Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1428369 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #12560 on: April 23, 2019, 05:01:30 pm »
Checking a score after full time is fraught with its own dangers too. Twitter? BBC Sport? Here?

Bring back Telextext!

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12561 on: April 23, 2019, 05:04:27 pm »
There have been some strange goings on which have contributed to a difference between 1 and 3 points. That header by Morisson is a clear example. But there are others.

Those 2 injury time winners against Everton and Spurs are just bizarre. 99 times out of 100 both would never have happened.

Then there is the game against City. We were inches from scoring and Sane was inches from not scoring.

Whatever happens, happens, but I feel there might yet be a twist from an unknown source in this epic title race.

Online KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #12562 on: April 23, 2019, 05:13:48 pm »

Jesus I'd love a fucking 0-0 draw. A filthy one.

If United can keep it at nil nil going into the second half the pressure will really ramp up on City. If it is still level going into the last 10 City will feel that they have to go all out for the winner, which could leave them susceptible to a counter goal. Sadly, I fear, City will probably score early and be 2 up at half-time.

De Gea
Lindelof      Smalling     Jones
Dalot                                                         Shaw
Fred      McTominay      Pogba
Lingard
Rashford
I'm not sure, do they ever play 3 at the back?
Jesus, it's depressing* listing out those names. How have they let their squad get in such a shape with all the money they've spent?
If Matic makes any appearance on the field I will be furious.

*Only for Wednesday, I'm totally fine with it under normal circumstances.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #12563 on: April 23, 2019, 05:15:23 pm »
Checking a score after full time is fraught with its own dangers too. Twitter? BBC Sport? Here?

Bring back Telextext!
Couldn't think of anything worse right now. Seeing 0-3 to City all in one go would be a lot to handle.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12564 on: April 23, 2019, 05:16:16 pm »
Perhaps what contributes to my pessimism is that the three title races I've seen us involved in have seen:

-Arsenal win 15 of their final 16 games
-United win 8 of their final 9 games
-City win their final 5 games

I also think the scenarios you mention - particularly that United collapse in 2011/12 - are rarer than the side in control closing it out. But ultimately this is all irrelevant history and it's mostly the present which forms my opinion: City are very good and the rest of the league are cowards.

City winning their final 5 games in 13/14 also coincided with us (the leading team at the time) taking 1 point from 2 matches that we’d be expected to win though.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12565 on: April 23, 2019, 05:18:55 pm »

Whatever happens, happens, but I feel there might yet be a twist from an unknown source in this epic title race.

Said it elsewhere but it's so weird that there's been nothing really happen since we drew with everton. There's usually some sort of mental result somewhere along the lines. Something people talk about for ages later. Even last year when city were absolutely miles ahead united pulled off that mad result at the etihad. 
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12566 on: April 23, 2019, 05:21:43 pm »
Mad this. Liverpool obsessing over man Utd formations and wanting Man Utd to win. Never have I seen liverpool fans obsess so much over Man Utd even over their own team  ;D

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #12567 on: April 23, 2019, 05:33:40 pm »
Obssesing over United is flawed simply becouse United are shite. ..so get your head around it..no matter how much they huff and puff City are so far superior,  it is for City to fall below their standard that we need to hope for , not United rising to the occasion, cos even if they do City can still easily beat them. to be honest if Im gonna invest any hope in a favourable result then its more likely to be Burnley or Leicester.

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #12568 on: April 23, 2019, 05:37:42 pm »
Mad this. Liverpool obsessing over man Utd formations and wanting Man Utd to win. Never have I seen liverpool fans obsess so much over Man Utd even over their own team  ;D
Was working in Manchester today and speaking to a United fan, surprisingly he’s a United from Manchester and a good lad. He said he wants to win tomorrow and the majority of match going United fans want them to win.  Wished him good luck before I left, which made me fell quite dirty 🙈
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #12569 on: April 23, 2019, 05:40:02 pm »
Anyone any suggestions on how I get through these 90 minutes tomorrow night? Not sure I can watch it, it will be pure torture. I don't think I can just check the score afterwards either. At least if you know the score throughout there's a gradual disappointment when City win.

Personally for games like this, I just watch them. If City win I’d rather just get accustomed to it during 90 minutes rather than one jarring stab having not watched it and checking the score later. At least watching it for 90 mins leaves you with some hope during the match.
YWNA

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12570 on: April 23, 2019, 05:52:58 pm »
Am I right in thinking United haven't lost a league game at Old Trafford since Spurs in August? That's a run that deserves to be elongated.

Yes, but this won't really be like a home game. There will be no atmosphere and no noise from the home crowd. It will be like an away match and they'll be playing on the counter.
YWNA

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12571 on: April 23, 2019, 06:04:14 pm »
Yes, but this won't really be like a home game. There will be no atmosphere and no noise from the home crowd. It will be like an away match and they'll be playing on the counter.

Nonsense. Its a derby. As soon as a heavy challenge goes in, a ball is given away sloppily or whatever the crowd will be well up for it.

Offline Gutzon Borglum

• Kopite
« Reply #12572 on: April 23, 2019, 06:05:55 pm »
Love how big the build-up for this has been, both sides under massive pressure to perform. If Utd can put in a solid defensive performance like they did against us I can see a 0-0 or 1-1 happening.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #12573 on: April 23, 2019, 06:09:45 pm »
I worked tirelessly with the best mathematician in Wales and we've concluded that if Burnley lose to Man City by two goals then they'd be safe from relegation. The tactic would be to park three buses, concede early without intending to, continue parking spacing then concede second goal in second half without intention, at which point City will be happy to pass around while three buses still parked. This method is a proven winner v City.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 06:11:20 pm by SteveZissou »
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12574 on: April 23, 2019, 06:09:48 pm »
Nonsense. Its a derby. As soon as a heavy challenge goes in, a ball is given away sloppily or whatever the crowd will be well up for it.

You're equating the fans with the players. The players are a completely different story.

Their players will want to put in their best and win and so will Ole but I don't agree that the crowd will be up for it. Anyway, let's see tomorrow.
YWNA

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12575 on: April 23, 2019, 06:16:15 pm »
It’s not been said before but I do wish Jose was still there tomorrow. He would have made it all about him tomorrow, and he showed a blueprint how to play against title challengers by frustrating and time-wasting the life out of the opposition to throw them off.

United and ole are nowhere near as clever.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #12576 on: April 23, 2019, 06:22:50 pm »
Anyone any suggestions on how I get through these 90 minutes tomorrow night? Not sure I can watch it, it will be pure torture. I don't think I can just check the score afterwards either. At least if you know the score throughout there's a gradual disappointment when City win.

I am going sit in a darkened room while that's on nothing we can do
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12577 on: April 23, 2019, 06:26:24 pm »
I suggest you guys watch avengers endgame instead of the manchester derby.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12578 on: April 23, 2019, 06:35:08 pm »

It's not out in time. First showings are around 2330.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12579 on: April 23, 2019, 06:38:50 pm »
It’s not been said before but I do wish Jose was still there tomorrow. He would have made it all about him tomorrow, and he showed a blueprint how to play against title challengers by frustrating and time-wasting the life out of the opposition to throw them off.

United and ole are nowhere near as clever.

Wish Jose was still there because he hadn't quite finished the job of completely destroying them. Not gonna watch tomorrow, they are shite and would be a waste of time. Got more belief in Sean Dyche doing us a favour than those clowns.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #12580 on: April 23, 2019, 06:47:28 pm »
You're equating the fans with the players. The players are a completely different story.

Their players will want to put in their best and win and so will Ole but I don't agree that the crowd will be up for it. Anyway, let's see tomorrow.

The moment the City fans start taking the piss out of Ole or start gloating about their own success is the moment that the United fans forget about their hate for us and concentrate their anger on Man City. It's practically a law of football. Other than winning yourself, there is nothing better than seeing opposing fans suffer right in front of you. When they realise they can take the piss out of damaging their neighbour's chances of winning the league the United home support will relish the pain.

Then they'll obviously come down off their high and realise they've opened the door for the Reds. That's when the self-hatred will start. But it'll be too late by then.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12581 on: April 23, 2019, 06:49:45 pm »
I seriously don't think I can put myself through it

If United are winning with a 15 mins left then I will stick it on

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #12582 on: April 23, 2019, 06:51:44 pm »
Man united should take a leaf from Cardiff’s books and bring in a strategy that I thought worked for parts of the game against liverpool. If Cardiff had better players it might’ve worked
Don’t water the pitch and practice on a similar type pitch in the training sessions and don’t have any ball boys. For me, they literally need to slow down the play to prevent city from getting into any rhythm

Klopp was expecting this from Cardiff but pep wouldn’t from united

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #12583 on: April 23, 2019, 06:51:59 pm »
Wish Jose was still there because he hadn't quite finished the job of completely destroying them. Not gonna watch tomorrow, they are shite and would be a waste of time. Got more belief in Sean Dyche doing us a favour than those clowns.

Been saying the same thing for weeks.  Them and Leicester are better teams than United at the minute.

Only thing United have in their favour is the "wounded animal" effect and a boisterous crowd but even that won't be enough.

I anticipate a smug, smirking Gary Neville after the final whistle tomorrow night when they've 'bravely' lost narrowly 2-1.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #12584 on: April 23, 2019, 06:52:37 pm »
If we were playing Everton with the prospect of them or United being champions I think we'd raise our game.

(yes, I know, it is a bizarre concept, everton challenging for the PL that is)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12585 on: April 23, 2019, 06:52:41 pm »

Please! That is the time you particularly need to avoid. It's gone fine for 75 mins, why do you want to tempt footballing Gods?

I don't even want to see the score before I watch us play Huddersfield.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12586 on: April 23, 2019, 06:56:06 pm »
What a brilliant season we have had. Hopefully city drop points tomorrow, but if they don’t then the hope moves onto the next game until there is none left. Even then we have had a fucking great season, pipped to the post by some cheating bastards. Personally, I think they will drop points somewhere, and the league will be ours. Come on Reds!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12587 on: April 23, 2019, 06:56:20 pm »
Hoping for a Leeds v Arsenal scenario from 1999. After we had drawn with United and Arsenal beaten Spurs on the same night it was in Arsenal’s hands with (I think) only a couple of games to go. They needed a win a team Leeds to keep it in their hands, Leeds presumably would have far rather United had won but the game was very tight and as Arsenal pushed for the winner they needed Leeds won it late on putting it back into United’s hands.

My Kingdom for a Hasselbaink.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12588 on: April 23, 2019, 06:56:33 pm »
Are there any straws left in here?

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #12589 on: April 23, 2019, 06:58:35 pm »

I'm the opposite. If Manu are winning with 15 mins to go I'm switching off because the tension will be too intense.

Offline Los back. Thanks.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12590 on: April 23, 2019, 07:04:30 pm »
If we were playing Everton with the prospect of them or United being champions I think we'd raise our game.

(yes, I know, it is a bizarre concept, everton challenging for the PL that is)

For me, not as bizarre as city challenging. At least Everton are a known club

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12591 on: April 23, 2019, 07:11:06 pm »

Bloody well do not. If they're winning with you not watching, just stick it out  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12592 on: April 23, 2019, 07:11:35 pm »
Are there any straws left in here?

I've a few, but I'm not sharing.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #12593 on: April 23, 2019, 07:12:37 pm »
The moment the City fans start taking the piss out of Ole or start gloating about their own success is the moment that the United fans forget about their hate for us and concentrate their anger on Man City. It's practically a law of football. Other than winning yourself, there is nothing better than seeing opposing fans suffer right in front of you. When they realise they can take the piss out of damaging their neighbour's chances of winning the league the United home support will relish the pain.

Then they'll obviously come down off their high and realise they've opened the door for the Reds. That's when the self-hatred will start. But it'll be too late by then.

From your lips, mate.  I'll believe it if you will. :thumbup
Kill the humourless

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12594 on: April 23, 2019, 07:12:45 pm »
I'm amazed that City haven't dropped points so far.

A month or 2 ago I though 93 points would be enough. There's a genuine possibility that 97 points might not be enough now.

If I had to guess though I don't think both teams end up winning all the remaining league games and give the 97 points versus 98 points scenario. I still wouldn't be surprised if both teams drop points between now and the end of the season.

I didn't know how I did it, but at the start of the season, I just had it in my mind that 98 would be the magic number this season. So, I started putting our fixtures against the exact results that would make us get to 98 & the obvious route to it was 8 draws.

You may ask me why I didn't factor any losses, but the way we were playing for the 1st two months of this season, it didn't look like any team could outplay us & by the strength we've grown this season, we've also grown the skill of winning while not playing to our full ability. So, I genuinely thought we could keep it to 8 draws and get to 98 points. And the games I scratched off as games we could afford to draw in the order of our fixtures were Chelsea Away, Man City Home, Arsenal Away, Man United Home, Man City Away, Man United Away, Everton Away & one Spurs Home or Chelsea Home.

We went above expectations when we got to Man City Away, but that is one game where had we gone undefeated, we'd have been winning the league with comfort by now. Although I can't fault our effort in that game, we were brilliant, I had never see Man City be so scared in the own patch like they were in the last 15 minutes of that game, they genuinely parked the bus. They cleared everything that came at them. I had never seen Man City play like that in years. That rebound from Mane (clearance by Stones) had a margin of mms there. That was brutal to take, but I was still confident that we'd do it, because we won against Man United at Home (a game I scratched off as a draw for obvious reasons - rivalry, so I wanted less pressure on us in this game, Mourinho could be show spoiler, so we could take less risks in that game & Man United is one side against whom we have a bad record at Anfield. This game worked out better for us than I thought it would).

The real spoilers were the Leicester & West Ham games, but I was half expecting a bad patch in those months as we went through a rigorous December and the next couple of months uneven in terms of rest period. It took away our rhythm a bit. We went behind our target at that point of time, but since City also lost games and after their Newcastle loss, I was quite sure that the number has come down to 95 points. We couldn't make up for those draws by wining against one of Man United or Everton in the Away games, so I wasn't sure we'd even make the 94-95 that I though should be enough. At that point, I thought we'd make 93 points & fall 1 or 2 points short of Man City.

But then both teams stepped up their games in remarkable fashion (us winning against both Spurs & Chelsea & City negotiating some of their banana skins), and now the magic number is back to 98 again. 98 is possible - our best case is 97 & not so best case seems 95. So, what we need to do is achieve our best case & then see if Man City don't achieve their best case, thereby the magic number drops to 97.

In any case, we have done remarkably well to come this close to the magic number 98 points I had in mind at the start of this season & that meant there were no margin for error at all. We went past Man United Home, Spurs Home & Chelsea Home targets, but we fell short in 3 games - Leicester Home, West Ham Away & more importantly Man City Away, where we were infinitesimally close to getting the draw that we needed to get.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12595 on: April 23, 2019, 07:14:45 pm »
All it takes is one bad tackle from an over eager press by City early on and the crowd will get going.  They had quite a few of these against Spurs.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12596 on: April 23, 2019, 07:21:36 pm »

Agreed. Relax in the cinema, check your phone after the film and either fist bump in delight or shrug your shoulders

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12597 on: April 23, 2019, 07:23:18 pm »
If United can keep it at nil nil going into the second half the pressure will really ramp up on City. If it is still level going into the last 10 City will feel that they have to go all out for the winner, which could leave them susceptible to a counter goal. Sadly, I fear, City will probably score early and be 2 up at half-time.

De Gea
Lindelof      Smalling     Jones
Dalot                                                         Shaw
Fred      McTominay      Pogba
Lingard
Rashford
I'm not sure, do they ever play 3 at the back?
Jesus, it's depressing* listing out those names. How have they let their squad get in such a shape with all the money they've spent?
If Matic makes any appearance on the field I will be furious.

*Only for Wednesday, I'm totally fine with it under normal circumstances.

I was thinking about this exact lineup, except for Herrera instead of Fred as he could keep the ball a bit better, but is also snide & could rile up a few City players. Herrera & Fernandinho battling is one nasty contest.

But this exact formation & lineup. Lingard behind Rashford is their best attack at the moment, with Lingard exploiting the spaces around when they try to mark Rashford. But I think Ole won't do this. He'll have Martial who'll be shut out of the game. Also,if he Matic plays, then it will be really really hard as the midfield is already lost.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12598 on: April 23, 2019, 07:26:43 pm »

Spot on. Once that whistle goes it all changes. Whether united are good enough is a different matter, but once the whistle goes you just want those c*nts you're sharing a stadium with to suffer. We didn't lose to Chelsea in 2010 because we 'wanted to', we lost because we weren't good enough.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #12599 on: April 23, 2019, 07:32:56 pm »
Very reminiscent of 1990 .... United played Villa at OT in a midweek game around now and did us a huge favour by beating them 2-0!!!

I decided to go and play 5-a-side and avoid the result until after,

At 52, I won't be doing that tomorrow! but I'm hoping for the same scoreline.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:34:48 pm by Red_Rich »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate