Author Topic: Jordan Henderson*  (Read 70728 times)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Re: Jordan Henderson*
« Reply #320 on: September 7, 2023, 12:14:48 am »
Here you are Jordan, watch this one you thick bastard

https://youtu.be/f90vwqCYU1c
 It's about 700 miles from your house and you won't see it on your telly

See if you can change their behaviour on this issue 

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/08/21/saudi-arabia-mass-killings-migrants-yemen-border
« Last Edit: September 7, 2023, 12:18:11 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: September 7, 2023, 12:28:50 am »
Black Bull Nova, Liverpools morality Police Chief.  :P
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: September 7, 2023, 12:52:34 am »
Black Bull Nova, Liverpools morality Police Chief.  :P

Brendan “fuck my family” Rodgers likes this.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #323 on: September 7, 2023, 03:15:57 am »
to be honest, I think Henderson could have been replaced by any other workmanlike midfielder. A James Ward-Prowse could arguably do what he’s done from a footballing perspective.

I for one have always been less than blown away by his footballing ability, but he wore our shirt and for that he gets my support. His legacy to me would have been of a player who despite his technical limitations had the leadership qualities to pull us across the line, leadership qualities that stemmed from the aura he created amongst fans that he was a sound human being. It was a feedback loop of positivity, he embodied what we stood for so we stood by him.

Now that the mask has slipped, you may not be able to argue that he wasn’t a great leader while he was with us, but it was leadership built on lies because he was not one of us and did not embody the things we believe.

*I accept that the fan base isn’t a monolith, but LFC has always struck me as a more politically aware club than most, and its fanbase being for working class roots has always seen to be advocates for fairness and social justice mostly due to the history of the club.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #324 on: September 7, 2023, 03:35:02 am »
"So if I wear the rainbow armband, if that disrespects their religion, then that's not right either. “

He’s a slippery little idiot. He hid it well for years, but he’s a slippery little idiot.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #325 on: September 7, 2023, 06:27:06 am »
to be honest, I think Henderson could have been replaced by any other workmanlike midfielder. A James Ward-Prowse could arguably do what he’s done from a footballing perspective.

I for one have always been less than blown away by his footballing ability, but he wore our shirt and for that he gets my support. His legacy to me would have been of a player who despite his technical limitations had the leadership qualities to pull us across the line, leadership qualities that stemmed from the aura he created amongst fans that he was a sound human being. It was a feedback loop of positivity, he embodied what we stood for so we stood by him.

Now that the mask has slipped, you may not be able to argue that he wasn’t a great leader while he was with us, but it was leadership built on lies because he was not one of us and did not embody the things we believe.

*I accept that the fan base isn’t a monolith, but LFC has always struck me as a more politically aware club than most, and its fanbase being for working class roots has always seen to be advocates for fairness and social justice mostly due to the history of the club.

What is the point of posts like this? Whether you like it or not he is part of Liverpool's past just like Gerrard and Fowler who are also in Saudi right now. You can't change any of this, it's pointless going on about whether he could have been replaced, he wasn't that's the end of it. It has to be dealt with. Also players are young when they enter football but once they get onto the range of money they earn, it changes them. That's the way things are sadly.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: September 7, 2023, 06:51:50 am »
It's called an opinion Jill & it's one that lots of Reds hold & even expressed whilst he was here.

If it's pointless then so is the thread.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: September 7, 2023, 06:57:04 am »
It's called an opinion Jill & it's one that lots of Reds hold & even expressed whilst he was here.

If it's pointless then so is the thread.

It is pretty pointless considering he’s not here anymore what’s there to discuss? It makes little difference what people think now. Let’s move on.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: September 7, 2023, 07:37:05 am »
I think he earned his place while he was here, he wasn’t the greatest player but he was the type of player that every team needs. It’s not about having brilliant players in every position you need the type that work their balls of too and he did that. I have no sympathy for him off the back of his interview but if you’re going to airbrush Henderson out of the club you also should do it to Gerrard,  Fowler, Bobby and Gini as well. How many will though?

You don't seem to get it, going to Saudi, while in it's itself is morally dubious, isn't why people are angry at Henderson.  It's because he held himself up as some equality crusader, leaping to the defence of minorities everywhere.  the other players you mentioned never held themselves up as some sort of beacon hence no accusations of rampant hypocrisy.

LBGTQ+ groups really bought into Henderson's bullshit, he was something of a hero to them, he's dumped on them from a great height and they're understandably upset.  All the causes he stood up for while wearing our shirt were based on bollocks, just a way to shine his halo before turning his back on them at the first opportunity.

Gerrard never pretended he was something he wasn't, Fowler certainly didn't do that,  Bobby and Gini never mentioned human rights as far as I can remember.  It's a straw man argument.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: September 7, 2023, 07:47:39 am »
You don't seem to get it, going to Saudi, while in it's itself is morally dubious, isn't why people are angry at Henderson.  It's because he held himself up as some equality crusader, leaping to the defence of minorities everywhere.  the other players you mentioned never held themselves up as some sort of beacon hence no accusations of rampant hypocrisy.

LBGTQ+ groups really bought into Henderson's bullshit, he was something of a hero to them, he's dumped on them from a great height and they're understandably upset.  All the causes he stood up for while wearing our shirt were based on bollocks, just a way to shine his halo before turning his back on them at the first opportunity.

Gerrard never pretended he was something he wasn't, Fowler certainly didn't do that,  Bobby and Gini never mentioned human rights as far as I can remember.  It's a straw man argument.

I understand very well the situation surrounding Henderson and made my own point countless times. As for your comments on Gerrard it’s the same excuses all the time. He is one of the most important faces with the whole Saudi League. People go on downplaying his influence they should all be put under the spotlight.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: September 7, 2023, 08:02:04 am »

I'd guess every one here has a low opinion of where Gerrard is plying his trade, but he hasn't betrayed his morals when it comes to the Saudi regime, because he never pretended to have any, same for the other players you mentioned.  What Henderson has done is about as clear a case of hypocrisy as there can be and his mealy mouthed attempt at justifying it is farcical.  There's a reason he gave an interview and the others felt they didn't need to.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #331 on: September 7, 2023, 08:06:58 am »
Brendan always struck me as a man whose views did not extend much past his own self interest. Only when his self interest aligns with yours is he regarded well. I don't think any set of fans that he has worked for views him fondly and probably see him solely as a professional football manager and nothing more. He is always better when the subject is football and not concepts like 'morality' or 'loyalty'

He's disliked by a high percentage of Liverpool fans who never took to him (a fanbase that likes to love its managers more than pretty much any other club). Leicester fans hate him. Celtic fans hate him (he can get back on side perhaps now).

He's a very vain and arrogant individual who will happily throw anyone under the bus and is as phony as they come.

Henderson did always have the air of a decent person.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: September 7, 2023, 08:08:11 am »

I'd guess every one here has a low opinion of where Gerrard is plying his trade, but he hasn't betrayed his morals when it comes to the Saudi regime, because he never pretended to have any, same for the other players you mentioned.  What Henderson has done is about as clear a case of hypocrisy as there can be and his mealy mouthed attempt at justifying it is farcical.  There's a reason he gave an interview and the others felt they didn't need to.

The point about Henderson is valid but for as long as they are all out there, the Saudis will use them for sports washing purposes. It’s why they feel they can use the clubs images and Gerrard has already been quite happy to praise his host employers.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #333 on: September 7, 2023, 08:11:04 am »
The fact remains that he got upset that Jurgen wanted to give his starting place to younger, fitter (and better) players and his ego couldn't handle it.

I heard this from many people. But do you have any news articles to suggest that he was upset about this?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #334 on: September 7, 2023, 08:46:18 am »
I don't think anyone is "airbrushing Henderson out of the club". Those trophies didn't get lifted on their own after all. Hopefully we won't see him ever again in the future, but that's a different matter to wanting to eliminate him from our past.

However what Henderson's decision to join the Saudi club has done is encourage supporters (like me) to say what had become a bit unsayable. He just wasn't very good. I don't expect everyone to agree with that. This is an opinion board after all. But I do dissent from the common-ish idea that every successful club needs a Henderson because these kind of players bust a gut for the team. I thought we'd got over that kind of nonsense when Kuyt had left. It's nonsense because it implies that players like Firmino and Mane and Sarah or Gerrard, Suarez and Coutinho never busted a gut themselves. I watch Szoboszlai now and the first thing I think is that he's "busting a gut" for Liverpool. But he's a player of high technique and artistry as well. A perfect Liverpool player if you will.

Had Henderson not thrown the Liverpool armband away along with his principles and ditched us - US! LIVERPOOL FC! - for Saudi Arabia I'd have probably not mentioned his relative lack of footballing ability again. But I can't resist it now. In pure footballing terms he's done us a favour.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: September 7, 2023, 09:31:25 am »
I don't think anyone is "airbrushing Henderson out of the club". Those trophies didn't get lifted on their own after all. Hopefully we won't see him ever again in the future, but that's a different matter to wanting to eliminate him from our past.

However what Henderson's decision to join the Saudi club has done is encourage supporters (like me) to say what had become a bit unsayable. He just wasn't very good. I don't expect everyone to agree with that. This is an opinion board after all. But I do dissent from the common-ish idea that every successful club needs a Henderson because these kind of players bust a gut for the team. I thought we'd got over that kind of nonsense when Kuyt had left. It's nonsense because it implies that players like Firmino and Mane and Sarah or Gerrard, Suarez and Coutinho never busted a gut themselves. I watch Szoboszlai now and the first thing I think is that he's "busting a gut" for Liverpool. But he's a player of high technique and artistry as well. A perfect Liverpool player if you will.

Had Henderson not thrown the Liverpool armband away along with his principles and ditched us - US! LIVERPOOL FC! - for Saudi Arabia I'd have probably not mentioned his relative lack of footballing ability again. But I can't resist it now. In pure footballing terms he's done us a favour.

He was technically way better than Kuyt ever was. And he had the engine of Kuyt, and better vision than Kuyt. Although tactically, Kuyt's brain was considerably ahead of Henderson. In terms of what we needed, I don't think there were (m)any British CMs better than him. For instance, I don't think Rice, who went for a packet, has ever been better than peak Henderson. It's just that Henderson's primary attribute was his engine, and he lost that some time ago, and with that his reason for being in the team as a player.

Just as with Fabinho, Henderson can't play the piano, so if he can't carry it, there's no point in him.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: September 7, 2023, 10:57:11 am »
What is the point of posts like this? Whether you like it or not he is part of Liverpool's past just like Gerrard and Fowler who are also in Saudi right now. You can't change any of this, it's pointless going on about whether he could have been replaced, he wasn't that's the end of it. It has to be dealt with. Also players are young when they enter football but once they get onto the range of money they earn, it changes them. That's the way things are sadly.

For what it’s worth Jill, I have always thought that Stevie was a bit of twat, but a twat that was in plain sight. Since he did that Chelsea thing he’s always come across a bit morally dubious to me, so him going to Saudi to me is no surprise. It’s always been about Stevie.

Fowler though hurts a bit, because he was my hero but at least he’s never had proclamations of being some sort of ally. And as hypocritical as it is , I reckon Fowler just wanted a job and tried to get jobs everywhere but no one was willing to give him a crack. Still wish he didn’t though.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #337 on: September 7, 2023, 11:04:32 am »
He knew what he was signing up for when he went there, nothing he will say will make it better

I dont care who he has met who said everything is fine over there, wouldnt surprise me if they were afraid to say anything else. And for every normal person there who is leading a normal life and having an ok time there are 100s of people who were driven to an early grave.

He sold out, its as simple as that. The interview is an attempt to justify it, either to us or himself.

On the field we have moved on, a midfield thats younger and will get better.

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: September 7, 2023, 11:08:53 am »

There is value in discussing the past. In this case it seems to be cathartic for some to express how they thought he was poor at football.  Some do it in a reasonable manner, some in a ridiculous way.

It may also prove a good lesson for fans not to put some footballers on a pedestal.

I didnt particularly agree with noobert but his post wasnt pointless. That being said we have had pointless posts in here.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: September 7, 2023, 11:10:48 am »
Quite, fairly blatant. But then morals and Brendan Rodgers have always had a very loose affiliation, both professionally and personally. Always has his eye on the next rung on the monkey ladder, just surprised Celtic took him back.

Got warned on here for calling him a mug years ago when he was our manager. The man is an unbearable dickhead.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #340 on: September 7, 2023, 11:26:47 am »
I heard this from many people. But do you have any news articles to suggest that he was upset about this?
He basically said it himself in the interview! He's tried to put the blame on Jurgen for 'making' him leave. He was only loyal to the cause whilst it served his interests.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: September 7, 2023, 11:28:37 am »
I don't know Henderson but I do know that footballers (and their wives) become accustomed to the lifestyle and income the game provides them. And as they near the end of their careers, along with the irrational fear of going back to what they came from (often poor backgrounds), it drives them to chase the money above all else. They'd trample their grandmothers for what they see as their pension fund, a chance to secure their kids' and grandkids' future. After all, typically they're not educated or smart enough to make their money work for them, or you know, curb the Elton John-like spending. It's even worse when said players are mediocre talents who got lucky in the right place at the right time, facts they delude themselves into denial about. It gives them an over-inflated sense of their own worth.

And that's where our ex-captain finds himself. He doesn't realise the Saudis don't want him for his footballing ability but what he represents.To show they can buy anybody no matter what their past professed morals are. It's the worst, a turncoat, a poacher turned gamekeeper. I mean at least we now know the price of his soul, £700k a week, when he could have probably got 200 in the MLS as a designated 'star' player like Shaqiri.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: September 7, 2023, 11:31:03 am »
I don't know Henderson but I do know that footballers (and their wives) become accustomed to the lifestyle and income the game provides them. And as they near the end of their careers, along with the irrational fear of going back to what they came from (often poor backgrounds), it drives them to chase the money above all else. They'd trample their grandmothers for what they see as their pension fund, a chance to secure their kids' and grandkids' future. After all, typically they're not educated or smart enough to make their money work for them, or you know, curb the Elton John-like spending. It's even worse when said players are mediocre talents who got lucky in the right place at the right time, facts they delude themselves into denial about. It gives them an over-inflated sense of their own worth.

And that's where our ex-captain finds himself. He doesn't realise the Saudis don't want him for his footballing ability but what he represents.To show they can buy anybody no matter what their past professed morals are. It's the worst, a turncoat, a poacher turned gamekeeper. I mean at least we now know the price of his soul, £700k a week, when he could have probably got 200 in the MLS as a designated 'star' player like Shaqiri.

That's an interesting post Rossi.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: September 7, 2023, 11:32:06 am »
He basically said it himself in the interview! He's tried to put the blame on Jurgen for 'making' him leave. He was only loyal to the cause whilst it served his interests.
The "didn't feel wanted" excuse is as embarrassing a it is disingenuous.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: September 7, 2023, 11:35:13 am »

I think he said the 700k a week is not correct although you can bet he is on mega mega money

I dont get how they are desperate to secure a future, these guys are multi millionaires, Henderson on 100k+ with us since god knows when with bonueses and endorsements, enough money to live until he is 200 surely, could probably live off interest.

