Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3501327 times)

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #54880 on: July 24, 2022, 06:07:48 pm »
Just finished The Gray Man on Netflix. Real waste of Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans.
Yeah, it's really not good at all. Even for a Saturday night turn-your-brain-off film, it was seriously lacking. And as you say, it wastes Gosling and Evans.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #54881 on: July 25, 2022, 01:46:36 am »
well i know that gosling is playing Ken in the upcomong Barbie film - best script he's ever read, according to him... - so maybe his choice of work is in the willis/cage/Rourke ballpark, some great movies but happy to to sign up to utter garbage

as rourke once famously said during the promotion of one of his terrible films (Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man), 'sometimes you just work for money' lol
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #54882 on: July 25, 2022, 11:15:58 am »
Just finished The Gray Man on Netflix. Real waste of Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans.

watched it last night at home on the TV with the sound system thinking it would be great

by the numbers is a good way to put it

by comparison 6 Underground is way better at being a fun watchable action movie

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54883 on: July 25, 2022, 11:48:41 am »
Pretty much all the action scenes in The Gray Man were unwatchable. Couldn't see what was going on with smoke, lighting, poor CG or both. Hard to believe this was directed by the same people that did Winter Soldier.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54884 on: July 25, 2022, 03:40:07 pm »
Thanks for the responses on Top Gun! Ended up watching Boiling Point - had no idea that was all filmed in what looked like 1 take!?

Good film.  Very stressful to watch, probably because of the one take.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #54885 on: July 25, 2022, 04:47:34 pm »
Pretty much all the action scenes in The Gray Man were unwatchable. Couldn't see what was going on with smoke, lighting, poor CG or both. Hard to believe this was directed by the same people that did Winter Soldier.

I embarrassingly thought this was called 'Gosling' cos thats all I saw flash up in the trailer
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #54886 on: July 25, 2022, 04:48:21 pm »

Yeah it wasn't great was it?

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54887 on: July 25, 2022, 05:07:41 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aeZXhy6mIyE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aeZXhy6mIyE</a>

The follow-up to 2017’s 'The Outlaws'. Entertaining  movie ... if action is your genre.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54888 on: July 26, 2022, 05:10:53 pm »
Yeah, it's really not good at all. Even for a Saturday night turn-your-brain-off film, it was seriously lacking. And as you say, it wastes Gosling and Evans.

They've just announced a sequel and a spinoff  ;D

I'm sure loads of people have watched it since launch, but that's not really indicative of its quality. Netflix's interface means they can beat you over the head with the content they want you to watch, and obviously Gosling and Evans were going to lure people in on top of that.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #54889 on: July 27, 2022, 12:38:26 pm »
Coming to RAWK for help in finding the name of a film.

Maybe a year ago, I watched a fairly unremarkable film on Netflix. It may have been a Blumhouse production but it also may have been one of Netflix's own films. No combination of sentences describing the premise seems to get a hit on Google to tell me the film's name.

The Premise is that a Family with some unnamed tensions between them live a lifestyle of wealth in a beautiful house where there's mentions of past shared trauma and incidents that aren't explicitly revealed. Anyway, two drifters - a man and a woman I think, maybe even an additional man - are living in the crawl space in the attic as part of a social media/ online trend seeing how long they can live there rent free and undetected, coming out at night or when the house is empty to steal food etc. One of them seems to have a screw loose and wants to mess with the family and spook them, pulling pranks etc and his behaviour gets progressively more extreme leading to disaster.

Probably everyone's seen something similar sounding but if anyone could remember it would ease my mind. It was probably some time from like 2012 - 2020 I would say.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #54890 on: July 27, 2022, 12:48:14 pm »
Squatters?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54891 on: July 27, 2022, 05:44:18 pm »
Squatters?
Unfortunately no. Been driving me mad.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #54892 on: July 27, 2022, 05:59:57 pm »

Maybe a year ago, I watched a fairly unremarkable film on Netflix. It may have been a Blumhouse production but it also may have been one of Netflix's own films. No combination of sentences describing the premise seems to get a hit on Google to tell me the film's name.

The Premise is that a Family with some unnamed tensions between them live a lifestyle of wealth in a beautiful house where there's mentions of past shared trauma and incidents that aren't explicitly revealed. Anyway, two drifters - a man and a woman I think, maybe even an additional man - are living in the crawl space in the attic as part of a social media/ online trend seeing how long they can live there rent free and undetected, coming out at night or when the house is empty to steal food etc. One of them seems to have a screw loose and wants to mess with the family and spook them, pulling pranks etc and his behaviour gets progressively more extreme leading to disaster.

Probably everyone's seen something similar sounding but if anyone could remember it would ease my mind. It was probably some time from like 2012 - 2020 I would say.
Might it be... Crawlspace ?  (2013)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2141777/
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline FaitAccompli

• Kopite
« Reply #54893 on: July 27, 2022, 06:03:14 pm »

Is it either https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawlspace_(2013_film)?
or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_See_You_(2019_film)?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54894 on: July 27, 2022, 09:53:59 pm »

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54895 on: July 28, 2022, 01:39:46 pm »
Been meaning to watch for a while, but finally got round to watching Riders of Justice

Really enjoyed it and thoroughly recommended

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54896 on: July 28, 2022, 06:02:09 pm »
Watched 'Nobody' starring Bob Odenkirk. Decent one - entertaining.
Also, has a nice little rendition of YNWA in the middle of an apocalyptic gun fight.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #54897 on: July 28, 2022, 11:04:39 pm »
You have to find your own way, but Children of Men in black and white, well

Yep

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54898 on: July 29, 2022, 05:36:49 pm »
If you do find a way to pay for Children Of Men (B&W) please do.  If we stop paying for shit we can't complain when all we get are superhero films.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54899 on: July 29, 2022, 06:16:09 pm »
You have to find your own way, but Children of Men in black and white, well

Yep
If you do find a way to pay for Children Of Men (B&W) please do.  If we stop paying for shit we can't complain when all we get are superhero films.

Is this the Clive Owen movie you're talking about? Did it get a re-release or something?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54900 on: July 29, 2022, 06:24:34 pm »
Is this the Clive Owen movie you're talking about? Did it get a re-release or something?

It's the Clive Owen one.  There's a black and white version that makes it seem like a different film.  It's an extra on a blu-ray somewhere, not the one I have but on a specific region disc.  I imagine it's certainly worth checking out, that said the original version is a masterpiece anyway.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54901 on: July 29, 2022, 07:14:37 pm »
Seems like there's currently a lull in any big films coming out at the moment, Nope came out in America last weekend but won't be in the UK for a few more weeks yet.

Doesn't help when stuff like The Grey Man goes straight onto Netflix. Weird to think if that was a cinema release I'd have gone opening weekend yet because its always on Netflix I've just not bothered with it yet.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54902 on: July 29, 2022, 08:10:18 pm »
It's the Clive Owen one.  There's a black and white version that makes it seem like a different film.  It's an extra on a blu-ray somewhere, not the one I have but on a specific region disc.  I imagine it's certainly worth checking out, that said the original version is a masterpiece anyway.

Yeah I really enjoyed the original, although it's been a long time since I saw it.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #54903 on: July 30, 2022, 11:39:46 am »
Just got round to watching The Lost City and it's a very funny film, the chemistry is spot on.

My one gripe is Sandra Bullock must have had some work done on her face, as she had this constant expression as if she was about to burst into tears  ;D Didn't matter what the scene called for; joy, fear, surprise, anger   ...she just looked like she was about to bawl her eyes out!

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #54904 on: July 30, 2022, 04:37:14 pm »
Norwegian movie - The Innocents; kids with superpowers in a dark tale.

Put the mobile down to watch this one.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #54905 on: July 30, 2022, 05:54:51 pm »
Enjoyed Where The Crawdads Sing this week.

Like most films taken from books, there’s a lack of detail but thought this was a really good portrayal.

The book is fantastic!

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54906 on: August 1, 2022, 03:28:56 am »
Jurassic World Dominion

daft and terrible

when you think back to the original film, which i found interesting and fun and the dino's were stellar, it's been on the slide ever since, pity cos im sure there's more they could've done with it apart from repeating the same formula continually (with ever decreasing quality)
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54907 on: August 1, 2022, 09:33:33 am »
I think the whole Jurassic thing couldn't kick on once the dino's were revealed in the 1st one. That initial 'wow' moment and how to take it all in was amazing at the time.

After that, what where they going to do? go bigger, and bigger but by now we've seen it before.

Furthermore, if this was somehow set in older times it would have made for a more interesting challenge.

Nowadays with modern technology/weapons there's always the thought in the back of your mind to say "How far will this go? just nuke the lot of them" or use one of the many advanced weapons at our disposal, so to me, it takes away the dramatic tension of it all.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #54908 on: August 1, 2022, 09:44:45 am »
If they had just included Doug McClure then the series would have been spectacular

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54909 on: August 1, 2022, 09:48:38 am »
I'd even take Troy McClure!

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #54910 on: August 1, 2022, 11:28:46 am »
Make the dinosaurs sentient and do a Planet Of The Apes with them.

Then have Troy McClure star in the musical.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #54911 on: August 1, 2022, 12:02:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure one of the pitches for maybe Jurassic World was to have talking dinosaurs.

Jurassic World I actually thought was not too bad, better than JP3 anyway even if it was literally just a reboot of what happened in the first. But there's only so many ways you can get a group of people stranded somewhere with loose dinosaurs before it gets too silly (even for a film about dinosaurs). I'm surprised actually that they've never done a prequel, or even a prequel trilogy. 'Dawn of Jurassic Park' or something. There's a lot of backstory with Hammond, Wu, Nedry, Dodgson etc about how they even got to the point of breeding dinosaurs.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54912 on: August 1, 2022, 03:26:21 pm »
I'm pretty sure one of the pitches for maybe Jurassic World was to have talking dinosaurs.

Jurassic World I actually thought was not too bad, better than JP3 anyway even if it was literally just a reboot of what happened in the first. But there's only so many ways you can get a group of people stranded somewhere with loose dinosaurs before it gets too silly (even for a film about dinosaurs). I'm surprised actually that they've never done a prequel, or even a prequel trilogy. 'Dawn of Jurassic Park' or something. There's a lot of backstory with Hammond, Wu, Nedry, Dodgson etc about how they even got to the point of breeding dinosaurs.

I'm sure half of them on the transfer thread are talking dinosaurs.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54913 on: August 1, 2022, 05:04:34 pm »
I think the whole Jurassic thing couldn't kick on once the dino's were revealed in the 1st one. That initial 'wow' moment and how to take it all in was amazing at the time.

After that, what where they going to do? go bigger, and bigger but by now we've seen it before.

Furthermore, if this was somehow set in older times it would have made for a more interesting challenge.

Nowadays with modern technology/weapons there's always the thought in the back of your mind to say "How far will this go? just nuke the lot of them" or use one of the many advanced weapons at our disposal, so to me, it takes away the dramatic tension of it all.

that was my point

are we saying you can't have an interesting dinosaur movie once dino's have been seen? of course not

it's down to the writing, crafting an interesting story

you could apply the same principle to any movie that has 'monsters' - just cos we've seen the vampire we can't have an interesting movie after the fact?

this is what i mean when i often talk about lazy story writing, it's not just lazy in the sense of cutting corners so shit doesn't make a lot of sense (which does happen a lot), it's actually getting writers of quality who can create an interesting story in the first place

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54914 on: August 1, 2022, 06:31:45 pm »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54915 on: August 1, 2022, 06:52:36 pm »
that was my point

are we saying you can't have an interesting dinosaur movie once dino's have been seen? of course not

it's down to the writing, crafting an interesting story

you could apply the same principle to any movie that has 'monsters' - just cos we've seen the vampire we can't have an interesting movie after the fact?

this is what i mean when i often talk about lazy story writing, it's not just lazy in the sense of cutting corners so shit doesn't make a lot of sense (which does happen a lot), it's actually getting writers of quality who can create an interesting story in the first place

I would personally blame audiences more than writers.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54916 on: August 1, 2022, 07:08:01 pm »
unless the script has been butchered by someone else (it happens), i will always blame the writer for a poor script (and conversely praise them for a good one) - it's their work

in what sense are you blaming the audience?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54917 on: August 1, 2022, 07:41:37 pm »
unless the script has been butchered by someone else (it happens), i will always blame the writer for a poor script (and conversely praise them for a good one) - it's their work

in what sense are you blaming the audience?
They produce sequels based off of success of a franchise. Not always, but its usually the norm. If audiences are going to watch a popcorn show, they expect action aplenty and their brains just go limp. I mean, how else can you explain shite like Transformers and Fast and Furious being on what seems like a conveyor belt for the past 15 years or so. They're awful in the writing department, but obviously audiences enjoy them. Now, if you were to take Jurassic Park and maybe slow it down a lot, do what El Lobo suggests and have some interesting back story about the science behind the creation of the park and the dinosaurs, invariably meaning less action and very little dino action, then it wouldn't do nearly as well. The only thing that would prop it up would be the franchise name. People go with what they know. Just look at the Terminator and Aliens series now. They're absolute dogshit, but they keep trying. I seriously doubt a film like the original Alien or Jurassic park would do well at all if they were to be released today for the first time. In summery, having an amazing script is a fantastic thing for people who love slow paced and intelligent story telling. But when it comes to the mainstream modern cinema, it doesn't go down too well. At least not when the film costs about half a billion to make.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54918 on: August 2, 2022, 03:40:40 am »
i get your point, it's what i suspected you were suggesting, i just wanted to make sure

i agree that is generally the case with franchise movies

what i disagree with, is that they have to be that way

Aliens is a classic example of what TipTopKop pointed out earlier, yet i'd argue it's a great movie. At the time it's what we were expecting from Cameron - more/bigger/badder aliens - but it had a good script, great characters/cast and a good storyline. I prefer Alien but Aliens is no franchise cash-in imo, Cameron made a fucking good movie.

Similarly, Terminator, all the above applies to that movie too and again I prefer Terminator but the sequel is a quality movie with a good script generally (don't get me started on the end scene  ;D), good characters/cast, well made.

So my point is just because something is a sequel (or further seasons in TV) is not an excuse for poor writing and badly made films/shows - you can even follow up with bigger badder more-more-more if that's what the studio is calling for, but you can still make a good movie. And im not going to blame the audience if it's not.

Take Picard, season 2 especially - i dont blame trekkies for that, that is 100% on the fuckers that made it. They went with a terrible script in every way possible and did an incredibly shoddy job cutting corners all over the place till it became laughable.

Cos im not in total agreement either that audiences wouldn't take a more 'cerebral', for want of a better expression, film for something like Jurassic - you dont even have to take out the presence of the dino's, you just need a good fucking script, an interesting story.

My whole gripe is that the standards in writing seems to have plummeted in general in the genres i like to watch, whether it's studio heads getting in the way or some other shit im too ignorant to know about, the bottom line is it comes across as yeah we've cut corners but this is it, like it or lump it.

A recent breath of fresh air was Arcane - what a fantastic show, in every way - visually stunning, great characterisation, a compelling story, good fucking writing from dialogue and story to no cutting fucking corners. And as far as im aware it was received very well across the board. Attack on Titan another great show and has maintained a high standard over multiple seasons (not easy). So there's no excuse, it's not an audience thing per se, that's just letting studios off for churning out shite when the talent is out there to make quality products.

Sure the brain dead shit we'll always have and some, maybe lots, of people want it - that has always been the case with cinema, there's nothing new there. And each to their own for those that like that shit.

But for the love of fucking god can we get back to fully fleshed out scripts with no corner cutting in movies/shows where it's required.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54919 on: August 2, 2022, 03:53:50 am »
Watched The Parralax View last night. A proper 70s JFK assassination conspiracy/paranoia fest. The story obviously can be a bit silly for some (I am not big into conspiracies) but the film does well to pull you in and make you feel the paranoia. The brainwashing montage was genuinely creepy and brilliant.

The cinematography was in general amazing. In a weird way, almost prefer The Parralax View to All the Presidents Men (which I love too).