Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted)  (Read 3268902 times)

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #81800 on: May 26, 2024, 06:53:27 pm »
Why would Robertson be under threat?

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81801 on: May 26, 2024, 07:19:21 pm »

Not Roberson, Tsimikas.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81802 on: May 26, 2024, 07:22:13 pm »
The days of buying a Mane or a Salah for £35m are long gone. Any player from one of the big leagues with the stats they had is going for double or treble that now. Even buying a decent young player who has had a breakout season costs a bomb e.g. Lavia, Yoro, every fucking Brazilian wonderkid. We're screwed :)

Not really. Lots of young players have release clauses. Also, lots of young players run down their contracts to only 12 months these days:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/transfers/endendevertraege/statistik?plus=0&jahr=2025&ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&land_id=0&yt0=Show

These players won't cost a fortune this summer ...

Offline Evil Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #81803 on: May 26, 2024, 07:22:24 pm »

Might not be starter if we get a LB/CB but in reality do I see us getting rid of probably the most liked player in the squad this window hmmm I doubt it. Not saying he won't be under threat because he's Trent's best mate just that there's a possibility it might be something the data nerds are looking at

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81804 on: May 26, 2024, 07:22:58 pm »
Beck is just as good, if not better than him already.

Beck is a LB thougn totally different player.

This Gray kid is good hardly injured, a big lad and played pretty much 50 games already in a tough league.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81805 on: May 26, 2024, 07:24:52 pm »
not sure he’s that much better than Bajectic or McConnell, we need someone who walks into the midfield and becomes the dominant central defensive midfielder, Gray is 2-3 seasons away from being ready for a
major role, would be an investment purchase rather than an immediate impact maker

It’s very hard to say Bajcetic is more talented on the eye test but he has just had a year out injured so we don’t really know how he will return.

Gray would be an investment for sure and wouldn’t be a nailed on starter but he has clearly got lots of talent this is the time to get him if we really want him.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81806 on: May 26, 2024, 07:26:06 pm »
Beck is a LB thougn totally different player.

This Gray kid is good hardly injured, a big lad and played pretty much 50 games already in a tough league.

Gray is a LB also.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81807 on: May 26, 2024, 07:28:39 pm »
Gray is a LB also.
You sure you're not thinking of someone else? Gray's a DM/RB.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81808 on: May 26, 2024, 07:28:40 pm »
I do like the idea of Archie Gray as a defensive midfielder project for the future. I think that he and Bajcetic could play together ...

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81809 on: May 26, 2024, 07:29:15 pm »
Gray is a LB also.

He plays mainly RB and CM though for Leeds and I’d guess with his engine he will play in CM later in his career.

I also think I’d prefer my LB to be left footed too for better balance.

The main reason I’d look at him is he is homegrown and he has all the physical tools as well as he has proved this in the championship which is a good schooling for talented players as we’ve seen with the likes of Bowen/Wharton/Eze.

Offline Evil Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #81810 on: May 26, 2024, 07:31:10 pm »
I like the look of Archie Gray too. Could turn out to be a very good rb or cm for Slot ball ™

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81811 on: May 26, 2024, 07:34:26 pm »
Gray is the kind of player who we should be fine leaving at Leeds and then buying when we're more sure on him. I get that comes across as big headed/dismissive of Leeds, but it's just the reality of football. There isn't the space in our side to give minutes to another young mid or right back, loans make it less of a guarantee he progresses well. Buying a 'project' is just not worth it for us this window. We've got plenty across the pitch to be giving minutes to.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81812 on: May 26, 2024, 07:36:52 pm »
Gray looks ok but not sure he adds anything to us over the next few years, if there's anything left in the kitty then fine but we need gods and need em ready now.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81813 on: May 26, 2024, 07:38:10 pm »
Gray is the kind of player who we should be fine leaving at Leeds and then buying when we're more sure on him. I get that comes across as big headed/dismissive of Leeds, but it's just the reality of football. There isn't the space in our side to give minutes to another young mid or right back, loans make it less of a guarantee he progresses well. Buying a 'project' is just not worth it for us this window. We've got plenty across the pitch to be giving minutes to.

We can't just decide to leave him at Leeds though ;D

If we don't sign him you could easily see him going to a Brighton/Brentford/Palace type team and then his price tripling.

Normally I'm not overly keen on Championship players, but when they're homegrown and this young it takes a big element of the risk away because there will always be a market for him if it doesn't work out.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81814 on: May 26, 2024, 07:39:37 pm »
I see your reasons for that Chris and you make some fair points.

I liken it to when we signed Henderson fees gone through the roof now so if we leave it he then becomes £70-80m if Leeds come up and we’d back off at that fee for sure.

I guess it depends if he wants to move for one and if the nerds stats are good that we need to get him before he explodes.

I mean there is other players out there if we don’t get him so it’s all good still 😂

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81815 on: May 26, 2024, 07:42:36 pm »

Yeah think that's been our policy with transfers,we tend to try to buy talented kids a couple of years younger for nominal (for us) fees or then a few years older when they have some history of stats for the nerds to chew on.

Offline Evil Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #81816 on: May 26, 2024, 07:43:12 pm »
Would only be room for Gray if Trent goes into midfield imo and Leeds probably go up next season so now is the time to strike if we really want him

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #81817 on: May 26, 2024, 07:46:30 pm »

Yeah, but if we took that approach with Wharton, for example, then you're talking megabucks to get him out of Palace in a year or two.

We don't spend what the likes of United, City and Chelsea do every year to be able to wait. Whether that's on transfer fees or by the time we do decide to go for him, United want him as well and will pay him 300k a week, or Chelsea offer him 400k a week on a 25 year contract or some such bollocks.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 07:56:26 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81818 on: May 26, 2024, 07:47:00 pm »

If we don't sign him you could easily see him going to a Brighton/Brentford/Palace type team and then his price tripling.

Normally I'm not overly keen on Championship players, but when they're homegrown and this young it takes a big element of the risk away because there will always be a market for him if it doesn't work out.
I mean that's fine, I probably shouldn't have been that specific on the Leeds point, if he goes to some midtable side and his price triples then that isn't an issue either. If he's good enough to start for us (say in 3-5 years when we're hopefully still a team fighting at the top) then we pay the money. Maybe he goes elsewhere like a City or Chelsea, which if he's amazing sucks a bit but there'd still be plenty amazing players about then as well.

I just think the stage our side is at now we should be investing solely in 3-4 starters, maybe a back up keeper if Kelleher' leaves. We've got plenty young players who needs minutes to develop further (especially midfield and right back)adding another doesn't help us at this point and just makes it harder for everyone to get the minutes they need. Maybe Gray is amazing, but I reckon in 2-3 years there'll be another highly rated player around his ability we could sign if we were in a position of rebuild or could spare the development minutes.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81819 on: May 26, 2024, 07:55:23 pm »
Hope so. Love a bit so expensive signing.

It's the kind of signing FSG tend to make.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81820 on: May 26, 2024, 07:55:52 pm »
I do like the idea of Archie Gray as a defensive midfielder project for the future. I think that he and Bajcetic could play together ...

Could you develop both to their full potential whilst still trying to win now? I doubt we have the minutes to spare or the game results to risk. Developing Bajcetic to his full potential will be challenge enough given our midfield options.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81821 on: May 26, 2024, 08:21:12 pm »
The days of buying a Mane or a Salah for £35m are long gone. Any player from one of the big leagues with the stats they had is going for double or treble that now. Even buying a decent young player who has had a breakout season costs a bomb e.g. Lavia, Yoro, every fucking Brazilian wonderkid. We're screwed :)

Abdul Fattawa Issahaku is the next Mane, we’ve scouted him before he moved to Leicester, definitely one to keep an eye on

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81822 on: May 26, 2024, 08:22:49 pm »
Napoli from 1st to 10th, no European footie next season, I’d be sticking a bid in for that guy killerheels can’t spell.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81823 on: May 26, 2024, 08:30:02 pm »

Our goals is to be challenging for the title and champions league, so for us having Bajectic, McConnell, Gray, Clark, Nyoni in/around the midfield is the wrong balance, we need players in their peak or about to enter it to bridge the gap, as it stands Rodri/Rice etc would run rings around Gray we need someone much better

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #81824 on: May 26, 2024, 08:40:39 pm »
Abdul Fattawa Issahaku is the next Mane, we’ve scouted him before he moved to Leicester, definitely one to keep an eye on

He's on loan at Leicester I think, moved to sporting Lisbon

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81825 on: May 26, 2024, 09:19:50 pm »
I think the opposite. Three or four starting players , two of them are midfielders who are good at winning challenges.

I dont see us signing two midfielders to be honest, be suprised if we even sign one but i've been wrong many times before

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81826 on: May 26, 2024, 09:22:21 pm »
Napoli from 1st to 10th, no European footie next season, I’d be sticking a bid in for that guy killerheels can’t spell.

Kim? Already left last season mate.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81827 on: May 26, 2024, 09:23:21 pm »
Could you develop both to their full potential whilst still trying to win now? I doubt we have the minutes to spare or the game results to risk. Developing Bajcetic to his full potential will be challenge enough given our midfield options.

Regular starters in the domestic cups, substitution minutes here and there in the PL and the CL. The good thing with both Bajcetic and Gray is that they can play 2, maybe even 3 positions in Slot's setup ...

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #81828 on: May 26, 2024, 09:51:31 pm »

The answer is no, it’s becoming extremely difficult to develop any young player at a top club to their fullest potential now. Look at Carvalho as a good example of how hard it can be for a player who’s ’not quite there’ yet in his development, if results start to go awry they’re the first out of the side if senior players are available. Bajcetic played as much as he did out of sheer desperation, he’d also been at the club a while which meant he’d come from academy ages and developed more on our watch.

Footballers are finally starting to use their brains more when planning the route of their careers. The days of City signing Rodwell, Sinclair etc every summer and just letting them rot on their bench aren’t quite gone, but now the modern player knows it makes a lot more sense to go to a Brighton, a Dortmund, a Leipzig, play regularly, develop out of the limelight and not only will the big clubs come calling, you’ll be ready to succeed there.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Bajcetic went on loan to support his development, we aren’t in the same stage of desperation as we were when he played and he desperately needs consistent minutes given he’s lost a year of development. Anyone that thinks you can develop young lads by sticking them in League cup games and getting scraps off the bench is mad. They either need to go in and play regularly (Trent) or they need to go out on loan and come back ready (Bradley). There’s simply no way we could develop two teenage 6s at the same time unless one was already established in the side. I really like Bajcetic but his injury really has set him back a year.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81829 on: May 26, 2024, 10:06:37 pm »
The answer is no, it’s becoming extremely difficult to develop any young player at a top club to their fullest potential now. Look at Carvalho as a good example of how hard it can be for a player who’s ’not quite there’ yet in his development, if results start to go awry they’re the first out of the side if senior players are available. Bajcetic played as much as he did out of sheer desperation, he’d also been at the club a while which meant he’d come from academy ages and developed more on our watch.

Footballers are finally starting to use their brains more when planning the route of their careers. The days of City signing Rodwell, Sinclair etc every summer and just letting them rot on their bench aren’t quite gone, but now the modern player knows it makes a lot more sense to go to a Brighton, a Dortmund, a Leipzig, play regularly, develop out of the limelight and not only will the big clubs come calling, you’ll be ready to succeed there.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Bajcetic went on loan to support his development, we aren’t in the same stage of desperation as we were when he played and he desperately needs consistent minutes given he’s lost a year of development. Anyone that thinks you can develop young lads by sticking them in League cup games and getting scraps off the bench is mad. They either need to go in and play regularly (Trent) or they need to go out on loan and come back ready (Bradley). There’s simply no way we could develop two teenage 6s at the same time unless one was already established in the side. I really like Bajcetic but his injury really has set him back a year.

Not sure about that.

There are huge amounts of examples of young players thriving at top clubs right now.

Bradley
Quansah
Elliott
Palmer
Mainoo
Saka
Martinelli
Odegaard
Saliba
Colwill

I could go on, all depends how young you are talking but so many are getting minutes and progressing well with the given minutes. Carvalho is a convenient example but he came into a side with a thriving attack, mainly operating in a role we never played with, of course he struggled, you could just as easily use Elliott as the example and it looks very different. Obviously loans can help but many young players can thrive at top clubs at a young age and do really well. There are so so many factors, the big club in question, the role being filled, the makeup of the squad, how the manager views youth etc
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 10:08:27 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81830 on: May 26, 2024, 10:12:36 pm »
Not sure about that.

