Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12353871 times)

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #62280 on: May 24, 2013, 11:21:34 pm »
The notion of a Liverpool B team is a non-runner for the forseeable future. If you look at how it has worked in Spain, it has benefitted Barcelona and Real but that has only ended up damaging the league overall.

I respectfully disagree on that one. There are many very good players in La Liga who have been developed through Barca's and Real Madrid's B-teams, and they are now playing at other clubs. Players like Roberto Soldado, Alvaro Negredo, Sergio Garcia, Juanfran, Giovani dos Santos, Miguel Torres and Dani Parejo are just some of them.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62281 on: May 24, 2013, 11:29:07 pm »

The notion of a Liverpool B team is a non-runner for the forseeable future. If you look at how it has worked in Spain, it has benefitted Barcelona and Real but that has only ended up damaging the league overall.

The 'B'  team setup in Spain has benefitted Spanish clubs. Those 'B' create lots of good players that then go to other teams if they don't make it to the 'A' team. The main problem in same is the TV deal not the way clubs are developing players.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62282 on: May 25, 2013, 01:44:25 am »
Be nice if we could just let Ibe be Jordan Ibe and go at his own pace.

The black Raheem Sterling.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #62283 on: May 25, 2013, 08:24:13 am »
I respectfully disagree on that one. There are many very good players in La Liga who have been developed through Barca's and Real Madrid's B-teams, and they are now playing at other clubs. Players like Roberto Soldado, Alvaro Negredo, Sergio Garcia, Juanfran, Giovani dos Santos, Miguel Torres and Dani Parejo are just some of them.

The argument wasn't it doesn't produce good players, it's that it doesn't help the league. Reeling off a list of good players who Real and Barca have sold and used the money to further strengthen themselves isn't exactly the best argument for B teams in England.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62284 on: May 25, 2013, 10:50:27 am »
The argument wasn't it doesn't produce good players, it's that it doesn't help the league. Reeling off a list of good players who Real and Barca have sold and used the money to further strengthen themselves isn't exactly the best argument for B teams in England.

These player from Barca's and Real Madrid's B-team are rarely sold for big amounts, and the other Spanish clubs are usually getting them pretty cheap. On the other hand, you have players who have been able to train and play with the best players and coaches in the world, because the best players from the B-teams are very often training and playing with the first team, especially in the Spanish cup, where the B-teams are not allowed to compete.

For example, Villarreal have got Pepe Reina from Barca for €750K. Even in 2002, that was pocket change for a 20-year-old goalkeeper with 41 appearance for Barca's first team.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62285 on: May 25, 2013, 10:59:21 am »
The five or six players who have had a remote impact for another La Liga club pales into insignificance when you consider the players who have become integral for Barca/Real because of their appearances for their B teams.

Again Dani, just rest it now mate.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62286 on: May 25, 2013, 03:24:54 pm »
The five or six players who have had a remote impact for another La Liga club pales into insignificance when you consider the players who have become integral for Barca/Real because of their appearances for their B teams.

So, you think that developing youngsters for the first team is a bad thing?

By the way, I suppose you know that Spain is not the only country where the B-teams are allowed in the league system. The other prominent footballing country is Germany, where the B-teams are allowed to compete as high as the 3rd tier of the league system. Do you know what top-tier German club has the strongest B-team in the 3.Bundesliga? I think that you can guess, and it is not Bayern Munich.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 03:38:00 pm by Dani LFC »

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62287 on: May 25, 2013, 04:14:32 pm »
The problem with the B team approach in Spain is that it has just helped the big two get stronger.

The distribution of the television money is obviously the major factor but allowing B teams have just made the situation worse in terms of the competitiveness of the league.

In terms of developing players for other teams - sure some very good players end up at other teams as a result but the best players don't. Overwhelmingly the best options remain at Barcelona and Real Madrid and the others who just don't make the grade move on.

It probably has helped Spain at a national level (but given their underage record it's definitely not the key factor)

If it was allowed in England the odds are overwhelming that it would just favor the richest teams.

