Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1786337 times)

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #14840 on: April 12, 2024, 04:13:43 pm »
Think that's right. There's an absolute must win game in less than 48 hours, and it's going to help no one for people to be mardy with each other between now and Sunday and then go in the ground half arsed and distracted from the thing we should be all focused 100% on. Winning the fucking league.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #14841 on: April 12, 2024, 04:36:21 pm »
So in summary, Manchester United are c*nts.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14842 on: April 12, 2024, 04:46:22 pm »
So in summary, Manchester United are c*nts.

Prawn sandwich eating c*nts
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #14843 on: April 12, 2024, 04:53:40 pm »
Prawn sandwich eating c*nts

I welcome your correction, sir.

Hopefully we can stop arguing amongst ourselves and get back to supporting the (not so mighty) Reds.

I think they really need us at the moment.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #14844 on: April 12, 2024, 04:57:05 pm »

I'm not going to start picking on individuals, it was the collective, but there was one point 1st half where he sort of jogged after the bought down the left touchline Kop end and got robbed of the ball. This was happening all over the pitch.

Noticed that...surprised me..but too busy being pissed off with every else to mention
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 05:00:03 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #14845 on: April 12, 2024, 05:04:03 pm »
Thing is for me, fan protests don’t go far enough.
Last night was a token gesture, and yeah I don’t mind saying it wasn’t best timed, and came across as arrogant, as they thought there would be another European game this season.

And the thing is - these very same fans who protested last night, have been there week in week out and will be again lauding and worshiping players and a manager who earn more in a week than most will in a year - there is a reason clubs want to make money from the fans!

The league is fucked, sport at the higest level is fucked, the wages they get paid is obscene.  Nothing changes until fans collectively say ‘no more’.  Far too many fanbases are far too passive in this league.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14846 on: April 12, 2024, 05:09:13 pm »
You've seen it all, what do you reckon makes a difference, the banners being waved for a few minutes, or a rendition of YNWA sung by 57,000 and then 90 mins of noise?

I feel like the lack of banners is being used as an excuse for a shit atmosphere and the players being wank on the night. The team didn't have a load of banners when they won 5-0 in Bergamo.

EVERY club should reduce salaries, the PL wage bill is well over £2 BILLION a season
no argument, but who (what club) is gonna be the first to blink?

I'm not holding my breath.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14847 on: April 12, 2024, 05:10:26 pm »
One of the lads on The Anfield Wrap mentioned that the price rise would be equivalent to each player in the 25 man squad taking a pay cut of 40k a year. Salah earns £18.2m annual base salary, for reference. It’s peanuts to the millionaires that us working class folk pay to watch.
has SOS ever pointed a finger at greedy players?

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14848 on: April 12, 2024, 05:11:46 pm »
Please do tell me how a ticket rise that is going to add circa £1m per year onto a turnover over circa £600m a year is going to allow the club to pay a competitive salary and sign top players when it doesn't even cover 1 month of Salah's wages?
the guy I responded to mentioned players being greedy, that's what I responded to.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14849 on: April 12, 2024, 05:12:33 pm »
When is the right time to protest then?
how about before or after the game?

or like many have said, swerve the concessions?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14850 on: April 12, 2024, 05:40:17 pm »
Thing is for me, fan protests don’t go far enough.
Last night was a token gesture, and yeah I don’t mind saying it wasn’t best timed, and came across as arrogant, as they thought there would be another European game this season.

And the thing is - these very same fans who protested last night, have been there week in week out and will be again lauding and worshiping players and a manager who earn more in a week than most will in a year - there is a reason clubs want to make money from the fans!

The league is fucked, sport at the higest level is fucked, the wages they get paid is obscene.  Nothing changes until fans collectively say ‘no more’.  Far too many fanbases are far too passive in this league.

Not going to say the name, but a mate of a mate is selling his house to a current first team player for £4million......

how about before or after the game?

or like many have said, swerve the concessions?

The banners are taken down and put away before Kick off

Jurgen YNWA

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14851 on: April 12, 2024, 05:44:52 pm »
Not going to say the name, but a mate of a mate is selling his house to a current first team player for £4million......

The banners are taken down and put away before Kick off
not trying to continue the debate - but if the banners had nowt to do with it, why was the atmosphere so shite last night?

yes we played badly but jesus we've played crap against a lot of teams at times this year - gone behind to dross teams way too often - and the crowd lifted the team.  why not last night?

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #14852 on: April 12, 2024, 05:47:46 pm »
Did more fans than usual leave early last night, or was that just the TV trying to create a narrative?

I've been reading the thread about the protest on another forum that has a lot more fans from the US on it and that's drawn comments like 'well why should we not buy good players just to subsidise locals', 'everyone wants them to be the best team and people will pay higher prices if the product is good' 'ask your boss for a raise if you can't afford it'...feel like because tickets are really hard to get for most people, and realistically as an overseas fan your only way to guarantee one in order to sort out the travel side of things is to go for hospitality, some don't understand that it's not just a question of economics and whether someone can afford an extra quid or two or not. Saw a Villa fan on Xformerlyknownastwitter suggest that their club buy up 100 houses by the ground to knock down and turn into a better ground yes I know about what happened around Anfield a while back and maybe internet fandom creates a disconnect between football as entertainment and football as something by, for and because of the community. IDK, I'm never likely to get a season ticket.

I'm in two minds about the wages, though - on the one hand anyone being paid that much a week is obscene, on the other it reflects both a short and very demanding career window and the amount of money that everyone else is making off you as an industry - if you are the reason they are selling so much merch or getting more for TV rights as a league, you should get a better cut of that than the people in suits. The actors in Friends were making stupid money per episode toward the end as a reflection of how much the programme was making on the back of them, and while I think that also means the writers, the tea lady and everyone else should get paid more too, it doesn;t seem massively unreasonable. Greed is measured more by what you do with that money and the respect you have for the people who helped it happen. On the other hand: nothing ethical about being a billionaire innit.

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
« Reply #14853 on: April 12, 2024, 05:59:13 pm »

I mean...one could also argue that the issue here is not that a footballer can afford to buy an expensive house, but that a seller is making £4m thanks to runaway inflation on housing that's priced many normal people out of being able to have secure homes. I'm in a shit mood today though.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14854 on: April 12, 2024, 06:03:49 pm »
not trying to continue the debate - but if the banners had nowt to do with it, why was the atmosphere so shite last night?

yes we played badly but jesus we've played crap against a lot of teams at times this year - gone behind to dross teams way too often - and the crowd lifted the team.  why not last night?

No idea mate, but as some have said, if there were people there for first games as regs had sold on tickets, that won't help. It was a European Quarter Final, really shouldn't need others banners to get the crowd going, as I've said, people can bring their own flags, scarves etc and most importantly bring their voices. A belted out YNWA, with thousands of scarves raised, should be enough to gee the team up as they line up.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14855 on: April 12, 2024, 06:05:27 pm »
I mean...one could also argue that the issue here is not that a footballer can afford to buy an expensive house, but that a seller is making £4m thanks to runaway inflation on housing that's priced many normal people out of being able to have secure homes. I'm in a shit mood today though.

The house is fucking massive, none of us are affording it anyway ;D

I get what you're saying though, I've a relative who paid £250k for a house in 1997 that's now worth £3million, our house has more than doubled in 17 years, its never worth £310k, it wasn't worth £140k
Jurgen YNWA

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
« Reply #14856 on: April 12, 2024, 06:08:58 pm »
TBF £250k in 1997 probably would have bought the entire street my mum lives on. If only she'd had a council flat in Peckham.

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #14857 on: April 12, 2024, 06:13:38 pm »
does anybody know why the protest was done last night and not on sunday ?

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #14858 on: April 12, 2024, 06:26:47 pm »
does anybody know why the protest was done last night and not on sunday ?
Hillsborough will be the focus of attention on Sunday.

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #14859 on: April 12, 2024, 06:37:57 pm »
Hillsborough will be the focus of attention on Sunday.

i agree with that

buy why was there such a rush to do the protest last night
european nights at anfield always a  special atmosphere

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #14860 on: April 12, 2024, 06:42:52 pm »
i agree with that

Because it was the next home match since the announcement.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14861 on: April 12, 2024, 07:34:09 pm »
TBF £250k in 1997 probably would have bought the entire street my mum lives on. If only she'd had a council flat in Peckham.

Worked with a fella in 2002, he once said to me, £250 fucking thousand my house is now, it's fucking Hackney for fucks sake.

The big house as we call it has a 200yd lond drive past the lake, an eighth of which came with the house, 4 double bedroom, 3 are unsuited, bathroom, parking for 5 or 6 cars plus a two car garage, outdoor sauna, a small orchard and a heated swimming pool...
Jurgen YNWA

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
« Reply #14862 on: April 12, 2024, 07:55:55 pm »
Hackney is so expensive to live in now that primary schools are closing because nobody can afford to rent there, never mind buy. Which, going back to the subject within the subject, is why 'well the cost of everything is rising' is annoying me as an argument. Communities being priced out of things seems to be OK if it means someone else is making a bit more profit, and anyone asking how this is fair or sustainable gets told to suck it up, and what's the point of anything if it's going to be like that?

Anyway. The negatives I should be concentrating on are the ones I'm currently scanning, and there's a game on Sunday, so.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14863 on: April 12, 2024, 08:08:51 pm »
The gate receipts make up a small proportion of our general income doesnt it?

Yep which is what makes the small increments season after season so almost incredibly pointless. I wholly support the need to call out the owners on this.

I mean they could literally sign a sponsorship deal with Dunkin’ donuts and make more. TV revenue and commercial activity are our two cash cows, whilst gate receipts are significant a rise of 2% is fuck all in the grand scheme of things, however can be huge for the average match going fan.

I don’t keep up to date with the politics within the club - but didn’t SoS have a channel of communication with the board directly with a representative at some point? Is that line of communication now no longer consultative on key changes that affect fans?

Offline A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14864 on: April 12, 2024, 08:17:42 pm »
I’ll add, a civil war (ok a little extreme) created by FSG in Klopp last season in the run in to potentially win more trophies and send the legend off with a bang - is fucking infuriating, and I’m frankly raging. Everybody in the club should be pulling together over the upcoming weeks.

FSG are brain dead - the sporting aspect of the club drives the business forward. Some financial director bellend who only stares at numbers on a spreadsheet needed reigning in by appreciating the wider context of the suggestion of price rises.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #14865 on: April 12, 2024, 08:20:17 pm »
i agree with that

I assume that's the point, show them what they could be missing, similar to the walkout.

Plus, imagine the uproar if it had been done for a league game considering the delicate position we're in. It was a no win situation. And it couldn't be done on Sunday anyway as the Hillsborough flags will be out.

I think ST renewals are starting soon so it needed to be ASAP after the announcement was made.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14866 on: April 12, 2024, 08:29:38 pm »
Yep which is what makes the small increments season after season so almost incredibly pointless. I wholly support the need to call out the owners on this.

I mean they could literally sign a sponsorship deal with Dunkin’ donuts and make more. TV revenue and commercial activity are our two cash cows, whilst gate receipts are significant a rise of 2% is fuck all in the grand scheme of things, however can be huge for the average match going fan.

I don’t keep up to date with the politics within the club - but didn’t SoS have a channel of communication with the board directly with a representative at some point? Is that line of communication now no longer consultative on key changes that affect fans?

Done without consultation

https://spiritofshankly.com/ticket-increase-announcement/
Joint statement with Spion Kop 1906 and Kop Outs
For a second successive season, Liverpool have chosen to increase ticket prices for supporters. This is despite record commercial revenues and a place as the seventh richest football club in the world. They didn’t have to do this.
There was no meaningful consultation with Spirit of Shankly, or the Supporters Board over this decision, instead following a presentation highlighting the planned rises, we and the majority of the SB strongly opposed the move. But LFC’s decision was made and we were told it would not be changed.
The news of the price rise was released without properly informing us or the Supporters Board, which undermines the entire set-up. We had been told the announcement would be next week.

In the past, John Henry and Tom Werner have spoken of the “unique and sacred” bond between the club and its supporters – the way in which the club has conducted itself over this trashes that idea and damages the relationship and confidence in it.
If fans really do matter and are valued by the club then freezing ticket prices for the coming season would have been a positive way to prove it.
We have continually said, given the club’s significant income from other revenue streams – figures that will increase even further next season – and the financial challenges faced by many fans, they did not need to increase ticket prices. It’s a choice, an active decision.
There will be those who claim a 2% increase is not a lot compared with other clubs, but general ticket prices represent a small percentage of Liverpool’s annual revenue and the rise will make a minimal difference to the club’s bottom line, approximately £1million – small for the club, not so for thousands of loyal supporters, many of whom are already stretched by the cost of watching their team.
The club’s justification for the rise is that prices have been frozen in six of the past seven years, a period that includes the pandemic. But they chose to freeze prices  following the large-scale walkout in 2016  – in opposition to the club’s plan to increase them. They state annual operating costs at Anfield as a reason for putting up prices. Yes, those costs have risen by amost 40% in this time, but the club’s revenue has grown by more than 60% in the same period.
General ticket prices account for a small percentage of the club’s annual revenue and this increase will add considerably less than 1% at a time when that commercial income is rising.
The race to find the richest fans in football is a worrying trend. Last season, 17 of the 20 Premier League clubs announced season-ticket price hikes, six more than the season before. Liverpool will for the first time next season sell season tickets costing £900, and seven clubs sell season-tickets for more than £1,000. There is a clear direction of travel.
There are food banks outside of the ground, price hikes inside, what price the goodwill of supporters? We are concerned that loyal fans, those that help to generate Liverpool’s famous atmosphere – adding to the commercial success – are slowly being priced out of regular attendance at Anfield. We believe this should be a primary concern of the people who run our club, too.
In a recent survey 92% of our members said we should be campaigning for a reduction in ticket prices. We will again consult over our next steps but will continue to push for cheaper and fairer pricing at Anfield and expect more meaningful conversations with the club on the subject in future.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14867 on: April 12, 2024, 08:40:36 pm »
Well that’s outrageous - clearly a facility set up in name only to say ‘hey we listen to our fans’ when in fact they’ll just do what they want anyway.

It’s unacceptable. I fully understand the need to make a statement saying ‘what you’re doing is unacceptable’

I do however, wish there was a creative solution that didn’t drag these disputes into the actual games, in this particular season.

Like I said above though, c*nts the lot of them on the business side compromising a harmonious footballing side in this season at this time of all fucking times - its self sabotage (or just greed, twats)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #14868 on: April 12, 2024, 08:45:05 pm »
Rob - for a sense of what the Kop looked like in 1977, check this out. (The opening minute or so). It's Tommy Smith's testimonial just after we won in Rome. There may not have been quite this many flags on the Kop v St Etienne, but it wasn't that far off. And - yes - it helped generate the extraordinary atmosphere. These were the days when the Kop was Red (Chopper would have hated it!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12mSFeLAcX4
Great video, that. The Spion Kop as I remember it. Fabulous.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #14869 on: April 12, 2024, 08:47:00 pm »

I'm blaming you for not wearing your lucky bobble hat in solidarity.
Oh come on, Andy. We all know it's Chopper's fault for not wearing a scarf.

Bloody Chopper, the scarf dodger.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14870 on: April 12, 2024, 09:01:29 pm »
@rob - do you know what would have been pretty cool and completely achievable - keeping aside the hospitality tickets. Offering a 5% reduction on standard season tickets and match day seats, in HONOUR of Jurgen tenure and sending the message out that club is wanting fans to come back next season super charged to support the new manager. Sure the spreadsheet wouldn’t have looked as sexy, but the common good would have been overwhelming.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14871 on: April 12, 2024, 09:05:16 pm »
Well that’s outrageous - clearly a facility set up in name only to say ‘hey we listen to our fans’ when in fact they’ll just do what they want anyway.

It’s unacceptable. I fully understand the need to make a statement saying ‘what you’re doing is unacceptable’

I do however, wish there was a creative solution that didn’t drag these disputes into the actual games, in this particular season.

Like I said above though, c*nts the lot of them on the business side compromising a harmonious footballing side in this season at this time of all fucking times - its self sabotage (or just greed, twats)

Its not like they didn't know what the reaction would be either, or do they just not learn?

Like you say, they could have signed a deal with a new partner, there's plenty out there they could get or bumped up the deals with exising partners.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14872 on: April 12, 2024, 09:08:38 pm »
Its not like they didn't know what the reaction would be either, or do they just not learn?

Like you say, they could have signed a deal with a new partner, there's plenty out there they could get or bumped up the deals with exising partners.

That is not how they think though. They will probably look to do all of those things AND look to bump up ticket prices.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14873 on: April 12, 2024, 09:08:51 pm »
@rob - do you know what would have been pretty cool and completely achievable - keeping aside the hospitality tickets. Offering a 5% reduction on standard season tickets and match day seats, in HONOUR of Jurgen tenure and sending the message out that club is wanting fans to come back next season super charged to support the new manager. Sure the spreadsheet wouldn’t have looked as sexy, but the common good would have been overwhelming.

Would have been a great idea that, especially as the new manager won't be earning what Jurgen was and they'd budgeted for what £30 million for his salary for the next two seasons.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14874 on: April 12, 2024, 09:12:23 pm »
Would have been a great idea that, especially as the new manager won't be earning what Jurgen was and they'd budgeted for what £30 million for his salary for the next two seasons.

They are probably looking at it the other way though. There is a new stand to pay for. Klopp is going. We are likely to be less successful on the pitch. So there will be less prize money, TV money, less games played so they need to grab as much money as they can now.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14875 on: April 12, 2024, 09:20:00 pm »
They are probably looking at it the other way though. There is a new stand to pay for. Klopp is going. We are likely to be less successful on the pitch. So there will be less prize money, TV money, less games played so they need to grab as much money as they can now.

Which is completely in their control with whom they appoint in the key positions. I don’t think they will believe we’ll fall off a cliff - just a capitalistic mentality of growth year in year out squeezing the bean getting yet more juice out - I can’t be arsed doing the math but what is the return on an additional 2%

Because if it fucks up our current season and puts support for the ownership down - I can guarantee the overall outcome will have not been worth it. Not everything is measured in a pound in column.

Like I said earlier fucking idiots.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14876 on: April 12, 2024, 09:32:02 pm »
Which is completely in their control with whom they appoint in the key positions. I don’t think they will believe we’ll fall off a cliff - just a capitalistic mentality of growth year in year out squeezing the bean getting yet more juice out - I can’t be arsed doing the math but what is the return on an additional 2%

Because if it fucks up our current season and puts support for the ownership down - I can guarantee the overall outcome will have not been worth it. Not everything is measured in a pound in column.

Like I said earlier fucking idiots.

FSG tend to know the cost of things more than the value. It's like the walkout they caused over the ticket prices at the new Main Stand. The fans went nuts over that but the money to be raised was I think 2 million a year, which is basically one 40k a week player for the season. Similar with the 2% rise, we'd have earnt more than that in match income by having a EL semi final in a few weeks.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14877 on: April 12, 2024, 09:35:31 pm »
It makes you wonder what the point of the flags is then?

I think their absence probably did affect the game a bit. The flags and banners have become a key part of the Anfield ritual, a sort of opening ceremony for the big match. That was why taking the flags out of the Kop was such a powerful statement.

And you can't have it both ways. You can't say that the flags are important and their withdrawal is a big statement and that the effect of the flags on the whole occasion is negligible or non-existent. Last night the temperature in the stadium was lowered right from the start. That was surely the intention of those who organised the protest. Otherwise why do it?

Of course we lost the game because we were badly set up to counter Atalanta's man-marking system and the players weren't smart enough to learn from what was happening. But nor could they draw on the power of Anfield when they found themselves struggling. It looked like the subdued mood had been set in the build up and it just wasn't going to change. Put it this way, there'll be no wondrous stories being told now in Bergamo about the Anfield experience. It was Atalanta who made the noise - on and off the pitch.

Typically, you intentionally miss the point. The club market a colourful Kop as a selling point. They are capalists who's primary concern is profiteering. It's utterly disgusting they harvest three shirts every year, and make a distinction between an authentic kit and one that is not.
Not to mention every other piece of merchandise they sell.

The real point of the matter is, they're trying to profit on the marketability of the greatest stand in world football while trying to marginalise those who have made it in the most enviable terrace in world football

I've stood on the Kop scores of times and I'm continually in awe of the flags displays but ultimately, what drives the support is the occassion, the opposition and the performance on the pitch.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14878 on: April 12, 2024, 09:52:50 pm »
I wonder how many people that are so adamant about their impact, bring flags themselves?

Have any of you answered?? Nah, just criticising those who make a bigger effort/impact than any of you ever will!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 03:33:55 am by DangerScouse »

Offline A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14879 on: April 12, 2024, 10:01:54 pm »
Have any of you answered?? Nah, just dickheads criticising those who make a bigger effort/impact than any of you ever will!

With respect mate - have a word with yourself, this is social media type polarising shit. Everybody can have an opinion and still passionately want the very best for the club.

Divisiveness (which is what you are seeding) rather than adult conversation and acceptance of differing opinions is not helping bring people together who clearly all love the club in no less way than yourself.

Find points of agreement than exploiting points of difference.