anticipating dislike now is really not healthy.

Its human nature almost, the fear of missing out on what some people think might be the best manager around.

Personally, I always hated the anointed one tag that he was given, so I glad I have other join my club of hate.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Its a bit mad people waiting for him though. I mean its crazy enough people waiting for a player for 12 months, but there are people thinking about Alonso joining us in 5-10 years time. Thats a bit mad if you think about it.
I’d prefer Slot to become our greatest manger ever and for it never to be an issue. However if things align in future then there’s no reason at this time not to hope he may be a future manager.

But only if it makes sense at the time, not because I’d like anyone to fail in the mean time.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2024, 10:28:43 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
I dont think Alonso being at Leverkusen is going to be very healthy for the new manager. Say he has a dodgy start, its one thing fans being agitated, its another thing fans being agitated and having a manager out there who people wanted.
I'd suggest we'll do what we always do, get behind the manager. Those of us who go the game, that is, can't account for online/social media blerts.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
December 1963 - February 1965

Makes sense. Although it encompasses 3 calendar years they didn't actually go a league season unbeaten, which confuses things, or win a European trophy within that run.

Leverkusen's achievement would be very unique if they go unbeaten and win the three trophies. Bayern have won two trebles in the last 11 years but that would top both even without a CL.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
I’d prefer Slot to become our greatest manger ever and for it never to be an issue. However if things align in future then there’s no reason at this time not to hope he may be a future manager.

But thats a bit mad to think about dont you think? Alonso isnt staying at Leverkusen for a third season, it would literally take Slot to have us finish 6th or 7th to even think about. Most likely if we ever go for him it would be in 4 or 5 years time at the earliest and thats if he doesnt go somewhere like City.

Its just so long in the future that I dont even know how most people can even think about such a scenario.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan

You're too old,John. That's the way we were all brought at the game, The Liverpool Way. Unless the club appoints Uncle Roy again. ;D

Offline KC7

• Anny Roader
Jesus, some incredible bitterness. I'll be digging some of these posts in years to come when Xabi is at the helm! ;)

Incredible amount of nonsense spouted, I'll include Ballague on this too (in him saying the manufactured nation state owned club were a possibility).

Xabi Alonso has an enormous connection to this club.

The only way he won't manage us in the future is if we turn him down.

We had next to no chance of getting him this summer as him leaving Leverkusen after just one full season would have been a very un-Alonso thing to do.

When Jurgen made his announcement, 95% of my thoughts were gutted hes going, the other 5 that it's a season too soon in regard to Alonso.

The manager we have coming on I have a great feeling about. His positivity, his attacking outlook, and the players he will inherit, we are talking only one or two major additions to the first team and we will challenge (especially if the charges get followed through on as we expect).

Alonso will be much further down the line hopefully (the further the better as it will mean we have a successful manager at the helm).

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
Unsuccessful in the uefa ballot for champions league final tickets this morning. Gutted for the wife as it looks like it’ll be the 2nd time now Madrid have been over here and she has missed out on going to the final. (We was in Spain for a wedding the year they played in Cardiff :butt but at least I got to take her to the parade the day after )
And Resale sites starting price is £1500 quid so that’s a non-starter.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
But thats a bit mad to think about dont you think? Alonso isnt staying at Leverkusen for a third season, it would literally take Slot to have us finish 6th or 7th to even think about. Most likely if we ever go for him it would be in 4 or 5 years time at the earliest and thats if he doesnt go somewhere like City.

Its just so long in the future that I dont even know how most people can even think about such a scenario.
Xabi’s in his early 40’s he’s potentially got 20 years ahead of him as a manager. It’s not that far fetched to imagine.

But it’s not like i spend time thinking about it, equally not that mad to imagine that at some point in the future it could happen.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So you're hoping that Slot ultimately will be a failure and we'll be able to get Alonso to replace him at some point in the future. Unless I'm reading that wrongly that is quite bizarre.

Do you really think Slot will be with us for longer than Klopp, which is 9 years?

Offline Red-4-Ever

• Anny Roader
Honestly, I'm really delighted for Xabi and I'm glad he decided to stay there for at least another season - it's the right move for his career at this point, shows he's loyal to his team and that he's taken the time to think it through calmly. It all bodes well for his managerial career and then if he ever does take the hot seat at Anfield he's hopefully all the better prepared for sustained success. If he doesn't, good luck to him.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
Do you really think Slot will be with us for longer than Klopp, which is 9 years?
Surely his length of service would be predicated upon the success he and the team achieve.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
Honestly, I'm really delighted for Xabi and I'm glad he decided to stay there for at least another season - it's the right move for his career at this point, shows he's loyal to his team and that he's taken the time to think it through calmly. It all bodes well for his managerial career and then if he ever does take the hot seat at Anfield he's hopefully all the better prepared for sustained success. If he doesn't, good luck to him.

Some balanced sense!

Anything can happen in the ridiculous world of football. For all we know, he could go to Abu Dhabi. Hopefully expectations are managed and if he doesn't end up at Anfield at some stage, there will have been a reason which ultimately meant he wasn't going to be the right person for us anyway.

One thing Klopp has shown us is that getting the right fit for the culture of Liverpool is critical,
JFT97

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Should've been us. Not bitter at all.

We have had a good season but its safe to say we massively underachieved in the Europa League. Atalanta were not that good, we should have beat them and we should be looking forward to a final.

Ultimately, we were shite and we deservedly got knocked out.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
When was the last time a manager rose to such prominence so quickly? Klopp at Dortmund? Mourinho at Porto? If every club had to hire a new manager tomorrow, you'd think only Klopp, Guardiola and maybe Ancelotti would have more suitors than Xabi.

Know that they beat us, but would actually quite like Atalanta to win the final. Leverkusen may already have a double by then, so they've had an incredible season no matter what, while Atalanta have only won a single trophy ever, and have been punching above their weight under Gasperini despite losing key players every year.
Guardiola won the treble in his first season as a manager.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Hopefully if the first season doesn't go well for our new manager, Xabi can be tempted to join us.

And so it begins.

Offline KC7

• Anny Roader
No chance it happens IMO

We made them look so much better than they are.

Yes we matched up well for them in that under Klopp we rely so much on athleticism to be effective, and when that's missing, as it has been for two seasons, teams who are athletic and press us can exploit that. They swarmed all over us from the kick off, and bar Kelleher getting his head in the way of the ball we'd have been behind before everyone had got to their seats. Koopmeiners, who I'm not sure of in terms of how good he is, had a field day up against the 6.

We were ambushed basically. Overrun, overpowered, bullied. Very similar to what we used to do to teams.

The hope is that Slot being a manger whose teams are based on intensity and the press will bring in the one or two players in the weak points in the team so we can address the issues.

Leverkusen are much more methodical and patient in their play so it's a totally different opponent. If they play to their ability they will be too much for Atalanta. It is a final though.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Yes we matched up well for them in that under Klopp we rely so much on athleticism to be effective, and when that's missing, as it has been for two seasons, teams who are athletic and press us can exploit that. They swarmed all over us from the kick off, and bar Kelleher getting his head in the way of the ball we'd have been behind before everyone had got to their seats. Koopmeiners, who I'm not sure of in terms of how good he is, had a field day up against the 6.

We were ambushed basically. Overrun, overpowered, bullied. Very similar to what we used to do to teams.

The hope is that Slot being a manger whose teams are based on intensity and the press will bring in the one or two players in the weak points in the team so we can address the issues.

Leverkusen are much more methodical and patient in their play so it's a totally different opponent. If they play to their ability they will be too much for Atalanta. It is a final though.

Leverkusen are basically another Arsenal or City. Its quite clear that Alonso and Arteta have taken a lot from Guardiola.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Hopefully if the first season doesn't go well for our new manager, Xabi can be tempted to join us.
I think the first season would have to be dreadful for us to give up on Slot so soon, it’s not something we do. I don’t think anyone would actually hope for him not to succeed surely?

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
just watchin Bl v Roma. Footy is fkd. Cheating goalies etc I'm prolly done with footy
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!

It's not that deep, just a nice romantic potential down the road.

Slot still here in ten years with five league titles would obviously be the preference.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
I'd like to see Atalanta win the europa final. Really well organised team punching above their weight. They are tiny club and always somewhat of a feeder club in the past.

I have no sentiment towards Alonso. Obviously he was a top player for us always found the adulation for him a bit OTT. He 5hrew Rafa under a bus and snubbed the chance to manage us so whatever.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
And so it begins.

I'm obviously not saying that i think he will, it's just nice to think we wouldn't be up shit creek if it were to happen.  :P

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
I've just seen the scores. Well done Xabi. Well done Atalanta too.

I'm also delighted that the despicable Roma are out. Villa too.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
Glad Villa got humiliated, couldn't happen to a nicer set of fans.  :wave

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
I'd like to see Atalanta win the europa final. Really well organised team punching above their weight. They are tiny club and always somewhat of a feeder club in the past.

I have no sentiment towards Alonso. Obviously he was a top player for us always found the adulation for him a bit OTT. He 5hrew Rafa under a bus and snubbed the chance to manage us so whatever.
How did he throw Rafa under the Bus?

