Author Topic: PL: Crystal Palace 1 v 2 Liverpool Mateta 57’ Mo 77’ Elliot 90+1’  (Read 28914 times)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Re: PL: Crystal Palace 1 v 2 Liverpool Mateta 57’ Mo 77’ Elliot 90+1’
« Reply #640 on: December 10, 2023, 01:31:48 pm »
God awful game, deserved nothing from it

But we still managed to get 3 points, and at this time of year that's all that matters
What a moment for Elliott. He was overplayed last season out of necessity but I prefer this role he is currently playing....came on and was just smart with the ball. Something severely lacking on the day
What a finish.
Top of the league!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #641 on: December 10, 2023, 01:33:12 pm »

But we still managed to get 3 points, and at this time of year that's all that matters
What a moment for Elliott. He was overplayed last season out of necessity but I prefer this role he is currently playing....came on and was just smart with the ball. Something severely lacking on the day
What a finish.
Top of the league!

So you think Palace deserved something from it?

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #642 on: December 10, 2023, 01:36:16 pm »
@danielstorey
In their last eight league games alone, Liverpool have scored goals in the 74th, 75th, 76th, 77th, 80th, 87th, 88th, 91st, 94th, 95th and 97th minutes.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #643 on: December 10, 2023, 01:38:41 pm »
@danielstorey
In their last eight league games alone, Liverpool have scored goals in the 74th, 75th, 76th, 77th, 80th, 87th, 88th, 91st, 94th, 95th and 97th minutes.
Stats reveal some amazing details sometimes.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #644 on: December 10, 2023, 01:43:18 pm »
+ Liverpool Echo: "Roy Hodgson hits out at Liverpool win, VAR and football"

Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson was not impressed after Liverpool came from behind to earn Premier League win on Saturday

“The first thing I’d like to say is I don’t want you discussing my mood or how I am or saying I looked exasperated or upset. You can do what you want with what I say. Do me a favour.

“To force us to play with 10 men for the last 15 plus minutes in a game which at that point we thought we dealt with extremely well was a really, really harsh outcome. It was certainly not worthy of what the team had produced.

“I am disillusioned with the game. This game was pretty much what the game is these days. You tell me if that’s right? You should be disillusioned too.”

Ayew was dismissed for a foul on Elliott having earlier in the second half been booked for not allowing Virgil van Dijk to take a free-kick quickly.

And Hodgson said: “You wouldn’t believe how disappointed and upset he is. I’m sure some of you have played football and you know how it is sometimes to play a game where you really do well and exceed expectations and then at the end of it, due to the circumstances which controlled this game, you end up losing it. There’s no way to describe those feelings.

-- Roy Hodgson --

- https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/if-brutal-roy-hodgson-hits-28259859

If he's that fed up with it, why is he still managing in the Premier League at 76? Obviously the money trumps everything else. I wish I was earning millions to be disillusioned with my job.

His football has always been shit. He's not interested in actually playing football, just stopping it. That's more what i'm fed up with watching - managers like him coaching players not to play football.

There's always an absolute shitstorm whenever we get any kind of decision. It creates an atmosphere where refs consider us fair game to fuck over and "I won't give Liverpool a decision because the media will go mad".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 01:45:36 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #645 on: December 10, 2023, 01:44:17 pm »
Shades of our win there in 17/18. After we conceded, I really felt like we would wake up and come away with the three points.

Roy’s post match interview was hilarious. Showed all of the characteristics that got him sacked here.
What I find grinding about him, is that while he was here, he was so apologetic and sympathetic towards other teams- and sucked up to them whenever we lost.
Now that he's no longer Liverpool manager, he has no qualms attacking us after his own shite tactics and dirty play!

Where's the humility and respect towards us that you didn't spare other teams - after a beating, when you was at Liverpool, Roy!?
He'll be licking Arsenal, City's or Spurs' boots in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 01:46:48 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Red Wanderer

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #646 on: December 10, 2023, 01:46:03 pm »
God forbid cynical play actually gets punished. We had 90 minutes of anti-football yesterday from Palace and they get nothing but praise from TNT. We've had ridiculous yellows regularly this season. Booked for waving a card 20 yards from the ref (Spurs player didn't get one for doing the same when on a yellow against us) yet opponents routinely crowd the ref to scream for cards and this is deemed fine. We've had players booked for time wasting on a throw in the first half in a game we weren't even winning, when other teams professionally waste time. We've had players booked for complaining about a decision, when other teams are still screaming at the ref with no punishment. We've had players booked for kicking the ball away even when they weren't.  We've had 4 really soft red cards as well, yet still the narrative was Trent should have been sent off or Konate should have been sent off - all for 2 soft yellows.

TNT spent most of the second half crying that Konate wasn't sent off in the derby for a second yellow for a soft foul and the rest of the first half complaining that Young was sent off for a clearly bookable offence and second yellow.

See also Alisson being booked for time-wasting after taking 18 seconds on a goal kick against Spurs. Other keepers regularly take more than 30s at Anfield. Pope last season was warned SEVEN times to hurry up on them, and still wasn’t booked.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #647 on: December 10, 2023, 01:54:24 pm »
See also Alisson being booked for time-wasting after taking 18 seconds on a goal kick against Spurs. Other keepers regularly take more than 30s at Anfield. Pope last season was warned SEVEN times to hurry up on them, and still wasn’t booked.

I remember Taylor last season booking Ali against Brentford on a goal kick for time wasting, after their keeper had spent several seconds longer on multiple goal kicks in the same game without a booking. It was more or less the first time Ali had touched the ball.

It feels like we're playing to different rules than everyone else, yet the odd time they're applied to our opponents (i.e. Young/Ayew) everyone loses their shit. The odd time we're given the benefit of the doubt (i.e. Konate in the derby or Trent at Newcastle after a shambles of a first booking just before) and it's also a shitstorm. We're always being gaslit in this league.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 01:57:27 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: December 10, 2023, 02:02:11 pm »

We were the better team from start to finish.

Don't focus on how shite we were, focus on how shite they were instead. They went out to spoil us and take a smash and grab winner or battle to a draw. They failed.

The narrative is always that a thug team that prevents a good team from playing their best and blasting them away deserves something from the game. They don't, and Palace didn't yesterday either.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #649 on: December 10, 2023, 02:02:52 pm »
If he's that fed up with it, why is he still managing in the Premier League at 76? Obviously the money trumps everything else. I wish I was earning millions to be disillusioned with my job.

His football has always been shit. He's not interested in actually playing football, just stopping it. That's more what i'm fed up with watching - managers like him coaching players not to play football.

There's always an absolute shitstorm whenever we get any kind of decision. It creates an atmosphere where refs consider us fair game to fuck over and "I won't give Liverpool a decision because the media will go mad".
Agreed, Fromola mate...

But as an ex-manager, ex-employee of Liverpool Football Club, I do hope at least he would be "nicer" a bit when it comes to Liverpool in interview / the press conference...

I did apply for a new job and I was trying not to badmouthing my previous employer, boss or the company who had paid my salary before.

Same, that's my expectation with Roy actually, at least. Being a manager of Liverpool supposed to weigh something in your life and career, in my opinion.

Of course, not about millions of money paid when you work for Liverpool, just... Be a bit "nicer", I guess.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #650 on: December 10, 2023, 02:22:28 pm »
Want to know why Palace are such inbred c*nts?

Nigel Nazi Frottage supports them.

Hope they get relegated

Scum.

Thankfully we don’t have any embarrassing ‘celebrity’ supporters.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: December 10, 2023, 02:59:14 pm »

Don't focus on how shite we were, focus on how shite they were instead. They went out to spoil us and take a smash and grab winner or battle to a draw. They failed.

The narrative is always that a thug team that prevents a good team from playing their best and blasting them away deserves something from the game. They don't, and Palace didn't yesterday either.

agree with your wider point, we were deserved winners, but do think there was a spell in the first half where we were second best (despite their negativity). Couldn't say the timings, but broadly the second half of the first half.

We had a continued spell of holding onto the ball too long, and either losing it or being fouled (although only the former is dangerous both are bad, because we need tempo to beat sitting teams and it played into their hands). Also failed to build up from the back, gave away free kicks in our own half and offsides in their half during a rare attack. They managed to get into more dangerous positions and have shots on goal (which we didn't all half), despite our possession dominance.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #652 on: December 10, 2023, 04:28:52 pm »
Hmmm.

Micheal Howard and Therese Coffey say hello.
Jacob Reece Mogg
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: December 10, 2023, 05:17:40 pm »
in 19/20 we were just as bad vs Shef Utd & palace away.
If you see lots of clubs in the PL big difference is home and away form. Villa,Arsenal,Newcastle,Man Utd,City all far worse away from home

its not just us not performing great away from home

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: December 10, 2023, 05:40:51 pm »
Well fair dues The Reds. They pulled that one out from the fire. No sympathy whatsoever for Ayew, Roy or the Palace team. They played (yet another) cynical game and got exactly what they deserved, zero, albeit winning the battle of the yellows. As an astute Rawk poster said earlier in the thread, it's not necessary, as a "smaller" club to pay that way. Bournemouth smashed Utd yesterday, Brighton regularly run their betters off the park, I would even go as to say even no-hopers Luton (whom I watched for the first half today, sorry about that gang) play with some ambition and their own style. Palace have way better players but won't let them play. Screw them, sack that clown of a manager while you're at it.

Unfortunately this has only cemented our position as favourites for every TNT Saturday 12.30pm kick off. They are looking for controversy and a big audience and no better team than a tired Liverpool up against some plucky underdogs. The commentary team was as bad as normal until the sending off then it became a pantomime. So screw TNT too.

And we're top of the league having barely got out of third gear all game. Something stirring down Anfield way.

Offline fancy lad

• Kemlynite
« Reply #655 on: December 10, 2023, 06:00:42 pm »
I don’t know why Hodgson has be such a complete gobshite.  Both ayew cards were totally legit.  First one has been given consistently this season and the second one was a tactical foul while Liverpool were on the counter attack. That’s a yellow all day every day.

It still blows my minds that he managed us.  What a dark dark period that was.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 06:45:54 pm by fancy lad »

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #656 on: December 10, 2023, 06:21:50 pm »
Winning when not playing well is the sign of champions. It's a cliché, but it's true.

I'd rather us not keep conceding the first goal, but the character to keep coming back and snatching a win is a great habit to have. All the best Liverpool sides have been masters at comebacks and late winners, and this new version of Jurgen's Liverpool is no different.

To have made so many changes in the summer, had so many injuries, and so many positional/tactical tweaks, yet still be top of the league in December is nothing short of remarkable.

With Alison back, plus Mac, Robertson, Jota, Bajetic and Thiago all returning at some point, things are looking very tasty for the 2nd half of the season. Rest as many as possible on Thursday, and then let's smash Utd.
Onwards and upwards.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #657 on: December 10, 2023, 06:25:56 pm »

Pretty even on chances though … I mean palace are grim and everything you’ve written is true but we created very little and not really more than them

One of those where the result is all that really matter .. but we still need to play better away from home

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: December 10, 2023, 06:34:29 pm »
agree with your wider point, we were deserved winners, but do think there was a spell in the first half where we were second best (despite their negativity). Couldn't say the timings, but broadly the second half of the first half.

We had a continued spell of holding onto the ball too long, and either losing it or being fouled (although only the former is dangerous both are bad, because we need tempo to beat sitting teams and it played into their hands). Also failed to build up from the back, gave away free kicks in our own half and offsides in their half during a rare attack. They managed to get into more dangerous positions and have shots on goal (which we didn't all half), despite our possession dominance.

Yup, first half we were on the ropes. midfield was wide open, Just to chip in on your question. Red card changed it in the 2nd, mentally, physically (tactically for them), it was what we needed. Subs were great too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 06:57:34 pm by red1977 »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: December 10, 2023, 07:13:02 pm »
I think in these games where the opposition try to throw everything at us we need to earn the right to play our game for the first hour or so, until they tire. Instead we seem to aim to just hang in there without burning ourselves out and it leads to us falling behind early too often.

We used to come tearing out of the blocks from kick off every match, go a goal up and then hit teams on the break, I'm not sure what happened to that. Maybe we're just missing some players who can adapt in those kinds of circumstances? When we won the title we didn't have a single player in the team who couldn't match the intensity of their opposite number in most games.

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #660 on: December 10, 2023, 08:03:08 pm »
We’d be rubbish in a league where the points go to the team that scores first. Thankfully in the prem it’s about who scores most and we seem to be pretty good at scoring most and scoring late to add to what we’ve already scored… anyone who thinks who scores first is important really needs to start watching 90 minute games
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: December 10, 2023, 08:10:53 pm »
We’d be rubbish in a league where the points go to the team that scores first. Thankfully in the prem it’s about who scores most and we seem to be pretty good at scoring most and scoring late to add to what we’ve already scored… anyone who thinks who scores first is important really needs to start watching 90 minute games
was with you until the last line ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #662 on: December 10, 2023, 09:05:38 pm »
Pretty even on chances though … I mean palace are grim and everything you’ve written is true but we created very little and not really more than them

One of those where the result is all that really matter .. but we still need to play better away from home

We’ve won 2 in a week away though. That has to count for something. Yes, not playing as well as we can but now won 5 out of 9 away. 10 away games left, say we can win another 6, 2 draws, 2 defeats that’s another 20 points.

12 home games left. I reckon 9 wins, 3 draws isn’t unreasonable. Another 30 points.

50 more points from here gets us to 87 and that would see us very close I reckon.

Getting way ahead of myself but been doing a bit of number crunching all day!

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #663 on: December 10, 2023, 09:26:19 pm »
...... The commentary team was as bad as normal until the sending off then it became a pantomime.........

What a relief to watch a televised game on Amazon against Sheffield Utd.

They have a brilliant option  available called 'Stadium atmosphere' which does away with the incessant chattering of dickhead commentators.

Makes the match much more enjoyable - a pity Sky don't offer the same choice.
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: December 10, 2023, 09:30:59 pm »
Not related to this game but checking our Christmas and New Year schedule is pretty good. We have a 5 day gap between our game on Boxing Day and on New Years Day.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #665 on: December 10, 2023, 09:51:35 pm »
Not related to this game but checking our Christmas and New Year schedule is pretty good. We have a 5 day gap between our game on Boxing Day and on New Years Day.

That is a potentially huge advantage...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #666 on: December 10, 2023, 10:46:06 pm »

What a finish.
Top of the league!

We deserved to win. Palace did nothing but tactical fouls and they were diving at the merest touch. We didn't play well but we were the team trying to play football whereas Hodgson has turned them into a negative dire turgid team.
#JFT97

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #667 on: December 10, 2023, 11:05:18 pm »

I have stayed away from criticising Hodgson in the past as I prefer to focus on us. However his moaning and "victim mentality" has pissed me off. He had the gall to have a go at VVD for being "unprofessional" and kicking the ball against Ayew. His player deliberately stood in the way and didn't retreat. Ayew saw VVD prepare to play the ball and then jumped in front of the ball to prevent the kick being taken as his team were out of position. Hodgson needs to apologise for such a twatish comment......Ayew was 100% at fault and is a fool to think that VVD wasn't going to take a quick kick. Delaying the restart and then deliberately running in fron of the freekick is a yellow and a deserved yellow.

I think Ayew also got away with flicking the ball out of VVD's hands when he was ready to throw the ball in. That's a clear yellow.

Hodgon then claims that the 2nd yellow was harsh. We were on the attack and Ayew deliberately fouled Elliott to break up the attack. That's a clear yellow and it was idiotic to risk it when already on a yellow.

Hodgson was annoyed as his tactics are to spoil the game and to instruct his players to dive and to constantly foul to break up promising attacks. His team then need a bit of luck to win and they also need the referee to be lenient. He makes no attempt to play attacking or entertaining football. His attempts to blame the referee are to deflect the blame away from himself. Why should the referee allow multiple tactical fouls and multiple attempts to stop quick restarts. He seems to believe that he should get special treatment.

He showed that the pressure is getting to him when he said that his team could get beaten 7 times in a row but nobody will say they were unlucky not to win against us. Sorry? So he's quite happy to accept that they may lose 7 in a row but will be annoyed only because his team were somehow "unlucky".

He lives in cuckoo land and he coaches his teams to be negative and to bend the rules as far as they can. There's no way I would pay to watch the shite that his teams dish out. It's negative, it's boring, it's not interesting, it's not entertaining. Palace deserve more. His deflection of his own shortcomings is getting embarrassing and annoying. Ayew deserved the red. His team were constantly fouling and also diving to get cheap freekicks. He is simply out of his depth.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 11:42:17 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: December 10, 2023, 11:29:50 pm »
We’ve won 2 in a week away though. That has to count for something. Yes, not playing as well as we can but now won 5 out of 9 away. 10 away games left, say we can win another 6, 2 draws, 2 defeats that’s another 20 points.

12 home games left. I reckon 9 wins, 3 draws isn’t unreasonable. Another 30 points.

50 more points from here gets us to 87 and that would see us very close I reckon.

I also don't think our away form has been all that bad.  Some of the performances haven't been great but we've still picked up a lot of good results and points.

Edit: We've the third best away record in the league (https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england) - joint top on points but edged out on goal difference.  But for the hopeless officiating at Spurs we'd have the best away record.  Just look at the goal difference for the away league table, nobody is finding it at all easy this season!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #669 on: December 10, 2023, 11:37:32 pm »
I also don't think our away form has been all that bad.  Some of the performances haven't been great but we've still picked up a lot of good results and points.

Edit: We've the third best away record in the league (https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england) - joint top on points but edged out on goal difference.  But for the hopeless officiating at Spurs we'd have the best away record.  Just look at the goal difference for the away league table, nobody is finding it at all easy this season!

3rd most points but that’s partly because we’ve played 9 and others have played 8 or 7. Although that means no one has more home games left than us and that can only be a good thing.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #670 on: December 11, 2023, 12:06:20 am »

Does seem as though Away form may play a pivotal role in who ends up winning the league...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #671 on: December 11, 2023, 12:42:06 am »
i had this unusual thought, that when they waited 239 phases of play before they went back and awarded a quasi-kick in the box on quansah, he was just about to be substituted for konate. So if he had gone off just a bit earlier, im convinced these var bandits would have called a penalty on a guy who wasnt even playing in the game when they made the call.

doesn't pass street or playground rules, man. If the guy goes home you cant call a penalty on him.  ;D But you know they woulda    we didn't even get the two second rule for a good goal and a legendary point from it   
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: December 11, 2023, 01:06:56 am »
i had this unusual thought, that when they waited 239 phases of play before they went back and awarded a quasi-kick in the box on quansah, he was just about to be substituted for konate. So if he had gone off just a bit earlier, im convinced these var bandits would have called a penalty on a guy who wasnt even playing in the game when they made the call.

doesn't pass street or playground rules, man. If the guy goes home you cant call a penalty on him.  ;D But you know they woulda    we didn't even get the two second rule for a good goal and a legendary point from it