As has been asked about LIV golf and this how much money do they need? never have enough seemingly

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: September 7, 2023, 11:43:04 am »
I dont get how they are desperate to secure a future, these guys are multi millionaires, Henderson on 100k+ with us since god knows when with bonueses and endorsements, enough money to live until he is 200 surely, could probably live off interest.
As I said, it's irrational, but he knows there's no lucrative media career waiting (although given the thick gobshites the BBC employs as pundits, who knows) so the drive to keep the tap flowing, the missus in diamonds and multiple properties, becomes the overriding priority. The "secure kids' future" is just something they tell themselves to sleep at night, to justify it as some sort of selflessness, when that goal has already been achieved.

Maybe I'm just cynical but I don't see Jordan Henderson building hospitals in Sunderland anytime soon.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #346 on: September 7, 2023, 11:45:31 am »
The "didn't feel wanted" excuse is as embarrassing a it is disingenuous.
Imagine Liverpool FC ushering in a new season with you on a highly lucrative contract whilst wearing the Captain's armband ... then suggesting you "didn't feel wanted."  ::)

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: September 7, 2023, 11:56:38 am »
As I said, it's irrational, but he knows there's no lucrative media career waiting (although given the thick gobshites the BBC employs as pundits, who knows) so the drive to keep the tap flowing, the missus in diamonds and multiple properties, becomes the overriding priority. The "secure kids' future" is just something they tell themselves to sleep at night, to justify it as some sort of selflessness, when that goal has already been achieved.

Maybe I'm just cynical but I don't see Jordan Henderson building hospitals in Sunderland anytime soon.

I think you are very right with a lot of the previous post, that creeping sense of the career ending and knowing the big pay days at least will soon be gone forever, that fear of as you say keeping themselves in diamonds and fur knickers. That's all that drove him to go there as we know, money, but the need and greed behind it is an interesting look at that part of the human psyche with these guys.

I think just as interesting is the bolded bit, as this is also a trait of people who have took the coin over morals in the past, a lot of the time they will try to 'buy' back a sense of moral equilibrium. Most humans don't ever think they are a bad person (* are we the baddies gif) , but subconsciously they will always have that niggle and once the dust settles they will then try their best to rub glitter into the smears of shite that cover the walls of their conscience. 

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: September 7, 2023, 12:05:35 pm »
I think just as interesting is the bolded bit, as this is also a trait of people who have took the coin over morals in the past, a lot of the time they will try to 'buy' back a sense of moral equilibrium. Most humans don't ever think they are a bad person (* are we the baddies gif) , but subconsciously they will always have that niggle and once the dust settles they will then try their best to rub glitter into the smears of shite that cover the walls of their conscience. 
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/30/the-family-that-built-an-empire-of-pain

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2022/02/07/these-museums-still-have-the-sackler-name-up-despite-opioid-crisis-controversy/

https://www.ft.com/content/31cb17b1-ce82-4d3b-b400-86d275da49d0

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #349 on: September 7, 2023, 12:09:56 pm »

Without trying to get too heavy, this kind of thing was recently touched on in the depression thread. Basically, grief for aspects of your life you have lost. It could be the loss of good health. Loss of a cherished relationship or a job that brought you stability and security. Loss of libido. The list goes on...

So yes, I get it. A lot of footballers would be working for minimum wage if it wasn't for their footballing abilities. But football is a short career. Rightly or wrongly, football also brings them status. Minimum wage kids who are decent at kicking a ball are suddenly elevated to 'star' status. They, and their hangers-on, see themselves as celebrities. A WAG who previously did nails in a beauty salon or worked on the make-up counter in John Lewis suddenly lives in a £5m house with a guy who can barely string a coherent sentence together but can kick a ball.

They aren't going to want to let that go. No way. Look at how Rooney's wife has put up with him shagging grannies. If he hadn't been on megabucks and 'famous' she'd never have been with him in the first place once she left school and got a job, nevermind put up with that.

Maybe it's insecurity. Maybe imposter syndrome. The validation and the money need to keep rolling in and perceived status needs to remain.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2023, 12:13:51 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: September 7, 2023, 12:19:49 pm »
I think you are very right with a lot of the previous post, that creeping sense of the career ending and knowing the big pay days at least will soon be gone forever, that fear of as you say keeping themselves in diamonds and fur knickers. That's all that drove him to go there as we know, money, but the need and greed behind it is an interesting look at that part of the human psyche with these guys.

Phenomenal - I’m keeping that in my back pocket. The glitter not the shit.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: September 7, 2023, 12:23:22 pm »
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/30/the-family-that-built-an-empire-of-pain

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2022/02/07/these-museums-still-have-the-sackler-name-up-despite-opioid-crisis-controversy/

https://www.ft.com/content/31cb17b1-ce82-4d3b-b400-86d275da49d0

;D Funny, I was thinking of the documentary All the beauty and the bloodshed funnily enough with the Sacklers in. They just seemed more like they wanted legacy though for their name, not sure if some of that family even know what a conscience is.

Also while on film, reminds me of Inside man and Chris Plummer buying back his soul having sold out to the Nazis, although I'm going way off track now!

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: September 7, 2023, 12:24:37 pm »

A pithy summary. As I remember, you argued the same point back in Kuyt's time at the club. Then Suarez came along, lugged that piano by himself from one end of the pitch to the other and then sat down and played Rachmaninoff Concerto 3.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: September 7, 2023, 12:33:38 pm »
from around the start of april at the end of the season - where he went on start 9 league games - might go down as the most consistently low quality (in terms of being prolonged, remaining in the side, playing significant minutes, producing on either side of the ball) performances from an established midfielder in Klopp's reign, for me.

[for what it's worth, this isn't a overreaction based on his recent behaviour - I thought this about his latter-season performances long before he threw the captaincy in klopps face, and tacitly accused him of not caring enough]

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: September 7, 2023, 12:38:57 pm »

Nope, he would be best keeping a low profile

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: September 7, 2023, 12:40:38 pm »
A pithy summary. As I remember, you argued the same point back in Kuyt's time at the club. Then Suarez came along, lugged that piano by himself from one end of the pitch to the other and then sat down and played Rachmaninoff Concerto 3.

I didn't put it as elegantly as that, but yes!

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: September 7, 2023, 12:45:29 pm »
Surprised by the amount of (ex)-love for Henderson as a player. I always thought we could do better, and silently groaned when yet another of our attacks broke down after he demanded the ball, only to do nothing with it. For a player with vision, like Bobby, Thiago  or Trent, it must have been frustrating.  But I thought that he must bring something to the team that I just couldn't see, as multiple managers were happy to let him play.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: September 7, 2023, 12:56:55 pm »
Surprised by the amount of (ex)-love for Henderson as a player. I always thought we could do better, and silently groaned when yet another of our attacks broke down after he demanded the ball, only to do nothing with it. For a player with vision, like Bobby, Thiago  or Trent, it must have been frustrating.  But I thought that he must bring something to the team that I just couldn't see, as multiple managers were happy to let him play.

Down the years we've had players who weren't the best in their position, but whatever they brought to the team was enough for them to keep their place. Henderson did whatever Jurgen required of him, both as a player and as a captain, otherwise he would have been moved on.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: September 7, 2023, 12:57:42 pm »
his rants at trent were increasing in frequency last season - very often for things that he (henderson) had been responsible for (especially galling when he frequently left trent 2 on 1, cos he couldn't be arsed running back as urgently as he would forwards)

feel a little harsh saying it, but it was a bit reminiscent of Spearing's pointing. like I say, feels a bit harsh, sorry Jay! the suggestions Spearing was making were at least sound, and they were trying to help the team, so it's a little unfair to compare it to the Henderson's egotistical efforts to save face and pin blame elsewhere)

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: September 7, 2023, 12:59:04 pm »
I didn't put it as elegantly as that, but yes!
And against the Mancs, Kuyt shoved Suarez out of the way, plonking down the final chord with his knuckles, taking the plaudits. All three movements of that concerto as well.