Offline eddiedingle

• Kopite
Xabi is waiting for Carlo to leave. It really is simple as that.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
We have had a good season but its safe to say we massively underachieved in the Europa League. Atalanta were not that good, we should have beat them and we should be looking forward to a final.

Ultimately, we were shite and we deservedly got knocked out.

We got to the quarters on easy street and then took Aralanta lightly and got punished. Had we scored first it's a different game but conceding first all the time caught up with us.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
What happened to English teams in Europe this season? Was it just bad luck, or is there an underlying issue (perhaps too many games)?

"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Don't live your life like that mate, just in case it never happens.
And if it does happen, you'll have lived a year less of hatred and you'll have eventual good cause to perhaps hate.

I am fucking baffled tonight :D

Fromola expects the worst and plans for the apocalypse.  ;)
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What happened to English teams in Europe this season? Was it just bad luck, or is there an underlying issue (perhaps too many games)?

That's what Klopp suggested, and Neil from the Anfield Wrap in a recent podcast. 60+ high level games is too much (outside of international football). And the uncompromising nature of the UK TV schedule that insist on early kickoffs (for the top teams) after International breaks. In contrast if a Spanish team have a big European game it's likely their domestic game will be played on Friday night giving enough recovery time.
Klopp's point of course that it so counter-intuitive for the UK TV stations to impede the English teams in Europe, they can't think strategically and only think of the next game and the highest TV audience. I can't see it changing. Unless someone like Foden or Rice refuse to play for England in a meaningless Nations League games.

In the same vein it will be tough on our new manager to negotaite the demands of the premier League, the extended cjampions league and the 2 domestic cups.

Online redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
Competing in four competitions is too much for even the biggest squad, especially if you add on three international breaks before Christmas.These involve 8 or 9 games in far flung destinations with a long flight home at the end.Hardly good preparation for an early ko on the Saturday.

Ferguson teams regularly bailed out early from the LC as it’s played mostly before Christmas. Arsenal benefitted hugely from their defeat in the FAC as it meant just one game in that competition. Next season will tax the players even more with two extra group games which will include one extra flight into Europe to goodness knows where.

It’s very short sighted of TNT who own the early ko slot on Saturdays to choose a team involved in Europe to play in it or to not consider how many international players that team have playing around the world. The demise of PL clubs in the CL may continue if more thought isn’t given to player burn out with more matches due to be played.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
TNT won’t change though. There will be what, 7 English teams in Europe next season? If they always chose televised fixtures from the other 13 teams a) viewing figures would collapse and b) you’d potentially only have about 3 or 4 games to choose from each weekend.

The best we can hope for is they share things around a bit more. We’re fucked over because we bring in the most viewers (maybe with United too, forgot they were even in Europe this year, certainly wasn’t an issue for them after Christmas).

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
That's what Klopp suggested, and Neil from the Anfield Wrap in a recent podcast. 60+ high level games is too much (outside of international football). And the uncompromising nature of the UK TV schedule that insist on early kickoffs (for the top teams) after International breaks. In contrast if a Spanish team have a big European game it's likely their domestic game will be played on Friday night giving enough recovery time.
Klopp's point of course that it so counter-intuitive for the UK TV stations to impede the English teams in Europe, they can't think strategically and only think of the next game and the highest TV audience. I can't see it changing. Unless someone like Foden or Rice refuse to play for England in a meaningless Nations League games.

In the same vein it will be tough on our new manager to negotaite the demands of the premier League, the extended cjampions league and the 2 domestic cups.

The schedule is part of it, but Arsenal can't really use that as an excuse. They were out both cups early and barely played in January and had a winter break. Bayern just did a number on them, they aren't great in Europe.

Man United are a shambles and finished bottom of their group - we can thank PMGOL for them being in the CL in the first place to embarrass the PL.

Newcastle - a mix of no European experience (Howe particularly), overachieveing to get top 4 with the squad they have and they also got unlucky with the draw. It was nip and tuck with them and Dortmund/PSG to qualify and they end up playing each other in the semis. Milan the other team in the group.

West Ham - did well enough to get to the quarters. Leverkusen are just a better team

Liverpool - very complacent against Atalanta and got them just when the wheels came off. We were caught cold at Anfield. Also, in reality you have to prioritise. You can't just go flat out in 4 comps. We'd got to the quarters of EL with heavy rotation and not exerting too much energy. Then we couldn't raise the levels needed when they faced a decent team.

Villa - similar to us, they fucked it in the Olympiakos first leg. Maybe took them lightly and caught cold, Olsen in goal hardly helps. I think had we both been home 2nd then those ties are a lot different.

City - it was only Real who were going to beat them if anyone did, possibly Arsenal. could have gone either way.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 10:12:06 am by Fromola »