Author Topic: Things you find..weird  (Read 66095 times)

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Re: Things you find..weird
« Reply #400 on: January 12, 2023, 07:51:30 pm »
There's so much happening at this time of year though.  Birds noseying in the nest boxes, new birds arriving at the feeders and the ewe's are about to start lambing. 

It beats checking out the neighbours mate ☺️

Neighbours not lambing in an interesting enough manner?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: January 12, 2023, 09:16:09 pm »

Nah mate  :P

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: January 15, 2023, 03:59:54 pm »
People who have three (or more) games on different screens. I get you're passionate about football but that's just overkill.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: January 15, 2023, 04:10:10 pm »
if they were lambing right now at all, that would be interesting in and of itself.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #404 on: January 15, 2023, 04:30:45 pm »
Being in a boozer and you have people queuing for coffee

and like. Not with a meal

I haven't done the legwork but it seems there are people who go to a boozer for coffee.

I also don't generally get 0% beers. If you're a recovering alky surely you'd be better off swerving a drink that looks like a reminder? I wouldn't drink most lagers at gunpoint if they didn't contain the alcohol so I'm not sure why you wouldn't get a delicious Coca Cola instead or orange juice or yknow something actually nice

if it's for appearances that suggests it's a product created to remove bullying culture. Like you'd get it to fit in / swerve dumbass accusations

I've straight up asked for tap water in a pub, though isn't the reason I go nor the only thing I get. Water is excellent in all situations

see also: vegetarian bacon, burgers etc. It's probably about the form really but seems some kind of halfway house

Says the alcohol guzzling lunatic who air fries steaks

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: January 15, 2023, 04:56:15 pm »
Being in a boozer and you have people queuing for coffee

and like. Not with a meal

I haven't done the legwork but it seems there are people who go to a boozer for coffee.

I also don't generally get 0% beers. If you're a recovering alky surely you'd be better off swerving a drink that looks like a reminder? I wouldn't drink most lagers at gunpoint if they didn't contain the alcohol so I'm not sure why you wouldn't get a delicious Coca Cola instead or orange juice or yknow something actually nice

if it's for appearances that suggests it's a product created to remove bullying culture. Like you'd get it to fit in / swerve dumbass accusations

I've straight up asked for tap water in a pub, though isn't the reason I go nor the only thing I get. Water is excellent in all situations

see also: vegetarian bacon, burgers etc. It's probably about the form really but seems some kind of halfway house

Says the alcohol guzzling lunatic who air fries steaks

As Vyvyan said to Rik in the Kebab and Calculator-"This is a pub, they dont do coffee"  :)

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2023, 04:58:01 pm »
As Vyvyan said to Rik in the Kebab and Calculator-"This is a pub, they dont do coffee"  :)

think I went there after going the Swan and Paedo

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2023, 05:19:56 pm »

If you're driving, its better to drink one of them rather than be daft and have a pint or two and it does stop dickheads going "go on, have a drink, you'll be OK with one" if they see you with a coke.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2023, 05:36:45 pm »
If you're driving, its better to drink one of them rather than be daft and have a pint or two and it does stop dickheads going "go on, have a drink, you'll be OK with one" if they see you with a coke.

what scenario is this where you are expected to be behind the wheel with a lager?

Although I did expect dickheads to feature into the equation

and probably your answer

(sticks on The Fall: container drivers)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: January 15, 2023, 06:57:46 pm »
what scenario is this where you are expected to be behind the wheel with a lager?

Although I did expect dickheads to feature into the equation

and probably your answer

(sticks on The Fall: container drivers)

Nice summers day, top down if you have a convertible, crack a can open

If you've got a pick up, you can even have a hot tub in the back

Jurgen YNWA

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #410 on: January 15, 2023, 07:07:54 pm »
Words like realise/realize, color/colour exist. I get it's a UK and USA spelling but really strange nonetheless!
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: January 15, 2023, 07:08:58 pm »
Nice summers day, top down if you have a convertible, crack a can open

If you've got a pick up, you can even have a hot tub in the back

you don't really look the way I imagined.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: January 15, 2023, 07:10:46 pm »
I find it weird that most of the countries on this planet drive on the wrong side of the road. What's that all about ?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #413 on: January 15, 2023, 07:13:14 pm »
you don't really look the way I imagined.

How had you imagined Rob in a hot tub?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: January 15, 2023, 07:13:55 pm »
Words like realise/realize, color/colour exist. I get it's a UK and USA spelling but really strange nonetheless!

On that, the way the US/Canada denote dates.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: January 15, 2023, 07:14:27 pm »
How had you imagined Rob in a hot tub?
more tats.

that's tAts by the way.  :)

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: January 15, 2023, 07:17:18 pm »
the only sensible way to write/print a date is YYYY-MMM-DD.

Saying "February Second" is more sensible than saying "Two February" which is very weird.  using month first gives the listener instant notice that it's a date you're saying.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #417 on: January 15, 2023, 07:29:16 pm »
It’s not ‘two February’ though is it. It’s ‘second of February.’
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: January 15, 2023, 07:37:05 pm »
Exactly, no one says '2 February'.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: January 15, 2023, 07:44:03 pm »

I only ever got around to getting one. Its based on this, without the band name/song name, nor the lipstick on the grenade. Didn't like the band, just the image.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: January 15, 2023, 07:52:00 pm »
I find it weird that most of the countries on this planet drive on the wrong side of the road. What's that all about ?

Blame the French.

According to this, in 1300, Pope Boniface VIII instructed pilgrims to keep to the left. The French aristocracy drove their carriages on the left, forcing the poor onto the right. With the French revolution, the aristocrats moved to the right to look like the poor. Then Napolean ordered his troops to march on the right to avoid congestion and as they invaded each country in Europe, the invaded country switched from left to right. The last two in Europe, Czechoslovakia and Hungary switched after the Germand invaded.

https://nationalmotormuseum.org.uk/ufaqs/why-do-we-drive-on-the-left-side-of-the-road-in-the-uk-but-most-other-countries-drive-on-the-right/

I had heard that, because most people are right handed, riders on horseback passed to the left so that they could see the sword arm of each other and pass without being taken by surprise and attacked with a sword.
Jurgen YNWA

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #421 on: January 15, 2023, 08:35:31 pm »

Next February?

Or February after next?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: January 15, 2023, 09:31:59 pm »
Exactly, no one says '2 February'.

yanks do

but yeah

nobody who matters

they might say it as February 2

I'm like... BUT I HAVENT SEEN THE FIRST ONE

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: January 15, 2023, 09:33:59 pm »
I've heard that a ton of times, from ppl living in the UK.

pretty sure I've heard it on the bbc as well.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: January 15, 2023, 09:45:43 pm »
I've never in my life heard anyone say a date like "2 February". Always either "2nd of Februaury" or "February the 2nd".

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: January 15, 2023, 09:53:57 pm »
yanks do

but yeah

nobody who matters

they might say it as February 2

I'm like... BUT I HAVENT SEEN THE FIRST ONE

Spoiler
The events in 1 February take place exactly one day before 2 February
[close]

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #426 on: January 15, 2023, 10:10:22 pm »

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: January 15, 2023, 10:10:54 pm »
Nah, we really don't...
agreed

neither do Canadians

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: January 15, 2023, 10:12:33 pm »
the bbc style guide agrees with me ....

dates
Put the date before the month, without suffix (eg: 12 April). There is no added comma for the year (eg: 12 April 2003), but there should be one if the day of the week is included (eg: Saturday, 12 April).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsstyleguide/d/

the above is how I've heard news people on the bbc say it.

I'm pretty sure I've heard UK politicians say it that way too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 10:16:16 pm by SamLad »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #429 on: January 15, 2023, 10:25:03 pm »
Nah, we really don't...
I find it weird how people in the US say Appalachian’s …….

Even though it’s clearly the right way to say it…

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: January 15, 2023, 10:30:44 pm »
I find it weird how people in the US say Appalachian’s …….

Even though it’s clearly the right way to say it…

I find it weird how people in the UK say Mon-TAR-na …….

Even though it’s clearly the wrong way to say it…  :)

My brother in law went there on a fishing trip once and he refused to say it the proper way.  just refused to accept he was wrong.

mind you ppl in the UK still call Obama O-BAR-ma.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2023, 10:32:19 pm »

dates
Put the date before the month, without suffix (eg: 12 April). There is no added comma for the year (eg: 12 April 2003), but there should be one if the day of the week is included (eg: Saturday, 12 April).

Yeah that's how it's usually written in the UK which makes sense as it's in order, day, month, year. Literally never heard anyone in my life just say a number though when saying a date, without the th, st or whatever, it would sound ridiculous.

Talking of weird differences on dates, I always think it looks or sounds odd when US media says something happened "Monday" instead of "on Monday". 
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: January 15, 2023, 10:33:41 pm »

My brother in law went there on a fishing trip once and he refused to say it the proper way.  just refused to accept he was wrong.

You know some weird English people, I'd never say Montarna! Presumably it's the same people who'd say Glarsgow!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: January 15, 2023, 10:33:55 pm »
another difference ...

"at the weekend"
vs
"on the weekend"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 10:36:06 pm by SamLad »

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: January 15, 2023, 10:35:39 pm »
You know some weird English people, I'd never say Montarna! Presumably it's the same people who'd say Glarsgow!
to be honest most of this I get from watching the bbc.

thinking of Glarsgow ....

Kills me to hear ppl in the US talk about MosCOW (rhymes with the animal)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: January 15, 2023, 10:36:02 pm »
another differnce ...

"at the weekend"
vs
"on the weekend"

That has regional differences within the UK as well I think.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #436 on: January 15, 2023, 10:36:11 pm »

That’s a southern thing….  In the north of the uk people would say Mont A na
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #437 on: January 15, 2023, 10:36:51 pm »

dates

There are several things going on here. Firstly you're right that DD MONTH is a fairly common way of writing the date, e.g 15 April, 2 February etc

But that's writing it, not saying it. When people say dates the first few numbers in particular are not often said as a cardinal number, but as an ordinal.

So while you often hear people say both "Fifteen February" and "Fifteenth February", you rarely hear anyone say "One February" or "Two February" or "Three February" because for those numbers the ordinals come much easier to the mind and tongue: "First February", "Second February" etc up to at least Fifth and Sixth, often further.

Once you get to the higher numbers then the cardinal is sometimes used instead of the ordinal.

I'm not gonna say that no one ever says "Two February" because someone's bound to, but it's not at all common in speech, but is more so in writing.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: January 15, 2023, 10:37:09 pm »
to be honest most of this I get from watching the bbc.

thinking of Glarsgow ....

Kills me to hear ppl in the US talk about MosCOW (rhymes with the animal)/

;D

Afghanistarrrn always gets me on the BBC, like they say the Afghan bit without an R in it but can't manage the Stan at the end!

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: January 15, 2023, 10:37:11 pm »
That’s a southern thing….  In the north of the uk people would say Mont A na
my BIL lives in Formby  :)