I really cant see it doing anything but making the league less competitive.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62288 on: May 25, 2013, 04:28:13 pm »
In other news Bijev has accepted a call-up to the Bulgarian U21 squad for two European qualifiers with Andorra, which will be on the 1st and 5th of June.

Should Bijev play in either of those matches, he would be provisionally cap-tied to Bulgaria and would need to file a one-time switch in order to play again for a U.S. at any level.

The lad looked lively in his 10 minute cameo with the reserves this season.

Will be interesting to see how this all develops - the lad really needs games, and it would be no bad thing in terms of his development and market value to score some international goals.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62289 on: May 25, 2013, 05:09:10 pm »
Just had an email back from the media contact at Next-Gen, and he's confirmed they are continuing the tournament next season.

Did they give any more details?

Even if it goes ahead I can't see it being anything but seriously weakened due to the UEFA Youth League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_UEFA_Youth_League

Of the 24 teams that took part in the NextGen last season, 11 are already qualified for the group stages of the Champions League and there are another 5 in the pre-qualifying stages.

I really cant see any club taking part in both U19 European competitions and I find it hard to see any side who get into the UEFA Youth League not doing so.

At the moment there are only 5 of the teams took part last season who don't have any European action next season (Villa, Wolfsburg, Sporting Lisbon, Bilbao and ourselves) so pretty sure to be keen on entering.

Spurs and Rosenborg are in the Europa so might be more keen to use young lads in that (no reason they won't enter the NextGen as well but if it's already weakened they might be less keen)

Chances are that not all 5 of those teams in the pre-qualifying will make the group stages, so some of them will probably be interested in entering the NextGen.

Overall I would say that the number of teams and the quality of the NextGen will be reduced next season if it does go ahead
[even in spite of the email saying it is going ahead I definitely wouldn't be 100% confident]

I find it very hard to see a future for the NextGen long-term. Looks like yet another reason why the Champions League is where it's at.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62290 on: May 25, 2013, 05:51:54 pm »
Yeah, it's hard to see it continuing for much longer despite what they said. even if it does, it'll be a shadow of what it has been the past 2 years.
It's a shame, if not for the UEFA jumping in on the action it would've no doubt been again stronger next year with even more top youth teams taking part.
With 1 fell swoop, UEFA has completely destroyed any chance of it becoming a top competition.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62291 on: May 25, 2013, 06:36:20 pm »

No mate, think you're wrong on this one. It's not just benefiting Barca and Real, they're the biggest clubs, of course they are going to have some of the best youth players. They aren't the only ones with B teams so they aren't the only ones who benefit.

I'm not saying it's proof it would work over here (don't think it would), but it works over there. I don't think I've ever heard anyone link the b team system with the reason why Madrid and Barca dominate. The TV money is the real killer - but they are the two biggest clubs in the world anyway.

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62292 on: May 25, 2013, 07:26:50 pm »
The problem with the B team approach in Spain is that it has just helped the big two get stronger.

The distribution of the television money is obviously the major factor but allowing B teams have just made the situation worse in terms of the competitiveness of the league.

In terms of developing players for other teams - sure some very good players end up at other teams as a result but the best players don't. Overwhelmingly the best options remain at Barcelona and Real Madrid and the others who just don't make the grade move on.

It probably has helped Spain at a national level (but given their underage record it's definitely not the key factor)

If it was allowed in England the odds are overwhelming that it would just favor the richest teams.

I really cant see it doing anything but making the league less competitive.

Lets take a look at Germany, for a change. They also allow for the B-teams to compete in the league system, as high as the 3rd tier of competition (3.Bundesliga), and if you take a look at the clubs in that league, you will notice that of all top-tier clubs, only Borussia Dortmund and Stuttgart have their B-teams competing at that level, and all the other top-tier clubs have their B-teams competing in the 4th tier of competition (5 regional leagues). Now, in the last decade, only 4 clubs have won the Bundesliga title apart from Bayern Munich: Werder, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg and Borussia Dortmund (2). Coincidence?

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62293 on: May 25, 2013, 07:28:51 pm »
I feel like this is not the correct forum for this debate, especially seeing as its gone on for a number of pages.

Offline greeny01

• Anny Roader
  • Number One is Carragher....
« Reply #62294 on: May 26, 2013, 10:00:20 am »
Looking forward to seeing Rossiter playing next season, just read Carraghers interview on the official and he said he rates him (says he a bit like him and Stevie in a sense). Now I know that's unfair pressure on the lad but that is the second Carragher interview where he mentions this lad.  Hope it goes well for the lad and looking forward to watching him play more for the 18's and maybe 21's

Offline superjack

• Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Delilah (deh-du-diddle-diddle-diddydooo)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #62295 on: May 26, 2013, 10:29:29 am »
Looking forward to seeing Rossiter playing next season, just read Carraghers interview on the official and he said he rates him (says he a bit like him and Stevie in a sense). Now I know that's unfair pressure on the lad but that is the second Carragher interview where he mentions this lad.  Hope it goes well for the lad and looking forward to watching him play more for the 18's and maybe 21's

He's very young. For me the difference with rossiter and lots of other prospects is that he is first and foremost very good technically. But I feel he has the character that is required to be a pro. He is mentally strong. He hasn't being overawed by the step up to the u18's. I have rated rossiter for along time you could always see that he was a leader. You need character to make it not just technical ability. For me that's why many have marked his card.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62296 on: May 26, 2013, 11:09:11 am »
Did they give any more details?

Even if it goes ahead I can't see it being anything but seriously weakened due to the UEFA Youth League.

Nah they didn't, just that it was definitely happening.

The 32 CL clubs have their tournament, no reason there aren't a huge amount of sides not in there that want U21 European football.

We'll see. They've said it's happening, which seems like good news for a starter.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62297 on: May 26, 2013, 11:17:33 am »
So, you think that developing youngsters for the first team is a bad thing?

By the way, I suppose you know that Spain is not the only country where the B-teams are allowed in the league system. The other prominent footballing country is Germany, where the B-teams are allowed to compete as high as the 3rd tier of the league system. Do you know what top-tier German club has the strongest B-team in the 3.Bundesliga? I think that you can guess, and it is not Bayern Munich.

;D

No I'm all for it, and would love an LFC B team in the lower leagues. But your argument was that its helped the league, and it hasn't. It's helped Barca and Real. The clubs that can afford to run a B team are few and far between, so they benefit from their youngsters getting game time and good prices for those they sell. Just because there's a few that excel elsewhere doesn't change that.

If we had it in this country we'd have 6/7 clubs who would make a B team, and those clubs would become more dominant. It might help the the national team but it wouldn't help the league. It'd help us so I'd be all for it.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62298 on: May 26, 2013, 11:28:45 am »
Nah they didn't, just that it was definitely happening.

The 32 CL clubs have their tournament, no reason there aren't a huge amount of sides not in there that want U21 European football.

We'll see. They've said it's happening, which seems like good news for a starter.

Cheers.

I agree that it's good news that they confirmed it at this stage, I'm just afraid that the best case scenario is that it will end up being at a Youth Europa League to the Champions League and that there is a serious chance it might come to an end.

I'm sure that there will be other sides interested in playing but I just think that the quality of the opposition will surely suffer.

Hopefully it will run at least another year - the level of competition it offers compares to the Youth Cup is light years ahead. By the time the 2014/15 season rolls around we will be back in the Champions League and won't need it.

Offline turambar

• Main Stander
  • Stupidity is cool.Really cool.
« Reply #62299 on: May 26, 2013, 11:37:25 am »
La Masia ‏@Youngcules
Liverpool's new signing Sergi Canos gives the lead to Catalonia U17 team against Valencia U17. Scored two the other day as well.

Been away from the internet for a while.Have we signed him already?

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62300 on: May 26, 2013, 11:51:48 am »
;D

No I'm all for it, and would love an LFC B team in the lower leagues. But your argument was that its helped the league, and it hasn't. It's helped Barca and Real. The clubs that can afford to run a B team are few and far between, so they benefit from their youngsters getting game time and good prices for those they sell. Just because there's a few that excel elsewhere doesn't change that.

