Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1429007 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #12760 on: April 24, 2019, 11:32:53 am »
Manu just has to keep City out for the first 15 minutes because that's when the vast majority of their goals are scored.

Not the vast majority. I think it's 19 goals out of 87 in the league so far have been scored by City in the 1st 15 minutes (~22% of all goals).

In saying that, it's still a lot of early goals and probably means they've opened the scoring early in a lot of their games (still less than 50% though).

They have a definite plan to blow teams away early on. They haven't scored many late goals. Is that because they are tired come the last 20 mins of games? Or is it because they don't really need to score most times during this period?

I don't think United have a chance tonight. However, if they can keep it level with 20 minutes to go then we'll see what City are all about. They'll need to commit players forward and United may have space to exploit with their fast attackers. Massive ask for United to keep it level by 70 minutes though
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12761 on: April 24, 2019, 11:37:00 am »
Agree with this, especially the point about keeping it tight and nerves kicking in if so.

Only issue is that Spurs had two, maybe three, brilliant players in Eriksen, Son and Moura who caused City all sorts of issues and, like you said, really should have scored at least once. I doubt whether Pogba, Rashford and Lukaku etc are capable of causing the same problems.

The fixture last year at Old Trafford probably should have ended 2-2 if not for 2 point blank saves by Ederson late.  Utd will have all the same players available.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #12762 on: April 24, 2019, 11:37:18 am »
This thread is unbearable

Not as unbearable as it will be if City win.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12763 on: April 24, 2019, 11:38:14 am »
Both teams to kick shit out of each other with Fernandinho getting a red card.  Clearly offside United winner in the last minute.   United fans falling out with themselves over the outcome.  Another cardigan ripped off in frustration.

More realistically a 3-0 stroll for City.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #12764 on: April 24, 2019, 11:39:52 am »
This thread is 100% expectable. What's 'unbearable' is the situation of having to wish victory of one bunch of ghastly c*nts over another bunch of ghastly c*nts in a title-deciding match of ghastly c*nts.

I agree with the general gist of this.

However, no matter what the score tonight's game it won't be title deciding at the moment. If City win they'll still need more points in the remaining 3 games. If United win or draw then we'll still need to win 3 games to win the title. Easier said than done.

I hope United get something tonight. But if City do slip at any point I genuinely worry about some of fans mental state! It's going to be interesting to see how some people handle the fact that the destiny of the title would be back in our hands again. That's when the pressure would really ramp up.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12765 on: April 24, 2019, 11:40:30 am »
They did at the Etihad last season, so they are capable. Hopefully they are up for it tonight

Well Pogba did I suppose. I remember watching that game and thinking, again, he was anonymous and a liability for 99% of it. Two goals though..

Not sure Rashford and Lukaku carry the same threat as Moura and Son though. Son especially caused City huge problems.

Think Utd have to score first if they're to take anything from this game.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #12766 on: April 24, 2019, 11:41:37 am »
I've said this a fair bit myself and I actually think it's completely wrong now. I think teams go in with 'keep it tight for 20 minutes' in their head and this causes nervousness which leads to so, so many conceding early. You need to keep it tight for 90 minutes and give city some problems of their own if you want to beat them. 'Surviving the first 20' seems to be doing teams more harm than good.
Yeah, I actually think they're at it until they score and only then do they take their foot off the pedal. Since they score most of their goals in the first 15, people just assume that you just have to ride out the first quarter. The attacks will be as furious at 40" if there are no goals, as they were at 10".

I would say first half and the start of the 2nd half. If you get past that, it'll be easier. City will still attack in waves, but not as rabid and with a bit of doubt- overthinking attacks- image of their manager.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:44:56 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #12767 on: April 24, 2019, 11:42:52 am »
Yeah yeah well said, and remember Shitty still have to play Lye-chester City this season so that will be tough too.

And Brutal Burnley.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #12768 on: April 24, 2019, 11:45:29 am »
I agree with the general gist of this.

However, no matter what the score tonight's game it won't be title deciding at the moment. If City win they'll still need more points in the remaining 3 games. If United win or draw then we'll still need to win 3 games to win the title. Easier said than done.

I hope United get something tonight. But if City do slip at any point I genuinely worry about some of fans mental state! It's going to be interesting to see how some people handle the fact that the destiny of the title would be back in our hands again. That's when the pressure would really ramp up.

Our fans or theirs?

There've been some right harbingers of doom on here before the Cardiff game. If City win tonight they'll be out in force again wringing their hands and spreading ashes on their heads.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12769 on: April 24, 2019, 11:46:15 am »
Yeah yeah well said, and remember Shitty still have to play Lye-chester City this season so that will be tough too.

With Brent-dan as the manager too.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12770 on: April 24, 2019, 11:47:44 am »
Fuck Manchester United.
Can’t wait for Friday to watch Reds.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #12771 on: April 24, 2019, 11:47:49 am »
I confess...I'm a closet Manchester United fan and I didn't even realise it until today.  I'm overwhelmed with a desire to see them beat those beastly Manchester City ogres tonight at the theatre of dreams (or whatever it's called) and even a measly draw will suit me down to the ground.  Do you think I'll ever get better? 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #12772 on: April 24, 2019, 11:49:11 am »
Our fans or theirs?

There've been some right harbingers of doom on here before the Cardiff game. If City win tonight they'll be out in force again wringing their hands and spreading ashes on their heads.
It's going to be United, Leicester, Burnley, Brighton. One of those. They'll drop points in one of those.
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #12773 on: April 24, 2019, 11:50:23 am »
Fuck Manchester United.
Can’t wait for Friday to watch Reds.
But just for interest sake... Les watch tonight! ;D
Plenty of time until Friday...

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12774 on: April 24, 2019, 11:52:31 am »
Well Pogba did I suppose. I remember watching that game and thinking, again, he was anonymous and a liability for 99% of it. Two goals though..

Not sure Rashford and Lukaku carry the same threat as Moura and Son though. Son especially caused City huge problems.

Think Utd have to score first if they're to take anything from this game.

Aye, Rashford is an utterly woeful footballer. His basics are shocking, and now he clearly fancies himself too after all the dumb manc and engerland hype.

Bit of a shame, for the sake of this one game anyway, that they're entirely reliant on him to lead the line (unless they play the Hulk up front) and Martial is a one great game every fifteen kind of player.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12775 on: April 24, 2019, 11:53:43 am »
"We have got to be ready for the press, for their pressing, they have got quality on the ball, so we have got to defend well," Solskjaer told a news conference.

"When we win it we have got to be ready for their aggression, because they will snap at your ankles and heels and kick you, they are not going to allow us easy counter-attacking because there will be fouls.

"I have absolutely no doubt about it because when you watch those games they commit so many players forward and they will be stopping us as high as they can I think."

Asked about making tackles high up the pitch, Solskjaer added: "You don't get the yellow cards, do you? But that's just because they commit so many players forward and you can clearly see that they've got them in that mould of trying to win the ball back, and they do make fouls.

"It's up to us to play through that press, be ready enough, play one and two-touch, don't give them time. If you spend two or three touches... it's not my decision."

Sorry if posted - Ole calling out the tactical fouling - Pep isn't happy. Good on Ole to call it out:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3832683/manchester-bosses-solskjaer-guardiola-at-odds-over-use-of-tactical-fouls

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12776 on: April 24, 2019, 12:00:20 pm »

Sorry if posted - Ole calling out the tactical fouling - Pep isn't happy. Good on Ole to call it out:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3832683/manchester-bosses-solskjaer-guardiola-at-odds-over-use-of-tactical-fouls

Guardiola, let me shock you, lied in his retort
Guardiola said he wants his team to win the ball quickly, but insisted that he had never instructed his players to deliberately foul.

"I know exactly what I said to my players from day one to the last day," he said.

I saw a short clip of their Amazon documentary last year and he clearly instructs his midfielders (Gundogan and can't remember who) to go out and commit fouls and take yellows.  Shame they haven't been called out for this earlier in the season. Could have got it on the lazy pundits agenda, alongside their Mo is the only diver in the league one

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12777 on: April 24, 2019, 12:03:34 pm »

Will be interesting to see if City can chase, harry and press in the same way as they did against Tottenham twice, being the 3rd game in 7 days. 

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12778 on: April 24, 2019, 12:03:59 pm »
To defend Guardiola, some have pointed to the fact that City have conceded fewer fouls than any other side in the Premier League. But when you add the context of how long opponents have spent in possession (for City, only 973 minutes of the 3060 minutes played this season according to Opta), Guardiola’s men concede more fouls per minute without the ball than any other team.

https://www.football365.com/news/dirty-city-solskjaer-was-right-to-call-man-city-on-tactical-fouls

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #12779 on: April 24, 2019, 12:04:44 pm »
Guardiola, let me shock you, lied in his retort
I saw a short clip of their Amazon documentary last year and he clearly instructs his midfielders (Gundogan and can't remember who) to go out and commit fouls and take yellows.  Shame they haven't been called out for this earlier in the season. Could have got it on the lazy pundits agenda, alongside their Mo is the only diver in the league one
We all know Fernandinho is the other mate. Been getting away with murder these past 2 seasons. Refs just ignore anything to do with him.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12780 on: April 24, 2019, 12:10:05 pm »
Hard to think of a non-Liverpool game which i've been this anxious about. 13/14 i guess there were a few City games you felt invested in, but that City team were different and were prone to a slip-up or two in the run-in, so the desperation wasn't as much when watching them. This City team we know are pretty fearsome, so this one good opportunity that has popped up for them to slip up feels like a do-or-die moment.

I know many believe there is hope left after this but it will end up being a very long shot if they came through this. It's hard to ever have much hope in City dropping points at home. An incredible home record for two seasons now, so the Leicester game for me is a non-starter. Burnley away is a tough game on a normal day but the issue is how much are they going to put into it. For the smaller sides to get something off City, their intensity off the ball always has to be at it's absolute maximum. Serious doubts about whether Burnley will be playing at their usual narky self. Brighton are one side who could bring their best if they're in a relegation battle, but again a major long shot. Their lack of attacking threat is a big problem.

It's pretty much all on tonight. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst i guess.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12781 on: April 24, 2019, 12:11:08 pm »
Any webcams we can watch or flights we can track?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #12782 on: April 24, 2019, 12:14:26 pm »
Any webcams we can watch or flights we can track?
Should look for a cam that can snap the City bus as they arrive..

"Give it up for Fabian Delph!.."

Edit: more like- "Give up. It's Fabian Delph!.."

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12783 on: April 24, 2019, 12:15:13 pm »
We all know Fernandinho is the other mate. Been getting away with murder these past 2 seasons. Refs just ignore anything to do with him.
I’m pretty sure it specifically wasn’t him, maybe de bruyne, because you don’t want your deepest midfielder and most adept tackler to have to walk a tightrope in a yellow. Of course he doesn’t need to be encouraged to make bookable fouls too, and seemingly doesn’t need to worry about bookings either

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12784 on: April 24, 2019, 12:28:12 pm »
It takes a big refereeing performance to stand up to man city and their bullying tactics, not only tonight but in their remaining games. Take away their tactical fouls and diving and they'd struggle in a lot of games. I can't remember the last time I saw man city try to actually play a game of football properly for 90 minutes. I don't think they can under Guardiola.

The night man city blinked first.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12785 on: April 24, 2019, 12:31:22 pm »
definitely think the everton result has caused severe ripples in the united camp and am confident that they will put in a performance tonight, whether its good enough remains to be seen.
just hoping de gea has a worldie

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #12786 on: April 24, 2019, 12:32:15 pm »
It takes a big refereeing performance to stand up to man city and their bullying tactics, not only tonight but in their remaining games. Take away their tactical fouls and diving and they'd struggle in a lot of games. I can't remember the last time I saw man city try to actually play a game of football properly for 90 minutes. I don't think they can under Guardiola.

The night man city blinked first.

Reminds me a lot of Barca under Pep..
Apart from the diving that was the thing that pissed off a lot about Barca under Pep.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12787 on: April 24, 2019, 12:35:27 pm »
Got to be one of the weirdest days ever to be a liverpool fan this. Full on cheering on united. So strange.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12788 on: April 24, 2019, 12:36:24 pm »
Got to be one of the weirdest days ever to be a liverpool fan this. Full on cheering on united. So strange.

Happened in 13/14.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12789 on: April 24, 2019, 12:37:17 pm »
Aye, Rashford is an utterly woeful footballer. His basics are shocking, and now he clearly fancies himself too after all the dumb manc and engerland hype.

Barney Ronay (who I usually find insufferable) once described Welbeck as a "goal-curious go-fast man" and I think the same applies to Rashford. He is quick which means he is occasionally useful in the transition-heavy English game, but I think he may actually be a bit shit just like Welbeck.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #12790 on: April 24, 2019, 12:42:24 pm »
Come on United you beautiful bastards.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12791 on: April 24, 2019, 12:42:24 pm »
Hope we'll see Guardiola throw his cardigan Sherwood-style tonight

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #12792 on: April 24, 2019, 12:44:31 pm »

Bit of a shame, for the sake of this one game anyway, that they're entirely reliant on him to lead the line (unless they play the Hulk up front) and Martial is a one great game every fifteen kind of player.
Heard Barca's interested in him. (bs most deffo)
That's prolly why there are rumours his head's gone and he's been acting Billy Big Bollix in the Utd dressing room. I'm sure that's rubbed Pogba up the wrong way though. He should be the bee's knees, the mutt's nutz, the dog's bollix.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12793 on: April 24, 2019, 12:45:48 pm »
Happened in 13/14.

This time out we need a united result for it to be back in our hands, last time we didn't. This is different.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #12794 on: April 24, 2019, 12:47:04 pm »
Come on United you beautiful bastards.

Bastard? It's a sign that we win... It's a sign. **Jon Snow.

It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #12795 on: April 24, 2019, 12:49:52 pm »
Unfortunately for us, United sold their best chance of causing City problems - Felliani.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12796 on: April 24, 2019, 12:50:08 pm »
1-1 with a red card being shown at some point. We then proceed to thrash Huddersfield.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #12797 on: April 24, 2019, 12:50:54 pm »
Bastard? It's a sign that we win... It's a sign. **Jon Snow.

::) ;D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12798 on: April 24, 2019, 12:51:50 pm »
Not expecting anything but a City win today. Not getting my hopes up.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #12799 on: April 24, 2019, 12:56:16 pm »
I think we should go with a strong side tonight, and get at them from the off.
Something like this:

De Gea
Valencia--Jones--Smalling--Shaw
                    Matic
             Pogba---Herrera
     JLingz----Rashie----Martial

That should do it!
GGMU!!