Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1786581 times)

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #14440 on: February 11, 2024, 10:11:15 pm »
I sit in the lower Kenny and I don’t know what it is, but the ST holders there are seemingly resistant to join in with songs and contribute to the atmosphere, to the point where I think I have started to feel awkward when getting something going or contributing. The larger groups around me feel like they only make noise if it’s to slate the close-by lino etc.

I believe The Kemlyn (as it was) has had this sort of reputation since it was rebuilt in the early 1960s.  Many in there will have had season tickets since this time, and will be into their 70’s and 80’s by now.  They were quiet in their youth so no hope for them now.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:13:38 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14441 on: February 11, 2024, 11:10:00 pm »
The Kremlin, as it was also  known due to the number of wise old men smoking their pipes (that sweet smell) always had the reputation of being a more  restrained yet communal stand. I remember in 94 some Kopites came in when it was getting rebuilt and tried to get everyone to sing: “sit down and watch the game”, which they duly did.

Yesterday, I was in the Upper Anny Road and thought it was a good atmosphere - a healthy mix of out of towners and locals and plenty of attempts to sing, even if it didn’t always take off. Apart from the usual mobile gripe, my main one was the number who came back to their seats 5 minutes after half time with their hot dog - shades of Wembley and that is definitely not acceptable in the Kemlyn😊

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #14442 on: February 12, 2024, 10:17:27 am »
I shouldn’t moan too much because I do appreciate the gilded position of actually having a season ticket. Will be looking to get in the Kop if the opportunity presents itself though. The bloke that sits next to me veers between comic relief and an absolute nuisance. Always leaves at around 80 mins too, regardless of the situation with the game.

It was great to have the new stand full yesterday too, I do wonder at what stage they think enough is enough with development? Can’t imagine they’d try and make the Kop two tiers.

I’d love to go every week but having the same seat for every game is what would put me off having a ST. I’m always happy to move from block to block or stand to stand.

You know who the STHs are around you as they get to their seat saying hello to everyone around them. Couldn’t be dealing with that, makes for a civilised atmosphere

Have really enjoyed the upper Annie this season, may it continue. Just keep me away from the Kenny stand

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #14443 on: February 12, 2024, 10:45:04 am »
Old time ST holders in the 60’s and 70’s are everywhere in the Kop. There are 6 miserable fuckers who set next to me who never, ever sing. I think once you reach a certain age these supporters need to be moved to other parts of the stadium to allow a younger, more passionate fan to take their place. I’m 47 and have my Kop ST since 92. I’m as passionate as ever, but if I ever reach the Victor Meldrew part of my life then fuck me off to the upper Kenny if need be and get the next generation of fan to take my seat.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #14444 on: February 12, 2024, 11:32:57 am »
Seeing as we are on about the Kemlyn . I've only ever been in it three times. Tommy Smith's testimonial in 1977. The first game of the season against West Ham I think in 2001 when Owen scored and we won 1 - 0 . Somebody gave me stick as I had an Ajax top on that I bought in the pre season in Amsterdam a few weeks before . I told them to fuck off. The other one was my favourite one in 1985 when we beat United 2 - 1 in the Milk Cup the Molby goal one. I was right at the back right next to the Mancs and lets just say it was fun !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14445 on: February 12, 2024, 11:40:07 am »
Seeing as we are on about the Kemlyn . I've only ever been in it three times. Tommy Smith's testimonial in 1977. The first game of the season against West Ham I think in 2001 when Owen scored and we won 1 - 0 . Somebody gave me stick as I had an Ajax top on that I bought in the pre season in Amsterdam a few weeks before . I told them to fuck off. The other one was my favourite one in 1985 when we beat United 2 - 1 in the Milk Cup the Molby goal one. I was right at the back right next to the Mancs and lets just say it was fun !

I was at that West Ham one. Think it was a 2-1 win because Di Camino scored a penalty for them and for some reason Pegguy Arpxhad was in goal!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #14446 on: February 12, 2024, 11:44:23 am »
I was at that West Ham one. Think it was a 2-1 win because Di Camino scored a penalty for them and for some reason Pegguy Arpxhad was in goal!

My memory is a bit hazy which may have something to do with 10 days in Amsterdam  ;D. Another memory of that though is Iam sure some bellends started singing ' stand up if you hate Man U ' and got told to fuck off.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #14447 on: February 12, 2024, 12:36:07 pm »

He'd been selected hadn't he?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14448 on: February 12, 2024, 01:15:09 pm »
I don’t have an issue with the Kelly and Main Stand being quite or even a bit moany at times. There should be places people can go and be less involved, some people just don’t want to sing and that’s ok.

The problem is there are people stuck down the sides who do want to get involved and in the road end and Kop who don’t and there’s no easy way of people moving or being able to pick your seat before the game.

We can’t have everyone singing and going crazy on the ground, that just isn’t realistic anywhere. We should though make it easier for people to congregate together if they’re of a similar mindset.

Offline K-Lo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #14449 on: February 12, 2024, 01:15:14 pm »

Its funny, I've been in the Kemlyn twice in my life and that West Ham game was one of them. My strongest memory from the game is Redknapp coming on in the second half and just steaing the show. I remember watching him thinking that's what world class looks like. To be fair Igor played that day and the difference in technical ability was just immense.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14450 on: February 12, 2024, 01:17:25 pm »
He'd been selected hadn't he?

I think he staged a coup to overthrow Westerveld. That must have been the season we then signed Dudek and Kirkland at the end of August so we must have played 4 keeper that season.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14451 on: February 12, 2024, 01:18:38 pm »
Its funny, I've been in the Kemlyn twice in my life and that West Ham game was one of them. My strongest memory from the game is Redknapp coming on in the second half and just steaing the show. I remember watching him thinking that's what world class looks like. To be fair Igor played that day and the difference in technical ability was just immense.

Think Fowler had been bombed out of the squad after a fall out with Phil Thomson too. All going off! I do remember Redknapp coming on now you mention it. Think he pinged one out wide for Owen’s winner.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14452 on: February 12, 2024, 01:39:46 pm »

Pegguy!!!
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #14453 on: February 12, 2024, 02:56:07 pm »

How dare you insult Igors technical ability

« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 02:57:46 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline K-Lo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #14454 on: February 12, 2024, 04:35:10 pm »

😉

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14455 on: February 12, 2024, 05:24:20 pm »

Hammer hasn't aged especially well...

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14456 on: February 12, 2024, 06:19:13 pm »

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14457 on: February 12, 2024, 06:47:02 pm »

Disappointed, would have thought you'd have enjoyed the Hammer bit further up...

Perhaps like William...

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14458 on: February 13, 2024, 12:16:06 am »
I believe The Kemlyn (as it was) has had this sort of reputation since it was rebuilt in the early 1960s.  Many in there will have had season tickets since this time, and will be into their 70’s and 80’s by now.  They were quiet in their youth so no hope for them now.
Tommy Smith would have a go at the moaners by saying "friggin hell, you've usually pissed off by now!" on 75 minutes
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14459 on: February 13, 2024, 12:18:09 am »
Old time ST holders in the 60’s and 70’s are everywhere in the Kop. There are 6 miserable fuckers who set next to me who never, ever sing. I think once you reach a certain age these supporters need to be moved to other parts of the stadium to allow a younger, more passionate fan to take their place. I’m 47 and have my Kop ST since 92. I’m as passionate as ever, but if I ever reach the Victor Meldrew part of my life then fuck me off to the upper Kenny if need be and get the next generation of fan to take my seat.
You gonna pay for them to be moved?

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14460 on: February 13, 2024, 12:24:25 am »
Boxed me mate with my Kop season ticket as a lad in work boxed me with his Kemlyn seat, heard some prick to his mate "hate these part timers coming in here" about me. Got well and truly put straight about my decades of match going.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #14461 on: February 13, 2024, 02:04:46 pm »
Boxed me mate with my Kop season ticket as a lad in work boxed me with his Kemlyn seat, heard some prick to his mate "hate these part timers coming in here" about me. Got well and truly put straight about my decades of match going.

That reminds of a story I read on here . Someone was complaining about someone who kept on standing up in the Main Stand. The fella complaining says something like ' sit down , have you been here before ' . The fella turns around and goes ' nah , it's me first time here '. It was Ian Callaghan  ;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #14462 on: February 13, 2024, 02:26:58 pm »
That reminds of a story I read on here . Someone was complaining about someone who kept on standing up in the Main Stand. The fella complaining says something like ' sit down , have you been here before ' . The fella turns around and goes ' nah , it's me first time here '. It was Ian Callaghan  ;D
🤣
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14463 on: February 13, 2024, 04:17:53 pm »

:lmao

Online Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #14464 on: February 13, 2024, 06:11:58 pm »
;D

Sir Ian Cally. What a man.

Proper gentleman and Scouser.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #14465 on: February 14, 2024, 11:43:52 am »
;D

Sir Ian Cally. What a man.

Proper gentleman and Scouser.

His brother use to drink in the Albert on Lark Lane of an afternoon. He was a proper gentlemen too. He sadly passed away last year though.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #14466 on: February 17, 2024, 08:08:16 pm »
Saw abar only 3 scarves today(one wrapped around a wrist Al la 70’s). Tragic that.

Singing and shouting and making loads of noise, just can’t make up for not wearing a scarf.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #14467 on: February 17, 2024, 11:05:56 pm »
Hope it’s rocking for Luton midweek. Great this is a night game now. Another big crowd under the lights. Scarf or no scarf, who cares, just push them on to another three points. It’s all on now.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #14468 on: February 21, 2024, 10:24:02 pm »
Not bumped yet? Thought that was great in the second half, when the goals went in it felt like it was a European match.

Neil Atkinson said something recently about how noise was more important than songs and I totally get what he's saying. Same again at Wembley.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline CornerTakenQuickly

• ORIGAAAAAAAAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kopite
  • I am a Liverpudlian and I come from the Spion Kop
« Reply #14469 on: February 21, 2024, 10:26:20 pm »
Dreadful tonight until about 50 minutes, then incredible for 10 mins, won the game, then alright for last 30. Luton fans were loud tbf to them. Heard them most of the game.

Those 10 mins were some of the best in terms of atmosphere we've produced all season. Probably the thing I love most about going the match when you feel the power of the crowd suffocating the opposition and causing utter panic. Its what we're best at. It's a classic example of what our atmosphere is like. A 'library" for most of the game (to quote the Luton fans), then when things start to happen we just start screaming (seen someone describe the ground as a zoo and think that's the best way to describe it) and it's almost impossible to deal with. About time opposition fans start understanding this.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:45:07 pm by CornerTakenQuickly »

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #14470 on: February 21, 2024, 10:29:41 pm »
Not bumped yet? Thought that was great in the second half, when the goals went in it felt like it was a European match.

Neil Atkinson said something recently about how noise was more important than songs and I totally get what he's saying. Same again at Wembley.

I said the same. Felt like a European game (not this season though as it’s been poor) for about 20mins of the second half. We sucked the ball into their net, it was great!!!

My chest is sore from the lows of the first half and the madness of the second. Bring on Wembley

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14471 on: February 21, 2024, 10:31:26 pm »
Start of the 2nd half was brilliant, the crowd no doubt gave the players an extra buzz of adrenaline.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14472 on: February 21, 2024, 10:41:34 pm »
Dreadful tonight until about 50 minutes, then incredible for 10 mins, won the game, then alright for last 30. Luton fans were loud tbf to them. Heard them most of the game. Upper Annie singing you're not singing any more to them once we went 2-1 up needs to stop. Also, is it just me that hates how George plays allez allez as the teams are coming out. It's essentially starting a chant from the PA and stops the usual Liverpool chant that we always had when the teams come out that would be loud all around the ground.

Anyway don't want to sound too miserable, because those 10 mins were some of the best in terms of atmosphere we've produced all season. Probably the thing I love most about going the match when you feel the power of the crowd suffocating the opposition and causing utter panic. Its what we're best at.

That's what Anfield is good at, a reactive atmosphere that can make a big difference and step up when required (as opposed to monotone ultra style atmosphere).

There was a moment at 1-0 when we won the ball on the half way line, the crowd were up, Luton were suffocated in their own half and they couldn't get out. Soon after it was 2-1.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #14473 on: February 21, 2024, 10:44:06 pm »

Auxerre is a fine example.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #14474 on: February 21, 2024, 10:57:51 pm »
First half was toxic. Absolutely stink the place out toxic. You could see it translate to the players. Klopp wasn't happy again with the Main stand

Second half up to around 60 it felt like a cup game. Then it was fun til the end

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #14475 on: February 21, 2024, 11:12:54 pm »
That's what Anfield is good at, a reactive atmosphere that can make a big difference and step up when required (as opposed to monotone ultra style atmosphere).

There was a moment at 1-0 when we won the ball on the half way line, the crowd were up, Luton were suffocated in their own half and they couldn't get out. Soon after it was 2-1.

Yeah I'd find that ultras shite well annoying. It doesn't seem that it would inspire much.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14476 on: February 21, 2024, 11:21:10 pm »
Then it was fun til the end
Loads of fun mate :) it was frigging electric in that 2nd half.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #14477 on: February 21, 2024, 11:21:42 pm »
Yeah I'd find that ultras shite well annoying. It doesn't seem that it would inspire much.

Atmosphere is a dialogue, not a monologue. It's a conversation the crowd has with the players. The conversation that Anfield has with the team on nights like these is as vivid, as wild, as raucous as conversation can ever become. A bloke on a drum and his mate on a loudspeaker can never summon up what a crowd on its own free-will can do.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #14478 on: February 21, 2024, 11:23:42 pm »
Atmosphere is a dialogue, not a monologue. It's a conversation the crowd has with the players. The conversation that Anfield has with the team on nights like these is as vivid, as wild, as raucous as conversation can ever become. A bloke on a drum and his mate on a loudspeaker can never summon up what a crowd on its own free-will can do.

Said it better than I ever could.

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14479 on: February 21, 2024, 11:26:57 pm »
That’s what Anfield is all about, we turn up when it is required, and boy was it required. Like a European night cauldron the second half and they wilted understandably, even the best have nevermind little old Luton Town.