If we had it in this country we'd have 6/7 clubs who would make a B team, and those clubs would become more dominant. It might help the the national team but it wouldn't help the league. It'd help us so I'd be all for it.

Mate, without any desire to further derail this thread, I must remind you that EVERY La Liga and Bundesliga club has a B-team competing in the lower tiers of the league system.

In Spain, most of the B-teams are playing in the 3rd tier of the league system (4 regional leagues), apart from Barca's and Real Madrid's B-teams, who are competing in the second tier (Segunda Division). In Germany, most of the B-teams are playing in the 4th tier of the league system (5 regional leagues), apart from Borussia Dortmund's and Stuttgart's B-teams, who are competing in the 3rd tier (3. Bundesliga).

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62301 on: May 26, 2013, 12:15:42 pm »
;D

Yup I agree with this but I have zero faith that in England it simply wouldn't end up benefiting a small number of big clubs but damaging the league overall. Before long you would have these 6/7 clubs in the Championship and they would end up simply destroying it.

It's not an option in the short term and I really don't see it being an option long-term.

I don't have a huge about of belief in the U21 league but there are definitely steps the Premier League could do to improve it. Off the top of my head I 'd say
1) increase the number of games - 26 games  is too low a number over the course of a season  ???
2) increase the prize money - I don't know what the current prize money is but I'd be surprised if it wasnt close to a fiver. If there was more money involved for doing well it would increase club's interest in it.
3) increase the number of games played in top stadiums - I think there is an obligation to have either 2 or 3 games in a club's main stadium; having some of the top youngsters in the country playing on poor pitches is a joke ; could easily increase this to 5 or 6
4) more PR/advertising - at the moment it gets very little publicity. If they forced Sky or whoever to show a game a week it would surely generate a lot more interest. [In a sense I'm surprised that Sky aren't all over this, you'd think they would be able to pick up the rights for a song and it would give them a lot of extra hours of content for relatively little cost - have them promote it as a chance to see the stars of tomorrow. some of the clubs seem to be keen to keep the rights in house for their own television but I would imagine if they gave Sky a 4 or 5 year deal , in 4 or 5 years the interest levels and the value would end up being substantially increased.

Anyone else have any ideas on how the reserve league could be improved?

However the major gap that's in our own hands at the moment is loan deals especially next season. I'd really hope that there is someone in the club who has responsibility for approaching clubs with players we are looking to place on loan. Someone who is identified clubs with good coaches/managers who play a suitable style of football who have a track record of giving promising youth a chance. Think of it as reverse scouting. Put together a list of the players we have highlighting their strengths and to a lesser extent the areas we would be hopeful that they would improve.

For any club we approach with an offer for one of their players, we should automatically consider if we can position a player on loan with them as a replacement. For instance if we approach a club with an offer for a left-back, we should also make sure that we mention that we might possibly be interested in sending Robinson on loan to them. Explain we have a lot of belief in the lad but feel he isn't just ready for the very top-level yet. Any club that we buy a left-back from will surely be a good fit in terms of style of play and they will automatically be down a left-back. There are obviously other considerations - would the player be interested/maybe they have 2 or 3 other options at left-back. It wouldn't be as complicated as a player swap deal but it could potentially save us some amount of money or simply put us in poll position to get a deal done. Maybe the club aren't interested in taking a left-back on loan but might be a good fit for another young player.

The other thing with any loan is that we are actively monitoring the player. Previously it seemed once a player went on loan he was pretty much forgotten. However from a few comments by McParland, I think the club has improved in this regard of late. If we have a player on loan in another league it should be part of the responsibilities of the scouts to monitor how the player is getting on.

