Author Topic: Number 7  (Read 41325 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Number 7
« Reply #480 on: March 21, 2021, 02:06:57 am »
To be honest, the draw is not fair. Our half of the draw has 4 previous winners with a total of 22 titles, and the other half of the draw has only 2 previous winners with a total of 7 titles ...

If you place your life on one side of the draw winning it. Which half would you go for ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: March 21, 2021, 07:35:34 am »
If you place your life on one side of the draw winning it. Which half would you go for ?

If I have to put my life on it, it will be on our side of the draw, of course. In a crazy season like this, the winner of the whole thing will be whoever wins our tie with Real Madrid ...

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #482 on: March 21, 2021, 07:52:52 am »
Grant Wahl got his start covering College Basketball and most of his audience is Americans.  What is in the sports news right now in the US?  College Basketball national tournament where it's setup so the the best 2 or 4 teams would only see each other in the semifinals or finals while the watching public hopes for upsets and bets billions on it.  Funny thing is if a lot of upsets happen and a bunch of small colleges are in the last 4 or 8 then nobody would watch. 

Not to say his idea is good as people seemingly love draws but it was worth him posting it just to see all the UK media heads that shit all over the worthless CL group games get all indignant.  Fucking hypocrits.

Edit: I also think a Eurowide seeded knockout tournament would be way better than the Europa Conference but that's just me.

I’ve been making this point for years but the CL group games aren’t ‘worthless.’

Anyone who has been to watch us away in Europe will know that the draw for the group is really exciting and you get to consider where you might get to go to watch us, this year is a prime example of that, had we been le to go we’d have had trips to Ajax, Bergamo and Denmark.

Even if you don’t go to the games, the idea that a group stage of some of the best sides in their individual leagues is somehow worthless is just utter shite, it isn’t, and it’s something that bugs me as I read this every year. There seems to be some myth that the big teams just stroll through the group which simply isn’t the case, since we’ve been back in the CL under Klopp we’ve been involved in 4 group stages and this season was the only one which hasn’t gone to the last game, and even this involved a fairly tense match against Ajax to avoid it doing so. Of course the bigger teams will tend to go through and of course you will get the odd team who are basically qualified after 3 matches (Bayern always seem to be) but there’s also usually several who aren’t.

The opinion of that journalist, who ive never heard of, that we should start rigging competitions to get the better teams to the final is just utter fucking lunacy, for one thing if that had happened you’d probably never have got the Barcelona v Liverpool tie which I’m sure he’s made a mint out of covering.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: March 21, 2021, 04:14:23 pm »
https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1373293218033438725

An absolutely bizarre statement from Grant Wahl that has been pretty universally derided, but it has started some pretty interesting conversations about seeding in sport.

At least in theory, I like the idea of total randomness, particularly in relation to the Champions League. Let's have the four qualifying English teams in one group!

Another fucking idiot.

Tell you what, lets fuck the whole CL off and just play the final between the 2 perceived best teams  :wanker
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: March 21, 2021, 04:22:31 pm »
Just seen that Marca back-page. I hope we win.

Offline nerdster4

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #485 on: March 21, 2021, 07:55:11 pm »
Great to avoid Bayern and city
Madrid are obviously a good side But that Midfield can be disturbed with intensity given Modric and Kroos’ age

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: March 21, 2021, 09:32:54 pm »
Another fucking idiot.

Tell you what, lets fuck the whole CL off and just play the final between the 2 perceived best teams  :wanker

Quite.

The fact he’s doubled down on it and started trying to make out that it’s some vendetta against Americans sums up what a ridiculous idea it was in the first place.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: March 21, 2021, 09:36:33 pm »
Another fucking idiot.

Why stop there? Just give the trophy to the best looking squad each year, no need for all these silly matches
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: March 21, 2021, 09:47:24 pm »
An American "Soccer" journalist wanting to make the Champions League final 8 like a NCAA seeding system.

