Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 338684 times)

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #1160 on: February 6, 2011, 10:55:27 pm »
Has anybody really thought about how Torres would react if we ended up getting fourth this season at the expense of Chelsea?

I think his move wasn´t for football reasons only. For sure money played a role as well..  He earns enough there to get over it, I guess..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #1161 on: February 6, 2011, 10:57:42 pm »
He will be back in Spain in year - two.
Yep probably with Real Madrid!!
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline smitalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1162 on: February 6, 2011, 10:57:58 pm »
Agree completely, bleedsred.

I always thought our rejuvenation would have Gerrard and Torres at its forefront. There was something so magical and engaging about Nando that I was utterly convinced he'd return us to greatness. Looking at him today, all that joy and exuberance has gone. As others have said, he looked lost and miserable, and I took absolutely no pleasure from it. That doesn't mean I'm not delighted at our result, and our performance. The two positions aren't incompatible, to me anyway.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #1163 on: February 6, 2011, 11:00:13 pm »
He's only played one game for them.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline -RedTilDead-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1164 on: February 6, 2011, 11:00:47 pm »
Yep probably with Real Madrid!!

I think he'd be more likely to transfer to my local pub team than Real Madrid but I'm sure he will be off somewhere else if Chelsea go down the pan as everyone is predicting.
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are." - Homer Simpson

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #1165 on: February 6, 2011, 11:10:18 pm »

I always thought our rejuvenation would have Gerrard and Torres at its forefront. There was something so magical and engaging about Nando that I was utterly convinced he'd return us to greatness. Looking at him today, all that joy and exuberance has gone. As others have said, he looked lost and miserable, and I took absolutely no pleasure from it. That doesn't mean I'm not delighted at our result, and our performance. The two positions aren't incompatible, to me anyway.

Exactly. They are not one and the same emotion for me either.

Torres for me will just go down as a top player who played for us and gave us great memories but one who made a very stupid decision at a critical time in our history.

Our fifth Beatle maybe.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1166 on: February 6, 2011, 11:10:24 pm »
We proved today as a team we dont need him and without carrol and suarez playing.Lock the thread,forget him and let his time here be stricken from the record books.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline reddd10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1167 on: February 6, 2011, 11:13:22 pm »
I think that he will know, maybe now, maybe in a few weeks, maybe in a few years, but he's just thrown away hero status. You don't get that everywhere, and I think when he come off today, its not normal for someone who has just "disrespected" their former club then claps the fans he has just done it to.

His head will be a mess, and for a young man, rushed ambition is no ambition, and will bring no rewards.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1168 on: February 6, 2011, 11:15:20 pm »

this depends more on how Chelsea will end up in Premier league.. also if he manage to play in thier system...he is suited to play alone and definetly needs passes from creative midfield not from Anelka as AM.. but whatever, he is chelsea player..

Offline biratl

• Anny Roader
  • ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
« Reply #1169 on: February 6, 2011, 11:17:37 pm »

True. I would be wary before writing him off. He's in a new team and getting used to a new system. In time, he'll start scoring.
If H&G told me the time, I'd check me watch at least 3 times.. twice to see they was telling the truth, and once to see if they'd stole it.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1170 on: February 6, 2011, 11:18:40 pm »
I think that he will know, maybe now, maybe in a few weeks, maybe in a few years, but he's just thrown away hero status. You don't get that everywhere, and I think when he come off today, its not normal for someone who has just "disrespected" their former club then claps the fans he has just done it to.

His head will be a mess, and for a young man, rushed ambition is no ambition, and will bring no rewards.

after what he did i think he dont care about hero status abroad from spain, he playes abroad becouse he could not play for diferent club at home than Atletico and obviously he wanted trophys... the same way as Alonso he saw himself coming short of trophys as spanish world cup winner and he want´s more... but right now i don´t see chelsea in the position to dominate in next few years, their squad is aging, they need to sell to cover the looses..and he might find himself soon in position he didn´t wanted..

Offline smitalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1171 on: February 6, 2011, 11:26:40 pm »
Exactly. They are not one and the same emotion for me either.

Torres for me will just go down as a top player who played for us and gave us great memories but one who made a very stupid decision at a critical time in our history.

Our fifth Beatle maybe.

A completely stupid decision, I agree. Would it be pushing it too far, though, to say that it was a stupid decision made against the backdrop of one of the most stupid and idiotic periods in our club's history. There are times in the past couple of years when I'd have walked away from our club if I could, but that's the thing about being a fan - we can't walk away, can we? And in the end we get our rewards, but I can understand the frustration that led him to this act of folly.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1172 on: February 6, 2011, 11:27:11 pm »
Found this on a chelsea forum

We were on a worse run before Nando came and he still joined, I don't think he's that fickle. My theory regarding the poor form that stretches a few months back was, I thought there'd be some rebuilding of the squad this summer, but I didn't have to wait that long with the acquisition of Torres and Luiz to confirm my suspicions, I think some players know they are on their way out and have known for a while, I could be way off the mark but that's my take on the situation.

They really have no idea do they? If they dont hit top 4 this season he will be itching to leave.

Offline ataturk2005

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1173 on: February 6, 2011, 11:27:40 pm »
We proved today as a team we dont need him and without carrol and suarez playing.Lock the thread,forget him and let his time here be stricken from the record books.

I don't think we need to delete him from the records, the lad did a half decent job for us at worse, it's just a shame he left in those circumstances......

By all means I think we will be stronger without him, trying to make a team play round one/two player(s) is weak, under KK I don't think we'll be doing this........ I am feeling really positive about our team at the moment, we're playing some really attractive stuff....

Imagine, as someone above posted....

4. Liverpool
5. Chelssea

Long way off but I think as us Liverpool fans always say, NEXT YEAR we will be a team to be reckoned with, especially after investment.....

The one thing that gets me now is, Torres won't be allowed a shit spell, we always stuck by his sulky times, I can't seeing a strong Chelsea do that!

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #1174 on: February 6, 2011, 11:30:49 pm »
I think his move wasn´t for football reasons only. For sure money played a role as well..  He earns enough there to get over it, I guess..

that's bollocks, money has absolutely nothing to do with it

he's gone to try to win the Champs League this season. probably assumed that they would qualify for next season
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #1175 on: February 7, 2011, 12:35:12 am »

I agree with this. I think his mindset and attitude around the club and in the dressing room were killing us, so we're better off now that he's gone. But it broke my heart to see him today, not just because he was wearing the wrong colours but also because it seemed to have suddenly dawned on him what he's just given up.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1176 on: February 7, 2011, 12:38:56 am »
They really have no idea do they? If they dont hit top 4 this season he will be itching to leave.

Yup. If we pip Chelsea to 4th and clubs around Europe start sniffing around I would not be surprised if Torres asked for a move. Why would he stick around? Chelsea would undoubtedly be going through a transitional period then.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1177 on: February 7, 2011, 12:45:11 am »
I know it probably makes me petty, but when Agger elbowed Torres and got away with it, I cracked a massive grin.

Best part was him lying on the floor and instead of his usual whining he realises he couldn't protest. Kind of like in Indiana Jones when Ford gets slapped full on and he turns round and says shame-facedly, 'Yeah...I deserved that'.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #1178 on: February 7, 2011, 01:52:01 am »

Lets draw a line under him now.

Today was poetic justice.

One last thing I'll say about him - in an interview the other day he said there is no such thing as romance in football, when talking and justifying his move to Chelsea.

Well Fernando lad, once again Liverpool FC proved someone wrong. Romance is alive and kicking, in the shape of Kenny Dalglish coming back to our club and reviving us all the way, what could be more romantic than the sight of all those Red shirts swarming all over the pitch inspired by that man? And you had a ringside seat to watch it today, the early moments of what will be the most romantic revival of a football club by an already mythical and legendary manager that could ever be imagined.

Enjoy the rest of your career, Judas.

« Last Edit: February 7, 2011, 01:54:43 am by Stussy »
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #1179 on: February 7, 2011, 02:06:59 am »
And that Stussy should be the final word on the matter.

Offline lfcls7

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • You dont realise how much you had until its gone
« Reply #1180 on: February 7, 2011, 02:09:22 am »
i dont understand why people want to end a thread. if people want to talk about it then by all means talk about it. isnt that the whole aim of RAWK 2bh.
You dont realise how much you love something until its gone. Rafael Benitez (L)

Fernando torres. = TWAT

Offline Vonza

• Kemlynite
  • We are the best, all you gotta do is believe
« Reply #1181 on: February 7, 2011, 02:19:14 am »
We just proved Torres wrong. Hope it surprised him when Meireles scored. Wonder what he felt like. I am still proud about today: Home game for Chelsea and Torres's debut. We won 1-0.