One thing that I think limits us somewhat in the loan market is the willingness of British players to go abroad. Pretty sure in the last while N'goo and Wilson  :lickin  to Scotland are the only "international" loan by a British player at the club [It's not just a Liverpool problem but when you compare the willingness of non British players to move abroad to further their career compared to international players its depressing]. Of course going abroad for a youngster of 18/19 is no piece of cake, but I'd love to see some of our youngsters in the Dutch league. It would really mature them as individuals, it would expose them to a different type of game and it would increase their marketability long-term. Of course there would be additional risks but I think in some cases the risk-reward relationship might work. It would obviously help if we had a close relationship with the club in question . The risk could be mitigated somewhat by maybe sending two or three lads to the one club. I think it would be move useful for those towards those in the older end of the youth spectrum.

It seems a lot of our purchasing activity this summer is likely to be with clubs outside Britain (which makes a huge amount of sense in terms of value for money) so I doubt we'll be able to do much of the whole placing loan players at club we have bought players from.

Overall I'd be somewhat fearful that the club has no-one actively looking for intelligent loans but are simply waiting for other managers/clubs to approach us.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #62302 on: May 26, 2013, 12:47:06 pm »
AFC Liverpool are in the 9th tier. I don't know if the rules allow this but maybe we can somehow help them out financially until they enter the football league, not overtaking and managing because they won't have it, then loan as many as we can to them or sell at a low price with a low buy-back clause.

I did this on FM for the craic, put a load of our u21s to AFC Liverpool and gonna try get them up to the football league from level 9

Online Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62303 on: May 26, 2013, 12:51:44 pm »
4) more PR/advertising - at the moment it gets very little publicity. If they forced Sky or whoever to show a game a week it would surely generate a lot more interest. [In a sense I'm surprised that Sky aren't all over this, you'd think they would be able to pick up the rights for a song and it would give them a lot of extra hours of content for relatively little cost - have them promote it as a chance to see the stars of tomorrow. some of the clubs seem to be keen to keep the rights in house for their own television but I would imagine if they gave Sky a 4 or 5 year deal , in 4 or 5 years the interest levels and the value would end up being substantially increased.

On this point, I'm sure all clubs could come to an agreement with Sky of 'you can choose a game a week. if you don't choose us, we can show it on our station instead.' It's not like all the games are at the same time to be impacted like the Premier League would be.

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62304 on: May 26, 2013, 01:32:45 pm »
Yup I agree with this but I have zero faith that in England it simply wouldn't end up benefiting a small number of big clubs but damaging the league overall. Before long you would have these 6/7 clubs in the Championship and they would end up simply destroying it.

In that case, you do what the Germans did.

royhendo

« Reply #62305 on: May 26, 2013, 02:56:23 pm »
It's one of the best threads on the forum, this. If you spam it, we'll give you a break off the site.

Offline Hidegkuti

• Main Stander
« Reply #62306 on: May 27, 2013, 12:47:18 am »
This is my first post on this thread so before posting anything else I'd just like to thank all the regular posters for keeping the rest of us up to speed as to the happenings at Kirby. I've really enjoyed reading some of the insightful analysis of the young kids - and I must confess that I really like the optimism that usually underpins the analysis.

I have to say though, I also enjoy the dose of realism and pragmatism that is supplied by Superjack. To be honest, I think like the rest of us, he just wants the best for our club, and his desire not to settle for second best is admirable - thanks guys...

I have to say I personally have always loved watching younger age groups and so finding so many on here who were so well versed on the subject is a real treat.   I always feel that the inequality of finances is much less important at a younger age group. It’s also great to spot one of the future stars and then follow their career. I remember seeing Pirlo when he was 18 playing as the traquertista and I like to claim that i discovered him   :P

(I must confess I have spent a large number of hours watching random youth tournaments on Eurosports attempting to spot the next great superstar – and have got it wrong on numerous occasions – example predicting that D'Alessandro was going to be the next Riquelme  :butt

I think over the course of the last few years, in the process of getting our academy in order, we’ve all identified that one of the largest issues with the U21/reserve team set up in the large gap between the U21 and the senior team. So we’ve often postulated the idea of having a Liverpool B team as proposed by Rafa et al. Now we are all in agreement that the current structural issues within the English footballing system do not allow us to begin a Liverpool B team either as a team from the bottom tier of the hierarchy or by buying a club in the lower leagues and using them as a feeder club.

