Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12385221 times)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #62120 on: May 18, 2013, 03:27:26 am »
I'm sure they'll be good enough. Easily. Lads who play amatuer football can get scholarships over there. The standard isn't great in the grand scheme of things.

That's putting it nicely.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62121 on: May 18, 2013, 03:51:28 am »
More players should go abroad. Playing football for a living beats staying in this country, if you ask me.

I guess the first big rejection can be pretty devastating though.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #62122 on: May 18, 2013, 08:25:10 am »
I think bagpuss has got an excellent insight of what goes on at the academy.

People need to remember we have families of academy players posting on here

My son is an Acadamy player, I know nothing, I don't even know when they are taking a break for the summer.

Rumour has it, it's next week or so but I don't know for sure or how long they stop for.

Bagpuss??

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
« Reply #62123 on: May 18, 2013, 10:56:27 am »
They would probably walk into a top university side and get their education all paid for. Pretty sweet deal really and I'm surprised more don't do it. I know I would.

Are we expecting any surprises for the game tomorrow or much the same squad as last week?

Offline superjack

• Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Delilah (deh-du-diddle-diddle-diddydooo)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #62125 on: May 18, 2013, 06:48:41 pm »
My son is an Acadamy player, I know nothing, I don't even know when they are taking a break for the summer.

Rumour has it, it's next week or so but I don't know for sure or how long they stop for.

Bagpuss??

Next week it is. Then the restart beginning of June I think?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62126 on: May 19, 2013, 11:47:32 am »
Jordon Ibe apparently making his debut today.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62127 on: May 19, 2013, 11:48:25 am »

Great stuff.

Happy for the lad.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #62128 on: May 19, 2013, 12:22:49 pm »
Wow. Good news, hope he has a good game. Well in lad.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline bagpuss

• Recipient of the amorous affections bestowed by the lovely but excessively hairy Emily
  • Kopite
« Reply #62129 on: May 19, 2013, 12:59:31 pm »

Bagpuss??

Finished now till the beginning of July

The older lads have anyway, not sure about young'ns.

It is scholarship based with Quirk and Gainford.

Quirk fancies California while Gainford might be looking at Ohio.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62130 on: May 19, 2013, 05:29:55 pm »

He'll be getting more games next season, very impressive

Offline greenstien

• Bring out your stools.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do or do not, there is no try
« Reply #62131 on: May 19, 2013, 06:00:43 pm »
Jordan Ibe was great today.  Such confidence from such a young man on a massive step up from the U21's. Big things ahead for him and no doubt more game time next season.
Shelvey will become top class, mark my words... Infact quote me on that.

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #62132 on: May 19, 2013, 06:14:59 pm »
That was an extremely composed, mature debut from Ibe today.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #62133 on: May 19, 2013, 06:19:38 pm »
Forgot that he was making his debut after about 5 minutes.

Should temper the hype by pointing out that it was a dead rubber, end of season, against the shittest team in the division. But yeah, didn't look out of place. A season of U21s and cup games next year.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62134 on: May 19, 2013, 06:21:41 pm »
I'd rather him get a season of games in the Championship than play U21's but yeah, really impressive game from him and he looks physically ready for the league already.

Just hope he stays healthy and keeps his focus over the summer and for the coming seasons. Lots of people will be propping him up over the summer.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #62135 on: May 19, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »
Great season for all involved in the club below the first team.

Semi's of both the reserve league and FA Youth Cup.
Coady, Ibe, Sterling, Morgan, Wisdom, Robinson, Suso, Sinclair, Flanno, all getting first team minutes.

S'all good.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62136 on: May 19, 2013, 06:29:50 pm »
I'd rather him get a season of games in the Championship than play U21's but yeah, really impressive game from him and he looks physically ready for the league already.

Just hope he stays healthy and keeps his focus over the summer and for the coming seasons. Lots of people will be propping him up over the summer.

Really not as big on loans as some of the others on here. I think you start thinking about them when the players pushing 20, 21 and doesn't have a way of getting first team games at Liverpool. In Ibe's case there's no need for it yet.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62137 on: May 19, 2013, 07:03:44 pm »
Forgot that he was making his debut after about 5 minutes.