Don't crawl back, Torres. We don't need you anymore. We're number 6 and two away from our rival aka your club, Chelsea.
The best as ever

Offline thedunnyman

• Anny Roader
  • Streamin LFC @ owl-times from the land down-under
« Reply #1182 on: February 7, 2011, 02:28:14 am »
Did anyone feel this as well?

When Agger knocked him down on the ground....although I was rather content that the die-hard attitude from Agger....

Seeing Torres on the ground holding his face actually hit a deep spot within me. I think it's come from all the times being scared of him getting injured. I was telling my now-girlfriend that it is probably the same feeling when you realise you still care for your ex-girlfriend...no matter what she did to you in the first place to lead to the breakup

Offline Boggers

• Kemlynite
  • Starting to believe again
« Reply #1183 on: February 7, 2011, 02:38:06 am »
That article was fantastic. If true, it was pretty clever of them to make Torres the villain.

One thing I don't get is if he loved the club so much, why did trophies come first? If I was a footballer, I would stay at a midtable club that I loved, rather than a club with a chance at trophies.

Offline The Real Rasta

• Leave Ronaldo alone!!!!!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1184 on: February 7, 2011, 02:38:50 am »

Co-sign, obviously I'm happy we won but the look on Nando's face when we scored broke my heart.

Offline Megasuperb

• really would look good without that pattern
  • Legacy Fan
  • Diet Water Please
« Reply #1185 on: February 7, 2011, 02:39:25 am »

When Agger knocked him down on the ground....although I was rather content that the die-hard attitude from Agger....

Seeing Torres on the ground holding his face actually hit a deep spot within me. I think it's come from all the times being scared of him getting injured. I was telling my now-girlfriend that it is probably the same feeling when you realise you still care for your ex-girlfriend...no matter what she did to you in the first place to lead to the breakup

We wouldn't make good friends because I was wishing he broke his fucking nose but thats just me  - and perhaps I'm a bit cynical at times :D
Quote from: Mohammad Shahrul
We are going to bully them today. We are a big club. We are Liverpool
for God sake and we are marching to Wembley. The shit club like
Villa is just a sex slave for The Mighty Reds' lust.

Offline KingsRevolution

• Kopite
« Reply #1186 on: February 7, 2011, 02:46:14 am »

currr, i bet she didn't take that to well fella  ;)

Offline ashy2010

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1187 on: February 7, 2011, 03:03:51 am »
Maybe Torres will be the new shevchenko for Chelsea?

Offline Anwer

• off
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1188 on: February 7, 2011, 03:28:06 am »
Maybe Torres will be the new shevchenko for Chelsea?

Thats exactly what I've been thinking but how old was Shevchenko when he joined Chelsea? 30 was it?
Torres still has a good 2-3 years to offer.
this is not a signature, go away

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #1189 on: February 7, 2011, 03:32:01 am »
Torres,  the fifth Beatle
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline superbakat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1190 on: February 7, 2011, 03:37:20 am »
I guess the Torres issue is hard on most Liverpool fans, including me. But after a while I can understand what he did, IMHO.

He said he want to leave last summer. If he leaves last summer, how much we get for investment 0. Most of it will go for the bank debt repayment and some of it will go into the pocket of H&G. If I was at his place at that moment, once i knew that the manager will be Roy Hodgeson, I will immediately put my transfer request. No team, will be in good hand with Roy. But he stay. Which bring into the January transfer window.

IMO, Torres think it is the best interest of LFC if he sold in January transfer window. We can get maximum price for him due to the financial restriction rules to take place soon, although I did not understand how this financial rules come to play. If he wait till summer, no team will pay 50M for him, IMHO. We can get to invest to players the whole chunk of the money, which never happened under G&H, which is superb.

I do honestly think, he did what he did is the best interest to both himself and the Liverpool Football Club. He give his everything to LFC, it just not to last forever. If he, one day in near future, want to come back, I personally welcomed him like GOD returns to us. Mean while, I cannot wish him the best as he is our rival. Thank you for your goals and memories, Fernando Torres. Adios.

IMHO.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #1191 on: February 7, 2011, 03:39:55 am »
He will be back in Spain in year - two.

