Author Topic: PL: Crystal Palace 1 v 2 Liverpool Mateta 57’ Mo 77’ Elliot 90+1’  (Read 29440 times)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Re: PL: Crystal Palace 1 v 2 Liverpool Mateta 57’ Mo 77’ Elliot 90+1’
« Reply #520 on: December 9, 2023, 05:22:51 pm »
Not being funny but you shouldn't have to mute the TV to enjoy a football match! It also removes the crowd noise which as we know from Covid times detracts massively from the enjoyment.
I’ve found myself more and more watching games with the TV on mute as I’m sick of the commentators. During the week it was bliss to be able to watch on Amazon with no commentary and with the crowd noise on.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #521 on: December 9, 2023, 05:23:28 pm »
What a comeback!  The subs, and red card, changed the game in our favour and the boys found a way again.

However.  Luton, Shefield United, Crystal Palace.  Three away games against terrible teams who have run their socks off while we have not come close to matching their effort.  It's becoming a pattern now and I'm not sure what the reason is.  Our squad has been managed well this season, so it doesn't make sense that so many of our players look physically and mentally tired in these games.

Our upcoming mid-week game needs to be filled with the kids and maybe a few players who will be on the bench against ManU.  Given ManU will have to play on Tuesday in the Champions League, I'm hoping we see our players come out aggressive and ready to cover every blade of grass next Sunday as it's been awhile since we've played well in the league.
Raϊl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: December 9, 2023, 05:25:49 pm »
Incredibly important three points.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #523 on: December 9, 2023, 05:26:34 pm »
Non drama yellows, but the fucking commentators and pundits are just so desperate to invent controversy every bloody time when the reality is that they should have been praising the ref for actually giving out the first yellow to try and curtail palace's gamemanship and fouling and then praising them for not falling into the usual trap of being overly lenient to a player that knew they were on a yellow and deliberately chose to do a foul that merited another one, but obviously since this was against us the agenda racing to the fore and there is an attempt to turn the shock of momentarily competent reffing into controversy.

Agree…..it was weird to listen to TNT fuming about the red. The fact is that Palace broke up almost every one of our attacks with a foul. Ayew was rightly booked for sticking out a foot to stop the free kick. In fact he made no attempt to retreat and let us take the free kick quickly. Then he was rightly booked for stopping us attacking quickly. The same thing had gone on all game……..constant fouls to stop us attacking and preventing us quickly getting on with the game. Hodgson can do one as this came directly from him and his tactics and instructions were the reason for it.

TNT even had the gall to say that the sending off ruined the game for the neutral. Not one mention of the fact that the neutral was pissed off at the constant fouls to stop attacks.

So why were Palace stopping us taking free kicks and fouling as soon as we were outnumbering them? It was because they knew that we are by far the better team and would destroy them if the game was played at a quick pace. The referee let them away with a lot in the first half but suddenly decided to punish them for their tactics. Almost half of the Palace team were on yellows and it should have been more. I can remember a couple of “tactical” fouls that they got away with.

So stop moaning when the referee rightly books players for deliberately fouling to slow the game down or for persistently stopping a quick restart. It was up to Hodgson and his players to realise that they were close to getting a red card.

If you look at Ayew’s two yellows then both were very “soft” but both were deliberate attempts to prevent us quickly attacking. The referee quite rightly booked him on both occasions and it’s Ayew’s fault for both and not the referee’s. Hodgson needs to have a hard look at himself as the players were following instructions.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2023, 05:28:22 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #524 on: December 9, 2023, 05:31:12 pm »
Companies have offered crowd-only audio in the past, it'd be nice if it became standard, but of course sly and bt wouldn't be able to spout their agenda-driven bollocks if most people switched to crowd-only audio.
I'd genuinely love a "Liverpool end" no-commentary option.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #525 on: December 9, 2023, 05:33:34 pm »
Agree…..it was weird to listen to TNT fuming about the red. The fact is that Palace broke up almost every one of our attacks with a foul. Ayew was rightly booked for sticking out a foot to stop the free kick. In fact he made no attempt to retreat and let us take the free kick quickly. Then he was rightly booked for stopping us attacking quickly. The same thing had gone on all game……..constant fouls to stop us attacking and preventing us quickly getting on with the game. Hodgson can do one as this came directly from him and his tactics and instructions were the reason for it.

TNT even had the gall to say that the sending off ruined the game for the neutral. Not one mention of the fact that the neutral was pissed off at the constant fouls to stop attacks.

So why were Palace stopping us taking free kicks and fouling as soon as we were outnumbering them? It was because they knew that we are by far the better team and would destroy them if the game was played at a quick pace. The referee let them away with a lot in the first half but suddenly decided to punish them for their tactics. Almost half of the Palace team were on yellows and it should have been more. I can remember a couple of “tactical” fouls that they got away with.

So stop moaning when the referee rightly books players for deliberately fouling to slow the game down or for persistently stopping a quick restart. It was up to Hodgson and his players to realise that they were close to getting a red card.

If you look at Ayew’s two yellows then both were very “soft” but both were deliberate attempts to prevent us quickly attacking. The referee quite rightly booked him on both occasions and it’s Ayew’s fault for both and not the referee’s. Hodgson needs to have a hard look at himself as the players were following instructions.

Listening to 5-live, even the MOTD team are disagreeing with the TNT spin.  Says everything.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #526 on: December 9, 2023, 05:50:41 pm »
Not being funny but you shouldn't have to mute the TV to enjoy a football match! It also removes the crowd noise which as we know from Covid times detracts massively from the enjoyment.

That was one thing that I found an enhancement during the behind closed doors games. Obviously it massively took away from the game, but not having to listen to the utter shite other fans come out with against us was better.  I can never watch a game at Goodison with the sound on for example,, it's utterly unlistenable, it's just 90 minutes of boos, cries and appeals. It's unbearable for more than 2 minutes.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: December 9, 2023, 05:54:30 pm »
What a comeback!  The subs, and red card, changed the game in our favour and the boys found a way again.

However.  Luton, Shefield United, Crystal Palace.  Three away games against terrible teams who have run their socks off while we have not come close to matching their effort.  It's becoming a pattern now and I'm not sure what the reason is.  Our squad has been managed well this season, so it doesn't make sense that so many of our players look physically and mentally tired in these games.

Our upcoming mid-week game needs to be filled with the kids and maybe a few players who will be on the bench against ManU.  Given ManU will have to play on Tuesday in the Champions League, I'm hoping we see our players come out aggressive and ready to cover every blade of grass next Sunday as it's been awhile since we've played well in the league.

What are the stats like this season? I remember last season we were right near the bottom of the table on a lot of metrics in terms of endurance stats. Also chances conceded (Ali regularly bailing us out). A younger midfield should have alleviated this somewhat but we seem to rely a lot on Elliott for a bit of energy.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #528 on: December 9, 2023, 05:56:21 pm »

I'm sure this is why there are shouts for a sin bin before a red card, so they can just have players committing fouls constantly.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: December 9, 2023, 05:58:33 pm »
That was outstanding.. a fantastic win.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: December 9, 2023, 06:02:01 pm »
Not a good performance. Got the win. That a tough game on a short rest on back to back away games.
Glad to have Alisson back too. Jones and Elliott had huge impacts

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #531 on: December 9, 2023, 06:19:53 pm »
The more likely everyone especially the pundits feel an easy Liverpool win is on the cards, the more worried I get. I was pretty nervous before this one and for good reason apparently.

However the way we found a way is very encouraging. 4 games in 9 days , Klopp really earns his corn by getting the rotation and subs in there to do what he can and still get the wins. Look what Pep and Howe have been doing for example. Trippier was a scarecrow in the last game. The stat they mentioned, hammys up 90+% this year. The calendar is out of control.

Harvey driving it home is just fantastic. You gotta love it. Top of the table.

I heard them say that, then they concluded that it was due to players having to wait around for VAR decisions. No, fool, it's because they're all playing too much football, simple as that. Then a manager who has the guts to speak out about it is slagged off for "whinging".
Fόreinander, nicht jeder fόr sich.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste bjφrksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #532 on: December 9, 2023, 06:23:09 pm »
Shades of our win there in 17/18. After we conceded, I really felt like we would wake up and come away with the three points.

Roy’s post match interview was hilarious. Showed all of the characteristics that got him sacked here.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: December 9, 2023, 06:23:50 pm »
Are there indecent and uncommon potatos?

Typically they all sound utterly mashed.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #534 on: December 9, 2023, 06:24:21 pm »
Typically they all sound utterly mashed.

;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #535 on: December 9, 2023, 06:27:46 pm »
So glad Alisson played today without him we would have lost , unreal keeper

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #536 on: December 9, 2023, 06:46:50 pm »
So happy with that win. Couldn’t give a shite how we got there, the three points is all that matters. Get the absolute fuck in.

This season’s a bit of a hoot (little nod to Roy there).

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: December 9, 2023, 06:48:18 pm »
Probably mentioned earlier but Joel Ward was very lucky not to get a second yellow card when we equalised.  Salah's shot deflecting in diverted attention away from his late tackle on Curtis.

Hearing Hodgson's post match interview was glorious.  He's such a bitter man and easily slips into passive aggressive behaviour with interviewers.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #538 on: December 9, 2023, 06:57:08 pm »
Companies have offered crowd-only audio in the past, it'd be nice if it became standard, but of course sly and bt wouldn't be able to spout their agenda-driven bollocks if most people switched to crowd-only audio.

enjoyed the Stadium FX option on Amazon for the midweek games ...an absolute blessing.....lasted 5 mins on BT today before switching to another stream - covered by Ian Darke and Matt Holland...but also had to mute that as the second half wore on and the agenda increased ....a well worn topic I know, but the level of punditry in this country really is shocking ...no matter who's covering it, the standard has plummeted... Tyldsley and McCoist were streets ahead of the competition but even that partnership has been broken up and the godawful Darren fuckin Fletcher has ruined McCoist...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: December 9, 2023, 07:00:04 pm »
Interesting stat is that we've only lost once in our last 27 Premier League matches. That defeat being the controversial one at Spurs. We don't always play pretty, but we're pretty darn effective when it comes to the crunch.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: December 9, 2023, 07:17:18 pm »
We were awful for large parts, pretty much every player was off the pace. Whether that is 3 games in 6 days.. who knows. This was different to the Sheffield Utd game.. while we didn't play well in either, we were far far better against Sheffield United. We seemed to either not react to the conditions and Palace's style in the first half.. we wanted an extra pass or we often got brushed off the ball. There were loads of times Quansah/Endo had the ball but there was nothing on or they were too afraid to play a risky pass (understandable).

The officiating was awful, so inconsistent throughout and those VAR calls took forever on both. I thought it was a penalty to be fair. The subs changed the game and while people will point to the sending off, I think regardless, we'd have pressed and likely got an equaliser. But its so true we did not play well today and haven't played well for a while. A few players look slightly off form, but we're getting through this period which is brutal.

Harvey changed the game, although when he starts he can sometimes be ineffectual. 3 points is all that matters and two big home games coming up before Christmas!

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #541 on: December 9, 2023, 07:24:03 pm »
It's Christmas. The games are coming in thick and fast, so the win is all that matters!
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #542 on: December 9, 2023, 07:27:15 pm »
Ay, here we are with problems at the top of the league.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: December 9, 2023, 07:30:29 pm »
Is this our year?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #544 on: December 9, 2023, 07:31:12 pm »
Is this our year?
No, but I'm glad the year is almost over.  ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: December 9, 2023, 07:31:14 pm »
We were awful for large parts, pretty much every player was off the pace. Whether that is 3 games in 6 days.. who knows. This was different to the Sheffield Utd game.. while we didn't play well in either, we were far far better against Sheffield United. We seemed to either not react to the conditions and Palace's style in the first half.. we wanted an extra pass or we often got brushed off the ball. There were loads of times Quansah/Endo had the ball but there was nothing on or they were too afraid to play a risky pass (understandable).

The officiating was awful, so inconsistent throughout and those VAR calls took forever on both. I thought it was a penalty to be fair. The subs changed the game and while people will point to the sending off, I think regardless, we'd have pressed and likely got an equaliser. But its so true we did not play well today and haven't played well for a while. A few players look slightly off form, but we're getting through this period which is brutal.

Harvey changed the game, although when he starts he can sometimes be ineffectual. 3 points is all that matters and two big home games coming up before Christmas!

I thought we were generally poor in the 3 games. What we did today and against Fulham was react to going behind and actually wake up. In midweek getting our noses in front gave us something to hold onto at least in the second half.

What we need to do is start these games quicker. We really gave encouragement to Fulham/Palace/Sheff United, when fast starts could have made the games easier.

Offline Bcnsean

• Main Stander
« Reply #546 on: December 9, 2023, 07:47:42 pm »
Some over the top negative shite in here. People do realise we've just gone top of the league right?! Every team around us are dropping points while we are churning our win after win. Enjoy it for Christ's sake.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: December 9, 2023, 07:50:32 pm »
Interesting to see how we are not the only team dropping daft points here there and everywhere. Maybe that's just going to be the running theme for this season? If nothing else it makes things more interesting than City's bore-fest title processions.

City struggle under pressure, and Arsenal are still getting nosebleeds when they're getting into a good position. Only Liverpool has the combination of guts, mentality, skill and experience in this situation.

Doesn't mean the wheels won't come off, but we're as good at digging deep as any other team up there this year.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: December 9, 2023, 07:51:04 pm »
COMEBACK KINGS!
Salah's 200th.
Elliot thinks he is Salah goal.
Ali's save.
Libpool top of the League.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #549 on: December 9, 2023, 07:54:47 pm »
Massive win. Got to admire the spirit in this Team.

Wait until we start playing well.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 9, 2023, 07:56:29 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: December 9, 2023, 07:57:03 pm »
Well top of the league after today’s results.  Not bad.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: December 9, 2023, 08:03:18 pm »
It's so refreshing to see 10 minutes additional time, isn't it?

Just call it as it is, like what we saw in World Cup.
The problem is sometimes it bites the arse of the team that hasn't been time wasting

I'd rather just see yellows for time wasting and put an end to it

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #552 on: December 9, 2023, 08:12:37 pm »
The more I watch this team, the more I think we need jota in our starting 11

Offline Lubeh

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: December 9, 2023, 08:15:20 pm »
Top of the League baby, and Villa doing a great job on Arsenal means we stay there,  Man Utd next, hopefully beat them and sta top into the New Year, though even Klopp says we dont need new players a DM nad CB would be nice even if just for cover, United  then Arsenal both we are at home win them and we flying

Top of the League Top of the League Libpool , Libpool Top of the League (and we ain't played great yet)
« Last Edit: December 9, 2023, 08:23:16 pm by Lubeh »

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: December 9, 2023, 08:16:51 pm »
The more I watch this team, the more I think we need jota in our starting 11
Would say Elliot over Jota, he should start every game against the teams that will sit back.

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #555 on: December 9, 2023, 08:17:49 pm »
I'd genuinely love a "Liverpool end" no-commentary option.

Banger of an idea. One of the best I’ve heard. Make this happen.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #556 on: December 9, 2023, 08:19:53 pm »
Next 4 league games heading into the FA Cup weekend and then a break afterwards:

Man Utd (H)
Arsenal (H)
Burnley (A)
Saudis (H)

"Jόrgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: December 9, 2023, 08:22:49 pm »
Next 4 league games heading into the FA Cup weekend and then a break afterwards:

Man Utd (H)
Arsenal (H)
Burnley (A)
Saudis (H)

Fingers crossed we get Alexis back, was worried Ali would miss a few of them (massive he's back)

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: December 9, 2023, 08:23:43 pm »
Playing pretty average and top of the league. Crazy as other seasons we could have easily dropped quite a few points in the last few weeks. Sneaking across the line right now and hopefully the lads will feed off the wins n start hitting top gear.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #559 on: December 9, 2023, 08:27:34 pm »
In hindsight, this is a huge result. This is where we've not taken advantage in previous seasons, dropping points alongside rivals instead of gaining on them.