Should temper the hype by pointing out that it was a dead rubber, end of season, against the shittest team in the division. But yeah, didn't look out of place. A season of U21s and cup games next year.

It's really the perfect time to be giving a player like that a debut.  No pressure to be heaped on the lad if he struggles, and if he does well (which he did) it really boosts his confidence.  Not to mention that if we're looking to send him out on loan next season (which I kind of doubt, but who knows?) it improves his profile a lot.  If I were a team in the Championship looking to bring in a winger with a bit about him, Ibe just jumped up near the top of my list as a realistic loan target.

Even so, you're right to point out that we should be careful to manage the hype.  Not that he'll get much, really; I think everyone understands the situation, and the people who might not care to manage it (the media) will be too busy wanking over Ferguson and Scholes' retirement and the like.  Really, it worked out perfectly for us and Ibe both.

Not to mention the lad looks like he has a bit about him.  Did well, and I think he gets credit for the assist, no?
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62138 on: May 19, 2013, 07:12:24 pm »
I think Ibe will really struggle to get any sort of serious first team game-time next season, even in the cups.

Suarez, Coutinho, Borini, Downing, Sterling, Suso, all ahead of him in the pecking order.

He'll need to start performing at a serious consistent level for the reserves before he can even start challenging for a first team place.

The game today was very much an end-of-season affair and was a serious way off the pace of a competitive league game.

On massive advantage that a loan to the Championship or Division One has over the reserve league is that you have pretty much twice the number of games in the Championship compared to in the reserves.

We played 27 games in the reserve league this season getting to the semi-finals.

In the Championship and Division One there are 46 games and that is before either of the cups; which means the minimum number of games a Championship and Divison One side would have in a season would be 48 and could very easily hit into the over 50 territory if a club has any sort of a decent cup run. That's a lot of extra games for a youngsters development.

The perfect example of this is Tom Ince who has played 88 games in the last two seasons for Blackpool. How much has this helped his development?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:22:53 pm by johnhouldinglfc »

Offline Redondos Barber

• Kopite
« Reply #62139 on: May 19, 2013, 07:50:10 pm »
I think Ibe will really struggle to get any sort of serious first team game-time next season, even in the cups.

Suarez, Coutinho, Borini, Downing, Sterling, Suso, all ahead of him in the pecking order.

He'll need to start performing at a serious consistent level for the reserves before he can start challenging for a first team place.

The game today was very much an end-of-season affair and was a serious way off the pace of a competitive league game.

On massive advantage that a loan to the Championship or Division One has over the reserve league is that you have pretty much twice the number of games in the Championship compared to in the reserves.

We played 27 games in the reserve league this season getting to the semi-finals.

In the Championship and Division One there are 46 games and that is before either of the cups; which means the minimum number of games a Championship and Divison One side would have in a season would be 48 and could very easily hit into the over 50 territory if a club has any sort of a decent cup run. That's a lot of extra games for a youngsters development.

The perfect example of this is Tom Ince who has played 88 games in the last two seasons for Blackpool. How much has this helped his development?

He's 17 though. Wasn't he still playing U16 football for a part of last season? He needs  to be allowed time to grow and progress as much as anything else. Would you not prefer our teenage players to develop under the tutelage of Borrell and Inglethorpe, rather than be in the hands of some of the muck savages that masquerade as coaches down the leagues.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62140 on: May 19, 2013, 08:18:05 pm »
Missed the game but just heard about Ibe's start (and good performance). Any chance of unlocking http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=295781.0

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62141 on: May 19, 2013, 08:19:39 pm »
He's 17 though. Wasn't he still playing U16 football for a part of last season? He needs  to be allowed time to grow and progress as much as anything else. Would you not prefer our teenage players to develop under the tutelage of Borrell and Inglethorpe, rather than be in the hands of some of the muck savages that masquerade as coaches down the leagues.

I wouldnt send Ibe out on loan this season .

I'd give him a full season on in the reserves first.

The season after that I'd be looking to send him on loan.

I'd be looking for season long loans for Suso, Coady, N'goo, Morgan,  Sama, Adorjan, and Flanagan
Robinson and Shelvey are two others that might also be considered but season-long loans next season.