So I've been thinking about this issue for a while and I think there is a solution that can be instantiated without excessive associated costs. There are currently huge financial issues with football in Spain and Holland. The financial issues with the Eredivisie have been highlighted extensively over the last few years, with some of their most historic teams, such as Feyenoord, almost going into administration.  The issue with the lower primera division teams are also well documentated with many teams unable to pay the wages of their players. 

Does it then not make sense for FSG to strategically purchase a 51% stake in either an Erste Divisie (2nd divisions) team in Holland or a team from Segunda Division in Spain. The football style of both these countries suits the first team perfectly.  BR is attempting to implement a 4-3-3 passing style combining the technical/ tactical set up of the legendary Ajax and Barca teams. Thus access to regions where this is deemed the default set up would make it much easier to implement, especially in lieu of the fact that they would have competitive games rather than current U21 games. 

In addition, the access to coaches from these areas could be extremely beneficial in the long run, which is exemplified by our current set up being initiated by Spaniards. It will also allow Liverpool to have an extensive set up in a different country and thus able to scout young players in that country locally.  Furthermore, transferring players who have outgrown the U21 but not yet ready for the first team, can simply be sent over either on loan or sold with a stipulated buy back. (Works on a similar principle to the set up currently at Watford)

(I haven’t done any extensive due diligence on numbers but it is documented that Andreas Iniesta managed to get the major shareholding in Albacete for 420k Euros – A number of the Erste Divisie teams in Holland are actually amateur teams and thus I imagine they would be even cheaper to purchase)

Now I’m sure this is rather an obvious solution that has occurred to people far more intelligent than I, so I was wondering what the hindrance is for such a set up that I am missing...?

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62307 on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:26 am »
He's very young. For me the difference with rossiter and lots of other prospects is that he is first and foremost very good technically. But I feel he has the character that is required to be a pro. He is mentally strong. He hasn't being overawed by the step up to the u18's. I have rated rossiter for along time you could always see that he was a leader. You need character to make it not just technical ability. For me that's why many have marked his card.

Thats why he stands out, great ability but with an unmatched attitude, a lot of players with his ability are work shy, but he seems to be a real work horse and a very vocal leader to.

Still has a lot to work on mind, still looks a little awkward in his movement to me, and can get outmuscled quite easily.

Offline SteLFC91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62308 on: May 27, 2013, 09:54:55 am »
Neil Jones from the Echo saying that Danny Wilson has joined Hearts on a permanent deal. Probably a good move for him, he never had a chance here really.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62309 on: May 27, 2013, 11:28:00 am »
Neil Jones from the Echo saying that Danny Wilson has joined Hearts on a permanent deal. Probably a good move for him, he never had a chance here really.

I don't think any young players (with perhaps the exception of Pacheco) could say they weren't given opportunity this season. It's not easy, competition will always be fierce but Wisdom made 20 appearances this year as a fullback, mostly with Johnson out of position at LB.

The opportunity was there for someone to step up, and ideally it it would have been a LB. However it was Wisdom at RB that had a good preseason, performed in reserves and training and ultimately took his chance when it came. The opportunity was equally their for Wilson and Robinson both who had more exposure at first team level.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline SabrinaLFC

• Queen of the pictures thread
  • Kopite
« Reply #62310 on: May 28, 2013, 11:14:34 am »
Coady and Flanagan named in 21 man squad for U20 world cup this summer http://www.thefa.com/england/mens-u20s/News/2013/u20s-world-cup-squad-announcement-280513.aspx

Robinson was also in the provisional squad, but he's now been promoted to the U21's

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #62311 on: May 28, 2013, 11:28:26 am »

Does it then not make sense for FSG to strategically purchase a 51% stake in either an Erste Divisie (2nd divisions) team in Holland or a team from Segunda Division in Spain. The football style of both these countries suits the first team perfectly.  BR is attempting to implement a 4-3-3 passing style combining the technical/ tactical set up of the legendary Ajax and Barca teams. Thus access to regions where this is deemed the default set up would make it much easier to implement, especially in lieu of the fact that they would have competitive games rather than current U21 games. 

In addition, the access to coaches from these areas could be extremely beneficial in the long run, which is exemplified by our current set up being initiated by Spaniards. It will also allow Liverpool to have an extensive set up in a different country and thus able to scout young players in that country locally.  Furthermore, transferring players who have outgrown the U21 but not yet ready for the first team, can simply be sent over either on loan or sold with a stipulated buy back. (Works on a similar principle to the set up currently at Watford)

Even if this is possible, I don't think it's an attractive option. Brendan Rodgers has been clear that ultimately he wants to see Kirkby and Melwood merged onto one site, with the academy players based on the same complex as the first team. Moving a section of the club overseas goes completely against the grain of that.

Also, we'd lose out on the "home-grown" rules. If our players were registered in the Netherlands, they wouldn't be moving towards home-grown status.

A feeder club in Wales might solve some of those issues, but the standard there probably isn't high enough.

I'd personally prefer to see a regionalised League One and Two, split into three divisions of twenty two. That would leave space for a lot of reserve sides without costing anyone their own place in the league.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #62312 on: May 28, 2013, 02:17:28 pm »
Coady and Flanagan named in 21 man squad for U20 world cup this summer http://www.thefa.com/england/mens-u20s/News/2013/u20s-world-cup-squad-announcement-280513.aspx

Robinson was also in the provisional squad, but he's now been promoted to the U21's

If there's any chance of Coady being involved in the first team on a semi-regular basis next season they need to pull him out that. England don't take it seriously, a pre-season would be way more beneficial than him losing 3 games.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62313 on: May 28, 2013, 02:24:18 pm »
If there's any chance of Coady being involved in the first team on a semi-regular basis next season they need to pull him out that. England don't take it seriously, a pre-season would be way more beneficial than him losing 3 games.

In my opinion, the odds are massively more likely that he will be going on loan this season as opposed to being involved in the first team on a semi-regular basis (my opinion is that he's 90% likely to on loan this season) ,so I wouldn't be all that hugely concerned.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:35:37 pm by johnhouldinglfc »

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #62314 on: May 28, 2013, 06:47:36 pm »
Does anyone know when Samed Yesil will be set to return to training? I have high hopes for this kid based, hope he will come back fit and ready to force his way into the first team in couple of years.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #62315 on: May 28, 2013, 07:17:38 pm »

We have Gerrard,  Lucas,  Allen and Henderson,  Shelvey??  for 3 CM position.  Lucas and Gerrard are almost guaranteed to start when fit.  We don't have Europa league.  Chances of Coady getting any game time bar a few mins in the League Cup against lower ranked opposition are pretty much zero IMO.  Get him out on loan for a season,  get him some proper game time and see where he is at by the end of the season when he'll be 21.  If he doesn't get a run of games at a higher level than reserves than he is going to stagnate, and as he is no where near good enough to challenge for a first team place YET,  this is highly likely to happen if he stays here next year..................
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62316 on: May 28, 2013, 08:44:28 pm »
Does anyone know when Samed Yesil will be set to return to training? I have high hopes for this kid based, hope he will come back fit and ready to force his way into the first team in couple of years.

He got injured in early February. I'd guess it'll be at least July / August before he's back in training.

Offline totalimmortal

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62317 on: May 30, 2013, 10:28:57 pm »
Has anyone seen this? Are Sky scouts any good? Because they are practically drooling all over Lloyd.

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/scout/15198/8743142/Sky-Sports-Scout
All i want to see is Agger on the team sheet and scoring 6 goals with each one celebrated by punching the reporters in the face with his YNWA tattoo.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62318 on: May 30, 2013, 10:42:35 pm »
Has anyone seen this? Are Sky scouts any good? Because they are practically drooling all over Lloyd.

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/scout/15198/8743142/Sky-Sports-Scout
They can't be that good, seems like they think Plymouth is in Cornwall.

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #62319 on: May 30, 2013, 11:01:51 pm »
He got injured in early February. I'd guess it'll be at least July / August before he's back in training.

A couple of months ago he was jogging with Brad Smith.
YNWA