Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3501633 times)

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #54760 on: June 7, 2022, 02:32:13 pm »
  Struggling to think of another film that's so bad, yet so good to watch.  ( Even I saw huge plot holes in maverick).  Possibly terminator 2.

off topic but T2 is a great film

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54761 on: June 7, 2022, 03:14:40 pm »
In no way is Maverick a 'bad film'.  Granted it's no 8 hour Bela Tarr examination on the meaning of life, but it's nigh on the perfect blockbuster, resurrected cinema and basically cheered everyone the fuck up after two years of utter shite.  I won't be at all surprised if it gets a best picture nod next year and, despite me normally giving these sort of films a wide swerve, I'll be cheering it on all the way.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54762 on: June 7, 2022, 03:59:26 pm »
Think it could easily get a load of nominations similar to Mad Max: Fury Road a few years ago.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54763 on: June 7, 2022, 04:08:55 pm »
Think it could easily get a load of nominations similar to Mad Max: Fury Road a few years ago.

Yep, probably won't get nominated for any acting or screenplay awards, but with ten films, it'll get a best picture nod and plenty of technical ones.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #54764 on: June 7, 2022, 05:14:17 pm »
The new Predator film looks descent suprised it's being released straight to streaming.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/Wbf_J1Id9_o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/Wbf_J1Id9_o</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54765 on: June 7, 2022, 05:39:15 pm »
A director with one feature credit and an unknown cast plus the poor critical reaction to The Predator, it's not that surprising.  Prey was written a while back (it was called Skull) but there was a rights issue, the original Predator writers tried to reclaim the rights (authors can terminate ownership transfers after 35 years). 

The script is actually quite good, closer to the first Predator than the iffy sequels.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54766 on: June 7, 2022, 05:45:16 pm »
A director with one feature credit and an unknown cast plus the poor critical reaction to The Predator, it's not that surprising.  Prey was written a while back (it was called Skull) but there was a rights issue, the original Predator writers tried to reclaim the rights (authors can terminate ownership transfers after 35 years). 

The script is actually quite good, closer to the first Predator than the iffy sequels.

I recognised the lead actress from Legion, but yeah other than it's pretty threadbare.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54767 on: June 7, 2022, 07:57:40 pm »
Okay, they're making a sequel to Face/Off which could be...interesting.  Adam Wingard directing who is a decent genre director, he's also hoping to get Cage involved.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #54768 on: June 7, 2022, 08:30:39 pm »
I recognised the lead actress from Legion, but yeah other than it's pretty threadbare.
Oh that's who she is. Thanks for that.

Legion Season 1 was great, pity it fell off a cliff after that.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54769 on: June 7, 2022, 09:45:50 pm »
Has anyone else watched We Own This City? From the guys who did The Wire, with lots of actors from it too. Really strong Wire vibe off it too. I found it really good, gritty. It's based on a true story. The fella from The Walking Dead is lead actor, Jon Bernathal. The trailer will hook you, no doubt.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig9BcW7gXvE&ab_channel=HBO
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54770 on: June 7, 2022, 10:04:42 pm »
Has anyone else watched We Own This City? From the guys who did The Wire, with lots of actors from it too. Really strong Wire vibe off it too. I found it really good, gritty. It's based on a true story. The fella from The Walking Dead is lead actor, Jon Bernathal. The trailer will hook you, no doubt.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig9BcW7gXvE&ab_channel=HBO

Currently watching it now, great stuff, TV show though mate.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #54771 on: June 7, 2022, 10:05:07 pm »
Wow Everything Everywhere All at Once what a totally brillant film and by miles the best multi verse film.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54772 on: June 7, 2022, 10:14:56 pm »
Currently watching it now, great stuff, TV show though mate.

Yeah just realised I'm in wrong thread!
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54773 on: June 7, 2022, 11:12:23 pm »
Wow Everything Everywhere All at Once what a totally brillant film and by miles the best multi verse film.

The sausage finger stuff disgusted me more than anything in The Boys.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54774 on: June 9, 2022, 04:22:41 pm »
+1 for the Maverick Fan Boy Club.

Barely existent plot & cheese levels that would put a Raclette convention to shame but honestly, who cares. The flight sequences are absolutely stunning and I thought Cruise was excellent. Even though nearly every outcome was foreseeable, it's one of those films that get's away with it, mainly cos they nail it as well. Listened to a Kermode review post watch and found myself in complete agreement on what he was saying there. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's just perfectly done. Sorely tempted to see it again before the big screen run is over.

Spoiler
I defy anyone not to grin like an idiot when he steals the plane and smashes the trial run. The scene with Val Kilmer was genuinely emotional and carried real weight, the relationships with Rooster and Jennifer Connelly (gorgeous by the way, sorry that's so reductive) all completely believable.

And again, the flight scenes. just spectacular
[close]

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54775 on: June 10, 2022, 12:28:36 am »
What’s great about Top Gun, and Cruise’s films in general, is that those shots of him and the cast in the jets with their faces being squashed by G force, it’s all real not CGI.

He had them training for three months working up from small prop planes to actual F-18s, so they weren’t throwing up on set when it came to filming.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54776 on: June 11, 2022, 09:31:02 pm »
haven't watched the new top gun but i did watch a movie about iceman. Not the fighter pilot but a film called Iceman set thousands of years ago. good chase movie you'd catch on prime

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JLNtcRLQxeE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JLNtcRLQxeE</a>

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54777 on: June 11, 2022, 10:20:14 pm »
Just watched the first Top Gun and thought it was pretty crap to be honest. Will I enjoy the sequel more? It sounds like it is better from what I’ve read and heard.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #54778 on: June 13, 2022, 09:03:42 am »
Watched Jurassic World: Dominion at the weekend.

Was a little like the last Ghostbusters, proper fan service stuff but fun all the same. Imagine that'll be it now but you never know with Hollywood, and how they'll imagine another way for humans to be trapped with dinosaurs.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54779 on: June 13, 2022, 07:44:15 pm »
Watched Jurassic World: Dominion at the weekend.

Was a little like the last Ghostbusters, proper fan service stuff but fun all the same. Imagine that'll be it now but you never know with Hollywood, and how they'll imagine another way for humans to be trapped with dinosaurs.

Yeah agreed.

I was disappointed that the film just ended up back on another Island that they had to escape yet again. I was hoping it was all about dinosaurs in the real world alongside humans.

Glad I only watched a dodgy stream.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #54780 on: June 13, 2022, 09:11:18 pm »
Probably in the minority here but I haven’t enjoyed a Jurassic Park movie since the first one.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #54781 on: June 13, 2022, 09:15:55 pm »
I enjoyed the first half of Lost World, more than the first half probably. Basically until they brought the T-Rex back on the ship.

Even then there were things to hate, gymnastics girl  :butt

Rest have all been shite though.
AHA!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #54782 on: June 13, 2022, 09:16:19 pm »
They are making Paddington 3 Paddington in Peru.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/paddington-3-peru-1235161582/

New director. Perhaps the hardest job in cinema.  Following the perfect film.

A little worried, sending people on holiday is a common (and often second rate) film macguffin
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54783 on: June 16, 2022, 01:21:09 pm »
Margot Robbie as Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken is perfect casting.

Will be watching.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54784 on: June 16, 2022, 01:33:44 pm »
Margot Robbie as Barbie

Will be watching.

Same
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54785 on: June 16, 2022, 01:55:09 pm »
Margot Robbie as Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken is perfect casting.

Will be watching.

Dont think most people pictured Ken to be over 40.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54786 on: June 16, 2022, 05:46:34 pm »
Dont think most people pictured Ken to be over 40.

Ken looks 45 out of the box.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #54787 on: June 17, 2022, 10:09:02 am »
Dashcam....WTF...anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euQq6DFyudM

Latest from Blumhouse horror, found footage film but its....fked up is an understatement
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #54788 on: June 17, 2022, 01:48:20 pm »
Dashcam....WTF...anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euQq6DFyudM

Latest from Blumhouse horror, found footage film but its....fked up is an understatement

I watched it for like an hour then turned it off as the camera work made me want to throw up.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54789 on: June 17, 2022, 04:10:22 pm »
Shiva Baby is an absolute gem.  An excruciating black comedy, like properly wince inducing.  Basically, a young Jewish girl (late teens, early 20s) earns money by 'babysitting', 'babysitting' in her little world isn't a million miles away from prostitution.  Her parents think she's looking for something to do after college and a bit aimless.  Then her regular 'John' turns up at a shiva she's attending (with her parents, extended family, friends and a girl she may, or may not be in a relationship with).  What follows is really, really tough to watch in an absolutely hilarious way.

It's brilliantly written and the performances are just absolutely nailed down.

I think it came out last year, so it won't make the best of 2022 or anything, but it's superb.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #54790 on: June 18, 2022, 04:45:46 pm »
Do you need to have seen the first Top Gun to watch the Maverick one?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #54791 on: June 18, 2022, 06:24:28 pm »

Is that an admission? Ciara never watched Top Gun?

:o

The horror. the horror... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #54792 on: June 18, 2022, 10:19:55 pm »
There's a lot of fan service and callbacks in the first half of the movie, and by a lot, I mean a fucking lot. But I don't think it's necessary to watch the first one to understand anything about the plot or the characters in Maverick, but it might increase your enjoyment of those little tidbits if you're a fan of the first one, which I wasn't, so I find them more annoying than anything.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #54793 on: June 18, 2022, 10:23:58 pm »
Shiva Baby is an absolute gem.  An excruciating black comedy, like properly wince inducing.  Basically, a young Jewish girl (late teens, early 20s) earns money by 'babysitting', 'babysitting' in her little world isn't a million miles away from prostitution.  Her parents think she's looking for something to do after college and a bit aimless.  Then her regular 'John' turns up at a shiva she's attending (with her parents, extended family, friends and a girl she may, or may not be in a relationship with).  What follows is really, really tough to watch in an absolutely hilarious way.

It's brilliantly written and the performances are just absolutely nailed down.

I think it came out last year, so it won't make the best of 2022 or anything, but it's superb.
Yeah, it's really good. It's one of those movies that are impossible to enjoy while you're watching it, because everything, from how is shot to the sound design, is done to make the viewer extremely uncomfortable. But it does it really effectively, and the performances are great.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54794 on: June 18, 2022, 10:25:16 pm »

You’ll miss out on a fair bit if you haven’t seen the first but it’s not essential story wise, it kinda hammers home the links to Top Gun.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #54795 on: June 19, 2022, 12:37:37 am »
Just watched Ghostbusters Afterlife. Brilliant, funny, nostalgic. Loved it. Not one bit I didn’t like

Edit: apart from the final post credits scene which looked like it set it up for a sequel. Hope they leave it, was a good ending in my view. No need for more
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 01:01:21 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #54796 on: June 19, 2022, 08:45:10 am »
Finally caught up with this and it is indeed a cracking film. Nobody meets Matrix meets Sausage Party with a little Jackie Chan thrown in for good measure.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54797 on: June 20, 2022, 08:51:59 pm »
Saw Lightyear

Me and the missus loved it

Cat stole the show :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #54798 on: June 20, 2022, 09:28:45 pm »
Rewatched slumdog millionaire tonight.

A perfect film.  You couldn’t make better. 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #54799 on: June 20, 2022, 11:19:51 pm »
Thanks for the responses on Top Gun! Ended up watching Boiling Point - had no idea that was all filmed in what looked like 1 take!?