In a year's time I'd be looking at sending Ibe, McLaughlin, Teixeira, Yesil, Hodzic, Bijev, Smith, Pelosi and possibly Dunn and Petersen on loan.

There's only so much a coach can do after a certain stage.

The standard plan should be basically one full season at reserve level => loan to Championship.

It might vary because of injury/loan to a higher level but I think we need to improve our use of loans massively.

Coaches are always going to say that players are better off being under their expert tutelage but there is an element of "well they would say that" and I'm not sure I fully buy it.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #62142 on: May 19, 2013, 09:20:27 pm »
Worth rememebering that Ibe made his professional debut a couple of years ago which must have taken the edge off his nerves.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62143 on: May 19, 2013, 09:29:34 pm »
Hopefully this will help Sterling to improve as well. He will have seen today that he has someone a little bit younger than him who will be pushing for a spot on the wing in the next few years. The future looks bright for our wide players.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Gitsy606

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62144 on: May 19, 2013, 09:37:22 pm »
Ibe will hopefully push Sterling on and vice versa, proper competition for a place can make a huge difference when players are at that age.

Depending on summer signings and lack of European football, I would say both players will find it hard to get game time, I would say Sterling may be more of an impact player next year in the league and Ibe will spend most of his time in the u21 team and maybe be involved in a few cup games.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62145 on: May 19, 2013, 09:59:40 pm »
Really impressed how assured he was in possession he was was picking the right options while Raheem is more of a instinct sort of winger. Like the ball for Enrique to put him through. Another good player produced excited about his progress. Next season might be hard for him to get games but he can play in the under 21's and fight for his spot on the team after next season, we all know players get fast tracked Sterling,Wisdom and Suso. 

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62146 on: May 19, 2013, 10:17:42 pm »
Don't know if Ibe will be pushing Sterling all that much next season.

Ibe played 64 minutes of first team football this season [Today] and 765 minutes of reserve football.

Ibe's performances in the reserves have been good but hardly all that impressive especially when compared to the standard Sterling set in his brief cameos at reserve level.

Sterling played 2219 of first-team football, 1748 minutes of league time.

The 1748 minutes of league time was the 11th highest in the squad.

Sterling also played 231 minutes of reserve football.

Sterling was capped as a full international for England. Ibe didnt even make the English U20s.

Very hard to see a situation where Ibe starts putting Sterling under any sort of serious pressure until the season after next.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #62147 on: May 19, 2013, 10:24:16 pm »
Be nice if we could just let Ibe be Jordan Ibe and go at his own pace.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62148 on: May 19, 2013, 10:26:21 pm »
Really happy with Brendan's decision there. It gives Ibe and all the youth players extra motivation over the summer. They'll see Jordan getting a game and also Coady in the last game and think that if they work hard enough they can make the senior squad too.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62149 on: May 19, 2013, 10:56:24 pm »
Very hard to see a situation where Ibe starts putting Sterling under any sort of serious pressure until the season after next.

It's not about how close they are in ability that will pressure him to improve. It's just that today was a little reminder to Sterling that he has a player coming up behind him who could in future have the ability to take his place in the squad. Not that Sterling will need much motivation to keep improving of course
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
« Reply #62150 on: May 19, 2013, 11:36:55 pm »
How much work/would it even be possible to create a LFCB ala barca?
Would it start as a non-league team or possible to go around?

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62151 on: May 19, 2013, 11:59:10 pm »
Do you mean Liverpool basically having a B side as part of the league structure? It'd be impossible.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62152 on: May 20, 2013, 12:07:42 am »
Do you mean Liverpool basically having a B side as part of the league structure? It'd be impossible.
Thing is, that is the way to produce better players.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62153 on: May 20, 2013, 12:17:00 am »
Thing is, that is the way to produce better players.

Aye, but that'll take the FA deciding that they'd rather have the chance of better producing for the national team than having all these clubs that have been around for a 100+ years.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62154 on: May 20, 2013, 12:22:10 am »
Aye, but that'll take the FA deciding that they'd rather have the chance of better producing for the national team than having all these clubs that have been around for a 100+ years.
Yep and if I was a supporter of one of the clubs that was going to get the boot I wouldn't be happy about it whether it was good for the England side or not.