;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: March 21, 2021, 10:02:41 pm »
Right now we dont have much of a chance of #7 as we dont have the levels of performance that are required to get all the way to the final and win it. That MAY change and hopefully it will but it requires every part of the team upping their levels from average to great. Our frontline this season has been piss poor excluding Salah while Jota is a month away from full match fitness, midfield has misfired and yet to show a consistency that warrants a Top 4 nevermind CL winners and our defense is stitched up with players off form or back ups to our back ups. If we do pull off the the wins of all wins then Jurgen is Houdini in disguise as he needs to pull a super human achievement from a team that will be lucky to hit 60 plus points this season. Thankfully anything can happen in a Cup competition and where there is life there is hope and maybe we can change things around and get on a run of form that will breath life back into this team. It will be interesting to see which Liverpool team turns up against Real as they have only lost one game this calendar year so the form book is not good for us. Honestly they are way off their best years too so we have a chance as long as we can buck up our ideas.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #490 on: March 21, 2021, 10:12:10 pm »
Right now we dont have much of a chance of #7 as we dont have the levels of performance that are required to get all the way to the final and win it. That MAY change and hopefully it will but it requires every part of the team upping their levels from average to great. Our frontline this season has been piss poor excluding Salah while Jota is a month away from full match fitness, midfield has misfired and yet to show a consistency that warrants a Top 4 nevermind CL winners and our defense is stitched up with players off form or back ups to our back ups. If we do pull off the the wins of all wins then Jurgen is Houdini in disguise as he needs to pull a super human achievement from a team that will be lucky to hit 60 plus points this season. Thankfully anything can happen in a Cup competition and where there is life there is hope and maybe we can change things around and get on a run of form that will breath life back into this team. It will be interesting to see which Liverpool team turns up against Real as they have only lost one game this calendar year so the form book is not good for us. Honestly they are way off their best years too so we have a chance as long as we can buck up our ideas.

We had dreadful league form in 04/05 and terrible injuries. Also, an embarrassing FA Cup exit to lower league opposition. We did raise our game in Europe though, starting with two good wins against a well fancied German side in the last 16.

We finished with 58 points that year. Only twice since 3 points for a win came in have we finished with lower than that. We're on 46 points with 9 games to play and a favourable run in. We'd expect to hit 60 points minimum.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: March 22, 2021, 12:37:52 am »
Another fucking idiot.

As Simon Hughes asks in that thread, how often has the UCL Final been played between two sides who are generally perceived as the two best in Europe anyway and, more importantly, how can you really identify the two best teams properly? Man City aren't even Champions of their own league. By what metric would they be considered one of the two best sides in Europe? Bookies odds maybe?

Offline Gaz75

• Kopite
« Reply #492 on: March 22, 2021, 12:48:17 am »
Niall Quinn co commentary on virgin for Milan v utd; both these teams have dominated Europe at different times 🤣🤣 I nearly choked on my dinner, how do these people get paid for this?

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #493 on: March 22, 2021, 01:38:25 am »
Stupidity isn’t confined to any one nationality.  Already said I don’t agree with Grant but I think it is taking away from the fact that there are a lot of media members that do disparage the group stage.  One non top 5 league team advanced this year, zero last year, two the year before that while 4 for 17/18 but that was almost solely due to luck of the draw.  There’s always an outlier but generally the richest teams advance. 

A better CL discussion would be if you’re not taking the top 32 teams in the world then how do you make for more competitive games before the knockouts especially as we’re about to get more of them? 

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #494 on: March 22, 2021, 05:57:00 am »
Great to avoid Bayern and city
Madrid are obviously a good side But that Midfield can be disturbed with intensity given Modric and Kroos’ age

They'll just bypass the midfield, long ball 424.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: March 22, 2021, 09:09:29 am »
Stupidity isn’t confined to any one nationality.  Already said I don’t agree with Grant but I think it is taking away from the fact that there are a lot of media members that do disparage the group stage.  One non top 5 league team advanced this year, zero last year, two the year before that while 4 for 17/18 but that was almost solely due to luck of the draw.  There’s always an outlier but generally the richest teams advance. 

A better CL discussion would be if you’re not taking the top 32 teams in the world then how do you make for more competitive games before the knockouts especially as we’re about to get more of them?

How much more competitive does it need to be?

We’ve taken qualification to the last day 3 out of 4 of the last seasons, the year that we won it, we took it to pretty much to the last minute.

This year on the last day man United were knocked out and Real Madrid needed a result to get through.

You’ve got to remember that it is the first round proper of the competing (which is seeded) so it’s always going to favour the seeded teams. There’s no issue with it currently I don’t think.