The VAR call to stop the game was made because there was no break in play. So there was no chance he could have been subbed.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #673 on: December 11, 2023, 05:26:48 am »
You only have to see the Ayew dive against Gakpo that the ref gives a free kick versus the full on shove on Endo that the ref has to be shown about 20 replays of to see what Palace got away with compared to what we were punished for. I’m amazed he sent off Ayew.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 05:35:18 am by spider-neil »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #674 on: December 11, 2023, 05:38:16 am »
You only have to see the Ayew dive against Gakpo that the ref gives a free kick versus the full on shove that the ref has to be shown about 20 replays of to see what Palace got away with compared to what we were punished for. I’m amazed he sent off Ayew.
Ayew made four professional fouls (per my count). He was shown a yellow for his 2nd (of course, it was VVD's fault the Owl said...), and then for his 4th. I don't think the challenge on Harvey was worthy of a yellow, it was for the stopping of the counter.

Many of their players were tasked with the duty to make professional fouls. The game had more than against City, which is something...

As for the dives, the breeze was strong, mate. Ayew, Mateta, everybody was falling to the ground.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: December 11, 2023, 06:57:23 am »
Question about the game was the only joy we got was in the first half when we started getting some width at the end of the first half. Palace had Ward and Clyne at full back and we hardly went at them.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #676 on: December 11, 2023, 08:11:55 am »
Question about the game was the only joy we got was in the first half when we started getting some width at the end of the first half. Palace had Ward and Clyne at full back and we hardly went at them.

Agreed.

There is almost a call to play Trent in midfield in these games and have a RB getting forward providing real width.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #677 on: December 11, 2023, 08:43:11 am »

I usually do a bit of this as well :D but for now have decided just to see what happens as it all feels a bit unpredictable this season. We’re obviously right in the mix though, which is fantastic for a supposedly transitional season.

I do think there’s a good chance the current top 5 will be the same in May, and all 5 will believe they can win it. Impossible to predict the order yet though. Normally seems to develop into a one or two horse race, but the longer it goes with 4 or 5 teams genuinely in with a shout, the madder it will get!

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: December 11, 2023, 08:51:25 am »

I’ll never tire of berating Hodgson, but I have left him alone for years now, but he just can’t help himself can he?

Even the way he frames his complaints shows his muddled thinking. As you say, he completely glosses over the fact that it was Ayew in the wrong, but he pushes the blame onto Van Dijk, then doubles down by bizarrely suggesting that Van Dijks standing within the game should prevent him from acting the way he did?

Every week we have players either throwing themselves to the floor on the slightest contact, feigning injury, wasting time, hacking at our players and in general using gamesmanship to gain an advantage over us. But in Hodgsons world, we aren’t allowed to do anything about it?

In terms of the game, I’ve seen (again bizarrely) claims that we deserved nothing, which implies that Palace deserved something? We’ve played poorly on occasions this season, but when taking the opening 16 games into consideration, there’s some mitigating circumstances.

We’ve been embedding new players, including a new midfield, we’ve been at the wrong end of some horrendous reffing that has led us to playing with 10, or even 9. That’s before we get to other decisions. We’ve had some tough aways, many after international breaks, with of course our 12.30 heavy quota that other teams just don’t seem to get to the same extent. We’ve also come through a European group, with the rotation and the Thursday/ Sunday schedule.

Let’s hope that with a bit more time between games - and as KH said, our Christmas schedule doesn’t look too bad - let’s just hope that we improve further. But if we’re all honest, only the most optimistic would have predicted we’d be top in mid December.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #679 on: December 11, 2023, 09:34:38 am »

This is the reason I made my comment. No shot on target in an hour isn't good enough from us.
We did look like we were gonna win eventually but Palace had some decent chances on the break and a soft red
Hopefully with the last two results the performances will now follow and improve.

But im over the moon we've won so dont really need to go on about it. We can enjoy getting the job done in our first mad week of fixtures and the next one is going to be a big one....beating Arsenal at the end of that week is crucial I think. Been a while since we've beat them.

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.