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62155 on: May 20, 2013, 12:39:49 am »

yes. why? seems logic to me..

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62156 on: May 20, 2013, 12:44:32 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6471413.stm

Think most of the pro's and con's are covered in this article :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:46:50 am by swordfishtrombone »

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62157 on: May 20, 2013, 12:59:46 am »

Offline superjack

• Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Delilah (deh-du-diddle-diddle-diddydooo)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #62158 on: May 20, 2013, 01:56:36 am »
Great season for all involved in the club below the first team.

Semi's of both the reserve league and FA Youth Cup.
Coady, Ibe, Sterling, Morgan, Wisdom, Robinson, Suso, Sinclair, Flanno, all getting first team minutes.

S'all good.

We were rubbish in the u18's league. We had a very easy run in fa youth cup to semis. We got well beat by Chelsea in semi. We were poor in the nex gen. Lost all our away matches and got destroyed by sporting. We faired better in the u21's until Xmas but we had basically no one on loan until then. We got well beaten by united in semi. Players got minutes in the Europa league group games that's hardly worth talking about same for the league cup. Our first team struggled first half of the season when wisdom,
Suso and sterling played. Ibe played in a dead rubber. Besides sterling no one else showed they were ready for the first team. can we honestly say there is anyone in the u21's ready to step to the first team next season even as a squad player. We totally over estimate our u21's and u18's. a lot of work is required plus a lot of recruitment. We were out classed too many times when we played anyone half decent.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:03:06 am by superjack »

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62159 on: May 20, 2013, 03:07:49 am »
We were rubbish in the u18's league. We had a very easy run in fa youth cup to semis. We got well beat by Chelsea in semi. We were poor in the nex gen. Lost all our away matches and got destroyed by sporting. We faired better in the u21's until Xmas but we had basically no one on loan until then. We got well beaten by united in semi. Players got minutes in the Europa league group games that's hardly worth talking about same for the league cup. Our first team struggled first half of the season when wisdom,
Suso and sterling played. Ibe played in a dead rubber. Besides sterling no one else showed they were ready for the first team. can we honestly say there is anyone in the u21's ready to step to the first team next season even as a squad player. We totally over estimate our u21's and u18's. a lot of work is required plus a lot of recruitment. We were out classed too many times when we played anyone half decent.

This is hilarious, talk about glass half empty.

We shouldn't be too focused on results and team performances. I'd argue three players made the jump from u21 to first team (Sterling, Suso and Wisdom) and that in itself is a far bigger success than a youth cup.  Wisdom started more games that Shelvey (19 starts)  while Suso made 20 appearances himself. Hard to argue all three of them didn't make the jump to first team. You're flat out wrong too about performances. Suso, Wisdom and Sterling didn't establish themselves until after the first 5 games and from there we averaged 1.7 ppg through til Christmas. That's an almost identical ppg to that acheived in the back half of the season though granted we weren't nearly as prolific in front of goal.

You mentioned too plenty of others played in the Europa league but hard to see that as anything other than a positive. We topped the group against Anzi, Young Boys and Udinese. You can talk it down all you want but Di Natalie is football royalty while Eto and Lass Diarra played for Barcelona and Real Madrid! These are good teams and our youngsters did well to play a role in topping the group against strong opposition.

In terms of stepping up from the u21's it's hard to say, that's a big jump as you know.  The likes of Coady and Robinson might not be ready for the first team football at Liverpool but they've progressed beyond the reserves and will likely be looking to have a big impact at Championship level if they can find a loan. Ibe will get opportunites in preseason after impressing in his "dead rubber" while i'm hopefully Texeira and McLaughlin get opporunity and impress as well.

Loyd Jones and Rossiter were probably the highlights, showing amazing progress over the course of the season. But guys like Dunn, Lussey etc showed improvement too. I get the point you're making though, it's not all sunshine and lollie pops. We were thread bare in defence at u18 level coming into the season and that really showed, depth very much needs to improve across the board from the first team through to the academy. Also have lacked goal scorers at every level. There were unfortunately injuries to Smith, Pelosi along with a few others but overall I think we can be very proud of what our academy achieved.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:42:15 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.