There are huge amounts of examples of young players thriving at top clubs right now.

Bradley
Quansah
Elliott
Palmer
Mainoo
Saka
Martinelli
Odegaard
Saliba
Colwill

I could go on, all depends how young you are talking but so many are getting minutes and progressing well with the given minutes. Carvalho is a convenient example but he came into a side with a thriving attack, mainly operating in a role we never played with, of course he struggled, you could just as easily use Elliott as the example and it looks very different
How many of those had to/wanted to leave on loan to get minutes to develop? 6? Palmer forced a transfer out of a side he couldn't get minutes at to a side who finished midtable last year, Mainoo, Saka and Martinelli got their minutes breaking through when their sides were very much not a top side in anything but name. There's a big difference between Arsenal giving young players a chance when they are 6th-8th and now for example.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 10:14:36 pm by Chris~ »

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #81831 on: May 26, 2024, 10:15:59 pm »
Gray looks every bit an 18 year old and should stay at Leeds for another year.

In midfield, we could do with a 25 year old who can come in
and boss things with Mac Allister.

Ederson of Atalanta fits that bill. Who else?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #81832 on: May 26, 2024, 10:17:15 pm »
Beck is just as good, if not better than him already.
This is a joke, surely?  :o
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81833 on: May 26, 2024, 10:18:43 pm »
How many of those had to/wanted to leave on loan to get minutes to develop? 6? Palmer forced a transfer out of a side he couldn't get minutes at to a side who finished midtable last year, Mainoo, Saka and Martinelli got their minutes breaking through when their sides were very much not a top side in anything but name. There's a big difference between Arsenal giving young players a chance when they are 6th-8th and now for example.

Palmer left City... cant really blame anyone leaving a City side they aren't getting minutes in, its City.

The rest is fair, still the 'big teams' as stated in the post I quoted but I get your point. My point still stands regarding our players and you could probably add others

Online Sonofthewind

• Anny Roader
  • Cheers like
« Reply #81834 on: May 26, 2024, 10:28:33 pm »
Seems like Gray would be a good pickup if the price is right but feels like more of football manager type where us fans are crying out for it but it just won't happen.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81835 on: May 26, 2024, 10:29:51 pm »
There needs to be a balance between going for young players and experienced because we want to win and not just develop players.

If we don't win then all this potential will go elsewhere to do so. I would like us to spend with our priorities in mind and not just throwing money around.

Online Sonofthewind

• Anny Roader
  • Cheers like
« Reply #81836 on: May 26, 2024, 10:32:05 pm »
There needs to be a balance between going for young players and experienced because we want to win and not just develop players.

If we don't win then all this potential will go elsewhere to do so. I would like us to spend with our priorities in mind and not just throwing money around.

I'll be surprised if he's even that cheap. It seems like the reporting around Leeds having to sell is just throwing numbers around. What's the most we spent on a teenager when Michael Edwards had been involved with the transfer process.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81837 on: May 26, 2024, 10:36:55 pm »
I'll be surprised if he's even that cheap. It seems like the reporting around Leeds having to sell is just throwing numbers around. What's the most we spent on a teenager when Michael Edwards had been involved with the transfer process.
When you look at:
1. His age
2. His reported price tag
3. The player he is now
4. The fact that we already have a "project" in his position.

Then the conclusion is that we don't need him. We already have enough "he needs time" or "he's a young lad" or "he's adapting to the league players". Adding someone else in that bucket doesn't really improve us.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 10:39:05 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #81838 on: May 26, 2024, 10:37:36 pm »
Not really. Lots of young players have release clauses. Also, lots of young players run down their contracts to only 12 months these days:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/transfers/endendevertraege/statistik?plus=0&jahr=2025&ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&land_id=0&yt0=Show

These players won't cost a fortune this summer ...

Which of these have put up multiple seasons of providing 15-20 goal contributions from a wide forward position, are aged 24-26 or under and would demand a fee around £35 million or less?

Online Sonofthewind

• Anny Roader
  • Cheers like
« Reply #81839 on: May 26, 2024, 10:38:56 pm »
When you look at:
1. His age
2. His reported price tag
3. The player he is now
4. The fact that we already have a "project" in his position.

Then the conclusion is that we don't need him.

Yep. I think we're yet to see any credible links to players so far.