Grant’s suggestion was total shite. The CL is one of the few things in football which is fine as it is, which is a shame as it will inevitably get meddled with again.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #496 on: March 22, 2021, 12:29:05 pm »
As Simon Hughes asks in that thread, how often has the UCL Final been played between two sides who are generally perceived as the two best in Europe anyway and, more importantly, how can you really identify the two best teams properly? Man City aren't even Champions of their own league. By what metric would they be considered one of the two best sides in Europe? Bookies odds maybe?
by the metric of running away with the PL currently

Form team.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #497 on: March 22, 2021, 04:19:58 pm »
How much more competitive does it need to be?

We’ve taken qualification to the last day 3 out of 4 of the last seasons, the year that we won it, we took it to pretty much to the last minute.

This year on the last day man United were knocked out and Real Madrid needed a result to get through.

You’ve got to remember that it is the first round proper of the competing (which is seeded) so it’s always going to favour the seeded teams. There’s no issue with it currently I don’t think.

Grant’s suggestion was total shite. The CL is one of the few things in football which is fine as it is, which is a shame as it will inevitably get meddled with again.

Ultimately we did get through though and as I'm highlighting so did every almost every other top 5 team.  It's not me complaining but the majority of the UK press when match week 5 and 6 roll around and most of the games are formalities.  Nothing wrong with saying you like it as is though but they've already committed to changing the CL with more group games.  Without some type of change those bottom 16 teams will continue to just be road kill on the way to the knockouts.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #498 on: March 22, 2021, 04:56:30 pm »
Ultimately we did get through though and as I'm highlighting so did every almost every other top 5 team.  It's not me complaining but the majority of the UK press when match week 5 and 6 roll around and most of the games are formalities.  Nothing wrong with saying you like it as is though but they've already committed to changing the CL with more group games.  Without some type of change those bottom 16 teams will continue to just be road kill on the way to the knockouts.

That is sport though. Unless you go down the route of US sport and artificially level things up. In elite level sport the better competitors and teams beat the lesser teams. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #499 on: March 22, 2021, 04:56:47 pm »
I actually think that the CL doesn't really become a serious comp until the QFs.

There are still too many average teams in the last 16.

Any decent team needs to get to the QF as a bare minimum.

The only exception is if their last 16 tie was against one of the form teams and/or they've been ravaged by injuries.

The big games start from the QFs onwards..

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #500 on: March 22, 2021, 05:23:27 pm »
I actually think that the CL doesn't really become a serious comp until the QFs.

There are still too many average teams in the last 16.

Any decent team needs to get to the QF as a bare minimum.

The only exception is if their last 16 tie was against one of the form teams and/or they've been ravaged by injuries.

The big games start from the QFs onwards..

Every year though there is a group of death.

This year PSG, Leipzig, United. Last year Barcelona, Dortmund, Inter. Before that Madrid, Dortmund and Spurs.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: March 22, 2021, 08:04:40 pm »

We did get through yeah, but no matter what format you use, if you seed a draw then that is always going to end up with the bigger sides tending to go through, that’s the whole point of it. What you currently have is a decent balance between keeping the stronger sides in the tournament and also making the early stages a decent spectacle. It does result in a few dead rubbers on match days 5 and 6 but there’s also lots to play for as well, in our group for example you had us through after 5 matches but the Ajax and Atalanta one as setup for a great game (it wasn’t, it was total shite but that’s not because of the format of the tournament or anything.)

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #502 on: March 22, 2021, 08:27:14 pm »
Niall Quinn co commentary on virgin for Milan v utd; both these teams have dominated Europe at different times 🤣🤣 I nearly choked on my dinner, how do these people get paid for this?
Dominating maybe a bit of a stretch, at least in Utd's case

Didn't hear it but he was probably talking about Utd getting through to the CL Final 3 out of 4 years 2007/8 to 2010/11 (albeit they lost 2 of them to Messi/Barca)

Milan were quite dominant in the 90's getting to the CL final 3 times in a row (losing twice) and again in the 2000s this time winning it twice and losing to us  ;)
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #503 on: March 22, 2021, 08:55:14 pm »
We did get through yeah, but no matter what format you use, if you seed a draw then that is always going to end up with the bigger sides tending to go through, that’s the whole point of it. What you currently have is a decent balance between keeping the stronger sides in the tournament and also making the early stages a decent spectacle. It does result in a few dead rubbers on match days 5 and 6 but there’s also lots to play for as well, in our group for example you had us through after 5 matches but the Ajax and Atalanta one as setup for a great game (it wasn’t, it was total shite but that’s not because of the format of the tournament or anything.)

