Author Topic: Ben “Ben” Davies signs for Liverpool  (Read 74749 times)

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Ben “Ben” Davies signs for Liverpool
« Reply #280 on: March 6, 2021, 01:50:49 am »
Is it not obvious what his role here is though? He is a back up. Option and that's it. He is below Phillips in the pecking order
His role is to be sold for a profit.

I hope for his sake it hasn't cost him the chance to play for Celtic.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #281 on: March 6, 2021, 01:32:06 pm »
Funnily enough Kabak needed zero adjusting to a completely new system in a alien country.
Different players are different shocker! Quick, someone contact the Nobel Prize committee, this discovery deserves broader recognition.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #282 on: March 6, 2021, 01:38:18 pm »
His role is to be sold for a profit.

I hope for his sake it hasn't cost him the chance to play for Celtic.
Yeh of all the players that could be brought to sell on for profit, the might of the club's brainpower and scouting settled upon a reasonable -but-nothing-spectacular-yet mid-twenties centreback from Preston, because he was clearly the standout best choice for a quick buy-markup-sell on operation. That it happened suspiciously just when we were having a centre-back injury crisis is just a coincidence. Definitely bought to sell on, absolutely nothing in the fact that we needed more CBs. Nevermind the unprecedented crisis the club is undergoing in every field of operation, we just couldn't let this opportunity to make a few hundred thousand quid go by

With that kind of business acumen we'll be running the stock exchange this time next year
« Last Edit: March 6, 2021, 01:41:02 pm by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #283 on: March 6, 2021, 07:20:58 pm »
Funnily enough Kabak needed zero adjusting to a completely new system in a alien country.
I fucking knew it!

Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 7, 2021, 10:24:55 pm »
Is he real?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: March 7, 2021, 11:48:35 pm »
Ben "Mrs Ventress" Davies

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: March 8, 2021, 02:53:10 am »
Is he real?

Real?  Absolutely!  Corporeal?  ....TBD
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: March 8, 2021, 10:52:08 am »
I reckon he went for a holiday in the Caribbean and the Bermuda Triangle got him.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #288 on: March 8, 2021, 12:40:44 pm »
I think Klopp needs to ditch the idea of not playing 'experienced' centre backs. Get Davies and Kabak at the back together if fit and go from there. I mean a third of the teams in the division are pretty much Championship quality, it shouldn't be a problem for Ben really

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #289 on: March 8, 2021, 12:44:22 pm »
Does anyone know what happened on the weekend? Reports that morning said he was ready to make his debut but he wasn't in the squad. Another injury?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #290 on: March 8, 2021, 12:47:49 pm »
Ben Davies, a deadline day signing from Preston North End for an initial fee of Ł500,000, was available for Sunday’s game but didn’t even make the bench. He has yet to make his debut as he battles to prove to Klopp he’s ready.

https://theathletic.com/2428818/2021/03/08/liverpool-klopp-premier-league/
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 8, 2021, 12:50:33 pm »
Bit shit if we fucked his move to Celtic just to never give him a chance really. Weird situation.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #292 on: March 8, 2021, 12:52:09 pm »
I am expecting him to be one of these mystery players we never get to see play  :P

Not surprised he hasn’t started, but not even on the bench now is a bit odd, what on earth is he doing (or not) in training to mean he can’t get into a 20 man squad of a team who’s had a long list of injuries for most of the season. 

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: March 8, 2021, 12:53:02 pm »
Starting to feel that the boss didn't want him (or Kabak) and is making a point,feel sorry for him if that's the case but it is what it is.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #294 on: March 8, 2021, 12:58:23 pm »
If you want to take the optimistic view, neither Robbo or Fabinho played soon after signing, and that was with a pre-season.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #295 on: March 8, 2021, 12:59:49 pm »
Starting to feel that the boss didn't want him (or Kabak) and is making a point,feel sorry for him if that's the case but it is what it is.

“For Ben it’s not easy in our situation; we brought him in and he has to adapt and all of these kind of things. He is a really good player.”

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: March 8, 2021, 01:11:08 pm »
“For Ben it’s not easy in our situation; we brought him in and he has to adapt and all of these kind of things. He is a really good player.”

You expect him to say anything else ?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #297 on: March 8, 2021, 01:12:12 pm »
Bizarre transfer if he's actually fit now.  Just put him in.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: March 8, 2021, 01:18:32 pm »
You expect him to say anything else ?

I very much doubt he’s making a point, that’d be vindictive, and he is anything but.

If he simply isn’t showing it yet in training, then that’s enough reasons. There’s been little chance for intensive training this season, it was as bad a time to join as could be.

We’ll know next season what the deal is, chances are that so long as he shows enough development and ability in pre-season matches, he’ll have a part to play.

