Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12385481 times)

Offline SteLFC91

• Legacy Fan
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #62400 on: June 8, 2013, 02:09:29 am »
Not sure if everyone is able to watch this or if you need a subscription, but this is a great 11 minute long interview with Coady, Wisdom and Sinclair. Can tell they've all got top attitudes. Wisdom makes me laugh every time he talks, he just doesn't look or sound he's only 19 at all. ;D

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/video/interview/14918-meet-lfc-s-stars-of-the-future

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #62401 on: June 8, 2013, 06:25:26 am »
6 - Deepest
8 - Box to box
10 - IN DER HOLE
Not really. These numbers haven't had any meaning since about the mid-sixties.

Number 6 was the old left-half position which originally approximated to a midfielder on the left-side of centre. There were no attacking or defensive midfielders in those days. Both the left-half (number 6) and the right-half (number 4) were expected to get up and down the pitch as required. One would drop off if the other went forward.

Subsequently, when twin centre-backs became popular (don't remember the concept before 1964 or 65) the number 4 or 6 frequently operated as a centre-back alongside the traditional centre-half (always the number 5), as well as the traditional half-back role.

Number 8 was not traditionally a box-to-box midfielder. Most clubs operated twin strikers, one of which was the centre-forward (number 9), whose co-striker would be either the number 8 or number 10. Our legendary scorer Roger Hunt was our number 8 for years and was as far from a box-to-box midfielder as can be imagined.

If the number 10 wasn't a co-striker he would be a midfielder (like our Jimmy Melia). The idea of playing in the hole simply didn't exist.

To confuse matters further, one of our all-time greats, Tommy Smith, played at number 10 originally, but as a centre-back alongside Ron Yeats (centre-half, number 5). This was a revolutionary set-up at the time.

In summary, your description of the traditional roles of numbers 6, 8 and 10 couldn't really be wider of the mark

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62402 on: June 8, 2013, 06:28:50 am »

Number 6 was the old left-half position which originally approximated to a midfielder on the left-side of centre. There were no attacking or defensive midfielders in those days. Both the left-half (number 6) and the right-half (number 4) were expected to get up and down the pitch as required. One would drop off if the other went forward.

Subsequently, when twin centre-backs became popular (don't remember the concept before 1964 or 65) the number 4 or 6 frequently operated as a centre-back alongside the traditional centre-half (always the number 5), as well as the traditional half-back role.

Number 8 was not traditionally a box-to-box midfielder. Most clubs operated twin strikers, one of which was the centre-forward (number 9), whose co-striker would be either the number 8 or number 10. Our legendary scorer Roger Hunt was our number 8 for years and was as far from a box-to-box midfielder as can be imagined.

If the number 10 wasn't a co-striker he would be a midfielder (like our Jimmy Melia). The idea of playing in the hole simply didn't exist.

To confuse matters further, one of our all-time greats, Tommy Smith, played at number 10 originally, but as a centre-back alongside Ron Yeats (centre-half, number 5). This was a revolutionary set-up at the time.

In summary, your description of the traditional roles of numbers 6, 8 and 10 couldn't really be wider of the mark

Pretty sure they have some kind of meaning in modern parlance, especially with regard to 4-3-3 set ups that Rodgers described in his interviews at the start of the year. And obviously the number a player wears on his back is irrelevant to them - it's a shorthand for a particular central midfield role in that system.

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62403 on: June 8, 2013, 06:34:33 am »
Pretty sure they have some kind of meaning in modern parlance, especially with regard to 4-3-3 set ups that Rodgers described in his interviews at the start of the year. And obviously the number a player wears on his back is irrelevant to them - it's a shorthand for a particular central midfield role in that system.
when did these meanings become established in modern parlance? The original query asked about the roles of players with those particular numbers "in old money". Perhaps my money's older than yours. Either way, the way I described it is exactly as it was traditionally

Offline Redaldinho

• Kopite
« Reply #62404 on: June 8, 2013, 06:36:26 am »
Not sure if everyone is able to watch this or if you need a subscription, but this is a great 11 minute long interview with Coady, Wisdom and Sinclair. Can tell they've all got top attitudes. Wisdom makes me laugh every time he talks, he just doesn't look or sound he's only 19 at all. ;D

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/video/interview/14918-meet-lfc-s-stars-of-the-future

fantastic lads!

wish em all the best, thanks for the link

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #62405 on: June 8, 2013, 06:59:01 am »

This is lovely and everything, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't asking what the number meant in old money, but how the number links up with the role nowadays. When people are talking about a ten nowadays they're talking about the most advanced midfielder (in der hole) and so on.

I don't really buy into the whole numbers thing myself because it means totally different things all over the world (in Argentina the #5 is the deepest lying midfielder, not a centerback). At Liverpool since Keegan the #7 has almost always been the fella playing off the front. Most of the world would say that's the #10.

The only reason it got brought up on here in the first place was a lad mentioned that the club had been asking Jordan Lussey to play as a 'six' in midfield. The lad in question seems to know what's going on in the academy so it's been taken on board that regardless of how it used to be, the way they're talking in the club is in terms of a 6, an 8, and a 10 in midfield (which seems to be how it lines up at a lot of the continental clubs who play 4-3-3. Certainly at youth level before players get attached to a bizarre number).

I didn't mean that as a '6' was regarded as traditionally the deepest lying midfielder, just that that's how it was being talked of now. Arsed really if they want to call it the Makelele role, a deep-lying playmaker, regista, six, volante, or whatever else. Just saying that when you see a lad wearing the number 6 on his back U18 or U21 level, you're watching the player who will sit at the base of the midfield.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #62406 on: June 8, 2013, 04:47:38 pm »
Sergio Canos just to be confirmed by the club. Barcelona announced that he's leaving.

Henderson only LFC starter in the Eng u21 game about to kick off soon.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62407 on: June 8, 2013, 07:41:07 pm »
Guardian had an interview with Tom Ince.

Nothing really earth-shattering but some evidence than the reserve league isn't really up to standard in terms of preparing youngsters for first-team action.

For Ince, his progress at Bloomfield Road, where he has made 88 appearances across two seasons, vindicates the decision to turn his back on Liverpool in 2011 in pursuit of first-team football. "When I went to Notts County [on loan in 2010] with my old man [who was manager] I loved every minute of it. Playing in front of 15,000 fans, that few months opened my eyes to what I would call the real world," Ince says.

"You get a silver spoon in your mouth at an academy. You play on a Tuesday night, win 3-0 and just get a pat on the back and 'report for training tomorrow'. You don't feel anything. At 18-19 I made a big decision. I sat down with my dad and said: 'It is time for me to go and play some football'. Luckily for me I made the right decision. You have to take your own route in life and I sit here today with no regrets. I look back and I look at the player I am now, there's still a long way to go but I have played in some fantastic games."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/07/thomas-ince-england-under-21-blackpool

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #62408 on: June 8, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »

Nothing really earth-shattering but some evidence than the reserve league isn't really up to standard in terms of preparing youngsters for first-team action.

Which was why the reserve league was revamped last year, after he went to Blackpool?
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #62409 on: June 8, 2013, 08:00:28 pm »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/07/thomas-ince-england-under-21-blackpool

I can't help but wonder where  Adorjan,  Coady,  Sama and some of the other older U21's would be if they had taken the same route as Ince.  My gut feeling is that they would be closer to regular first team action than they are now, or a decision would have been made that their futures lay elsewhere.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62410 on: June 8, 2013, 08:04:20 pm »
I can't help but wonder where  Adorjan,  Coady,  Sama and some of the other older U21's would be if they had taken the same route as Ince.  My gut feeling is that they would be closer to regular first team action than they are now, or a decision would have been made that their futures lay elsewhere.

I'm sure each and every one of them plus another dozen would be closer to 1st team football at Blackpool than they are at Liverpool, goes without saying I'd say. Whether it would be the best thing for them in the long run is another matter.

Offline Saul Goodman

• Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #62411 on: June 8, 2013, 08:40:04 pm »
Which was why the reserve league was revamped last year, after he went to Blackpool?

What difference has it made though really? If anything I'd say the quality of football this season overall was of a poorer standard and certainly think it's just as far off preparing them for the first team if not further.

This is aside of the tactical acumen that they learn by remaining at Liverpool and the continuity which is suppose to exists to have the club functioning more as a whole with the youth players all learning the needed skills for the same first team role. That's a completely different thing and I'm purely talking about the level of football in the u21 league which they get tested by week in/week out and the revamp in my eyes hasn't and won't have any real effect on the quality/competitiveness of matches they'll be involved in to bridge the gap towards first team.

Most players will still need to go on loan or take a step away from the club like Ince to prove themselves.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62412 on: June 8, 2013, 08:48:58 pm »
What difference has it made though really? If anything I'd say the quality of football this season overall was of a poorer standard and certainly think it's just as far off preparing them for the first team if not further.

This is aside of the tactical acumen that they learn by remaining at Liverpool and the continuity which is suppose to exists to have the club functioning more as a whole with the youth players all learning the needed skills for the same first team role. That's a completely different thing and I'm purely talking about the level of football in the u21 league which they get tested by week in/week out and the revamp in my eyes hasn't and won't have any real effect on the quality/competitiveness of matches they'll be involved in to bridge the gap towards first team.

Most players will still need to go on loan or take a step away from the club like Ince to prove themselves.

I don't know, don't expect anybody will know after a year, but NextGen (and Euro Cup) as well as revised league may be an improvement. Lpool have done OK this season with players coming in, maybe more out of neccessity than anything else.

Thing is, for me, Ince has become a by-word for everything that is wrong, yes he has developed at Balckpool but I saw a lot of him in Kirkby and never particularly thought he was knocking on doors, certainly not like Sterling. Maybe when the format has had a few years, we'll know better if it is preparing players for the first team. Maybe when Ince is playing at the top level and without a media love-in we'll know better about him, but personally don't see what else Liverpool could have done with him.

I'm still not convinced about loans or leaving top clubs being better, like you can have a best generic route, it is about the individuals and people being in a position. What is best for one player may not be the same best route for another, sometimes its about opportunity and being in teh right place at the right time. We could always send Couthino to Stoke!

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #62413 on: June 8, 2013, 09:12:06 pm »
I think they would have preferred him if he was a bit stronger.
I don't think it's that black and white.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62414 on: June 8, 2013, 09:13:16 pm »
I'm pretty confident Adorjan will be a top flight footy player in France or Holland. I'd actually be looking to offload him permanently and put in a sell-on fee clause, if I was getting my Football Manager on. Maybe we'll need to get him out on loan to get clubs interested though.

It's the thing about footy players though. There really is no right method to getting potential-fulfilment. There have been plenty of players who keep getting shipped out on loan by their parent club, and though they perform well in those spells, the constant transition ends up being bad for them. What is most important is that we have a manager who gives the young lads game time and chances. They can go on loan all they like but if there isn't a chance of first-team footy it's just as harmful as rotting in the ressies. I think we do have that manager though.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62415 on: June 8, 2013, 09:15:18 pm »
I'm pretty confident Adorjan will be a top flight footy player in France or Holland. I'd actually be looking to offload him permanently and put in a sell-on fee clause, if I was getting my Football Manager on. Maybe we'll need to get him out on loan to get clubs interested though.

Him & Nemeth

Offline Saul Goodman

• Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #62416 on: June 8, 2013, 09:16:39 pm »
I wasn't trying to hold Ince up as some example of the route that should be followed by these players. I was purely questioning the idea that the revamp has somehow altered the level of the youth league that these players now play in a league which gives them sufficient test compared to moving to playing competitive football at a Championship club. I don't think the change has made things much different. The u21 league is still miles from the first team level. The NextGen certainly has been a massive step forward in seeing where we're at in terms of development. It's often quite easy to see in those matches the kind of level some of the players are really at in terms of talent/development.

I'd agree that players should be tearing the u21 league apart on a regular basis to be considered good enough for a chance at teh first team. Sterling showed what's needed for you to have a shot of making it at first team level at Liverpool. With youth players though as you say certain kids develop at different rates. Those are the kids that need to leave. I mean once you're banging on 19/20 without looking like you have a shot of getting a first team chance, I think you're only rotting/stagnating by staying in youth football and you're much better off taking the leap out into the real football world to develop.

« Last Edit: June 8, 2013, 09:18:25 pm by Saul Goodman »

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #62417 on: June 8, 2013, 09:25:25 pm »
Him & Nemeth

To be fair, Nemeth is a top flight player in Holland. And an international.

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #62418 on: June 8, 2013, 09:31:46 pm »
didn't know that , which dutch team does he play for?
Really thought the lad had a shot at making it here at the time, nice to hear he did in the end

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62419 on: June 8, 2013, 09:37:52 pm »

Wan't he an international while playing in our reserves?

Not knocking the lad but every man and his dog were telling us he was destined for great things and we would regret letting him go, Roda, hardly all that, even if he is only 24. Point is it is rarely as straightforward as some would have it. Look at Kakaclinic and Della Valle and who we were going to regret truth is, we only very rarely have a clue.

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #62420 on: June 8, 2013, 09:47:59 pm »
Wan't he an international while playing in our reserves?

Not knocking the lad but every man and his dog were telling us he was destined for great things and we would regret letting him go, Roda, hardly all that, even if he is only 24. Point is it is rarely as straightforward as some would have it. Look at Kakaclinic and Della Valle and who we were going to regret truth is, we only very rarely have a clue.
so many kids think they've made it before they actually have, so irrespective of the talent they have it's not easy to predict which one is going to have the drive to push on and make it in the game.
Sometimes they need that kick up the arse by slipping down the levels before they come to their senses and realise what they need to do

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #62421 on: June 8, 2013, 09:54:55 pm »
I'm sure each and every one of them plus another dozen would be closer to 1st team football at Blackpool than they are at Liverpool, goes without saying I'd say. Whether it would be the best thing for them in the long run is another matter.

Ince isn't closer to first team football with Blackpool,  since 2011, he's played 77 times for them,  thats 77 games against fully developed men,  in what is acknowledged as a physical and fast league.  That has to push a player on and test whether they can make the required amount of progress.  Meanwhile Coady,  Sama and Adorjan (and others in our U21's) have been big fish in a  far littler U21 pond where time on the ball is endless and players far less physical.  I'm arguing that they would have all progressed far faster had they done what Ince did..........get out and get some genuine league experience.

No-one will know how how it will pan out in the long run,  but looking at just one case.....Lukaku,   Chelsea rated him highy,  but knew he wouldn't get the game time if he stayed with them,  so they leant him to WBA where he improved massively.  Of course he could have stayed playing at U21 level,  but what would he have learned??  He's actually 3 months younger than Coady.

The point I'm making isn't to knock Coady or any other u21 player on our books,  it's to try and show that players need games to develop,  and these guys are at a crucial age.  if they dont get significant game time soon it's going to be too late for most of them.

Of our current first team,  in the season they turned 21,  (the season upcoming for Coady et al) they played the following number of times for their league club.  Now we can dismiss the quality of some of these teams,  but 7 of the 10 were playing regularly in the EPL.  Not a single player in our first team was in the U21's/Ressies age 20 to 21.  they were all getting significant first team action. And thats the most important point, do we think any out of Coady,  Adorjan,  Sama (to name a few) will be??  Not in my opinion they won't,  they aren't yet ready.  It doesn't mean they can't make it,  but the odds are stacking against them based on our first team from the second half of last season.

Glen Johnson,  (1984)   Age 20 season 2004/2005   - 17 league apps for Chelsea

Jamie Carragher (1978) Age 20 season 1998/1999 - 34 league apps for Liverpool

Daniel Agger  (1984) Age 20 Season 2004/2005,   - 26 league apps for Brondby

Jose Enrique (1986) Age 20 season 2006/2007  - 14 league apps for Celta Vigo

Joe Allen (1990) Age 20 season 2010/2011  - 43 league apps for Swansea City

Jordan Henderson (1990) Age 20 season 2010/2011   - 37 league apps for Sunderland

Lucas Leiva (1987) Age 20, season 2007/2008  - 18 league apps for Liverpool

Steven Gerrard  (1980) Age 20, season 2000/2001 - 33 league apps for Liverpool

Stewart Downing (1984) age 20, season 2004/2005 - 35 league apps for Middlesbrough

Daniel Sturridge (1989) age 20 season 2009/10 - 13 league apps for Chelsea

Luis Suarez (1987) age 20 season 2007/2008 - 33 apps for Ajax

Philiipe Coutinho (1992) age 20 season 2012/2013 - 10 apps for Inter,  13 for Liverpool
(all stats from Soccerway)

Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62422 on: June 8, 2013, 10:07:29 pm »

Top post.

Original point was that players should move on or go on loan to lower divisions to get closer to regular first team football, citing Ince's decision to leave as the example. My point was that you would expect any youngster in the Liverpool running to get more games/ minutes at Blackpool, whether Ince's 77 games at Blackpool serves him better than Couthino's 10 at Inter, I don't know but I'd hazzard a guess.

Players develop at different rates, some have luck on their side, in terms of being in the right place at the right time, sometimes a route will suit one that will not suit another, but are just born with such god given talent that they are always going to succeed, for others they have unswerving faith in themselves, tehre are rarely two carbon copy scenarios, and sometimes managers and coaches get it right.

What I do know is that there is no plug and play formula which can be applied across the board as every would be wanker of a footy manager on the internet appears to believe that there is. I know I've seen some of the best young players in the world but have only raraely been anywhere near right about them.

Feel free to throw another load of irrelevant facts and figures at me to disprove my point, if you like.

Offline FanaticalRed

• Kopite
« Reply #62423 on: June 8, 2013, 10:37:57 pm »
Every now and again someone will use Nemeth as an example of how we overrate our young lads but they always seem to forget that he looked destined for the first team until he suffered a serious injury and sadly he never looked the same player once he returned.

Hopefully Yesil will make a full recovery later this year but it will be very interesting to see if he can get back to the same level he was at prior to his injury.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62424 on: June 8, 2013, 10:49:28 pm »
Every now and again someone will use Nemeth as an example of how we overrate our young lads

You are right, we are reknowned for keeping our feet on the ground when talking about the prospects of young players in Kirkby and Melwood. Never seem anybody go over the top about a 15/ 16/ 17 year old myself.

Offline FanaticalRed

• Kopite
« Reply #62425 on: June 8, 2013, 10:55:13 pm »
You are right, we are reknowned for keeping our feet on the ground when talking about the prospects of young players in Kirkby and Melwood. Never seem anybody go over the top about a 15/ 16/ 17 year old myself.

I'm not saying that we don't get carried away with the young lads. But Nemeth is a poor example for people to use due to the fact injury prevented him from reaching his potential.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62426 on: June 8, 2013, 11:03:34 pm »
I'm not saying that we don't get carried away with the young lads. But Nemeth is a poor example for people to use due to the fact injury prevented him from reaching his potential.

But we'll never know how good he was or could be, yet every man & his dog were comparing him to Robbie, and lets be honest we've had far more Wayne Harrisons or Lee Jones's on the horizon than Robbie Fowlers over the years. Both of those got injuries you know so we'll never know if they could have been Roger Hunts, just know that they weren't.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62427 on: June 8, 2013, 11:13:08 pm »
I don't know, don't expect anybody will know after a year, but NextGen (and Euro Cup) as well as revised league may be an improvement. Lpool have done OK this season with players coming in, maybe more out of neccessity than anything else.

Thing is, for me, Ince has become a by-word for everything that is wrong, yes he has developed at Balckpool but I saw a lot of him in Kirkby and never particularly thought he was knocking on doors, certainly not like Sterling. Maybe when the format has had a few years, we'll know better if it is preparing players for the first team. Maybe when Ince is playing at the top level and without a media love-in we'll know better about him, but personally don't see what else Liverpool could have done with him.

I'm still not convinced about loans or leaving top clubs being better, like you can have a best generic route, it is about the individuals and people being in a position. What is best for one player may not be the same best route for another, sometimes its about opportunity and being in teh right place at the right time. We could always send Couthino to Stoke!

Fuck knows where it was, but I was asking the question the other day whether going out on loan to a club that plays a similar style to us is better for the kids than keeping them developing with our own coaches. The best person to answer that question with the most insight might be the professional coaches on here like Phase of Play because I haven't got a scooby. But that's a dead interesting point you've made there John, there might actually not be a formula to it and it's the individual who matters most. Two players, similar ability and one might benefit better from playing time at Watford or someone while the other might shrink under the pressure, or not be physically matured enough or more injury prone or whatever. I suppose the thing is, even in depth reports from the loan team might not tell us the whole story of how they're progressing does it? And the bit about being in the right place at the right time is true enough like last season. Sterling or Wisdom could easily have gone out on loan before the season started and they might have missed out on all the games they ended up playing for us. Fucking minefield if you ask me, but the end of the day, we all want the same thing - for the best of our kids to get into the first team if and when they're ready for it.

And the last suggestion is just fucking daft. When have those fucking Argies ever done it on a cold windy night at the Brittania? They don't like it up 'em those foreign fucking mercenaries.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline hwieniawski

• Kopite
« Reply #62428 on: June 9, 2013, 03:30:05 am »
Coutinho might have played 10 for Inter this season, but his total appearances for Inter and Espanyol is quite high.

I'd forgotten how young Lucas was when he joined. Feels like ages ago.

Also, in response to Leivapool, I think it's a good sign when a player moves/looks to move in order to get 1st team action. While there's no question that players can learn a lot in the reserve league while working with top coaches, there's NOTHING that can prepare them for true competitive action, and players that have the confidence and desire to push through a move or a loan in order to get that experience are often the players that have the work rate, confidence, and desire to make it. A player who is content to coast in the reserves for 3 or 4 years....well it's not a good sign, no matter how talented the player
juve e liverpool amici per sempre

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #62429 on: June 9, 2013, 08:28:34 pm »
But we'll never know how good he was or could be, yet every man & his dog were comparing him to Robbie, and lets be honest we've had far more Wayne Harrisons or Lee Jones's on the horizon than Robbie Fowlers over the years. Both of those got injuries you know so we'll never know if they could have been Roger Hunts, just know that they weren't.

Even Fowler was never the same after a serious injury. Neither was Nemeth or Harrison - they were just unlucky to get them before their careers had really started.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline The Red Machine

• Kemlynite
  • JFT96
« Reply #62430 on: June 9, 2013, 08:46:12 pm »
We seem to be adding some top talents to our ranks: Pedro Chirivella from Valencia, Sergi Canos from Barca and Matheus Biteco from Gremio are apparently close to signing. Our club seems to be picking up the best youngster, long may it continue.

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62431 on: June 9, 2013, 10:08:33 pm »
Him & Nemeth

Nemeth had a terrible luck with injuries, even when he was with us. He has still managed to save his career, and is playing for Roda in the Eredivisie. He has even been recalled to the Hungarian national team.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62432 on: June 10, 2013, 06:52:49 pm »
MrBoywunder
Great news. Hodzic was given a work permit a couple of days ago. Seems like a natural finisher.

MrBoywunder
Hodzic actually has a 6-year deal at #LFC.

Chris Lawley
Armin Hodžić played the full match for Bosnia U19s 3-2 defeat to Sweden today. 6 shots. 1 on target. 1 goal. #LFC

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62433 on: June 10, 2013, 08:03:38 pm »
Things have been odd recently. I feel like the youth development process is more complex. As we improve as a team, the players we try to bring through will have a harder time to break through. If everything goes well we will be in a worst of both worlds position - neither with the Europa league games to put our youngsters into, or the breathing space a team like Barcelona has to put youth players in - because the best player in the world is giving them a two goal advantage every game (simplification, but not entirely untrue).

If we are not careful we could well become like every other team in the league, who according to stats aren't playing a great deal of youngsters anymore. I feel, as if we need to cut players loose to find their own way quicker. We cannot continue to keep players who outgrow the reserve team here. We either send them out on loan or cut them loose with the aim of bringing them back later, if said player does make mercurial progress. We can talk about the players learning more tactic wise here - but all the tactical knowledge in the world won't help them if they don't get early games to adapt, evolve and put said knowledge to use.

I would love to see plenty of players get a chance next season - I'm sure plenty will get a chance pre-season. But, realistically they won't. Maybe we do need to get players to understand that they must sink or swim - excelling at reserve level from this point isn't going to be enough anymore, I feel.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62434 on: June 10, 2013, 08:36:17 pm »
MrBoywunder
Great news. Hodzic was given a work permit a couple of days ago. Seems like a natural finisher.

MrBoywunder
Hodzic actually has a 6-year deal at #LFC.

Chris Lawley
Armin Hodžić played the full match for Bosnia U19s 3-2 defeat to Sweden today. 6 shots. 1 on target. 1 goal. #LFC

I have never seen the kid play, but I do have a mate in Bosnia who is a passionate Zeljeznicar fan, and he says that the kid is a real deal.  When I asked him if he is similar to Dzeko, he has replied that he is more like Radmilo Mihajlovic. This would probably mean nothing to the younger fans, especially outside former Yugoslavia, but it is a massive praise, coming from a Zeljeznicar fan.

Offline hwieniawski

• Kopite
So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #62435 on: June 11, 2013, 03:04:17 am »
I'd much rather a mihajlovic than a dzeko! Fingers crossed
juve e liverpool amici per sempre

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #62436 on: June 11, 2013, 09:29:15 am »
Michael Sweeting ‏@M_Sweeting 17s
LFC U21 striker Armin Hodzic has reportedly been given a work permit and can finally play for Liverpool. He has been on loan to Zeljeznicar.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62437 on: June 11, 2013, 09:41:00 am »
U21's next season?

Gk - Ward / Fulton
Fb - Robinson / Flanagan / Mclaughlin / Smith
Cb - Jones / Sama / Wisdom / Ilori
Mf - Lussey / Biteco / Rossiter / Teixeira / Pelosi / Coady
Fw - Canos / Ibe / Dunn / Sterling / Suso / Peterson / Adorjan
St - Hodzic / Yesil / Morgan / Ngoo

Looks a very strong squad - even if you take out Wisdom/Suso/Sterling/Ilori, maybe lacking depth at center half/fullback?

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #62438 on: June 11, 2013, 09:44:00 am »
U21's next season?

Gk - Ward / Fulton
Fb - Robinson / Flanagan / Mclaughlin / Smith
Cb - Jones / Sama / Wisdom / Ilori
Mf - Lussey / Biteco / Rossiter / Teixeira / Pelosi / Coady
Fw - Canos / Ibe / Dunn / Sterling / Suso / Peterson / Adorjan
St - Hodzic / Yesil / Morgan / Ngoo

Looks a very strong squad - even if you take out Wisdom/Suso/Sterling/Ilori, maybe lacking depth at center half/fullback?
what about Pedro CHirivella?

If your putting in players that might sign then this kid needs to be involved as well

;)

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62439 on: June 11, 2013, 09:45:02 am »
what about Pedro CHirivella?

If your putting in players that might sign then this kid needs to be involved as well

;)

I'd of thought he'd go into the U18's as he's only 16, the rest are all 18+ (I think) etc.