Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 338687 times)

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #1280 on: February 7, 2011, 01:40:42 pm »
This shithouse bailing has gave us two up and coming but very good strikers, one who has a massive reputation for scoring  a hatful of goals, and he has galvanised everyone connected with LFC.

Dirk Kuyt played an enormous part in the goal yesterday; Torres wouldn't have bothered chasing that in the last 12 months. We are playing as a unit, as it should be, and it showed yesterday.

I'm glad Agger didn't hit him harder; he was fucking shite yesterday, and he might have been replaced with Malouda if he was hurt
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1281 on: February 7, 2011, 01:41:43 pm »
"Torres didn't get enough service."

That sounds familiar.  Wash, rince, repeat. 

Offline JamboRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1282 on: February 7, 2011, 01:45:09 pm »
"Torres didn't get enough service."

That sounds familiar.  Wash, rince, repeat.

I wish we could put Kuyt's work ethic, in Torres.

What a player we'd have.
Clap clap, clap clap clap, clap clap clap clap DALGLISH!

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1283 on: February 7, 2011, 01:45:41 pm »

I loved him idolised him, he doesnt suit that kit atall, doesnt look like the Nando we all loved anymore his image has changed so has he.

I only realised after seeing him in the Chelsea kit how nasty it actually looks, and its really just our kit in another colour!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1284 on: February 7, 2011, 01:46:52 pm »

What a player we'd have.

Since Torres no longer plays for us I think you would prefer Torres's ability in Kuyt!
Thinking is overrated.

Offline imnotcomingback

• Kopite
« Reply #1285 on: February 7, 2011, 01:47:11 pm »
basically slagged him off for not trying, called him a waste of money and said he's finished. said he'll be back at Atletico within two years.

He mightn't be wrong ya know.
YNWA

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #1286 on: February 7, 2011, 01:50:19 pm »
I only realised after seeing him in the Chelsea kit how nasty it actually looks, and its really just our kit in another colour!

No surprise as its the same manufacturer. However, we would never have a flash of blue in our home kit.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline JamboRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1287 on: February 7, 2011, 01:51:20 pm »
Since Torres no longer plays for us I think you would prefer Torres's ability in Kuyt!

Well aye, but you know what I meant.

Plus Kuyt never gets injured...ever.

Offline lfc_fan2005

• Legacy Fan
  • La Liga enthusiast
« Reply #1288 on: February 7, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »
basically slagged him off for not trying, called him a waste of money and said he's finished. said he'll be back at Atletico within two years.

Could see them offering him for Aguero if it doesn't work out.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #1289 on: February 7, 2011, 02:06:04 pm »
the media are going to bomb him,and fuck his low confidence...what a fool Ancelotti is for putting him to play against the very ex club in the first match

i think Kenny have made brilliant decision for letting Suarez out
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1290 on: February 7, 2011, 02:06:46 pm »
He mightn't be wrong ya know.

He's still a top player there is no doubt there....but.....can't see Chelsea winning the league within the next 3 years or the champions league....so that will make him 30...I have a feeling he'll go back to spain with maybe an FA Cup or something. He's made a big mistake

Offline JamboRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1291 on: February 7, 2011, 02:13:18 pm »
He's still a top player there is no doubt there....but.....can't see Chelsea winning the league within the next 3 years or the champions league....so that will make him 30...I have a feeling he'll go back to spain with maybe an FA Cup or something. He's made a big mistake

Hmmm Chelsea maybe do have it in them to do something domestically, but not in Europe.

Torres will more than likely make a glorious return to Atletico...

...Having said that, how would you feel about him making a glorius return to Anfield? The Torres we saw in 2007 that is?

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1292 on: February 7, 2011, 02:14:45 pm »
...Having said that, how would you feel about him making a glorius return to Anfield? The Torres we saw in 2007 that is?

The Torres of 2007 is dead, I don't think he'll find that form again. Besides, he fucked us over, I don't want him back.
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #1293 on: February 7, 2011, 02:15:49 pm »
The Torres of 2007 is gone forever. He will never get that back.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1294 on: February 7, 2011, 02:17:33 pm »

What a player we'd have.