The whole situation was just mad, injury crisis beyond reason, last day of the transfer window, scrabbling around to buy a player from a lower league, who’d never in his life played at this level, like somehow that would ‘fix’ a huge problem - we where already using one player who had zero experience at this level in that role, in Nat Phillips. Which was why I guess, they ended up signing 2 players. At least Ozan had experience at a higher level and has played internationally, but still...

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: March 8, 2021, 01:21:38 pm »
If you want to take the optimistic view, neither Robbo or Fabinho played soon after signing, and that was with a pre-season.

Very true, but it doesn’t make the signing any less strange. The last thing we needed on transfer deadline day was somebody that was going to take half a season to acclimatise

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: March 8, 2021, 01:22:40 pm »
If he doesnt play against Wolves then it will be April the next time he gets to play.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #301 on: March 8, 2021, 01:23:21 pm »
The whole situation was just mad, injury crisis beyond reason, last day of the transfer window, scrabbling around to buy a player from a lower league, who’d never in his life played at this level, like somehow that would ‘fix’ a huge problem - we where already using one player who had zero experience at this level in that role, in Nat Phillips. Which was why I guess, they ended up signing 2 players. At least Ozan had experience at a higher level and has played internationally, but still...

I'd trust a Championship centre back over an U23 all day long though, I know he's had knocks but it might be getting a bit daft now.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: March 8, 2021, 01:33:52 pm »
I very much doubt he’s making a point, that’d be vindictive, and he is anything but.

If he simply isn’t showing it yet in training, then that’s enough reasons. There’s been little chance for intensive training this season, it was as bad a time to join as could be.

We’ll know next season what the deal is, chances are that so long as he shows enough development and ability in pre-season matches, he’ll have a part to play.

I don't think not playing a player he didn't want can be classed as being vindictive.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: March 8, 2021, 01:44:15 pm »
I don't think not playing a player he didn't want can be classed as being vindictive.

Him not playing isn’t even a thing imo - cos if he isn’t seeing it in training, why play him, sure Williams isn’t great, but he’s seen far more of him - there’s a trust element there. 

My respose was to the suggestion that he isn't playing ‘to make a point’ cos he didn’t want him signed. He isn’t playing cos he isn’t good enough (at the moment), and he has more trust in players he’s seen more of at this point.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #304 on: March 8, 2021, 02:57:04 pm »
Very true, but it doesn’t make the signing any less strange. The last thing we needed on transfer deadline day was somebody that was going to take half a season to acclimatise

Wasn't that almost going to be applicable to any centre back being signed?

I agree it might be more pronounced for someone making the step up from the Championship. But any centre back would have been getting parachuted into a very difficult situation. We've seen how much Kabak has struggled at times and he has a better pedigree at the top level than Davies.

I think it was almost an impossible task for anyone we could have realistically bought in January. That doesn't make signing someone wrong. It's just the realisation that there's an adaption period for any player in a new squad system. That's going to be tougher if you are less experienced and/or the team is struggling. As an example look at how a talented and experienced player like Thiago has been in this situation. He's struggled to put his mark on this team and he's arguably a world class midfielder.

It's why I don't believe the notion that us getting a centre back 4 weeks earlier on January 1st would have changed the season that much. I think anyone would have struggled in the circumstances. Even more so when the pool of available centre backs is shrunk to those who are actually available.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: March 8, 2021, 03:09:05 pm »
Wasn't that almost going to be applicable to any centre back being signed?

Of course it was. And yet all through December and January, there was so much shit being talked about how we should just sign any old player to make up the numbers...

Even if we'd got Caleta-Car, he would have needed time to settle in. Kabak is only playing regularly because we're that desperate.

Short of another player of VVD's calibre, no one is walking into this team and instantly looking like they belong there.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: March 8, 2021, 03:49:23 pm »
Must be really shit if Phillips and Williams get in ahead of him :D

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #307 on: March 8, 2021, 04:02:09 pm »
There is the possibility that when he turned up to training they realised that he isn't any good. Or he's just waiting for him.to adapt.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #308 on: March 8, 2021, 04:10:45 pm »
Must be really shit if Phillips and Williams get in ahead of him :D

Phillips, no. Williams, absolutely.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #309 on: March 8, 2021, 04:13:00 pm »
We're losing every game as our lot can't be arsed. May as well play him, he might shock and put some effort in.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #310 on: March 8, 2021, 05:09:25 pm »

In ordinary circumstances it wouldn't be an issue. Klopp kept Robertson out for pretty much half a season while he adjusted despite Moreno stinking out the place and costing us goals.

It's the fact we didn't need a player who we could give a few months to bed in, it was a matter of urgency.

Klopp has gone well out of his way to avoid playing Nat Phillips alongside Rhys Williams. He's tried everything to not do that, including throwing Kabak straight in and giving him a run, rushing Matip back and moving Henderson to centre back as well as Fabinho. Even against Villa's kindergarten XI we started Fabinho with Rhys Williams IIRC.

That's not to write Davies off (i.e. the Robbo example) but I always made the point that it's not just any centre back we need, it's a centre back which Klopp would trust to play there . The ominous thing was Rhys Williams being picked ahead of him. Rhys hadn't played a minute in the league since that sub appearance against West Brom. That does smack of Klopp making a point. Whether that point is just that he doesn't rate Davies.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: March 8, 2021, 05:29:27 pm »
It's why I don't believe the notion that us getting a centre back 4 weeks earlier on January 1st would have changed the season that much. I think anyone would have struggled in the circumstances. Even more so when the pool of available centre backs is shrunk to those who are actually available.

For me it was the psychological factor as much as anything that meant it would have been a positive contribution to bring a player in on 1 Jan [assuming said player was half decent]. It was a message, to players and fans [and indeed manager] alike, of 'we see the problem, we are going to sort it, the cavalry is coming". Instead we overplayed Fabinho and Matip until we had to press the emergency button on Kabak and Davies [as well as the strange decision to loan Minamino - quite possibly to afford it]. It all felt like we were saying to a players who had been to the wall for us for 3 years - keep going, it'll be fine, and we were storing up a problem that was just itching to come to the surface. It was never going to be fine. Even bringing in Kabak on day 1, and I am not sure he's going to be the next Baresi or whatever, it means more time to settle and get used to the systems. We're trying to - as it were - fix a plane whilst it's still in the air at the minute. Whilst a CB on Jan 1 may not have changed things much, I certainly don't think it would have done us any damage.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: March 8, 2021, 05:29:42 pm »
In ordinary circumstances it wouldn't be an issue. Klopp kept Robertson out for pretty much half a season while he adjusted despite Moreno stinking out the place and costing us goals.

It's the fact we didn't need a player who we could give a few months to bed in, it was a matter of urgency.

Klopp has gone well out of his way to avoid playing Nat Phillips alongside Rhys Williams. He's tried everything to not do that, including throwing Kabak straight in and giving him a run, rushing Matip back and moving Henderson to centre back as well as Fabinho. Even against Villa's kindergarten XI we started Fabinho with Rhys Williams IIRC.

That's not to write Davies off (i.e. the Robbo example) but I always made the point that it's not just any centre back we need, it's a centre back which Klopp would trust to play there . The ominous thing was Rhys Williams being picked ahead of him. Rhys hadn't played a minute in the league since that sub appearance against West Brom. That does smack of Klopp making a point. Whether that point is just that he doesn't rate Davies.

Although I think the point still stands that Moreno on the whole probably wasn't good enough, Moreno (to his credit) did play quite well in that short sequence before he picked up an injury and Robbo came into the team. Once Robbo came in, we never really looked back and Moreno couldn't force his way back into the side.

Little bit different in this case as we don't really have an incumbent who is fit and playing well. I thought it was a bit odd to say he's fit enough to be included and then he's not even in the squad and instead we're seeing Rhys Williams who, by far, has been our weakest CB this season and looks completely out of his depth.

My guess is that perhaps he thought it was too short a turnaround to the Leipzig game and that he plans to field Fab and Davies at CB against Leipzig?
« Last Edit: March 8, 2021, 05:31:43 pm by mrantarctica »

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #313 on: March 8, 2021, 05:41:32 pm »
Is Davies best suited to a system? Maybe a system Klopp wants to play and is working on in training, but the other players for the system aren't available?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: March 8, 2021, 05:55:07 pm »
Poor guy will be ready to start when we don't need him anymore.

Offline AmSeeker

• ABbitOfAnAttention
  • Main Stander
« Reply #315 on: March 8, 2021, 05:55:26 pm »
Ridiculous. The remit was we needed a centre back to come in and get playing straight away. At best Klopp wants to work with him and take his time, and worst he isn't that great.

Makes no sense either way.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: March 8, 2021, 05:58:11 pm »
Eight pages of us declaring Davies’ worth to our squad before he has kicked a ball for us.

Not dissing anyone here, I just find it mildly amusing.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: March 8, 2021, 05:59:55 pm »
Eight pages of us declaring Davies’ worth to our squad before he has kicked a ball for us.

Not dissing anyone here, I just find it mildly amusing.

Any songs for when he makes his debut against Tranmere in July?

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: March 8, 2021, 06:09:13 pm »
I'd trust a Championship centre back over an U23 all day long though, I know he's had knocks but it might be getting a bit daft now.

This. I can understand Phillips keeping his place ahead of him, but Rhys Williams - whose confidence is shot to pieces since January and who the manager talked about needing to play at his age level to develop more - getting picked ahead of him is ludicrous. Absolutely no chance Davies is less able to play our system than a kid who's been badly exposed and has no pace at all.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: March 8, 2021, 06:50:00 pm »
Any songs for when he makes his debut against Tranmere in July?

Celtic announced their preseason fixtures this early ye?
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke