Author Topic: EL: Liv 0 vs 3 Atal (1st leg) Scamacca 39’ 59’ Pastalic c83’  (Read 30052 times)

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: EL: Liv 0 vs 3 Atal (1st leg) Scamacca 39’ 59’ Pastalic c83’
« Reply #760 on: April 12, 2024, 12:11:33 am »
I mean I’m not sure about us putting four goals past anyone at the moment, like.

We have enough shots every match to do it. We just need to get them on target for once...

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #761 on: April 12, 2024, 12:13:07 am »
One of the best man marking displays I've ever seen.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #762 on: April 12, 2024, 12:16:05 am »
We essentially played a second string team tonight, against a Europa-level team from an inferior league. I'll understand fully if we do the same in the return, but this is a side that is more than capable of opening the floodgates home or away. No way in HELL this tie is done.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #763 on: April 12, 2024, 12:17:20 am »
If Atalanta can beat us by three goals at Anfield then we can beat them by three away.
I felt we were complacent tonight, and it cost us. I also wonder if Atalanta might just think they've got the job done now. It's possible complacency could also undermine them at their place.

Will we do it? I really don't know.

Can we do it? Absolutely yes.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: April 12, 2024, 12:19:16 am »
We essentially played a second string team tonight, against a Europa-level team from an inferior league. I'll understand fully if we do the same in the return, but this is a side that is more than capable of opening the floodgates home or away. No way in HELL this tie is done.

Part of the problem is when we did field what was close to a full strength side we seemed to look even worse

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: April 12, 2024, 12:26:49 am »

Couldn't watch the game just woke up and checked livescore and had to check another site to make sure the result is correct. That's a lesson for us all talking about how the draw is easy and I myself on the pre match thread saying 4-0 please, I feel embarrassed it's like a slap on the face

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #766 on: April 12, 2024, 12:28:23 am »

Couldn't watch the game just woke up and checked livescore and had to check another site to make sure the result is correct. That's a lesson for us all talking about how the draw is easy and I myself on the pre match thread saying 4-0 please, I feel embarrassed it's like a slap on the face

Probably need to listen to YNWA
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: April 12, 2024, 12:56:04 am »
Part of the problem is when we did field what was close to a full strength side we seemed to look even worse

All 3 of the immediate subs have only come back from injury in the last 2+ weeks, and Jota looked good on his cameo.

What I think we have missed without Trent is the killer pass or put ball - now the defenders are able to push onto our midfield and press up on our attackers as we are missing the lock pick.

Ideally he can start next Thursday and give us an hour to see what we can do.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: April 12, 2024, 01:00:35 am »
We played a weakened team. And you can't weaken yourself in any euro quarter final. Lacking clinical scoring since United. Here we are now. Palace next? On paper we should do them. But you don't play on paper. Maybe diogo will start and we'll hammer them. Please God.

Offline jj2005

• Kemlynite
« Reply #769 on: April 12, 2024, 01:01:14 am »
It is in our hands, we just need to better Arsenal's results by 1.29 goals per game. ;D

More likely, need to better Arsenal's results by 0.14 points per game.

Offline Jimmy Raggatip

• Boys Pen
« Reply #770 on: April 12, 2024, 01:08:19 am »
Really disappointed in this result and what seems to be a lack of respect shown to a good opponent

Not least because I had a guaranteed ticket to the semi home leg as my mate who's a ST holder is on a stag do  :wanker

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #771 on: April 12, 2024, 01:18:44 am »
This type of result has been coming for a while to be honest, just a shame it had to be at Anfield.
Haven't been good enough for a while now.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #772 on: April 12, 2024, 01:26:19 am »
That's the trouble with Germans, too many fairy tales. We all believed they would come true naturally, now we have to make it happen.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline ic843

• Choose Everton
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cally's heroes
« Reply #773 on: April 12, 2024, 01:30:24 am »
KOP 1906 Out

Klopp was stabbed through the heart with a flagpole and he didn’t deserve it
Taylor Report 278 ""It is fair to say that over many years the South Yorkshire Police have given excellent service to the public...Unforunately, their policing on April 15 broke down in the ways described, and although there were other causes, the main reason for the disaster was the failure of police control."
BOYCOTT THE S*N

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #774 on: April 12, 2024, 02:04:50 am »
Shocking performance that. Worst I’ve seen us under Jurgen.  We were lucky it was only 3.  Better see a big reaction on Sunday. 

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #775 on: April 12, 2024, 02:30:39 am »
My take is... Our players are trying to orchestrate one of the greatest comebacks in Europa League.

I still believe our players are going to make in Bergamo, Lombardy.

When you are PLAYING FOR Liverpool and if you are one of the FANS OF Liverpool, a thing that you should get, understand and fathom is our DNA.

Our comeback pedigree in European fotball is unparalleled, emotionally embedded and with many teams coming up against the Mighty Reds knowing fully well that going ahead in a match doesn't mean much.

Fucking hell, if I am a poor bastard who is too invested, emotionally attached and has a desire to win, then it should mean much more to our millionaire players who have been strolling around daily at Kirkby and Anfield seeing Klopp everyday.

Fucking hell, be motivated, lads here!! Players too especially. They should have at least a self respect playing for one of the greatest football clubs on the planet.

Hardwork, effort and entertain. Just give us poor fans those things.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: April 12, 2024, 02:43:26 am »
I'm only now getting to watch the highlights. That second goal is a joke. What are they doing? That is embarrassingly bad.
Konate is clearly not fit. Walking out there.

The third is even worse.  :butt

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: April 12, 2024, 03:06:40 am »
Gasperini's beaten us twice at Anfield now. Who's the last manager to have done that?

Ancelotti probably (Real last year, Everton during 20/21).
King Kenny.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #778 on: April 12, 2024, 03:17:16 am »
Have to bite the bullet on that one. Soundly beaten on the night. Perhaps it was down to complacency of both Jurgen and the team and us too but whatever made us so lacklustre it saw us simply unable to cope with the intensity of their man to man marking and that, together with our ability to finish and/or deliver a final ball/shot having dropped off a cliff in recent weeks, made for a very sobering night indeed.

That said, for me there were still positives amidst the gloom to take from the night, which do give us a chink of optimism for the return leg.

Cody Gakpo particularly in that opening 15 minutes or so was fucking immense. A man seemingly rejuvenated. Despite Atalanta's desperate cynical efforts to stop him, he continually surged past his assailants and had he had someone to work with during that spell could well have tilted the game's outcome in our favour. Alas, not one of his teammates came close to doing so. Likewise Andy Robertson when he came on showed a corresponding ability and initiative. Also, Ibou Konate showed enough to suggest that as the game wore on he was equally determined as the other two to show that no way was he prepared to play second fiddle to his opponents as so many of his other teammates on the night seemed resigned to doing. Likewise again Diaz and Diogo when they came on towards the end.

So, given a Conor Bradley, maybe Trent too plus a few of the others reinvigorated from their night's sluggishness for the huge task facing them, I certainly haven't written off our chance of defying the odds and seeing the real Liverpool who have enchanted us for so much of the season making it to the banks of the Liffey in May. Us cock eyed rose tinted optimists need something to hold onto.  8)

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #779 on: April 12, 2024, 06:18:23 am »
Really reminds me of the 3-0 loss to Watford in the title winning season. Mistakes punished,  chances not taken, defensive line all over the shop and a general lack of ideas going forward in key moments.

Agree with some of the other posters that this one is on Klopp. It was Atalanta’s system that made us suffer and we weren’t prepared for it. Always felt that despite us being favourites for the competition, we’d only win it if we kept our standards up.

I can’t rule us out, anyone would be foolish too, but that is a tough one to take. We need to really get back to being more defensively resolute. A few 1-0s and 2-0s in the league would do us a world of good.

Going over there next week, we need to avoid the temptation to go gung-ho, and need to focus on a clean sheet, whilst chipping away at their lead. 1-0 on 60 minutes is no bad thing. We need to dominate possession, camp in their half, push them right back and pen them in. We’re capable of doing so, but the key then becomes taking our chances.

As bad as we were tonight, we still created enough to score a few. I love Darwin but he’s not on form, and right now, he looks in need of a rest. Having a few games as an impact sub could be a good thing for him. Salah I believe needs more rhythm, he’s come back from injury and just isn’t quite finding the level yet, you could see the same with Jota and Jones yesterday too.

In my opinion, Gakpo has played his way into contention, and I’d start him against Palace. He offers a level of control up top that could help us all the way through the side, including helping to keep a clean sheet.

Szoboszlai, isn’t quite having the same impact, but he’s not miles away, it’s mainly his composure that needs to fall back into place. I’d persist with him, with Elliott as the option off the bench when needed. I don’t think Jones is ready to start yet either. He’s crucial to us when on form now, but he’s not back to his level yet.

The back seven were the ones to really suffer yesterday, I felt. Van Dijk and Mac Allister’s passing was off compared to what we’re used to. Konate too looked out of sorts, and it probably backs up the argument that this was the game for Quansah with Konate better suited to the United game. Gomez had his worst game for ages and Tsimikas looked too timid, when we really needed our full backs to push on an expose the space created behind the Atalanta pressing line, and I think the game would have suited Robbo and Bradley more, from the start. Particularly at home.

I actually felt, the game needed more players who could beat a man too, given the man to man marking operated, so a Gravenberch in midfield may well have suited us better, and I was disappointed to see Elliott off in the first changes, as although he struggled, he seemed more likely to create something than any one bar Gakpo, maybe, in the first half, and Diaz looks a must start for the second leg.

If Trent’s fit too, it becomes a different game, as his eye for a pass, and bravery on the ball would have been well suited to the game.

Overall, despite their breakaways, I felt we shaded the first half, even though you could see we weren’t fully coping with their setup. We weren’t clinical enough and were punished by a rare Kelleher error. Second half, we started bright too, all the subs gave us a momentarily lift, in fact, but it all soon looked disjointed and we ran out of ideas quickly, even though I think persistence with the plan would have paid dividends.

The game ended a mess, and we’ve started to gift teams goals in a way we haven’t been doing so far this season. As bad as the individual errors was the defensive organisation, which was at least partly responsible for each goal. Our offside trap which is usually superb was awful, and it could have cost us on more occasions than it did in the end.

Despite everything, it’s the same issues that are haunting us and part of that is our opponents being clinical whilst we are anything but. We need a massive improvement from Sunday onwards if this season isn’t going to end disappointingly. We need also to start picking a strongest XI and running with it now people are back from injury. There’s only a maximum of 9 games left on this run of one game every 3 days, we need to have consistency and fluency in them and rotating isn’t giving us that. By all means, switch up the side in game, at half time if needed, but we need to find a winning team fast and stick with it.

If we are at our best, this tie isn’t over, but we’ve got a lot of work to do in a week, if we are to reach that level. We go again against Palace and I expect a big response from the players and the crowd.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: April 12, 2024, 06:20:40 am »
i still dont think they are great.
Do think we defend better go full strength we have an outside chance.
We need a response against palace first though

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #781 on: April 12, 2024, 06:34:14 am »
Poor all-around sadly.... we're too easily played through still. The signs were there even in the group stages.

It also appears that the team were as arrogant as most of us posters on here before the game. Put the game to bed, rest players for the 2nd leg etc

And finally the protest. I wish I had time to post before the game.
If you are going to protest about the club, you do not do anything that might affect the team. This should have been a big European night. It should have been klopp's 2nd last one. It might now have been his last.
Calling for a flag ban was wrong. It always was. Anything that reduces the atmosphere of the ground or the occasion influences the team and the tie. Even if it only by a few per cent, it is still wrong. I hope a different avenue can be used in the future.

Remember the Sunderland walk out when we collapsed after 76 minutes.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #782 on: April 12, 2024, 06:44:45 am »

And finally the protest. I wish I had time to post before the game.
If you are going to protest about the club, you do not do anything that might affect the team. This should have been a big European night. It should have been klopp's 2nd last one. It might now have been his last.
Calling for a flag ban was wrong. It always was. Anything that reduces the atmosphere of the ground or the occasion influences the team and the tie. Even if it only by a few per cent, it is still wrong. I hope a different avenue can be used in the future.

The point in bold is ironic isn’t it? That is the point of the protest. These constant rises in ticket prices are always just a few percent, but each time people are priced out and the atmosphere, and therefore the club ends up worse for it. If the atmosphere was worse last night for the flag ban, then it made the point about how important it is.

As much as I want Liverpool to win all the time, this protest is about more than the short term success of the club, and more than Jurgen Klopp, or his send off. The Anfield crowd is a differentiating factor that helps make the club successful, yet it’s being watered down year on year by greed.

You can hear the difference over the last few years. How often would we go this far into a great season and not have a banger of a new song to lift the crowd further? It’s aspects like that, that diminish the impact the crowd can have on the players, which will make us less successful and the owners need to see that their price rises will come round and bite them eventually, earning them less not more. Low ticket prices are a win/win, as long as you’re not focused on the short term.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #783 on: April 12, 2024, 07:01:17 am »
I was in a taxi yesterday bragging about how I had my flights and accommodation sorted for the final. Driver was a red and we both said we would bet our house on Liverpool getting there. He had a mini bus and the ferry booked. I even know Everton fans who were going over for the Dublin Party. Complacency from the fans and the team. Such a shame to see Klopps reign fizzling out…heartbreaking.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 07:12:13 am by Redbonnie »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #784 on: April 12, 2024, 07:06:11 am »
There has been a certain arrogance especially regarding the Europa League. This certain feeling that we would make the final. In life you have to earn things.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: April 12, 2024, 07:08:50 am »
The point in bold is ironic isn’t it? That is the point of the protest. These constant rises in ticket prices are always just a few percent, but each time people are priced out and the atmosphere, and therefore the club ends up worse for it. If the atmosphere was worse last night for the flag ban, then it made the point about how important it is.

As much as I want Liverpool to win all the time, this protest is about more than the short term success of the club, and more than Jurgen Klopp, or his send off. The Anfield crowd is a differentiating factor that helps make the club successful, yet it’s being watered down year on year by greed.

You can hear the difference over the last few years. How often would we go this far into a great season and not have a banger of a new song to lift the crowd further? It’s aspects like that, that diminish the impact the crowd can have on the players, which will make us less successful and the owners need to see that their price rises will come round and bite them eventually, earning them less not more. Low ticket prices are a win/win, as long as you’re not focused on the short term.

Well said. There is an argument to be heard that the flag ban had an impact on the performance on the field, I can’t dispute that.

I’d counter that with the fact that ticket prices are already too high and this has turned a lot of the supporters who would be there week in week out away and have made a difference with or without flags. That’s a bigger impact to our future than one night of no flags and a Europa League. I know we all want to win trophies but we are already in the top 4 and have Champions League football secured next year. There’s never a good time for these type of protests but it has got the message out there loud and clear, the club needs to do things differently in future or it will lose it’s most precious asset, not Jurgen, not trophies but the supporters.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: April 12, 2024, 07:10:30 am »
There has been a certain arrogance especially regarding the Europa League. This certain feeling that we would make the final. In life you have to earn things.

100% fans, coaches, players we fucked this one right up.

Now about how we react, are they men or mice.

Offline Jordellsu

• Kemlynite
« Reply #787 on: April 12, 2024, 07:11:53 am »
If the ticket prices were froze tonights atmosphere would have still happened. Tonight was like most cup games this season, people selling/passing tickets on as they only want the bigger games. Loads of first timers in the kop who just talked all game and took photos and didn't know how to sing. The flags are took down before kickoff anyway. About time the regulars became regular and made the effort at every game, not selected big games.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #788 on: April 12, 2024, 07:36:58 am »
That was literally a template on how to beat us last night. We have way too many players who struggle to play on the half turn and all we done was go backwards and punt the ball up the park. Arsenal caused us similar problems at the emirates by pressing the life out of us and we struggled to play out the back. Endo was shockingly bad at playing on the half turn and kept getting dispossessed.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #789 on: April 12, 2024, 07:37:16 am »
Difficult to know if Klopp will go for it in the second leg or rest players ahead of league games.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: April 12, 2024, 07:38:58 am »
So frustrating because Atalanta absolutely utilised man marking to keep the tie alive. Never in their wildest dreams did they think they would get a 0-3 win.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: April 12, 2024, 07:41:49 am »
So frustrating because Atalanta absolutely utilised man marking to keep the tie alive. Never in their wildest dreams did they think they would get a 0-3 win.

Never seen a team man mark as well as that, they wanted a draw but probably knew we'd make mistakes to give them a few chances. From their point of view it was a perfectly executed plan.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: April 12, 2024, 07:44:25 am »
Never seen a team man mark as well as that, they wanted a draw but probably knew we'd make mistakes to give them a few chances. From their point of view it was a perfectly executed plan.

It will be interesting to see if they do the same again or go for it because they are at home. One goals kills the tie. I mean kill it more than it is already.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: April 12, 2024, 07:46:34 am »
It will be interesting to see if they do the same again or go for it because they are at home. One goals kills the tie. I mean kill it more than it is already.

They'll do exactly the same because it's all they have to do which is why I'm less confident of a spectacular Liverpool European turnaround than ever.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #794 on: April 12, 2024, 07:49:45 am »
Difficult to know if Klopp will go for it in the second leg or rest players ahead of league games.
All depends what happens on Sunday. If we were to win and Arsenal dropped pts, you’d be foolish not to put all your eggs in the league basket. It’s our own fault and even with a full strength 11, there would be a very small chance of turning it around.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: April 12, 2024, 07:51:12 am »
Our issue was our inability to build attacks. This game highlighted massively the flaws in Endo, Konate, Gakpo and Nunez, then in the second half Diaz. If we had Matip and Mac Allister deeper, we could have built play more successfully rather than losing the ball all the time and Kellaher having to loft it.

Also where Mane was amazing was his physicality and ability to hold the ball up and get us up that field. Now we havent got a player who is confident back to goal and strong enough. We also dont have a player that can carry the ball effectively bar Diaz and even that is at fleeting moments.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: April 12, 2024, 07:56:41 am »

It was actually highly risky and man marking to a fault… we just didn’t exploit it. Again, at one point their centre back followed Gakpo to the edge of our box. Do that against a side like City or Arsenal and see what happens. We watched them press and surrender their shape for 90 minutes and no one figured out if we move the ball quicker they’re leaving gaps to exploit in a few passes

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: April 12, 2024, 07:57:40 am »
It was actually highly risky and man marking to a fault… we just didn’t exploit it. Again, at one point their centre back followed Gakpo to the edge of our box. Do that against a side like City or Arsenal and see what happens. We watched them press and surrender their shape for 90 minutes and no one figured out if we move the ball quicker they’re leaving gaps to exploit in a few passes

Yep said yesterday that City win that 10-0. Or maybe 10-3.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #798 on: April 12, 2024, 07:59:32 am »
How's your day in office, lads here?  ;D  Fucking hell.

What a moody Friday.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: April 12, 2024, 08:00:28 am »

We struggled to cope with it but you have to give them credit, they executed it brilliantly. The key is finding and creating space to move the ball quickly but we didn't have a plan for that.