That doesnt make sense as he no longer plays for us. Kuyt done all of Torres's dirty work, no one at Chelsea will do that for him.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline JamboRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1295 on: February 7, 2011, 02:19:56 pm »
That doesnt make sense as he no longer plays for us. Kuyt done all of Torres's dirty work, no one at Chelsea will do that for him.

Christ i didn't mean right at this very instant; I mean in general.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: February 7, 2011, 02:21:38 pm »

No thanks, he made his bed... you reap what you sow... etc etc etc this is no Robbie Fowler were talking about who was forced out of the club because of his differences with GH and was therefore welcomed back with open arms, Torres walked of his own accord.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1297 on: February 7, 2011, 02:29:14 pm »
Torres under Benitez.....2009/10...........................18 Goals in 22 League games.......0.82 Goals per game
Torres under Hodgson...2010/11............................6  Goals in 19 League games.......0.32 Goals per game
Toress under Kenny......2010/11............................3  Goals in 4   League games.......0.75 Goals per game

It's pretty obvious what the problem was earlier in the season, for me Torres was score plenty of goals at Chelsea given the opportunities and the fans backing hopefully their plastic fans won't give him that opportunity or that backing.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Forest Hills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1298 on: February 7, 2011, 02:30:23 pm »
I don't want to see Torres in a Liverpool shirt ever again, and I am certain I echo the sentiments of near enough all of us on here. End of.
Wouldn't give a shit if he came begging, playing the best football of his life, once bitten twice shy.
After 23 years The Truth is finally out. Now it's time for justice.

★       ★       ★       ★       ★

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1299 on: February 7, 2011, 02:31:25 pm »
Actually I still wonder why he went for Chelsea. Drogba and Anelka very similar players there, aged squad, struggling for 4th this year... why? I am very sure the money was a huge factor in this as well...
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1300 on: February 7, 2011, 02:31:26 pm »
I think there's a lot of wishful thinking in this thread.  Torres still has plenty of ability.  The only question that remains is whether it will work for him at Chelsea as he's no longer the focal point of the attack as he was with us. 

From our point of view, if we keep on winning, we may benefit while Chelsea have to work out how to fit him into their system and it may be of detriment to them in the same way that Tino Asprilla was to Newcastle back in 95/96.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1301 on: February 7, 2011, 02:32:41 pm »
Torres will more than likely make a glorious return to Atletico...

Yeah, I read in an interview Torres said he'd only go back to Madrid if they inserted a superfluous 'h' into their name. He says it's the only way spelling pedants on RAWK can be made happy, seeing as there's a general inability among certain posters to refrain from adding said extra consonant.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1302 on: February 7, 2011, 02:32:52 pm »
Could see them offering him for Aguero if it doesn't work out.

Cant see why they didnt anyway. Wasnt they after him?

Torres is a world class player but its clear he needs the team built round him to fully produce.

Offline Yer nanas hanging baskets

• Main Stander
« Reply #1303 on: February 7, 2011, 02:33:58 pm »
Torres will score goals at chelsea. I guarantee it. Whether it wins them things is another story. A lot of their top players are over 32 and they dont seem to have many young replacements. Chelsea are a team in transition more than us. It's whether abramovich is going to spend the money on replacements in the summer. Coupled with the fact a new manager could come in with regards to ancelloti's performance this season.

Liverpool seem more hungry at the moment and with evidence our new owners willing to splash the cash and be aggressive in the Market. I think we could overtake them next season.

But if you think Torres is finished then you are more foolish than that lot on talkshite.

Offline ThePrufeshanul

• Bastard child of Jose Mourinho and Maggie Thatcher
  • Kopite
  • ..whose game is tighter than Suarez's shirt says..
« Reply #1304 on: February 7, 2011, 02:34:27 pm »

He has played like he did yesterday for the last 18 months, only we made excuses for him and forgive him for it, blaming everything and everyone apart from him.

If thats the case all the people who were saying he has been playing poorly because he was sulking as he was angling for a move to Chelsea all look a little bit stupid now dont they?

And the fact is service is crucial to any striker. Torres has never scored that many goals for any team he has played in apart from Rafa's liverpool (look up the stats) and this is due to the way the team is set up around him (and now the loss of his explosive pace). Under Hodgson and now at Chelsea he will struggle to be a target man, holding up the ball with combative play as Drogba is able to do. The same reason why he had a much worse scoring record for us away from home (where he was more isolated) and why Shevchenko (a similar type of player) also failed at Chelsea. When we look back in a year i bet we find that we got rid of Torres at exactly the right time and that Chelsea made a big mistake in not bypassing him and signing Carroll who would suit their system much better than Torres.

Oh, and whats the obsession with what he looks like in his new kit - dont you lot have girlfriends?  ;)
"Lucas Leiva? That kid had more passes than Paris Hilton on Mastermind!"
"The funniest thing of all though is an agricultural long ball centre half not trusting the ability on the ball of some one who starts for Brazil precisely because of his passing ability." - Al555

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1305 on: February 7, 2011, 02:37:25 pm »

Oh, and whats the obsession with what he looks like in his new kit - dont you lot have girlfriends?  ;)

In 99.99% sure Liverbird 2010 doesnt ;)
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1306 on: February 7, 2011, 02:38:55 pm »
dont you lot have girlfriends?  ;)

Id be a lesbian if I did, but Im not so I dont ;)
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline JamboRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1307 on: February 7, 2011, 02:50:39 pm »
Yeah, I read in an interview Torres said he'd only go back to Madrid if they inserted a superfluous 'h' into their name. He says it's the only way spelling pedants on RAWK can be made happy, seeing as there's a general inability among certain posters to refrain from adding said extra consonant.

Forgive me, I apologise for my incompetence.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1308 on: February 7, 2011, 02:52:48 pm »
LOL

Seriously though, I can't see how Torres and Drogba together would work. Think they might need to drop one soon, and considering Drogba's age I wouldn't be surprised if Torres becomes a replacement for him.

Offline Kopmatic

• Boys Pen
  • That's OUR perch you're sitting on..
« Reply #1309 on: February 7, 2011, 02:59:42 pm »
The Chelsea "system" doesn't suit Torres, nor did the Roy Hodgson system. He works best as a lone striker, as long as there's support from midfield and you allow him to play down the channels and on the shoulder of the last man. Comolli pointed it out when discussing a potential Darren Bent bid. Even in the last WC, it seemed like he played second fiddle to Villa, didn't seem his usual self.

If Chelsea want to get the best out of Torres, they need to treat him like a £50mil signing and build a team to suit him, not try and wedge him into a system and they need to do it soon. I think Torres is mentally weak when things start going against him and the Chelsea supporters are turning on him already.

The timing was unexpected and going to another English club was disappointing (as was the "big club" comment), but he was incredible for us (prior to the Return of the Sith style transformation). It really didn't have to end the way it did.
"When you see the supporters and how the club works it is like a religion to them. We will try to do our best to bring more trophies back for them"

Thanks Rafa. YNWA

Offline cathy-lfc-taff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1310 on: February 7, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »
It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the Chelsea way of life. I do think he'll score his fair share of goals l just because he too good a footballer not to, but I'm not sure how well he'll fit in the team/how well the team will work with him. For years Torres has been our main man, one of the first names on the teamsheet, always are starter, hardly subbed. He was our hero, adored and never criticised, afforded more praise and patience than any other. But it's a different story at Chelsea, he is one of many 'big names', he is a small fish in a big pond and he is no longer first choice. He is not above criticism, he will be subbed, he will not be the big man anymore. I do wonder how he will adjust to this. The pressure on him his huge, he has a lot to prove and little time to prove it in.

A few weeks ago I put his petulant, sulky behaviour down to frustration and being so stifled under Roy, I totally understood why he would be feeling like that and backed him to start shining again under Kenny. Now I can see that perhaps I was wrong and he is just a sulky individual in general, the star of the show who has a paddy if things don't go exactly how he wants. But by no means will things go exactly how he wants at Chelsea, there is a lot of work to be done there. As I say I think he will score his fair share and I don't think he'll 'flop', but whether he will be a roaring success is anothe matter. It will be interesting to note his attitude at Chelsea, I think he'll fit right in with Anelka and co in terms of personality, which perhaps doesn't bode well for their relationship on the pitch.
I wish my balls were as big as Dirk's.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1311 on: February 7, 2011, 03:26:26 pm »
Article from Neil Ruddock: http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/...n-sight-better - Fair play razor

You could say that Fernando Torres played his best game of the season for Liverpool yesterday, as his complete no-show gave the Reds backline as comfortable an afternoon as they could have expected. The Spaniard just didn’t turn up and the lacklustre, passionless display, in truth, is exactly what Liverpool fans have been witnessing at Anfield for months. I don’t know what Chelsea supporters made of their new £50m striker’s tepid display, but I can guarantee that they won’t put up with, or show the same level of patience that the Kop did if his form continues.

Personally I have been left a little disappointed by the attitude of Fernando Torres. I share some of the sentiments that both John Aldridge and Robbie [Fowler] made last week, but it was the ill-timed comments about Liverpool Football Club that showed a level of ignorance and stupidity that certainly grated me. Having played for the football club and knowing the level of respect and support that they show to their players, I felt for them this week as they saw one of their former heroes put them down in statements that he didn’t have to make. Liverpool FC is the most decorated club in English football and didn’t deserve to be slighted in such a fashion.

It was certainly one in the eye for a fan base that has showed an incredible amount of patience and support for their misfiring No.9, despite months of poor performances. You didn’t hear Sol Campbell slate Tottenham or say anything after his controversial move; therefore I failed to understand what the point was in putting down a club that you could argue made him the striker he is. Torres was always a good player at Atletico, but he didn’t get the worldwide recognition in the game until he proved himself at Anfield. The sad thing is that I am sure a large majority of Liverpool fans would have accepted the player’s desire to leave at the end of the season, should they have failed to make the Champions League for the second season running. I look at the Premier League table this morning and wonder if Liverpool would be the ones sitting in the top four rather than his new employers, had he shown some sort of commitment and desire, as opposed to sulking, in the first few months of the season.

So it is onwards and upwards for Liverpool and yesterday’s result now allows them to put behind what has been an eventful two weeks at Anfield. Kenny rightfully claimed that no one is bigger than the club and in Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez he has brought in two players that clearly have a huge desire and enthusiasm to succeed. In hindsight maybe Liverpool had become too reliant on him and that is perhaps why supporters had been prepared to look past the half-hearted displays; hoping that eventually he will snap out of it and show the same sort of hunger that he had in the past. Some sceptics may say he rediscovered it exactly when the transfer window reopened, but I guess that is a debate for another time.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1312 on: February 7, 2011, 03:27:39 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/05/fernando-torres-liverpool-chelsea

I think this article, containing a lot of quotes by Torres himself, says it all! I think it´s a very balanced view for grown ups only.

« Last Edit: February 7, 2011, 03:48:17 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #1313 on: February 7, 2011, 03:45:50 pm »

Brilliant. Welcome to Chelsea, Nando  :wave
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #1314 on: February 7, 2011, 03:50:26 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/05/fernando-torres-liverpool-chelsea

I think this article with a lot of quotes by Torres himself says it all, really and I think it´s a very balanced view for grown ups only.

would agree with you 100%.......if he hadn't actually kissed the badge

'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline JamboRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1315 on: February 7, 2011, 04:35:49 pm »

I think this article, containing a lot of quotes by Torres himself, says it all! I think it´s a very balanced view for grown ups only.

This is a desperate attempt to try and justify his move.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1316 on: February 7, 2011, 04:37:09 pm »
“I’ve always said that my team is Atletico Madrid. I will always keep Liverpool in my heart, i will never say anything bad about them, but my team is Atletico”
Fernando Torres, today at Spain’s reunion

Well F*@# you too

Offline Kevend

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • I'm not Scouse, I'm from Birkenhead!
« Reply #1317 on: February 7, 2011, 05:32:10 pm »
no offence to anyone posting in this thread out of interest, but this isnt exactally helping the 'moving on' aspect, yeyeye he did good for us but its forcing itself to be an elephant in the room

Offline GerrardL

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1318 on: February 7, 2011, 05:34:54 pm »

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #1319 on: February 7, 2011, 05:40:39 pm »
no offence to anyone posting in this thread out of interest, but this isnt exactally helping the 'moving on' aspect, yeyeye he did good for us but its forcing itself to be an elephant in the room

Correct.  Surely its time to move on now that the chelsea game is out the way?
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!