Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted)  (Read 3253897 times)

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #77720 on: March 22, 2024, 01:29:10 pm »
Ibou has missed five games through injury this season

I'm not sure we really need to restrict ourselves with 'first choice' and 'rotation option'. In any position really, apart from GK. Hypothetically we could have 69 games next season so we really need a squad with little drop off, like this season. So everyone should get plenty of football, and there's definitely room for another CB.
Some of it is preemptive though. We proactively rest Ibou because of that.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77721 on: March 22, 2024, 02:21:49 pm »
Some of it is preemptive though. We proactively rest Ibou because of that.

Yeah I’d guess Konate’s minutes aren’t very high this season even though he’s first choice CB and has only missed 5 games (and counting) through injury.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #77722 on: March 22, 2024, 02:53:15 pm »
He's played the second most minutes at CB for us.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77723 on: March 22, 2024, 02:56:39 pm »
Yeah I’d guess Konate’s minutes aren’t very high this season even though he’s first choice CB and has only missed 5 games (and counting) through injury.
That's because we've managed his minutes well by resting him for the odd game. That's easier in the Europa League.

In the CL, there's a greater need to play your best players 3 games a week and he's not that kind of player that can't do that consistent.

Again, whether he's first choice is debateable. Matip also plays big games too. Prior to his injury, the rotation was very good with Quansah stepping in occasionally.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77724 on: March 22, 2024, 03:07:44 pm »
That's because we've managed his minutes well by resting him for the odd game. That's easier in the Europa League.

In the CL, there's a greater need to play your best players 3 games a week and he's not that kind of player that can't do that consistent.

There's potentially 17 CL games next season. We're not going to play our 'best players' 3 times a week that many times over a season where there's major championships this summer. Whether that's Ibou or someone else, its just not going to happen. At a guess Ibou would still be 'first choice' next to Virg but we'd sign someone else and then have those two, Quansah and the new guy as our four 'main' CBs with Gomez playing a lot of football across the back four.

Next season is going to be madness, everyone is going to need a colossal squad to deal with it

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77725 on: March 22, 2024, 03:54:05 pm »
There's potentially 17 CL games next season. We're not going to play our 'best players' 3 times a week that many times over a season where there's major championships this summer. Whether that's Ibou or someone else, its just not going to happen. At a guess Ibou would still be 'first choice' next to Virg but we'd sign someone else and then have those two, Quansah and the new guy as our four 'main' CBs with Gomez playing a lot of football across the back four.

Next season is going to be madness, everyone is going to need a colossal squad to deal with it
We're saying the same thing.

"Greater need" doesn't mean we'll play them 3 times a week every time. It just means that it'll happen more often due to the higher quality of the CL teams.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77726 on: March 23, 2024, 01:14:24 pm »
It'll just be them/him hitting the ball long/wide. He's trying nearly as many passes over 30 yard as he is under 15 per 90
https://fbref.com/en/squads/e4a775cb/2023-2024/c9/Nottingham-Forest-Stats-Premier-League

Pass success is just not something I'd worry too much about, it can be very team/role specific. Like Trent's is 74% in the league this year, but it's just not something to worry about given how we and he play. I imagine if you look at someone like Lewis Dunk his is massively different from playing under Houghton to De Zerbi as a centre back example

He does take a lot of chances. He was massively at fault for one of our goals against them at Anfield because he thought it was okay to try and dribble past our entire midfield. He has a bit of David Luiz about him.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #77727 on: March 23, 2024, 01:31:56 pm »
It'll just be them/him hitting the ball long/wide. He's trying nearly as many passes over 30 yard as he is under 15 per 90
https://fbref.com/en/squads/e4a775cb/2023-2024/c9/Nottingham-Forest-Stats-Premier-League

Pass success is just not something I'd worry too much about, it can be very team/role specific. Like Trent's is 74% in the league this year, but it's just not something to worry about given how we and he play. I imagine if you look at someone like Lewis Dunk his is massively different from playing under Houghton to De Zerbi as a centre back example
I get that it’s something that in isolation doesn’t mean a great deal, but you also have to look at the breakdown. Murillo’s poor accuracy is pretty much entirely attempted line-breaking passes out of the final third, as well as his high-for-a-defender take-ons and ball turnovers, he needs to mature a lot and be heavily coached. I do think there’s a player there but he scares me. The Trent example isn’t really fair, his typical starting position for a pass is 15 yards further up the field than Murillo and Trent is trying lower yield, higher reward passes; he’s in the 98th percentile for progressive passes and 99th for shot creating actions, which gives another hint to how different it is. Trent is attempting nearly 9 progressive attempts per 90, Murillo 3 but he’s basically giving the ball away twice for every three attempts. Worse than that in fact.

I guess that’s the point you’re making, that role is heavily weighted when considering the pass stats; I agree, definitely, but specifically Murillo worries me with his tendency to turn over the ball in his own half.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77728 on: March 23, 2024, 07:28:03 pm »
Lloyd Kelly wouldn’t be the strangest move with Hughes in the door. Our of contract and homegrown.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77729 on: March 23, 2024, 08:32:40 pm »
Think Rodrygo would be brillant at us
Real will have alotbof firepower may need to sell him with the Mbappe wages

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77730 on: March 23, 2024, 11:03:47 pm »
Lloyd Kelly wouldn’t be the strangest move with Hughes in the door. Our of contract and homegrown.

It wouldn’t be the right move for us in our situation, we only need 3-4 players (if that) so why not get the absolute best quality we can? is Kelly really a massive upgrade on Robertson or Tsimakis? would he get in the side ahead of Quansah or Gomez?

we would be better off aiming to find someone who can really put pressure on VVD & be ready to take his place in a few seasons, that’s the quality/standard we need, Kelly has Newcastle or Villa written all over him

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77731 on: March 24, 2024, 12:06:30 am »
I agree, Asam. Our academy is now doing a great job filling out homegrown squad depth. Our external recruitment should be solely focused on bringing in those who are - or are on the cusp of becoming - best in class. No need to scour the planet for cheapies who can "do a job". Of course, when someone like a Matip is out of contract then you pounce, but does anyone think Lloyd Kelly is the new Matip (injury jokes notwithstanding)?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #77732 on: March 24, 2024, 08:18:31 am »
I agree, Asam. Our academy is now doing a great job filling out homegrown squad depth. Our external recruitment should be solely focused on bringing in those who are - or are on the cusp of becoming - best in class. No need to scour the planet for cheapies who can "do a job". Of course, when someone like a Matip is out of contract then you pounce, but does anyone think Lloyd Kelly is the new Matip (injury jokes notwithstanding)?

Adarabioyo on a free would be an obvious Matip replacement.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77733 on: March 24, 2024, 08:35:04 am »
Adarabioyo on a free would be an obvious Matip downgrade.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77734 on: March 24, 2024, 09:09:50 am »

Would we feel confident playing him in a champions league final? that’s the question we should be asking when looking at signings, we’re in a tremendous position to build and fine tune the squad but each player who comes in has to raise the bar

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77735 on: March 24, 2024, 09:19:40 am »
New director of football going back to his old club for an average at best player would be pretty alarming.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77736 on: March 24, 2024, 10:11:58 am »
Bremer at Juve maybe a CB option. Think we liked him previously

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77737 on: March 24, 2024, 10:46:49 am »
Bremer at Juve maybe a CB option. Think we liked him previously
We were vaguely linked with him when he was at Torino during the dreaded injury crisis of 20/21. Always looks commanding when I’ve seen him play, but I’ve caught precious little of Serie A this season. Reportedly has a €43m release clause which is odd for Juventus but if true looks reasonable.

New director of football going back to his old club for an average at best player would be pretty alarming.
Agreed, typically, but I think Kelly for me looks a bit better than average and could become better under the right set up, albeit we don’t have that near-flawless Klopp guarantee that we will improve them. I think the chatter was more coming from me raising the idea that with him being homegrown, left footed, out of contract and able to play that left-sided hybrid role, it makes a lot of sense. Others may have watched him more than me and formed a stronger opinion, I’ve always liked him. Clearly not the same League as Hincapie though (who I’ve seen a lot of this season and rate as the clear best option there).
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77738 on: March 24, 2024, 10:48:25 am »
Think Rodrygo would be brillant at us
Real will have alotbof firepower may need to sell him with the Mbappe wages

In.

Think he’d be brilliant for us and actually play him in his best position. Will be interesting if he stays there.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #77739 on: March 24, 2024, 11:31:21 am »
If we’re looking at English defenders surely only Guehi’s realistic for us? Can’t see the blues selling us JB even if they were on the verge of administration, I’m not sure we’d even pursue him due to the rivalry either.

Kelly would be a funny one, we had our interest in the past but I’m not sure he’s what we’d want now, even on a free.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77740 on: March 24, 2024, 01:23:47 pm »

Is this why we've been lniked with him for the past 5 years also? Michael Edwards wanted him too.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #77741 on: March 24, 2024, 01:33:42 pm »

Good points. Bradley/Quansah/Bajcetic all look great among a few others there's high hopes for like Doak and Clark. Even with a new manager I can't see loads of big signings this summer, two or three maybe to add on top of a really good squad. Get them all right and there's no reason why we won't be competing at the very business end of the league and Champions League still in the coming years. I can see this summer being one where they stress the importance of contract renewals like they did the year we only signed Konate. To be honest though we should be in a better place this time around.

I think my priorities would be a centre half, LB, and wide forward. Matip, great servant, expect to see him moved on now though, we just can't rely on him even though he's always performed. If he was a few years younger I'd keep around but another long term injury when he's turning 33, just thank and move on. His replacement would be of the Konate mould of being experienced for a few years, a decade ahead of him and one who looks like they'll be one of the best around going forward. Oh, and if he could have a better fitness record than Ibou that'd be welcomed. Really, he should be a long term partner for Konate (when fit!) or Quansah. Maybe even Gomez, who knows. I still think we can get another few great years out of VVD though. As for Tosin from Fulham, he'd be a nice buy on a free but given we don't need loads we can spend on someone better. If this was last summer I'd have said yes but Gomez is in form and we have Quansah.

Left back: I think a thing that can make Liverpool better as a team/squad right now is proper competition for Robertson. I feel harsh on Tsimikas saying that, I've always liked him, he's been absolutely crucial on a few occasions and as far as content back up left backs go, you really aren't doing better than what he's provided IMO. That said, if we can move him on so he can go and play more regularly in his best years I'd advise him on doing so, allowing us to bring in someone who can eventually take Robbo's spot. I think at this stage of his career he could benefit off somebody he knows might be able to replace him. The one who I'm looking at and think it actually could be is the lad from Wolves, Ait-Nouri. Looks really promising. I think that dynamic, if it's to happen, us having two starting quality left backs could be really good for us going forward. Robertson could thrive off that, I don't see him throwing a fit and asking to get off, at his age I really think the only other option he might be interested in is going to Celtic or something and that won't happen for a few years.

Forward: You could make an argument for both sides, but I don't see us signing both. Diaz is probably similar to Robertson, could benefit more from competition, ideally one who gets into better goalscoring opportunities more regularly ala Mane. As for Salah, not sure he really needs the competition but this is where I feel maybe a younger alternative could come in and pick some games up. Big shame Doak has been injured because I could have seen him providing this option, but I think it'd be better to see him go out on loan next season. I'm tentative to say 'long term replacement' because IMO Salah should be in our starting side until the day he can literally do it no more but I think we can target someone to take over the role from him, but you just can't say when that's going to be.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 01:35:24 pm by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77742 on: March 24, 2024, 11:52:39 pm »
Adarabioyo is a decent player but it strikes me we’d be signing him because he’s free as bargain depth rather than actually wanting him or thinking he’d be a good fit.

Lloyd Kelly is much more interesting; turned down big wage rises at Bournemouth and is someone we were reportedly willing to pay a fee for summers’ past. Hughes would likely advocate if he rates him, and he fills that left-sided hybrid CB that may or may not be part of the system next season, without the need to spend big on Hincapie or Inacio. He’s the one I can really see us going for, as whilst he’s maybe not quite the level of the previous two mentioned, he’s clearly a very good footballer, who fits the brief and wouldn’t impact the transfer budget massively, allowing spend on other parts of the squad.

Finally, someone else banging the Lloyd Kelly drum 😀
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77743 on: March 25, 2024, 01:58:28 pm »

Q. How do you upgrade this Liverpool squad so we challenge the top teams in the champions league and stay relevant in the premier league?

A. Lloyd Kelly and Adabario  :lmao

You would think we’re back in the Hodgson days

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77744 on: March 25, 2024, 03:56:40 pm »

Q. How do you upgrade this Liverpool squad so we challenge the top teams in the champions league and stay relevant in the premier league?

Yeah we're not signing Lloyd Kelly
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77745 on: March 25, 2024, 04:20:48 pm »
https://twitter.com/PJBuckingham/status/1772176727055176060

Liverpool and FSG are about to embark on a multi-club strategy “to remain competitive”. A look at where the search will be focused, why and the size of club that will serve this purpose. Portugal a strong candidate.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77746 on: March 25, 2024, 04:29:30 pm »

Indeed, there are some mad player shouts here.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77748 on: March 25, 2024, 06:19:21 pm »
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1772247311529443618

Portugal, France & Belgium considered most likely starting points
Target a small club where "protests would be minimal"?
Must have potential to be self-sustainable
Was Strasbourg too big for BlueCo?

@PJBuckingham explores Liverpool and FSG's multi-club targets.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77749 on: March 25, 2024, 07:06:38 pm »
https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1772322675060269341

Maatsan has a 35m release clause

https://fbref.com/en/players/cab9634e/Ian-Maatsen

good player
I’ve been banging the Maatsen drum a while. I don’t really care that it would help Chelsea out slightly.

On the Kelly and Adarabioyo chatter - and I don’t love the latter - I think there’s some unfair derision directed at both, who are good players. They’re both homegrown, on a free and good enough to play an effective role in the squad. I don’t think anyone’s advocating that they’d be first choice players but in a Tsimikas or Gomez role etc, offering depth and options at an age profile we’re lacking a touch.

If we believe there’s no Matip next season, we absolutely need another centre half and whilst we’d all prefer the obvious shouts, there’s a place for us to take a lesser heralded player and improve them; Robertson, Endo etc.

Neither would be my first choice but I can absolutely see why we’d have some interest in one or both. Bastoni, Schlotterbeck, Hincapie, Colwill etc would be my first picks but there’s maybe only one of those that’s remotely possible.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77750 on: March 25, 2024, 11:22:25 pm »
I’ve been banging the Maatsen drum a while. I don’t really care that it would help Chelsea out slightly.

On the Kelly and Adarabioyo chatter - and I don’t love the latter - I think there’s some unfair derision directed at both, who are good players. They’re both homegrown, on a free and good enough to play an effective role in the squad. I don’t think anyone’s advocating that they’d be first choice players but in a Tsimikas or Gomez role etc, offering depth and options at an age profile we’re lacking a touch.

If we believe there’s no Matip next season, we absolutely need another centre half and whilst we’d all prefer the obvious shouts, there’s a place for us to take a lesser heralded player and improve them; Robertson, Endo etc.

Neither would be my first choice but I can absolutely see why we’d have some interest in one or both. Bastoni, Schlotterbeck, Hincapie, Colwill etc would be my first picks but there’s maybe only one of those that’s remotely possible.

We only need a few players, 3-4 at the most, it makes no sense to scrape the bargain barrel when we are in an excellent position financially and could easily make a few high quality investments without getting close to breaching FFP rules, I’m not advocating for a Chelsea like splurge but let’s not act like we’re Burnley either.

Matip was very highly rated in Germany, Klopp himself stated that he valued him as a £40M player (or number in that ballpark), Kelly, Adabario would not be players we would be looking to sign if they weren’t on free transfers UNLESS we needed to bring in 6-7 players in which case yes they would make sense as squad fillers, I’d rather give Nallo a go than sign either of these two

what question are we trying to answer with this signing? aren’t we in a relatively good position when it comes to homegrown players with all the talent we’ve got coming through?

a) Are we planning for who will succeed VVD (as he won’t last forever and probably only has a few more seasons in him)

or B) how do we replace the lost minutes of an injury prone Matip?

Lose VVD to injury and we’re fucked next season, IMO since we need quality over quantity we should sign the next Konate not the next Klavan (as a stopgap)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77751 on: March 26, 2024, 12:26:19 am »
All things being equal, this is the happiest I've felt about the squad in years. There are non-urgent positions like left back or holding midfielder we could arguably improve on with big money, but if nothing was changing off the pitch, I'd be fine with no one coming in. Still, as things are changing, the two biggest factors aren't who's available and looks good. It's:

1) Who's coming in as manager and are we missing/do we need to upgrade on any particular profile of player?

2) What's the timeline for replacing Salah and Van Dijk (I'm guessing Trent re-signs, simply because I don't think any similarly big team rates him as highly as we do), and do we think it makes more sense to try this summer or next?

Whatever the result, it's going to be very hard to predict what we do, especially with Edwards and Hughes coming in. For me, they get an automatic pass next season just because of all the change, but I think there may well be some decisions that seem like real left field choices.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #77752 on: March 26, 2024, 06:22:09 am »
We only need a few players, 3-4 at the most, it makes no sense to scrape the bargain barrel when we are in an excellent position financially and could easily make a few high quality investments without getting close to breaching FFP rules, I’m not advocating for a Chelsea like splurge but let’s not act like we’re Burnley either.

Matip was very highly rated in Germany, Klopp himself stated that he valued him as a £40M player (or number in that ballpark), Kelly, Adabario would not be players we would be looking to sign if they weren’t on free transfers UNLESS we needed to bring in 6-7 players in which case yes they would make sense as squad fillers, I’d rather give Nallo a go than sign either of these two

what question are we trying to answer with this signing? aren’t we in a relatively good position when it comes to homegrown players with all the talent we’ve got coming through?

a) Are we planning for who will succeed VVD (as he won’t last forever and probably only has a few more seasons in him)

or B) how do we replace the lost minutes of an injury prone Matip?

Lose VVD to injury and we’re fucked next season, IMO since we need quality over quantity we should sign the next Konate not the next Klavan (as a stopgap)

I’d be amazed if we did 3-4 senior players this summer given the relative strength of the squad. Matip is so far the only planned exit (that we know of), with the emergence of Quansah, it might not be the worst idea to sign a Kelly or whoever on a free if that means we can drop a huge figure on let’s say a transformative 6 or potentially a player to replace Mo.

I can’t say I’ve sat and studied Kelly for years, but I remember him picking Bournemouth over us all of those years ago. Yes the landscape has massively changed since then, but it’s often said once you’re on our radar you’ll remain there. He ticks a lot of what we like in a player, 150+ career games, PL experienced, versatile and homegrown. He might not be the type of player that excites us, but he might be seen as a sound value option to provide depth if we feel we can’t find proper value in the top end of the centre back market, or we think Quansah has elite potential and Kelly is a solid 4th/5th option. I think people linking him with us are thinking there’s ties to Hughes, previous interest and he fills a position/role of need. I’m not sure, I think it’s easy to think Hughes would want a player he recruited elsewhere, but I’m thinking why’s he not tied him down to a new deal? Unless the player knows there are top offers available elsewhere, if Hughes was thinking he’s worthy of Liverpool he’d have surely made sure he got a fee for him for the club, but maybe the player just flat out refused and it was easier to keep him. I did read Spurs had a £20m bid rejected a few weeks ago so they could potentially have got something, that’s as far as I went with it, though.

I try not to get myself wrapped up in the hysteria around sniggering at transfers and using previous ones (like Klavan) as a stick to beat a potential new one with. We all remember the embarrassment of takes when we announced Endo, particularly after the peak of agreeing a fee for Caicedo. If we decide to go for Kelly I’ll have full faith it’s for all the right reasons. I can’t see another summer like last summer where we fork out £150m on players unless we sell a couple to fund it and make room within the squad. I think we’ll do one, maybe two depending on outs, and will continue to stick to our principles within the market.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 06:24:04 am by Garlic Red »

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #77753 on: March 26, 2024, 11:25:52 am »
If we’re looking at LB we couldn’t go wrong looking at Robinson ( Fulham ) and  Aït-Nouri ( Wolves )

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #77754 on: March 26, 2024, 12:20:30 pm »

Improving the squad over the next few seasons may be about providing game time and opportunity to the likes of Bradley, Elliott, Gravenberch and Quansah to continue developing. Maybe others as well.

It’s why we need to be careful with any additions. We could make short term improvements but potentially at the cost of long term development to some of our young players.

It’s a tricky balance between getting best players available, having appropriate depth and providing space for younger players development. Not easy to get right and will probably need a blend of buying 1st team  ready players and players for depth/experience. I think Endo is a really good example of the latte. without necessarily buying the best available player for an open position in the squad we ended up adding depth and experience but without blocking pathway for younger players.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 12:23:03 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77755 on: March 26, 2024, 12:54:10 pm »
If we’re looking at LB we couldn’t go wrong looking at Robinson ( Fulham ) and  Aït-Nouri ( Wolves )

Robinson isnt good enough.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #77756 on: March 26, 2024, 01:22:34 pm »
I’d be amazed if we did 3-4 senior players this summer given the relative strength of the squad. Matip is so far the only planned exit (that we know of), with the emergence of Quansah, it might not be the worst idea to sign a Kelly or whoever on a free if that means we can drop a huge figure on let’s say a transformative 6 or potentially a player to replace Mo.

I can’t say I’ve sat and studied Kelly for years, but I remember him picking Bournemouth over us all of those years ago. Yes the landscape has massively changed since then, but it’s often said once you’re on our radar you’ll remain there. He ticks a lot of what we like in a player, 150+ career games, PL experienced, versatile and homegrown. He might not be the type of player that excites us, but he might be seen as a sound value option to provide depth if we feel we can’t find proper value in the top end of the centre back market, or we think Quansah has elite potential and Kelly is a solid 4th/5th option. I think people linking him with us are thinking there’s ties to Hughes, previous interest and he fills a position/role of need. I’m not sure, I think it’s easy to think Hughes would want a player he recruited elsewhere, but I’m thinking why’s he not tied him down to a new deal? Unless the player knows there are top offers available elsewhere, if Hughes was thinking he’s worthy of Liverpool he’d have surely made sure he got a fee for him for the club, but maybe the player just flat out refused and it was easier to keep him. I did read Spurs had a £20m bid rejected a few weeks ago so they could potentially have got something, that’s as far as I went with it, though.

I try not to get myself wrapped up in the hysteria around sniggering at transfers and using previous ones (like Klavan) as a stick to beat a potential new one with. We all remember the embarrassment of takes when we announced Endo, particularly after the peak of agreeing a fee for Caicedo. If we decide to go for Kelly I’ll have full faith it’s for all the right reasons. I can’t see another summer like last summer where we fork out £150m on players unless we sell a couple to fund it and make room within the squad. I think we’ll do one, maybe two depending on outs, and will continue to stick to our principles within the market.
We do need 3-4 players though.

Robbo is not the player he once was and needs someone who is/will be good enough to takeover his role. A CB is a necessity with Matip going, Konate not able to stay fit for a full season and Virg aging. A rotation of Virg, Quansah, Konate and another youngish CB is vital going into another 50+ game season. The midfield is great already and will be better with Bajcetic in there next season.

The forward line will be trickier if as rumoured Diaz wants to go, and Salah's furture uncertain. Even if Mo stays a truly quick left footer would be a really good option to have and is probably necessary because we look one paced if Nunez isn't playing.

I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #77757 on: March 26, 2024, 01:29:37 pm »
What's this about Diaz wanting to leave?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77758 on: March 26, 2024, 02:06:36 pm »
A new manager coming in will definitely have ideas on freshening the squad as he will surely have access to decent funds. I can see him bringing in 3 or 4 players at least to strengthen the squad n first 11. He will have a couple of decisions to make in regards to new
contracts as well which may force his hand as there's a reason why some are edging towards the last year of their contract. If the new manager cashed in on one or two lads adding £200m to the coffers I wouldn't be surprised as the owners like to balance the books too.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #77759 on: March 26, 2024, 02:36:34 pm »
What's this about Diaz wanting to leave?
The usual chatter about him wanting Barca, and his father has fanned those rumours a bit. The obvious caveat is that Barca are broke and that's not changing anytime soon.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close