Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1425574 times)

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #3800 on: January 30, 2019, 10:30:21 pm »
West Ham will be difficult. Theyve lost 3 on the trot and theyll be raising their games for this. Anderson and Arnautovic their main threats

We should be annihalating West Ham. They're woeful

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3801 on: January 30, 2019, 10:31:41 pm »
Just can't let this be two bad games in a row with dropped points against West Ham. They're awful defensively and we'll get far better opportunities than we did today. Let's bounce back in style and win that.

Anyway we've gained a point on them. Massive difference between 5 and 4 points. Two draws on our side with two wins coming from them, and we would still be a point ahead. If it was at 4 points then that same scenario would mean they would be ahead on goal difference. It gives us a bit more scope for error.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3802 on: January 30, 2019, 10:32:27 pm »

We'd better start defending better. If we hand chances to Arnautovic and Anderson like we did to Leicester it might not end well. I think we win but I won't be taking it for granted.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3803 on: January 30, 2019, 10:33:16 pm »

Like City should have beaten Palace and Newcastle?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3804 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:07 pm »

Indeed. They beat Arsenal and Utd at home and actually created good chances against City, albeit they still lost. We cannot take a team lightly that has some good players.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3805 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:52 pm »
It’s a point gained.

And one least game to play.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3806 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:21 pm »
I thought we were going to lose this match so it's a point gained. Whether the pressure has got to the players is debatable but the pressure is certainly getting to the crowd who were painfully quiet.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3807 on: January 30, 2019, 10:43:54 pm »
I thought we were going to lose this match so it's a point gained. Whether the pressure has got to the players is debatable but the pressure is certainly getting to the crowd who were painfully quiet.

The crowd didn't help tonight.

Have to be move positive and back the team.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3808 on: January 30, 2019, 10:44:04 pm »
I think some people were counting their 7 points before they had hatched.

Offline Upanishad

• Change is good
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • hi
« Reply #3809 on: January 30, 2019, 10:44:56 pm »
Difficult playing conditions, and Leicester were difficult to break down, but the players' mentality is worrying. Just not positive enough, need to be tougher mentally, quicker movement and passing. Get the job done, there is no room for bottling it. Klopp needs to get this in their heads before the pressure really builds up with fewer games to go.
Voyager-1 is on course to approach a star called AC +793888, but it will only get to within two light-years of it and it will be tens of thousands of years before it does so.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3810 on: January 30, 2019, 10:46:16 pm »

There was talk of possibly being 10 ahead by the time City play Everton, as we kick off before them.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3811 on: January 30, 2019, 10:46:49 pm »

wasnt everyone just a little bit ?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3812 on: January 30, 2019, 10:47:25 pm »

If you had offered us five points lead at this stage of the season we would all have taken it. As Roy Evans said that one point could be the one that wins us the league.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3813 on: January 30, 2019, 10:50:03 pm »

Quite right. Posters had faith we'd put an average club to bed to give ourselves a nice lead. Cardinal sin really. Let us not make such a giant misjudgement in the future and remain cautious at all moments.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #3814 on: January 30, 2019, 10:50:11 pm »
There was talk of possibly being 10 ahead by the time City play Everton, as we kick off before them.

We could be a point behind them after they beat Everton and level at best! They will smash Arsenal on the weekend before destroying the Blues. I can’t see us beating West Ham.
Internet terrorist

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3815 on: January 30, 2019, 10:51:19 pm »
It's going to be hard but the Anfield crowd have to put their fear to one side and back the crowd regardless of what is happening on the pitch. Anfield is supposed to lift the players but the nervy atmosphere will likely make the players be scared of fucking up rather than play with freedom.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3816 on: January 30, 2019, 10:51:21 pm »
We could be a point behind them after they beat Everton and level at best! They will smash Arsenal on the weekend before destroying the Blues. I can’t see us beating West Ham.

We'll be lucky to come top 4 from here.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #3817 on: January 30, 2019, 10:53:03 pm »
We'll be lucky to come top 4 from here.

Chelsea only 14 behind!
Internet terrorist

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3818 on: January 30, 2019, 10:53:53 pm »

Yep, the key word in the sentence is SHOULD. Not saying its nailed on, not saying we've already won, not predicting anything. Simply saying we SHOULD be annihalating West Ham as they are woeful.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3819 on: January 30, 2019, 10:54:48 pm »
This is more a general point rather than towards the crowd or anyone in particular but we really need to chill out a bit. Its January. We cannot be making these games cup finals at such an early stage.

I know City are a good side, but they have lost 4 times already. They are not clocking 100 points.

We need to learn to relax a bit. People will be giving themselves heart attacks if they make every game a cup final so early.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3820 on: January 30, 2019, 10:59:35 pm »
Well, shit happens. And yet, we are still a point better off than we were before this round.

Luck has a lot to do with it. We've been lucky sometimes (e.g., Everton), we were unlucky today. Should McGuire had been red-carded, not only he wouldn't score the goal, but Leicester would have been with 10 men for a long time. The save that Ali made was from a McGuide header from an offside position. Same ref second half called an offside on Mane when he was a yard on. Keita should have had a penalty.

Meh, still a point better off.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3821 on: January 30, 2019, 11:05:50 pm »
This is more a general point rather than towards the crowd or anyone in particular but we really need to chill out a bit. Its January. We cannot be making these games cup finals at such an early stage.

I know City are a good side, but they have lost 4 times already. They are not clocking 100 points.

We need to learn to relax a bit. People will be giving themselves heart attacks if they make every game a cup final so early.

Been almost screaming this at people for weeks. Does no good unfortunately.

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3822 on: January 30, 2019, 11:15:15 pm »
No-one is being pessimistic.

The mantra from the club and Klopp is 'one game at a time'. I think we'd be best to adopt that as a fanbase too.

Come match day we should all be excited and those of going the games should be shouting and cheering our boys home. But that's very different then getting ahead of ourselves.

The 'one game at a time mantra' is what Klopp is preaching now. It's what our managers and players in the past preached. With over a 3rd of the season to go, I, and I suspect, others probably want the fanbase to adopt that same attitude. You shouldn't view that as pessimism though.

The other thing I rally against is the 'bantz' culture of the modern football fan. I'm not accusing anyone in here of that. But there is this culture of people wanting to antagonise rival supporters at any opportunity. A saw a bit of that on social media last night. Liverpool fans goading City fans about the league being over.

It's against that backdrop that I've been riled by some of the things in here. It goes against what Klopp is preaching and what we did when we were the best club in the land and racking up league titles at will.

100%. I think this came to bite us on the backside today. The whole "Let's get excited" seems to be an exercise in contriving excitement and leads to increased expectation, a sense of precariousness and desperation when what we need is a sense of calm.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3823 on: January 30, 2019, 11:18:16 pm »
As I said earlier, Man City cannot really afford to drop anymore points and we can.  If we have a dip in form it has to correspond to City's form improving.  In that sense it's a point gained.

We're five ahead of them in the table, seven ahead in the APLT.  We're going to have blips.  As long as our blips are not as bad as City's we should be fine.  :wave
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3824 on: January 30, 2019, 11:18:51 pm »

And this. Another one that's spot on. There is absolutely no need to lose your cool at this stage of the season. More than the players, it is a certain section of the fanbase that needs to calm their tits. The players have been very cool and composed so far and today there was anxiety all over the pitch.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3825 on: January 30, 2019, 11:20:14 pm »
It's going to be hard but the Anfield crowd have to put their fear to one side and back the crowd regardless of what is happening on the pitch. Anfield is supposed to lift the players but the nervy atmosphere will likely make the players be scared of fucking up rather than play with freedom.

Absolutely, felt that was the case even before Leicester equalised tonight. I've probably been capable of it to in the past, but it felt tonight a lot of players were being digged out around me, especially Keita and Shaqiri. Neither played well but it's the last thing we need.

Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3826 on: January 30, 2019, 11:21:51 pm »
The problem is, we're dealing with human beings. Its all good and well saying just do this but who really isn't affected by other teams results, the way a game is going for us etc. We're all human, if you're watching a game and getting anxious it will show, unfortunately as much as the whole 'one game at a time' is a great idea, in reality you won't see any fanbases actions reflect this kind of attitude ever.

I'd love it to just be remaining calm and just willing the boys on all game every game but no one does that, especially with whats at stake. Its admirable to want that and we all do, but its just not really realistic... unless you're a robot. Its the right kind of attitude and way to think about the game, that side of it is realistic but during actual matches, logic goes out of the window at times

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #3827 on: January 30, 2019, 11:23:36 pm »

I agree but the crowd was far better tonight than against Palace! The early goal obviously helps but we’re all so desperate for the title!!

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3828 on: January 30, 2019, 11:23:59 pm »
12 and a draw to go
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3829 on: January 30, 2019, 11:25:27 pm »
Said it in the match thread but everyone at half 8 last night would have taken the extra point. Even though we weren't very good tonight we've been cost by that fucking old bastard Atkinson who's always been fucking terrible refereeing our games. He was looking right at the Keita when he was brought down in the box. Just fucking retire you old twat because you must be 50 odd.

It'll probably be back down to two points before West Ham, which I think will be tough, but hopefully if we get the first goal we won't lose it from there. With Fabinho back in the middle we should take control and look to punish them with our width.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3830 on: January 30, 2019, 11:32:25 pm »

Correct

There’s 14 games left that’s nearly 3rd of the season

We’re top by 5 let’s see what’s happening end of March.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #3831 on: January 30, 2019, 11:34:18 pm »
The gap could have been anything from 1 point to 7 tonight after these latest games...disappointed we drew tonight, but deffo settle for a 5 point lead.

City's fuck up last night was far worse and less expected than us drawing tonight against a Leicester side very decent on the road.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:38:28 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3832 on: January 30, 2019, 11:35:55 pm »
I can see both sides of the debate but can’t really blame people for getting carried away last night. It was such a brilliant, unexpected result that had me punching the air. Yes it’s only January and there’s a long way to go but we are (and still are) closer than we’ve been in ages, it’s hard not to look ahead.

We could definitely do with chilling out a bit and take results like this on our stride but it’s only because we’re all so desperate to win it. I want it to be Monday already! Actually, not strictly true, for as long as we are in front I find it easier to watch/follow the City games than ours if that makes sense. When they’re playing and we have a lead it feels like the pressure is off. They’re expected to win, if they don’t thats a huge bonus. Tonight there was that despoeration to make sure we won partly so we can convince ourselves we’ll be fine.

We’re still in a great position. We just never do things the easiest way possible!

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #3833 on: January 31, 2019, 12:00:58 am »
I think what this week has proved is that it’s absolutely pointless trying to predict what both of our results are going to be.

The other thing is, which could be far more important, is that we were starting believe that City were infallible. But that isn’t the case.
YWNA

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3834 on: January 31, 2019, 12:02:00 am »
I think what this week has proved is that it’s absolutely pointless trying to predict what both of our results are going to be.

The other thing is, which could be far more important, is that we were starting believe that City were infallible. But that isn’t the case.

Pretty much this. City didn't gain ground on us which is the main thing. Every game again is difficult .

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3835 on: January 31, 2019, 12:05:50 am »
We might as well accept that it's going to the wire or maybe even the last game of the season. When have we ever made it easy for ourselves? Home game against Leicester, they've lost 3 on the bounce, chance to go 7 points clear and we put in one of our worst performances of the season. That's two massive opportunities missed so far this season - we needed just a draw against City to stay 7 clear but lost and we needed a win here to regain the 7 point lead but couldn't do it again. That's two times now where the media and every fan and their dog has labeled us as Champions-elect and we haven't responded well to the pressure.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3836 on: January 31, 2019, 12:06:36 am »
We've only lost once and that was to City. They have had worse results against Leicester and Palace than we have.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3837 on: January 31, 2019, 12:11:21 am »
West Ham will be difficult. Theyve lost 3 on the trot and theyll be raising their games for this. Anderson and Arnautovic their main threats

Yeah, coming off three defeats clearly means they’re up for it.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3838 on: January 31, 2019, 12:12:18 am »
Such a significant result last night.

You can now look at City's remaining fixtures and see a potential for dropping points just about anywhere, except for the very obvious ones, like Bournemouth, Cardiff, Arsenal and Everton ( ;D )  Us on the other hand have only really been countered by City, and we've proven adept this season at grinding out results - stuff of champions they say.

The fat lady ain't singing, but to quote Vegeta, "I'd say she just hummed a few bars".

And I've long known that if we win the title rivals and hateful pundits will resort to the "Leicester with money" argument. It's bitterness incarnate if they do though - you don't put in the kind of shift we have against a City side that cantered to the title last year if you're just Leicester.  Yes, the true challenge will be winning the title more than once, but that's for another season. 

Let's get the monkey off our back first, and in the meantime let them stew in their own filth.

The fat lady has just had her gob firmly taped shut, and the tape won't be getting pulled off until she is in a position to sing as loudly as she possibly can, will it?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3839 on: January 31, 2019, 12:12:52 am »
We might as well accept that it's going to the wire or maybe even the last game of the season. When have we ever made it easy for ourselves? Home game against Leicester, they've lost 3 on the bounce, chance to go 7 points clear and we put in one of our worst performances of the season. That's two massive opportunities missed so far this season - we needed just a draw against City to stay 7 clear but lost and we needed a win here to regain the 7 point lead but couldn't do it again. That's two times now where the media and every fan and their dog has labeled us as Champions-elect and we haven't responded well to the pressure.

Yes, but this is where we need to stop listening to the agendas that they are setting all around us. I mean really why do you listen when its obvious they are trying to amp up the pressure on us? We are going against the richest assembled team in Premier League history, so obvioulsy it will go down to the wire, we're not miracle workers. But what we are is a proper and talented team that on its day can punch way above our regular weight. So lets stop being so down-hearted when we have a five point lead going into February. Cast your mind back to the start of the season most pundits and media people were saying we wouldn't get anywhere near City? So exactly why are we beating ourselves up over tonight? We're in a  pretty awesome situation.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"