This.

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #1192 on: February 7, 2011, 03:43:37 am »

Lets draw a line under him now.

Today was poetic justice.

One last thing I'll say about him - in an interview the other day he said there is no such thing as romance in football, when talking and justifying his move to Chelsea.

Well Fernando lad, once again Liverpool FC proved someone wrong. Romance is alive and kicking, in the shape of Kenny Dalglish coming back to our club and reviving us all the way, what could be more romantic than the sight of all those Red shirts swarming all over the pitch inspired by that man? And you had a ringside seat to watch it today, the early moments of what will be the most romantic revival of a football club by an already mythical and legendary manager that could ever be imagined.

Enjoy the rest of your career, Judas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrryWFt7SII

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"With one swing of his gifted right boot Steven Gerrard says, Champions League, Knockout Stage, Here we come!!"

Just can't get enough...........

Offline m4Rco

• Kopite
  • wat
« Reply #1193 on: February 7, 2011, 03:46:50 am »
I really felt sorry for Nando, I loved him so much. He inspired me day by day and I'm starting to understand his decision. Imagine playing in the nationalteam of Spain without participating in the Champions League. You'd feel like an outsider. Of course he could care less, but he desperately wants to win something, thats what all footballers want to do. Unfortunately, he wasn't patient enough.

But I hope he gets his chance, I hope he can prove himself to Europe once again. He's one hell of a striker, on form the best in the world. I wish him the best but I'm afraid that Chelsea was never and will never be the right decision. The brains he had... went to his head. 
#8 Steven Gerrard
There was no miracle in Istanbul. It was just a man inspiring other men to victory. A man with whom you'll never walk alone.

Offline Rojo O Muerto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1194 on: February 7, 2011, 03:51:00 am »
I guess the Torres issue is hard on most Liverpool fans, including me. But after a while I can understand what he did, IMHO.

He said he want to leave last summer. If he leaves last summer, how much we get for investment 0. Most of it will go for the bank debt repayment and some of it will go into the pocket of H&G. If I was at his place at that moment, once i knew that the manager will be Roy Hodgson, I will immediately put my transfer request. No team, will be in good hand with Roy. But he stay. Which bring into the January transfer window.

IMO, Torres think it is the best interest of LFC if he sold in January transfer window. We can get maximum price for him due to the financial restriction rules to take place soon, although I did not understand how this financial rules come to play. If he wait till summer, no team will pay 50M for him, IMHO. We can get to invest to players the whole chunk of the money, which never happened under G&H, which is superb.

I do honestly think, he did what he did is the best interest to both himself and the Liverpool Football Club. He give his everything to LFC, it just not to last forever. If he, one day in near future, want to come back, I personally welcomed him like GOD returns to us. Mean while, I cannot wish him the best as he is our rival. Thank you for your goals and memories, Fernando Torres. Adios.

IMHO.
IMHO, that last paragraph is a load of bollocks.
If you can't support us when we're shartin', don't support us when we're fartin'

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1195 on: February 7, 2011, 03:52:23 am »
Torres looked to be on the verge of sulking.His body language wasnt very good at all,and had he played like this for us,we would have said that he was not interested.

Offline superbakat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1196 on: February 7, 2011, 03:55:29 am »
IMHO, that last paragraph is a load of bollocks.

Thank you.

Offline Rojo O Muerto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1197 on: February 7, 2011, 03:58:00 am »
Thank you.
Well I mean come on, Transfer Request 3 days before close of window. That was In our best interest was it?

Welcoming him back like when Fowler came back?? You're a joker! Bridges well and truly burned.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2011, 03:59:56 am by Rojo O Muerto »
If you can't support us when we're shartin', don't support us when we're fartin'

Offline superbakat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1198 on: February 7, 2011, 04:03:47 am »
Well I mean come on, Transfer Request 3 days before close of window. That was In our best interest was it?

Welcoming him back like when Fowler came back?? You're a joker! Bridges well and truly burned.

As written, IMHO. It just my opinion and your opinion about my opinion is legit as well. But, he is not our player any more. Raul is beast. Well done Raul. (This is not opinion)

Offline Beerbelly

• Main Stander
« Reply #1199 on: February 7, 2011, 04:16:30 am »
 little un-related but funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoH4bJAT7Dg