Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted)  (Read 3268339 times)

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #81720 on: May 26, 2024, 07:33:59 am »
It may also be that Yoro is seen as a bit of a unicorn as he seems to be one of the few with the attributes to eventually grow into a Van Dijk replacement in the long term. As we have shown with Virgil and with Ali, I think we're okay with spending the massive fees if it means that we will keep the player for many years.

Agree and the recruitment team noticed this before with Mbappe and Bellingham but it never seems to end well for us :-\

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81721 on: May 26, 2024, 07:47:45 am »
i wouldnt take Colwill from Chelsea
not that good and already missed plenty of games in his career
Madueke actually looks a talent despite average numbers in PSV.
Bakayoko his replacement looks far better end product wise so that could be a decent signing.
Summerville i think is far too risky

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81722 on: May 26, 2024, 08:35:42 am »
Agree and the recruitment team noticed this before with Mbappe and Bellingham but it never seems to end well for us :-\

When it’s obvious the player will be top tier Madrid are all over it and nobody else stands a chance

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #81723 on: May 26, 2024, 09:33:36 am »
I like the nba and nfl and they have salary caps. Never any talk about UEFA imposing one. Guess the pull of the Saudi money league could be an issue. Just hate the idea of Real with Mbappe Vini Jr Jude Davies at LB etc. Its overkill. Would love a more level playing field. PSR is individual income based so the big clubs still have the advantage. In the NBA all teams have the same cap. You can go over the limit to resign your own players. It's worked out as a percentage of the income of the league divided by the 32 teams in it
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 09:38:43 am by DiggerJohn »

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81724 on: May 26, 2024, 09:42:37 am »
Without a shadow of a doubt, someone later in this thread will repeat this idea that he's poor in the air as if it's a fact, even though you've immediately disproven it.

Think it depends what you look at. Firstly, the guy who does those charts always designs them to highlight the strengths of a particular player. They’re absolutely not designed to be objective.

Going by FBREF, his aerial numbers don’t look impressive. 63% win rate (good) but only 1.42 aerial wins per 90 which suggests he’s not competing in many duels. That chart makes it look like he’s equivalent to Virgil, who fbref has winning 4 duels a game at an 80% win rate.

Question for me is whether he can scale his numbers up in the PL where he’d suddenly need to compete in way more duels. Does his win percentage hold, increase, decrease? That’d be a big question for the data team.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 09:44:50 am by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #81725 on: May 26, 2024, 10:18:11 am »
Chelsea are in hot water with regards to FFP. Would you take any player from there?

They'll spend more than us this summer. They'll just use June to try and sell cast offs for inflated fees.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #81726 on: May 26, 2024, 10:23:31 am »
Yoro is supposed to be Real bound. If they get involved forget it. A pity as he profiles the closest to VVD.

Believe that might be old news about Madrid but you never know.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81727 on: May 26, 2024, 10:40:14 am »
They'll spend more than us this summer. They'll just use June to try and sell cast offs for inflated fees.

Yep, FSG will keep us around 5-8 in terms of our transfer spend, we will be top 3 in terms of wages

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #81728 on: May 26, 2024, 10:46:12 am »
I like the nba and nfl and they have salary caps. Never any talk about UEFA imposing one. Guess the pull of the Saudi money league could be an issue. Just hate the idea of Real with Mbappe Vini Jr Jude Davies at LB etc. Its overkill. Would love a more level playing field. PSR is individual income based so the big clubs still have the advantage. In the NBA all teams have the same cap. You can go over the limit to resign your own players. It's worked out as a percentage of the income of the league divided by the 32 teams in it
Big clubs like Liverpool would lose a lot in such a system.
I seldom see anyone who wants Liverpool to have a level playing field and similar wages to Everton or Burnley

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #81729 on: May 26, 2024, 10:55:47 am »
Think it depends what you look at. Firstly, the guy who does those charts always designs them to highlight the strengths of a particular player. They’re absolutely not designed to be objective.

Going by FBREF, his aerial numbers don’t look impressive. 63% win rate (good) but only 1.42 aerial wins per 90 which suggests he’s not competing in many duels. That chart makes it look like he’s equivalent to Virgil, who fbref has winning 4 duels a game at an 80% win rate.

Question for me is whether he can scale his numbers up in the PL where he’d suddenly need to compete in way more duels. Does his win percentage hold, increase, decrease? That’d be a big question for the data team.
Hes just a kid though, so he will get stronger and smarter im aerials as well.
Of course he wouldnt be as dominant as VVD, who came here in his prime.

To me he looks a bit like Bajcetic - maybe he could play DM?

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81730 on: May 26, 2024, 11:07:16 am »
Hes just a kid though, so he will get stronger and smarter im aerials as well.
Of course he wouldnt be as dominant as VVD, who came here in his prime.

To me he looks a bit like Bajcetic - maybe he could play DM?

That graph was designed to make him look Virgil esque though, which I think is disingenuous. None of which is to say he couldn’t become a beast in the air… I just don’t think he is one *now*. By all accounts he looks like he could be elite so he’d excite me. I’d just be surprised if we spend huge money on a teenager (that isn’t Bellingham/Mbappe). Maybe the nerds regard him as at that level though, in which case maybe we do make a move!

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81731 on: May 26, 2024, 11:12:43 am »
That graph was designed to make him look Virgil esque though, which I think is disingenuous. None of which is to say he couldn’t become a beast in the air… I just don’t think he is one *now*. By all accounts he looks like he could be elite so he’d excite me. I’d just be surprised if we spend huge money on a teenager (that isn’t Bellingham/Mbappe). Maybe the nerds regard him as at that level though, in which case maybe we do make a move!

We didn’t spend big money on Bellingham or Mbappe either.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #81732 on: May 26, 2024, 11:14:29 am »

But the NFL, NBA, NHL etc. are league franchises that just occupy a market for the league. Football is a club system that grows organically and according to the financial/commercial decisions of the club. North American sports leagues would never allow a city market like NYC to have as many teams as London, or even as many as Birmingham or Manchester areas have in the FA. Both systems are fundamentally different. The North American Leagues have always been top down monopolies.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81733 on: May 26, 2024, 11:19:31 am »

Fair enough if the data that's gone into the chart is incorrect, because according to that his aerial duel success is higher than 80%. So it's either accurate, or it's a lie, as opposed to being a sneaky, misleading graph.

However, you said that he appears to not be good in the air, which isn't the case even if it's a 63% success rate. Not elite at this stage, but excellent for an 18 year old.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81734 on: May 26, 2024, 11:21:19 am »
But the NFL, NBA, NHL etc. are league franchises that just occupy a market for the league. Football is a club system that grows organically and according to the financial/commercial decisions of the club. North American sports leagues would never allow a city market like NYC to have as many teams as London, or even as many as Birmingham or Manchester areas have in the FA. Both systems are fundamentally different. The North American Leagues have always been top down monopolies.

And that is one of the best things about American sports ...

Online Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81735 on: May 26, 2024, 11:32:26 am »

Even then the NBA is far from even, small market teams hardly ever win it all. Also it would never work in football because there is way too many leagues and competitions making it impossible to implement or police.

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81736 on: May 26, 2024, 11:35:33 am »

Virgil was playing reserve team football at his age so the comparison isn’t fair, if he was as good as Virgil in his peak he’d be the greatest centre back prospect in history

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #81737 on: May 26, 2024, 12:17:05 pm »
Big clubs like Liverpool would lose a lot in such a system.
I seldom see anyone who wants Liverpool to have a level playing field and similar wages to Everton or Burnley

Probably not and in nba and nfl every team is in a big city so no Burnleys. Same issue in F1 not every driver  has a good car. Money counts. Leicester wins are less likely. Though bayer did it this year after 9 bayern wins in a row

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #81738 on: May 26, 2024, 12:20:28 pm »
And that is one of the best things about American sports ...

The downside is that the teams have a monopoly in a market. You can't start a new club in their market. For example, there are 10 million people in the Toronto area. In the NHL, Toronto Maple Leafs have kept out teams in their exclusionary zone while delivering poor performance on purpose. They were compensated when the Buffalo Sabres came into the league and they have prevented teams from relocating to satellite cities of Toronto that could support a team easily. But there are teams in such hockey hotbeds as North Carolina, Nashville, Tampa, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Why? Corporate boxes and corporate season tickets that business writes off their taxes.

The Oakland As are moving to Sacramento. Why? Corp headquarter money. And they are a storied team who have won so many titles including the 3 World Series in a row 72-74 before they were pillaged by the Yankees when feee agency started. (the Ajax of baseball) Hell there is a recent huge movie about them, "Moneyball." Now they have lost all their sports teams in Oakland. Business is business....

I'd hate if football went in the direction of US sports.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 12:23:25 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
« Reply #81739 on: May 26, 2024, 12:47:55 pm »
Both American sports and uefa have big flaws. Very hard to get the best system. Anyone fancy going a PhD in it??

Anyway sorry back to transfer talk Gordan or olise or Kudus. Van der berg or Leny. Find a fuckin DM 🙏
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 12:52:46 pm by DiggerJohn »

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81740 on: May 26, 2024, 12:57:54 pm »
Yoro will end up at PSG I reckon. Pacho to us
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #81741 on: May 26, 2024, 01:02:00 pm »
I have watched him a lot. Works hard, is a great presser. But he isnt outstanding at all and I hope we dont sign him. I dont think we will because his underlying numbers are not great, but you never know.

Mad the sorts of players people want on this forum.

He is a good player for me atleast.

I never liked him either until I saw an interview about what he thought made the improvement to his game and he spoke about visualizing being successful.

Which is something Salah does - which is where Gordon got it from, listening to an interview about Salah's preparation and him being an inspiration.

Under 70m I would take him personally. 

Offline Sonofthewind

• Anny Roader
  • Cheers like
« Reply #81742 on: May 26, 2024, 01:03:31 pm »
How many ins/outs are people expecting? Matip and Thiago, and maybe 3 more.

I'm not expecting more than two significant players in.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81743 on: May 26, 2024, 01:14:12 pm »
How many ins/outs are people expecting? Matip and Thiago, and maybe 3 more.

I'm not expecting more than two significant players in.

I'm still not sure about Mo. I'm sure we don't want to let him leave on a free so surely it's either contract or sell. Also not sure if Diaz, Tsimikas will be here next season.

Then there's the likes of Morton, Carvalho, VDB and of course who can forget Nat Phillips.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81744 on: May 26, 2024, 01:16:39 pm »
Out of the actual first team squad one of the keepers needs to move as you can't keep two #1 happy and Kelleher will probably want more after playing so much so one has to move. Then probably one of the front 5 need to move. None were that great and we need better returns(or in Jota's case more availability)

So Matip, Thiago, a keeper and a forward out and a direct replacement for each back in. Should be achievable, i just hope we don't bring a load of lads from the Dutch league because the new coach likes them like United did. We need to be smarter than that!

All the guys who were out of loan should be made available in case we can get a decent deal.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Online clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81745 on: May 26, 2024, 02:35:59 pm »
Yoro is supposed to be Real bound. If they get involved forget it. A pity as he profiles the closest to VVD.

Believe the news the other day is that Madrid are no longer interested. Mbappe probably killing them financially

Offline Sonofthewind

• Anny Roader
  • Cheers like
« Reply #81746 on: May 26, 2024, 03:07:32 pm »
Believe the news the other day is that Madrid are no longer interested. Mbappe probably killing them financially

I think the talk is him joining them on a free in a year so Mbappe won't affect them.

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #81747 on: May 26, 2024, 03:23:53 pm »

Or they've watched him play. He has the physique but his defending id nothing special. And the money been talked about is ridiculous. 
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81748 on: May 26, 2024, 03:25:43 pm »
Summerville to LFC then.  ;D

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #81749 on: May 26, 2024, 03:31:36 pm »
Was watching Newsnight and found out the leader of the Reform Party is a Liverpool fan. C*nt.
As is Esther McVey and the Haunted Pencil. Would love to see them try to rock up at Anfield.

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #81750 on: May 26, 2024, 03:33:05 pm »
Gordon’s an outrageous player. Not sure if people are thinking of the lad that broke through at the blues but he’s a much better player than that now. He’s perfect for how we play, zero questions and zero doubts. Genuinely just watch him play, bang a vid in on YouTube if needs be but I’ve watched him a few times this season and he’s just everything we want in a wide player. Pace, power, movement, pressing, direct and end product. He’s still got room to get even better too. He’s a defender’s nightmare. If you’re sneering at him or acting like he’s not good enough you’ve clearly not watched enough of him, sorry to put it like that but it’s impossible for you to have watched him and not been impressed, he’s improved massively in the last 12 months, from the U21s Euros onwards he’s become one of the best wide players in the league and he’s 22/23.

the clobber though :(

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81751 on: May 26, 2024, 03:36:48 pm »
As is Esther McVey and the Haunted Pencil. Would love to see them try to rock up at Anfield.

The fine despicable Gentleman from the 18th century, Jacob Rees-Mogg is one too.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81752 on: May 26, 2024, 03:38:30 pm »

I feel whichever side loses will lose a lot of players this summer
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81753 on: May 26, 2024, 03:39:50 pm »

Never really watched him but feels like we can do better? Or am I being unduly harsh?

Also finding it hard to get invested if we sign an 18 year old defender or not. Surely we need a more experienced  option. Having him, Quansah and Konate feels like a very young crop alongside big Virg. Obviously if we sign him then he’s the greatest defensive prospect I’ve ever seen.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81754 on: May 26, 2024, 03:43:44 pm »
A tad harsh Nicholas but he will also count as homegrown too.  :D

As for Yoro, you have to look at all the teams who want him. Us, Real Madrid, PSG , Man City and Juventus.  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81755 on: May 26, 2024, 03:45:09 pm »
A tad harsh Nicholas but he will also count as homegrown too.  :D

As for Yoro, you ahve tol ook at all the teams who want him. Us, Real Madrid, PSG , Man City and Juventus.

He also wears gloves in May. Not for me, Clive.

Online clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81756 on: May 26, 2024, 03:52:58 pm »

Let's hope not. He's wearing gloves....it's nearly June.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #81757 on: May 26, 2024, 03:54:38 pm »
I think the talk is him joining them on a free in a year so Mbappe won't affect them.

L'equipe are saying he's said his goodbyes:

Leny Yoro should no longer wear the colors of Lille. Recently, the young 18- year-old central defender trained in the North toured the offices at the training center and thanked the employees by giving them each a jersey. If it wasn't a farewell tour, it still looked like one, a little, with one year left on his contract.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Article/Le-psg-face-a-la-concurrence-pour-le-lillois-leny-yoro/1469574

Doesn't sound like the behaviour of someone sticking around for another year to me.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #81758 on: May 26, 2024, 03:55:56 pm »
Never really watched him but feels like we can do better? Or am I being unduly harsh?

Also finding it hard to get invested if we sign an 18 year old defender or not. Surely we need a more experienced  option. Having him, Quansah and Konate feels like a very young crop alongside big Virg. Obviously if we sign him then he’s the greatest defensive prospect I’ve ever seen.

Yeah personally don’t think he’s great. He play well in phases of a game but can be invisible for the majority of it and that’s him in the championship. He’s at most a squad player

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81759 on: May 26, 2024, 03:59:10 pm »
He was voted Championship Player of the Year, so he must have had a lot of "phases" considering he got 20 goals and 10 assists.  ;D