I think you keep getting confused with what I'm saying.  A lot of UK football writers already slate the CL group stage as just a procession for the richest teams.  That's not me, it's Jonathan Wilson, Barney Ronay, Barry Glendennding, etc etc.  So I get you're saying that you think it's fine but again there are others that don't.  The CL is also going to change to from 6 to 10 group games.  So maybe there is an interesting conversation about how that would be possible to make better?  But saying "the stronger should smash the weaker" is a response as well so /shrug

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #504 on: March 22, 2021, 09:06:55 pm »
I think you keep getting confused with what I'm saying.  A lot of UK football writers already slate the CL group stage as just a procession for the richest teams.  That's not me, it's Jonathan Wilson, Barney Ronay, Barry Glendennding, etc etc.  So I get you're saying that you think it's fine but again there are others that don't.  The CL is also going to change to from 6 to 10 group games.  So maybe there is an interesting conversation about how that would be possible to make better?  But saying "the stronger should smash the weaker" is a response as well so /shrug

The thing is none of those writers have a problem with City pissing the League whilst continually falling foul of FFP rules. I think that says more about the quality of sports writers more than the format of the CL.

As for the CL being extended that is down to the greed of the rich club owners it has very little to do with improving the competition.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #505 on: March 22, 2021, 09:29:40 pm »
Just a few thoughts here: 

1.  You can learn a lot from children and their questions
2.  Jurgen is always teaching -- loved this
3.  This interview opened the door on his approach to struggling players -- confidence (how difficult it has been to stay positive this year in particular)

Might be the best thing you see all day

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/f8S3E-aOPqc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/f8S3E-aOPqc</a>
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #506 on: March 22, 2021, 10:35:31 pm »
I think you keep getting confused with what I'm saying.  A lot of UK football writers already slate the CL group stage as just a procession for the richest teams.  That's not me, it's Jonathan Wilson, Barney Ronay, Barry Glendennding, etc etc. 
So what?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #507 on: March 22, 2021, 10:44:10 pm »
So what?

Nothing really.  I found it amusing those those dunking on Grant are just as big of morons or hypocrites?  I also find it an interesting subject to discuss?  But we can't really have that I guess. 

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #508 on: March 22, 2021, 10:48:53 pm »
Nothing really.  I found it amusing those those dunking on Grant are just as big of morons or hypocrites?  I also find it an interesting subject to discuss?  But we can't really have that I guess. 

What do you suggest Salary caps, drafts or some other way to handicap the better teams.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #509 on: March 22, 2021, 10:55:58 pm »
Nothing really.  I found it amusing those those dunking on Grant are just as big of morons or hypocrites? 
Are they? I've not really been following this but it seems to me that people's main objection with Wahl was that he seemed to be asking for the 'biggest clubs' to have a facilitated route to the final because he wants to see them there, for no other reason than that they are the putative 'biggest teams'.

That's something people this side of the pond will instinctively balk at, (as it's not part of the culture here), even if they also criticise the current set up. It's not the fact of criticism it's the content of the crit, and hence no hypocricy seems to be involved. 

Meanwhile, my point was that the journos who may be criticising the current set up would also probably criticise whatever other setup is in place. It's just something to do to fill space. There may well be plenty of reasons for criticising the current setup, but the fact that some journos have demurred to fill their columns isn't one of them.

I also find it an interesting subject to discuss?  But we can't really have that I guess.
Don't look now, but it seems like you've had a discussion...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #510 on: March 22, 2021, 11:16:57 pm »
Are they? I've not really been following this but it seems to me that people's main objection with Wahl was that he seemed to be asking for the 'biggest clubs' to have a facilitated route to the final because he wants to see them there, for no other reason than that they are the putative 'biggest teams'.

That's something people this side of the pond will instinctively balk at, (as it's not part of the culture here), even if they also criticise the current set up. It's not the fact of criticism it's the content of the crit, and hence no hypocricy seems to be involved. 

Meanwhile, my point was that the journos who may be criticising the current set up would also probably criticise whatever other setup is in place. It's just something to do to fill space. There may well be plenty of reasons for criticising the current setup, but the fact that some journos have demurred to fill their columns isn't one of them.
Don't look now, but it seems like you've had a discussion...

I suppose it depends on what you view as the difference between biggest and best.  Grant's posting this because the College Basketball tournament is ongoing in which the accepted #1 team (Gonzaga) is not the biggest or even close to it.  So that's not exactly what you're stating.  I already said I don't agree with Grant's idea as people love draws for whatever reason.  With that said I think there is merit in some type of reform as basically you can almost guarantee which teams advance from the group stage almost before a ball is kicked.

As far as the writers, it looks to me that they're just criticizing an idea because of where it's coming from regardless of merit as amongst themselves they seem to have no problem bitching up a storm while offering nothing of value.  Not a big deal but again I thought it was hilariously hypocritical.  Could there be a better way to do it?  I honestly don't know.  I think there definitely could be a better way to do a 3rd tier and overall the ECA itself agrees the current system isn't good for the non-top 5 leagues health.

And yes, we are having a discussion it seems.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #511 on: March 22, 2021, 11:25:28 pm »
I suppose it depends on what you view as the difference between biggest and best.  Grant's posting this because the College Basketball tournament is ongoing in which the accepted #1 team (Gonzaga) is not the biggest or even close to it.  So that's not exactly what you're stating.  I already said I don't agree with Grant's idea as people love draws for whatever reason. With that said I think there is merit in some type of reform as basically you can almost guarantee which teams advance from the group stage almost before a ball is kicked.

As far as the writers, it looks to me that they're just criticizing an idea because of where it's coming from regardless of merit as amongst themselves they seem to have no problem bitching up a storm while offering nothing of value.  Not a big deal but again I thought it was hilariously hypocritical.  Could there be a better way to do it?  I honestly don't know.  I think there definitely could be a better way to do a 3rd tier and overall the ECA itself agrees the current system isn't good for the non-top 5 leagues health.

That isn't really true though.

Four of this years groups were close. Monchegladbach and Shaktar, Atalanta and Ajax, Lazio and Brugge and Leipzig and United were all competitive.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: March 23, 2021, 07:29:42 am »
I suppose it depends on what you view as the difference between biggest and best.  Grant's posting this because the College Basketball tournament is ongoing in which the accepted #1 team (Gonzaga) is not the biggest or even close to it.  So that's not exactly what you're stating.  I already said I don't agree with Grant's idea as people love draws for whatever reason.  With that said I think there is merit in some type of reform as basically you can almost guarantee which teams advance from the group stage almost before a ball is kicked.

Outside of massive reform that addresses the imbalance of clubs and leagues, or a time machine. I don't think there's much that can be done now to stop having most of your teams advancing being really obvious. Guess the only option would have been to just do an unseeded draw to try and force more competitive groups but that wouldn't be a guarantee.  The new system is going to be awful.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #513 on: March 23, 2021, 06:42:04 pm »
Real Madrid v Liverpool 1st leg to go ahead in Madrid (after all) at their reserve ground (The Alfredo Di Stefano Stadium)

https://theathletic.com/news/real-madrid-vs-liverpool-coronavirus/596MbfBFxHmG
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #514 on: March 25, 2021, 03:00:57 pm »
This competition is everything this season. We can just go for it and have some fun.

Without Virgil, we won't be favourites against almost anyone yet get Salah, Mane and Jota feeling sharp and we can score 2-3 versus anyone left.

Beat Madrid and we'll be bouncing. Cannot wait.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #515 on: March 29, 2021, 05:42:54 am »
This competition is everything this season. We can just go for it and have some fun.

Without Virgil, we won't be favourites against almost anyone yet get Salah, Mane and Jota feeling sharp and we can score 2-3 versus anyone left.

Beat Madrid and we'll be bouncing. Cannot wait.

Correct. Mo's in the mood to put Ramos and Roman to the sword. No better karma for our Egyptian King
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #516 on: March 29, 2021, 06:43:27 am »
Correct. Mo's in the mood to put Ramos and Roman to the sword. No better karma for our Egyptian King
And when everyone is focusing on Salah doing all those things, no one notices Jota slotting a pair of goals out of nowhere... I'd like our chances even against Bayern.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #517 on: March 29, 2021, 09:43:35 pm »
And when everyone is focusing on Salah doing all those things, no one notices Jota slotting a pair of goals out of nowhere... I'd like our chances even against Bayern.

Good shout
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #518 on: March 31, 2021, 10:22:49 am »
When we beat Barca it was Wij and Origi scoring so I don't panic about  the front three

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #519 on: March 31, 2021, 12:01:41 pm »

I also Sadio might be about to find some better form; he's now 5 months from having Covid and it took Trent about that time to recover this form, plus this 20 days 'break' should be good for Sadio even if he's with the international squad.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias