Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 337782 times)

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #1200 on: February 7, 2011, 04:31:58 am »
Feel the anger rising up seeing Torres's name on the team sheet. Fuck him.
Quite the catharsis last night. Done with him.

He's only played one game for them.
And it was good.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2011, 04:37:26 am by Raul. »

Offline HarleyKewell7

• Anny Roader
  • Hasn't got a bad passing range, this lad
« Reply #1201 on: February 7, 2011, 05:31:09 am »
It made for some strange viewing today, to say the least. I had watched the end of the 'West Ham - Birmingham' game but had to turn off Sky Sports for all of the pre-match build up surrounding our game. The constant push, push, push behind the notion of Torres scoring against us was just too annoying for me to sit through and listen to. When I did tune in, it was just in time for the kick off and that was good enough for me.

Ultimately I can understand why Torres wanted to move. In recent years our level of competence on the playing field hasn't been good enough, even if the support for our performing players has been unwavering. Meeting up with the Spanish national team and having to listen to tales of Champion's League conquest and La Liga success from your team mates, would be particularly tough when we're rocking up in the forgotten nights of the Europa League. The unbound adoration of your support doesn't shine as brightly as 'real' European nights or medals, in the conversational domain.

For me, it seemed almost as if Torres became embarrassed of his association with Liverpool. As if the club had its day in the sun under Benitez and was beginning to wind down business for the remainder of the modern era. The same day in the sun that had actually pulled the wool over the eyes of Torres, resulting in him secretly wearing the infamous armband and eventually signing for the club in the summer of '07.

Regardless of what anyone says about the situation, I genuinely believe we gave in to Torres' want to play in the World Cup last season. The operation that would see him ready for the World Cup meant the sacrifice of our fragile fight in the league and our last chance of silverware in the Europa League - silverware that could have prolonged Rafael Benitez's stay at the club and temporarily soothed any restlessness that Torres was beginning to feel. The look of devastation on Torres' face when he broke down in the World Cup final was acknowledged as disappointment for the beginning of the new Liverpool season but we are not to know how much of it was disappointment at the nullification of any summer move elsewhere. The famous World Cup photo with Torres wearing a Liverpool scarf around his neck was latched onto by fans as a sign he would stay, but it has become fact that he sought departure in the very next opportunity, unforgivably timed as it was.

In the short careers that footballer's live, players nearing the age of 27 can become as twitchy as Harry Redknapp on transfer deadline day. Rationality, appreciation and comprehensive thought can go to one side and a rash decision can instantly eliminate the special connections that football can form, not measurable by any amount of medals, trophies or wage packets. The transfer request handed in by Torres completely evaded the resurgence of the entire club after Dalglish's appointment, instead engrossed in the hunt for something more shiny and potentially rewarding, financially assured if nothing more. The supposed dilly-dallying over image rights were still of importance despite the consequences of a failed move, which would have landed Torres in quite an awkward situation following his actions. Dilly-dallying that doesn't suggest Chelsea were in any particular way special, other than having the financial clout required to make the deal happen.

I had expected Torres to burst out onto the scene today, as hungry and energy-filled as he was on his Liverpool debut versus Chelsea. My expectations may have been made on the basis of his more impressive 2007 body condition but even the eye was without glint today. I suppose team mates throwing their arms up in frustration at you may lead to that, not to mention the tone of the battle, set by Daniel Agger early on.

It would be delusive of me to sit here and say that Chelsea haven't bought a world class striker. Torres will score goals of all types for Chelsea and the first time one goes in, it'll be as sickening, if not more so, than Michael Owen's first competitive goal for United against Wigan Athletic. For all of that world class ability possessed by Fernando Torres, I wouldn't change a thing at the club right now. The received sum of £50m may have gone some way to funding the arrivals of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez but it has also galvanized the team, who look as much of a collective as I can recall in recent years gone by. That galvanization saw us go to Stamford Bridge (without the use of Suarez or Carroll) to complete the league double over Chelsea, putting us back in the running for a Champions League spot and massively denting Chelsea's ambitions of a Premier League trophy defence.

Should Chelsea go on and win the Champions League this season, Torres may well have sought the justification for his move. However, I wonder how that would compare to being the star striker of a Liverpool team who pick up their first Premiership trophy, even if it were to come in the twilight years of a playing career. As someone who believes they truly understand the club and its people, as Fernando Torres also claimed to do, I know I would happily risk a trophy-less club career if there was even a tiny window of opportunity for that to happen. With Kenny Dalglish as manager and owners who seem to understand the club's immediate and long-term needs, I would say that tiny window has become the basis of a good conservatory. And you've gone and taken yourself off the guest list. You silly, silly boy.
Why did we sell Heskey?

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1202 on: February 7, 2011, 05:43:33 am »
If people recount, most of Torres' goals came when he played at home (well, that was a week ago!) at Anfield. This suggests that he responded well to hearing his chants by the supporters. I wonder what is he going to hear when he plays at the Bridge. Probably nothing except seeing that El Nino banner ripped off by plastic fans (sheesh... and they had to include the Shankly gates! So smart of them, not!!).

So much for death of romance. If players are only playing for money and not for the love of the game or club, then they are nothing but whores who prostitute themselves to the highest bidder.

Goodbye, Whorres

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #1203 on: February 7, 2011, 06:16:02 am »
Did he actually clap our fans today?

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #1204 on: February 7, 2011, 06:17:43 am »
What are the words to the new version of the Torres song?
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1205 on: February 7, 2011, 07:03:26 am »

yea. Apparantely he was feeling a little nostalgic. A very wierd way to end your miserable debut, by only clapping you ex-team's fans. I wonder how crazy that is making chelsea fans. They bought him for 50 and they are going to want immediate results.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #1206 on: February 7, 2011, 07:39:48 am »

No he didn't. Don't understand where this notion has come from. As he ran off he just did one of those ridiculous 'clapping above his head' type things. As far as i could see he didn't look or do it in our fans' direction.

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1207 on: February 7, 2011, 08:17:13 am »
Interesting comment on Torres from David Pleat in the Guardian today, in a piece generally admiring Kenny's team formation against Chelsea:

"Chelsea will have to get Torres into goal-scoring positions more often and ensure he is supplied with plenty of crosses. The player will not go looking for chances; his work rate compared with Kuyt's is embarrassing and his technical skills average."

Maybe we sold him for £50m at the right time after all.

Offline adbee

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1208 on: February 7, 2011, 08:22:24 am »
Do you think footballers have a different opinion on Chelsea than us fans or it just doesnt bother them?

I just keep thinking if I was a footballer there is no way I would want to play for a plastic club like Chelsea.

Offline RBrittain

• This week, I'll mostly be talking absolute bollocks in a Lucas Leiva topic. And next week. And the week after.
  • Main Stander
  • Robbie Fowler
« Reply #1209 on: February 7, 2011, 08:23:09 am »
Ridiculous formation. Three egotists up front - Anelka, Torres, Drogba. Will Torres be able to produce without a Dirk alongside him? I'm not sure, but he's definitely going to struggle if Ancelotti continues to play ridiculous formations.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #1210 on: February 7, 2011, 08:25:43 am »
I don't believe Ancelotti wanted Torres

I think Roman has always wanted Torres merely for ego purposes. Simply to add to his collection.

china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: February 7, 2011, 08:27:00 am »
No he didn't. Don't understand where this notion has come from. As he ran off he just did one of those ridiculous 'clapping above his head' type things. As far as i could see he didn't look or do it in our fans' direction.

I'm pretty sure he was looking at our lot's end.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #1212 on: February 7, 2011, 08:28:54 am »
If he was clapping our fans, he was sadly mistaken

That applause from our guys was ironic mockery, not gratitude

Torres really is dumb....unless he was being ironic too.

china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #1213 on: February 7, 2011, 08:29:22 am »
Dear Fernando, maybe it's not us, maybe it's you?
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #1214 on: February 7, 2011, 08:31:29 am »
His comments in the presser all but sealed it for me. Still kinda strange seeing him in blue, mind, but the therapy is over. He will flop unless Chelsea changes their game.

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1215 on: February 7, 2011, 08:33:10 am »
It would be wonderful if Torres comes to realize he's made a really terrible decision, at exactly the wrong time. He mistook Fenway for Hicks and Gillett. And he's mistaken Chelsea for a great football club. He's supposed to have read up on his Liverpool history, but maybe there's one fact that eluded his attention. Dalglish's record against Chelsea, as reported in today's press, is now played 21, won 15, lost one. Big club my arse.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1216 on: February 7, 2011, 08:42:48 am »
The Chelsea fans and the media will rip him to bits as it all goes wrong for him. I wont get any pleasure from that to be honest.

After one game its happened and I am loving it:

Fernando Torres's Chelsea debut brings back memories of Chris SuttonThe Spanish striker will want to forget his first game for Chelsea after failing to make any impact against his former club Liverpool
Fifty million quid means that you are not entitled to much in the way of allowances, so it is not really being harsh to suggest that yesterday Fernando Torres made the worst debut by an expensive Chelsea centre‑forward since Chris Sutton arrived for a record fee from Blackburn Rovers in 1999. Sutton, too, made his first appearance in the blue shirt at Stamford Bridge, after his £10m transfer from Blackburn Rovers, and early in that match he made such a mess of a straightforward one-on-one with the opposing goalkeeper that his career in England never recovered.

The comparison became irresistible only 90 seconds into yesterday's game, when Maxi Rodriguez, Torres's old team‑mate, inadvertently made Chelsea's new star a present of the ball with a wayward square pass inside the Liverpool half. With the ball at his feet, and Liverpool's back three spread across the field, Torres had only Martin Skrtel, 10 yards away, blocking his path as he started for goal.

And then, unmistakably, he bottled it. He was still five yards from Skrtel and 25 yards from goal when he let fly with his right foot, unleashing a shot that sheared off his boot and flew high and wide of Pepe Reina's goal. Not even close.

All would have been forgiven by the blue hordes had he gone on to redeem himself. But after half an hour, when Didier Drogba ran down the inside‑right channel and measured a fine straight pass for Torres, Jamie Carragher flew across to dispossess him with a superlative sliding interception.

His worst moments came in the 33rd minute, when he put an end to a promising Chelsea counter-attack by sending a pass intended for Ashley Cole several yards behind the full‑back and straight into touch, and two minutes after that, when he handed the referee a small object – possibly a cigarette lighter – that appeared to have hit him after being thrown from among the Liverpool fans in the south-east corner of the Shed end.

They had greeted him with a couple of defiant banners: "He who betrays will always walk alone" and the slightly more obscure "Ya paid 50 mil 4 Margi Clarke". They have long memories in Liverpool. For Letter to Brezhnev, the film in which Clarke starred a quarter of a century ago, read Letter to Abramovich.

"We've got Fernando," the Chelsea fans sang, before the nature of his performance forced them to fall silent and endure the derisive laughter as Torres was removed just after the hour.

Buying an injured player is always a risk, and so is buying a striker who has been out of form for the best part of a year. At Anfield in November Torres scored the two unanswered goals that knocked Chelsea out of their stride, and soon off the top of the table, and perhaps convinced Chelsea's owner to blow the cobwebs off the PLC's chequebook. But yesterday the Spaniard was the same opaque, listless, peripheral presence that we saw in South Africa during the summer, while his Spanish team‑mates were getting on with the job of winning the World Cup, and virtually throughout Roy Hodgson's time at Anfield.

Sutton, so prolific at Ewood Park when Blackburn Rovers were making the most of Jack Walker's beneficence, played 29 league matches for Chelsea and scored just one goal before being moved on at a loss of £4m to Celtic, where he prospered. If Torres is to find his feet in his new environment, Carlo Ancelotti will probably have to make a serious tactical adjustment in order to accommodate his requirements.

The Frank Lampard of a couple of years ago might have been the man to provide the necessary opportunities inside the penalty area, but Lampard, like several of his colleagues, is some way below his peak effectiveness. Sticking the newcomer alongside Drogba, with Nicolas Anelka in support, is Ancelotti's gamble.

As for Liverpool, Paul Konchesky slipped out of the club last week to spend the remainder of the season on loan at Nottingham Forest, forever to be branded as the symbolic figure of Hodgson's unhappy reign. "Not a Liverpool player" were the words that formed themselves on many lips, including these. The ill-fated Hodgson took Konchesky from Fulham to plug a hole foolishly left uncovered by the previous administration, and in the circumstances he was found wanting. But what if the true symbol of Hodgson's era turned out to be Raul Meireles?

It was Meireles who delivered Liverpool's goal yesterday, once again while running tirelessly in support of Dirk Kuyt, himself a phenomenon of selfless industry. In terms of his effect on the match, Kuyt totally eclipsed Torres, while Meireles, after a slow start at the club, suggested that by paying Porto £11.5m, Hodgson presented an ungrateful Liverpool with a genuine bargain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/feb/07/fernando-torres-chelsea-liverpool

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #1217 on: February 7, 2011, 08:49:14 am »
When Torres first signed for us, and for the 2 seasons after, I remember watching him with the ball or sprinting to meet it and it seemed as if he was gliding along the ground. I watched him yesterday and he was running awkwardly. I think we've definitely sold him at a good time.

His injuries will pick up again at Chelsea and I don't believe they'll achieve much this season. It was really weird seeing him in blue and he looked like an empty vessel yesterday. As others have said, I think it dawned on him yesterday what a mistake he's made. There was no Torres song bellowing around the stadium, no word from Chelsea's fans when they went 1-0 down and no service to him all game. Our lads on the pitch did a great job surrounding him like a school of piranhas every time he got the ball and coming away with what they wanted and our lads in the stand did an amazing job reminding him of what he'll never have again.

Apt banner on show too.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Ares.

• Main Stander
« Reply #1218 on: February 7, 2011, 08:51:50 am »
What a superb post there! I could not have said it any better.
A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #1219 on: February 7, 2011, 08:54:15 am »
It made for some strange viewing today, to say the least. I had watched the end of the 'West Ham - Birmingham' game but had to turn off Sky Sports for all of the pre-match build up surrounding our game. The constant push, push, push behind the notion of Torres scoring against us was just too annoying for me to sit through and listen to. When I did tune in, it was just in time for the kick off and that was good enough for me.

Ultimately I can understand why Torres wanted to move. In recent years our level of competence on the playing field hasn't been good enough, even if the support for our performing players has been unwavering. Meeting up with the Spanish national team and having to listen to tales of Champion's League conquest and La Liga success from your team mates, would be particularly tough when we're rocking up in the forgotten nights of the Europa League. The unbound adoration of your support doesn't shine as brightly as 'real' European nights or medals, in the conversational domain.

For me, it seemed almost as if Torres became embarrassed of his association with Liverpool. As if the club had its day in the sun under Benitez and was beginning to wind down business for the remainder of the modern era. The same day in the sun that had actually pulled the wool over the eyes of Torres, resulting in him secretly wearing the infamous armband and eventually signing for the club in the summer of '07.

Regardless of what anyone says about the situation, I genuinely believe we gave in to Torres' want to play in the World Cup last season. The operation that would see him ready for the World Cup meant the sacrifice of our fragile fight in the league and our last chance of silverware in the Europa League - silverware that could have prolonged Rafael Benitez's stay at the club and temporarily soothed any restlessness that Torres was beginning to feel. The look of devastation on Torres' face when he broke down in the World Cup final was acknowledged as disappointment for the beginning of the new Liverpool season but we are not to know how much of it was disappointment at the nullification of any summer move elsewhere. The famous World Cup photo with Torres wearing a Liverpool scarf around his neck was latched onto by fans as a sign he would stay, but it has become fact that he sought departure in the very next opportunity, unforgivably timed as it was.

In the short careers that footballer's live, players nearing the age of 27 can become as twitchy as Harry Redknapp on transfer deadline day. Rationality, appreciation and comprehensive thought can go to one side and a rash decision can instantly eliminate the special connections that football can form, not measurable by any amount of medals, trophies or wage packets. The transfer request handed in by Torres completely evaded the resurgence of the entire club after Dalglish's appointment, instead engrossed in the hunt for something more shiny and potentially rewarding, financially assured if nothing more. The supposed dilly-dallying over image rights were still of importance despite the consequences of a failed move, which would have landed Torres in quite an awkward situation following his actions. Dilly-dallying that doesn't suggest Chelsea were in any particular way special, other than having the financial clout required to make the deal happen.

I had expected Torres to burst out onto the scene today, as hungry and energy-filled as he was on his Liverpool debut versus Chelsea. My expectations may have been made on the basis of his more impressive 2007 body condition but even the eye was without glint today. I suppose team mates throwing their arms up in frustration at you may lead to that, not to mention the tone of the battle, set by Daniel Agger early on.

It would be delusive of me to sit here and say that Chelsea haven't bought a world class striker. Torres will score goals of all types for Chelsea and the first time one goes in, it'll be as sickening, if not more so, than Michael Owen's first competitive goal for United against Wigan Athletic. For all of that world class ability possessed by Fernando Torres, I wouldn't change a thing at the club right now. The received sum of £50m may have gone some way to funding the arrivals of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez but it has also galvanized the team, who look as much of a collective as I can recall in recent years gone by. That galvanization saw us go to Stamford Bridge (without the use of Suarez or Carroll) to complete the league double over Chelsea, putting us back in the running for a Champions League spot and massively denting Chelsea's ambitions of a Premier League trophy defence.

Should Chelsea go on and win the Champions League this season, Torres may well have sought the justification for his move. However, I wonder how that would compare to being the star striker of a Liverpool team who pick up their first Premiership trophy, even if it were to come in the twilight years of a playing career. As someone who believes they truly understand the club and its people, as Fernando Torres also claimed to do, I know I would happily risk a trophy-less club career if there was even a tiny window of opportunity for that to happen. With Kenny Dalglish as manager and owners who seem to understand the club's immediate and long-term needs, I would say that tiny window has become the basis of a good conservatory. And you've gone and taken yourself off the guest list. You silly, silly boy.

I think that's the finest and most considered piece of writing I've read on on this gruesome episode. From the heart yet tempered with intelligent insight. Well in Harley.

From a personal perspective, the victory and the impotence of Fernando's performance have certainly begun a rapid expunging of the rancour I felt towards him. I will always look upon his final year or so as the cheating of this club and us of a year or more of any true effort for our cause. Nothing can ever change that in my eyes. However, I'm glad to say I never felt the slightest urge to gloat at the end of yesterday's truly marvellous effort at the undoubted grievous misjudgement he and his lackies have made. All's I felt was a sense of bemusement as to why anyone would ever want to quit a place like Liverpool for that soulless wasteland that is Chelsea Football Club.

Above all though I felt immense pride in our club, our team, our fans but most of all in the finest Liverpudlian since Shanks strode amongst us. No club anywhere has a finer guardian than we have right now. Kenny, our guardian angel is taking us to places we have scarcely dared dreaming about these past few years. And Fernando has denied himself the chance to share in it. The silly silly boy as you say harley.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #1220 on: February 7, 2011, 08:59:58 am »
Meireles, after a slow start at the club, suggested that by paying Porto £11.5m, Hodgson presented an ungrateful Liverpool with a genuine bargain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/feb/07/fernando-torres-chelsea-liverpool

If anybody ever doubts the institutionalized contempt some of these utter c*nts have for us it can be found in that final snide insult. No wonder Kenny and every true Liverpudlian so despise the bastards.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2011, 09:01:37 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline JamboRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1221 on: February 7, 2011, 09:10:22 am »

For me, it seemed almost as if Torres became embarrassed of his association with Liverpool.

I agree with the entirity of your post.

Except when you say Torres was embarassed, if I'm honest I don't even question his love for the city of Liverpool, it's people or Liverpool FC in itself, I think he is a player that is hungry for success, to play at the best level he can and win medals, which unfortunately Liverpool have not achieved during his time at Anfield.

Andy Carroll is in the same boat.
Clap clap, clap clap clap, clap clap clap clap DALGLISH!

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1222 on: February 7, 2011, 09:10:46 am »
Dont get this he needs to win stuff. The lad won a world cup and euro championship. Gerrard or carra will never win that. Most players will never win that.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline AdoptedScouse

• Anny Roader
  • With the King in charge, the world is ours...
« Reply #1223 on: February 7, 2011, 09:10:50 am »
IMHO, that last paragraph is a load of bollocks.

I doff my cap in agreement
Some people think they're bigger than the club, bigger than anyone at the club. They are wrong.

Some people will always walk alone, some people will never walk alone.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: February 7, 2011, 09:14:30 am »
The irony is that Torres was disillusioned by broken promises. He believed the words of people like Hicks, Gillett and Purslow. Then some guys take over who don't do false promises; if anything they underplayed how willing they were to invest in the team and how soon they wanted success. Torres believes these guys and goes.

He listened to the words; he didn't look at the man saying them.

But then, neither did we.

Offline Alpherah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1225 on: February 7, 2011, 09:15:15 am »
Quote from: Chelsea plastics forum
It's got the feckin Shankly gates on it. I've been getting loads of grief from

<censored> I don't even know.

Quote from: Guy claiming to be the banner's creator
fark me I didn't realise that's what they were. Thought it was celtic squiggle.

Torres should fit in just fine.

Offline AdoptedScouse

• Anny Roader
  • With the King in charge, the world is ours...
« Reply #1226 on: February 7, 2011, 09:19:34 am »
Some people think they're bigger than the club, bigger than anyone at the club. They are wrong.

Some people will always walk alone, some people will never walk alone.

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #1227 on: February 7, 2011, 09:21:17 am »
I don't know what it is but I can't bring myself to hate or even say anything too disparaging towards torres

it just looked so wrong seeing me in a chelsea shirt yeserday, even felt uncomfortable with the piss take songs about him, even pundits on TV radio slagging off his work rate and attitude my natural instinct was to jump to his defense, in a way I want to score a shed load and prove some so-called "experts" wrong but then I think he'll be scoring them for somebody else so maybe not.

I think I like many others put a lot of faith in nando and just feel hurt that we wanted to (has) left

probably the best decision all round in the long term, but for now would rather just concentrate on us and ignore him

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1228 on: February 7, 2011, 09:24:10 am »
Ridiculous formation. Three egotists up front - Anelka, Torres, Drogba. Will Torres be able to produce without a Dirk alongside him? I'm not sure, but he's definitely going to struggle if Ancelotti continues to play ridiculous formations.
I think within a couple of games they will be fantastic. However, we may well see Ancelotti play with Torres - Drogba - Malouda more often.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1229 on: February 7, 2011, 09:26:55 am »
Dont get this he needs to win stuff. The lad won a world cup and euro championship. Gerrard or carra will never win that. Most players will never win that.

As Merson(hate the bloke) said it would of been a bigger challenge helping Liverpool win their 1st PL title as the players won win that will be legends. Torres could of been a legend.

I agree with him. Torres already has medals that many top players will never get.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1230 on: February 7, 2011, 09:34:14 am »
Meireles, after a slow start at the club, suggested that by paying Porto £11.5m, Hodgson presented an ungrateful Liverpool with a genuine bargain.

;D classic

Offline JamboRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1231 on: February 7, 2011, 09:36:31 am »
I don't know what it is but I can't bring myself to hate or even say anything too disparaging towards torres

it just looked so wrong seeing me in a chelsea shirt yeserday, even felt uncomfortable with the piss take songs about him, even pundits on TV radio slagging off his work rate and attitude my natural instinct was to jump to his defense, in a way I want to score a shed load and prove some so-called "experts" wrong but then I think he'll be scoring them for somebody else so maybe not.

I think I like many others put a lot of faith in nando and just feel hurt that we wanted to (has) left

probably the best decision all round in the long term, but for now would rather just concentrate on us and ignore him

I too was a bit disappointed at the abuse that was hurled his way. I'm certain someone threw something at him as well. Ridiculous.

Some people are too quick to forget what this man contributed to our club.

Rise above.
Clap clap, clap clap clap, clap clap clap clap DALGLISH!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #1232 on: February 7, 2011, 09:37:18 am »
Just read the OP, and the thing that stands out for me, if Sid's right, is that the club played an absolute blinder over this Torres saga. Softly spoken and intelligent he may be, but don't make the mistake of under-estimating John Henry, you'll end up out-manoevered and looking like a twat, and JH will get the outcome he wanted.

Time to put the Torres thing to bed now and move on. Got great memories of his time with us and the many great goals he scored for us. But they're distant memories. Now that he's made a complete tit of himself and left Liverpool FC for that shower in West London, I refuse to kick a man when he's down. Don't really care why you left Nando, you left and that's that. The Reds are coming up the hill without you.

Offline Ares.

• Main Stander
« Reply #1233 on: February 7, 2011, 09:40:35 am »
I think back to when the club was bought over by Werner and Henry and I remember John saying 'Those who don't want to be here can leave' or something along those lines. Is there a chance this had been brewing for a while?

Oh well, his loss. Liverpool made him the 'global star' which he is and Liverpool will make many more bigger ones in the future. I feel bad for you Fernando, I really do.
A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire.

Offline FanField

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1234 on: February 7, 2011, 09:40:50 am »
it just looked so wrong seeing me in a chelsea shirt yeserday

oh really..... which one were you then?  :P
Kloppite 09.10.15
Believer

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1235 on: February 7, 2011, 09:43:24 am »
Some of you in this thread are utterly bizarre. This is football, not a fucking soap. Saying 'oh I understand his need' and 'I thought Torres was going to be our rejuvenation', will you have a word with yourselves?

Okay, we were all fucked off and hurt by the move and the manner of it but come on. We were in worse shape in 2004, getting less than a third of what we could've got for our star striker then and what did we do? We bought two unproven players who wanted to play for the club and we went and won the fucking Champions League.
We didn't go out as fans moaning that we lost Owen and saying we were done, we went out there and sang the Rafa La Bamba, we bounced to the Ring of Fire and we changed the Status Quo in Europe back to how it was - rockin' all over the world.

He's gone. We beat them. We will beat them as we continue to invest in our side with players who are players, not names.

We welcomed Torres to Liverpool, he decided he didn't want to stay. He made his bed, he'll lie in it - or John Terry will.

The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline FanField

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1236 on: February 7, 2011, 09:47:44 am »
He made his bed, he'll lie in it - or John Terry will.

;D

Kloppite 09.10.15
Believer

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1237 on: February 7, 2011, 09:52:20 am »
Flo
Sutton
Crespo
Shevchenko

I see a pattern.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1238 on: February 7, 2011, 09:52:59 am »
His skin tone really doesn't suit blue. I feel sorry for the poor chap.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1239 on: February 7, 2011, 10:05:29 am »
His skin tone really doesn't suit blue. I feel sorry for the poor chap.

Finally a sensible, well considered observation on here.