Author Topic: Arne Slot confirmed  (Read 92096 times)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Arne Slot confirmed
« Reply #320 on: May 22, 2024, 07:26:01 am »
I wonder if anyone is going to respond to this point.
Well lets not at the moment. Why encourage a negative discussion? Lets just see what happens, give the bloke his chance and observe accordingly.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: May 22, 2024, 07:34:45 am »

I did and a few others and all pointed out we have a structure in place that won't allow it. As I said, if Ten Hag was appointed here, no way on this earth is he allowed to sign Onana, Antony, Casemiro, Mount,Eriksen, etc etc
Jurgen YNWA

Offline KC7

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: May 22, 2024, 07:47:05 am »
I think Ten Hag has caused people to forget just how good most of the Dutch are at speaking English. Slot's English is excellent -- not even close to being something to worry about.

Slot's English is excellent, but (as Dutch folk who have analysed them said) unlike Ten Hag and many other non native speakers who learned the language he also understands English in how it's used. So while Tan Hag is robotic and devoid of any personality when he speaks it, Slot is at total ease in being able to converse in it like a native speaker.

That jovial back and forth Slot had with that Sky reporter was the first thing I seen of him after he was named as a the prime candidate which totally put my mind at ease. Think most of us had dread when he was announced so had to hear him speak as there were concerns there with communication as well as the forthright Dutch manner, but hearing him dispelled those concerns.

We all know that not being able to communicate takes away so much of a manager's capabilities. Capello for instance, clearly an elite coach but with England he was no better than Eddie Howe would have been. That was not the Capello of Milan, or even Madrid. The only thing that was the same was the name. With Slot we will be getting the same personality that he was in Holland.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: May 22, 2024, 07:54:10 am »
Are people really analysing this guy's language skills now, and fretting over it? Bloody hell.

Seems to me that Slot's English is far better than Jurgen's was when he first arrived, and Jurgen managed just fine. Slot will probably go the Jan Molby route and have a scouse accent by the end of next season. (or is it the McClaren route now?) ;D

People really need to chill out. Slot's English skills should be the least of everybody's concerns. It's his body language y'all should be paying attention to.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #324 on: May 22, 2024, 08:03:08 am »
Someone needs to ask him about the penultimate pre-season friendly ASAP.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: May 22, 2024, 08:45:32 am »
https://x.com/slxtyslx/status/1790767321524346907?s=46&t=0-c-q6ANPH_2yomP8PeB9Q

His finest moment with the language, for mine.

Loved this one too

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OjDjboF2iw4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OjDjboF2iw4</a>
Jurgen YNWA

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: May 22, 2024, 08:51:57 am »
Slot's English is excellent, but (as Dutch folk who have analysed them said) unlike Ten Hag and many other non native speakers who learned the language he also understands English in how it's used. So while Tan Hag is robotic and devoid of any personality when he speaks it, Slot is at total ease in being able to converse in it like a native speaker.

I don't think Ten Hag is robotic and devoid of any personality in English only, that's just the way he is. Plenty who knew him prior to joining United warned that he didn't have the personality for it.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #327 on: May 22, 2024, 08:59:24 am »
I don't think Ten Hag is robotic and devoid of any personality in English only, that's just the way he is. Plenty who knew him prior to joining United warned that he didn't have the personality for it.
I am from the Netherlands myself and the reason why Ten Hag's English is so different is because he comes from ''Twente''. I come from the same region as Ten Hag. That is a special region that has a very strong accent when they speak Dutch, let alone English. And you really notice that accent when Ten Hag speaks English.

Slot comes from a completely different environment where they do not have an accent, which is why his English is very different.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #328 on: May 22, 2024, 09:04:56 am »
I am from the Netherlands myself and the reason why Ten Hag's English is so different is because he comes from ''Twente''. I come from the same region as Ten Hag. That is a special region that has a very strong accent when they speak Dutch, let alone English. And you really notice that accent when Ten Hag speaks English.

Slot comes from a completely different environment where they do not have an accent, which is why his English is very different.

Bit like Kenny Dalglish then?  ;D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #329 on: May 22, 2024, 09:22:27 am »
Well lets not at the moment. Why encourage a negative discussion? Lets just see what happens, give the bloke his chance and observe accordingly.

I thought he was taking the piss  :lmao.
It's what happens when you don't read back a few pages before posting
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: May 22, 2024, 09:29:57 am »
Yeah but it is funny though that even despite that continental approach they forgot to change the assistant, in that image anyway. In leverkusen for example Alonso is head coach and his assistant is the assistant coach.

Not a big deal, just a bit amusing. Im calling him the manager anyway, the head coach thing can fuck off.

I'm assuming it wasn't actually the club that wrote that chart considering the spelling mistakes.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: May 22, 2024, 10:12:57 am »
I'm assuming it wasn't actually the club that wrote that chart considering the spelling mistakes.

Yeah, dont think the club are ever revealing a structure like that anyway.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: May 22, 2024, 10:24:05 am »
The Dutch know English grammar better than native speakers.

The Dutch know my grandma?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #333 on: May 22, 2024, 10:44:12 am »
Go right ahead ...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: May 22, 2024, 10:50:51 am »

I'll give it a go. He's been given the title "head coach". For better or for worse, the man sitting in the dugout at Liverpool is no longer the guy making calls when it comes to who we target in the transfer market.

Edwards and his gang will listen to Slot of course - like if he says he really likes player X from Feyenoord or Eredivisie who he worked, but they won't just bring the player in on Slot's word IMO.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: May 22, 2024, 10:55:21 am »
The reason we have the whole new system and we've asked him to accept the title of head coach is so that doesn't happen. I think it's pretty obvious... Maybe if he is super successful then like Klopp he will have more of an influence in transfers,  but we will be in a pretty good position if we get to that point.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 10:57:06 am by B0151? »

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2024, 11:01:58 am »
Gotta love some of the negative comments here, especially ones based on heresay or poor stereotypes based on where he is from.

Don't remember too many successful German managers in the Prem before Jurgen (or since). Don't remember too many successful Spanish managers before Rafa for that matter.

The only concern is how Arne will handle the step up in the opposition and deal with bigger players and their egos. Its obvious, nobody is being smart or insightful by pointing this out.

The real answer to the above should be to watch Jurgen's speech on Sunday. Then watch it again, listening to every word.

If you can't or don't understand what he said then maybe the last 9 years didn't mean that much to you and your attitude is to just sit there and ask "where's the success I want you to give me?"
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #337 on: May 22, 2024, 11:02:53 am »
I'll give it a go. He's been given the title "head coach". For better or for worse, the man sitting in the dugout at Liverpool is no longer the guy making calls when it comes to who we target in the transfer market.

Edwards and his gang will listen to Slot of course - like if he says he really likes player X from Feyenoord or Eredivisie who he worked, but they won't just bring the player in on Slot's word IMO.
And I think that's very good. I think transfers will work better if several people look at it and compare everything. Otherwise you will get Ten Hag situations like Anthony Onana and Martinez.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2024, 11:06:16 am »
WE ARE ARNE'S LOT!

Ight imma head out.

Offline TheMan

• Main Stander
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2024, 12:02:29 pm »
what is the minimum viable product for next season?

CL qualification?

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2024, 12:07:30 pm »

I did and a few others and all pointed out we have a structure in place that won't allow it. As I said, if Ten Hag was appointed here, no way on this earth is he allowed to sign Onana, Antony, Casemiro, Mount,Eriksen, etc etc

Sorry chaps, it was a slightly uncharitable post designed to poke a bit of fun at DW making a slightly silly point and then not respond to the 23 posts that explained why it was slightly silly.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2024, 12:08:00 pm »

CL qualification?

As far as the league goes, and considering City and Arsenal will probably hit similar points total themselves again, I think we should be looking to do the same as we have this season. Obviously we should be looking to win it like but for me to not be in and around there towards the end as we did this season would be disappointing. Of course to replace Klopp quality wise is basically impossible but there's tweaks we can make in our game to improve us which should be aided by some quality new arrivals in the summer.

Champions League qualification is what it is and it's not particularly what I dream of but we have to do it, let's hope if we can't win the league we can just qualify comfortably as opposed to scraping for 4th or even 5th now. We can compete in the Champions League too, we would have this season.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2024, 12:08:26 pm »

CL qualification?

For me, it's just progress within the season.

As an example, what's better? A season where we start well but get progressively worse and just about cling on for fourth, or a season where we have some teething issues but get progressively better and end up 5th? The former is obviously better in terms of securing Champions League football, but the latter would give me much more hope going into the following season.

It's why I'd be very worried if I was Tottenham fan at the moment, because despite a semi-decent finishing position, they looked worse at the end of the season than they did at the start, which now just looks like a classic "new manager bounce". Similarly, it's why I cannot believe Pochettino has gone from Chelsea because they did the opposite and had an increasing number of encouraging signs the longer he was there.

Ultimately though we obviously want both - Champions League football and improvement as the season progresses. I'm just saying we can't look at our finishing position as the only measure of success.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2024, 01:27:36 pm »
For me, it's just progress within the season.

As an example, what's better? A season where we start well but get progressively worse and just about cling on for fourth, or a season where we have some teething issues but get progressively better and end up 5th? The former is obviously better in terms of securing Champions League football, but the latter would give me much more hope going into the following season.

It's why I'd be very worried if I was Tottenham fan at the moment, because despite a semi-decent finishing position, they looked worse at the end of the season than they did at the start, which now just looks like a classic "new manager bounce". Similarly, it's why I cannot believe Pochettino has gone from Chelsea because they did the opposite and had an increasing number of encouraging signs the longer he was there.

Ultimately though we obviously want both - Champions League football and improvement as the season progresses. I'm just saying we can't look at our finishing position as the only measure of success.

That's where we were sort of at in 2012/13 - our league position was rubbish, but I'd seen enough since Sturridge and Coutinho had joined in the January to suggest we were going to have some fun the following year.

Granted, I didn't envisage just how much fun, but the signs were all there.

For me, Slot is coming into a good squad, certainly the third best in the division and with a lot of young players to work with and improve. It's a big transition but there's an awful lot of good will here - we're not in the doldrums, we have Champions League football and we've got the tools to continue competing. It's up to him to make it his own now.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: May 22, 2024, 01:45:06 pm »

CL qualification?

• I won't even talk about the title yet
  • 2nd would be over-achievement, at this point (we don't know what the transfer window will bring for us or the top 2, or even if the 115 charges amount to anything)
  • Another 3rd, in his first season, would be very good IMO
  • 4th would be decent and would have no complaints, again considering its his first season
  • 5th is the minimum IMO
  • Below that we'd have re-evaluate

A lot depends on the context. eg if we had a wretched early fixture list, Slot settling in, unlucky with injuries and were say 8th at Christmas but finished strongly to end up 5th then that to me gives a lot more optimism than being top 3 all season and dropping to 5th next April. Also a deep cup run or even a win is worth a lot. And we might have more player turnover this summer than in later ones - the Trent, VVD and Salah situations need sorting out and I would be quite surprised if all 3 are still here in September.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #345 on: May 22, 2024, 02:15:09 pm »
I think the worry for me is he will bring in ordinary Dutch players (like Ten Hag did) and they fail to make the step-up. A lot of money could end up wasted on Europa League standard players (which is about where Feyenoord are)
I don't think that will be a problem- at least not from what I can see.
I also think- not saying you do, but our fanbase hasn't transitioned to the modern football-structural paradigm yet- thinking within this modern structure and as a consequence, they mistake the role Ten-Hag fulfills and what Slot would fulfill.

United made the mistake of appointing Ten-Hag as manager, whereas we've appointed Arne as Head Coach. From what I gather, Ten-Hag's misfortune at United has a lot to do with the wide area of responsibilities he is expected to attend to, which is why he's basically "unraveled"

There is a difference in "powers", responibilities, accountabilities etc.. between the two, a fact which I'm sure you are aware of; and according to my understanding, Slot's not going to burdened with much beyond his ability to coach.

This would also mean that he will have limited input - as one part of the team, when it comes to "procurement". Based on our recent history, that's a good thing.
We have a well-defined profile of player- whether for the first team, or the academy, driven by analytics- and that restricts the risks in player acquisition.

I think we're just going to go ahead in that dept as merrily as we've been doing since 2015. In the end, we will only sit with players that fit our system exactly.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #346 on: May 22, 2024, 02:16:05 pm »

CL qualification?

Evidence of a discernible style of play as the season progresses. Ideally more defensive solidity without losing too much in attack.

Given the current squad and its level of ability then if we do the above then there’ll be little concern about league position.

Personally I think 1st 12-18 months are more about observing progress in implementation of tactical ideas. We need to see the vision of what the finished article might look like. We saw that with Klopp even if the results and league position weren’t always great in 1st 18 months. Starting point is better for Slot so I see alignment of a good league position and implementing tactical ideas as being inclusive.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: May 22, 2024, 02:39:04 pm »
So many things can happen. You just can't say. In Klopp's first season we were pretty crap in the league all season but got to 2 finals and it was obviously a process to new style and needed time and players coming in.

We are in much stronger position now but it's still a big change as well as potential variables like important players leaving.

One thing I know is for a big club we are pretty damn patient so j really do think he will get the time and support from the fans and if we can see what he's trying to do and isn't a complete joker he should be OK.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #348 on: May 22, 2024, 02:40:38 pm »
I want to end the season thinking, this is working, everyone at the club is harmonious in the project and going on an upward trajectory. I want to be positive about the next season. As long as this happens I don’t care what position we finish in.

I think this will be a difficult ‘finding our feet’ season with ups and downs.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: May 22, 2024, 03:46:11 pm »
So many things can happen. You just can't say. In Klopp's first season we were pretty crap in the league all season but got to 2 finals and it was obviously a process to new style and needed time and players coming in.

We are in much stronger position now but it's still a big change as well as potential variables like important players leaving.

One thing I know is for a big club we are pretty damn patient so j really do think he will get the time and support from the fans and if we can see what he's trying to do and isn't a complete joker he should be OK.

We were shit though to be fair, he worked miracles. Llallana said in one vid I saw that he felt he didn't belong here, he seemed to totally doubt himself and Jurgen fixed that. We were a pretty much broken club, how Kloppo made two finals I'll never know.

Slot is coming into a club where the players all know they belong here and we've got a set way of playing. All reports say Slot plays a similar style, so its not like when Klopp came in and we needed a full rebuild, we're at that tweaking stage. It'll likely take a few months to get the defending sorted, that's a priority and speed the play up, releasing the forwards quicker and making use of their pace. Slot himself will likely think he's going to hit the ground running and start off on the front foot.

If it does take time though, so long as we aren't dogshit, he "should" get the support that every Liverpool manager is entitled to - the Twatter trolls etc can get to fuck if they start on.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #350 on: May 22, 2024, 04:09:11 pm »

What can be said?

- No I don’t think he will.

- Yes that’s a worry, it’s all going to go to shit.

We don’t really know who he may want to bring in. He may not get that much of a say in things anyway with the new structure which is maybe designed to stop something like Rodgers bringing in Borini type situations. Time will tell, but not going to worry about that just yet.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: May 22, 2024, 04:10:39 pm »

CL qualification?

Wtf!!  Minimum viable product??

It's football FFS not some tradable commodity on the FTSE 🤦

I'll add to this.

I've got the summer off but will watch the euros.

Looking forward to pre season games then the new season starting but what happens during the following 9mths is anybody's guess.

Hopefully we'll all have some fun, win some games, have a great CL and end the season on a high.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 04:14:49 pm by reddebs »

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #352 on: May 22, 2024, 04:14:10 pm »
What can be said?

- No I don’t think he will.

- Yes that’s a worry, it’s all going to go to shit.

We don’t really know who he may want to bring in. He may not get that much of a say in things anyway with the new structure which is maybe designed to stop something like Rodgers bringing in Borini type situations. Time will tell, but not going to worry about that just yet.
Awww .. Borini.
Just his lack of pace. Could've been much more successful if not for that.

Even Yago. I think had he been here when Klopp arrived, he and Firmino would've shared the false 9.
Lad had heart(and his corners.. wow!)
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #353 on: May 22, 2024, 05:21:27 pm »
I watched a video of the 77th minute walk out recently and the comments below were pretty damning of the team. Some people questioning Klopp’s position. I forgot it took a little while to turn things round. It was pretty split up until the Mane goal against Arsenal what was that like 1 and a half years in?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: May 22, 2024, 05:32:11 pm »
I watched a video of the 77th minute walk out recently and the comments below were pretty damning of the team. Some people questioning Klopp’s position. I forgot it took a little while to turn things round. It was pretty split up until the Mane goal against Arsenal what was that like 1 and a half years in?

There was a lot of doubters I remember, our kid and one of my mates were in that camp, had loads of disagreements with him and royally took the piss out of both of them for a bit afterwards :D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: May 22, 2024, 06:32:04 pm »
We were a pretty much broken club

I think that's massively overstating it.  Klopp arrived in October 15, the 13/14 season was our best since we won the league.  Our squad was pretty decent too.  The fans lost faith in Brendan Rodgers pretty quickly and I get it, he is a very odd man and not a great fit for us but I don't think we were broken at all.  Well run off the pitch, plans to expand the ground, decent squad... we'd just had a pretty average 18 months and were feeling sorry for ourselves.  Klopp walked into a side who played attacking football and many of the players who already fitted his style, albeit with some areas of weakness.

Slot has the advantage of a much better squad, but much higher expectations too.  No one here doubts this team now, to be honest, we've just got doubts on him.  He just needs some patience, and I hope he gets it.  Klopp felt the perfect fit, and I can't imagine Liverpool without him at the moment but Paisley, Shankly, Benitez, Houllier, Klopp - all absolutely adored, but each very different personalities.

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #356 on: May 22, 2024, 06:38:58 pm »
good news for slot that so many players have been called up

he will be able to see more players rather than having to wait until pre-season

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #357 on: May 22, 2024, 07:36:50 pm »
Slot has the advantage of a much better squad, but much higher expectations too.  No one here doubts this team now, to be honest, we've just got doubts on him.  He just needs some patience, and I hope he gets it.  Klopp felt the perfect fit, and I can't imagine Liverpool without him at the moment but Paisley, Shankly, Benitez, Houllier, Klopp - all absolutely adored, but each very different personalities.
[/quote]

Aye, well said.

Lets hope in 2-3 years time we'll be wanting to add Slot to that list.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #358 on: May 22, 2024, 07:45:11 pm »

That was about February 2016, so he’d only been in charge about 4 months. We’d had some big wins like City and Chelsea away and some games where we still looked soft like West Ham away. Surely people weren’t questioning too much at that point? We finished 8th that season but played a complete second string for about 4 league games around the Europa League knockout stages. Had we been fully focussed on the league we’d probably have come about 5th or 6th.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: May 22, 2024, 07:54:43 pm »
I think that's massively overstating it.  Klopp arrived in October 15, the 13/14 season was our best since we won the league.  Our squad was pretty decent too.  The fans lost faith in Brendan Rodgers pretty quickly and I get it, he is a very odd man and not a great fit for us but I don't think we were broken at all.  Well run off the pitch, plans to expand the ground, decent squad... we'd just had a pretty average 18 months and were feeling sorry for ourselves.  Klopp walked into a side who played attacking football and many of the players who already fitted his style, albeit with some areas of weakness.

Agree we weren't a broken club and well run off the pitch, but the team kind of was. After 13/14, things quickly fell apart, the transfer window was bad after selling Suarez and there seemed to be a huge disconnect between Rodgers and the club, which led to some poor signings. Rodgers also didn't seem to trust himself, constantly changing the team and the formation which led to no particular style. Do agree, it helped that when Klopp arrived, we had a number of players he could work with (mainly those signed by transfer team, although not all) which helped but it still took a while for everything to work, with us finishing 8th that season and confirming top 4 on the final day the season after.

Yeah agree with this for the most part, though I think a few still doubt the team. But we're in a much healthier place on the pitch than when Klopp arrived.

Slot's just needs to be himself. Despite my comments above, I've no issue with Rodgers (it's shame we never won the league in 2014, we were brilliant that season) but those other managers are for the most part loved. Hopefully Slot will be added to that list.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.