Author Topic: Things you find..weird  (Read 68117 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Things you find..weird
« Reply #440 on: January 15, 2023, 10:38:13 pm »
You know some weird English people, I'd never say Montarna! Presumably it's the same people who'd say Glarsgow!

We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #441 on: January 15, 2023, 10:38:34 pm »
That has regional differences within the UK as well I think.

never knew that.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #442 on: January 15, 2023, 10:41:26 pm »
my BIL lives in Formby  :)
Never heard Montarna anywhere in the UK. I reckon your BIL is just a bit of a sparnner ;)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: January 15, 2023, 10:43:15 pm »
Never heard Montarna anywhere in the UK. I reckon your BIL is just a bit of a sparnner ;)

nah he's a good (Red) lad.

I think we've beaten the living shit out of this topic for now though  :)

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #444 on: January 15, 2023, 10:45:07 pm »
nah he's a good (Red) lad.

heh I'm sure he is. 'Twas just an excuse for a crap play on words :)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: January 15, 2023, 10:45:37 pm »
heh I'm sure he is. 'Twas just an excuse for a crap play on words :)
no worries mate, I got what you meant.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: January 15, 2023, 10:48:52 pm »
You know some weird English people, I'd never say Montarna! Presumably it's the same people who'd say Glarsgow!

Speaking of which, Americans who say Glass-cow.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #447 on: January 15, 2023, 10:50:25 pm »

I don’t really know any English people who’s even talk about Montana, however they pronounce it. Unless they’re talking about Joe maybe. :D

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #448 on: January 15, 2023, 10:53:23 pm »
I don’t really know any English people who’s even talk about Montana, however they pronounce it. Unless they’re talking about Joe maybe. :D
Be happy your kids never discovered Hannah!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #449 on: January 15, 2023, 11:06:42 pm »
Probably would be inthe south east to be fair
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: January 16, 2023, 12:18:19 am »
Can only imagine people too posh to function saying Montarna (and I live in the south) - like royal family adjacent inbred types

One that bothers me, which is probably more likely to be overheard, is brits that say garage like "ga-rarge"  (rarge pronounced like Raj) - instead of "gar-idgj"

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: January 16, 2023, 06:50:07 am »
Brian Moore used to say SoWness when talking about Graeme Souness. Used to wind me up a bit.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #452 on: January 16, 2023, 06:56:14 am »
Brian Moore used to say SoWness when talking about Graeme Souness. Used to wind me up a bit.
I remember when Jimmy Hill suddenly started saying Can “toe! na…. Hilarious unless you were a Manchester United fan….

Brian Moore was a commentator who was bizarrely revered…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: January 16, 2023, 08:52:10 am »
Speaking of which, Americans who say Glass-cow.

They muller loads of UK towns and counties, Edinburgh, Manchester, Marlborough. Worcestershire is my favourite, Wor-Sester-Shire ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: January 16, 2023, 08:52:48 am »

78 European Cup Final is the most famous clip of him saying that
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #455 on: January 16, 2023, 09:26:26 am »
I'm not gonna say that no one ever says "Two February" because someone's bound to, but it's not at all common in speech, but is more so in writing.

My girlfriend does, but she's a foreigner and she's just translating how it's said in Greek. She'll say "What day next month are we going... 8?" etc. It's a bit jarring.

So maybe people saying it that way are used to it from other languages, and bringing it into English? Is this another thing the gammons can blame multicultural societies for?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #456 on: January 16, 2023, 09:28:06 am »
One that bothers me, which is probably more likely to be overheard, is brits that say garage like "ga-rarge"  (rarge pronounced like Raj) - instead of "gar-idgj"

It's a car hold (or possibly car hole, people don't seem to be able to agree on what Moe says in that scene, which I hope is intentional).

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: January 16, 2023, 03:04:25 pm »
My girlfriend does, but she's a foreigner and she's just translating how it's said in Greek. She'll say "What day next month are we going... 8?" etc. It's a bit jarring.

So maybe people saying it that way are used to it from other languages, and bringing it into English? Is this another thing the gammons can blame multicultural societies for?

A lot of languages have different cardinal and ordinal numbers, though I don't know about Greek. Apparently these are quite different concepts that different parts of our brains deal with. Young kids for example learn to count in a sequence, before they can understand where in the sequence "the third" is.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: January 16, 2023, 03:25:57 pm »
A lot of languages have different cardinal and ordinal numbers, though I don't know about Greek. Apparently these are quite different concepts that different parts of our brains deal with. Young kids for example learn to count in a sequence, before they can understand where in the sequence "the third" is.
then we confuse the hell out of them by talking about the Firth of Forth.. :)

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #459 on: January 16, 2023, 03:31:11 pm »

Or buying shares in Fifth Third...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: January 16, 2023, 03:34:02 pm »

And Eric Morecambes favourite footy score finally came true

Jurgen YNWA

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #461 on: January 16, 2023, 03:38:55 pm »
Be happy your kids never discovered Hannah!

Don't you mean Harnah?! :P

They muller loads of UK towns and counties, Edinburgh, Manchester, Marlborough. Worcestershire is my favourite, Wor-Sester-Shire ;D

Aussies trying to get their heads around Loughborough...Loogabarooga ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: January 16, 2023, 03:46:40 pm »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #463 on: January 17, 2023, 12:06:16 am »
Fruit salad ice cream and shredded cheese??? Whhhhyyyyy the cheese? I don’t understand

Online Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: January 17, 2023, 06:07:41 pm »
Fruit salad ice cream and shredded cheese??? Whhhhyyyyy the cheese? I don’t understand

Where would they even try and serve that ?!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #465 on: January 17, 2023, 06:11:25 pm »
Don't you mean Harnah?! :P

Aussies trying to get their heads around Loughborough...Loogabarooga ;D

:D Love that.

But then some Aussie place names are great. There’s a part of Sydney called Woolloomooloo.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: January 17, 2023, 06:25:44 pm »

Where would they even try and serve that ?!

It’s a normal thing in Bogota apparently. Shocked me to my core.

Online Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: January 17, 2023, 06:41:22 pm »

Ah Colombia,are you sure it was cheese?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: January 17, 2023, 06:43:06 pm »

Ah Colombia,are you sure it was cheese?

100% sure. It got about 4 bites into it and couldn’t continue. Had to scrape it off.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #469 on: January 17, 2023, 06:55:40 pm »
:D Love that.

But then some Aussie place names are great. There’s a part of Sydney called Woolloomooloo.

When you see place names like that in Australia, mostly have indigenous origins.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 07:02:48 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #470 on: January 17, 2023, 08:41:50 pm »
When you see place names like that in Australia, mostly have indigenous origins.

Yeah. Wollongong and Toowoomba are others aren’t they?

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #471 on: January 17, 2023, 09:19:25 pm »
Yeah. Wollongong and Toowoomba are others aren’t they?
Kangaroo. Maybe

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: January 17, 2023, 09:25:55 pm »
Aigburth and Fazakerley (egg-bth and F-zack-er-lee for non scousers) are place names in LIverpool that get mispronounced a lot. I've heard Fazakerley pronounced as Fay-zer-curly
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: January 17, 2023, 09:35:05 pm »
Aigburth and Fazakerley (egg-bth and F-zack-er-lee for non scousers) are place names in LIverpool that get mispronounced a lot. I've heard Fazakerley pronounced as Fay-zer-curly

Huyton's the weird one for me, sounds nothing like how it looks

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: January 17, 2023, 09:41:09 pm »
English football fans constantly throwing up wanker signs at players just for breathing.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: January 18, 2023, 02:02:32 pm »
Somewhat related, I recommend something a bit similar in brazil - guava 'paste' (sort of a firm concentrated jam) with a soft cheese (philadelphia cream cheese works)

The flavour when combined is amazing - though it's sometimes hard to convince people to try it

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/romeo-and-juliet-recipe/

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: January 18, 2023, 03:36:39 pm »
You sometimes get traffic people on the radio saying Kirk-bee and I've heard Mag-hull a couple of times too.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: January 18, 2023, 03:44:03 pm »
You sometimes get traffic people on the radio saying Kirk-bee and I've heard Mag-hull a couple of times too.

The DJ Darren Reddick on Planet Rock is Canadian, he does exactly that,  and its funny as listening to him mangle other place names too - you'd think they'd have told him by now
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #478 on: January 18, 2023, 03:45:53 pm »
Gatacre is another one , pronounced Gat - Acker by Scousers  and not Gate - Acre as i often heard on Granada Reports back in the day   :butt
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: January 18, 2023, 04:00:40 pm »
Childwall?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly